• Publisher: Kalypso
  • Release Date: Oct 18, 2011
  • Also On: PC
7.4

1. Mar 24, 2013
    I've been a fan of Tropico since the first one came out many years ago for the PC. Tropico 2, with its pirate kitsch, was an annoying distraction, but Tropico 3 made up for it. Tropico 4...? The best way to describe this installment is as "Tropico 3 with a lot of extra features." Is it an entirely new game? Not really, but how could it be and still be Tropico? The new features areI've been a fan of Tropico since the first one came out many years ago for the PC. Tropico 2, with its pirate kitsch, was an annoying distraction, but Tropico 3 made up for it. Tropico 4...? The best way to describe this installment is as "Tropico 3 with a lot of extra features." Is it an entirely new game? Not really, but how could it be and still be Tropico? The new features are universally good; there are none I was forced to look at and think "Why did you do this to my game?" Smooth controls, which are surprising for a console builder game, and a reasonably smart menu system make the game easy to play for hours. And hours. And hours and hours until your boss calls and asks where you are. Kalypso has also been good enough to port the expansion packs that have been released, which add considerable content to the game. New buildings, edicts, and all kinds of amusing stuff which fit seamlessly into the Tropico mold. Overall, this is an amazingly good builder on its own; add in the fact that it's this good on a console, and it's outstanding. There is one serious downside, though, and it's this flaw alone that dings my rating. I've had serious problems with corrupted saves once an island has been running for a significant length of time (about 30 years). Perhaps one day a patch will come out to cure this, but I'm not optimistic; the same problem plagues Tropico 3 on the Xbox. Still, tons of fun to play! (Just cross your fingers while saving!) Expand
  2. Aug 11, 2013
    A great city building game full of things to do. A fun campaign and an amazing sandbox mode, create tourist traps, industrial wastelands, huge metropolises, or agriculture islands, way better then sim city enact laws, set taxes, be despicable, and create your dream island!
  3. Mar 14, 2014
    Plenty of stuff to do in this town building sim. Because the population of your islands is really small (under 1000), each citizen is unique in it's political affiliations and preferences. The game consists of making money while keeping your citizens happy.

There's plenty of humor, from the sexual innuendos of your high school teacher to your advisor constantly defending your actions. Great voice acting all around.

After playing on over 10 islands, I still have not built every single building, there's over 50 of them, and the expansion strategy seems to be really deep. The best city building game I've seen yet.
  4. Dec 20, 2014
    I wasn't sure about this game, so I gave it a try. I fell in love with this game! I could not put the controller down. This game was like my escape from reality. The graphics are quite good. There are tons of missions. You take on the role of "El Presidente" and manage your very own island and take part in politics. The storyline is captivating. From time to time, your advisors orI wasn't sure about this game, so I gave it a try. I fell in love with this game! I could not put the controller down. This game was like my escape from reality. The graphics are quite good. There are tons of missions. You take on the role of "El Presidente" and manage your very own island and take part in politics. The storyline is captivating. From time to time, your advisors or political figures from other nations will have a proposal for you, and the game shows text boxes {next to a character} that you get to read. You have all these different groups like environmentalists, religious, etc. that you try to win favor from. You make decisions {one of four options you can choose from during a mission} in the game that will benefit you but could result in consequences. The game is all about staying in power; that's the main objective. Tropico 4 is one of the best games I've played. I played it for 10 consecutive days. The game is very fun and engaging; it was well worth my time. Try it. Expand

1. Feb 15, 2012
    Tropico 4 is a well-crafted update that is subtly better in almost every respect, including more helpful guidance to total newcomers and a steady stream of in-game mini-missions to keep things interesting. That pesky save bug makes an unwelcome return though and really should have been dealt with by now, but that aside you will be lost in a tropical paradise.
  2. Jan 12, 2012