The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Xbox 360

8.7

1. po0<livegamertag
    Apr 7, 2006
    Not without its minor flaws but as said before by others the flaws dont impact the gameplay at all. Its totally addictive and i havent been able to not play it for a single day since release day. The game leaves you with a sense of achievement and to most gamers thats important (whats the point in investing your time if you get nothing back) and i have to say becoming guild master of theNot without its minor flaws but as said before by others the flaws dont impact the gameplay at all. Its totally addictive and i havent been able to not play it for a single day since release day. The game leaves you with a sense of achievement and to most gamers thats important (whats the point in investing your time if you get nothing back) and i have to say becoming guild master of the dark brotherhood has been the most rewarding moment so far, but even the minor quests leave you patting your own back. If you werent a Morrowind fan dont be put off (i couldnt get into Morrowind either) its easy to get into the hardest part is putting it down. Even if you get it for the pure fact it will last you more than the standard 5 - 8 hours that most games last its worth it. My one gripe is the lack of things to spend money on other than a house (i have 3 already) there is nothing worth purchasing as much better items can be found on quests or exploring?? Expand
  2. AB
    Mar 2, 2008
    Greatest single player game of al time. A few small glitches, but nothing major
  3. PatrikM
    Sep 1, 2008
    1. Character models and animations are uninspired and stale. 2. I killed an innocent bystander, then teleported to a different city. The police there instantly recognised me. This happened at night, to boot. I didn't know they had telephones and night vision goggles in the middle ages. 3. The game felt repetitive and.. well, boring. I didn't feel compelled to continute playing.
  4. CarlJ.
    Mar 22, 2006
    Wow! Nougaty and smooth visuals, powerful greaves and gauntlets, horses you can ride! Do yourself a favor and detach yourselves from the the things to which you are attached. Enormous rats and goblins! Lovely.
  5. MrMoby
    Mar 20, 2006
    For £50 this version is so inferior to the £25 version found on the PC. just not worth spending £50 on but for those of you who do have a PC its a good game and the graphics are far superior to that next generation super computer called the XBOX 360
  6. KevinS.
    Mar 24, 2006
    Tired of cookie-cutter FedEx quests? Tired of braindead, linear roleplaying? Pick up this game for either the PC or the Xbox 360 (I've played both) and you will not be disappointed. Forget the graphics elitists - no other game has a draw distance this far and a free-roaming world this big (16 sq. miles). If you only play games for the graphics, go pick up Far Cry or Half-Life 2. But Tired of cookie-cutter FedEx quests? Tired of braindead, linear roleplaying? Pick up this game for either the PC or the Xbox 360 (I've played both) and you will not be disappointed. Forget the graphics elitists - no other game has a draw distance this far and a free-roaming world this big (16 sq. miles). If you only play games for the graphics, go pick up Far Cry or Half-Life 2. But if you want a virtual sandbox that allows you to do everything you can imagine and more - a world that allows you to create your own storyline - a world rich with lore, personality, and a sense of epic adventure...Oblivion is the game for you. I had my doubts upon first playing. I'd seen the E3 videos and noticed how some aspects had been trimmed in order to make the game playable on today's machines. One long 10-hour play session later and none of that matters. My Assassin is gaining reknown in Cyrodill as a dangerous thief. Woe to he who dares cross my path! Expand
  7. JonS.
    Mar 30, 2006
    Dont get me wrong, I love this game, but it really should have been released as the last great game on the Xbox rather than a full 360 release. It just doesnt give me that next gen feeling! In itself though, its still a great game just on the wrong console.
  8. DarinB.
    Mar 30, 2006
    If you like RPGs, stop reading now! Go get Oblivion. Fantastic visuals, engrossing gameplay, open-ended play all adds up to some addictive gaming that makes you wonder where all of your time went.
  9. Decompiler
    Apr 10, 2006
    I've sunk over 5 hours into this thing since it came out less than two weeks ago, but i've barely scratched the surface. massive seems like an understatement...
  10. DavidF
    Apr 13, 2006
    Finally a game that is worth buying on the 360.
  11. CiaranG.
    Apr 29, 2006
    I've never liked RPG games (because they all involve magic spells, witchcraft, dragons and awful cr*p like that) but Oblivion is one RPG I like! Oblivion is outstanding! The graphics are fantastic. On my first time playing it, I played it for 3 hours. After creating a character and watching the intro screens the game started. Basically, you start off in a prison cell where you have I've never liked RPG games (because they all involve magic spells, witchcraft, dragons and awful cr*p like that) but Oblivion is one RPG I like! Oblivion is outstanding! The graphics are fantastic. On my first time playing it, I played it for 3 hours. After creating a character and watching the intro screens the game started. Basically, you start off in a prison cell where you have to escape. This is part of the tutorial (although you wouldn't know it). The game is easy enough to navigate, the controls are easy enough but there is a lot of inventory screens etc. My character made his way through the sewers and then I managed to get out. It was night. You can see the stars in the sky, the moon and then all around you can see for miles. The best bit is that you can go to any of the places you see. The world is beautiful. There are load times but they don't really afftect gameplay. There also seems to be an unlimited amount of things to do. I had the choice to do whatever I wanted. You can buy things like horses and houses, you can walk into homes and steal people's possessions, grab some food or take a kip in their beds when they're not there. I can't imagine how long was spent making the game. You can just walk around in the countryside, over the hills and streams and meet other people. Animals spend their time all around the place. Also, random things happen like for example whilst exploring a fort in the middle of a forest, a highwayman runs in and asks for my money. I agreed to his demand but he decided he wanted to kill me anyway.. then you can either make a quick escape or stop and fight. The animals and NPC's all have ragdoll physics when they die. The combat system is good. etc. Expand
  12. MichaelF.
    Apr 30, 2006
    its like a updated version of runescape.
