7.4

1. Dec 30, 2010
    It's simple, scary fun. As I am writing this review, Microsoft has already shut down the original Xbox online servers, so I can't play co-op or multiplayer. That's a shame because the production of the single-player is fantastic, so I would assume that the other modes would be great too. Repetitive scenery is probably my only gripe, otherwise the gameplay is awesome.
  2. Mar 22, 2011
    doom is the game that really took the hole FPS game and shot it off into the huge genra it is today. it deffinitly changes the formula abit and im alittle mixed on it . doom was well known for its massive hordes of enimys you will be shooting your way through. in this version not alot of enimys but the game is set up to be more chlostrophobic and darker and make you worry about runningdoom is the game that really took the hole FPS game and shot it off into the huge genra it is today. it deffinitly changes the formula abit and im alittle mixed on it . doom was well known for its massive hordes of enimys you will be shooting your way through. in this version not alot of enimys but the game is set up to be more chlostrophobic and darker and make you worry about running into a enimy . it works for the most part and is still a fun game but you never get that dozens of enimys charging out at you moments like in prevous doom games . still i enjoyed it . Expand
  3. Oct 12, 2011
    Are you looking for a super enjoyable shooter that will give you one heck of a challenge? or are you looking for a good survival horror game? well no matter which one of the two you are looking for if you have an original Xbox still this is the game for you, it's really challenging as enemies are smart and tough, and supplies like ammo, health, and armor are limited, but the game neverAre you looking for a super enjoyable shooter that will give you one heck of a challenge? or are you looking for a good survival horror game? well no matter which one of the two you are looking for if you have an original Xbox still this is the game for you, it's really challenging as enemies are smart and tough, and supplies like ammo, health, and armor are limited, but the game never feels too hard do to the weapons pack a satisfying punch, while it's a fantastic FPS, it's only a good survival horror game, the creepy deserted space station is a fantastic setting and really does give you goosebumps when you enter a hallway covered in words written in blood, but it's not really scary in the sense that you'll be like OMG MONSTER!!!! or OMG WHAT WAS THAT!!!! although the game does try this with things that jump out at you, those never really frightened me (only one caused me to jump), the scary part is that your almost without ammo, have low health and armor, and a demon is charging right at you, also the sound design is fantastic, every creak and groan you here will have you looking all around for a demon, and the weapons sound fantastic, and the audio logs you'll find are extremely well acted out, the story isn't really all that deep, basically a portal to hell has been opened on Mars and your a super tough space marine who has to set things right, and the game ends rather abruptly, I never realized I had beaten the last boss until the credits had started to roll, and there is some lag when you try to bring up your PDA and the pause menu, and there is obviously no more online multiplayer, but these flaws are minor in comparison to what may be one of the greatest first person shooters of all time. Expand
  4. Jun 25, 2011
    I've had this game sitting around for a while, and I finally decided to give it a go. The game seemed really simple but immediately had me hooked and made me sit through it all in one sitting. It had some cool guns and the fighting was fun and really frequent. The game never scared me, but that's just because I'm not easily scared by a lot of things. The enviroment was kinda lame with manyI've had this game sitting around for a while, and I finally decided to give it a go. The game seemed really simple but immediately had me hooked and made me sit through it all in one sitting. It had some cool guns and the fighting was fun and really frequent. The game never scared me, but that's just because I'm not easily scared by a lot of things. The enviroment was kinda lame with many shades of grey and brownish red all the time. The worst part was the lack of a checkpoint and respawn system and the fact I had to quicksave frequently to make sure I didn't lose too much progress only to have a fat loading screen greet me every time I died. This version makes me want to try out the PC version even more. Expand
  5. Mar 27, 2012
    Oh man was I excited when I finally got my hands on this game. I've been a die-hard Doom fan since I was 4, watching my dad play and cheering him on. The originals still make me scream like a little kid and nearly throw my laptop away when a monster suddenly appears in front of you. Doom 3, however, didn't feel much like a Doom game. I feel like they focused too much on a scary atmosphereOh man was I excited when I finally got my hands on this game. I've been a die-hard Doom fan since I was 4, watching my dad play and cheering him on. The originals still make me scream like a little kid and nearly throw my laptop away when a monster suddenly appears in front of you. Doom 3, however, didn't feel much like a Doom game. I feel like they focused too much on a scary atmosphere (which they did very well, mind you) rather than trying to stay true to the originals. But, it is still a great game. Probably the most frustrating aspect is that you can't have your flashlight and gun out at the same time. FIND SOME DAMN DUCT TAPE. Thank god they fixed that problem in Resurrection of Evil. I also really wished I had access to the super shotgun to wreck everything in my path like I did in Doom 2. But, the monsters were a nice revamp of the original designs of the monsters. I especially enjoyed the Hell Knights. I LOVED the carnage the chaingun brought about. The chainsaw? Everything fell before me. No living being stood a chance. Best part? Going to Hell. The Cherubs were the most terrifying thing I have ever experienced... This game is great, I definitely recommend this game. Expand
  6. Sep 27, 2013
    Rather underwhelming when compared to the first two games. Visually it was breathtaking on the Xbox when it first came out, sound and score created a nice creepy atmosphere. Gameplay feels a little dumbed down most of the time, trying too hard to supplement jump scares for the heart pounding action of the previous games.

Overall: While it was a good attempt to bring Doom to the modern

Overall:
    While it was a good attempt to bring Doom to the modern age, it sacrifices too much of what made the first games great: Fear inducing non-stop action.
  7. Jul 11, 2013
    Probably the best FPS on the XBox. Games like Dead Space and F.E.A.R. wish they are this awesome. Everything about Doom 3 is excellent. Naturally the graphics are killer, the sound design is freaky, and the attention to detail is ridiculous. It's not the most frightening game you'll ever play, but it's still good for a few scares here or there. A definite must own for any FPS fan.
  8. Apr 28, 2013
    Great game will be one of the greatest horror games of all time great transformation from arcade to fps the only bad thing is they should have had a weapon with the light for how much you have to use it they fixed it in ROE though
  9. Nov 16, 2013
    i got bfg edition for pc, but the xbox 2005 version of doom 3 was the best. i had my original copy from hollywood (out of business for 6 years) and i still get sad sometimes that it just disappered on me. just looking at the cover reminds me of the day i bought it with driver 3 almost 10 years ago.

1. Grabs you by the throat and doesn't let go until your eyes bulge, your face turns blue, and your heart thuds against your rib cage like a charging rhino... Screw the PC version. This feels like the game Xbox was always meant to host. [Feb 2005, p.81; NOTE: 1UP's Doom 3 review is simply XBN's review republished without credit.]
  2. Doom 3 won't win prizes for originality, but for low-key storytelling combined with all-out action and immense atmosphere, it's deserving of any shooter fan's time.
  3. If there's light beyond the fringes of Doom 3 multiplayer, it's the eternal flame of id's past: the perfect emulations of "Ultimate Doom" and "Doom II."