5.8

1. Feb 25, 2014
    Thief is truly an excellent game for excellent people. Foreboding atmosphere, superbly controls, complex gameplay systems, intricate graphics, exceptional storytelling, etc. Eidos Montreal have proven once again that their team has the chops to reboot a classic franchise after the incredible Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Thief is a Thief game for fans of the older titles. While some things have changed, 99% of it remains the same but better than ever. Expand
  2. Feb 25, 2014
    As someone who has never been exposed to the Thief franchise prior to this installment, this newest Thief is a sleeper hit for me. I'm thoroughly enjoying every moment with this game. The graphics and detail are incredible!! Some of the best I've seen. This is one of the most polished, immersive, atmospheric games to come out in awhile. I'm loving the mellow paced, stealth gameplay where the main focus is stealing as much as possible in contrast to fighting as many enemies as possible. Its an incredibly refreshing feeling in regards that most games nowadays are more focused on throwing as many enemies as possible at you which quickly gets old. This game is relaxing to play and a great way to wind down. I like games where I can just look and explore the game environment and admire at its beauty. This is one of those games that really transports you to that location and making you forget your just playing a game. In my opinion, this is the best stealth game I've ever played, even better than Dishonored which I also loved. I highly recommend this to anyone who is interested in this game. I'm really baffled by the critics scores nowadays. Sometimes, they come across more as video game haters, then video game lovers. And its interesting how franchises that have been around for awhile like Mario will play it safe and result in a been there done that feeling, yet their scores are always high while new franchises or resurrected franchises will experiment with something new and overall do it well, but critics will nitpick the hell out of the game and review it harshly. Then later these same critics will complain about the lack of creativity and experimentation in the video game industry! Its very ironic. Anyways, try this game out and see for yourself whether you enjoy it or not. For me, its one of the best games I've ever had the pleasure playing. And I hope they continue this franchise! Expand
  3. Feb 25, 2014
    With the developers getting caught giving fake positive reviews should tell enough about this game. With what feels like unfinished gameplay, levels and a horrible plot this game is not worth getting at all. I looked at this game as it's own thing, separate from the original series but it's just plays like an unfinished game. Graphics look like something we would see in 2007 and dialogue is joke. It is not worth spending $60 dollars on this game so if you still plan on getting it, rent it or buy it used instead. Expand
  4. Feb 26, 2014
    Please, for the love of god. Support good video games in the industry by NOT BUYING THIS!!! This is such a mess I don't even know where to begin.

Okay, so they ripped almost the entire sound element of Thief out the window, the only things on the floor that make any more noise than complete silence are shards of glass and water. Every NPC's voice volume is at the same level to the point
    where you can't tell if someone is right beside you or two rooms away. It's a fascinatingly large **** in the sound department, to say the least.

Now on to the marketed "amazing immersive AI" that was in the Steam Store Page feature list, a FLAT OUT LIE. This game has some of the worst AI I've seen in a modern video game, you can get seen by guards and hide in a **** cupboard and they will forget you are there and go back to their business. You can do this six times in a row and they'd be as surprised to see you as they were the first time, and as entirely clueless at knowing where you are hiding as every consecutive time you had hidden in the same place.

The loot aspect is entirely downplayed, Garrett is no longer a master thief, but a petty hoarder. He grabs absolutely everything, from metal cups and cutlery to scissors and magnifying glasses worth 1-5 gold each. This is the stuff that Garrett would quickly gloss over while looking for precious golden candlesticks and expensive wines in the old games.

Not only this but loot doesn't even factor into the objectives of the damn game, and why would it, since the Garrett character has been so butchered and he's been put to live in an abandoned clocktower. He has no need for loot to pay the rent just to stay alive like our previous Garrett.

On top of all this, and the rest about Garrett's character being butchered, which is far too much for me to fit into this 5000 word maximum review, the levels are linear as all-hell. Everything is a straight corridor, every place you have to break in to has one way that the developers planned for you to use, gone are the days of open-ended Thief levels, now it plays like a mix between Call of Duty and Uncharted as far as level design goes.

Rope arrows have also been butchered, if you thought their removal from Deadly Shadows was bad, you're going to wish you had the Climbing Gloves. The Rope Arrows in this new Thief game can only attach to very specific roped wooden beam spots, not any wooden surface, they may as well not be a rope arrow at this point.

The dialogue is atrocious, even if you don't count the two main characters acting like they're in a emo teen angst movie. The guards are constantly mumbling about extremely stupid **** like "cock-rings".

Please, save your money and help the industry by not buying this excrement. If you really can't stand the old Thief games because you feel they're dated and want to try a game like old Thief then the closest you're going to find is Dishonored. Buy and play that instead.
  5. Feb 25, 2014
    Thief 1 & 2 are classics, forever changing what we thought video games were capable of. This ugly reboot gets Thief about as wrong as it is possible to get wrong. I kid you not, there is a sequence where you are chased rooftop to rooftop by dogs and if you screw up or slow down you are killed. This game is a total mess, watered down, linear, consolized and casualized for the ignorant masses. There is such incredible content still being made for Thief on PC, The HD Mods, The Dark Mod with new levels being released constantly, there is absolutely no reason to pay for this garbage. Expand
  6. Feb 26, 2014
    one of the best games I ever played deserves a 10 , this game surpasses a lot of games already played and my favorite game by how much this game is too much loved and will never forget that I played it because some think it is not epic but I loved it and I think others also liked the gameplay is very good to me the graphics do not need backup talk because they are very good and very interesting story Expand
  7. Feb 28, 2014
    If you are one of the haters listen up, this game is the bomb. Garrett is back in the fourth instalment of the Thief series. This latest blockbuster is a tour-de-force in stealth, redefining the genre once again. If you don’t like it, prepare to be knocked out by the new powerful Garrett and his improved blackjack!

If you thought Garrett was well equipped before, buckle yourself up son
    as he now he has incredible supernatural powers! These let him see through walls, way better than having to look yourself like the other games. Rope arrows are back with some serious attitude, these help you more than ever before with the new and improved levels! Let’s face it, the levels of the first games were lame level design, those suckers were boring as hell, this time the emphasis is on the real deal; stealing stuff!

