6.4

1. Jul 16, 2013
    This game has some nice visuals at times and some grand levels without any loading times during gameplay or graphical glitches. The achievements are very solid too. However, that's about the only praise that can be given to this game. Story is naff, combat is practically pointless and non-existent throughout most of the game and the focus is entirely on navigating the levels' puzzles and platforms. This wouldn't be too bad if the mechanics, camera and level design were robust. Unfortunately, they are the game's biggest problem. Most of the time when you get stuck, it's not because you couldn't work out where you're meant to go, but the game's physics and camera angle being so obscure that the ledge or platform is glitch to try and get to. Some places which should clearly be scalable aren't, and those which are where you're meant to go are awkwardly placed and will result in many deaths due to the inconsistent directional input detection relative to the camera position. The left and right sticks are almost completely unrelated. The only reason you know where to go is because the game is very linear; there is only one way to play the level and one particular ledge you have to use every time. There is literally zero scope for creativity or playing it your own way. The levels themselves offer a good variety of environments including snow, jungle, underwater and indeed, a tomb. Overall though, Underworld is a bad game with little to offer, and is quite boring to play as well as being broken. Expand
  2. Apr 20, 2011
    I bought this game thinking it would be awesome like the ds version. As soon as I put it in I could tell it was a mistake buying the game. It was no fun, too hard, and terrable graphics. Aviod this game at all costs!
  3. Mar 17, 2013
    The only reason I picked up this game so far in it's life is to fill the gap of the Tomb Raider series. I had played every other Tomb Raider and with the release of the latest, I thought I should fill the gap. Sadly I was extremely disappointed. The controls are awful, the camera work is some of the worst I've seen in this generation, the story is boring and there are more bugs and glitches that Skyrim. The only redeeming factor about this game are a small selection of the puzzles. However, the navigation around most puzzles and general level progressing is completely trial and error. Making blind jumps just to hope something is there. Getting stuck in walls from jumping pole, walking into walls consistently due to terrible controls and simply not grabbing on to ledges in plain reach made the game almost unbearable. My biggest issue with any game is "endurance battles" and this game does not disappointing there. The final fight is literally running around avoid attacks and killing smaller enemies. This does not make an exciting finish to a game. Especially a game as bad as this. Expand
  4. Sep 1, 2012
    The only thing that\'s nice about this game is the graphics and underwater swimming. Everything else is a joke in my opinion. However some other people I know love this game so I guess it\'s really depending on the players preferences. Lots of running around looking for stuff and hopping from wall to wall. Pretty much a bad Prince of Persia game with better graphics.
  5. Mar 8, 2014
    I loved the new tombraider (2013) so I decided to go back and play some of the older games. I bought four of them and so far this is by far the worst. The controls are BAD. Your controller options often reset like whenever you save or get an xbox achievement. (I have never had this happen before in a game) so I must have turned on inverted controls 30 times. The autosave is terrible and doesn't often work. I finally just quit the game after having the save fail and having to replay a long, tedious puzzle again.

The story is decent and the puzzles are fun but the controls are an absolute gamebreaker. I also got Tomb Raider anniversary and that is a MUCH better game even though it is 3+ years older. Better look, controls and story IMO.

1. While it’s occasionally fiddly, it has pace and spectacle and style to spare. Underworld is that rare game that manages to provide a real adventure to go along with its action. [Christmas 2008, p.95]
  2. One of the finest adventure games you're likely to find on the 360. [Issue#39]
  3. We really enjoyed our time with Miss Croft, but it is more of the same and 'dependable' isn't exciting enough. When you take a look at the gaming world around her, you wonder if it isn't time for another re-invention, not of the character, but her universe.