The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Xbox 360

8.6

1. Jan 19, 2011
    Oblivion is easily one of the best games I have ever played. The attention to detail is amazing, I was speechless after I left the first dungeon and began to explore the world.
  2. HughM.
    Oct 7, 2009
    This is the best game I have ever played.
  3. RedXIII
    Sep 1, 2006
    This game is perfect, there is absolutely nothing to complain about, the graphics are amazing, game play is flawless, sound is excellent, so many quests to complete, you can choose good or evil path, in depth customization, probably one of the best games I have ever played, this and final fantasy VII, if you don't have it run and buy it. If you like RPGs that is.
  4. Jun 13, 2011
    Though this has aged over the past 6 years,it's still one of the best games ever.In anticipation for Skyrim,I began again and put another hundred or so hours into it and despite some tech issues and somewhat dated graphics,I can still recommend it.Seriously,if you call yourself a gamer and have never played this,you are mistaken.
  5. Sep 13, 2010
    Not often do i give a game a perfect score. Oblivion offers a seamless world of fantasy and adventure. Add to that the ability to do whatever you want anytime and the choice to continue playing after you complete the game. This is truly a remarkable game, which can be enjoyed for countless hours even after you have beaten it.
  6. DerekM.
    Sep 25, 2009
    Now, I've seen some pretty harsh reviews. Not to criticize anyone in particular, but some people weren't skilled enough to look at their chart to see that they had vampirism so they gave it a zero. grow up. the graphics were beautiful for the time of release. the compelling story pushes the player to do every quest and collect all the deadric items. I love the game mechanics Now, I've seen some pretty harsh reviews. Not to criticize anyone in particular, but some people weren't skilled enough to look at their chart to see that they had vampirism so they gave it a zero. grow up. the graphics were beautiful for the time of release. the compelling story pushes the player to do every quest and collect all the deadric items. I love the game mechanics more than morrowind, as the combat system doesnt make your sword slash pass through an enemy as if you weren't holding anything at all, but morrowind had an overall better main quest. The contrast from the beautiful rolling hills and meadows to the bleak, fiery hell of oblivion keeps the player from getting too tired of the scenery. all in all, this is just one of the better games to come out. Now quit whining and get into the game before you give it a 0. Expand
  7. Jan 5, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Many games now a days are shooters so not many people consider an RPG to reach out to people as much as a shooter would but Oblivion does. Oblivion is one of the best games I have ever played it combines great graphics with amazing story telling and long lasting appeal I have been playing for almost a month now and I haven't even come close to being done with the first disc this game is HUGE. The Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion takes place in the imaginary province of Cyrodiil where you are a prisoner who has an extraordinary destiny and that is all I am gonna tell you. If you want to learn more about the story then go and play this game it will not waste your time I promise you What are you still doing here reading this go on GO play the game already!!!!! Expand
  8. MTM
    Mar 5, 2011
    One day in 2011 I decided that I wanted to play a new game for my Xbox 360. I wanted to get a game that was fun, but also had a great reviews. I was looking at my local BestBuy and found The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. The game was only $20 and I basically said why not. I bought it and fell in love with it. The graphics are outstanding even for 2011, the customization is endless.... thereOne day in 2011 I decided that I wanted to play a new game for my Xbox 360. I wanted to get a game that was fun, but also had a great reviews. I was looking at my local BestBuy and found The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. The game was only $20 and I basically said why not. I bought it and fell in love with it. The graphics are outstanding even for 2011, the customization is endless.... there are so many shops and so many things you can do. I'm about 6 hours into the game, understand that this game is over 100 hours long if you do everything that it has to offer. Don't listen to the haters, for a 2006 game it impresses gamers even from 2011 where we have Dead Space 2, Halo Reach, Killzone 3, and all the rest... Expand
  9. Apr 12, 2011
    Amazing game. I would say all Elder Scrolls game after Arena are amazingly good. Daggerfall was huge in size, Morrowind was amazing for immersion, and Oblivion has superior gameplay. One of the most addicting games I've played, meaning that when I got this back in 07-08 I fell in love for my whole summer. Games like this should have warnings on them "Stay away, HIGHLY ADDICTIVE". DownsidesAmazing game. I would say all Elder Scrolls game after Arena are amazingly good. Daggerfall was huge in size, Morrowind was amazing for immersion, and Oblivion has superior gameplay. One of the most addicting games I've played, meaning that when I got this back in 07-08 I fell in love for my whole summer. Games like this should have warnings on them "Stay away, HIGHLY ADDICTIVE". Downsides are minor and I do not even mind them much. Things like repetitive combat and bad AI at times. It does not ruin the game for me. Large scale area, multiple quests, and combat suited for a RPG. The graphics were amazing for 06, and the water is still beautiful to look at. The textures could use some work but that doesn't really hinder this game at all. Lets hope Bethesda makes Skyrim even better then all the other games combined. Oh and you can play after you beat the game....Fallout take notes. Expand
  10. May 6, 2011
    Oblivion is without any shadow of a dought one of the best rpg games i have ever played. The graphics at the time of release where exceptional the gameplay more importantly was engrossing. There was also a development and leveling up system which was interesting and worthwhile putting the extra time into. The characters and the storyline left you feeling that you where in a world of yourOblivion is without any shadow of a dought one of the best rpg games i have ever played. The graphics at the time of release where exceptional the gameplay more importantly was engrossing. There was also a development and leveling up system which was interesting and worthwhile putting the extra time into. The characters and the storyline left you feeling that you where in a world of your own. Too many rpg games since oblivion are banging out incredible graphics at the expense of having a good solid storyline. Many developers out there should be looking at oblivion and realising that you have to get the storyline and plot interesting in order for in rpg game to be good. The weapon functionality in terms of upgrading your equipment (armour and swords) is fantastic you are always on the lookout for better gear, this is one thing that oblivion done briliantly. To many recent rpgs have very little focus on this aspect eg the witcher.