  13. GeoffreyMaxwell
    Apr 3, 2006
    A Flawed Masterpiece. Hence 9 and not 10. The way in which this game manages to combine sheer brilliance with down right glitchyness reminds me of Knights of the Old Republic. But like KOTOR its just so good that it can be easily forgiven. To be more specific- sometimes the game pause for a few seconds to load, if this happens when you're being attacked by a wolf, it can get a bit A Flawed Masterpiece. Hence 9 and not 10. The way in which this game manages to combine sheer brilliance with down right glitchyness reminds me of Knights of the Old Republic. But like KOTOR its just so good that it can be easily forgiven. To be more specific- sometimes the game pause for a few seconds to load, if this happens when you're being attacked by a wolf, it can get a bit gittery, the sound can go for a few seconds. Sometimes it takes a while for my character to get off his horse when I tell him too but none of these things are too serious. Plus It has crashed twice with me in my 30 hours play so far. However this was not a problem because the game regularly autosaves so I lost very little. If you do buy it, I recommend saving regularly in a seperate file though. Anyway! enough about the negatives, this game is simply the most ambitious adventure game ever with a vast world, number of items, and levelling up system. Above all other things though this game is simply beautiful. The amount of time I have spent just enjoying the scenery. I can almost smell the flowers and feel the breeze blowing from my new HD TV. A must buy for any aventure gamer or rpg fan. Expand
  14. MerrillL.
    Apr 4, 2006
    First off, this is only the 2nd RPG I've ever played besides Jade Empire. With that said, this is one of the most fun and immersive games I've ever played! I've only been able to play about 4 hours so far but am definitely looking forward to many more. For non-RPGers, I would suggest renting this with an option to buy (like Gamefly) because this is a game that is definitely First off, this is only the 2nd RPG I've ever played besides Jade Empire. With that said, this is one of the most fun and immersive games I've ever played! I've only been able to play about 4 hours so far but am definitely looking forward to many more. For non-RPGers, I would suggest renting this with an option to buy (like Gamefly) because this is a game that is definitely worth the $60 and worth investing time in! Expand
  15. FrankM.
    May 5, 2006
    This game is absolutely atrocious, i can't believe the way people r raving about it. it has nice graphix but ist incredible boring to travel around in the games world bashing wolfs and crabs, the combat system is a disaster to say the least.
  16. SeanR.
    May 7, 2006
    The game is a blast to play, and the few problems it has, such as an inconsistent frame rate and frequent loading are overcome by the beauty of this game and how much work was put in to it. The best game on the 360, and the most enjoyable game in years.
  17. TonyL.
    May 9, 2006
    The best game of all times (besides oblivion) i love this game i have a sorcerer with all stats at 100 lvl 82 and i have beaten the game. i will always continue to play this game long after it is outrated.
  18. LouiseD.
    Jun 22, 2006
    This is the best RPG I've ever played- it gives you almost complete freedom and entertains for well over 100 hours. The graphics are fantastic and although the plot isn't as strong as some other RPGs, the gameplay more than makes up for it.
  19. AbramT.
    Dec 7, 2007
    This "game" is an atrocity by each and every measure, and I am shocked, shocked, shocked to my poor little soul that everyone else isn't saying likewise! Are people really * that* susceptible to hype hypnosis?! Gameplay? Abysmal! The leveling system is utterly broken, and that's a baaad thing for an RPG! Bethesda decided to make it a scaling system, which was a horrible idea in This "game" is an atrocity by each and every measure, and I am shocked, shocked, shocked to my poor little soul that everyone else isn't saying likewise! Are people really * that* susceptible to hype hypnosis?! Gameplay? Abysmal! The leveling system is utterly broken, and that's a baaad thing for an RPG! Bethesda decided to make it a scaling system, which was a horrible idea in the first place, but they made it way worse than it had to be with their sub-sub-sub-amateur implementation! End result: stupid game gets harder and harder as you get more powerful. Elaboration for your elucidation: get beefy enough, and you'll be having mortal duels with mud crabs; stay level 1, and you'll beat the game as a steroid-enraged Conan would the proverbial red-headed stepchild. AI? Hair-tearingly heinous! Can't count the times it almost *disemboweled* my psyche with its mind-blasting +2 stupidity! Enemies chase you forever, friends can't fight with either the intelligence *or* efficacy of a rabies *and* syphilis-maddened toddler (yes, I know that makes me a bad man!), vampires don't care about sunlight though it totally burns their stupid asses, and a guard attacked me when I was assaulted by a witch before I had even done anything! No, I won't even mention the patch-work conversations between townspeople! I shan't go on, for the sake of my sanity, I shan't, I shan't! Bugs, bugs, the hellish bugs! Hung up many times when I backed up while shooting arrows, corpses never disappear (nobody ever notices them, either!), items left in the cabinets of a dead man's house magically turn into vegetables, every other side quest has a bug that makes you unable to finish it if you happen to run into it (and believe me, these bugs are loud proud and in your FACE, so you actually have to make an effort to avoid them!) and there are even reports of mega-bugs that, if encountered, explode your hopes of finishing the main quest into tiny, flaming pieces that smell like charred farts. Graphics? Fugly! Major building and tree pop-up! People all look related, even non-humans; humanoid characters have puddy-ish, discolored, Robot Chicken-esque necks! Way to go with character design, boys and girls! Uninspired city and town design! Story? Overly-simple and completely lacking in atmosphere. These can't be the same writers from Morrowind! You can just tell that they never, ever read! Altogether, an eye-melting Hell-fart of a game! Discerning and intelligent people should keep away, if they value their sanity! Do not, I repeat, do not listen to the legions of brainwiped, hype-notized fanboys who laud this thing like it was Jesus himself, back on earth and granting ten wishes to anybody who lays down 60 bucks! Disgustingly bad craftsmanship, Bethesda! You should be mortally ashamed, as should anyone who praises this thing! I consign this asbestos bag of captured demon flatus to. . . OBLIVION! Expand
  20. KaieL.
    Feb 3, 2007
    Oblivion 4 has to be the easiest game ever when it comes to user-friendliness. My boyfriend had bought the game before ever moved in, and in that time, lost the manual as well. I am not a big fan of computer games, but even I can play oblivion 4 without the instruction manual.