You want a script, you got it! The story has plenty of wicked action and developed characters enough to satisfy you film fans out there. The dialogue is cranked up to 2014 and these dudes aren’t scared to tell you what they think. F-this and f-that, s-this and time to drop a c-bomb in there somewhere. Who needs that Old English stuff when you have proper swearing?

Thief looks like a real boss! Prepare for an eyegasm the second you see it! Followed by an intense eargasm! The music is insane and awesome! Oh yeah, the game plays awesome too as you can become a real thief and steal from peoples houses just like in Brixton - word to the massive! But how about some end-of-level bosses to mix up the action a bit? How about a zombie hordes mode for multiplayer? They could have a mode called Steal The Flag which would be awesome in Thief!

So all you Thief fans won’t be disappointed as this game is a true soldier in the stealth war, guaranteed to keep the millions entertained until the next Battlefield! Anyone who disses this game needs to back up their stuff, this is the greatest game in this quality series so far.

Graphics 10 – proper blazing showing the true potential of the XBONE and PS4 capabilities
    Sound 10 – AMAZING sounds, it’s like a orchestra in my home!
    Gameplay 10 – Addicting as alcohol or any drug!
    Depth 9 – You can play it time and time again different and find new ways to play! Why no multiplayer though?!

8. Feb 25, 2014
    Oh god how pathetic when developers and marketing people have to give positive reviews for games just to try and boost their sales.

Anyone who rates this game a 7,8,9 or 10 out of 10 are just not being realistic.

I was looking forward to this game and was hugely disappointed. Its uninspired, buggy, nowhere next gen, little own last gen and with 10 years past since the last title the
    game has not made any improvements and instead have destroyed a good game.

DO NOT WASTE your money.
  9. Feb 27, 2014
    ***Minor note: Anyone who gives a 0/10 is does not deserve to review a game. a 0/10 means that the game cannot be played, the game is corrupt and is not fun in the slightest; meaning you take four steps and the game will not let you continue or you don't have the skill to continue.

But this game is not like that at all.

Thief is a lot like dishonored and if you liked that game then
    you will like this game a lot. The stealth is really fun. The audio has nothing to do with the fun, but it's there and if you listen you'll hear secrets. Thief does take awhile to get into but once it's open its very fun. I had more fun exploring than actually doing the story. But the story isn't terrible just not the best. The graphics don't suck but they don't blow. And the scope of the game is quite impressive. In my opinion this is a very good stealth game, but be weary of those dreaded 0/10 scores that affect the main score. Call them trolls or what you not, but I call them incapable of being good reviewers. Have fun looting! Expand
  10. Mar 1, 2014
    As a long-time fan of the Thief series, I had high expectations for the game. I am not disappointed. I don't understand the harsh and lukewarm reviews, this is an awesome entry in the franchise. The game captures the stealth of the original game and brings it up to date. Purists will want to select a hard difficulty level and turn off some of the assistance. I hope the franchise does well and continues on. Expand
  11. Feb 28, 2014
    Disclaimer: I’m not the type of person to write reviews but since Thief is one of, if not my favourite series of games I felt I should on this occasion. This decision was also made in-part due to a ridiculous amount of clearly fake reviews here, as well as shill posts on steam & various gaming boards around the net. I'm incredibly disappointed in the dev team and square enix for attempting to dump money trying to buy a better 'score' & sales rather than spending the money making a better game.

- Lighting is binary, you're either visible or you're not. Fog is everywhere but does nothing.
    - Sound is largely irrelevant when compared with previous games,
    - Controls are limited after being designed for controllers, 2 sets of crucial actions (Movement/Interaction) are grouped and unchangeable. Enjoy falling off a building after mantling when you intended to climb instead.
    - AI is probably some of the worst I’ve ever seen (Thief 1 & 2 actually have superior AI).
    - Level design is mostly corridors & shafts. In each level there’s 2 routes minimum, didn’t find more than 3. Obvious ‘stealth’ route, alternate route/Deus Ex HR-style ventilation shaft route & then a more ambitious, often vertical route if you’re lucky.
    - Missions: They very quickly devolve into find whatever/go-to wherever to watch the next cutscene and witness the atrocious story.
    - Garrett: Generic, modern protag who the world revolves around. No witty remarks, mostly just blurts out edgy comments or recounts information the player is already aware of.
    - Port: Pretty good except for the memory leaks & crashes.
    - Graphics: Bloated, old unreal engine 3 with improved crisp shadows. Colour palette: blue + orange only.
    - Story: I’d actually be wasting your time on this planet if I attempted to try and repeat it.

More words:
    - Load screen & cutscene to gameplay ratio is ridiculous
    - You can’t jump (there is limited contextual jumping/mantling)
    - Viewmodel fov (T-Rex/invisible piano hands) is immersion breaking & may also induce nausea
    - There is a qte within the first 30 seconds of gameplay
    - Forced takedown sequences
    - Forced escape sequences
    - Thirdperson climbing sequences
    - Occasional QTE before load screens/level loads
  12. Mar 1, 2014
    This game is much better than I was expecting. (I haven't played the old ones)

Graphics looks good but they don't feel next-gen. Frame rate drops in open areas and is not fluid, which is bad for a game that doesn't look truly next-gen.