Finally i would like to sat that i hope oblivion skyrim is just as good if not better than oblivion, the omens are looking good because they say there will be dragons and dragon language. Now that soiunds goooood.
  11. po0<livegamertag
    Apr 7, 2006
    Not without its minor flaws but as said before by others the flaws dont impact the gameplay at all. Its totally addictive and i havent been able to not play it for a single day since release day. The game leaves you with a sense of achievement and to most gamers thats important (whats the point in investing your time if you get nothing back) and i have to say becoming guild master of theNot without its minor flaws but as said before by others the flaws dont impact the gameplay at all. Its totally addictive and i havent been able to not play it for a single day since release day. The game leaves you with a sense of achievement and to most gamers thats important (whats the point in investing your time if you get nothing back) and i have to say becoming guild master of the dark brotherhood has been the most rewarding moment so far, but even the minor quests leave you patting your own back. If you werent a Morrowind fan dont be put off (i couldnt get into Morrowind either) its easy to get into the hardest part is putting it down. Even if you get it for the pure fact it will last you more than the standard 5 - 8 hours that most games last its worth it. My one gripe is the lack of things to spend money on other than a house (i have 3 already) there is nothing worth purchasing as much better items can be found on quests or exploring?? Expand
  12. AB
    Mar 2, 2008
    Greatest single player game of al time. A few small glitches, but nothing major
  13. CarlJ.
    Mar 22, 2006
    Wow! Nougaty and smooth visuals, powerful greaves and gauntlets, horses you can ride! Do yourself a favor and detach yourselves from the the things to which you are attached. Enormous rats and goblins! Lovely.
  14. KevinS.
    Mar 24, 2006
    Tired of cookie-cutter FedEx quests? Tired of braindead, linear roleplaying? Pick up this game for either the PC or the Xbox 360 (I've played both) and you will not be disappointed. Forget the graphics elitists - no other game has a draw distance this far and a free-roaming world this big (16 sq. miles). If you only play games for the graphics, go pick up Far Cry or Half-Life 2. But Tired of cookie-cutter FedEx quests? Tired of braindead, linear roleplaying? Pick up this game for either the PC or the Xbox 360 (I've played both) and you will not be disappointed. Forget the graphics elitists - no other game has a draw distance this far and a free-roaming world this big (16 sq. miles). If you only play games for the graphics, go pick up Far Cry or Half-Life 2. But if you want a virtual sandbox that allows you to do everything you can imagine and more - a world that allows you to create your own storyline - a world rich with lore, personality, and a sense of epic adventure...Oblivion is the game for you. I had my doubts upon first playing. I'd seen the E3 videos and noticed how some aspects had been trimmed in order to make the game playable on today's machines. One long 10-hour play session later and none of that matters. My Assassin is gaining reknown in Cyrodill as a dangerous thief. Woe to he who dares cross my path! Expand
  15. JonS.
    Mar 30, 2006
    Dont get me wrong, I love this game, but it really should have been released as the last great game on the Xbox rather than a full 360 release. It just doesnt give me that next gen feeling! In itself though, its still a great game just on the wrong console.
  16. DarinB.
    Mar 30, 2006
    If you like RPGs, stop reading now! Go get Oblivion. Fantastic visuals, engrossing gameplay, open-ended play all adds up to some addictive gaming that makes you wonder where all of your time went.
  17. Decompiler
    Apr 10, 2006
    I've sunk over 5 hours into this thing since it came out less than two weeks ago, but i've barely scratched the surface. massive seems like an understatement...
  18. DavidF
    Apr 13, 2006
    Finally a game that is worth buying on the 360.
  19. CiaranG.
    Apr 29, 2006
    I've never liked RPG games (because they all involve magic spells, witchcraft, dragons and awful cr*p like that) but Oblivion is one RPG I like! Oblivion is outstanding! The graphics are fantastic. On my first time playing it, I played it for 3 hours. After creating a character and watching the intro screens the game started. Basically, you start off in a prison cell where you have I've never liked RPG games (because they all involve magic spells, witchcraft, dragons and awful cr*p like that) but Oblivion is one RPG I like! Oblivion is outstanding! The graphics are fantastic. On my first time playing it, I played it for 3 hours. After creating a character and watching the intro screens the game started. Basically, you start off in a prison cell where you have to escape. This is part of the tutorial (although you wouldn't know it). The game is easy enough to navigate, the controls are easy enough but there is a lot of inventory screens etc. My character made his way through the sewers and then I managed to get out. It was night. You can see the stars in the sky, the moon and then all around you can see for miles. The best bit is that you can go to any of the places you see. The world is beautiful. There are load times but they don't really afftect gameplay. There also seems to be an unlimited amount of things to do. I had the choice to do whatever I wanted. You can buy things like horses and houses, you can walk into homes and steal people's possessions, grab some food or take a kip in their beds when they're not there. I can't imagine how long was spent making the game. You can just walk around in the countryside, over the hills and streams and meet other people. Animals spend their time all around the place. Also, random things happen like for example whilst exploring a fort in the middle of a forest, a highwayman runs in and asks for my money. I agreed to his demand but he decided he wanted to kill me anyway.. then you can either make a quick escape or stop and fight. The animals and NPC's all have ragdoll physics when they die. The combat system is good. etc. Expand
  20. MichaelF.
    Apr 30, 2006
    its like a updated version of runescape.