  21. B.S.
    May 30, 2007
    Okay - the game is a little slow at times, the leveling system is worse than broken (just go read the various leveling guides out there to find some of the pitfalls), and there's a lot to do. The game has its shortfalls. However, it STILL marks the best reasonably current American RPG on the market, and that's worth something. You don't have to be an RPG fan - I have a Okay - the game is a little slow at times, the leveling system is worse than broken (just go read the various leveling guides out there to find some of the pitfalls), and there's a lot to do. The game has its shortfalls. However, it STILL marks the best reasonably current American RPG on the market, and that's worth something. You don't have to be an RPG fan - I have a friend who plays mostly shooters and this is the only RPG he likes - but you do have to have some degree of patience, which is what might be throwing some people. If you can take a game that doesn't rush you from point to point (a la Resident Evil or Gears of War, which are also excellent games), this is a must-have. Expand
  22. H3J4
    May 6, 2007
    The thing about this game is, you have to be totally into RPG type games and you need to be happy with the face value the game has. I like to play a game thoroughly. I enjoy beating what the game has to offer and exploring every bit of land on here. BUT. The land is often very bland meters outside of the character. Repeating many people, I know I will be. But how many times will it take The thing about this game is, you have to be totally into RPG type games and you need to be happy with the face value the game has. I like to play a game thoroughly. I enjoy beating what the game has to offer and exploring every bit of land on here. BUT. The land is often very bland meters outside of the character. Repeating many people, I know I will be. But how many times will it take to get Bethesda to look at these things for the next game they put out? I got may character to a level thirty-one and the game craps out about two minutes after I load the game. I tried buying a new disc because maybe I played it out. WRONG. I can't even finishe looking for all the icons on the map or finishing random freeform quests before it stops reading the disc. The graphics are certainly better than most games, but I've seen quite a few glitches and jumpy loading areas. If you can fix this, I'd like to see it on XBL as a patch for the glitches that you seemed to have not seen other than the first patch that automatically gets put on your game when purchasing expansions on the game. Another conflict is, when purchasing all the packs, vile layer conflicts with knights of the Nine for me and people I know have also found that to be a problem. I ended up having to delete one of them before the other would work. It was quite a shame and a waste of money for something I can't even use. And with the leveled thing, ya know, how other characters level with you and the armor and such... How does a penniless bandit who steals to live come across glass, elven, daedric and mithril armor. Don't let me forget the random orcish pieces. Have they gone into Oblivion before me? Highly unlikely unless they were to run in have someone chase them out kill them (also highly unlikely) and steal their armor? Think it over guys. Keep going Bethesda, the gameplay only gets better as more games come out! And I'm sure I'd like to see more of these games. Just.. Don't get lazy on the details. It's a hard job but come on. You get payed for it. I've only covered some of the problems, but, I'd still buy the next game to come out. Expand
  23. BobE.
    Aug 3, 2007
    awsome, is about the only word that sums up this game it is massive. i know other people who have been playing for 6 months and still havent completed it yet.
  24. ChrisG.
    Mar 20, 2008
    This game, I think, is the best 360 game ever made for the console. This game has everything you want for an RPG.
  25. AlexB.
    May 5, 2008
    This is a very very very very bad game. The world isn't "living" it's just there... the game could have been better, but the not breathing world ruins it all... no working people, no hunting monsters and no real... twist.
  26. AbdulM.
    Aug 20, 2008
    This game is awesome. Everything you'd want from an rpg. Brilliant.
  27. AndrewBedgood
    Jan 10, 2009
    Oblivion is the kind of game where you can lose many hours and your social life, but you won't care when doing so. There are so many things to do and places to explore that even nearly 3 years after it's release you won't be at a loss of new discoveries.
  28. Amaru
    Jan 2, 2009
    One of those game's you not only never forget, but one you can actually come back to over and over. collectivly, over 4 play through's, I've spent about 350 hours on this game and I still find new things. How many games can you say that about? Missions come out of nowhere that always take you by suprise, there's a hundred things to do in a hundred different ways, and One of those game's you not only never forget, but one you can actually come back to over and over. collectivly, over 4 play through's, I've spent about 350 hours on this game and I still find new things. How many games can you say that about? Missions come out of nowhere that always take you by suprise, there's a hundred things to do in a hundred different ways, and to top it off it has incredible music too. Bad points? Glitchy graphic at times, invisible walls, about 5 voice actors for about 500 characters...and...well, that's all I can think of. If you like adventure games, and you like games that have real substance and depth, then this is the game for you. Expand
  29. TiaV
    Jan 7, 2010
    Every character seems to have a similar voicesimilar face. I've seen peasants that only distinguish themselves from the king by wearing crappy clothes. Face and voice variation is VERY limited. Gameplay is dull and repetitive. To top it all off, most of the characters are HIDEOUSLY UGLY. I mean, seriously, I know that the aim of the developers wasn't to be realistic, but did Every character seems to have a similar voicesimilar face. I've seen peasants that only distinguish themselves from the king by wearing crappy clothes. Face and voice variation is VERY limited. Gameplay is dull and repetitive. To top it all off, most of the characters are HIDEOUSLY UGLY. I mean, seriously, I know that the aim of the developers wasn't to be realistic, but did they really have to make everything so damn horrendous?! Some quests are somewhat unique and interesting, but that doesn't compensate for the lack of variation and the faces that make you appreciate realism more than fantasy. Expand
  30. DeanS.
    Mar 21, 2006
    Absolutely fabulous game. Stunning graphics, addictive gameplay, much improved combat system over Morrowind. Although Gamerfeed gave it only a 90, they were right when they said that this game alone is worth the purchase price of the Xbox 360.
  31. TedB.
    Mar 21, 2006
    beautiful just beautiful a must have and proof that RPG's on 360 are going to be a most wonderful thing this time around. pure eye candy.
