8.4

1. MattR.
    Aug 1, 2003
    At times infuriatingly difficult (CIA level, anyone), this game is also the most rewarding. The graphics are stunning, and arguably the best on any platform, ever. The lighting is incredible, and adds what Metal Gear lacks: realistic tension. I also enjoyed the real-life mood of the game, from the one-shot one -kill approach, to the concept of sound being a give-away, to the lack of At times infuriatingly difficult (CIA level, anyone), this game is also the most rewarding. The graphics are stunning, and arguably the best on any platform, ever. The lighting is incredible, and adds what Metal Gear lacks: realistic tension. I also enjoyed the real-life mood of the game, from the one-shot one -kill approach, to the concept of sound being a give-away, to the lack of idiotic level-end bosses. When will the Metal Gear series (and Nintendo, for that matter) grow up and realize that an espionage thriller loses all luster when after skulking around with your mullet, you have to shoot a certain character 243 times in the head in order to keep playing? That is SO 1988! Expand
  2. JesperN.
    Nov 19, 2002
    This is Game of the Year.
  3. VitalyK.
    Dec 10, 2002
    One of the best games for X-box out there the visuals are awesome if not the best ever the story mode is complex and really deep once you get into the game. There are many gadgets and weapons that changes gaming in every espect possible. The levels are long if not huge and deeply designs along with the most beautiful lightning affects ever. You could play with the curtains for hours. The One of the best games for X-box out there the visuals are awesome if not the best ever the story mode is complex and really deep once you get into the game. There are many gadgets and weapons that changes gaming in every espect possible. The levels are long if not huge and deeply designs along with the most beautiful lightning affects ever. You could play with the curtains for hours. The control is easy and not hard to get everything alse about the game that i mentioned is also great. i think this is a must have game for the year and for the holiday season. Expand
  4. BubbaFresh
    Apr 5, 2003
    8.4 user rating with 62 votes is an insult to this spectacular game.
  5. MatthijsOtterden
    Jun 1, 2003
    It's just a top game!!
  6. DerekO.
    Jan 11, 2004
    Awesome.
  7. CarloL.
    May 6, 2004
    If you give this game a rating lower than a 10, then you suck balls.
  8. AdamR.
    Dec 2, 2002
    This game is really good. It is so realistic.
  9. TomC.
    Dec 3, 2002
    This is truly a great game!!! 2 bad I only have the demo. I am getting the real game very very very very very soon!!!I play the demo like 5 times a day!!!
  10. CraigP.
    Dec 4, 2002
    In one word: amazing.
  11. PatI.
    Dec 8, 2002
    Can't imagine a much better game. It's the game I've been waiting for - Stealth, action, and realistic environments. I thought Metal Gear Solid 2 was the King of Stealth/Action but Splinter Cell has definitely unseated it - - very convincingly I might add. Whilt Halo was an excellent shooter, this game hits all the right buttons. (I like the dark environments and story line Can't imagine a much better game. It's the game I've been waiting for - Stealth, action, and realistic environments. I thought Metal Gear Solid 2 was the King of Stealth/Action but Splinter Cell has definitely unseated it - - very convincingly I might add. Whilt Halo was an excellent shooter, this game hits all the right buttons. (I like the dark environments and story line better -But Halo is great for multiplayer) Expand
  12. AndrewZ.
    Apr 29, 2003
    Perfect game. Stealth simulation taken to the extreme! Definitely a "must have".
  13. J.Hill
    Jul 25, 2003
    It is awesome, pure and simple. Those who complain about the clipping and physics (bodies going through walls) are ignorant as to software development. Is it irritating? Yes. Is it a worth-while trade off for what the devs spent their time and energy on? ABSOLUTELY! Same thing with the linearity issue. I don't like it either, but I am educated enough on games and software in general It is awesome, pure and simple. Those who complain about the clipping and physics (bodies going through walls) are ignorant as to software development. Is it irritating? Yes. Is it a worth-while trade off for what the devs spent their time and energy on? ABSOLUTELY! Same thing with the linearity issue. I don't like it either, but I am educated enough on games and software in general to understand that it was a design choice, not a short coming. When you see what the designers and devs have done in this game, it is pretty obvious to anyone with common sense why they had to design it in a linear fasion (perhaps to release it sometime this decade?). If you are tentative and may not like stealth/spy genre, go rent it. If you are into the black-ops genre, quite thinking and go get this game, you will not be disappointed. Expand
  14. JeffM.
    Dec 8, 2004
    This game rocks it changed the way I look at stealth gaming and I still have yet to play Pandora Tomorow but I know it will be good.