  21. GeoffreyMaxwell
    Apr 3, 2006
    A Flawed Masterpiece. Hence 9 and not 10. The way in which this game manages to combine sheer brilliance with down right glitchyness reminds me of Knights of the Old Republic. But like KOTOR its just so good that it can be easily forgiven. To be more specific- sometimes the game pause for a few seconds to load, if this happens when you're being attacked by a wolf, it can get a bit A Flawed Masterpiece. Hence 9 and not 10. The way in which this game manages to combine sheer brilliance with down right glitchyness reminds me of Knights of the Old Republic. But like KOTOR its just so good that it can be easily forgiven. To be more specific- sometimes the game pause for a few seconds to load, if this happens when you're being attacked by a wolf, it can get a bit gittery, the sound can go for a few seconds. Sometimes it takes a while for my character to get off his horse when I tell him too but none of these things are too serious. Plus It has crashed twice with me in my 30 hours play so far. However this was not a problem because the game regularly autosaves so I lost very little. If you do buy it, I recommend saving regularly in a seperate file though. Anyway! enough about the negatives, this game is simply the most ambitious adventure game ever with a vast world, number of items, and levelling up system. Above all other things though this game is simply beautiful. The amount of time I have spent just enjoying the scenery. I can almost smell the flowers and feel the breeze blowing from my new HD TV. A must buy for any aventure gamer or rpg fan. Expand
  22. SeanR.
    May 7, 2006
    The game is a blast to play, and the few problems it has, such as an inconsistent frame rate and frequent loading are overcome by the beauty of this game and how much work was put in to it. The best game on the 360, and the most enjoyable game in years.
  23. BobE.
    Aug 3, 2007
    awsome, is about the only word that sums up this game it is massive. i know other people who have been playing for 6 months and still havent completed it yet.
  24. ChrisG.
    Mar 20, 2008
    This game, I think, is the best 360 game ever made for the console. This game has everything you want for an RPG.
  25. AbdulM.
    Aug 20, 2008
    This game is awesome. Everything you'd want from an rpg. Brilliant.
  26. AndrewBedgood
    Jan 10, 2009
    Oblivion is the kind of game where you can lose many hours and your social life, but you won't care when doing so. There are so many things to do and places to explore that even nearly 3 years after it's release you won't be at a loss of new discoveries.
  27. Amaru
    Jan 2, 2009
    One of those game's you not only never forget, but one you can actually come back to over and over. collectivly, over 4 play through's, I've spent about 350 hours on this game and I still find new things. How many games can you say that about? Missions come out of nowhere that always take you by suprise, there's a hundred things to do in a hundred different ways, and One of those game's you not only never forget, but one you can actually come back to over and over. collectivly, over 4 play through's, I've spent about 350 hours on this game and I still find new things. How many games can you say that about? Missions come out of nowhere that always take you by suprise, there's a hundred things to do in a hundred different ways, and to top it off it has incredible music too. Bad points? Glitchy graphic at times, invisible walls, about 5 voice actors for about 500 characters...and...well, that's all I can think of. If you like adventure games, and you like games that have real substance and depth, then this is the game for you. Expand
  28. DeanS.
    Mar 21, 2006
    Absolutely fabulous game. Stunning graphics, addictive gameplay, much improved combat system over Morrowind. Although Gamerfeed gave it only a 90, they were right when they said that this game alone is worth the purchase price of the Xbox 360.
  29. TedB.
    Mar 21, 2006
    beautiful just beautiful a must have and proof that RPG's on 360 are going to be a most wonderful thing this time around. pure eye candy.
  30. PlixikWhommings
    Mar 22, 2006
    This is the best game ive played in a long time. its addicting as hell and worth a lot more than your $60
  31. LyleB.
    Mar 22, 2006
    Incredible. 12 hours into the game and I can't put it down. Morrowind was fun and this improves and expands on that game by leaps and bounds. THE GOOD: visuals and technical "wow" factor (for the sake of immersion) - storyline that makes you care - combat - scope/size (never feel lost though) - moral choices - adventure elements - horses - great voice acting - it's fun (a lot of Incredible. 12 hours into the game and I can't put it down. Morrowind was fun and this improves and expands on that game by leaps and bounds. THE GOOD: visuals and technical "wow" factor (for the sake of immersion) - storyline that makes you care - combat - scope/size (never feel lost though) - moral choices - adventure elements - horses - great voice acting - it's fun (a lot of games forget about this) THE BAD: Some framerate hiccups (usually on horseback in the wilderness) and jumping off the horse to fight is awkward. THE VERDICT: it's heading up my best game ever list. Expand
  32. JackH.
    Mar 23, 2006
    Just WOW! Buy this game today!
  33. Catraven
    Mar 23, 2006
    Sheer beauty- I was awestruck! This game was definitely worth the wait. I would recommend this beauty to anyone who is an RPG fan! The music is incredible, the graphics are exquisite and the interface is a vast improvement over Morrowind.
  34. JohnnyA.
    Mar 24, 2006
    If I could rate higher I would. I was very new to this series and optimistic to all the hype about this game. But oh my gosh this game is insane!!! I played it for 6 hours straight and it felt like 10 minutes passed. I will not lie it starts off slow like one person said but after you hit the wilderness, look out. This game went beyond all my expectations. I am floored by how deep and how If I could rate higher I would. I was very new to this series and optimistic to all the hype about this game. But oh my gosh this game is insane!!! I played it for 6 hours straight and it felt like 10 minutes passed. I will not lie it starts off slow like one person said but after you hit the wilderness, look out. This game went beyond all my expectations. I am floored by how deep and how much this game has to offer. This game is a must have and if you dont have it, Buy it! This game is almost overwhelming in a good way with all the possiblilities. I kind of trailed off and started deer hunting for a while but made my way back to the trail. This game is Freakin amazing. I was never in to RPG but after this I cant put it down. What a sweet game!! Expand
  35. MikeB.
    Mar 25, 2006
    A very well rounded game, with an extremely open ended quest system as well as numerous locations for said quests. Somewhat limited selection of items.