  32. ScottE.
    Mar 22, 2006
    Your $60 will go far! Easily the best RPG so far this year. Beautiful graphics, massive world to explore and awesome gameplay make this a must own title for the 360.
  33. PlixikWhommings
    Mar 22, 2006
    This is the best game ive played in a long time. its addicting as hell and worth a lot more than your $60
  34. LyleB.
    Mar 22, 2006
    Incredible. 12 hours into the game and I can't put it down. Morrowind was fun and this improves and expands on that game by leaps and bounds. THE GOOD: visuals and technical "wow" factor (for the sake of immersion) - storyline that makes you care - combat - scope/size (never feel lost though) - moral choices - adventure elements - horses - great voice acting - it's fun (a lot of Incredible. 12 hours into the game and I can't put it down. Morrowind was fun and this improves and expands on that game by leaps and bounds. THE GOOD: visuals and technical "wow" factor (for the sake of immersion) - storyline that makes you care - combat - scope/size (never feel lost though) - moral choices - adventure elements - horses - great voice acting - it's fun (a lot of games forget about this) THE BAD: Some framerate hiccups (usually on horseback in the wilderness) and jumping off the horse to fight is awkward. THE VERDICT: it's heading up my best game ever list. Expand
  35. JackH.
    Mar 23, 2006
    Just WOW! Buy this game today!
  36. Catraven
    Mar 23, 2006
    Sheer beauty- I was awestruck! This game was definitely worth the wait. I would recommend this beauty to anyone who is an RPG fan! The music is incredible, the graphics are exquisite and the interface is a vast improvement over Morrowind.
  37. DonS.
    Mar 23, 2006
    What a disappointment - The so called "Radiant AI' does not exist. NPCs talk the same rumors over and over again, get stuck at each other and - The graphics are awesome... in a radius of 10 meters around the character. Texture lodding creates huge, ugly blobs on the ground in the distance. - Loading hitches every few meters. - Grass growing only in a 15 ft radius around the What a disappointment - The so called "Radiant AI' does not exist. NPCs talk the same rumors over and over again, get stuck at each other and - The graphics are awesome... in a radius of 10 meters around the character. Texture lodding creates huge, ugly blobs on the ground in the distance. - Loading hitches every few meters. - Grass growing only in a 15 ft radius around the character! - Cities are empty. No more than 5 NPCs in most places, half of which are guards and have the same voice and text - The translation (german version) is horrendous. The worst I have ever experienced in a game. A scroll of healing is listed as "Schr. d. schw. H." on the GUI. WTF?. The game also tells you outright wrong numbers when you try to buy a house - The game is totally unbalanced. My level 1 character can kill everyone by just getting them follow him and constantly casting spells. - The UI sucks. - Load times are horrendous. - The horses in the game are weak and die easily. That is very convenient, since Bethesda just announced that you will be able to buy horse armor from the XBL marketplace... great idea ... NOT! All in all this is a major disappointment. The game feels half finished and I can not recommend it to anyone. Maybe waiting for the platinum edition or maybe a patch through XBL. Expand
  38. TimZ.
    Mar 23, 2006
    I am getting bored after 2 hors of playing. It is nothing that has not been overplayed on the PC and it plays kinda clunky. No challenge and no strategy needed.
  39. PCMAN
    Mar 23, 2006
    To Exspencive fo what it is. i mean you can either spend £50 on xbox 360 sub standard version or you can spend £20 on the vastly supirior version . still cant belive people are prepared to spend that sort of money when its available cheaper and better on another format
  40. JohnnyA.
    Mar 24, 2006
    If I could rate higher I would. I was very new to this series and optimistic to all the hype about this game. But oh my gosh this game is insane!!! I played it for 6 hours straight and it felt like 10 minutes passed. I will not lie it starts off slow like one person said but after you hit the wilderness, look out. This game went beyond all my expectations. I am floored by how deep and how If I could rate higher I would. I was very new to this series and optimistic to all the hype about this game. But oh my gosh this game is insane!!! I played it for 6 hours straight and it felt like 10 minutes passed. I will not lie it starts off slow like one person said but after you hit the wilderness, look out. This game went beyond all my expectations. I am floored by how deep and how much this game has to offer. This game is a must have and if you dont have it, Buy it! This game is almost overwhelming in a good way with all the possiblilities. I kind of trailed off and started deer hunting for a while but made my way back to the trail. This game is Freakin amazing. I was never in to RPG but after this I cant put it down. What a sweet game!! Expand
  41. MikeB.
    Mar 25, 2006
    A very well rounded game, with an extremely open ended quest system as well as numerous locations for said quests. Somewhat limited selection of items.
  42. Aaron
    Mar 25, 2006
    Don't Rent this game, You will have hundreds of dollars of overdue fines
  43. AlexL.
    Mar 25, 2006
    Nothing at all like it was hyped up to be. Graphics are decent, but not even close to the promo shots - scenery loads VERY frequently giving walking anywhere a very jumpy feel, and pop-up style terrain hides everything but your immediate vicinity. Hand-to-hand combat is lackluster and clunky, spells are not very visually interesting, my character (which remains level 1 no matter what I do Nothing at all like it was hyped up to be. Graphics are decent, but not even close to the promo shots - scenery loads VERY frequently giving walking anywhere a very jumpy feel, and pop-up style terrain hides everything but your immediate vicinity. Hand-to-hand combat is lackluster and clunky, spells are not very visually interesting, my character (which remains level 1 no matter what I do to raise my stats) has never failed to kill anything I've run across with minimal, if any, difficulty. Very little sense of achievement for doing anything, menu interface is clunky. My female character has a male voice, and I've heard other players with male characters have female voices. Overall not very challenging with a rather nondescript storyline, fails to be gripping on pretty much any level. Certainly not worth $60. Expand
  44. MiguelG.
    Mar 25, 2006
    This can't be described in words. Developer should win a Nobel.
