Alien: Isolation Xbox One

7.9

1. Oct 7, 2014
    Alien isolation is definitely a game worth playing. If you are simply looking for a game that will scare you and make you wonder if death is waiting for you just around the corner, then give this game a shot. Now, if you're a alien fan then here is where the game truly shines as a fan service. It truly feels as though you are playing the original film, the environments, sound effects, evenAlien isolation is definitely a game worth playing. If you are simply looking for a game that will scare you and make you wonder if death is waiting for you just around the corner, then give this game a shot. Now, if you're a alien fan then here is where the game truly shines as a fan service. It truly feels as though you are playing the original film, the environments, sound effects, even the original cast from the film are all in this. This is definitely a step in the right direction for the alien games. Brutal deaths, a sense of always being hunted, engrossing gameplay that sucks you right in and one hell of a scary game, I recommend getting this and playing with the lights off and with a good set of headphones. Expand
  2. Oct 12, 2014
    Since my first Aliens game on the ZX spectrum (check out the LV427 remake - the sidescroller on youtube) I have rarely felt the tension required to label the Aliens gaming franchise as 'Horror'. I enjoyed the original AVP and most of the games have given me the imagery of Aliens/Alien3 mixed with some form of action shooter. Flamethrowers and pulse rifles have been the weapon of choice andSince my first Aliens game on the ZX spectrum (check out the LV427 remake - the sidescroller on youtube) I have rarely felt the tension required to label the Aliens gaming franchise as 'Horror'. I enjoyed the original AVP and most of the games have given me the imagery of Aliens/Alien3 mixed with some form of action shooter. Flamethrowers and pulse rifles have been the weapon of choice and as long as you have a keen sense of reflex you will find most Alien games a reasonable experience.

Here we go back... way back to the start to a time when only one Alien was enough to make your blood run cold...

It's one of the most atmospheric games I have ever played. The atmosphere of the original Alien has been well recreated here and it even draws from other contemporary sci fi flicks for inspiration giving a really old school horror feel. The low fi cutscenes/loading scenes shot like an old CRT along with the basic green screen interfaces and all the lit buttons are a real throw back to a more tactile and mechanical age of sci fi imagery.

Audio-wise Alien Isolation is top notch. It has to be. Alien/Aliens is not just synonymous with its great style of HR Geiger's organic vs mechanic visuals, but it has so many sounds that you could name completely out of context on just one listen. For example if I asked you to do an impression of a pulse rifle you could just reel it off and if some one had the motion tracker sound on their phone as a ring tone you would instantly know what it was. This is present and well explored. It feels organic and cinematic, well intone with the original score and sound. Musically it has smooth eerie tones built on by dynamic tension and high action strikes in all the right places. The voice acting is good and kept to a tone of relative quiet and calm as to give the panic sections a real contrast.

Gameplay wise, the mechanics are smooth and with just enough frustration to give the adrenaline edge. No horror should have an all too easy control system. The fact that you have to think about the controls in a time of panic gives the feel that you can't just evade danger with a simple click of the button, you have to balance fear and mechanics in order to survive. Think of those scenes where someone in a panic is fumbling through their keys to find the right one and then drops them on the floor to raise the tension. It's not easy and if you're invested in the game and its atmosphere you will feel panicked on many occasion.

Graphically the game is excellent. There are times of really convincing imagery and high detail. The lighting is excellent and subdued and wisps of steam and vented fumes provide a softer ethereal texture to the detailed mechanical environments. You can go around the corner fem a harsh med bay environment into a dark hallway with under lit steaming vents which give a living breathing feel to the space station. The only slight let down is the human animation. This sometimes 'breaks the veil' and taking you out of the game. Heads move with static eyes and mouth animations run with little representation of what is being said scuffing the polish on a well toned and immersive experience. Its a small niggle but it does somewhat dull the human interaction scenes and breaks the atmosphere.

A little more imagination to the levels would also have been nice. Go here press button and fetch/find are a little old school and whilst fine in restricted use can get tiresome over the full length of the game. There are also times when the game felled very much in tandem with the quieter scenes of Doom 3. Instead of PDAs, exposition is given using computer terminals and for some random reason tape recorders?! Whilst I am fine with the notion of future generations unsung 80's style boom boxes as radios on a space station - not even people in the 80's kept a James T Kirk Style audio log on cassette next to them at all times just to hear back their own thoughts.

Nonetheless, those who complain Alien Isolation is not the Alien game they are waiting for are obviously looking for the more action 'Aliens' style run and gun affair that we have seen many times rather than the classy and well researched survival horror that has been produced. IGN I'm looking at you!!!
  3. Oct 7, 2014
    Alien Isolation is probably one of the best Alien games I've played the setting is Sevastopol Station and Creative Assembly did an excellent job on the setting as the in game technology is instantaneously recognizable as something from the first film. They also did an amazing job on the Alien in making it frightening again I mean there was always a risk that the overexposure of the AlienAlien Isolation is probably one of the best Alien games I've played the setting is Sevastopol Station and Creative Assembly did an excellent job on the setting as the in game technology is instantaneously recognizable as something from the first film. They also did an amazing job on the Alien in making it frightening again I mean there was always a risk that the overexposure of the Alien in films,comics and books could work against this game but it didn't.

I found being hunted by the Alien in this game to be really frightening and whenever I died the creature never did the same thing twice it changed where it walked and searched so I had to adapt to that every time. Now this game there are no checkpoints only save stations which are spaced a far apart so there is a sense of relief when you find one.
  4. Oct 11, 2014
    I'm really enjoying this game, I love the first two Alien films so I think that helps the setting is immediately familiar but also varied and interesting enough to make you want to explore it. This is the first game in years that has actually made me frightened and it's probably the first good Alien game ever.
  5. Oct 13, 2014
    This game is a (terrifying) love letter to any person who prefers the original Alien movie to its also fantastic sequel. Even players who don't usually like horror games will feel compelled to go on and explore the picture-perfect recreation of the dark, low-high-tech sci-fi vision of the 1979's movie, filled with CRT screens, mechanical computers and steam vents.

This is not a shooter,

This is not a shooter, so be prepared to hide, crouch through vents, and peer in horror at your motion detector as the beeping green blip comes closer and closer to you while you try to hold your breath and not make a noise.

The game is difficult, occasionally unfair, and has a checkpoint save system that reminds me of Dark Souls' bonfires. It all works great to build an incredible level of tension and fear, but it will also be frustrating to players who don't want to try something different to modern straightforward shooters with quicksave systems.

Technically, the game is a wonder. Graphics are the best I've ever seen, and sound is even better. Every mechanical noise will bring you back to the original movie, and the music feels dynamic and oppressive, including some cues from the original movie soundtrack. The surround audio is also brilliant, and it's just as useful as your motion detector when trying to guess where the creature is.

I can't recommend this game highly enough for fans of the first Alien movie, OR fans of horror games. For everyone else, it will probably not be their cup of tea.
  6. Oct 13, 2014
    I was very surprised how this game got made in today's day and age of hand holding and overly simplified gameplay, but I am sure glad it did.

Gameplay What you have here is a scary as hell survival game heavily influenced by the original Alien movie. It is very slow paced and rewards you for playing stealthily, although I wish the Alien would leave you alone sometimes if you were

Gameplay

What you have here is a scary as hell survival game heavily influenced by the original Alien movie. It is very slow paced and rewards you for playing stealthily, although I wish the Alien would leave you alone sometimes if you were playing the game well enough to convince it that you aren't even there.

I love the feel of the game in that it takes me back to the style of Super Metroid or even the newer Shadow Complex games in that you start off very weak and work your way up by finding new tools and being able to access areas that you previously couldn't by using them.

It is quite possibly the best Alien game that has been made so far and even though it has it's flaws, such as a not so great and somewhat android/human combat heavy 2nd third of the game which I can't really talk about without spoiling the story, and a somewhat disappointing ending, it's the first step towards more great Alien games. (Hopefully).

The Graphics and Atmosphere

One thing that I can't get over is that it's by all means not the greatest looking game out there, but the attention to detail, the lighting and the atmosphere is masterfully executed and feels so true to the first Alien movie.

For the first section of the game I was so terrified just by the atmosphere that I was struggling to play through the game at an average pace and this was before the game even became dangerous. Once the alien came in (which is stunningly detailed and looks incredible) I was often too terrified to even move.

Unfortunately the game does have some technical hiccups though, and this is mainly in regards to framerate. The game does a decent job of feeling smooth most of the time but sometimes during cutscenes and when you cause fire or explosions, it does cause the game to drop a little, but not enough to break immersion. I think the game could have used a little more optimization and dropped the Kinect features which just make the game even harder to play in favor of making the game run smoother and a little antialiasing couldn't have hurt either.

