8.0

1. May 1, 2012
    The game tells the story of an inmate, Lee Everett, who is being transported to prison, but in the middle of the ride, on the freeway getting of Atlanta,, begins to see a strange movement of police cars racing to the city. While talking to the officer who guides the vehicle, an accident occurs that begins the story that will unfold in five episodes of the game.

The story and character

The story and character development are excellent, and really have a background with a deep depth pscicological theme.

The game's graphics are very good, in a comic book in Cell-Shadded, style: in general the game have a good graphic detail in the style, but some details are bad with squared textures, but nothing to panic.

The game sounds and music are perfect: the background music goes back to the show, flawless, the same can be said of voiceovers, all dialogues are dubbed, with good actors, like other games produced by Telltale.

The gameplay is based on classic adventure games, of point-and-click: the latest example of it is the game Jurassic Park: The Game for Xbox 360. It is based on simple commands: one sees in the perspective of the character, or in third person, and using the analog to move left, while the right controls the cursor.

With the cursor you search the environment and select objects of interest, and in these, the courses have a format of four arrows, one for each button control, which corresponds to a specific action to be performed (when possible), in that sense the game has the classic component of exploration, to continue the game, and to get more clues about the story and characterization of environments.

The difference being, however, the games mentioned, is another fact: as the game involves zombies, and not static scenes, to fight them, using the same method (eg using the cursor, selecting the head of the zombie The clicks and quickly to kick it). The same applies to the dialogue: it has four options, one for each button on the Xbox 360, and one of the options bar at the bottom shows the time to answer (otherwise you stay silent).

The game's story and some details of it are shaped by their responses or actions, because always when you respond or do something important, appears written on the top left, "Noted You / will remember your response / action.".

The big problem, is the duration of the game: the chapters of this episode (they are 7), are very fast, are basically mini-acts in-game total ... in 4h minutes, knowing nothing of the scenarios you can end it.

But in the general context, is an excellent game for XBLA, that goes for fans of The Walking Dead, and people who love classic style Adventures style point-and-Click, with attractive graphics and a great story - a great style comes back. My score: 8.6 / 10.0.
  2. Jun 2, 2012
    Kind of interactive, quite short zombie comic with no replay value. Watch the trailers and you get an idea of what to expect and - in terms of game play and interaction - NOT to expect from the series. 2 hours video for 400 MS points - you to decide.
  3. Oct 11, 2012
    The Walking Dead was a different style of game than I had in mind. I don't know if this is the right way to frame it but the 3d point and click adventure style is intriguing and frustrating at the same time. Movement throughout the environment feels a little clunky and the frequent freezes don't really help. The pointer being mapped to the stick that uses the finger that also clicks theThe Walking Dead was a different style of game than I had in mind. I don't know if this is the right way to frame it but the 3d point and click adventure style is intriguing and frustrating at the same time. Movement throughout the environment feels a little clunky and the frequent freezes don't really help. The pointer being mapped to the stick that uses the finger that also clicks the buttons to make choices doesn't feel quite right and took some getting used to. The second aspect that initially pops is the art style; I like it, and mainly because it is different. It doesn't look like any other game and along with a seemingly unique gameplay mechanic The Walking Dead really stands out. The story was definitely the driving force in this game; however, I didn't really find it great. I thought that while the storyline is well written it wasn't overly exciting. Maybe I'll have a different perspective on this once I've played the other parts of the story as episode one may just be the character development. I'm going to play episode two as a tester to see if I want to keep going as I don't know if one was enough to base that decision on. Expand
  4. Apr 27, 2012
    The revolution that the Point & Click Adventure genre has been in desperate need of. As a fan of the graphic novels (and a person disappointed with the direction they've taken the subject matter in the show) I can say that I am very pleased at the return to form presented in this game. Some people will gripe (as has already been demonstrated) that it is not a shooter, or an free roaming,The revolution that the Point & Click Adventure genre has been in desperate need of. As a fan of the graphic novels (and a person disappointed with the direction they've taken the subject matter in the show) I can say that I am very pleased at the return to form presented in this game. Some people will gripe (as has already been demonstrated) that it is not a shooter, or an free roaming, open world game. This is because they either dislike the classic point and click adventure games (Sam & Max, Monkey Island Franchise, Loom), or they've simply never played them. The puzzles in the game are less challenging in this title than the other franchises I mentioned, but it keep the pace moving at a steady (and tense) clip. I highly recommend this Episode (and probably the whole series) to anyone who is a fan of either Point & Click Adventure titles or the Graphic Novels. For the rest of you, there are the MW3's and Mass Effects to keep you busy (but you're missing out on a gripping and novel gaming experience). Yes there are Quick Time Events, but they are done so expertly, that each one seems to have you making it through by the skin of your teeth. There is nothing quite like having to kick a zombie in the face while scrambling backwards and desperately searching for anything you can use to beat it to death. The gore is excellently done and every featured zombie is unique and well crafted. In summation, if the Episodes continue to be this length, you're going to get 20+ hours out of it. Given the gravity of the choices so far, the excellent character development and all the possible alternative outcomes, I can't thin of a better way to spend $20. Collapse

1. Jun 19, 2012
    A dark and serious take on an otherwise oversaturated genre. [Issue#86, p.102]
  2. May 28, 2012
    A superbly shocking adaptation that drags the point 'n' click genre into the spotlight. [July 2012, p.84]
  3. May 24, 2012
    Like Dead Rising 2: Case Zero, this is short, and is going for 400 points, which is barely anything. It's not so long that you get bored, and it's not so short that you feel robbed with the cost, unlike a full retail game which can outstay its welcome. The Walking Dead Episode One is a great experience which makes an overused genre interesting once more and tells a nice tale along the way. Hopefully the next episodes can keep the momentum going.