Feeling of being a thief is good. Dialogues are good too. The bow is not fun to use, it feel unpolished.
  13. Feb 28, 2014
    All right, this game it pretty fun if I do say so myself. Its got all the mechanics a good stealth game needs, some good ol' sneaky free roaming and it is all tied together with keeping you entertained at the same time! While I do say this is one fun game at the same time it does have a noticeable glitch. The A.I. sometimes has a problem with keeping a smooth path. Instead of taking a smooth turn it will be a little twitchy or if standing on an uneven surface the foot will twitch a little bit. I know that may be a little picky but sometimes it can be slightly "unimmersive" from time to time. Other than that though, this is one game I recommend you to consider if you like stealth games. Expand
  14. Feb 27, 2014
    Le jeux je le trouve tres bon, malgrés ses quelque defaut il ne vaut pas un 9 ou 10 mais la a mettre un 69/100 je trouve sa abusé car j'ai bien aimé ce jeux moi
  15. Mar 1, 2014
    Tremendously big bummer. It's actually worse than most of the reviews. First the positives: the sound and ambience is quite good, and the side missions can be quite fun and evoke a sense of being a master thief. But the load times every five minutes really ruin the immersion. The graphics are decidedly last gen, the character models in particular being a major weak point. But the real true killer that nobody seems to be mentioning is how utterly unrealistic the stealth is. Without the meter telling you are hidden you could never tell. Many times you are standing right beside a lamp and the game tells you you're hidden, and other time inextricably you're visible. He AI is atrocious, often times I could avoid detection by just burying my nose away from the guard (of which btw there are only two different models). The audio has major bugs with nonsense of direction or volume changes depending on how far away characters are. The story is nonsensical and badly trying to be edgy and just coming across as dumb. Worst of all the design fights with itself. It wants to reward exploration and discovery but the random load screens that you can accidentally trigger make you wary of trying anything. In addition, by exploring to find stuff you invalidate a particularly stealthy entrance by backtracking to a different variation, meaning you do unnatural things in trying to find more loot. The game story which has urgency built in fights against the desire to find more stuff. Having the story provide motivation for the looting everywhere would have again provided a more immersive experience. There is a good game hiding in here, but baffling decisions that make the game feel very "fake" and frequent loads really rip you out of the experience turning this into a linear completion exercise rather thsn something to be savored. Expand
  16. Mar 9, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. [Condensed]

Concept: A reboot of a classic series that sticks nostalgically to its roots while maintaining a fresh, new presentation as well. A decent story and even better gameplay and moments highlight the duration of the game's semi-linear pathway.

Graphics: Definitely showcases the new hardware for the next generation consoles, however it looks the best on computers, unless you're system isn't up to snuff. Thief doesn't look too bad on 360 and PS3, but the other three choices would definitely be in your best interest if you have the opportunity to pick and choose.

Sound: The voice acting is handled quite well and really elicits the exact moods Thief aims for, however the soundtrack feels slightly out of place at times, though the tenser and more actiony moments fit in well with their mixes.

Playability: The controls handle phenomenally, the controls make sense, and overall the balancing and difficulty aren't too terrible once you get the hang of things- just don't come expecting handouts or any concessions to be given.

Entertainment: If you suck during one particular section, the game can become very frustrating, however the highlight of every mission is successfully scraping by without being detected, or at least making it to the final puzzle before escaping with your precious cargo in tow.

Replay Value: Moderately High.

Overall Score: 8.5
  17. Feb 26, 2014
    I'm only up to Chapter 3, so my score may change, but as of today - this is a great game. It reminds me of a combination of Dishonored, Assassin's Creed with a little of Batman Arkham in there too. You don't have to play stealthily (you are rated in 1 of 3 ways after each chapter - from 'ghost' (never being seen) to the opposite (can't remember the ranking name - but it's if you kill every guard instead of hiding) and you can replay chapters to change your rating.

There's tons of mini missions, tons of upgrades and tons of collectibles to find. I love open world games and this one is close to it. It plays like Dishonored but there's a large hub, where between each chapter you go to restock and look at all the items you've stolen.

I'm giving it a 10 to offset the people that gave it a 2?! I'm playing it on Xbox One and the graphics are great! This is a good game, I hope it holds up as I continue to play it.
  18. Mar 2, 2014
    Game-Play: Awesome Graphics: Awesome Story: Awesome Excitement: Top Notch Length: Not worth full retail price I kept thinking as I was playing that the game was progressing toward the end way too quickly. It's pretty sad that a game like Skyrim, which takes over a month to beat if with light play and doing side quests, costs the same as a game like Thief and the latest Tomb Raider which takes roughly two to three days of the same amount of play to finish. At 59.99, the only thieving this game does is from your own wallet. I was seriously expecting more and I can't believe I went out and spent a crapload of money buying an Xbox One just so I could play this game. And now I get to wait until the new Elder Scrolls Online comes out... it's going to be a long wait. Thanks Thief. Seriously, rent this from the red box for a few dollars or wait until it's made it to $10 or less for a used copy at Game Stop. Expand
  19. Mar 4, 2014
    If you've played the original games and sat in solid contemplation about why gamers LOVED these games it wasn't just for the fleeting moments of exhilaration when you'd get caught between the patrol routes of two guards, it was the feeling of learning players had to do - You had to learn guard routes, learn maps, look and explore. There was no Swoop, there was only waiting and observing.

Massive sprawling levels didn't mean long linear progressions, but lateral and vertical dimension, back AND forth progression through a single area, finding keys, opening unpickable locks, finding clues, backtracking, and leaving undetected.

And rope arrows that could attach to anything wooden....

There was so much promise, but the essence of Thief was missed in this installment. I've played the first two games countless times, but I was so rushed to be done with this one, I don't think I'll ever play it again.
  20. Mar 14, 2014
    The game has its flaws, but there are more good than bad. Pros: The gameplay is really fun. It actually makes you feel like a real thief. It has a story that will keep you interested. The soundtrack goes pretty well with what is going on in the game Very fluid controls Cons No replay value, I beat the single player and don't see myself picking it up any time soon Sometimes very bad AI.
    Very flawed combat system

