5.1

1. Feb 28, 2014
    If you are a long time fan of the series this reboot will not disappoint. It will if you long for the original, but keep in mind rebooting is what the Zelda series generally does with each installment. This feels like garret in an alternate thief reality and I really dig the approach. Having reflected on other reviews I admit my bias: I was going to love this game no matter what. It basically started the stealth approach in gaming and it has chosen to keep its pacing despite over ten years of gaming trends and changes in gaming culture. I admire that. This game requires full immersion, it wants you to go slow and take your time. That's what thriving is: being patient slow and cautious.

As much as I love the game and am happy with the style and the story it does suffer. I dislike the cinematic elements preferring the old games' picture frame storytelling better. The cinematics force a dramatic tone where the writing takes a hit here and there...no biggie. Also the camera in these sequences is choppy. A technical faux pas. Enemy ai isn't always great and NPC dialogue volume is wonky, and sometimes it echoes. Still not bad enough to break the game. New tools are cool, new ideas for thriving like cutting out paintings are nice.

Story Missions aren't horrible at all. Other reviewers are praising the open world missions and condemning the story's. Some of them are pretty white knuckled!

Don't dislike this game on the merits of what other games do or have done. Like this game on its own see what it offers and you will find a game that requires silence, darkness, patience, timing; if you like low calorie games with lots of flash and sugar you should search elsewhere. Thief is substance.

The city layout is cramped not because the level designers dropped the ball but because that is what The City is. Get lost in it. Know its paths. Know its routes and its history.

One thing I miss from the old games is reading letters on paper not on the drop down pause screen.
  2. Feb 25, 2014
    Thief is truly an excellent game for excellent people. Foreboding atmosphere, superbly controls, complex gameplay systems, intricate graphics, exceptional storytelling, etc. Eidos Montreal have proven once again that their team has the chops to reboot a classic franchise after the incredible Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Thief is a Thief game for fans of the older titles. While some things have changed, 99% of it remains the same but better than ever. 10/10, well deserved! A masterful creation! Expand
  3. Feb 28, 2014
    Ok people trust me here this is a very good game. I never played the first two but played and loved deadly shadows. Unfortunately the reviewers have been way to harsh on this game. I hope this franchise hasn't been ruined by this as we all know how much it costs now to make a game. If you like proper stealth with a cracking atmosphere put this on your list. As this last generation comes to an end I've noticed reviewers getting harsher and harsher with their critique of games. Just look at the start of the generation with fable 2 getting 89 on metacritic and it was an average game at best!!! So it just shows you dont be influenced too much by reviewers. Try this for yourself if you like stealth. Expand
  4. Mar 4, 2014
    Thief has been around a long time. The first game came out in 1998 and it is an iconic game in the industry and inspired lots of other stealth games. Each new game in the franchise has had heavy expectations placed on it. Most Thief games since then have had a somewhat mixed reception. There are those who expect each new game to be exactly like the original. And there are others who want Thief to be more of an action game. Then there are those that have always understood what Thief is about and enjoy it for what it is: a damn good pure stealth series.

The new Thief is no exception. Nothing has given me the sense of skulking about in the shadows and having to use stealth in order to survive better than Thief has. This isn't an action/stealth hybrid like Dishonored or Splinter Cell that you can go in guns blazing and cut down half a dozen guards in a short amount of time. In Thief you have to remain undetected or face the consequences.

At first I was disappointed by the fact you can't use the rope arrow on any wood surface as before and can only attach to specially highlighted beams. But the game makes up for it in other ways. The new swoop ability is pure awesomeness. It gives a fluidity and speed to the game while still feeling stealthy and appropriate.

The graphics are quite good, with some of the best lighting and shadows I have ever seen in a game. The world itself is quite dreary and that may turn off some people, but it has character and a strange charm of its own. I LOVE the atmosphere in this game.

I have come to love the sound design in this game. Playing with headphones you realize all of the amazing little touches and how accurate the positional sound is. As far as the voice acting is concerned, it is very good in the case of Garrett and fairly good in the case of most of the other characters. Garrett is such an intriguing character.

Those giving this game 0/10 and scores like that are complete douchebags and honestly have no business reviewing games. They are hatemongers who simply love bashing and tearing things down. Unfortunately, this sort of behavior is all too common in our society. I have NEVER given a game a score that low, because the truth is, no game has ever deserved such a score. Such scores indicate a game that is completely broken and without redeeming qualities. Thief may not be everybody's cup of tea, but it plays well, looks great and offers a lot of fun for those that enjoy these kind of stealth games. I would personally give the game an 8.9.

All in all I think Thief carries the stealth torch admirably. It's one of the best pure stealth games in years. I've enjoyed it a lot and if you like stealth I believe it is likely that you will too.
  5. Mar 2, 2014
    The game play is amazing, the story line is very eye catching with the different situations it puts you in, but the only thing i don't like is the weapons, although i am just now learning about the alien creature things on the island, but come on, no maces, daggers, or swords of your own? arrows, bombs, and a blunt object can only do so much, yes you can upgrade your equipment and weapons, but make more weapons though. And to be honest, I'm a bit creapped out scared of going into that building knowing that someTHING is in there probably waiting for me. But overall i thing its worth the 60$. Expand
  6. Mar 6, 2014
    Awesome in every way. Mixing stuff form all 3 previous games. The mechanics are awesome and the medieval chaotic city with its complex twists and turns might be annoying but its quite realistic for the setting. The story itself is not as bad as they make it out to be, in parts amusing and funny in parts emotional, the thief taker general character for instance is a real blast, nicely acted. Garrets actor sound a lot like Russell so no problem there either. Nice addition to the thief legacy. worth the 10 year wait, just hope we might get a sequel to the reboot sooner this time. Expand
tbd

No score yet - based on 3 Critics

1. Feb 27, 2014
    If you’ve enjoyed past Thief games, you’ll enjoy the reboot as well. Those new to the franchise, or iffy about stealth, would be better-served renting it to give it a shot.
  2. Feb 26, 2014
    Thief is a lazy slug of a game that drags itself across the planes of mediocrity and it could’ve been so much more. Quite simply, it’s brought to us by a developer that should know better.
  3. Feb 25, 2014
    Ignoring the story and cherrypicking the best side missions is the best way to approach it.