Final Thoughts

As I said before, I see this as a great first step into the future of Alien games, which hopefully remain scary but at least let you defend yourself against Aliens (by that I mean being able to kill them with enough effort) but this is a very good game in it's own right. I highly recommend this to anyone who loves the Alien franchise and wants to play a game that is clearly made by people who also love it too.

I am giving this game an 8 out of 10.
  7. Oct 9, 2014
    Critics or gamers who try to down play what these developers have done are clueless. This is one of the bravest and boldest games to come out that I can ever remember. Not perfect. But incredibly entertaining and unquestionably faithful to the source material. Unscripted events abound in this game. Whether it's the alien hunting you, or you battling it out with other survivors or the alienCritics or gamers who try to down play what these developers have done are clueless. This is one of the bravest and boldest games to come out that I can ever remember. Not perfect. But incredibly entertaining and unquestionably faithful to the source material. Unscripted events abound in this game. Whether it's the alien hunting you, or you battling it out with other survivors or the alien turning those same survivors into kibble thanks to a confrontation you engineered.....it's simply amazing. And scary. Holy hell is it scary.
    People who claim its too frustrating or that they died too many times....this isn't the genre for you. And you're not playing properly. Sorry. You're not. I've died. But never to the point that it's frustrating. Careful, considered gameplay pays off.
    People who whinge that you can't fight back.....sorry, you're wrong too. Unless shooting, braining, or burning androids and human adversaries doesn't count. It's simply that you need to consider whether the risk is worth that approach. And understanding that Amanda Ripley is not "Master Chief."
    The AI does not cheat. The AI simply doesn't follow set routines. If you make noise, odds are it will investigate. If there's no reason to think you couldn't have left a corner of the map, that SOB will look for you with will and a purpose. You just need to figure a way out.
    The length is fine. Could it have been trimmed a little? Sure. But it's never tedious. And frankly, I enjoyed every minute...every image..every sound. It's like you're in the flipping Alien universe. All that's missing are the smells.
    Replayability? Yep. Survivor mode is awesome for a quick fix. They'll be adding to it as part of the season pass (yes, season passes are separate discussion but I think this one will be worth it). And even with the campaign, understand that outside of a few set events the alien will never be in the same place, never act exactly the same way every time you play. Items are in different locations. There are not guarantees. Hell, I'll play again to see just how far I can get without dying.
    If you're a fan of the franchise or horror games, period, you need to pick this up.
  8. Oct 9, 2014
    alien isolation is the alien game we've been wanting for a long time. proving that a survival horror game game can be made in the alien genre. but the game is challenging espesouly the survivle game mode. BUT that's the way it should be and it is a MUST BUY
  9. Oct 26, 2014
    Simply one of the best port of the acclaimed film opera, on a videogames.This is a tribute, great game, one of the best of 2014!Simply one of the best port of the acclaimed film opera, on a videogames.This is a tribute, great game, one of the best of 2014!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  10. Oct 12, 2014
    I have been waiting for a game such as Alien: Isolation for quite a while now. With the releases of Aliens vs. Predator in 2010, and Aliens: Colonial Marines, Isolation had a lot to make up for, and it certainly does that.

The game is based fifteen years after the events of 'Alien' and forty-two years prior to the sequel 'Aliens'. You are in control of Amanda Ripley, the daughter of Ellen Ripley (played by Sigourney Weaver, in the Alien films), was told by a Weyland-Yutani executive that the flight recorder of her mothers ship 'NOSTROMO' has been found on the 'SEVASTAPOL', a free port space station owned by the Seegson Corporation, in orbit around the gas giant KG-348.

As the story unfolds you eventually find out that nothing is what it seems and you are being stalked by a homicidal extra-terrestrial that is impervious to all manner of weapons (except fire).
    The Alien is persistent and unforgiving in its pursuit of you. Its senses of sight and hearing are perfect for what it does best, which is to find you and kill you. The AI for the Alien is advanced, it isn't scripted so it will be very unpredictable, which makes it in turn, an extremely tense and stressful game to play.
    There are other enemies in the game, which is a great addition, as these enemies give lots of variety as well as giving you a breather from the Alien, if it isn't scripted to be in your area.
    The game is quite long in length, and is filled with Alien nostalgia for the fans, I thoroughly enjoyed the game from start to finish. But this isn't everyone's game, however.
    It's not filled with action, as most games of today are. I can understand it will get frustrating and repetitive after a while, so some people may not like it, and it's definitely not easy, even on easy.

The games atmosphere and sound are absolutely extraordinary. The game is heavily based on the first Alien film, so it is recommended if you haven't seen the movie, to go and check it out before you play this. From the shadows to the flashing lights, to the sounds of doors opening and the alarms in the game, all seem to take you from playing the game on your sofa, to putting you in the shoes of Amanda Ripley against her struggle for survival.
    The music in the game is 10/10. It was composed perfectly. It borrows a lot from the movie, but it also changes it somewhat, making it somewhat eerier that the motion picture. An example would be, when the Alien is near, the music will definitely get louder and more tense, which will let you know as a player, to find a locker and hide!

The graphics for the Xbox One version of the game are great! The only issue I have with this game is that I have a few frames per second problems in some areas of the game when there is a lot happening, but not a big deal.

The ability to craft items to distract your foe is essential to your survival on the higher difficulties. But don't use these items all the time, as the Alien will adapt to your methods of distraction and ignore them, probably searching for where it was thrown, rather than where it landed.

If you have little knowledge of the Alien franchise for a whole, I would say rent the game. But for true fans of the franchise, this game will keep you engaged from start to finish.

11. Dec 8, 2014
    I am a massive Alien fan and have seen the first one 1000 times. It's a masterpiece. As for this game, I feel they nailed the atmosphere but that has been widely published so not news to anyone. The music and level design are fantastic to say the least.

Be warned though, this is a frustrating, stressful, and at times terrifying video game. It had a profound effect on me and added more stress to my already stressful adult life. I kid you not, it messed with my head. It is also heavily dependent on trial and error along with extensive exploration of the environment. I was one of those expecting more action/shooting I fully admit it.

This is all well documented at this point but I just want to share my experience. I've been playing console games since the late 80's and never played a game like this. Just know what you are buying when you purchase it and approach it with more patience than I did. I made it through about 3 hours of the game and I'm going to trade it in for GTA V just b/c I am waving the white flag. I can't take the stress and that's just the long and short of it.

I give the game a 7 because I truly appreciate the artistic accomplishment that it is. It is definitely so very well crafted and that has to be recognized. However, it scared and stressed the sh*t out of me from minute 1.
  12. Oct 11, 2014
    No game deserves 10 rating! There are no perfect games!! Anyways... This game is fun and kinda creepy. It will entertain you for awhile. I recommend this game.
  13. Oct 10, 2014
    Best Alien game EVER! The level of detail is amazing! Everything resembles the atmosphere from Ridley Scott´s ALIEN. Gameplay is challenging, this is not a shooter this is a true survival horror game, its kind of mix between the originals Dead Space and Resident Evil games. Can´t wait for this studio to produce a game based on James Cameron´s Aliens.
  14. Dec 29, 2015
    +Genuinely tense and terrifying moments, as in very few games have I felt as much relief upon seeing a savepoint
    +Great atmosphere, setting, graphics that are aithful to the Alien universe. Story is good enough
    +The Alien itself is a truly frightening enemy (A.I is unpredictable and intelligent), making for truly tense moments, and forcing you to use all your wits and the various ways to deal with it: hiding, using distractions, alternative routes, or flamethrower/molotov cocktail.
    -Characters are not that well-developped
    -Game objectives often rely on the same things (go here and pull this lever, go reactivate electricity). After the 14th time you forget exactly why you are doing it.
    -Certain parts can be insanely difficult and frustrating. Also, at times, savepoints can seem a bit sparse.

Overall a great game. Not much replay value, but if you play at high difficulty levels the game will already last you over well 15+ hours. If you are just mildly interested in survival horror games or the Alien mythos, this game is to be added in your game collection.
  15. Nov 26, 2015
    Great atmos, graphics and stealth game play let down by the fact it is trial and error yet no checkpoints! You have to keep repeating the same thing over and over inc cut scenes which you cannot skip, why? Oh look I died now repeat the last five minutes of game play, unlucky enough to die again, yep repeat the same thing again... Given the levels and key fetch game play repeat after aGreat atmos, graphics and stealth game play let down by the fact it is trial and error yet no checkpoints! You have to keep repeating the same thing over and over inc cut scenes which you cannot skip, why? Oh look I died now repeat the last five minutes of game play, unlucky enough to die again, yep repeat the same thing again... Given the levels and key fetch game play repeat after a while anyway it just becomes a chore. Expand
  16. Oct 10, 2014
    I'll start by saying that I am a complete fan boy of the Alien franchise and purist when it comes to the original design. That being said; I love this game. I had fun playing A:CM just because of the constant relations to my favourite films but this goes way beyond that.
    The reason I found it important to explain my love for the Alien films is because I can see why other people that aren't too fussed by it could become bored with the slow-paced, difficult nature of this game. For me, it's everything I'd want from and Alien game. Granted, we don't have everything we'd want from an Aliens game, but as the law of chronology goes, I've got everything crossed that dream will become reality at some point in the future.
    If you like Alien, if you like stealth games, if you enjoy constantly hiding behind your controller... this game is top drawer. If you're looking for an action packed FPS, put your copy of CoD back in the tray and play to your heart's content.
  17. Dec 23, 2014
    Ever feel like a mouse dropped into a cage with snakes? You will when you play this game.