I can see how it received mediocre reviews, but I had a lot of fun playing it. Overall 7.5/10
  21. Mar 16, 2014
    Before I begin, this is coming from a person who has never played the original Thief game. I bought this game with an open mind and I do like multiple genres of games. This game however I tried my hardest to like but just could not get into it. The controls felt horrible. The story was atrocious.Think Assassin's Creed but in first person and just terrible. I gave this game a 4 though because it did have a lot going for it, stealth wise. Expand
  22. Apr 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First off I am going to go out on a limb and say most if not all the other reviewers on here have never played the original thief games. I have and above all else having played the originals is what really upset me about this new thief game. So let me first get this out of the way and say that if you are looking for me to comment on graphics and such please read elsewhere because to me graphics are a secondary to a story driven game such as thief.
    So to get it right out there initially I wasn't sure what to expect ... was this a continuation of thief or was it a reboot or retelling or reintroduction. After playing it is some kind of extremely weird hybrid. It completely does away with many of the supporting factions that were a major part of the thief games ... where are the keepers ... where are the hammerites .... where are the pagans .... not even really a mention of these influential groups of the past. Sure in one scene you see a hammer symbol and at some point he mentions the trickster but to those who have never played any other thief aren't you left wondering what are these symbols ... who is the trickster ... etc.... These key parts get NO explanation throughout the game.
    If you are in the category of never played another thief game ever how can you over look so many holes in the characters and story. Too many other reviewers are wrapped up in graphics and AI but the real issue is the poor development character and story wise. For example ... who is Garrett ... Who is Erin .... how do these two know each other. Why does Garrett care about Erin? Why does Garrett steal? where did he get his abilities? How did he come to live in a clock tower (which btw was destroyed in a previous game)? Why does Garrett have two different eyes .... how did he lose the eye ... where did he get the new one? Who is this trickster Garrett mentioned .... once? The list goes on and on and on it is extremely poorly developed. The previous games essentially played like a novel each building from the other and had connection between them. This is so far in left field it is neither a continuation nor is it really a reboot as I mentioned before some weird hybrid thing. Also Erin is a pain in the ass and to be brutally honest not worth saving. The zombies in the original games were awesome and frightening as well sometimes. The freaks as they are called which presumably replaced the zombies are just stupid over sensitive humans that just make stupid sounds.
    So I will touch on a few other things though and that is the side missions are more fun then the actual missions which is okay in my book but to often I found myself wondering .... why am I stealing all this stuff ... its only so I can afford the upgrades which at 2g a spoon or fork you are going to need to steal a lot of silverware. In this element it tries to force you to replay missions which to be honest there really is no other reason to play them as they are a bit boring at times and you get impatient and start doing stupid things causing you to restart the checkpoint and sit through another load screen. The layout of the city is horrendous. Other than the major exists you are never sure if a window you go through is a house or a exit to another part of the city you may not want to go to yet. In this day and age this city should have been completely open with no load screens between areas and a much better map situation because the one they gave is very confusing.
    To touch a little on game play it certainly isn't bad but it isn't great either. The best thing they added was the swoop which was the only thing that really made this game stand out the swoop is awesome.
    My advice would be don't buy this until it is around 20 dollars or just rent it. If you want achievements then this game is certainly manageable but it will take a bit of time to get them all. If you do not care about story at all or character development then you wont take issue with anything really in the game. To some other reviewers on here try to remember this is NOT halo or GOW or anything remotely like that ... you cant go in black jack a blazing and expect to take everyone out the game is slow paced and if slow isn't really your thing then move along.
  23. Apr 21, 2014
    More boring version of dishonoured. Becomes very repetitive early on and the characters / storyline is too boring to really care what happens to them.
    Great graphics though.
    Go buy dishonoured and play that instead
  24. Mar 26, 2014
    I wanted to like Thief, I truly did. There was so much next-gen potential harmonizing with experienced developers, I assumed this was a no-brainer purchase; but alas, you all know what is generally said about assumptions. Thankfully there is GameStop which has a seven day return policy on used games. I first had a hint of something suspicious when the used Thief games were selling at $40 not even a full week after release. I thought to myself, “maybe it’s a niche title, and hey what the hell, I love most niche titles”. I rarely find a game that I just particularly hate in every way, and I have never given a zero to any game, ever.

Thief starts off in Square Enix’s beautiful medieval city setting. Once the game got going though, I had to check to make sure I was playing my XBONE instead of my PS3 because the graphics were equivalent to Dishonered on PC with the settings all on LOW. This was a next-gen single-player adventure game, where was that awe inspiring stimulation which accompanied the visual presentation of AC:BF or BF4? “Oh well”, I thought to myself, so what if Thief is sporting sub-par graphics, the gameplay will surely make up for it… wont it?

I set off into the world with my master Thief tools in hand and subterfuge on my mind. Determined to play the game the way it was meant to truly be played, I set on being a ghost and only taking minimal artificial life. This wasn’t an assassin game, this was Thief, it was time to rob a bank Shaun Connery style (Entrapment). Next thing I know, I’m spending the next hour stealing ink bottles and running amuck on the dumbest AI since the zombies in the original Resident Evil. Darting from shaded area to shaded area like I’m playing the original Splinter Cell, these guys would stand a foot away looking right in my direction and would never see me. Throw a bottle directly in front of them and you will get a remembrance of the original Metal Gear Solid; oh yeah, you know, “Huh? What was that? (3 seconds of investigation) Guess it was nothing.” Get in trouble? Just run into a room and hide in the closet, don’t worry the guards will never suspect, because they’re brain dead. If you decide you want to pick off everyone one by one, don’t worry, the guard who was talking to his buddies 5 seconds ago won’t notice if two go missing when he turns back around.

I ended up taking the game back after only two hours of play time. Maybe I have no room to say that the plot was bland and the filler was mind-numbing. I do know though, that I wanted to stop playing after 30 minutes, but I kept waiting for things to get better. I strongly suggest watching a little on Twitch before making this purchase, or at least buy it using Game Stop’s seven day return option. I was looking for a truly great single player game, and Square Enix built me up just to tear me down.

–Nicholas (Merc)
  25. Mar 14, 2014
    How to say that guys? The game is boring, don't buy that... There's so many way to scrap your pay! I've make a mistake when I've gave 70$ to my games store... He's to short, the loading screen are not cool, the story.... She's just BAD, the graphics? Come on we're in 2014, not in 2010… To resume... The game is BAAADDD!
  26. Mar 31, 2014
    Can sum up in three words...
    Gets
    Boring
    Fast

I tried to like this and tried to convince myself I did like it... but after being forced through confusing map navigation, repetitive game-play and stupid AI over and over into the third chapter I gave up and returned it.

