Warner Bros. Pictures | Release Date: March 7, 2008
4.6
Mixed or average reviews based on 301 Ratings
Watch Now
kublay0880Dec 10, 2012
I liked the tittle, the posters and the general idea of the movie but it seems that the pieces just don't fit, very disappointed with the final result but it was fun to watch.
Rev.R.Mar 10, 2008
Emmirch has given us an prehistoric version of "Apocolyto", with a touch of "Conan the Barbarian". It is true that fantasies are not based on truth; but, they should at least "feel true" if they are going to capture the audience. The trailer Emmirch has given us an prehistoric version of "Apocolyto", with a touch of "Conan the Barbarian". It is true that fantasies are not based on truth; but, they should at least "feel true" if they are going to capture the audience. The trailer led us to expect the next great visual and special effects film ala "300" However, we are deceived. The trailer is by far the most exciting glimpse at the film. The movie succeeds in moving me to the edge of my seat in anticipation. The grand vision promised never arrived, the action was impotent, and the story was too familiar and lifeless. Expand
JSMar 10, 2008
It was okay. Boring in some (okay, most) sections. The mammoths were cool, that seems to be universally accepted. I don't think the Egyptians were that advanced, if they even existed, in 10,000 b.c. But, heck, it's a movie, right?
JasonMMar 10, 2008
The acting was mediocre at best
AnonymousMCMar 30, 2008
What a disappointment... I was initially quite intrigued about this film when watching the trailers, but when I'd finished watching the film, I discovered that the trailers had been made well enough to cover up everything that is wrong What a disappointment... I was initially quite intrigued about this film when watching the trailers, but when I'd finished watching the film, I discovered that the trailers had been made well enough to cover up everything that is wrong with 10,000 BC. Most of the acting is terrible, the story is silly, the historical setting is totally inaccurate and some of the dialog is appalling. It's lucky that the special effects are quite decent, or it would be getting a rating much lower than 2 and a 1/2 from me. Don't waste your money on this. Watch it in a few years when it appears on TV. If you really want to... Expand
MattMcKeeverMar 5, 2008
Hate to say it, but this was a real stinker IMO. The story was filled with every movie cliche imagineable, and the climate changes the travelers go through throughout the movie are mind boggling. One minute they're in snowy mountains, Hate to say it, but this was a real stinker IMO. The story was filled with every movie cliche imagineable, and the climate changes the travelers go through throughout the movie are mind boggling. One minute they're in snowy mountains, the next they're in a rain forest, and the next they are in a desert. WHERE THE $#@* ARE THESE PEOPLE?! Expand
TomM.Mar 9, 2008
Very slow start but it gets better at the end.
JenniferK.Apr 17, 2008
I thought this film was a bit boring but it was filmed beautifully and represented human diversity well. My son really enjoyed it, but really thought that wooly mammoths help build the pyramids. I would have liked it a little more if the I thought this film was a bit boring but it was filmed beautifully and represented human diversity well. My son really enjoyed it, but really thought that wooly mammoths help build the pyramids. I would have liked it a little more if the story wasn't so "out there". Expand
RebeccaH.Jun 28, 2008
Scenery's not bad. Good if you like plots involving trekking through the wilderness.
JohnH.Jul 4, 2008
It's not academy award material, but not bad DVD popcorn fare.
2LiMar 10, 2008
The Egyptians did exist in 10 000 B.C--but blond hair and blue eyes..I don't think so, look it up--and neither did the Sabor-tooth which had LONG been extinct--this movie is way too inaccurate--but amusing enough.
SamMar 15, 2008
Before I go into this review, I want it to be pointed out that I love dumb fun. I'd give Independence Day a 10 out of 10 for fuck's sake. I can enjoy movies with bad acting and writing. But, for the love of Christ, 10,000 B.C. has Before I go into this review, I want it to be pointed out that I love dumb fun. I'd give Independence Day a 10 out of 10 for fuck's sake. I can enjoy movies with bad acting and writing. But, for the love of Christ, 10,000 B.C. has such unforgivably terrible acting and writing that good action and pretty visuals can't come close to saving it. The movie is full of ridiculously awful lines (DO NOT EAT ME WHEN I LET YOU FREE), and the atrociously wooden acting doesn't help in the slightest. Were the action fantastic (not just good) and acting bad (not terrible), then I would have given the movie a 7 and maybe rented it again. I can safely say I don't really want to see it again. Expand
JimmyW.Jun 13, 2008
Pretty lame, That girl was hot though.
LaurensJan 21, 2009
The movie had okay special effects, but forget about that. The movie itself is just so unbalanced, it really should have been a documentary on National Geographic. Plus, from another view point it's really about these two "villages" The movie had okay special effects, but forget about that. The movie itself is just so unbalanced, it really should have been a documentary on National Geographic. Plus, from another view point it's really about these two "villages" fighting, and of course, d'lay (the main charactor) really likes this girl (Camille Biel) who is called by the anicent mother [Spritual Leader/healer???) the blued eyed girl who will bring "hope". But, of course, the predictable 'knights' come and take away most of the tribe's people. [sorry,i forgot their name] so than 3 men, including D'ley must travel to find their people and bring them back... however most of the knight have either murdered most of them (at their tribe) or are now slaves. So the predictable thing happens, they are transfered to this Temple City (across a very deadly desert, oh my) and finally, god forbid, D'ley kills the emper, and gets the girl, but the anicent mother dies. Yeah, no matter how close i paid attention, the movie just is boring, despite the action. BORING. SNOOZzzzzzzz. Collapse