Im disappointed with some of the bad reviews this game has got. The game has like 5 difficulties. If find it to be to challenging or frustrating you can always make it easier. I'm playing on Normal difficulty and I havent had too many problems. Sometimes you open a door and the alien is right

I'm playing on Normal difficulty and I havent had too many problems. Sometimes you open a door and the alien is right there and there is nothing you can do, but thats what your agreeing to when you get this game. The alien has a mind of its own and will be wherever he wants to be.

I also don't spend all day on this game, I just get to a couple of save telephones and then play somthing else. The game may be too long, Im not sure yet, but I would much rather play a horrific immersive 18 hour campaign then some boring 5 hour Shooter of Dutyfield 17 3/4s. Those games seem to automatically get 9/10 every single year I don't think the reviewers even play them anymore they just cut and paste from last years review.

The graphics are really nice, and I love the retro futurism you're in a super advanced spaceship with green and black CRT monitors.
  18. Nov 8, 2014
    I'll keep this brief, its a great game badly executed. Way too hard, enemies are psychic, they take WAY too many hits to kill (especially when you are able to sneak up on them, a feat in itself) although I thought that I could explore before progressing the story, I went somewhere and explored only to turn around to a dozen human enemies that had appeared behind me!
    Its otherwise
    Its otherwise enjoyable for me in terms of atmosphere and story, but the overall game and gameplay is a little lacking for my liking.
  19. Oct 17, 2014
    Alien: Isolation captures the imagination of the previous film effortlessly to re-insure us, that this is one of the best games of 2014. Or dare I say the best survival horror game period. This genre has seen a lift after the success of Outlast. The games atmosphere is on point! this is the best alien game to date! The amazing dialogue and voice acting is one of the best iv seen in aAlien: Isolation captures the imagination of the previous film effortlessly to re-insure us, that this is one of the best games of 2014. Or dare I say the best survival horror game period. This genre has seen a lift after the success of Outlast. The games atmosphere is on point! this is the best alien game to date! The amazing dialogue and voice acting is one of the best iv seen in a while. Not to forget the palm sweating game play and lengthy satisfying story. By the near 20 hour campaign you will feel mentally tired and just want off the ship! This forms a great connection between the character and player, as they both have something in common. This is the most fun iv had with a game this year. Can I put my name down for a sequel? Expand
  20. Nov 2, 2014
    I'm halfway through this right now and so far having a blast. It's a very unique game and a great experience. If you are a fan of horror, sci fi or stealth games you should go out and buy this now.
  21. Oct 8, 2014
    This game is THE best aliens game of all time, but nothing is compared to the original movie! The gameplay is phenomenal, but the FPS moments are average, the gunplay isn't that good but that isn't the point of this game is it? The soundtrack is awesome the graphics are better than ryse:son of Rome and that's saying something! Everything the game does is great except the gunplay and SOMEThis game is THE best aliens game of all time, but nothing is compared to the original movie! The gameplay is phenomenal, but the FPS moments are average, the gunplay isn't that good but that isn't the point of this game is it? The soundtrack is awesome the graphics are better than ryse:son of Rome and that's saying something! Everything the game does is great except the gunplay and SOME of the fight moments with the androids. Don't listen to the people giving it 5's. It is a great game but in my opinion if you can only get one game this month get shadow of mordor, this is great but more or is better! Expand
  22. Oct 10, 2014
    Alien Isolation. This is a game that has kept its promises and delved deeply into the survival horror genre without trying to be anything ex ept that which it claims to be. I read reviews before trying the game and i am very disapointed with the scores by certain leading web review sites "shame on you" .

Graphics (9/10) Alien.I is a masterpiece graphiclly everything from the late

Graphics (9/10) Alien.I is a masterpiece graphiclly everything from the late 70,s sci fi style to the texture qauility is amazing its so much like the 1979 movie alien its shocking the fx from blurring vision to being able to focus on your tracker and your forward vision separately is superbly done in fact the whole game seems like a labor of love and you can see the developers really cared for this project .

Game play 8/10 : Alien iso is a game wracked with fear , its not a shooter yet its not a stealth game as such its been a long time since ive felt fear of every vent , corner, and door the last time was system shock 2 , i will say that if your after aliens style shooter game play is what you want then forget it but if you want to wear the shoes of ripley as she ran around the nostromo then this is for you. the game world is almost metroid style as you can visit previously explored areas to find loot that you could not access on your first visit, the alien is random yet intelligent and the pace of the game although slow and difficult is immensly satisfying like the title sugests alien iso is the game the developers said it would be .

sound 10/10 I cant really say anything exept that the sound design is immaculate and terryfing

Alien isolation is the perfect survivol horror and for those of you who like the genre at would be a travesty to miss higly recommended
  23. Oct 16, 2014
    After playing the game I enjoyed the chilling atmosphere and the feel as if I had just been put into an Alien film. A little disappointed at the start, it was slow paced and took quite a while to see the alien in regular doses. I ideally wanted a me vs the alien from the beginning. I think the AI on the working Joe's and crew needed improvement, as the lip syncing and movement was not whatAfter playing the game I enjoyed the chilling atmosphere and the feel as if I had just been put into an Alien film. A little disappointed at the start, it was slow paced and took quite a while to see the alien in regular doses. I ideally wanted a me vs the alien from the beginning. I think the AI on the working Joe's and crew needed improvement, as the lip syncing and movement was not what I expected for a next gen console game. All in all sadly it was not what I wanted from what I imagined it to be. I pick Outlast over this when it comes to survival horror. Expand
  24. Oct 7, 2014
    Astounding game - it's like living in the first Alien movie. The atmosphere is dense, the sound design, sfx and music is not only absolutely perfect for the environment and overall feel, it sits tightly with what we're used to from the movies. Graphics are overall pretty good on the XB1. Lovely grain and warming fx, mostly good textures and it's possible to investigate or read many ofAstounding game - it's like living in the first Alien movie. The atmosphere is dense, the sound design, sfx and music is not only absolutely perfect for the environment and overall feel, it sits tightly with what we're used to from the movies. Graphics are overall pretty good on the XB1. Lovely grain and warming fx, mostly good textures and it's possible to investigate or read many of little details on the Sevastopol to your hearts content. The alien AI works great and the danger of it lurking arund somewhere makes me feel like I'm 15 years old again, playing Resident Evil 1 for the first time. It's a scary game without being too relient on jump scares. It's what's possible, that's scary, not what is actually happening. Well, that too, actually. It's a fantastic game - not only because we finally got the Alien game we always wanted (and deserved), but also because the game itself is just so good. It combines joy and terror so magnificently. Well done, CA and Sega. A certain Randy Pitchford must be weeping into his moneybags right now. :-P Expand
  25. Oct 7, 2014
    The Good: Kinect will listen to you, and the noise in your room. If you're too loud the alien will hear you.
    The Bad: Graphics are on par for 360 or PS3, not so much for next gen. Also experienced some lag in the frame rate during cut scenes.

Big fan of the film here - and the detail put into the authenticity of this game taking place in the universe of Ridley Scott's ALIEN - it is remarkable. Because of that, the creepiness sets in very quickly for fans of the film - accompanied with a little nostalgia. I have played 2 hours of this game. It took roughly 10 minutes before things start to go horribly wrong for the player. I've not left the edge of my seat. Play this game on the hardest difficulty. Play this game in the dark. Set your audio options before you begin - makes quite the difference with the horror genre. This game is going to take a toll on your brain. Anxiety filled survival horror - with the disorienting and claustrophobic atmosphere of being stranded in outer space - outstanding.
  26. Oct 12, 2014
    Changing my 0 star review. After a complete download the game has run perfectly. While the opening few hours are literally like living an Alien movie the game does, as many reviewers note, begin to drag once the Alien emerges and starts to kill you pretty much non-stop. When the Alien can see you seemingly across the map if even a pixel of your ass is hanging out makes the game tense forChanging my 0 star review. After a complete download the game has run perfectly. While the opening few hours are literally like living an Alien movie the game does, as many reviewers note, begin to drag once the Alien emerges and starts to kill you pretty much non-stop. When the Alien can see you seemingly across the map if even a pixel of your ass is hanging out makes the game tense for the first few times you get killed but it quickly becomes fatiguing. LIkewise the first human encounter is an exercise in frustration with a predictable pattern to work around. Outside of these two early missteps I've found that knocking the difficulty down to easy makes the game still quite challenging and tense but not cheap. This *is* the Alien game I've been wanting and frankly it might be the best survival horror game ever made. I hope CA does very well with this, one can only imagine what they'd be able to do with a sequel. Literally the most immersive game and the best sound I've ever played. Hoping the next 10 hours don't start to drag, so far I'm finding the variety and story astounding... Expand
  27. Oct 7, 2014
    SO FAR, great atmospherics. This game is definitely worth a play if you have even a mild interest in Alien, although it does feel as though it's lacking something. As a horror-survival styled game, you would expect to be totally immersed in the environment, although it doesn't quite achieve the films standard of setting.. Whilst still managing to make me jump on a few occasions due to theSO FAR, great atmospherics. This game is definitely worth a play if you have even a mild interest in Alien, although it does feel as though it's lacking something. As a horror-survival styled game, you would expect to be totally immersed in the environment, although it doesn't quite achieve the films standard of setting.. Whilst still managing to make me jump on a few occasions due to the atmospheric features used.