Viva the EB Platinum card!
  27. Mar 29, 2014
    Thief is easily one of the worst games that I have ever played. It has one of the most retarded Artificial intelligences in any game, and the story is one of the worst ever written. This game is a waste of money.
  28. Mar 7, 2014
    Thief was fun the first time, but gets bored in the second play through, the story was decent, the stealth was amazing, but the enemies was stupid and kinda ruin the fun in the stealth but was still challenging , still it deserve a 8, it's not a game you will need NOW, you can easily wait a few months , the city is nice detailed and the side missions is fun.

There is a lot of bugs in
    the game, witness several bugs through out my first play through but some was so fun I could not stop smiling, the game doesn't deserve a 1 to 6 it deserve 8 nothing more or less, you get something for your price, believe me. But as I mentioned before you can wait. I bought it for revisit the Thief Universe! Expand
  29. May 15, 2014
    When i first started playing the i game i liked it but as i progressed it start getting boring and repetitive. I did not go speed running my way though i took my time on normal but most of my experience was ruined by glitches with the Ai and other glitches like when i''m up high on something in the dark then the Ai that are on the ground randomly see me . The game suffers from poor level design and horrible combat and sometimes game breaking glitches. What glitch that really done it is when i had to goto the next objective then when i gone into that door my game froze and started at chapter 1 and i was at chapter 7 and i don't feel like doing everything ALL over again. This game is only worth $15 to me but i paid full price because i thought it would innovate and be the best stealth game yet. 2.0 Expand
  30. Mar 25, 2014
    It's not terrible, but it's not great. As others have said the background characters get stuck in a repetitive dialogue loop which is really disappointing for such a massively hyped up game. It's the simple things sometimes. Also sometimes the dialogue is loud, other times it's quiet.. I kept having to adjust my TV volume. Sometimes it's out of synch too. That's the bad stuff. The good stuff is that the chapters are very different from one another which I loved, especially Chapter 5! Sneaking in and out of the shadows is a lot of fun and the controls are great, responsive nothing sticky at all. Soundtrack is good, graphics are good. 6/10 Expand
  31. Mar 2, 2014
    Dark, gritty and intense, Thief will suck you into it's troubled world and make you feel like a real master thief. A stealth game that makes you really think about how you are going to tackle it's missions and makes you want to replay them straight away to see if you could do it better, tons of replayability and a lot of room for DLC expansion. The comparisons to Dishonored are justified as it will have you tossing hours away just the same before you even tackle the challenge mode. Expand
  32. Mar 8, 2014
    player choice?!
    what the developers have been touting as "choice" amounts to nothing more than the player being given a "fork in the road" where you can choose to climb a rope and sneak past one enemy and crawl through a sewer grate to evade a different enemy. The "open world" allow you to "free-roam" about as much as a pet store kitten. I've never tried the original "thief", but I'm
    sure it must be better than this. Stealth is one of my favorite genres, but this is pitiful.
    this game bring nothing new- it rips off the climbing of assassins creed, the stealth of dishonored, the entire thing feels like it's trying to hard to do something other games have already been doing better for years. it's also short, unless you include the side quests. DO NOT BUY. RENT IT IF YOU MUST TRY.
  33. Mar 13, 2014
    Thief in short is a disappointment to me which proves that graphics are not everything. The graphics look what i would expect from next gen mostly however things stick out at me which i cannot ignore such as: 1) All the shopkeepers are the same model. Very lazy when you consider this is a BLURAY and could easily fit far more models. 2) Members of the public are sparse, usually all repeats of previous citizens you saw and constantly utter the same lines over and over in a short period and gesture into nowhere as though they were talking to someone that isnt there
    3) Items of scenery which you would EXPECT to move if you walked into them such as chains and other hanging things....well....dont. Being a stealth game you would expect this to be an easy way to make a viable obstacle. Items such as hanging manacles are solid as brick walls.

That aside the lighting effects and gloomy victorian look is excellent. However the above points detract from this and make the game seem lazy and rushed.

The voice of Garret and his comments are well done and enjoyable to listen to. However that's where the good parts end, the NPC's dialogue is frankly embarrassing and often NPC's will repeat the same conversation over and over in the space of 10 or 15 seconds.

A notable example is when 2 guards are discussing what happens to people on their 3rd offence in the city. The other guard replies they are hung whilst the other exclaims he figured they were tossed in jail. Give it 10 seconds and apparently the guard has had explosive amnesia and cannot remember what the punishment is and asks his friend again...and again and again.

While not life changing when you consider it may take 3-4 mins to traverse the dark street unseen you get real tired REAL QUICK of hearing this. Again give this is a BLURAY there is no worry of disk space as far as i can tell so how much trouble would it of been to add a pool of 20-30 stock sayings guards could utter to each other?

The trailer for the game brags about PLANNING YOUR ROUTE. Alas the different routes you can take are superficial and often lead to the same bottlenecks.

Parts of the game are obviously lifted from Tomb Raider made also by SquareENIX (E.g. the rope arrow can ONLY attach to special areas designated by a plank with rope wrapped around....remarkably .... NO exactly like the one from tomb raider)

Come on SquareENIX i expected more of you than to copy and paste between games.

Stealing items is almost comical. Garret must have some very deep pockets lined with something special. After 10 hours of playing the game i think i must of stole over 50 each of spoons, forks, knives, scissors, picture frames, cups etc.

Garrett is evidently not the master thief he used to be and is resorting to getting rich through sheer attrition of stealing the cities cutlery. When you open drawers etc to find objects it seems a bit "weird" to find a single fork in the drawer.

It would of been better i think to make the drawer look full of stuff and for garret to take the fork from amongst in a show of "rummaging"

Stealing off guards is largely pointless as they either have almost nothing or you have to knock them out ANYWAY to proceed in which case your awarded the contents of their wallets.

