Tomb Raider: Legend Xbox

7.0

1. RomanT.
    Apr 15, 2006
    Well, I just finished this game the other day. Only took about 8 hours to complete. I have to say I was pretty disappointed with the ending and overall gameplay. I don't believe Crystal Dynamics managed to successfully resurrect the dying Tomb Raider. There was nothing really special about this game. The Legend just lacks most of the elements that made original games so darn fun. Well, I just finished this game the other day. Only took about 8 hours to complete. I have to say I was pretty disappointed with the ending and overall gameplay. I don't believe Crystal Dynamics managed to successfully resurrect the dying Tomb Raider. There was nothing really special about this game. The Legend just lacks most of the elements that made original games so darn fun. First of, the story did not hold my attention what so ever. It was confusing and was just there to keep the action going. The environments, even looking great, felt very linear and not all that huge. There weren't enough huge open spaces like in original games. I liked the physics involved in most of the puzzles, but they were just so darn easy and obvious. There weren't any real "thinking" puzzles that original Tomb Raider had. I like having to memorize patterns, find the right combinations and such. The Legend just had some simple push the switch to open the door type puzzles. The whole game just felt very linear and the challenge was given in small chuncks. There just wasn't any motivation to really explore the environments and look for interesting ways out. Also, what happened to the famous CG clips between Tomb Raider levels? They got replaced by a quick-time button pressing cutscenes? I would prefer a nicely done cinematics like in original games. On the positive side, I think the controls in Legend are pretty solid, maybe even too solid at times. There were quite a few parts where I passed without dying first time. So, in conclusion, I just want to point out that Tomb Raider Legend is pretty much solid game that just seems to lack a lot of magic of originals. It's definitely too short to justify the $50 price. The designers at Crystal Dynamics should've done their homework and researched the genre more. Expand
  2. Josh
    Apr 22, 2006
    Despite the hype this is just a dumbed down but pretty looking reincarnation of a once unique game. Bring back the mystical beauty of the originals, with their huge open expanses and intricate puzzles. Leave scripted choreography and combat moves to other games that do it better.
  3. Eli
    Jun 17, 2006
    The past couple of Tomb Raider games were pretty awful. The good news is that the latest game starring Lara Croft is much better than "Angel of Darkness". This game is in it's own right pretty enjoyable and worth a playthrough. It does have some problems such as generic gunplay and short length. I would have to say Tomb Raider is a little overrated but it is still fun. I'm not The past couple of Tomb Raider games were pretty awful. The good news is that the latest game starring Lara Croft is much better than "Angel of Darkness". This game is in it's own right pretty enjoyable and worth a playthrough. It does have some problems such as generic gunplay and short length. I would have to say Tomb Raider is a little overrated but it is still fun. I'm not one for puzzle solving exploration games but Legend managed to keep me entertained throughout but it did not blow me away. If your really into the Tomb Raider kind of game maybe it's worth your money but I couldn't find enough reasons to seriosly consider purchasing it. Expand

#10 Most Discussed Xbox Game of 2006

1. Every second of this game screams skillful design and the result is a liberating game world that feels open and responsive. Nearly every object in the game reacts to Lara's influence, and this applies to the gamer holding the control pad as well - it's impossible to play this game and not fall under its tempting spell.
  2. Edge Magazine
    Some may argue over what the series should have become, but what's important is that it has made that tough decision for itself, and established a rock solid foundation for inevitable, now justified successors. [May 2006, p.86]
  3. Lara gets a total makeover, delivering what Angel of Darkness should have years ago.