This game feels somewhat reminiscent of Dead Space with the mechanics, and the rate at which excitement and developments happen is absolutely spot on. Also I have to say I am very impressed with the AI, seems so unpredictable, thus making it feel unique and realistic.

I would recommend this title, although if you're strapped for cash, Shadow of Mordor would be this months purchase.
  28. Oct 9, 2014
    This is one of those games when you first start playing it, you can't understand why people would give it such a low score, but then as you play more and more and become less and less satisfied, it all makes sense. The game's atmosphere is amazing and feels part of the Alien universe. The main problem with the game though is that the gameplay is just not fun. Also the game feels bloatedThis is one of those games when you first start playing it, you can't understand why people would give it such a low score, but then as you play more and more and become less and less satisfied, it all makes sense. The game's atmosphere is amazing and feels part of the Alien universe. The main problem with the game though is that the gameplay is just not fun. Also the game feels bloated and drags on forever making you do the same gameplay over and over which becomes a horrible chore. Expand
  29. Oct 15, 2014
    Easily the best Alien game ever created. Attention to detail, stealth gameplay, and A.I. is top notch in this game. You must buy this one. Creative Assembly and Sega created something special with Alien Isolation.
  30. Oct 13, 2014
    I'd like to say a 5 but just can't even though its a close 4 1/2.

The anxiety everyone keeps talking about does exist and there are moments of jumpiness but thats only in the beginning. By the time you finish getting the keycard for the medical supplies, anxiety of fear turns to anxiety of frustration. The alien magically appears where ever the player should feel stressed, meaning if
    I'd like to say a 5 but just can't even though its a close 4 1/2.

The alien magically appears where ever the player should feel stressed, meaning if you send him off one way chasing a noise device, enter a new hallway, he'll end up somewhere in your vicinity again and quickly. Basically, it's not logical and once you realize this the 'fear' becomes artificially conceived from the player. Look, I know it's a game but I like some reality in them, some logic.

Other than that, it gets higher marks for being different, for using aliens especially after the catastrophe with colonial marines and lower for not being so logical...hey, a few head shots from a pistol in the movies killed one why not here...OH that's right, the e game would be WAY over before even the halfway mark...yeah, that's why it gets a 4.

And lucky I didn't go to a 3 for the stupid lag on the xbox one, wtf guys? That plus they use a very small 'push button' area. If I'm walking by a map, pressing A will not grab it when it shows A at the bottom. Instead I have to, stop, walk forward, look down just right, hit A and hopefully not twice. This is literally amateur hour...come on, guys you're suppose to be professional game devs.
  31. Oct 8, 2014
    An ambitious but underwhelming piece of work. It sticks to the roots of Alien and at times this is absolute nostalgic genius. But once the atmosphere sinks in place you're left with a very average drawn out experience. .
  32. Oct 8, 2014
    As an Alien franchise fanboy since 1996 i still believe the game is all hiss and no bite. Put simply it looks and sounds phenomal. But it falls short of the mark by a mile. Why? The AI is rotton the humans,droids and the xeno. All fair and well when the developers insisted on dropping as much scripted AI as possible in favor of a learning adapting AI. Fair point and fantastic idea I sayAs an Alien franchise fanboy since 1996 i still believe the game is all hiss and no bite. Put simply it looks and sounds phenomal. But it falls short of the mark by a mile. Why? The AI is rotton the humans,droids and the xeno. All fair and well when the developers insisted on dropping as much scripted AI as possible in favor of a learning adapting AI. Fair point and fantastic idea I say but in theory its been the creator of its own demise. Ive been playing thru the game on hard and now at mission 5 I can say "why f'ing bother anymore". Im sick and tired of the flaws and inconsistencies based on the xeno AI alone. Honestly its a game, what were the developers trying to prove by developing the games AI in such a fashion? What... that they could create a slogfest of repitition, annoyance and utter frustration? Games are games, not real life. Present the user with a challenge, a story and some fun. Not loading a save game, walking 10ft, getting murdered and repeating 5..6..7..8..9..10 times over to the point of people saying "F this, Im away to play Destiny or Forza" or whatever. That aint the point of gaming, not in my eyes anyway. Also on a few occasions during gameplay the game has crashed, screen freezes up, sound and music goes spaz and all controls become zero responsive. Only by resetting the game from the xbox dashboard was I able to sort this problem. The game looks gorgeous tho and sounds totally fantastic without a shadow of a doubt. The lighting and texturing effects look simply amazing on next gen. The sound effects do the game a great deal of justice in terms of helping immerse the gamer in the ambiance of on-screen world down to the tiniest detail. To summerise... the game sounds and looks utterly astounding no arguement there, but the AI is brutal, some might say broken. The story is vague and uninspiring and the pace of the game is tediously slow and disjointed. As I said gaming since 1989, Alien fanboy since 1996 and I feel this is another wasted opportunity in the Alien Franchise. Perhaps 20th Century Fox should realise by now great movies dont always make great games and visa versa. Creative Assembly and Sega... just because you claim a learning and adaptive AI is more immersive it doesnt promise a more enjoyable or rationalised experience. Sometimes thats just showing off and nobody likes untried showoffs and formulas. Expand
  33. Nov 15, 2014
    What started out as tense and spooky quickly became a painful game of object/key-card hunting with no tension at all. Felt hyper linear and very scripted, all of which takes away from the terror completely. Looked pretty though. 2 stars.
  34. Oct 18, 2014
    Surprise of the year. Awesome game, lots of tension, great atmosphere, does everything better than Outlast.. It's lenghty, so enjoyable you'll want to replay, has Survivor mode for extra replayability too. Recommended, one of the best games of the year
  35. Oct 22, 2014
    Initially gave this a 7/10 but after getting to grips with it I give it a 8.5/10 - the game is gorgeous, it's scary (but frustrating at times) and the overall feel of the game is good apart from some odd frame rate issues, the story is below average IMO, it seems that they just didn't know what else to think up at the end. Overall - finally a good alien game :)
  36. Dec 6, 2014
    It`s one of the best experience you can have and play, You really need to play it. Its a great game. Graphics are extremely cool. Every fan of Aliens will really like it, Also prepare for horror simulation
  37. Dec 21, 2014
    Great idea and certainly a fresh take on horror games. Visually, aside from the lack of Anti-aliasing, the game looks very good. Unfortunately the game is plagued by a myriad of both bugs or and poorly implemented components. The biggest, most glaring flaw of the game is the up and down difficulty. I played on hard difficulty as it was self-described as "the way the game is meant to beGreat idea and certainly a fresh take on horror games. Visually, aside from the lack of Anti-aliasing, the game looks very good. Unfortunately the game is plagued by a myriad of both bugs or and poorly implemented components. The biggest, most glaring flaw of the game is the up and down difficulty. I played on hard difficulty as it was self-described as "the way the game is meant to be played".

Expect the alien to pop down directly in-front of you for no reason despite you being very quite. Expect the alien to randomly detect you even though you've been in the same circumstances ten times before just fine. When you do mange to hide from the alien, expect to wait 2-3 full minutes until he finally gets bored and goes away. Sometimes the alien just doesn't appear and you just walk through the game no problem. Expect to fumble with the **** radial weapon selection menu EVERY time you want to switch weapons (this gets you killed a lot btw). There are all these items in the game that you're supposed to use but you'll find that you have no opportunities to use them; you'll likely go through 90% of the game with all items fully maxed. The alien tracks you, by the way. That means, when he is out and about, sure you can walk past him, but he will assuredly swing around and follow you which basically forces you to wait in a corner or locker until he finally retreats to the vents.

The point I'm making is that dying is a non-stop borderline unavoidable occurrence that will totally bring you out of the experience and leave you frustrated.