KeithD.Mar 23, 2008
This movie was kind of fun to watch, just don't take it too seriously. It seems this would be good movie for teenage boys (they seem to like it the best, at least). Perhaps even middle-aged men. ;-) But I agree as far as movies go, it This movie was kind of fun to watch, just don't take it too seriously. It seems this would be good movie for teenage boys (they seem to like it the best, at least). Perhaps even middle-aged men. ;-) But I agree as far as movies go, it was pretty bad. But still a nice escape to the movies. Expand
RobH.Mar 24, 2008
I was expecting a more less true rendition of what happened 12k years ago, the first 30 minutes were ok, but once i saw people riding horses everything went downhill, the authors depicted in less than 2 hours what in reality happened in a I was expecting a more less true rendition of what happened 12k years ago, the first 30 minutes were ok, but once i saw people riding horses everything went downhill, the authors depicted in less than 2 hours what in reality happened in a span of 6 - 8 thousand years. Expand
JayH.Jun 17, 2008
Preposterous movie, the plot is so far fetched and ridiculous. Historical accuracy is a disaster. The special effects aren't bad and it is entertaining in a rather unhealthy way. Unintentionally funny at times.
JakeJun 21, 2008
Hey, I wasn't looking for the next academy contender. I wasn't looking for the next 2001. I wasn't looking for a life-changing movie. I was looking for a good way to spend 10 bucks and an afternoon. I expected fun action and Hey, I wasn't looking for the next academy contender. I wasn't looking for the next 2001. I wasn't looking for a life-changing movie. I was looking for a good way to spend 10 bucks and an afternoon. I expected fun action and efficient writing and acting. I got one. I got beyond horrendous. writing and acting. I could forgive those if there was more action and if those weren't so awful. I mean, I love the 1998 Godzilla for the love of God. I also love Independence Day, The Patriot, and enjoy The Day After Tomorrow, all movies from the man behind 10,000 B.C. They didn't have great writing or acting, but they weren't so ridiculously terrible that it looks like they were practically made for mystery science theater 3000. so, next time one of you says 'OMG guys! It's not the next Oscar contender! It's an epic love story (and it's a terrible love story seems to have been written by an autistic 8 year old whose favorite movie is Apocalypto) with good action! Therefore, you must like it!' I though it had some of the most unintentionally hysterical dialouge (DO NOT EAT ME WHEN I LET YOU FREE), horrendous plot, and equally mind-numbing acting I've seen in years. But, hey, I guess I expected the next There Will Be Blood, or possibly the next Blade Runner. Give me a fucking break. Expand
MarkC.Jul 16, 2008
Tedious movie that is drawn out. Plot is weak and with all of the CGI involved, you would think they could have made this film better.
MattBJul 25, 2008
First off I read the reviews for the film and they weren't too good so I avoided the film basically. Then my dad bought it on DVD, watched it and I was proven wrong. It isn't quite a blockbuster but its not Plan 9 either. I found First off I read the reviews for the film and they weren't too good so I avoided the film basically. Then my dad bought it on DVD, watched it and I was proven wrong. It isn't quite a blockbuster but its not Plan 9 either. I found it a good, enjoyable piece of innocent fun. Expand
AdamA.Aug 14, 2008
This movie has no substance or value to it, which is the perfect thing when you're looking for a movie with no substance or value on a Saturday night.
kronJan 15, 2011
The first time I rented this movie I thought it would be really bad since its a Emmerich film and I thought Independence Day was an average movie,and he usually tells the same story in all his other movies. So I thought he was gonna use theThe first time I rented this movie I thought it would be really bad since its a Emmerich film and I thought Independence Day was an average movie,and he usually tells the same story in all his other movies. So I thought he was gonna use the same concept plot but in prehistoric version. So I rented the video with low expectation . However when I saw the film I thought it was pretty good, this movie is an amazing popcorn film its not as bland as Emmerich other films its one of his unique popcorn film. I dont really get why there have been so many reviews saying that this film is bad just because it is an inaccurate film with not much character development. Who cares if it's accurate or inaccurate One Million B.C. wasn't accurate and a majority of people liked it. The story is decent and truthfully there is no character development ,but there so many beautiful images and great action scenes that it doesn't really matter. I cant say much on the acting part because its hard to act if the dialogue makes you sound like Yoda most of the time. Other than that this movie is pretty good I recommend it. Expand
Spielberg00Nov 14, 2011
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Bottom Line: So bad, it makes Ice Age look completely factual.