  45. JianyM.
    Best ever, IGN this deserves more than 9.3
  46. GabeC.
    Mar 27, 2006
    If you didn't like Morrowind... don't buy this game. This game is an Action/HackNSlash game on top of an Explore Everything game. The experience that you get from this is what you make for yourself. There is no single game that has what this game has. It is truly a Next Gen game. People will complain about single aspects of this game being better somewhere else... But to do what If you didn't like Morrowind... don't buy this game. This game is an Action/HackNSlash game on top of an Explore Everything game. The experience that you get from this is what you make for yourself. There is no single game that has what this game has. It is truly a Next Gen game. People will complain about single aspects of this game being better somewhere else... But to do what they've done in a single game is amazing. Whoever complains about this game should tell everybody the game that exists that does all that Oblivion does (Yes, I'm pointing at you FPS Master)... Bravo Bethesda! Brilliant! Expand
  47. KidSix
    Mar 27, 2006
    Ignore the haters. If you like RPG's and actually want to take the time to put some thought and effort into the games you play, Oblivion is a great game. Haters just don't like it because they only focus on the negatives. Granted, there are a few, but not enough to take away from the overall game experience. I only gave it a nine because I don't think there has ever been a Ignore the haters. If you like RPG's and actually want to take the time to put some thought and effort into the games you play, Oblivion is a great game. Haters just don't like it because they only focus on the negatives. Granted, there are a few, but not enough to take away from the overall game experience. I only gave it a nine because I don't think there has ever been a perfect game and I can't give it a 9.7. Expand
  48. JordanM.
    Mar 27, 2006
    Amazing. Truly an RPG masterpiece. This game offers such an amazing escape from the reoccuring quests in other rpgs. Amazing storytelling, and voiceovers give every character in the game such a great depth. Hours and hours will be spent on this game in years to come. You can either play it the linear way (which i dont know how it is possible) and go from mission to mission and ignore the Amazing. Truly an RPG masterpiece. This game offers such an amazing escape from the reoccuring quests in other rpgs. Amazing storytelling, and voiceovers give every character in the game such a great depth. Hours and hours will be spent on this game in years to come. You can either play it the linear way (which i dont know how it is possible) and go from mission to mission and ignore the HUMONGOUS expansive environment that is just waiting for you, which will take you around 20+ hours. Or, you can explore everything and see what just how much content there is that never gets boring that offers over 200+ hours of gameplay. And dont worry, you can always use instant travel, which enables you to get everywhere quickly with no boring travels. Or if youd like, you can travel it on foot or by horse or whatever :D. Greatness, and so many ways to play it in so many different ways depending on your character type. Ill be enjoying this for years to come! Expand
  49. GeoffH.
    Mar 28, 2006
    I can only assume those with popup are playing on a 360 - On a good PC with the draw distance turned up, you can see for chuffing MILES. Those moaning about load times Are you playing on a 360 ? ON a good PC they are virtually non existant. Conclusion. Oblivion = fantastic XBOX360 = Already supersceded by top of the range PC (and games cost 40% for a "worse" experience and no free add ons I can only assume those with popup are playing on a 360 - On a good PC with the draw distance turned up, you can see for chuffing MILES. Those moaning about load times Are you playing on a 360 ? ON a good PC they are virtually non existant. Conclusion. Oblivion = fantastic XBOX360 = Already supersceded by top of the range PC (and games cost 40% for a "worse" experience and no free add ons from the community). Expand
  50. LaurensM.
    Apr 18, 2006
    This is like it's previous another splendid work from Bethesda. Unbelievable how they improve theirselves once again. You can't give it lower than a 9, yes, it has a few bugs, but they are no so disturbing you can't play any further. My eyes hurt from playing this game. No words can explain this.
  51. monkey.butter
    Apr 18, 2006
    FANTASTIC! This game is the best I have ever played! Sure, there are annoyances like the hurendous load times that seem to pop up everywhere but these can be soothed (not totaly fixed though) by emptying the 360's cache (hold "a" when starting machine). Another problem that is easily be fixed is the SOUTHPAW controls. Just edit the controler settings in the xbox dashboard-it'sFANTASTIC! This game is the best I have ever played! Sure, there are annoyances like the hurendous load times that seem to pop up everywhere but these can be soothed (not totaly fixed though) by emptying the 360's cache (hold "a" when starting machine). Another problem that is easily be fixed is the SOUTHPAW controls. Just edit the controler settings in the xbox dashboard-it's that easy! The last fix I can offer is the sound glitch. Sound seems to cut out every few seconds on cut scenes. Again, change the settings on the xbox itself will fix this. Change the hz from standard 50 to 60 and all will become clear!
    Now I'm not a huge RPG fan but this game changed all that! I'm completely addicted to it and can't stop playing!
    BONUS: a superb gaming experience that any gamer (RPG buff or not) cannot afford to miss
    DOWNSIDES: The continueous lagging that sometimes happens will the 360 tries to load all the immense data. Thankfully (as stated earlier) this can be helped.
  52. PaulM.
    Apr 3, 2006
    I'm into games, but I'm skittish - I'll play for an hour then move on. But once in a while a game like this happens, and you just want to sue the creators for ruining your life. It's not just the time you'll spend on it - it's the fact that it makes the real world seem utterly dull by comparison.
  53. KeithD.
    Apr 4, 2006
    Just a top quaility game!
  54. ElectricMonk
    May 10, 2006
    An absolute masterpiece! If there was ever a question regarding whether or not video games have a place in the world of art (i.e. motion pictures, music albums, books, paintings, etc.), "Oblivion" should--in every possible way--dismiss the negativists and clear the field of cynics and critics. This is not only art, it is fine art, as well as one heck of an RPG, one whose character An absolute masterpiece! If there was ever a question regarding whether or not video games have a place in the world of art (i.e. motion pictures, music albums, books, paintings, etc.), "Oblivion" should--in every possible way--dismiss the negativists and clear the field of cynics and critics. This is not only art, it is fine art, as well as one heck of an RPG, one whose character development alone will immerse your mind in creative juices for hours and hours. Expand
  55. UwePoll
    May 2, 2006
    A flawed game that can't live up to its own ambitions. Simply put, when you try to make a believable game world like this, the inconsistencies tend to stick out and become very obvious. Still very compelling, but certainly not the masterpiece it's made out to be.
