8.3

1. Uter
    Sep 10, 2004
    Bas is correct, the melee combat is garbage. It truly is slow, unresponsive, and just plain frustrating. What makes this game decent is it's atmosphere, and crazy story.
  2. JesseS.
    Jun 19, 2005
    A fair game. The graphics are simply amazing, thats one of the main things this game has going for it. The character models are lifelike, and the environments are lush and vivid. The gameplay goes in a few new directions for Silent Hill, but can all of the backtracking can be extremely tiring. Sound is just as great as it is in any Silent Hill game. A good game for fans of the series, but A fair game. The graphics are simply amazing, thats one of the main things this game has going for it. The character models are lifelike, and the environments are lush and vivid. The gameplay goes in a few new directions for Silent Hill, but can all of the backtracking can be extremely tiring. Sound is just as great as it is in any Silent Hill game. A good game for fans of the series, but definitley not one to introduce you to Silent Hill. Konami had a great idea in mind, and they were close to executing it correctly, but there are some flaws that take away from the experience. Expand
  3. Bas
    Aug 16, 2004
    I played the beta, which is like 99% as good as the full version. First of all, the gun selection is terrible. I'm near the end, and the only guns I found were a simple handgun, and a powerfull revolver, and I'm pretty sure I checked everywhere. Where's the shotgun? The machinegun? To make up for this loss, Konami has put in lots of melee weapons: Golf clubs, baseball bats, I played the beta, which is like 99% as good as the full version. First of all, the gun selection is terrible. I'm near the end, and the only guns I found were a simple handgun, and a powerfull revolver, and I'm pretty sure I checked everywhere. Where's the shotgun? The machinegun? To make up for this loss, Konami has put in lots of melee weapons: Golf clubs, baseball bats, a rusty axe (my favorite), a sewage pipe, a wine bottle, and more. Too bad melee sucks, and I'd rather shoot my opponents. Controls are terrible, your character is way to slow when in melee combat, and pretty unresponsive. Also a huge dissapointment, you don't actually go to Silent Hill. When you enter the hole in your bathroom, you are transported to "worlds". You have a forest world, a hospital world, and more. All these are connected via your room. I was looking forward to wandering around the SH town some more, too bad that wasn't possible... None of the early worlds (the ones I've been too) have bosses by the way. I've only ran into 1 compulsory boss. The monsters suck. ALL of them can be taken down with either 5 shots of the standard handgun, or with 1 revolver shot. And that was normal difficulty. After they're down, you need to get close, and press A to deliver a final blow, so they won't get up again. Same tactic for every monster, only some need to be stepped on twice. The only thing that kept me playing was the story, because it's about Silent Hill's favorite serial killer, Walter Sullivan. People that played SH2 will remember him from the notes you find about him. He was the guy that killed himself by stabbing himself in the neck with a spoon. I never played part 3, so can't compare the story with SH4, but the story in part 4 is better then that of part 2: it makes more sense. Special mention for the ghosts/spirits: no enemy in any SH game EVER was this annoying. You get bothered by the same couple of ghosts all the time, the one I remember best was the hillbilly one. He's EVERYWHERE. The ghosts come out of the walls at certain places. When I just want to explore a room like normal, guess what? A ghost comes out of the wall, and you have to start running. Later in the game, you get a sword to stop a spirit with. When you manage to knock out a ghost (done by doing lots of damage), you have to use the sword, and that pins them to the ground, so it can't follow you anywhere in the game until you pull the sword out again. Final say: This is NOT a good SH game. Expand

#41 Most Discussed Xbox Game of 2004
#5 Most Shared Xbox Game of 2004

1. While not all of the additional elements worked well, such as the awkward inventory limit, fans of the series and newcomers alike will still find much to appreciate and cower in terror about in the game.
  2. While there were definitely some changes to the game that I didn't care much for, such as the lack of radio/flashlight combo, perhaps the alterations were a good thing for the series overall.
  3. Dedicated followers of the Silent Hill mythology will find plenty to sink their teeth into with a solid eight-hour adventure and multiple endings, and the new "Room" mechanics and intriguing plot might even snare a few newcomers.