Roland Emmerich takes a break from apocalyptic disaster films (well, for one film; we see the release of 2012 a year after this) to direct a ho-hum disaster of an Ice Age-set film.

Thereâ
cameronmorewoodNov 8, 2012
10,000 B.C. is certainly Emmerich's best work and showcases some very good visual effects, especially the creation of a most daunting sabertooth tiger.
DibbHansenJul 16, 2013
It has cool action set pieces and good visual effects, but the film itself lacks a good story and good acting. Overall, the film lacks and it mostly relies on visuals, which is sad...
masterjohnson1Feb 14, 2014
this film is not as bad as everyone is saying, not by far one of the best but it is worth at least one watch.
the plot is not very good but when you get to the action bits they do a good job, give this film a chance
homer4presidentMar 28, 2015
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really love this era and expected this to be a kind of realistic look at the era however it seems they've got a lot of their history wrong. I wasn't invested in any of the characters and to be honest I didn't really care if they got to be together or not. The scene where the mother dies to save Evolet was stupid and cheesy and ruined the film. The only good thing about it was the CG was pretty damn good. Expand
DoctorFilmMar 30, 2016
Conventional where it should be bold and mild where it should be wild, "10,000 BC" reps a missed opportunity to present an imaginative vision of a prehistoric moment.

With the nearly limitless possibilities provided by CGI and

With the nearly limitless possibilities provided by CGI and violence-tolerant R ratings, it would seem that, if you’re going to make an action epic set in an exotic time and place, you just need to go for it. Regardless of one’s critical opinions of individual films, it’s hard to deny the balls-out, ultra-visceral, stylistically audacious approaches of “Apocalypto” and “300” injected some fresh excitement into a long-dormant and generally derided genre.

The box office will tell its own story, but in terms of sheer impact, it seems all but pointless to make such a film now that holds back to avoid an R rating. Compared to its brethren, “10,000 BC” seems neutered, timid and unnaturally averse to showing, much less dramatically embracing the implicit savagery of its warrior characters. It even seems to put itself above addressing the most elemental desires of the teen fanbase by offering little beefcake and absolutely no cheesecake — a basic component entirely understood by the makers of the scruffy 1966 Raquel Welch starrer “One Million Years B.C.,” a film suitable even for small fry.

First big sequence is a woolly mammoth hunt meant to establish the new leader of a small mountain tribe. As impressively rendered here, the mammoths truly live up to their name, but the hunt ends inconclusively; D’Leh (Steven Strait), a dreadlocked young man considered to be the village coward, almost accidentally makes the kill and in good conscience can’t accept the two intended rewards — the symbolic white spear meant for the top hunter, and the hand of his longtime love, blue-eyed beauty Evolet (Camilla Belle).

As in both “Apocalypto” and “One Million Years B.C.,” the core of the film is a long trek into unknown territory, prompted here by the kidnapping of Evolet and other young villagers by marauding horsemen. As D’Leh, older mentor Tic’Tic (Cliff Curtis) and two others traverse snowy peaks, dense jungle and eventually forbidding desert in pursuit of the interlopers, they encounter a flock of giant flightless birds with outsized beaks that aggressively manifest the direct connection between dinosaurs and fowl, as well as a saber-toothed tiger of refined sensibilities.

Along the way, D’Leh gains the backing of a black tribe whose ranks have also been thinned by the slavers. More African desert folk join the march, so by the time they arrive at a city dominated by a towering pyramid under construction, the nomads have gathered a considerable army.

The lascivious desires of her captors notwithstanding, Evolet is being saved for delivery to the desert deity, a shrouded figure with a voice like the devil in “The Exorcist.” Gradually developing the instincts of a real leader, D’Leh bets that the thousands of slaves forced to work alongside mammoths pushing huge blocks up the pyramid will join his battle, and the sweeping shots of the back-breaking work and subsequent fighting are undeniably imposing.

All the same, in none of the film’s numerous eventful episodes does Emmerich demonstrate any skill or even interest in carefully building the drama to create anticipation or stir suspense. As with a pyramid, every sequence is just another undifferentiated block to be added to what’s already there. This happens, then that happens, with no scene-setting, nuance, grace notes or imaginative embellishment. The borderline ludicrous feel-good ending suggests that a certain African pyramid-building empire went the way of Troy.

Multiracial cast members make more impact by their looks than by any thesping efforts, although Strait has a bit of Colin Farrell’s dark-eyed watchfulness. Visual effects are of a high standard, as are locations provided by New Zealand, South Africa and Namibia. One wishes the same could be said of Emmerich and Harald Kloser’s script, which has the characters speaking relatively straightforward English, makes no attempt to develop any distinguishing linguistic characteristics and features the occasional howler, as when one warrior calms another by saying, “I understand your pain.”

This is a case where some madly primitive musical accompaniment could have set a much-needed otherworldly tone, circumstances that make the score by Kloser and Thomas Wander seem particularly banal. End credits run for 10 minutes.