  36. Aaron
    Mar 25, 2006
    Don't Rent this game, You will have hundreds of dollars of overdue fines
  37. MiguelG.
    Mar 25, 2006
    This can't be described in words. Developer should win a Nobel.
  38. JianyM.
    Best ever, IGN this deserves more than 9.3
  39. KidSix
    Mar 27, 2006
    Ignore the haters. If you like RPG's and actually want to take the time to put some thought and effort into the games you play, Oblivion is a great game. Haters just don't like it because they only focus on the negatives. Granted, there are a few, but not enough to take away from the overall game experience. I only gave it a nine because I don't think there has ever been a Ignore the haters. If you like RPG's and actually want to take the time to put some thought and effort into the games you play, Oblivion is a great game. Haters just don't like it because they only focus on the negatives. Granted, there are a few, but not enough to take away from the overall game experience. I only gave it a nine because I don't think there has ever been a perfect game and I can't give it a 9.7. Expand
  40. JordanM.
    Mar 27, 2006
    Amazing. Truly an RPG masterpiece. This game offers such an amazing escape from the reoccuring quests in other rpgs. Amazing storytelling, and voiceovers give every character in the game such a great depth. Hours and hours will be spent on this game in years to come. You can either play it the linear way (which i dont know how it is possible) and go from mission to mission and ignore the Amazing. Truly an RPG masterpiece. This game offers such an amazing escape from the reoccuring quests in other rpgs. Amazing storytelling, and voiceovers give every character in the game such a great depth. Hours and hours will be spent on this game in years to come. You can either play it the linear way (which i dont know how it is possible) and go from mission to mission and ignore the HUMONGOUS expansive environment that is just waiting for you, which will take you around 20+ hours. Or, you can explore everything and see what just how much content there is that never gets boring that offers over 200+ hours of gameplay. And dont worry, you can always use instant travel, which enables you to get everywhere quickly with no boring travels. Or if youd like, you can travel it on foot or by horse or whatever :D. Greatness, and so many ways to play it in so many different ways depending on your character type. Ill be enjoying this for years to come! Expand
  41. GeoffH.
    Mar 28, 2006
    I can only assume those with popup are playing on a 360 - On a good PC with the draw distance turned up, you can see for chuffing MILES. Those moaning about load times Are you playing on a 360 ? ON a good PC they are virtually non existant. Conclusion. Oblivion = fantastic XBOX360 = Already supersceded by top of the range PC (and games cost 40% for a "worse" experience and no free add ons I can only assume those with popup are playing on a 360 - On a good PC with the draw distance turned up, you can see for chuffing MILES. Those moaning about load times Are you playing on a 360 ? ON a good PC they are virtually non existant. Conclusion. Oblivion = fantastic XBOX360 = Already supersceded by top of the range PC (and games cost 40% for a "worse" experience and no free add ons from the community). Expand
  42. LaurensM.
    Apr 18, 2006
    This is like it's previous another splendid work from Bethesda. Unbelievable how they improve theirselves once again. You can't give it lower than a 9, yes, it has a few bugs, but they are no so disturbing you can't play any further. My eyes hurt from playing this game. No words can explain this.
  43. monkey.butter
    Apr 18, 2006
    FANTASTIC! This game is the best I have ever played! Sure, there are annoyances like the hurendous load times that seem to pop up everywhere but these can be soothed (not totaly fixed though) by emptying the 360's cache (hold "a" when starting machine). Another problem that is easily be fixed is the SOUTHPAW controls. Just edit the controler settings in the xbox dashboard-it'sFANTASTIC! This game is the best I have ever played! Sure, there are annoyances like the hurendous load times that seem to pop up everywhere but these can be soothed (not totaly fixed though) by emptying the 360's cache (hold "a" when starting machine). Another problem that is easily be fixed is the SOUTHPAW controls. Just edit the controler settings in the xbox dashboard-it's that easy! The last fix I can offer is the sound glitch. Sound seems to cut out every few seconds on cut scenes. Again, change the settings on the xbox itself will fix this. Change the hz from standard 50 to 60 and all will become clear!
    Now I'm not a huge RPG fan but this game changed all that! I'm completely addicted to it and can't stop playing!
    BONUS: a superb gaming experience that any gamer (RPG buff or not) cannot afford to miss
    DOWNSIDES: The continueous lagging that sometimes happens will the 360 tries to load all the immense data. Thankfully (as stated earlier) this can be helped.
  44. PaulM.
    Apr 3, 2006
    I'm into games, but I'm skittish - I'll play for an hour then move on. But once in a while a game like this happens, and you just want to sue the creators for ruining your life. It's not just the time you'll spend on it - it's the fact that it makes the real world seem utterly dull by comparison.
  45. KeithD.
    Apr 4, 2006
    Just a top quaility game!