  56. BrandonE.
    May 6, 2006
    The best game I've ever played. Starts out slow, but then really picks up. Massive game and the more you play, the less load time it takes. It seems you could get a side quest from almost any person you talk to. The graphics just blew me away. I've been playing about triple the amount of hours on this game than I did before I had it.
  57. CorbinC.
    May 6, 2006
    This game, is litterally, THE BEST i have EVER seen in graphics and storyline.
  58. DavidS.
    May 8, 2006
    This is an awesome game... putting loadtimes aside... the fact that the game wont end thanks to expansions over the xbox marketplace is the best idea... at first its a lil confusing but youll get the hang of it.
  59. KyleM.
    Jun 4, 2006
    graphics;amazing, storyline;amazing, everything; amzaing. enough said!
  60. CoryD.
    Dec 27, 2007
    It's as fast or as mellow as you want it to be.. Watch the sun set over the water while listening to the birds chirping, or delve into a nasty cave to beat-down some nasties and get some loot in the process... The sheer scale of the world, and the hours that could be spent playing this one is amazing.
  61. ColinP.
    Feb 1, 2007
    This game built on all the things that Elder Scrolls 3 lacks. Graphics, Gameplay, they simplified traveling, added a compass with a director pointing you toward your next stop in your quest. Overall an EXCELLENT game! I recommend it to anyone and everyone, rookies and vets to RPGs alike!
  62. DanielP.
    Apr 15, 2007
    This game is great. It has a good and unique leveling system, tons of stuff to do, and hundreds of hours of main quest and side quest.
  63. Kirana
    Apr 29, 2007
    it's a fantastic game! i could literally make any character - the face adjustment software is great. and it allows you to customise your class, and so do anything you want! i'll definitely still have this game for a long, long time. replayability is magnificent, and definitely incredible value for money. excellent for RPG gamers, maybe not so much for gamers that prefer a it's a fantastic game! i could literally make any character - the face adjustment software is great. and it allows you to customise your class, and so do anything you want! i'll definitely still have this game for a long, long time. replayability is magnificent, and definitely incredible value for money. excellent for RPG gamers, maybe not so much for gamers that prefer a linear, to-the-point structure, but hey, they already have so many other games! Expand
  64. DarrenForster
    Jun 22, 2007
    An excellent game, the game is so huge, unlike some games there is no going over and over the same thing to try and get further on in the game. It keeps going with new challenges all the time and constantly finding new places to explore, you just can't wait to find out what task you'll be given next or what new suprise you'll find out next.
  65. Matt
    Aug 4, 2007
    Oblivion isn
  66. ChrisC.
    Aug 9, 2007
    The good: It's obviously so expansive, and they obviously put a lot of hard work into making it a really diverse experience. The bad: If you're not used to playing western-style RPGs it's a lot less accessible. The game just sort of throws you in the world, assuming you are used to the way these sorts of games play. The good but other people have called bad: The way it The good: It's obviously so expansive, and they obviously put a lot of hard work into making it a really diverse experience. The bad: If you're not used to playing western-style RPGs it's a lot less accessible. The game just sort of throws you in the world, assuming you are used to the way these sorts of games play. The good but other people have called bad: The way it penalizes you for powerleveling. Powerleveling is lame. It's boring and it rewards you for just wasting a lot of time doing easy stuff over and over instead of successfully doing anything hard. Games *ought* to penalize you for just walking around doing rote tasks over and over. It's about time. Expand
  67. JoeM.
    Sep 24, 2007
    A good game, what stops it from getting a ten is its occasional performance issues, which I dont understand, given the power of the 360.
  68. I.L.
    Sep 4, 2007
    One of thte true masterpiecs of the last 5 years. Considering the size of the game, the few problems are instantly forgivable.
  69. JoE
    Mar 13, 2008
    OMG! This game has consumed up easy 500 hours of my life ( I kid you not, I've counted ) So much to do and you can almost always find a quest to do. yes a game with this much in it is bound to have its glitches. I found one the other day where you can walk on air! but still the small flaws in the game match nothing up to its... Everything... OMG!
  70. ChristianC.
    Sep 8, 2008
    This game is the best RPG I've played in my life. Oblivion has incredible graphics, sounds and music. Absorving stories and almost an infinite world. You play the way you want, the game follows your pace and it's never linear. I've got 300 hours playing this game and still have things to do! (and still enjoying it). If you don't like this game... that's because This game is the best RPG I've played in my life. Oblivion has incredible graphics, sounds and music. Absorving stories and almost an infinite world. You play the way you want, the game follows your pace and it's never linear. I've got 300 hours playing this game and still have things to do! (and still enjoying it). If you don't like this game... that's because you don't like RPGs, period. Expand
  71. maxs
    Oct 11, 2009
    I love how Abram T. just kept on rambling about how the game sucks and how it is so horrible when in actuallity it ism one of the best games on the 360.. Wow, it is just so funny, wait here i will try. Oblivion the worst game ive ever played. It is horrible that I kept throwing up whenever i ran into a person when it poped up in the game and had to go to the emergency room because an I love how Abram T. just kept on rambling about how the game sucks and how it is so horrible when in actuallity it ism one of the best games on the 360.. Wow, it is just so funny, wait here i will try. Oblivion the worst game ive ever played. It is horrible that I kept throwing up whenever i ran into a person when it poped up in the game and had to go to the emergency room because an enemy kept chasing me to hell. I broke five of my controllers when I died, and the level system ended up making me start cutting myself and I went insane, killing my whole family, and now because of oblivion, i am in s mental institution! Expand
  72. ZackR
    Oct 2, 2009
    This is the best game I have ever played! Mainly because there is no way to do everything in the game with one charactor. But the game is also very complex. Unless you just go on the internet and everything before hand. Personally I did everything I could before even looking it up on the internet.
