7.7

1. Apr 25, 2015
    3/10 not enough light, not enough children, kidding obviously, but the battles are a little repetitive. In my opinion it's a beautiful game, and it's well made and everything but it just doesn't hold my attention.
  2. Apr 30, 2014
    Child of Light is one of those games that transports you into another world and creates a serene, calm, and tranquil environment through the use of beautiful imagery and a soothing musical score. The game makes you really feel like your in a fairytale-esque dream. Most importantly, the gameplay feels very attuned with the story and atmosphere. Little details like the main character's hairChild of Light is one of those games that transports you into another world and creates a serene, calm, and tranquil environment through the use of beautiful imagery and a soothing musical score. The game makes you really feel like your in a fairytale-esque dream. Most importantly, the gameplay feels very attuned with the story and atmosphere. Little details like the main character's hair blowing in the wind or the wildlife moving in the background create an experience that feels very real. The protagonist's movement feels very natural and smooth and the controls and response time are perfect. Also, the absence of a HUD, really enhances the world coming to life. The combat is decent along with the gameplay in between the combat. The thing that really makes this game stand out is how well everything seems to flow together. The game just feels very natural and easy to play as if it was a game made out of a dream. Downsides for me was because its combat was turn based, it could get kinda repetitive. Having played many turn based rpgs, I'm a bit tired of them when there is a lot of enemies. Your enjoyment of this game will depend on how much turn based action you can stand. Also, the crafting gems system can be kind of confusing and annoying. I love the atmosphere, but wish the gameplay was more than just collecting gems and potions and generic turn based combat. Give it a try though if you like the atmosphere of the world. Expand
  3. Feb 24, 2016
    I am not a fan of turn based games, or whatever this is, but I must admit I did enjoy this game, in spurts lol It starts out easy but half way through the challenge quickly escalates, which is good I guess because it started to get boring killing everyone so easily, the combat can get repetitive (especially when your trying to get some XP) but there are nice environmental puzzles to changeI am not a fan of turn based games, or whatever this is, but I must admit I did enjoy this game, in spurts lol It starts out easy but half way through the challenge quickly escalates, which is good I guess because it started to get boring killing everyone so easily, the combat can get repetitive (especially when your trying to get some XP) but there are nice environmental puzzles to change up the pace, besides that its bare bones ... Even though there is Killing it does not feel very violent at all, your basically hitting monsters with magic from far away, so personally I would buy this for a child. It seems perfect for a 12 year old or something. The story is good enough for an adult to enjoy enjoy, but its basic enough for a child to understand... Overall I score this game Above Average because I expected a little more, a little more story, more exploration, its a very basic game, If It was $60 I would give it a 4! But for 15$ Its definitely slightly above average, its worth it just to enjoy the beautiful graphics! Expand
  4. Dec 12, 2015
    Adventure? RPG? Platformer? Turn based strategy? Story? I'm not sure this game knows either.

The game is basically two genres mixed together. A platforming adventure at heart with quick turn based combat when you engage enemies. Unfortunately it is not particularly good at either. The platforming is easy and uneventful with some nice puzzles and cut scenes to mix it up. The platforming Occasionally has you miss attacking objects or negotiating windy tracks, But thats about it, nothing too interesting, difficult or new.

The combat is where the gameplay is really at. Quick turns means you have to plan your next attack but it does pause before you commit your action allowing you to think about what's best to do. Some actions/attacks are faster and allow you to 'interrupt' enemies slower casting attacks. But that's about it. Once you have worked out the best combo then all is needed is to repeat it over and over until victory. Nothing amazing.

The story and characters are childish but dull so I'm not sure of what age it was aimed at. It was neither offensive, enlightening, funny or captivating but it is east to follow.

It's an open world map but it might as well be linear as there's only really two directions to travel: left or right.

Just screams of averageness. It's good for a small developer I guess but it's not ground braking like FTL or Minecraft. Anybody who has rated this a 1/10 or a 10/10 clearly has no idea how to rate a game and needs ignoring.

1. Oct 22, 2014
    The world needs more games like this.
  2. Official Xbox Magazine
    May 30, 2014
    And as a whimsical, sweet-natured tale of a princess who learns she must earn her right to return home, it's a warm-hearted departure we found difficult not to embrace. [July 2014, p.68]
  3. May 12, 2014
    If you have a small interest in role-playing games, Child of Light comes highly recommended.