Grabbed by the Ghoulies Xbox

7.3

1. KrisN.
    Jan 17, 2004
    Trash, pure and simple. I was always in the small "Rare sucks" camp, and this game if anything seems to prove my point. Rare's games are tossed-together grabfests with 227 various sorts of items that open doors, unlock secrets, or open crappy minigames; and let's not forget the cartoon eyes on any and all inanimate objects. Fights are always repetive and enemies are extremely Trash, pure and simple. I was always in the small "Rare sucks" camp, and this game if anything seems to prove my point. Rare's games are tossed-together grabfests with 227 various sorts of items that open doors, unlock secrets, or open crappy minigames; and let's not forget the cartoon eyes on any and all inanimate objects. Fights are always repetive and enemies are extremely cheap, killing you quickly and forcing you to backtrack. Making the player backtrack to increase game time is an outmoded design technique that really needs to curl up and die. If Rare continues to put out this kind of shovelware they very well might. Expand
  2. CooperSucks
    Jul 22, 2004
    Rare is now known for 3 games. The amazingly addicting Donky Kong Country for GBA, the awesome goldeneye for N64 and the worst game ever Grabbed by the ghoulies for Xbox. The graphics are amazingly bad, the controls are cursed, and the gameplay is awful. The only fun I had with this cursed beast is kicking the butler in the ghoulies, making cooper (the amazingly dorky protagonist) hump Rare is now known for 3 games. The amazingly addicting Donky Kong Country for GBA, the awesome goldeneye for N64 and the worst game ever Grabbed by the ghoulies for Xbox. The graphics are amazingly bad, the controls are cursed, and the gameplay is awful. The only fun I had with this cursed beast is kicking the butler in the ghoulies, making cooper (the amazingly dorky protagonist) hump plants an whatching his a$$ get kicked by the bada$$ imps. Those little dudes kick a$$! Expand
  3. Sam
    Jun 25, 2006
    A horrid, ugly, dorky, and nonetheless repetetive disaster that is nothing more than a collection of poor gameplay elements left completely unrealized.
  4. Uter
    Jan 14, 2004
    I believe this is the worst Rare game ever made. The combat is ultra repetitive and boring to begin with. But even with all that, it's still got a great and fun style to it. But the gameplay is what matters, and it's terrible here.

#45 Most Discussed Xbox Game of 2003
#3 Most Shared Xbox Game of 2003

1. Weekly Famitsu
    8 / 7 / 8 / 8 - 31 silver [Vol 803; 7 May 2004]
  2. One of the most refreshing, fun and downright brilliant games I've played this year.
  3. Edge Magazine
    Overall the greatest disappointments is the lack of any sense of exploration or accoplishment. And although the mansion is packed with wonders, there's no feeling of discovery since the game manoeuvres you neatly from one room to the next. It adds up to a world in which you never feel truly connected. [Christmas 2003, p.111]