7.6

1. Nov 20, 2014
    On the scale of gave-up-after-a-few-hours to played-through-it-a-few-times, this one scored a played-once-almost-replayed-it-but-decided-to-sell-it-on-instead. It had its great moments, but I couldn't face it again - and unfortunately that's NOT because of how scary it is (or isn't). I found this game quite annoying! Your character is very restricted in capability, the environments tooOn the scale of gave-up-after-a-few-hours to played-through-it-a-few-times, this one scored a played-once-almost-replayed-it-but-decided-to-sell-it-on-instead. It had its great moments, but I couldn't face it again - and unfortunately that's NOT because of how scary it is (or isn't). I found this game quite annoying! Your character is very restricted in capability, the environments too confined (I would have liked some more creepy open spaces, where you weren't immediately forced into fight/escape). Gore too often takes the place of atmosphere - corpses and blood everywhere does not equal spooky. Finally: too many hallucinations! Expand
  2. Oct 17, 2014
    The Evil Within will give survival horror purists a rare contemporary pleasure fix. But be warned: if you prize smooth, silky action above all else, it will drive you insane.
  3. Oct 16, 2014
    Honestly the game isn't that good. It actually blows. Been there done that..Copy of Rockstar's Max Payne/Manhunt to the extreme, a crappy knockoff. The camera angles are terrible and you'd have a whole hell of an easier time controlling your onscreen character with a banana in a bowl of pudding. 5/10 is generous.
  4. Oct 31, 2014
    It's a great game. I don't understand why everyone is hating on it. Yes, maybe is not the best game of Shinji, but the concept is pretty cool. I mean, it is totally a survival game, because you have to use everything in your surroundings in order to survive the many hordes of monsters, not just guns. An the horror, OMG! I swear is one of the games that has given me more creeps and scaresIt's a great game. I don't understand why everyone is hating on it. Yes, maybe is not the best game of Shinji, but the concept is pretty cool. I mean, it is totally a survival game, because you have to use everything in your surroundings in order to survive the many hordes of monsters, not just guns. An the horror, OMG! I swear is one of the games that has given me more creeps and scares than any other, and i gotta say that I don't get scared that easy. The graphics are awesome considering this is the 360 version. And last but no least, the controls. I don't like third person games because some times they're difficult to control. Well, this is not the case. The major problem you could have is the aiming at the beginning, but you will get used to it as you keep playing. All I can say is that you should try it. I think it's an awesome game. Expand
  5. Oct 14, 2014
    its a good time for the AAA survival horror genre. terrifying ambience, really tough gameplay (in the Dark Souls style of natural difficulty, not scripted trial-and-error), and the graphics are also pretty good. horror or not, Shinji Mikami's games are always a blast to play through, and this is no exception
  6. Apr 9, 2015
    The biggest waste of 2014

I do not know what the developers were thinking at stake. Probably nothing.
    - The graphic comes from the PS2.
    - The bars above and below limit the field of view.
    - I miss the survival game. All I see is only slaughter.
    - Hordes of enemies instead of horror.
  7. Oct 17, 2014
    Good plot and environment, but it leaks for the graphical aspect, that is awful, and for the gameplay control aspects, as the camera and sneak elements. In general, the game is a revival of a forgotten atmosphere represented by Resident Evil 1, 2 and 3.
  8. Oct 17, 2014
    Amazing game the graphics is not that bad i really liked the shadows and lightning details the horrific enemies the story is a bit cofusing but it needs more than one walkthrough to get along with it
  9. Oct 17, 2014
    it may not be the best game out their but it the survival/horror return in the hand of it father shinji mikami this game have a great atmosphere and require skills to survive bringing back the old school survival horror style "less resources, Puzzles, etc"this game is a must for survival/horror fans
  10. Dec 29, 2014
    I eagerly waited this game. And to be honest, 80% of it is like I was expecting. Good graphics, various weapons, scary enemies, different places to journ on and realistic plot. However, the worst part of it is the difficulty. It's extremely hard to finish it, even on casual. And the cheesy thing is that your parteners split up with you everytime and they are really aidful, but there areI eagerly waited this game. And to be honest, 80% of it is like I was expecting. Good graphics, various weapons, scary enemies, different places to journ on and realistic plot. However, the worst part of it is the difficulty. It's extremely hard to finish it, even on casual. And the cheesy thing is that your parteners split up with you everytime and they are really aidful, but there are few levels when they contribute to your battles. But all in all, is a good horror, a back to black of a resident evil and I really enjoyed. Expand
  11. Oct 21, 2014
    Horror or survival. Now that is a question that needs to be answered ohhhhhhh wait it is a dumb zombie game that is not hard even playing on the hardest difficulty. First the enemies are not a threat to anyone and then the graphics are horrible, wow I thought this game would make me sh*t my pants but no.........
  12. Dec 24, 2014
    Albeit not the best it could have been, it is still a pretty good game living in the essence of resident evil 4. for those expecting subtlety however, do not play this game; this game is made by Shinji Mikami, expecting subtlety would be like expecting innovation in a NFL game.
  13. Oct 17, 2014
    this game is not flawless and it is not shinji's best work but it is still amazing game i loved the environment design and difficulty of this game you realy should be smart enough and survivalist to survive this game great pick and worth my cash
  14. Apr 12, 2016
    Surprised this game has the Bethesda label on it. The quality of this title is not what one would expect from such an epic company. 'The Evil Within' can be fun but it doesn't impress.Seems like a decent imitation of a Resident Evil game. Why?