  73. HughM.
    Oct 7, 2009
    This is the best game I have ever played.
  74. MattM
    Mar 30, 2009
    Possibly the single greatest game i have ever played. having played many *Perfect* games before i have always found myself coming back to Oblivion. This game has reset my expectations for all other rpgs. sure there are a few bugs here and there but considering the size on oblivion i am suprised there arent more.A game as important to its genre as wow is to the MMO's or Total war is Possibly the single greatest game i have ever played. having played many *Perfect* games before i have always found myself coming back to Oblivion. This game has reset my expectations for all other rpgs. sure there are a few bugs here and there but considering the size on oblivion i am suprised there arent more.A game as important to its genre as wow is to the MMO's or Total war is to strategy. As close to perfect as i could ever hope: 100/100. Expand
  75. MattC
    Jul 22, 2009
    Great game on it's design and scope. The story and interactivity with NPCs and items in the game are incredible. The character customization is also very well done. The biggest downfall of the game is the repetitve combat, and ridiculously long loading screens. Traveling around in a big city and long distances can take almost a minute in the load screen. I know that doesn't Great game on it's design and scope. The story and interactivity with NPCs and items in the game are incredible. The character customization is also very well done. The biggest downfall of the game is the repetitve combat, and ridiculously long loading screens. Traveling around in a big city and long distances can take almost a minute in the load screen. I know that doesn't sound like much, but after reading this, stare at a clock for 60 seconds and tell me that isn't a long time to wait on a regular basis. But what can you expect from such a huge game. It's definitely a must play. Expand
  76. GuangmianK.
    Nov 12, 2006
    This game is extremely beautiful, with little objects and items and arts in every town and room, and together with the warm glow of the lighting everywhere in the game, really makes it feel like a real world. The gameplay is very interesting and only gets boring after about like... 100++ hours?
  77. AnthonyV.
    Oct 16, 2006
    One of the greatest games ever made - as long as you don't look too deeply into its flaws and just enjoy it at face value. Yeah, there's pop-in and occasional loading hiccups - they're not game breakers. What are game breakers are the various exploits that can be utilized, such as enchanting all of your clothing with a chameleon spell, allowing you to spend the rest of the One of the greatest games ever made - as long as you don't look too deeply into its flaws and just enjoy it at face value. Yeah, there's pop-in and occasional loading hiccups - they're not game breakers. What are game breakers are the various exploits that can be utilized, such as enchanting all of your clothing with a chameleon spell, allowing you to spend the rest of the game invisible to do whatever the heck you want with no repercussions (there goes all the challenge). The leveling system is also horribly flawed and uneven, a problem which can be remedied by a difficulty slider. Other than that, if you're willing to just explore the 300+ hours of material in this game and not focus on the nitpicky negative stuff and occasional (and unavoidable) glitches, this game is a blast. Expand
  78. FredB.
    Oct 16, 2006
    This game is great, the graphics a perfect and the wide open world is amazing, but I can see where a person can get overwhelmed by how open it is. The game is great.
  79. Syc
    Nov 8, 2006
    Gives the illusion of loads to do wonderfully and the gameworld looks great. Get to the meat of any quests though and you'll find they are uninspired, linear and often dull to a degree that would be frowned upon in any other game. boring combat, an uninteresting story and bugs galore round this game out as one of the biggest disappointments of the year.
  80. TimmyB.
    Dec 9, 2006
    This game is really repetative with a uninteresting storyline the most frustrating save system ever, for people who don't save it every two seconds, spells are all the same, linear and limited weapon and armour choice.
  81. NickP
    Mar 21, 2006
    If you played Morrowind you know exactly what to expect. The visuals are incredible and the minor tweaks and improvements over Morrowind are notable although not so much so that Obilivion reinvents itself. It is nice to see that the game is challenging when the difficulty meter is maxed. I just wish something more was done with the combat and magic systems.
  82. Vusta
    Mar 21, 2006
    Very polished and solid game. Bethesda's extra time has been well spent. The open ended gameplay really lets you play the game how you want. Graphics are pretty awe inspiring (character art still isn't to good though) and the draw distance is amazing. CC is fantastic and allows for some varied looking characters. Some minor issues with graphical draw-in and pop-up, and some Very polished and solid game. Bethesda's extra time has been well spent. The open ended gameplay really lets you play the game how you want. Graphics are pretty awe inspiring (character art still isn't to good though) and the draw distance is amazing. CC is fantastic and allows for some varied looking characters. Some minor issues with graphical draw-in and pop-up, and some blurry mip'd textures, but in no way does it take anything away from this incredible experience. Expand
  83. JeffT.
    Mar 21, 2006
    Amazing. Cast a fireball across two pillars and a statue.... blew me away. The new combat system rocks, too.
  84. JMac.
    Not a single flaw.
  85. MarkA.
    Mar 22, 2006
    WOW!!!, i cannot begin to describe this AMAZING game. Few flaws......gameplay- AMAZING!!!
  86. IanH.
    Mar 22, 2006
    Having played all the previous ones in the series, I can definetely says this is one is the best. Incredible draw distance, combat has been hugely improved also. Simply a must buy!
  87. Johhnydepht
    Mar 22, 2006
    Wow an amazing game that has absorped my life for the next twelf centuries!