There are a few good things about the game, but I see no point in mentioning them as they are far outweighed by the bad things in the game and my purpose here is to recommend that you do not waste your time and money on it.
  38. Oct 10, 2014
    Its not perfect.. but easily my game of the year....

Pros.. Grait optimization, i never went under 60fps using the 5960*1080 resolution. at ultra graphics setting. Multiscreen support, Good A.I. Fantastic graphics. Good story that does not butcher the franchise. And a good long campaign.. iam tired of those 3houer story's... Cons... Meeh lip-sync.. The inventoryitem wheel is
    Its not perfect.. but easily my game of the year....

Pros..
    Multiscreen support,
    Good A.I.
    Fantastic graphics.
    Good story that does not butcher the franchise.
    And a good long campaign.. iam tired of those 3houer story's...

Cons...
    Meeh lip-sync..
    The inventoryitem wheel is defiantly made with a controller in mind, however its functional with keyboard and mouse.

This is defiantly worth a buy...
  39. Dec 23, 2014
    I don't want to come out of the closet 10/10 .
  40. Apr 5, 2015
    The game had its ups and downs. I really enjoyed the beginning, then it became tedious and boring. I pushed through it to begin having fun again (to avoid spoilers I will just say three quarters through). The crafting system has real minimal use. The androids are annoying. All in all my enjoyment from this game would have been much greater if the game was just shorter. That was theThe game had its ups and downs. I really enjoyed the beginning, then it became tedious and boring. I pushed through it to begin having fun again (to avoid spoilers I will just say three quarters through). The crafting system has real minimal use. The androids are annoying. All in all my enjoyment from this game would have been much greater if the game was just shorter. That was the biggest problem the game was WAY TO LONG. Since I had mixed feelings on this game I will give it a 5. Expand
  41. Oct 13, 2014
    Good. After about 8 hours total, heres my impressions of Alien:Isolation. Bottom line is its a worthy Alien game and probably one of the best so far. Its a stealth game, which is great and what I'd expected from the hype. BUT ............... Graphics are OK, not brilliant, but they do the job. But there are annoying glitches that spoil the immersion. If you look down at your feet whenGood. After about 8 hours total, heres my impressions of Alien:Isolation. Bottom line is its a worthy Alien game and probably one of the best so far. Its a stealth game, which is great and what I'd expected from the hype. BUT ............... Graphics are OK, not brilliant, but they do the job. But there are annoying glitches that spoil the immersion. If you look down at your feet when walking you look like you're floating rather than walking. Face textures are good, but arm/hand textures are very basic. How much graffiti on the space station walls? And so repeititive - didnt the people have anything better to do than write the same phrases again and again. And Again. Your character 'death' sequence is as basic as your arm/hand graphics. Some may say minimalist, some may say disappointing. The alien is not very slimey. or well animated Audio is good, - but back to graphics - I wish they could have got the lip/voice sync thing together. NPS will talk to you but face areas you are not standing in - how are you supposed to know where to stand? Come on theres even an 'NPC head tracking' patch for Skyrim! One last thing. In the intro/tutorial wait for the other crew to get to the bridge for the briefing before you - or they will never show up! I waited in the bridge for a good 30 minutes wondering what I'd missed, then had to restart the game from scratch. You may look at that list and think, so what and in most FPS it would be so what, but Aliens:Isolation is a survival/horror immersion game, so the little things matter. Here's hoping they get patched. Expand
  42. Oct 14, 2014
    I'm so glad this game is not another Colonial Marines! This is what happens when a game is put into a competent developers hands! Alien Isolation is a Superb game, and you should play it!

You play as engineer Amanda Ripley, daughter of Ellen Ripley from the first and second Alien film. Amanda has been searching for Ellen, and is informed of a lead on the space station Sevastopol. As usual in a horror story things go horribly wrong. It's awesome. Alien Isolation plays like a stealth game, well a cat and mouse game, and you're the mouse. Your enemies are significantly stronger than you, especially the Alien. So it's usually in your best interest to crouch walk through the deserted and dead hallways to your next objective. That's not to say you can't fight back, the game gives you an arsenal, but if still makes you feel weak and vulnerable. You have that gun? Ok, it's gonna take a few shots to put that enemy down, oh, and the Alien will hear you! Oh, you have that flamethrower that scares the Alien away? Well, he will come back, and he will be pissed! Alien Isolation is terrifying because of this constant one-move-from-checkmate feeling, and it's excellent atmosphere further drives this feeling. Walking down a deserted hallway and hearing the Alien bump around in the vents is heart pounding! Your only source of comfort is your motion tracker, which alerts you to near by enemies. But you dread pulling out your only savior because you don't want the Alien to be near you, and you don't want to confirm that it's near you. Ignorance is bliss, unless you're standing in the fire (speaking from experience here.) This is all topped of with a manual save system, which also acts as your checkpoint system. I liked this, and thankfully the save stations are evenly spaced out. So you won't have to repeat too much if your die. Gameplay wise Alien Isolation exceeds with flying colors, it's terrifying, and it's a lot of fun.

The graphics are impressive. The attention to detail is incredible! When the game first gave me control of Amanda I was running around looking at every nook and cranny. Some textures are pretty low res however; computer consoles, tools, desks, etc. Along with the cut scenes. Which went from stunning to ugly, it was annoyingly inconsistent, and they're littered with a horrible frame rate. Sometimes the facial animation would look alive and believable, but in the next scene all of the characters would look stoned and detached. Same with animations as well. The pre rendered cut scenes are few and far between when it comes to the narrative, so it makes me wonder why they even bothered. Why not just make it all first person with the in game engine? Not that interactions look better there, character animation is stiff and sometimes their lips don't move when they talk. It's obvious that The Creative Assembly focused on the environments more than anything else, which is great and annoying.

Narrative is also where Isolation falls short. The story isn't bad, but it could have been more! It's so disappointing because there was so much potential with the premise. I hardly cared about the characters and forgot all of their names (except for Amanda for obvious reasons.) It's annoying, because the game clearly wants you to care. The only time I was anywhere near emotionally invested was when the plot focused on Amanda's search for her mom, which shockingly takes up a VERY small part of the story. Seriously it's sad how little it's focused on. All of this is coupled with a disappointing ending.

Over all though Isolation is fantastic. Despite my issues with the narrative and it's inconsistent presentation I loved it. It's easily one of my favorite horror games.
  43. Oct 31, 2014
    An intense and authentic Alien experience!
    Right from the very start of the game it lives up its namesake - Isolation.
    An intense and authentic Alien experience!
    Right from the very start of the game it lives up its namesake - Isolation.
    At no point do you (or should you) feel entirely safe or overpowered for a situation, even at later stages of the game as your arsenal expands. In true survival horror style, ammunition is sparse and disposable items are best held on to, as your next encounter with enemies could be that much tougher!
    Despite firearms being featured this is by no means a first person shooter. In fact quite the opposite. I found myself avoiding all possible firefights as the sound alone is enough to attract the alien. This mechanic did work to my favour sometimes though, as a shot that might only graze a sliver of health from me can bring the alien down and take care of my attackers for me (while I wait in a dark corner somewhere ;)
    I did find the inability to sprint freely everywhere (again, the noise may attract the alien) somewhat limiting, as often you'll know what to do or where to go, but you need to stealthily move from point A to point B. Even if you've tried it a few times before with the unfortunate outcome of death, you'll have to take the same measured approach and creep your way to the next save point. This is the nature of the game however. Without a challenge, we may as well just be watching a movie ;)
    Speaking of which, the presentation here is phenomenal. The graphics and sound quality is superb on the Xbox One, ignoring the odd moments of 'lag' when the game seems to be loading things at inopportune moments. Fortunately, only a handful of these hiccups were experienced in my 20+ hours playthrough and for the rest of the game the framerate was solid. Artistically, Isolation is a tip of the hat to the original Alien film and any random backdrop would surely have a use in this bleak setting as nothing seems out of place or included just for the sake of being shiny - it's all cohesive and believable. As for the audio, I simply cannot fault it. I was playing through a 5.1 setup and it was all encompassing. From the metallic creaks and electrical arcs the Sevastopol station exhibits in its state of entropy, to murmurs of potentially hostile humans and the welcoming 'beep' of the emergency phone themed save points, the audio continually impressed on a technical level and helped reinforce my situational awareness within the game itself. The bass-laden alien footsteps oft times caused me to rethink making a break for it out from a hiding spot :P
    I don't want to give anything away in regards to plot or characters here, but story wise, the game delivers.
    My only true gripe would be with the pacing of the game towards the later stages. While the story progresses steadily throughout, the gameplay itself plateaus. The same tricks and strategies used in the first half of the game are really all that is needed to make it to the end, with a few curve balls of course.
    I know I should never complain that a game is 'too long' (or developers might get the wrong idea) but the story itself and the simple want of getting the mission over with were all that were propelling me forward in the last few hours.
    All in all however, a very satisfying and rewarding game which I will replay again in the near future to snatch up some leftover achievements :)
  44. Jan 5, 2015
    This is a great reboot of the franchise. This has a good story that is a little tough to follow at times. The sound is great and the visuals are good for a console. Overall the the game is a struggle to plow through. This is a very frustrating game. You will die a lot. I was also very surprised at how long the game is. This is a game worth a buy.
  45. Oct 21, 2014
    I had to leave a review I'm almost 3 hours into the game and my nerves have never been so shredded. There a no cheap jump tricks here just pure adrenaline as if you actually on the ship evading the alien. I have to say though anyone not into hiding and taking it slow do not buy this game. There is action but it's mainly about deception and distraction both for the alien and other npc's.I had to leave a review I'm almost 3 hours into the game and my nerves have never been so shredded. There a no cheap jump tricks here just pure adrenaline as if you actually on the ship evading the alien. I have to say though anyone not into hiding and taking it slow do not buy this game. There is action but it's mainly about deception and distraction both for the alien and other npc's. The graphics are stunning and so much attention to detail 10/10 for that. If you have always wanted to be in an alien film or at least feel like you are in the universe this is for you. The alien is terrifying and no one way is the same one load and the alien is waking down the corridor the next he's up in the vents changing his strategy. Awesome x100000 Expand
  46. Dec 31, 2014
    What an amazing game. The setting, atmosphere and color palette all fit in nicely. If you are an Alien fan,,,,this is a must buy. My only gripe is that it is a little too long. I admit i had several scares throughout my first play through and ive just started my second.
  47. Feb 11, 2015
    To be honest, I have no idea how any one hates this game. That's what I hat about this generation, they always look at the negative in something instead of the Greatness that this certain thing has. I pain and suffered when people said they hated this game. I always asked "Okay, what the heck is wrong with this game?" and nobody could give me a good fact instead of a personal opinion. ButTo be honest, I have no idea how any one hates this game. That's what I hat about this generation, they always look at the negative in something instead of the Greatness that this certain thing has. I pain and suffered when people said they hated this game. I always asked "Okay, what the heck is wrong with this game?" and nobody could give me a good fact instead of a personal opinion. But anyways, Alien Isolation is a good game, and don't look at the negative reviews cause those are just kids writing something on the internet.