  46. ElectricMonk
    May 10, 2006
    An absolute masterpiece! If there was ever a question regarding whether or not video games have a place in the world of art (i.e. motion pictures, music albums, books, paintings, etc.), "Oblivion" should--in every possible way--dismiss the negativists and clear the field of cynics and critics. This is not only art, it is fine art, as well as one heck of an RPG, one whose character An absolute masterpiece! If there was ever a question regarding whether or not video games have a place in the world of art (i.e. motion pictures, music albums, books, paintings, etc.), "Oblivion" should--in every possible way--dismiss the negativists and clear the field of cynics and critics. This is not only art, it is fine art, as well as one heck of an RPG, one whose character development alone will immerse your mind in creative juices for hours and hours. Expand
  47. DavidS.
    May 8, 2006
    This is an awesome game... putting loadtimes aside... the fact that the game wont end thanks to expansions over the xbox marketplace is the best idea... at first its a lil confusing but youll get the hang of it.
  48. KyleM.
    Jun 4, 2006
    graphics;amazing, storyline;amazing, everything; amzaing. enough said!
  49. CoryD.
    Dec 27, 2007
    It's as fast or as mellow as you want it to be.. Watch the sun set over the water while listening to the birds chirping, or delve into a nasty cave to beat-down some nasties and get some loot in the process... The sheer scale of the world, and the hours that could be spent playing this one is amazing.
  50. ColinP.
    Feb 1, 2007
    This game built on all the things that Elder Scrolls 3 lacks. Graphics, Gameplay, they simplified traveling, added a compass with a director pointing you toward your next stop in your quest. Overall an EXCELLENT game! I recommend it to anyone and everyone, rookies and vets to RPGs alike!
  51. DanielP.
    Apr 15, 2007
    This game is great. It has a good and unique leveling system, tons of stuff to do, and hundreds of hours of main quest and side quest.
  52. Kirana
    Apr 29, 2007
    it's a fantastic game! i could literally make any character - the face adjustment software is great. and it allows you to customise your class, and so do anything you want! i'll definitely still have this game for a long, long time. replayability is magnificent, and definitely incredible value for money. excellent for RPG gamers, maybe not so much for gamers that prefer a it's a fantastic game! i could literally make any character - the face adjustment software is great. and it allows you to customise your class, and so do anything you want! i'll definitely still have this game for a long, long time. replayability is magnificent, and definitely incredible value for money. excellent for RPG gamers, maybe not so much for gamers that prefer a linear, to-the-point structure, but hey, they already have so many other games! Expand
  53. DarrenForster
    Jun 22, 2007
    An excellent game, the game is so huge, unlike some games there is no going over and over the same thing to try and get further on in the game. It keeps going with new challenges all the time and constantly finding new places to explore, you just can't wait to find out what task you'll be given next or what new suprise you'll find out next.
  54. Matt
    Aug 4, 2007
    Oblivion isn
  55. ChrisC.
    Aug 9, 2007
    The good: It's obviously so expansive, and they obviously put a lot of hard work into making it a really diverse experience. The bad: If you're not used to playing western-style RPGs it's a lot less accessible. The game just sort of throws you in the world, assuming you are used to the way these sorts of games play. The good but other people have called bad: The way it The good: It's obviously so expansive, and they obviously put a lot of hard work into making it a really diverse experience. The bad: If you're not used to playing western-style RPGs it's a lot less accessible. The game just sort of throws you in the world, assuming you are used to the way these sorts of games play. The good but other people have called bad: The way it penalizes you for powerleveling. Powerleveling is lame. It's boring and it rewards you for just wasting a lot of time doing easy stuff over and over instead of successfully doing anything hard. Games *ought* to penalize you for just walking around doing rote tasks over and over. It's about time. Expand
  56. JoeM.
    Sep 24, 2007
    A good game, what stops it from getting a ten is its occasional performance issues, which I dont understand, given the power of the 360.
  57. I.L.
    Sep 4, 2007
    One of thte true masterpiecs of the last 5 years. Considering the size of the game, the few problems are instantly forgivable.
  58. JoE
    Mar 13, 2008
    OMG! This game has consumed up easy 500 hours of my life ( I kid you not, I've counted ) So much to do and you can almost always find a quest to do. yes a game with this much in it is bound to have its glitches. I found one the other day where you can walk on air! but still the small flaws in the game match nothing up to its... Everything... OMG!
  59. ChristianC.
    Sep 8, 2008
    This game is the best RPG I've played in my life. Oblivion has incredible graphics, sounds and music. Absorving stories and almost an infinite world. You play the way you want, the game follows your pace and it's never linear. I've got 300 hours playing this game and still have things to do! (and still enjoying it). If you don't like this game... that's because This game is the best RPG I've played in my life. Oblivion has incredible graphics, sounds and music. Absorving stories and almost an infinite world. You play the way you want, the game follows your pace and it's never linear. I've got 300 hours playing this game and still have things to do! (and still enjoying it). If you don't like this game... that's because you don't like RPGs, period. Expand
  60. maxs
    Oct 11, 2009
    I love how Abram T. just kept on rambling about how the game sucks and how it is so horrible when in actuallity it ism one of the best games on the 360.. Wow, it is just so funny, wait here i will try. Oblivion the worst game ive ever played. It is horrible that I kept throwing up whenever i ran into a person when it poped up in the game and had to go to the emergency room because an I love how Abram T. just kept on rambling about how the game sucks and how it is so horrible when in actuallity it ism one of the best games on the 360.. Wow, it is just so funny, wait here i will try. Oblivion the worst game ive ever played. It is horrible that I kept throwing up whenever i ran into a person when it poped up in the game and had to go to the emergency room because an enemy kept chasing me to hell. I broke five of my controllers when I died, and the level system ended up making me start cutting myself and I went insane, killing my whole family, and now because of oblivion, i am in s mental institution! Expand
  61. ZackR
    Oct 2, 2009
    This is the best game I have ever played! Mainly because there is no way to do everything in the game with one charactor. But the game is also very complex. Unless you just go on the internet and everything before hand. Personally I did everything I could before even looking it up on the internet.