There are many problems with this game: - Some parts of the game are literally seizure inducing. The f***. The level with the safe-monsters

There are many problems with this game:

- Some parts of the game are literally seizure inducing. The f***. The level with the safe-monsters was so stupid!

- VERY BUGGY. There were frame rate issues, pop ins, jagged shadows, and worst of all, busted save points. Thrice I encountered points where I could not save my game. All three times it just outright froze my console, and I had to reset my Xbox 360 -- and this was with the update!

- There were times in a fight when the bosses would not appear at all. You'd have to start all over again.

- Poor hit detection. Even if you brushed against certain enemies you'd die and/or be assaulted.

- Nitpicking here, but sometimes when elements cluster together your character did the wrong action. Say for example, you're trying to pick up green gel, instead he will stomp an enemy.

- Even fully upgraded your character feels a bit sluggish.

- Some levels and areas were not well thought out. There was one level where you had these sniper-type enemies to kill. The problem was the designers did not anticipate not having enough ammunition, which could bring the game to a dead stop. Also, this level had issues with my partner. Yet another bug in the game. He got stuck in a wall, and would not help me.

- The story and characters were very weak. A lot of the story didn't make any sense whatsoever, and it really just went nowhere. The characters were very forgettable too. I didn't care about any of them. There were a lot of cliches. This seemed to take some inspiration from Condemned: Criminal Origins, which did it a lot better.

- The combat and controls were lacking. For example, even with camera controls, you can get visually stuck, and lose perspective, making the game difficult to play. You can also easily get stuck in a corner, trapped by enemies, with no way to charge through. I did not appreciate how little defense there was. All you can do in this game to dodge enemies is run, and not for very long. In general maneuvering around was a bit of a chore. It worked, but not flawlessly.

- Sometimes there were areas or parts in the game that looked open to use, but often that wasn't true. This made the gaming experience just a wee extra frustrating. One level I was trying to jump over a raised floor, but instead I got trapped, and crushed by an enemy. Turns out that I could only jump over if I was exactly in the middle, and not anywhere near the side. But it appeared that I was able to do so.

- Redundancy. Since this is a game where you die a lot this means a lot of redundancy. Which is a problem when you've been doing a lot of work in the game, and then you die, and you lose all the things you've collected.. Huge pain in the bum.

- Sometimes you just don't know what to do! You have to trigger events, and then it can't be found. A hint, or tip, or something you can have at your request would go a long way.

- The sneaking and hiding elements were a little under used. I think Bethesda wanted to push for an action game, and hence why you didn't see much of this feature being used. But just a little more sneaking and hiding would've added a greater feeling of suspense.

- The mandatory install was annoying...!

- When you finish the game you can restart with new additional elements (i.e. weapons), plus whatever you had from before. Problem is you are stuck on whatever difficulty you chose earlier. So, this reduces replay value. Furthermore, you cannot pick up extra ammo for your new weapons.

- Casual setting isn't very casual. It's really difficult. Hard mode on other games is equal to the casual setting in 'Evil Within.'

- The auto-aiming came in pretty handy. It was a pain though when you were trying to aim at things to explode and it aimed at individual enemies instead.

- Graphics were so-so. Very bad lighting. I could point to much older games that looked better. Alan Wake for example.

Now what about the good?

- It's fun to destroy enemies. I liked the explosions of flesh. They really went all out with the gore. Did not seem to hold back.

- Upgrade system was good although a little slow to progress.

- The menus of this game and the organization were pretty well done. Nothing too mind boggling. This is something game makers often get wrong.

- Smashing boxes, and barrels to find things, yes, please. Reminds me of old school games.

