7.3

1. Sep 21, 2014
    Good:
    -Huge step in the right direction for this franchise
    -Naval combat is much fun -Storyline is engaging and you actually care about the characters -Music is amazing. I felt like a pirate playing this game. Bad: -Stealth mechanics are a joke -Stalking missions are so frustrating -You need to do frustrating side missions to stand any chance at beating the story mission
    Good:
    -Huge step in the right direction for this franchise
    -Naval combat is much fun
    -Storyline is engaging and you actually care about the characters
    -Music is amazing. I felt like a pirate playing this game.

Bad:
    -Stealth mechanics are a joke
    -Stalking missions are so frustrating
    -Underwater mission is not fun, swimming with sharks is NOT fun
    -Very DLC driven game.
    -Multiplayer is non-existent
    -Cooperative mode is more like "lets see how can kill this guy first mode"
  2. Nov 26, 2013
    Assassin's Creed 4: 90% pirate, 10% assassin. To see a summary of this review scroll to the end.

Ubisoft went ahead and did the obvious. They took, the best part of Assassin's Creed 3, really the only really good part, and made a game out of it. Literally, they retrofitted the game engine used in the previous title into this a new game, while barely adding or changing anything. This whole game felt like an AC 3.1, rather than a new title.. which, I wouldn't have had a problem with, if they would have fixed the problems that plagued AC3, or actually gave us a good, satisfying story, like AC2, but they didn't.

Assassin's Creed wasn't particularly good when it came to game mechanics, AC1 and 2 were kind of bad actually, instead, it was built by it's amazing storytelling, beautiful setting, and wonderful soundtrack. I still listen to Ezio's Family by Jesper Kyd from AC2. That song brings back a kind of emotions that I rarely feel with games. AC4, however delivers only one of these, the setting. I'm going to start by criticizing the story itself. It's terrible. First off, it has nothing to do with Assassins, they barely make a cameo appearance, both inside and outside the Animus. The whole game revolves around pirates, and that wouldn't be a problem, if it was a good story. And it starts out good, but then it gets riddled with plot holes, poor writing, scenes that don't make sense, and although they stayed away from the obvious parrot cliches, they added a bunch of them story-wise. The story does make a few twists, but most of them you'll see coming a mily away, and most of them don't make sense. There is no main enemy in the game, and most of the things that happen in the game make no sense. And if you were expecting a great ending.. don't.. it is terrible. The only plot-twist you won't see coming in this game is the ending.. they drop it on you out of nowhere, just when you were expecting the game would truly begin, and then they hit you in the face with a poorly done cutscene, and leave you confused.

Here's a tip, dear Ubisoft. A story, every story, follows 5 basic steps, not necessarily in this order: Exposition, Rising Action, Progression, Climax, Ending. The 4th is completely missing, and the fifth leaves you confused, when it should leave you satisfied.

Then there are the actual missions in the story. Boring, repetitive and most of them don't make sense. All you do is follow this guy, eavesdrop on that guy. And on rare occasions you kill someone. Missions involving ships can be interesting, but at times they are the same boring "follow that ship" nonsense. In comparison with GTA 5, or Red Dead Redemption, where every mission was unique and intriguing, here they are boring, unimaginative and repetitive. The same goes for side missions. Assassinations, Naval Missions and Templar Hunts. All of them are basically the same. If you did one then you did all, there's no point in continuing. You play through it once, but you won't want to play through it a second time.

What saves the game is the beautiful and huge open world game, the side activities(not missions) and the naval combat. The setting is really amazing, although some fans of the series will find it irritating that you won't visit cities that much, only a couple times, and they are small with not a lot of things to do, the setting just didn't allow for that. Most of the time you will do what the game is all about: pirating. Naval combat is really fun, and it's been expanded upon a lot.: you can board ships, capture them, steal their cargo and send them to your fleet, you can attack naval forts and capture them. You can use those resources to upgrade your ship and so on. There are also underwater places you can explore, but there are limited, and in comparison with GTAV, where there was an entire open-world you could explore, here there are only ten locations, but it still looks great, and avoiding sharks and medusas is great fun. You can also raid plantations, which are a ton of fun... basically the side activities are really great, and make this game enjoyable, even though the story brings it down.