  62. MattM
    Mar 30, 2009
    Possibly the single greatest game i have ever played. having played many *Perfect* games before i have always found myself coming back to Oblivion. This game has reset my expectations for all other rpgs. sure there are a few bugs here and there but considering the size on oblivion i am suprised there arent more.A game as important to its genre as wow is to the MMO's or Total war is Possibly the single greatest game i have ever played. having played many *Perfect* games before i have always found myself coming back to Oblivion. This game has reset my expectations for all other rpgs. sure there are a few bugs here and there but considering the size on oblivion i am suprised there arent more.A game as important to its genre as wow is to the MMO's or Total war is to strategy. As close to perfect as i could ever hope: 100/100. Expand
  63. MattC
    Jul 22, 2009
    Great game on it's design and scope. The story and interactivity with NPCs and items in the game are incredible. The character customization is also very well done. The biggest downfall of the game is the repetitve combat, and ridiculously long loading screens. Traveling around in a big city and long distances can take almost a minute in the load screen. I know that doesn't Great game on it's design and scope. The story and interactivity with NPCs and items in the game are incredible. The character customization is also very well done. The biggest downfall of the game is the repetitve combat, and ridiculously long loading screens. Traveling around in a big city and long distances can take almost a minute in the load screen. I know that doesn't sound like much, but after reading this, stare at a clock for 60 seconds and tell me that isn't a long time to wait on a regular basis. But what can you expect from such a huge game. It's definitely a must play. Expand
  64. AnthonyV.
    Oct 16, 2006
    One of the greatest games ever made - as long as you don't look too deeply into its flaws and just enjoy it at face value. Yeah, there's pop-in and occasional loading hiccups - they're not game breakers. What are game breakers are the various exploits that can be utilized, such as enchanting all of your clothing with a chameleon spell, allowing you to spend the rest of the One of the greatest games ever made - as long as you don't look too deeply into its flaws and just enjoy it at face value. Yeah, there's pop-in and occasional loading hiccups - they're not game breakers. What are game breakers are the various exploits that can be utilized, such as enchanting all of your clothing with a chameleon spell, allowing you to spend the rest of the game invisible to do whatever the heck you want with no repercussions (there goes all the challenge). The leveling system is also horribly flawed and uneven, a problem which can be remedied by a difficulty slider. Other than that, if you're willing to just explore the 300+ hours of material in this game and not focus on the nitpicky negative stuff and occasional (and unavoidable) glitches, this game is a blast. Expand
  65. FredB.
    Oct 16, 2006
    This game is great, the graphics a perfect and the wide open world is amazing, but I can see where a person can get overwhelmed by how open it is. The game is great.
  66. Vusta
    Mar 21, 2006
    Very polished and solid game. Bethesda's extra time has been well spent. The open ended gameplay really lets you play the game how you want. Graphics are pretty awe inspiring (character art still isn't to good though) and the draw distance is amazing. CC is fantastic and allows for some varied looking characters. Some minor issues with graphical draw-in and pop-up, and some Very polished and solid game. Bethesda's extra time has been well spent. The open ended gameplay really lets you play the game how you want. Graphics are pretty awe inspiring (character art still isn't to good though) and the draw distance is amazing. CC is fantastic and allows for some varied looking characters. Some minor issues with graphical draw-in and pop-up, and some blurry mip'd textures, but in no way does it take anything away from this incredible experience. Expand
  67. JeffT.
    Mar 21, 2006
    Amazing. Cast a fireball across two pillars and a statue.... blew me away. The new combat system rocks, too.
  68. JMac.
    Not a single flaw.
  69. MarkA.
    Mar 22, 2006
    WOW!!!, i cannot begin to describe this AMAZING game. Few flaws......gameplay- AMAZING!!!
  70. IanH.
    Mar 22, 2006
    Having played all the previous ones in the series, I can definetely says this is one is the best. Incredible draw distance, combat has been hugely improved also. Simply a must buy!
  71. Rol
    Mar 23, 2006
    Don S. gives it a 2. If Oblivion is 2 out of 10 then everything he says should be ignored. There are compromises with the graphics and AI but it is called a game, remember that Don S. Like morrowind then you'll love this, hate morrowind then in the long run you won't enjoy this. Easily the most ambitious and content filled game on the 360 and this for me gives it a 10. But theDon S. gives it a 2. If Oblivion is 2 out of 10 then everything he says should be ignored. There are compromises with the graphics and AI but it is called a game, remember that Don S. Like morrowind then you'll love this, hate morrowind then in the long run you won't enjoy this. Easily the most ambitious and content filled game on the 360 and this for me gives it a 10. But the good thing is the idiots who whinge about this game are in the minority and you can easily ignore their dumb preconceptions of what a game should be because they clearly don't know. Expand