The side missions are fairly entertaining and lead you around most of the city quite well however the city is not nearly as big as the trailer leads you to believe.

The main missions are interesting however some sketchy AI leads guards to literally stare at one area after being alerted once limiting your options from there on.

The swoop mechanic whereupon you can move between areas of shadow and light rapidly is fun however when in large areas of darkness it seemingly goes off at random. Not good if your near to a guard and about to blackjack him and just SWOOP out in front of him.

Guards are tough and scary. As they should be as Garret is not known for being a tough guy.

All in all the game feels unfinished and amateurish and not what i would expect from Eidos/SquareENIX at all ESPECIALLY after how great tomb raider was.

I really WANT to like this game but it feels more of a time passer to me presently at the end of chapter 3.
  34. Mar 14, 2014
    So disappointed with this game. The game suffers from having quite simply the worst city design I have ever seen in any game causing intense frustration when trying to find your way around. The game play is average at best and for a stealth game - way too easy to get around unnoticed. I was really looking forward to the reboot of Thief but this game is way more frustrating than fun or challenging. Off to trade it in for something playable. Expand
  35. Apr 2, 2014
    I can't say anything positive about this game...not one thing...oh wait, this game makes it worth owning a Gamefly subscription! Um, 150 characters long
  36. Apr 1, 2014
    "The machine ate my quarter" I'm not a Thief purist, and I can appreciate a game with flaws, but there's one quick way to keep me from continuing to play a game: Deleting your saved game I hadn't really experienced all the bugs people had cursed about until about four hours in or so, but then it happened. I went to the next area in the map, and lo and behold, instead of loading the expected new area, it had oddly loaded one of my old autosaves in a completely different area of the map. I assumed it was my fault, or a simple fluke, but no, it continued to repetitively send me back to the same old save spot every time. After closing and starting up again, I found that my manual save file (about 1 hour ahead of my old autosave) was, in fact, no more to be found. Quite the cruel April Fools joke. Good thing I gamefly'ed it. Not about to waste any more time with those shenanigans.

Off in the mail you go!
  37. Jun 3, 2014
    I wanted so much for this game to be good. Hell, I bought an xbox one for it! That's why it pains me to have to write this review. The level design is meh, the combat is average at best and the story is subpar. Add to it the bugs and the terrible sound design and implementation ( it's a stealth game where all sounds are on top of you no matter where the enemy is) and you have a mediocre reboot at best. Expand
  38. Jun 8, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Thief is not the worst game I've ever played, and it's not the best either.
    Thief was nothing what most people expected. Same here for me. Thief you play as Garret a master thief. Well he's a good thief that doesn't play exactly the way it should. The city is squishy, it's annoying to get around with little to do, other than the boring side missions that you're given. The weapons category is lowered to only 3-4 useable items throughout the whole game. Bow, and uhm the black jack. Yay... Well. the storyline is really awkward and unexplainable. Basically you almost know what's going to happen, and your thievery is going to the repetitive box soon. A couple good things I noticed with Thief is the graphics! The city is dull, and boring, nothing new. There is no magical experience throughout the game.. I'd pass unless you're a hardcore Thief fan.
  39. Apr 11, 2014
    Niether boring nor very interesting, Thief's greatest stumbles are generated by the game getting in its own way. Square Enix seem to have a hard time delivering complete and functional experiences outside of their Final Fantasy franchise and Thief comes off as further evidence to support that notion. It's worth a play but I would suggest gamers wait for a sale or a used-game purchase opportunity. For those that use a rental service (GameFly, Redbox) are probably the ones getting the best deal since you may not find yourself coming back to replay Thief once you've completed the main quests. There are other things to do outside the primary plot, but only those gamers that have a stronger acceptance of this game than the norm will care to venture outside frequently enough to merit higher time investments with this just-OK game. Expand
  40. Mar 5, 2014
    Overall I really love this game, it does have a few minor flaws but nothing to speak of really. The one thing it does do very well is truly make you feel like a master thief skulking about a dark and foreboding Victorian style city. The graphics are gorgeous allowing for an exemption with the character models which isn't that big a deal since you really only see them in the cut scenes. The city is large with lots of secrets to explore and goodies to find so in that respect there is a decent amount of replay value. Attempting the missions in different play styles will also keep yo coming back for me, it can be quite challenging to make it through an entire level without being detected at all. There is also a nice set of upgrades for both your equipment as well as your skills which allow you to unlock different paths and methods of play. The story is nothing spectacular but when the gameplay and atmosphere is this good I'm willing to let that slide, most game stories aren't that great anyhow. Elements from both Human revolution and dishonored are prevalent throughout the game which is a good thing if you ask me. For a newer next gen title this game truly does shine and if you enjoyed either of the titles I mentioned previously you owe it to yourself to give this game a shot. My only real complaint is the sound when it comes to character (NPC) voices..they can be extremely loud at times and not really seem to come from any direction, which again is really nothing when there is so much goodness to be found in every other aspect of the game. Overall, I highly recommend this one as it is great fun and does a wonderful job of immersing you into it's world, check it out!! Expand
  41. Jun 29, 2014
    Some genius ideas and a nice philosophy behind the game, but they **** it up after chapter 3 ... because it is just no fun to **** search every **** corner of a **** Castle for something to steal ... now thats whats going down the rest of the game :(
  42. May 10, 2014
    This is a mediocre stealth game and one that forces certain actions that are - well - awkward.. Its got some design issues and the AI is buggy as hell in places but it has generally been resolved post launch. The voice acting is acceptable, the writing is decent but when compared to something such as Splinter Cell, Metal Gear or Dishonored it pales quite a bit.

While its not a fluid or
    as intricate as thief games of old, it is still a solid game but the replay value is low for me. The visuals are great and the challenge is there although the difficulty is uneven between chapters with some being overly easy and others suddenly crushingly difficult at moments - and that is true even within chapters.

Although it is possible to play three different ways - Ghost (completely unseen), Opportunist (use of environment to make your way through) and Assualt? (can't recall the style for beating down everyone in the game with your weapons) - there is not enough interest to make me want to try a level a different way.