In summary, it looks like this game was made just so Ubisoft can make more money off of the ship mechanics in AC3. Combat and land based mechanics are basically the same as the previous game, although they did need changing and improving. The game engine is the same as it was in the third title, with very little improvement, or change, when it, again needed it. And all of this would not be a problem if the game offered a good story, but it doesn't. The story seems like an excuse to sell an adapted version of AC3, and the story is driven by the game mechanics, and not vice versa. Luckily the beautiful setting, graphics and excellent pirate game save the game and prop up the rating to a 6/10. You can't help but feel, if they only spent a little bit more time, and wouldn't pump out a game every year, it could've been an amazing game.
  3. Mar 29, 2014
    Very disappointed in this one. I'm a long time fan of the AC series, but after AC 3 I felt like it was time to hang it up. Then came Black Flag which did have my interest. Unfortunately I was very underwhelmed by this game. The story was not good, the characters were not interesting, and naval combat is still not that great. Combat is fun and graphically on the X1 it looks great.Very disappointed in this one. I'm a long time fan of the AC series, but after AC 3 I felt like it was time to hang it up. Then came Black Flag which did have my interest. Unfortunately I was very underwhelmed by this game. The story was not good, the characters were not interesting, and naval combat is still not that great. Combat is fun and graphically on the X1 it looks great. Multiplayer can be fun, but there are minimal improvements to it. Overall I'm not sure if I'll ever get a AC game again, this one is okay at best, but it should have ended already. Expand
  4. Feb 25, 2014
    AC4 is the sixth installment in a stale franchise, and as it does try to bring life back into the franchise it still falls short for myself. The thing that i loved so much in AC2 was the story. To me nothing was better then that amazing story of Ezio and it will remain my favorite AC game in the series. AC Revelations and 3 almost killed off the series with there boring stories and awfulAC4 is the sixth installment in a stale franchise, and as it does try to bring life back into the franchise it still falls short for myself. The thing that i loved so much in AC2 was the story. To me nothing was better then that amazing story of Ezio and it will remain my favorite AC game in the series. AC Revelations and 3 almost killed off the series with there boring stories and awful character choice of Connor. I was glad to see a new edgier protagonist and 4 was very much so a step in the right direction. But is it just me or am i the only person who doesn't give two **** about boats? I mean i really don't, the the problem is almost half the game your on a boat and it bothers me i like exploring the land not the sea and i can't understand why ubisoft keeps going back to it i mean if they love it so much they should make a new game about that and leave AC alone. I will still buy the next AC that will release i just hope that they reinvigorate the franchise like the very first 2 did. if not i don't see a world where assassin's creed will be around for another 5 years. Also quite with the **** multiplayer, just because a few people enjoy it doesn't mean you should waste your time and effort with it. instead how about working on the graphics because AC4 was one of the worst graphical games of the new generation and that saddens me. Expand
  5. Mar 3, 2014
    A good game and great fun for the most part. The game world is fun to explore and exciting to be a part of. The environments look stunning and make you feel immersed in the game that bit more. The game is at its best when you forget the story missions and go about make Edward the ultimate pirate. This is because the majority of the story missions consist of finding a target, tailing themA good game and great fun for the most part. The game world is fun to explore and exciting to be a part of. The environments look stunning and make you feel immersed in the game that bit more. The game is at its best when you forget the story missions and go about make Edward the ultimate pirate. This is because the majority of the story missions consist of finding a target, tailing them to a location while listening to dialogue you really don't care about until finally being able to kill them. This gets very repetitive and becomes very annoying quickly. A fresh addition into the series, but not original enough. Expand
  6. Mar 17, 2014
    I've played the previous Assasins Creed games and enjoyed them. This one... not so much. The story is decent, the pirate era is a great setting for one of these games although I felt it wasn't as well written as AC III. The graphics are okay, nothing to get excited about, it looks like a nice port of a last gen game.