The game is GREAT! I don't know what the heck anyone else wants from a survival horror game. The atmosphere is phenomenal, the Alien AI in here is the best I have seen, better than the Outlast enemies and that is saying something. It reminds me a lot of the Alien movie, to the newbies it was the first Alien movie that came out. The rooms are the same and the doors and everything is almost EXACTLY like the movie, the only thing that I could really single out was the motion tracker wasn't a big freaking beast to carry around.

My only complaints about this game, is that it was SUPER long, now don't get me wrong that's not a bad thing at all, just if you died a lot- like me- it took me about 2 months to beat the game because I got it at Christmas time, and it still took me a long time to beat the game. Second, is the androids they weren't really that hard to get pass because I could just run RIGHT PAST THEM. Why the heck put an enemy like that in there, if they are not hard to kill or threatening. Sure there was some times where I had to sneak pass them but that was the part where I didn't want to play this game any more was because no matter where I hid they always found me then I just ran tried to hide again, and they would find me. Just a little annoying. 3rd reason is how the alien 1 hit kill you, that was a nice touch on my end, but it makes the game a little less scary than Outlast because, in Outlast you hide, but if they found you, you HAD to run. In here, if it finds you it kills you, it made the game more intense for me, but for people like my brother it made it so the game didn't scare you at all.

But over all those were just my 3 reasons, and they get over looked because the game is just done well. Sega, or whoever made this game, really hit the nail on the head for the Alien series.

My recommendation, GET THIS GAME, it is worth it.
  48. Aug 24, 2015
    At first this game was a 10, then it was a 9, now it's an 8. Great graphics, suspense-driven gameplay, great voice acting, a diverse and always interesting setting, etc. It's survival-gaming at it's finest. So why not a 10? The xenomorph, that's why. The game starts off as an immersive and inspired journey into the world of Alien. The storyline makes sense, the characters are great, theAt first this game was a 10, then it was a 9, now it's an 8. Great graphics, suspense-driven gameplay, great voice acting, a diverse and always interesting setting, etc. It's survival-gaming at it's finest. So why not a 10? The xenomorph, that's why. The game starts off as an immersive and inspired journey into the world of Alien. The storyline makes sense, the characters are great, the tech feels like it got smuggled in the back of someone's van, then discarded, rebuilt, thrown away again, and then repurposed into your latest gadget, in other words it all feels very real. Except the Alien.

I'm spoiling absolutely nothing when I disclose that the xenomorph makes an appearance in this game. The xenomorph is of course terrifying when it first appears, and it is a fearsome opponent far beyond your ability to combat. But then it shows up again, and again, and again. And what started as a frightening phantom stalking the ship turns into a foot-stomping, invincible monster that always walks into the room moments after you hide in a locker. It follows you around the ship for no particular reason, and despite the stealthy nature of the aliens in the movies, this one makes more noise than a freight train. Where we should've been made to keep an eye out for evidence that it's near, we're instead bombarded by loud footsteps anytime it's near. Instead of feeling like a monster lingering in the shadow, the xenomorph walks around the halls with no particular purpose other than to kill you if you stand in the open too long. The first encounter was cool, the second was lame, the third was tiresome, and instead of being an interesting addition the alien quickly becomes a game-design crutch, thrown into every situation in order to make life difficult for the player. Which is so disappointing since your human and robot opponents offer more interesting and varied approaches since you can actually defeat them. The alien on the other hand is shrouded in invincible plot armor until (and I'm only speculating here) you flush it out the airlock in the climatic finale after you return to your ship and think you're safe.

It's still a great game, but I'm at my third encounter with the xenomorph and I really wish they'd put more thought into it than just having the game devolve into a wait-move-wait-move stealth game. The exploration is the interesting piece, finding out what happened, and dodging enemies here and there. The alien's moments just feel so forced that it quickly becomes more of an annoyance than a highlight.
  49. Nov 10, 2014
    If you are a fan of Ridley Scott's Alien, this game is your game. Just like the first movie, everything is about suspense, thriller and get you on the edge of your seat. Of course, there's action but it's not James Cameron's Aliens....
    If you are looking for slow game... searching for clues, exploring some vast areas and trying to escape the Alien.... This game is perfect for you! Visiting the station is incredible with the amount of details. The visual are perfect. And the sounds... OMG, the sound is incredible and really help to turn this game into a perfect claustrophobic survival horror experience!!
    Side note... it can be a little frustrating since you'll get lost and die a lot... but I repeat, this game is more like the first Alien... not like the sequel "Let's take our guns and try to kill them all" Aliens...

I'm putting 10 because Alien Isolation deserve at least a 9.5 / 10.
  50. Jan 14, 2015
    An excellent game and just what the Alien brand needed after some shockers. A very atmospheric and genuinely scary game with an attention to detail and style that you'd be hard pressed to find in other games. Excellent buy for any real Alien fan.
  51. Mar 24, 2015
    An excellent game. Easily one of the best games of 2014. If you're a fan of the original Alien film, go out and buy this now. Pay full price for it if you have to, it's that good.
  52. Feb 9, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is pretty cool. I bought it on a whim and honestly had never read or seen anything about it. I just knew I loved the movies so I figured why not try it out.

This game captures the atmosphere of the original movie, well at least for the first half. The first half of the game is very scary. You can feel the tension build in the atmosphere of the game and you're not given much in terms of survival. Sadly, where this game kinda went wrong and why it won't get a perfect 10 for me is that once you make it to chapter 10, the game gets too easy. Sure chapter 10 is one of the hardest chapters but once you get the flamethrower, the game is basically over. The biggest threats for survival are then easy to avoid/contain, making the game a lot less scary. But don't let this convey that I haven't enjoyed this game because I definitely have! I just wish we hadn't been given a safety net.

The scares are definitely there, at least for the first half. You never know when the alien will pop up and when it does, it's pretty scary and you'll have to find a place to hide, quickly, especially on harder difficulties. Androids are pretty creepy too with their eyes and the ones who hide on the ground.

