7.2

1. Mar 23, 2014
    Sigh.. more of the same frustrating mess from the previous games. i want to be able to enjoy these games, and will keep trying since i liked AC2 so much, but this one is yet another disappointment. More long cutscenes with wooden animation that aren't interesting and you can't skip. More redundant, slow, boring "follow me" missions where you must walk slowly behind a guide. More randomSigh.. more of the same frustrating mess from the previous games. i want to be able to enjoy these games, and will keep trying since i liked AC2 so much, but this one is yet another disappointment. More long cutscenes with wooden animation that aren't interesting and you can't skip. More redundant, slow, boring "follow me" missions where you must walk slowly behind a guide. More random chase missions which you'll accidentily start climbing a wall when you intended to trun a corner, and lose more ground on your target. And my least favortie of all, the "tail" missions. I hit the first one of the game, rolled my eyes as i'm back in familiar territory, and just like with previous games, it's so annoying, not fun, and frustrating that i must quit the game. The mission I'm now embarssingly stuck on is to follow 2 guys, who will occasionally turn around and may spot you. That's easy enough but there enemy police are also looking out for you and they are all over the place. I get spotted no matter where i go, and even if i'm successful in eluding the enemy, my traget will be out of range and i can't get back to them fast enough without failing the mission. To me, these are just filler missions that take way too much time and have no entertainment value, but they are also way too tricky and difficult. If there's a way to skip these garbage missions, i'd be fine with them as an option, so i could get to the missions that I think are fun. You know, the ones where you actually ASSASSINATE targets or the climbing puzzles. There is fun to be had with these games, but they make it such a chore to get to. I feel like i spend an hour of unfun to get to the 10 minutes worth of fun missions. Not worth it to me. Add to the trade-in pile. Expand
  2. Nov 22, 2013
    I never really liked the Assassin's Creed games and now I know why. The gameplay doesn't appeal to me and the story and characters don't either. Just my opinion though.
  3. Dec 21, 2013
    A warning for those who are looking at this forum prior to purchasing this game. If you or any of your friends are considering buying this for the Xbox One, I would recommend against it. Here was my experience:

I was thoroughly enjoying it as I had with the previous Assassin's Creed games. This game on the Xbox one however is horrifically broken due to the inexplicable nature of randomly losing save progress and in my case, completely losing my save game (after untold hours of play). Unfortunately Microsoft does not provide a way for an individual to view or even backup save game data like you could with previous consoles or by finding the appropriate save game directory on the PC.

In my situation my game was overwritten on my profile with my son's data from his profile. We had been playing separately for several weeks as intended with no Issues. One day I logged in and his saved game was on my profile. There is no way to purposefully do this on this console due to the inability for an end-user to see or interact with save game data. The support at Microsoft was very friendly and helpful but unfortunately there was nothing they could do. It turns out that most likely the culprit is the Ubisoft UPlay functionality built inherently into the game that caused the issue. If you google "Assassin's Creed black flag save game" you find countless others who have had similar issues.

When I contacted Ubisoft support about the issue, they were short, rude and were uninformed on how the xbox one actually works (They asked if I had backed up my game). Not helpful at all. I have since cancelled my preorder for Watchdogs and got a refund from Microsoft for the DLC. It's a shame since I have played to completion all of the previous games in the series. I even have all achievements on AC2.
tbd

No score yet - based on 3 Critics

1. Apr 20, 2014
    Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag is the best Assassin's Creed experience in terms of scale, freedom and gameplay. Between land and sea, the journey of Edward Kenway is really captivating.
  2. Dec 15, 2013
    I've played all of the major titles released with the Xbox One, and the one that I've had the most fun with, the one that I keep going back to, is Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag. If you get only one game with your shiny new Xbox One console, make it this one.
  3. Dec 4, 2013
    Beyond the underwhelming main campaign, Black Flag delivers a world brimming with gorgeous places to go, amazing secrets to discover, and nefarious pirates to stab.