My main gripe with this game is the gameplay. It feels more like a

My main gripe with this game is the gameplay. It feels more like a naval battle simulator than an AC game game, even if the naval battles are the highlight. The real problem is the controls and how broken Kenways "fluid" actions are. I don't know if this is isolated to The Xbox One version or if its just my version, but I cannot count how many times I would hurriedly climb a wall only to have Kenway stop and hang from the roof of a building, refusing to go further until I shimmied a foot to the left or right. Or how you chase shanties (some really catchy tunes actually), pushing forward on the thumbstick and have Kenway inexplicably leap off at a right angle. Combat is the same way; clunky and unresponsive, a complete opposite of my experience on Assassins Creed III.

I did manage to finish it and although it can be fun at times, the craptastic controls and clunky "free-flow" movement eventually infuriated me to the point where I uninstalled it from my Xbox One. It feels like a completely different team worked on this than did AC I - III.
  7. May 3, 2014
    If I were rating this game just on game play and presentation, I would give it at least an 8. That being said, it's the same old Assassin's Creed we love, just too repetitive. Every memory requires a lengthily "follow
    ' the target without being seen and kill whomever "without being seen. I felt more like Solid Snake most of the time. The ship battles are super repetitive and the side distractions are not that great.....I'm looking at you Diving Bell. I finished the game and could take out virtually any ship or fort with my Jackdaw being barely halfway upgraded. The trade route fleet missions are a poor replacement for the recruit an assassin missions from the Ezio trilogy. Bottom line, if you give two **** about the story arc, just watch YouTube.
  8. May 23, 2014
    The controls are still really bad. People weren't exaggerating in their reviews when they talked about how many times they got stuck on a wall, etc. It's so infuriating during a chase sequence. Animations are also still really stiff. Its a shame because as usual, the environments are gorgeous. The mission structure hasn't changed. The game is still made up mostly of follow, chase,The controls are still really bad. People weren't exaggerating in their reviews when they talked about how many times they got stuck on a wall, etc. It's so infuriating during a chase sequence. Animations are also still really stiff. Its a shame because as usual, the environments are gorgeous. The mission structure hasn't changed. The game is still made up mostly of follow, chase, and combat missions. I decided to get this game because of the summer drought. It will be something to keep me busy, but it will be a chore to get through. Expand
  9. Feb 23, 2015
    I enjoyed the first 2 assassins creed games but then got bored of the series. Picked up black flag on sale recently and it's a solid game. My biggest complaints are that the forced stealth sections are frustrating due to loose controls and schemes that have one button perform multiple functions which causes you do do things you weren't intending to do and my other biggest complaint is thatI enjoyed the first 2 assassins creed games but then got bored of the series. Picked up black flag on sale recently and it's a solid game. My biggest complaints are that the forced stealth sections are frustrating due to loose controls and schemes that have one button perform multiple functions which causes you do do things you weren't intending to do and my other biggest complaint is that you are required to have done side quests to build up your ship to progress the story which can be annoying when you hit a certain point that you cannot pass because you did not do OPTIONAL side activities earlier in the game. Expand
  10. Nov 17, 2015
    Can not stand being ripped out of the past to the future. It is so distracting and unnecessary. Ship combat is cool, but the story, and the repetitive stalking missions are so boring.
  11. Sep 13, 2014
    Yet another copy and paste franchise game from the Industry. Assassin's Creed 2 and 3 were absolutely amazing, yet greed and laziness gets in the way of innovation yet again. I'm only giving this a 5 because of the ship combat, otherwise it's a waste of money. If you want to find out about the story, do yourself a favor and watch youtube.
  12. Nov 27, 2014
    My background isn't very strong when it comes to Assassin's Creed games. The only other game of the franchise that I have played was the first one and I could not devote more time than the 4 hours I invested into it back then. That being said I enjoyed it more then the first. This review will be for single player only, multiplayer was not played enough to give a decent review.