- Puzzles presented were simple. Nothing mind boggling but it got you to stop and think. CONCLUSION: This is a mixed game. It has some good and bad to it. Could be worth a play for the right price. Although unfortunately it's not something I'd run out to purchase. I appreciate that Bethesda tried though. Evil Within is a strong 6/10. Playable but not amazing.
  15. Jun 30, 2015
    The Evil Within, in a nutshell, is a pure survival horror experience, but with an extremely convoluted and disappointed storyline with even more dull characters. For those who have fun with this game have plenty to look forward to as the game offers a lot of replayability. Not the worst game out there but certainly not the best choice for a survival horror.
  16. Oct 17, 2014
    The Evil Within is a varied, deep, challenging and long game. Shinji Mikami and Tango Gameworks scare us, they mix puzzles and third person shooting in a reborn survival horror that is visually poor. The Keeper, the Alpha mastodon and other ugly deformed will make you have nightmares.
  17. Oct 17, 2014
  18. Oct 16, 2014
    Definitely up there to rival Resident Evil 4 and much scarier. I feel it's a little too similar in game-play so I feel like I have played this before. Overall I recommend any horror genre fan to play this.
  19. Oct 26, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. iv played all the resident evil games and enjoyed them all, so you can Imagen how excited i was about this game when i heard about it. my anticipation wasn't wrong, its a brilliant game has you on the edge of your seat the whole way. yeah the graphics aren't great at times but your so engrosser you fail to notice it. 10/10 for me. Expand
  20. Oct 29, 2014
    I personally love this game. Sure, it has some technical issues such as texture pop-in and an enemy automatically detecting you, but this game such as Enslaved: Odyssey to the West has so much appeal to it, it's easy to overlook them. People often complain about its sagging story in the middle and a boring character and supporting cast, but I see these as the little joys in life. The lackI personally love this game. Sure, it has some technical issues such as texture pop-in and an enemy automatically detecting you, but this game such as Enslaved: Odyssey to the West has so much appeal to it, it's easy to overlook them. People often complain about its sagging story in the middle and a boring character and supporting cast, but I see these as the little joys in life. The lack of story in the middle gives you time to wonder what is happening and try to piece it together yourself (good luck with that), and the boring protagonist lets me immerse myself even more. Even if the character responds lightly, it just elevates how truly crazy the game is. This also lets you put yourself in the position because a lack of backstory lets you not wonder about whats really happening to him personally, except in my case, but it lets you think what are YOU about to walk into, not Sebastian Castellanos. Me being me though, I let myself get attached to him. This game will definitely not appeal to every veteran survival-horror player, but there are elements among it that will serve as a callback, like the limited view, the game being a hoarder with ammo and forcing you to compromise, and just the horror elements such as the unknown, psychological fear, and what dominates the game is gore. LOTS OF GORE. Definitely not for the squeamish, but I would highly recommend it to the people that felt cheated out of Resident Evil 5, because this truly feels as a replacement to continue the canon. Even though I liked it and 6, I believe if the series had continued down the path Resident Evil 4 paved, this would probably be the closest to a true RE 4 sequel. Expand
  21. Nov 3, 2014
    Please....story. Did I mention story? What is happening and why? That's why I love these games, there are backstories. Why is what is happening, happening? Where is the army, national guard, boy scouts?
  22. Dec 17, 2014
    Coming from the legendary creator of Resident Evil, We all expected great things from this game, What we got was a cheap knockoff of RE-4 with a cheap, half assed story that makes no sense. The game plays and handles well enough and the ambiance is genuinely spooky but there is little to nothing here that makes this game actually -Scary- and to make matters worse if you want to give theComing from the legendary creator of Resident Evil, We all expected great things from this game, What we got was a cheap knockoff of RE-4 with a cheap, half assed story that makes no sense. The game plays and handles well enough and the ambiance is genuinely spooky but there is little to nothing here that makes this game actually -Scary- and to make matters worse if you want to give the SLIGHTEST of **** about the main character you have to hunt around every inch of this game to find recordings and files that reveal his tragic back story. Which is freaking STUPID. I had my hopes set so high for this too! It IS worth playing but you should rent it, Don't buy it. It's just not worth it. Expand
  23. Jun 8, 2016
    El juego pudo haber sido el renacimiento del survival horror, lastimosamente sólo queda en eso, en una posibilidad.
    Tiene buenos elementos rescatables pero que por cuestiones técnicas y de jugabilidad se convierten en una experiencia rota.
    En momentos es aburrido, en otros es confuso y en algunos desesperante, llega el momento en que deseas que termine el capítulo con tal de apagar la consola e ir a dormir. Lags, bugs y bajones de frames continuos.
    Lástima, pudo ser algo mucho mejor.
  24. Jun 8, 2016
    This game is very good, but really scary . In this game normal graphics, good and scary storyline and I think normal gameplay . This game not really like on Outlast, but this game much better than Outlast . In this game you must make sure that you have not noticed the butcher and complete mission . Amazing horror .
tbd

No score yet - based on 1 Critic

1. Oct 31, 2014
    A convoluted compendium of horror clichés that superficially invokes mental illness, The Evil Within distinguishes itself as the most pandering survival-horror game yet.