Graphics - 8.0
    Voice acting - 6.0
    Technology - 6.0
    Writing - 7.0
    Game play - 7.0
    Immersion - 7.0

Overall score: 7
  43. Apr 1, 2014
    Originally I though the game was a 9 but it's more of a 5. It works well but it's missing a massive amount of content. For paying $59.00 you should have received a free season pass. Seriously Eidos! It reminded me a lot of Ryse without the graphics and daylight of course.

The map is small. The entire map could have been one large area. Why they needed load screens I've no idea.
    The Unreal engine may have had a part to play. There are techniques to deal with huge maps. Perhaps it's all the non-interactive items in the environment. (Wagons, crates, oh my) Windows needing button clicks made no sense when the wood piles just allowed you to move on through.... and wait for it... Gave you a load screen!

Playing Assassin's Creed Black Flag you realize how much more could have been done here. It's necessary to compare that game because you can do everything in Black Flag that you can do in Thief. I can climb any wall without a plot device. I can climb any obstacle for that matter. Focus is the same thing as Eagle Vision.

I didn't mind the story at all. I did mind how linear the game ended up being. Thief suffers from a lack of creativity. It's an on rails shooter. Point A to Point D where B and C are your options. Actually beating the game makes it into a better game. The world opens up. But at that point I felt no benefit to re-exploring the world. I'm sure there will be speed runs recorded and glitches found to get past the loading screens.

Pedestrians are robotic which is nothing new to video games. No real interaction is possible with them other than the obvious. Guards and their fanny packs of fun, pet birds, and dogs just cry out unfinished! The voices are too loud. So I'm over hearing a conversation down the street which sounds like it's 3 feet away.

Micro Transactions are offensive! You don't need them. Eidos had time to include Micro Transactions but not fully fill out the game?

Finally synopsis, I beat it and I traded it. I was fortunate that I had Best Buy's Gamer's Club Unlocked. Paid $47 and got around $43 back.
  44. Mar 28, 2014
    Eidos most lowed-down quality, over the level map design & disappointed voice actor. However, the gameplay is still briliant than the previous installment.
  45. Apr 11, 2014
    Thief Story The Story is the same as the Thief game itself, its all the Thief games, remade into one big game, except with some missions being changed (Moira Asylum), it has a entertaining story, loads of stealth, hidden paths, though it has some disappointment with the design, it could have been more better Story = 9/10 Great Story, just some design problems Extras The game is possibly the most buggiest game I've played, it has lots of issues, (game freezing, need to restart game), and it disappoints me because i have had to restart 3 times now, though apart from that, there are some side-mission which are very entertaining, and a ok challenge mode, which i wish was more of.
    Extras = 5/10, Nice Side-Missions and a ok Challenge Mode, but a very broken game

Overall = 7/10, it maybe a remake, but overall it just feels like it missed what it was at times
  46. Mar 4, 2014
    Thief has been around a long time. The first game came out in 1998 and it is an iconic game in the industry and inspired lots of other stealth games. Each new game in the franchise has had heavy expectations placed on it. Most Thief games since then have had a somewhat mixed reception. There are those who expect each new game to be exactly like the original. And there are others who want Thief to be more of an action game. Then there are those that have always understood what Thief is about and enjoy it for what it is: a damn good pure stealth series.

The new Thief is no exception. Nothing has given me the sense of skulking about in the shadows and having to use stealth in order to survive better than Thief has. This isn't an action/stealth hybrid like Dishonored or Splinter Cell that you can go in guns blazing and cut down half a dozen guards in a short amount of time. In Thief you have to remain undetected or face the consequences.

At first I was disappointed by the fact you can't use the rope arrow on any wood surface as before and can only attach to specially highlighted beams. But the game makes up for it in other ways. The new swoop ability is pure awesomeness. It gives a fluidity and speed to the game while still feeling stealthy and appropriate.

The graphics are quite good, with some of the best lighting and shadows I have ever seen in a game. The world itself is quite dreary and that may turn off some people, but it has character and a strange charm of its own. I LOVE the atmosphere in this game.

I have come to love the sound design in this game. Playing with headphones you realize all of the amazing little touches and how accurate the positional sound is. As far as the voice acting is concerned, it is very good in the case of Garrett and fairly good in the case of most of the other characters. Garrett is such an intriguing character.

Those giving this game 0/10 and scores like that are complete douchebags and honestly have no business reviewing games. They are hatemongers who simply love bashing and tearing things down. Unfortunately, this sort of behavior is all too common in our society. I have NEVER given a game a score that low, because the truth is, no game has ever deserved such a score. Such scores indicate a game that is completely broken and without redeeming qualities. Thief may not be everybody's cup of tea, but it plays well, looks great and offers a lot of fun for those that enjoy these kind of stealth games. I would personally give the game an 8.9.