The only things I can say hinder the game is lack of open world (exploration is possible but it's very poor and clunky), a bit of repetition, and the difficulty after obtaining the flame thrower. All in all, though, this game is pretty cool. It's a great mashup of Fallout 3 (sans open world), Amnesia: The Dark Descent, and the Alien movie. Not to mention the graphics are gorgeous! Seriously, they're some of the best I've seen on any game
  53. Nov 10, 2014
    Well done Sega! I feel I am on the road to recovery after the disaster that was colonial marines. If you go into this game looking for a run and gun shooter, you will be disappointed. But if you take it for what it is - an edge of your seat horror/suspense game, this is just what the doctor ordered. Yes there is only one alien - but she is one mean mofo. I survived my first panickedWell done Sega! I feel I am on the road to recovery after the disaster that was colonial marines. If you go into this game looking for a run and gun shooter, you will be disappointed. But if you take it for what it is - an edge of your seat horror/suspense game, this is just what the doctor ordered. Yes there is only one alien - but she is one mean mofo. I survived my first panicked encounter, but she came back for me! Again, and again, and again! The first time she got me I almost fell off my chair. Your time aboard the ship and space station will not only be spent sneaking around and avoiding the big ugly, there are plenty of other denizens waiting in the shadows - groups of survivors and ill-tempered synthetics add to the difficulty and fun of the game. You will come across a few friendly faces as well, but be wary! There are weapons and tools at your disposal to help you along the way - firearms, flamethrowers, noise-makers, smoke bombs, and EMP mines, just to name a few. Don't expect to just pop a cap in big mama's ass though, it ain't gonna be that easy! This game is best played on hard in my opinion, as it is more of a horror/survival game and this will give you the most bang for your buck. Death will come for you, no doubt - so steer clear if your not up for a few frustrations. But getting your head torn off is rarely this great.
    I think 9 is an appropriate score based on what the game was aiming to achieve. Great graphics and design, good gameplay, great bad guys, awesome edge of your seat suspense. Games like this give me hope that there is good stuff in store for the new generation of consoles.
  54. Apr 17, 2015
    A neat game that actually felt a little bit too long. The unpredictability of the Alien at first was rather refreshing, but honestly after a while it became a bit of a distraction to some of the other elements of the game. On its own, "Alien Isolation" is a decent reiteration of the survival horror genre that can be more closely compared to "Dead Space". The difference is that, whereA neat game that actually felt a little bit too long. The unpredictability of the Alien at first was rather refreshing, but honestly after a while it became a bit of a distraction to some of the other elements of the game. On its own, "Alien Isolation" is a decent reiteration of the survival horror genre that can be more closely compared to "Dead Space". The difference is that, where "Dead Space" was fun not just because of the scares, but because there was a good fight/battle mechanic to it so that there was more to the game than just "constantly being on edge for the fear that an alien will pop out."

That feeling of constant dread was nice and different for my liking...in the beginning. Later in the game, the frequency of the Alien and the lack of any other real gameplay content became a bit of a letdown. Perhaps a sequel that allows the actual destruction the Alien, and isn't unplayable like "Colonial Marines" (but with multiple aliens in a slightly-miltaristic atmosphere) could rectify some of those more exciting opportunities.
  55. Oct 10, 2014
    This is a game that was catching a lot of hate at first.. its a suspense building survival game NOT a shooter. Dont try to rush through it. Turn your lights off, put on a headset and make sure your alone. The idea is to take the game slow and smart. this game also utilizes the kinects head motion feature along with the noise recognition. so if your hiding and make a noise the alien WILLThis is a game that was catching a lot of hate at first.. its a suspense building survival game NOT a shooter. Dont try to rush through it. Turn your lights off, put on a headset and make sure your alone. The idea is to take the game slow and smart. this game also utilizes the kinects head motion feature along with the noise recognition. so if your hiding and make a noise the alien WILL hear you and WILL kill you!
    Visually a gorgeous game.. I had to turn down the in game grain percentage but that was it and im playing on a 55" 1080p LED 120hz samsung TV. It looks SO beautiful. The sounds also are simply terrifying when trying to snoop around quietly. Also note im wearing the Turtle Beach XP sevens.
    If you are ready for a cinematic single player horror game look no further. Try it out with a open mind and i think you will be very happy.
  56. Oct 10, 2014
    I love how they captured the feel of the original movie even the sounds from the original movie are used. Definitely a must play for alien fans the game really makes you stressed having to worry about the alien all the time. I must say this Is probably my new favorite for Xbox One being a huge fan of the series myself I found the last alien game disapointing but this game really makes upI love how they captured the feel of the original movie even the sounds from the original movie are used. Definitely a must play for alien fans the game really makes you stressed having to worry about the alien all the time. I must say this Is probably my new favorite for Xbox One being a huge fan of the series myself I found the last alien game disapointing but this game really makes up for it. This game has hours apon hours of fun and isn't afraid to be challenging I most definitely recommend playing on hard mode for the full experience and challenge. Expand
  57. Oct 12, 2014
    Atmosphere and suspense is extraordinary in this game. I have never played a game like this before and I absolutely love it. I love horror games and this one legitimately made me jump several times. This is not an action horror game, this is a straight survival horror game. The entire game you are doing your best to survive. The fun really comes into play when you are making devices andAtmosphere and suspense is extraordinary in this game. I have never played a game like this before and I absolutely love it. I love horror games and this one legitimately made me jump several times. This is not an action horror game, this is a straight survival horror game. The entire game you are doing your best to survive. The fun really comes into play when you are making devices and items to outsmart the different enemies or even turn them against each other. Great game, I would definitely label this as a must play. Expand
  58. Oct 17, 2014
    Fantastic game! I watched Alien again before playing and I would suggest you do as well. The atmosphere is spot on. Graphics are top notch as is the tension and build up. The only reason I didn't give it a ten is that in some spots I wished they would have prompted me a bit more as to what I should be doing or where I should be going. Finally we get a new type of game. I trulyFantastic game! I watched Alien again before playing and I would suggest you do as well. The atmosphere is spot on. Graphics are top notch as is the tension and build up. The only reason I didn't give it a ten is that in some spots I wished they would have prompted me a bit more as to what I should be doing or where I should be going. Finally we get a new type of game. I truly believe this game is ground breaking. If you are sick of every game essentially being "point at something and shoot it" this game is for you. Great job to everyone who worked on this game! Expand
  59. Oct 24, 2014
    Alien Isolation is a fantastic game that really captures the atmosphere of being on a space station the sights the sound are perfect. And always having that fear at the Alien will catch you its slow paced game makes a fresh approach to games that are far more fast paced the manual save system good to a game doesn't hold your hand - only downside is the human animation could have beenAlien Isolation is a fantastic game that really captures the atmosphere of being on a space station the sights the sound are perfect. And always having that fear at the Alien will catch you its slow paced game makes a fresh approach to games that are far more fast paced the manual save system good to a game doesn't hold your hand - only downside is the human animation could have been better as in the people can look a bit wooden. but that doesn't effect the game overall its still a brilliant game. Expand
  60. Oct 27, 2014
    The Creative Assembly have created a monster. They’ve carved a new notch in the plank that pairs movies with games, and we applaud them for that. This is the longest, most terrifying movie (that also happens to be a video game) I’ve ever experienced.
  61. Dec 8, 2014
    An 'Alien' fans wet dream... From the second you start the game it really does feel like you are playing out the movie, with spot on design that makes you want to explore and look at things just for the sake of seeing how many times you get that feeling of nostalgia when you see an item you remember from the movie. The story is great, and about as believable as it's going to get withoutAn 'Alien' fans wet dream... From the second you start the game it really does feel like you are playing out the movie, with spot on design that makes you want to explore and look at things just for the sake of seeing how many times you get that feeling of nostalgia when you see an item you remember from the movie. The story is great, and about as believable as it's going to get without being too over the top or skewing from the story line the movies have already set in stone. The only complaints I have about the game is that it can be buggy at times (like when the alien is feet away and looking right at you, but then suddenly turns away like it forgot you were there), but that is easily overlooked since it is rare. Second complaint would be that it can be very difficult at times, not because of the alien, but because of the amount of 'Working Joe' synthetic bots you have to sneak around or fight. The game is great at creating that tension and fear that you felt the first time watching 'Alien', but it does get put to a halt when you realize you have to sneak around a Joe for the 50th time. Other than that, the game is perfect. If you are playing with a good sound system or a decent set of headphones then there isn't a doubt that you will be suffering from sweaty palms throughout this entire game as you hear the alien crawling in the vents above you just as you were about to take out another crazed survivor. The story mode of this game is a total winner and the 'survivor' mode can be fun but turns into nothing more than a 'try to get lucky' sprint to the finish line to get a top time on the leader boards. The little replay value and few bugs (at this point) are the only reason this game is not getting a perfect rating. If developers were to somehow work co-op or even a counter-op multiplayer in some way this game would get an 11. Expand
  62. Feb 24, 2015
    Recently picked this up in a sale, avoided it due to the certain media giving it bad reviews, I decided to finally check it out and wow! How wrong they were a truly terrifying and terrific experience! While this game is one of the best survival horrors I've played it's not without its falls, human Ai can be very frustrating at times and seem to just be in your way! The side characters youRecently picked this up in a sale, avoided it due to the certain media giving it bad reviews, I decided to finally check it out and wow! How wrong they were a truly terrifying and terrific experience! While this game is one of the best survival horrors I've played it's not without its falls, human Ai can be very frustrating at times and seem to just be in your way! The side characters you meet are very 2d in personality with very stiff and emotionless faces when interacting with you.
    But these minor problems aside the main star of the game is the alien itself, it's unpredictable behaviour makes it so you can't have the same strategy throughout the game, as you adapt it adapts, every encounter you have with the alien is always terrifying especially when you don't know your environment! I highly recommend this game for the unforgettable 10+ you'll get from it
  63. Feb 27, 2015
    I was very excited for this game to come out. I have been waiting a very long time for someone to make a Survival Horror game that could recapture that feeling I had playing Resident Evil so many years ago.

