5.7

1. Sep 5, 2014
    I thought this was an intelligent film-made by the THINK film company no less...About a Mexican American young woman who works as a cashier in a grocery store but who wants to have a better life. Not such a strange theme when you think about it. Maybe I'm biased as someone who spent years working as a cashier because its all I could get...so I suppose that would make me identify with theI thought this was an intelligent film-made by the THINK film company no less...About a Mexican American young woman who works as a cashier in a grocery store but who wants to have a better life. Not such a strange theme when you think about it. Maybe I'm biased as someone who spent years working as a cashier because its all I could get...so I suppose that would make me identify with the film more than most people who haven't done that type of thing. Morgan Freeman plays a guy who is an actor in the film (himself?) and it adds a nice touch to the movie. Not an action movie-kind of like the indue films from the 1980's just about life in general-its worth seeing if you appreciate intelligent filmmaking. I give it an eight for not trying to be gangsta gangsta film. There are way too many of those types of films out there these days. Not every bodies life is like that. It's good someone said so with this film. Expand
  2. ChadS.
    Apr 25, 2007
    It's a canny move on the filmmaker's part that Morgan Freeman is never identified explicitly as himself(unlike Maggie Cheung in Olivier Assayas' "Irma Vep"); as the A-list star of films such as "Driving Mrs. Daisy" and "Million Dollar Baby", or else, his fame would chew every scene with condescension, when the Academy Award-winning actor picks the brains of ordinary working It's a canny move on the filmmaker's part that Morgan Freeman is never identified explicitly as himself(unlike Maggie Cheung in Olivier Assayas' "Irma Vep"); as the A-list star of films such as "Driving Mrs. Daisy" and "Million Dollar Baby", or else, his fame would chew every scene with condescension, when the Academy Award-winning actor picks the brains of ordinary working stiffs at their menial jobs(as research for an independent project that his character is mullling over). As Freeman, his interest in Scarlet(Paz Vega), an uneducated but street-wise checkout girl, might come off as feigned(no matter how likable he comes across), because his social and economic status would be too overbearing. "10 Items or Less" is a slight, a very slight confection that gives Freeman a much-needed break from playing the role of an authority figure, the guy who takes charge when the straits are dire. This is his best change-of-pace role since Neil LaBute's "Nurse Betty". And Vega(the star of "Sex and Lucia"), who de-emphasizes her god-given beauty in a similar way as Halle Berry did in "Monster's Ball", uses this opportunity to show that she can more than hold her own with an A-list star such as Freeman(Adam Sandler, whom she co-starred with in "Spanglish" doesn't quite count). Scarlet never feels inferior or servile towards this notable industry professional, even though it's implied that she should when the cashier drives the actor back to his lofty Brentwood residence. That's when it hit me: "10 Items or Less" is kind of like Morgan Freeman's "Roman Holiday". This film is an undervalued gem. Expand
  3. FranciscoP
    Jul 26, 2007
    Interesting to watch Freeman work. Cute movie. More like an appetizer than a meal. But, like the salt and pepper calamari at PF Changs, it's a pretty good appetizer.
  4. JordanD
    Feb 18, 2008
    This movie is hugely under rated. It just proves that it does not take millions of dollars and a "safe" plot line to be something great. ill admit it started off slow but it came back with laughs and an ending that makes one at first object to it but then realize how classic is was.
  5. CharlesB.
    Apr 29, 2007
    Delightful movie on location in Carson! Funny and heartfelt moments.

Ten Items or Less is not landmark cinema nor is it deeply thought-provoking, but it's smart, funny, knowledgeable about life and people, and a crowd-pleaser.
  2. Ends up having all the satisfying substance of a supermarket impulse item.
  3. Reviewed by: Robert Koehler
    Interplay between a jaunty Freeman as an unemployed movie star and the magnetic Paz Vega as a no-nonsense grocery store checker gives pic humanity and lift.