  88. Rol
    Mar 23, 2006
    Don S. gives it a 2. If Oblivion is 2 out of 10 then everything he says should be ignored. There are compromises with the graphics and AI but it is called a game, remember that Don S. Like morrowind then you'll love this, hate morrowind then in the long run you won't enjoy this. Easily the most ambitious and content filled game on the 360 and this for me gives it a 10. But theDon S. gives it a 2. If Oblivion is 2 out of 10 then everything he says should be ignored. There are compromises with the graphics and AI but it is called a game, remember that Don S. Like morrowind then you'll love this, hate morrowind then in the long run you won't enjoy this. Easily the most ambitious and content filled game on the 360 and this for me gives it a 10. But the good thing is the idiots who whinge about this game are in the minority and you can easily ignore their dumb preconceptions of what a game should be because they clearly don't know. Expand
  89. T.H.
    Mar 23, 2006
    I've only played the game for about three hours, but can't wait to get back to it. The initial character creation was a little cumbersome. Too many ways to shift a cheek bone and not enough with adjusting body types, tatoos/markings, etc. Wasn't overly impressed with the initial dungeon/sewer escape scene either. But since it was designed to be a tutorial, I guess I can I've only played the game for about three hours, but can't wait to get back to it. The initial character creation was a little cumbersome. Too many ways to shift a cheek bone and not enough with adjusting body types, tatoos/markings, etc. Wasn't overly impressed with the initial dungeon/sewer escape scene either. But since it was designed to be a tutorial, I guess I can overlook that. Once I exited the sewer I was smacked right square in the face with an amazing environment to explore. The draw distance detail isn't that great - yada yada yada. But what do you expect for a world that big. The up-close detail is incredible. Elevations are also done quite well. As you climb upward on steep terrain, you do feel a sense of height. One of the truly breath taking views I came across was climbing up to the top of a snowcapped mountain by horseback and overlooking the entire kingdom as the sun was setting. It was truly amazing to watch the sun set behind the mountains and create that pink/purple-ish glow illuminating from behind the mountain range. Even the clouds reflected the colors of the sunset against the black star-filled sky as the final evidence of daylight disappeared for the night. That scene combined with the great soundtrack playing in the background created one of those truly epic moments you've always hoped could be achieved someday in gaming. If you've ever enjoyed playing RPGs, whether hard core or casual, you MUST get this game. Expand
  90. KelR.
    Mar 23, 2006
    I think that if you're going to be extremely anal you might find few tiny "problems" with the game. However, in the grand sceme of things this game is simply the most amazing RPG that that has ever come out on any console. So, take of your critic hat and enjoy the game!
    Mar 23, 2006
    A true next-gen game. The graphics and sound are breathtaking and the game mechanics are better than Morrowind. This game defines what an RPG should be.
  92. SteveT.
    Mar 23, 2006
    I finally got to sit down and play Oblivion last night. I suppose I will parrot everyone else when I say how amazing this game is. I spent about an hour just customizing a damn blue orc. After that I just got pulled into the game. The tutorial mode runs pretty straight forward, but after that the game just explodes. I spent the rest of the night travelling from the sewers to the imperial I finally got to sit down and play Oblivion last night. I suppose I will parrot everyone else when I say how amazing this game is. I spent about an hour just customizing a damn blue orc. After that I just got pulled into the game. The tutorial mode runs pretty straight forward, but after that the game just explodes. I spent the rest of the night travelling from the sewers to the imperial city. I found a cave on the way, killed everything that moved and scored some loot. I figured I would upgrade my gear before I moved on and headed to the city. I spent another couple of hours on a quest I picked up from the merchants who sold me stuff. It was crazy! I can't belive how involved you have to be to play this game. It will take a huge effort for me to stay focused at work and school the next couple of weeks. All I want to do is jam home and play this game. Don't wait, don't rent. Own it and then it will Pwn you Expand
  93. Nick
    Mar 23, 2006
    Best value for the gaming dollar EVER (aside from Baldur's Gate games, anyway)!
  94. WejRepus
    Mar 24, 2006
    The MUST HAVE GAME for the 360. This game is so amazing!
  95. MichaelC.
    Mar 24, 2006
    Best game ever. Amazing visuals and gameplay with great controls. Play this game. Do it now. You need to.
  96. NelsonP.
    Mar 24, 2006
    One of the greatest games I have ever played. Period.
  97. GeraldH.
    Mar 24, 2006
    This is the best rpg ever made. Ive only had it for 3 days and Ive played 10 hours of it and iam not even halfway into the story! This game is detailed and the A.I. IS AMAZING.Gameplay is 100 tmes better than morrowind and the graphics are just eye candy. The sound is awsome especialy the musical score whichsounds like a mix of like the LOTR score and a an action movie score. So far its This is the best rpg ever made. Ive only had it for 3 days and Ive played 10 hours of it and iam not even halfway into the story! This game is detailed and the A.I. IS AMAZING.Gameplay is 100 tmes better than morrowind and the graphics are just eye candy. The sound is awsome especialy the musical score whichsounds like a mix of like the LOTR score and a an action movie score. So far its the best 360 game up to date. Expand
  98. NickDanger
    Mar 24, 2006
    Everything is f....ing awseome. The thing that stands out the most are the quests. There's rarely any fetching quests. Even then they're lively and engaging.
  99. GregP.
    Mar 24, 2006
    This is just one hell of a game.
  100. DrewM.
    Mar 25, 2006
    I don't know why all of these pure masterpieces of games have been getting all of these low scores by the press. I think either they're getting paid, or they just can't accept the fact that the '360 is actually beating everyone else. This is the game to own all others, and it will decimate your social life from day one. A must have for everyone. If you don't have I don't know why all of these pure masterpieces of games have been getting all of these low scores by the press. I think either they're getting paid, or they just can't accept the fact that the '360 is actually beating everyone else. This is the game to own all others, and it will decimate your social life from day one. A must have for everyone. If you don't have an Xbox 360 yet, go get one. Now. Expand

1. A refreshing, immersive, massive, satisfying and hugely impressive game.
  2. Oblivion not only raises the bar in the visual and audio modules but also in the gameplay and presentation department, making it easily one of the most recommendable titles to anyone who has ever enjoyed the thought of truly doing whatever they want in a video game, in a world where actions actually mean something.
  3. Oblivion is so deep it is hard to escape its grasp. Few things keep it down, such as loading times, and a few problems with visuals and sound, but the gameplay, the most important piece is dead-on.