  15. MaccaMan
    Nov 15, 2002
    What a great game this is. The graphics are far superior to any game on any console. This game rocks. It?s better than mettle gear solid easily. This is a must buy for any XBOX owner. I love the fact that this game uses stealth excellently in conjunction with brute force. You are able to meddle with anything in the game, from radios to walls. Amazingly realistic and incredibly fun and What a great game this is. The graphics are far superior to any game on any console. This game rocks. It?s better than mettle gear solid easily. This is a must buy for any XBOX owner. I love the fact that this game uses stealth excellently in conjunction with brute force. You are able to meddle with anything in the game, from radios to walls. Amazingly realistic and incredibly fun and thinking game-play. :) Expand
  16. BradS.
    Nov 18, 2002
    Thanks a lot gamespot! I can't beleive you published that review! I am very disappointed in you, please go unf.... yourselves.
  17. HarryJ.
    Nov 18, 2002
    Splinter Cell is just MAGNIFICENT!
  18. JordanC.
    Nov 20, 2002
    I played the demo, best game I have ever played.
  19. BurnBit
    Nov 22, 2002
    Amazing! This is better than any James Bond movie!!
  20. MikelK.
    This game is so cool.
    Nov 25, 2002
    Deeper, more satsifying stealth experience than MGS. Unreal graphics and sound. Highly reccomended.
  22. JeiEl
    Nov 29, 2002
    F***ing cool game!! Game of year!!
  23. TomS.
    Nov 6, 2002
    I haven't played the full version, but I have a demo, and boy is it great. I thought Metal Gear Solid was revoultionary in all of the abilities that you have; this blows it away. Not only is Sam Fisher more of a bad ass than Solid Snake, he looks a hell of a lot better too. This game has the best graphics of any game before it. Any game! And the stealth action is the best to date; if I haven't played the full version, but I have a demo, and boy is it great. I thought Metal Gear Solid was revoultionary in all of the abilities that you have; this blows it away. Not only is Sam Fisher more of a bad ass than Solid Snake, he looks a hell of a lot better too. This game has the best graphics of any game before it. Any game! And the stealth action is the best to date; if you're not hiding you will almost certainly be killed. What a game! Expand
  24. AnishK.
    Dec 15, 2002
    Splinter Cell is by far the greatest game ever created. The graphics are absolutely stunning and the sound is spectacular. The game is incredibly imersive and the level design is better than anything else out there. This is what videogames are all about. In a word: FLAWLESS.
  25. JoshB.
    Dec 6, 2002
    J. Smile says that Splinter Cell is too linear, and then pines for Halo 2 - Well, the original Halo had arrows on the floors telling you which way to go, and locked doors that you weren't supposed to go through - hows that for linear? Don't get me wrong - I have both games and fully believe they are the two best games ever made. I'm just bothered that people knock this game J. Smile says that Splinter Cell is too linear, and then pines for Halo 2 - Well, the original Halo had arrows on the floors telling you which way to go, and locked doors that you weren't supposed to go through - hows that for linear? Don't get me wrong - I have both games and fully believe they are the two best games ever made. I'm just bothered that people knock this game for being linear, when the game type doesn't really lend itself to open-endedness? If you or I worked for the NSA, do you think they'd tolerate us working in our own manner or at our own pace? HELL NO!!!!! You get an objective, and you go out there and accomplish it, that's the way it works. As for the game itself, it is beautiful, stunning, and all of my PS2 & Vice City-owning friends are jealous and constantly begging to play it. Splinter Cell is a work of genius, congratulations to the people who made this, and good luck to Sony, you can only hope that some day, you can get a game that looks half as good and plays half as smoothly!!!!! Collapse
  26. GregO.
    Dec 8, 2002
    This game is what every video game needs to have, action, 10/10 graphics, great gameplay, and sweet story.
  27. BlaD.
    Jun 16, 2003
    It's worth the $$$!!
  30. IanC.
    Aug 12, 2003
    One awesome game! It would be a tie with MGS.
  31. JuanC.
    Nov 15, 2002
    Played the demo and I having been playing the demo over and over again because a lot of times you notice new ways to finish and to unlock extra lock doors with a limited lock picks.