All in all I think Thief carries the stealth torch admirably. It's one of the best pure stealth games in years. I've enjoyed it a lot and if you like stealth I believe it is likely that you will too.
  47. Mar 15, 2014
    Garret the master thief? More like Garret the petty Thief. In this remake you spend a large share of your time stealing small ticket items such as: forks, cups and mirrors worth 5 gold tops. Thief didn't stop there with disappointments. The maps are small and unimaginative and load outs occur between isolated districts. The controls seem sluggish and combat is a pain. This is overall a very well done rip off of the horrible game dishonoured. This game tanks in all areas, and should not be purchase for any more than 15 dollars. Expand
  48. Mar 2, 2014
    I'd compare it to "Sherlock Holmes Versus Jack the Ripper" and its sequels. If you find playing a game with average Xbox 360 graphics on your One is a deal breaker, either make sure you get it really cheap or don't bother. I find the game a relaxing 'challenge', I don't think there's a lot here to make you bother with the harder gameplay modes. All the sequences are scripted, so very little will change on subsequent play throughs. Regardless of it's failings, it's a game to add to a small library I've pretty much completed on XBO, and it's undeniably fun. Look for it in bargain bins in 12 months. Expand
  49. Jun 5, 2014
    This was an amazing game with only polish, or a lack thereof which hurt it... More than once I had a save point which lead to permadeath. It was fine before entering the cupboard, but after doing so, the guards new I was there, from another room entirely. The voice over was weak, and repetitive. Some voice over actors where so bad it totally removed you from the experience. The story was good, but a little over the top. The gameplay was exactly what I wanted, and kept me at it from start to finish. A great game, but could have done with another couple months in development, it really was just too early and too buggy. Expand
  50. May 7, 2014
    I've spent about 48 hours on this game, and I should say that I'm *very* glad I didn't buy it (a friend of mine was very kind to allow me to play his copy).
    While it sounds ridiculous, but in Thief 2014, you *don't* even need to steal, at all... The game will anyway reward you at the end of each mission, so why bother? Nice, isn't it?
    The setting. Remember the old three Thief games? Ok,
    now forget them! Since Thief 2014 is a reboot, you will encounter *nothing* from the old ones. I mean Eidos Montreal has *totally* destroyed and erased everything that made Thief series so unique: Keepers, Pagans, Hammerites, Mechanists, Kurshoks, burricks, and hell - even zombies! Everything!
    The plot. Definitely the worst I ever met in video games. Just abominable! You still have some doubts? Ok then. Just try to watch the *bossfight* with Thief Taker General on YouTube and see for yourself. Yeah, *bossfights* in a *stealth* game.
    The audio. It's just disgusting. All NPCs have just two phrases, and several NPCs have even just *one* phrase. And you know what? These NPCs will repeat their "repertoire" till the kingdom come, with just *one* second interval. Sound propagation works so erroneously, so it was a real pain for me to understand where the sound came from.
    The protagonist. His new voice, by Romano Orzari, sounds so dull and boring! Instead, the old Garrett's voice, by Stephen Russell, was just brilliant! So if you still love Stephen Russell's voice as Garrett in Thief 1&2&3, you will absolutely be disappointed by Romano Orzari's voice in Thief 2014.

Bottom line: it's a tasteless hack, so make yourself a favour and save your money for something really useful.
  51. Jul 22, 2014
    This game is loads of fun, the item collecting is addictive. The atmosphere and A.I. are astounding, don't be fooled by bad reviews, this game is great.
  52. Mar 11, 2014
    So glad I rented this game. I would have been mad at myself for buying this. 1st off, graphics are last gen at best. This game runs like crap. And not to mention its so slow paced and boring the story just slowly chugs along. I blame this on the devs. Don't waste your time on this entry.
  53. Apr 9, 2014
    Thief is a lot like Splinter Cell in the Medieval times. The graphics need a lot more polish, but they give the game an interesting look. What really impressed me about Thief is the amount of variables that you have that allow you to use your weaponry and gadgets. Something I found cool about Thief is that the game gives you extra incentives if you can go through the entire story without killing anything (or very few enemies), which I found challenging and fun. Thief is flawed, but I had a lot of fun with it. Expand
  54. Apr 13, 2014
    Overall I enjoyed Theif, it had good gameplay and it was a break from shooters. The controls took some getting used to, but the combat is unforgivingly bad, yeah it's a stealth game but it's to easy to take down enemies and it fells klunky.

The whole aim of the game is trying to find your friend/ student (I don't really know) called Erin, but she was a really unlikeable character, I
    would rather have not bothered finding her. The game driven me to do something I didn't want to do.

The side missions offer more content and are fun but the whole world is broken down by loading times, which ruined it.
  55. May 28, 2014
    I expected much more. After they did Tomb Raider. There was a point in game but still i found it to boring. Mechanics were not that good. to much Stealth for me. Story line was not bad at all. I think i depends on what games you enjoy if you dont like easy games without action then Thief is not for you.
  56. May 29, 2014
    Aside from what the average sentiments about this game are (fairly negative), I truly enjoyed this game! First of all, the world it puts you in is extremely immersive, from top notch and beautifully rendered graphics, to classic "Thief" elements like gothic and forbearing allies and chapels. The mechanics of the game where solid for the most past, but any mishaps (mainly audio) were easily forgivable. The combat and stealth system was dynamic and challenging, making you actually "think", something most games today unfortunately do not. Ultimately, this is an immersive game that makes you feel like an authentic thief in a steampunk/gothic civilization. Highly recommended! Expand
  57. Jul 1, 2014
    to fans of the past game, this game is a pile of failed snot. to me, it was an enjoyable game that i wish to explain
    the good: the stealth is sweet as with the rest of the gameplay
    the bad: the story is terrible, incredibly glitchy at times.

i just liked the stealth so much i ignored some of these problems
  58. Jul 13, 2014
    I'm a thief fan since it started back in 90's. I've enjoyed every aspect of the game, you can play in any way - as stealthy thief master or super hero (choosing easy difficulty). For those who think it's not as deep and complex as predessors I advise to play on max difficulty setting, and I'm sure then you'll change your mind. It's nothing to complain about at all, if you prefer multiplayer action game then you won't love it for sure. Beautiful graphics, very dark and desperate atmosphere, strong gameplay, perfect art and gamedesign. Overall Thief is one of the best games ever created, very good "re-arrenge" of well known series which fits to veterans and newcomers. Everything is changing, so do we and games. Expand

1. Mar 20, 2014
    Thief stumbles in some areas, but purely as a stealth game it does have some shining moments.
  2. Mar 10, 2014
    Satisfying gameplay mechanics and excellent environments and sound design meet an unsound technical production, irritating and overly repetitive character dialogues and a lacklustre enemy AI. Stealth games lovers will still find good elements in the new Thief, but it isn't the triumphant return we'd hoped it would be.
  3. Feb 27, 2014
    And therein lies the game’s real issue. Whereas Dishonored (which does feel like Thief’s more charismatic and popular older brother) and Mark of the Ninja have toyed with established hide-and-seek mechanics and shown that there are still ideas to mine in this genre, Thief just sticks to the shadows.