  72. T.H.
    Mar 23, 2006
    I've only played the game for about three hours, but can't wait to get back to it. The initial character creation was a little cumbersome. Too many ways to shift a cheek bone and not enough with adjusting body types, tatoos/markings, etc. Wasn't overly impressed with the initial dungeon/sewer escape scene either. But since it was designed to be a tutorial, I guess I can I've only played the game for about three hours, but can't wait to get back to it. The initial character creation was a little cumbersome. Too many ways to shift a cheek bone and not enough with adjusting body types, tatoos/markings, etc. Wasn't overly impressed with the initial dungeon/sewer escape scene either. But since it was designed to be a tutorial, I guess I can overlook that. Once I exited the sewer I was smacked right square in the face with an amazing environment to explore. The draw distance detail isn't that great - yada yada yada. But what do you expect for a world that big. The up-close detail is incredible. Elevations are also done quite well. As you climb upward on steep terrain, you do feel a sense of height. One of the truly breath taking views I came across was climbing up to the top of a snowcapped mountain by horseback and overlooking the entire kingdom as the sun was setting. It was truly amazing to watch the sun set behind the mountains and create that pink/purple-ish glow illuminating from behind the mountain range. Even the clouds reflected the colors of the sunset against the black star-filled sky as the final evidence of daylight disappeared for the night. That scene combined with the great soundtrack playing in the background created one of those truly epic moments you've always hoped could be achieved someday in gaming. If you've ever enjoyed playing RPGs, whether hard core or casual, you MUST get this game. Expand
    Mar 23, 2006
    A true next-gen game. The graphics and sound are breathtaking and the game mechanics are better than Morrowind. This game defines what an RPG should be.
  74. SteveT.
    Mar 23, 2006
    I finally got to sit down and play Oblivion last night. I suppose I will parrot everyone else when I say how amazing this game is. I spent about an hour just customizing a damn blue orc. After that I just got pulled into the game. The tutorial mode runs pretty straight forward, but after that the game just explodes. I spent the rest of the night travelling from the sewers to the imperial I finally got to sit down and play Oblivion last night. I suppose I will parrot everyone else when I say how amazing this game is. I spent about an hour just customizing a damn blue orc. After that I just got pulled into the game. The tutorial mode runs pretty straight forward, but after that the game just explodes. I spent the rest of the night travelling from the sewers to the imperial city. I found a cave on the way, killed everything that moved and scored some loot. I figured I would upgrade my gear before I moved on and headed to the city. I spent another couple of hours on a quest I picked up from the merchants who sold me stuff. It was crazy! I can't belive how involved you have to be to play this game. It will take a huge effort for me to stay focused at work and school the next couple of weeks. All I want to do is jam home and play this game. Don't wait, don't rent. Own it and then it will Pwn you Expand
  75. Nick
    Mar 23, 2006
    Best value for the gaming dollar EVER (aside from Baldur's Gate games, anyway)!
  76. WejRepus
    Mar 24, 2006
    The MUST HAVE GAME for the 360. This game is so amazing!
  77. MichaelC.
    Mar 24, 2006
    Best game ever. Amazing visuals and gameplay with great controls. Play this game. Do it now. You need to.
  78. NelsonP.
    Mar 24, 2006
    One of the greatest games I have ever played. Period.
  79. GeraldH.
    Mar 24, 2006
    This is the best rpg ever made. Ive only had it for 3 days and Ive played 10 hours of it and iam not even halfway into the story! This game is detailed and the A.I. IS AMAZING.Gameplay is 100 tmes better than morrowind and the graphics are just eye candy. The sound is awsome especialy the musical score whichsounds like a mix of like the LOTR score and a an action movie score. So far its This is the best rpg ever made. Ive only had it for 3 days and Ive played 10 hours of it and iam not even halfway into the story! This game is detailed and the A.I. IS AMAZING.Gameplay is 100 tmes better than morrowind and the graphics are just eye candy. The sound is awsome especialy the musical score whichsounds like a mix of like the LOTR score and a an action movie score. So far its the best 360 game up to date. Expand
  80. NickDanger
    Mar 24, 2006
    Everything is f....ing awseome. The thing that stands out the most are the quests. There's rarely any fetching quests. Even then they're lively and engaging.
  81. GregP.
    Mar 24, 2006
    This is just one hell of a game.
  82. DrewM.
    Mar 25, 2006
    I don't know why all of these pure masterpieces of games have been getting all of these low scores by the press. I think either they're getting paid, or they just can't accept the fact that the '360 is actually beating everyone else. This is the game to own all others, and it will decimate your social life from day one. A must have for everyone. If you don't have I don't know why all of these pure masterpieces of games have been getting all of these low scores by the press. I think either they're getting paid, or they just can't accept the fact that the '360 is actually beating everyone else. This is the game to own all others, and it will decimate your social life from day one. A must have for everyone. If you don't have an Xbox 360 yet, go get one. Now. Expand
  83. CarcasGalactic
    Mar 25, 2006
    Adicted Adicted Must keep playing game is so cool Cant sleep Must play.
  84. JP
    Mar 25, 2006
    If you liked Fable... This is Fable on Steroids multiplied by ten.
  85. Dec 30, 2011
    One of the best games ever created. Massive world,massive amount of customization,amazing graphics, beautiful soundtrack and touching story makes Oblivion an experience of lifetime. Oblivion improves everything from Morrowind. Get ready to lose your social life
  86. Sep 25, 2011
    An all time classic of the genre, and the benchmark for all other console based RPGs. Perhaps a bit dated now, however still worthy of a playthrough if you haven't experienced it, especially considering how cheaply you can pick it up.
  87. Oct 4, 2011
    Fun Factor: 10

Score: 8.4/10 = A-
  88. MerrillL.
    Apr 4, 2006
    First off, this is only the 2nd RPG I've ever played besides Jade Empire. With that said, this is one of the most fun and immersive games I've ever played! I've only been able to play about 4 hours so far but am definitely looking forward to many more. For non-RPGers, I would suggest renting this with an option to buy (like Gamefly) because this is a game that is definitely First off, this is only the 2nd RPG I've ever played besides Jade Empire. With that said, this is one of the most fun and immersive games I've ever played! I've only been able to play about 4 hours so far but am definitely looking forward to many more. For non-RPGers, I would suggest renting this with an option to buy (like Gamefly) because this is a game that is definitely worth the $60 and worth investing time in! Expand
  89. TonyL.
    May 9, 2006
    The best game of all times (besides oblivion) i love this game i have a sorcerer with all stats at 100 lvl 82 and i have beaten the game. i will always continue to play this game long after it is outrated.