  32. Alex
    Nov 18, 2002
    First one at my local EB to get this game seeing how I picked it up soon as the packages arrived. Playing about 8 hours into this game all I can say is "WOW". Not only did it surpasse my expectations but it killed my lust for all my other games I currently own. This game is the kind that makes you wonder why you wasted your time playing all those other games in the past.
  33. Zman
    Nov 18, 2002
    FU..ING BAD ASS! ONE OF THE BEST THIS YEAR!!
  34. JimS.
    Nov 18, 2002
    Wow this game is unbeliveable from the graphics to the gameplay! This game will go unmatched for a while, so do yourself a favor and buy this and forget metal gear solid 2.
  35. BobH.
    Nov 22, 2002
    This is the game that Metal Gear Solid 2 should have been. A true masterpiece of gameplay, graphics, and story. Run, don't walk, and buy it now!
  36. CharlieM.
    Nov 23, 2002
    This is a great game. metal gear solid 2 is no match compared to this game. this game has great graphics and fun game play. this game is almost as good as the mighty Halo.
  37. DrewT.
    Nov 23, 2002
    Canidate for game of the year. A complete blast and for the "4" rating, the controlls are fine. A must have for the shooter lovers. Complete recommendation!!!!!!
  38. HeweyR.
    Nov 24, 2002
    My pick for game of the year. Controls are easy, graphics are great, and it has a great story.
  39. Merxx
    Nov 29, 2002
    Totally insane cool. Its in my head !! Its in my head !! I've started looking at shadows for places to hide--- In my kitchen !! Great story ! Great graphics, Great camera control. Great everything !! This game goes to eleven (11). Halo peer, HalfLife killer. I'm making to much noise !! (You'll get it when you play the game)
  40. MatC.
    Dec 13, 2002
    Game of the year. From UbiSoft?? The world must be just about done... Fantastic, though linear play. That's what this game is - it's action w/ problem solving. If you have a short fuse, get a strategy guide. It's HARD.
  41. CannibalClown
    Dec 22, 2002
    Halo and Splinter Cell r, hands down, the best games in the world.
  42. AlexS.
    Dec 26, 2002
    THIS GAME ROCKS. Has the best graphics on any system.
  43. LilBo
    Mar 10, 2003
    Two words. Practically PERFECT! This game is incredible, beautiful graphics, great gameplay, challenging yet not too hard. My only complaint is the camera. It's rather annoying.
  44. AlexP.
    Feb 24, 2003
    Amazingly fun game! Best graphics ever, neat gadgets. My only wish is that I wish I could save anywhere, but the current system is not too bad. Some parts took me days to complete. Wish more games looked and played this smoothly. The controls could be a little more intuitive.
  45. HoraceP.
    Apr 30, 2003
    This game was one of the best I've played on the XBOX. There were some missions that were not givin enough instruction, but overall it was an awesome game.
  46. Mike
    Apr 14, 2003
    Splinter cell is a verry cool game only sometimes a bit to difficult. and bullits...... there must be more bullits in the game because i only found bullits once in the game and i am at the third or fourth mission (government building at the elevator)
  47. ChristianO.
    May 1, 2003
    The only almost-meaningful problem with the game is the limbs going through walls. Love everrything else. OPSAT isn't in color, and I wonder why. My PDA is in Color.
  48. HitmanD.
    Apr 18, 2004
    Awesome game, all the people rating it below 9 are doing so cos they sucked at it and find it too hard.
  49. 2-D
    Apr 28, 2003
    Very good game but the PC version can be better control wise.
  50. JustinM.
    Jan 18, 2004
    One of my favorite games eva. The ai could use a little improvement but the game was awesome.
  51. Vududude
    Nov 26, 2002
    Absolutely amazing graphics. The tension that the game creates had my heart pounding. I'm not giving it a 10 though, since there are a few annoying quirks in the game. But overall I'm having as much fun playing this game as Halo.

If ever there was a game to show off the Xbox, this is it.
  2. This is a very linear game, and... one can't but feel it's a wasted opportunity to limit the player's freedom in choosing how to approach a situation.
    Realistic scenarios in realistic environments add to Splinter Cell’s tantalizing world of covert operations. With a strong overall package of incredible features, the stealth/action genre has a new hero.