This game met all my expectations in that department at least. The game look amazing and I love the puzzle aspect and stealth aspect. This is not a Run & Gun game. Nor is it a Stealth game you could just Run & Gun your way through.

My Only real complaint with this game was the length of the Story and the Season Pass. $29.99 for the season pass which only gives you challenge levels with not much in the way of story content. To top that off no more Achievements were attached to even warrant a purchase.

I bought the Season Pass as Part of The Ultimate Game Sale for $12.99 and still feel cheated for having done so.

This is a game Worth Playing by anyone who loves Video Games in general.
  64. Feb 27, 2015
    If you are an Alien fan then get this game immediately. Simple. The atmosphere is so tense it's actually terrifying. Crank the volume and turn the lights out and try make it 30 minutes without calling your mother.

The gameplay isn't the best but it's most definitely the BEST Alien game there has ever been and looks amazing. I'm the kind of gamer that soaks in the environments and

I'm the kind of gamer that soaks in the environments and never rushes through any level.

Some might think the game is frustrating but I lap that up so it's ideal for me.

I give it a strong 9 as a fanboy of the franchise.
  65. Mar 11, 2015
    I think a 78 is low, but a lot more accurate than the IGN review, This is a great game and worth buying. This and dead space are the best in survival horror in my opinion. not even close to my favorite genre of gaming: so the fact that i like them so much is a compliment toward both.
  66. May 15, 2015
    Absolutely brilliant game if you liked the original Alien movie (not Aliens or the later ones). I've waited most my life to actually live that experience, and this game absolutely nails it. I recommend playing it on hard from the start, as that is how it was meant to be played (according to the developers). You'll get used to the settings don't give up and lower the difficulty: it isAbsolutely brilliant game if you liked the original Alien movie (not Aliens or the later ones). I've waited most my life to actually live that experience, and this game absolutely nails it. I recommend playing it on hard from the start, as that is how it was meant to be played (according to the developers). You'll get used to the settings don't give up and lower the difficulty: it is meant to be played carefully. It isn't scary in the sense of "unknown supernatural evil that will scare you while you sleep" type game, but the anxiety is unrelenting while you play. I was so happy when I finally beat it because I needed to end the stress, it was literally affecting my health lol. But I knew what I was getting into: reliving the original Alien movie and if it wasn't stressful then they didn't capture the essence of that movie. One of the best 10 games of all time in my opinion. Expand
  67. Dec 13, 2015
    Engrossing, atmospheric and remarkably true to the Ridley Scott original. Slight gameplay issues towards the end when dealing with the Alien/s and slightly disappointing end, but well worth playing in its entirety- a great ride.
  68. Nov 14, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Alien Isolation is an impressive take on the 70s film "Alien" with next gen quality visuals on last gen tech, a sense of true horror, terrifyingly simple but extremely difficult A.I., and if you got the Nostromo Edition, you're in for a real treat.

You play as Amanda Ripley "daughter of Ellen Ripley" and a strong female lead. The story has you along in a decollate mall ship paradise thing in Jupiter's Orbit know only as Sevastopol. Sevastopol is now a home of the Xenomorph and the rest of the crazed survivors. You must go through many tricky and interesting puzzles that will test your patience and fear factor level. Oh and this game is not meant for the impatient because if you make one wrong move you'll either get killed or go through an insane attempt at escaping. Don't bother escaping from the Alien. You'll get caught up to because the thing is fast AF and its impossible to kill. Don't even friggin' run in this game. That's how sensitive the A.I.'s hearing is in this game is. The A.I. is very advanced in this game and difficulty is definitely on the hard end. The game is about 10 hours long and you can't go once at anytime without dying unless you're going for the achievement.

The scenery feels like were something when down hard. The atmosphere and music is tense and terrifying keeping you on your toes making sure you don't die and you will hallucinate plenty of times thinking the Xenomorph is lurking in your bedroom right now in fact. The game maybe a single place to go kind of game but the game's environments are actually more open than what anyone expected. Most of the stuff that's blocked off are available to be unlocked after you've got the right tool for the job. Heck the stuff you find later on. You can go back to the beginning of the game and unlock the blocked off areas. I haven't even found what's back in the beginning yet because story.

If you got the Nostromo Edition (like I got), you play as the original cast. You start in the scene after they discuss the Alien and you have to close off the area without getting killed. I don't know how it ends because I keep getting killed.

Pros:
    Excellent Story
    Advanced A.I.
    Amazing Graphical Detail
    Memorable Characters
    Just the right amount of difficulty
    Perfect Movie Tie-In game
  69. Jan 2, 2016
    I will happily give this a perfect 10, this is by far the best Alien game I've ever played. The tension and atmosphere is perfectly recreated from the movies I enjoyed when I was younger. The game has made me literally yelp in fright multiple times. I understand this is not everyones cup of tea however this will be highly rated by horror game and Alien fans alike. Recently read the IGNI will happily give this a perfect 10, this is by far the best Alien game I've ever played. The tension and atmosphere is perfectly recreated from the movies I enjoyed when I was younger. The game has made me literally yelp in fright multiple times. I understand this is not everyones cup of tea however this will be highly rated by horror game and Alien fans alike. Recently read the IGN review that gave it a low rating and criticised it highly. This game is nothing short of a masterpiece as you can see from the user reviews; IGN have it all wrong Expand
  70. Jul 23, 2016
    GAMEPLAY

An intense and lengthy campaign that can last for 20+ hours. There's also Crew Expendable, an additional short campaign and challenge maps with competitive leaderboards. No real complaints here except the fps camera felt slightly awkward compared to other mainstream fps games, again not a huge deal. The alien has never felt so real in a game. SOUND Much as expected from a
    GAMEPLAY

SOUND

Much as expected from a survival/horror experience. An eerie atmosphere with plenty of sudden bumps to keep you on your toes. Most pose real threats and shouldn't be ignored. Alien noises are spot on from the films.

GRAPHICS

Lots of detail with excellent smoke effects and lightning. Isolation is one of the best looking games so far this gen.

STORY

Objectives can feel tedious at times but it maintains a fair level of urgency from beginning to end. There's plenty of easter eggs for fans of the film series.

ENTERTAINMENT

This game deserves more than an 8, I'd rate it 8.9 if possible. Death seemed unavoidable at times when being hunted by the alien but using different tools and strategies to survive never got old. Creative Assembly developed a game that is true to the survival/horror genre but also to the spirit of the film series that inspired the product.
  71. Jun 15, 2016
    This is one of the scariest video games I have ever played. If you have even thought about buying this game, but are turned off by the unfit reviewer's review on IGN, buy the game right now. Heck, borrow it from a friend and then buy it. The game is fantastic!!!
  72. Feb 23, 2016
    For the 1st time since Alien Trilogy , I am really enjoying an Alien game . This has been long overdue , an Alien game that focusses more on Survival than combat . The is what I have been waiting for , the game that I can play in the night and have that dark scary vibe . This game will make you scared with its intensity . The Alien is unpredictable and you can't kill it , silence is yourFor the 1st time since Alien Trilogy , I am really enjoying an Alien game . This has been long overdue , an Alien game that focusses more on Survival than combat . The is what I have been waiting for , the game that I can play in the night and have that dark scary vibe . This game will make you scared with its intensity . The Alien is unpredictable and you can't kill it , silence is your best weapon . One small mistake can be your biggest regret fot the night . It can sometimes be frustrating as you can't save anywhere , you need to find an emergency station to save and during the process , you are stil vulnerable . This just reminds the players to play carefully and to play as if you are the one trapped with the Alien and trying to survive Expand
  73. Oct 5, 2016
    I like this game because you have to survive while doing a campaign so you are always on your feet trying to avoid danger and death there are multiple enemy’s so you can’t trust anyone whatever they do, even the vent is not safe so you can’t stop moving.

1. Feb 25, 2015
    Though it's not flawless, Isolation is certainly one of the best games in the franchise, and I'm damn impressed with what The Creative Assembly has managed to pull off.
  2. Hyper Magazine
    Dec 2, 2014
    Thrilling from start to finish, Alien: Isolation is the game fans of the franchise have long been waiting for. [Issue#255, p.57]
  3. Oct 27, 2014
    Alien: Isolation embraces Ridley Scott's original vision, delivering us a claustrophobic survival horror experience with a good stealth side. Unmissable for every Alien and sci-fi horror lover.