  90. LouiseD.
    Jun 22, 2006
    This is the best RPG I've ever played- it gives you almost complete freedom and entertains for well over 100 hours. The graphics are fantastic and although the plot isn't as strong as some other RPGs, the gameplay more than makes up for it.
  91. KaieL.
    Feb 3, 2007
    Oblivion 4 has to be the easiest game ever when it comes to user-friendliness. My boyfriend had bought the game before ever moved in, and in that time, lost the manual as well. I am not a big fan of computer games, but even I can play oblivion 4 without the instruction manual.
  92. B.S.
    May 30, 2007
    Okay - the game is a little slow at times, the leveling system is worse than broken (just go read the various leveling guides out there to find some of the pitfalls), and there's a lot to do. The game has its shortfalls. However, it STILL marks the best reasonably current American RPG on the market, and that's worth something. You don't have to be an RPG fan - I have a Okay - the game is a little slow at times, the leveling system is worse than broken (just go read the various leveling guides out there to find some of the pitfalls), and there's a lot to do. The game has its shortfalls. However, it STILL marks the best reasonably current American RPG on the market, and that's worth something. You don't have to be an RPG fan - I have a friend who plays mostly shooters and this is the only RPG he likes - but you do have to have some degree of patience, which is what might be throwing some people. If you can take a game that doesn't rush you from point to point (a la Resident Evil or Gears of War, which are also excellent games), this is a must-have. Expand
  93. ScottE.
    Mar 22, 2006
    Your $60 will go far! Easily the best RPG so far this year. Beautiful graphics, massive world to explore and awesome gameplay make this a must own title for the 360.
  94. GabeC.
    Mar 27, 2006
    If you didn't like Morrowind... don't buy this game. This game is an Action/HackNSlash game on top of an Explore Everything game. The experience that you get from this is what you make for yourself. There is no single game that has what this game has. It is truly a Next Gen game. People will complain about single aspects of this game being better somewhere else... But to do what If you didn't like Morrowind... don't buy this game. This game is an Action/HackNSlash game on top of an Explore Everything game. The experience that you get from this is what you make for yourself. There is no single game that has what this game has. It is truly a Next Gen game. People will complain about single aspects of this game being better somewhere else... But to do what they've done in a single game is amazing. Whoever complains about this game should tell everybody the game that exists that does all that Oblivion does (Yes, I'm pointing at you FPS Master)... Bravo Bethesda! Brilliant! Expand
  95. BrandonE.
    May 6, 2006
    The best game I've ever played. Starts out slow, but then really picks up. Massive game and the more you play, the less load time it takes. It seems you could get a side quest from almost any person you talk to. The graphics just blew me away. I've been playing about triple the amount of hours on this game than I did before I had it.
  96. CorbinC.
    May 6, 2006
    This game, is litterally, THE BEST i have EVER seen in graphics and storyline.
  97. GuangmianK.
    Nov 12, 2006
    This game is extremely beautiful, with little objects and items and arts in every town and room, and together with the warm glow of the lighting everywhere in the game, really makes it feel like a real world. The gameplay is very interesting and only gets boring after about like... 100++ hours?
  98. KelR.
    Mar 23, 2006
    I think that if you're going to be extremely anal you might find few tiny "problems" with the game. However, in the grand sceme of things this game is simply the most amazing RPG that that has ever come out on any console. So, take of your critic hat and enjoy the game!
  99. AnonymousMC
    Mar 25, 2006
    I'm not sure how i even was able to get away from my 360 long enough to give this a 10 on metacritic. Maybe because it deserves it? Seriously. This game is literally like having a whole 'nother life. Except in this one you can set rich snobby dudes on fire. Yummy. A MUST BUY. you never get bored in this game. you don't even have to follow the regular story at all to get aI'm not sure how i even was able to get away from my 360 long enough to give this a 10 on metacritic. Maybe because it deserves it? Seriously. This game is literally like having a whole 'nother life. Except in this one you can set rich snobby dudes on fire. Yummy. A MUST BUY. you never get bored in this game. you don't even have to follow the regular story at all to get a good 30-40 hours out of it. Expand
  100. MikeW.
    Mar 26, 2006
    This has Game of the Year written all over it. Open ended storytelling, compelling quests, character development, all exceed expectations here. This is really not a game, it is a true immersive experience, someone may balk at $60 for a game, but you will thank yourself for getting it, I spent over 8 hours just messing around in the capitol city before even setting foot into the This has Game of the Year written all over it. Open ended storytelling, compelling quests, character development, all exceed expectations here. This is really not a game, it is a true immersive experience, someone may balk at $60 for a game, but you will thank yourself for getting it, I spent over 8 hours just messing around in the capitol city before even setting foot into the countryside. This game is not for the faint hearted or ADHD impaired. Do yourself a favor and buy this one. Expand

1. A refreshing, immersive, massive, satisfying and hugely impressive game.
  2. Oblivion not only raises the bar in the visual and audio modules but also in the gameplay and presentation department, making it easily one of the most recommendable titles to anyone who has ever enjoyed the thought of truly doing whatever they want in a video game, in a world where actions actually mean something.
  3. Oblivion is so deep it is hard to escape its grasp. Few things keep it down, such as loading times, and a few problems with visuals and sound, but the gameplay, the most important piece is dead-on.