In the

In the beginning I had a hard time immersing myself into the character, as well as the concept of being a pirate. However, the farther I progressed the more I found pleasure in sailing, hunting and being Edward. I typically enjoy leveling up early on and feeling overpowered in any video game, and to a certain degree this game allows it, just before capping you at a reasonable level to complete the next section of the story.

The free roaming had some getting used to. I found Edward running up walls and doing things that brought me out of any immersion I was in. Quickly making me realize that I was playing a video game and not fully synced in. The side tasks seem forced, but I found myself going along with them anyways just for achievements and new outfits. I guess you could say I'm a sucker for that.

In all, free roaming games are not my specialty and I write this from someone who has a strong background in shooters and RTS games.I usually find myself lost in wide open stories, but looking back I always had something to keep me going. I enjoyed Black Flag and what it had to offer. It's multiplayer could use more players, but I respect its attempts in keeping players coming back and building a stronger community through "interaction.". For those who love free roaming, pirate games, "history" and decent story this game is for you.
  13. Feb 20, 2015
    Finally I brought myself to play this part of the Assassin series. One of the best Assassin's Creed game out there in my opinion! You may wonder why I rate it just a 7. It might be due to me playing five AC games in the last two years and getting a tad exhausted in the setting, and it is. This would have worked a lot better if it was made a new IP about pirates! Yes! I want... No. I NEEDFinally I brought myself to play this part of the Assassin series. One of the best Assassin's Creed game out there in my opinion! You may wonder why I rate it just a 7. It might be due to me playing five AC games in the last two years and getting a tad exhausted in the setting, and it is. This would have worked a lot better if it was made a new IP about pirates! Yes! I want... No. I NEED that!

The story feels tired and templars vs. assassins setting feels old already. The modern day sequences feel like they have nothing to do with anything. Story progresses but nothing really drastic happen. I play the AC series for the story, not for the gameplay (which I'm not so fond of). I expected a lot more from the storytelling since I've heard this might be the best iteration in the series so far.

The game itself is a load of fun, I cannot deny that fact. Sailing in the open world, plundering innocent merchants, conquering fortresses and fighting the Royal Navy can be so much fun that I dedicated myself in the open world more than the story. A thing I've never done before in this series. Storms feel alive and look really good. The game looks quite good overall on the Xbox One, but it didn't make me go "wow" as I played the previous parts on PC.

Fighting mechanics are similar to AC3. Boring to me at this point. The most efficient battle strategy in my experience is just to counter attack with the hidden blades. New weapons look interesting but they are wasted as the counter attack strategy is even more effective. Climbing is exactly the same as before and I personally dislike it already.

Setting of the game is extremely interesting. But why, oh why, impale the concept with assassins and templars? I cannot stress it enough. The main protagonist couldn't care less of the old quarrel between these two orders for most of the game, why should I? Especially when I have been solving their little problems for the last 400 years.

Don't get me wrong. Me giving this a 7 is not a sign of dislike. Comparing this to other games I have played in the last year this did not leave me craving for more as other games might have left me. 7 is a good score after all isn't it?
tbd

No score yet - based on 3 Critics

1. Apr 20, 2014
    Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag is the best Assassin's Creed experience in terms of scale, freedom and gameplay. Between land and sea, the journey of Edward Kenway is really captivating.
  2. Dec 15, 2013
    I've played all of the major titles released with the Xbox One, and the one that I've had the most fun with, the one that I keep going back to, is Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag. If you get only one game with your shiny new Xbox One console, make it this one.
  3. Dec 4, 2013
    Beyond the underwhelming main campaign, Black Flag delivers a world brimming with gorgeous places to go, amazing secrets to discover, and nefarious pirates to stab.