8.0

1. Dec 6, 2010
    In the past 16 years he's made Shallow Grave, Trainspotting, The Beach, 28 Days Later, Millions, Sunshine, Slumdog Millionaire, and now 127 Hours. Danny Boyle is not human, he is the God of Cinema! In my lifetime I thought I would never see another Kubrick, I was wrong. Boyle is Kubrick on speed. I only wish I could be around for his entire career as I was priviledged to be with Kubrick,In the past 16 years he's made Shallow Grave, Trainspotting, The Beach, 28 Days Later, Millions, Sunshine, Slumdog Millionaire, and now 127 Hours. Danny Boyle is not human, he is the God of Cinema! In my lifetime I thought I would never see another Kubrick, I was wrong. Boyle is Kubrick on speed. I only wish I could be around for his entire career as I was priviledged to be with Kubrick, but to quote Warren Zevon - "Enjoy every sandwich" I will Mr. Boyle, I will. Expand
  2. Dec 12, 2010
    Althought this film mainly sustains itself by the editor's work, James Franco delivers the performance of a lifetime. Finally Boyle's versatility has paid off.
  3. Dec 4, 2010
    Excellent story. Beautifully shot. Great acting by James Franco. Uplifting theme. Very, very intense. The guy the seat next to me passed out from the intensity. Not for the squeamish.
  4. Jan 28, 2011
    Unbelievable. I'm absolutely speechless. The viewer is witness to Aron's disintegration over time perfectly. Conceptually, this movie had the makings of a boring story. It was anything but. I was riveted each minute.
  5. Mar 12, 2011
    "Intense , Brilliant , one of the most spectacular and powerful films you will ever seen , about a man stuck between a rock and a hard place , boldly goes where no film has gone before , dare you not to be moved or Touch this film just cracked one of my fav movies of all time!" .. A++
  6. Dec 5, 2010
    Surreal movie with a nearly flawless performance by Franco. The magic of the book was captured in gripping detail. Inspiring and beautiful to watch. Really no negative criticisms. Simply divine.
  7. Nov 20, 2012
    One of the best films I have ever seen. If you didnt like it its because you didnt get it, and because you are completely retarded. Knowing the premise of the film gives you absolutely no idea as to what this film is actually about.
  8. Nov 6, 2010
    RyanGee and many reviewers have pinpointed the reason this film will be so successful and a contender for the Oscars. Add equal parts of Danny Boyle's energetic concept, cinematography, editing and Rahman's music, stir and splash in a hefty portion of James Franco's incredible acting chops. I consider this to be part of the upper tier of 2010's top 10.
  9. Jan 7, 2011
    What a true inspiring movie based on the mountain climber named Aron Ralston (played by James Franco), witch is arm got trapped by a fallen bolder in an isolated canyon in Utah. The next days, he goes throw misery will trying to escape, also reviewing his life and express his deep feeling to his love ones by filming himself. Wow, I gotta say, this is one outstanding movie ! All theWhat a true inspiring movie based on the mountain climber named Aron Ralston (played by James Franco), witch is arm got trapped by a fallen bolder in an isolated canyon in Utah. The next days, he goes throw misery will trying to escape, also reviewing his life and express his deep feeling to his love ones by filming himself. Wow, I gotta say, this is one outstanding movie ! All the emotions and expressions are so realistic and true, even the story itself. You don't need millions of effects to make a good movie. '' 127 Hours '' proves it. An Oscar worthy right here, thanks to the performance of James Franco. It's also well written and directed of course. Definitely a must see ! Expand
  10. Mar 1, 2011
    After seeing this film I was impressed by how James Franco captivated my interest and even made me cry. Is not easy watching a film in which is there is only one person, accompanied by flashbacks and illusions. But I have to say it was brutally amazing. How the tension, desperation, and sadness reflects on one person thinking he is going to die for shore and the end is spectacular, IAfter seeing this film I was impressed by how James Franco captivated my interest and even made me cry. Is not easy watching a film in which is there is only one person, accompanied by flashbacks and illusions. But I have to say it was brutally amazing. How the tension, desperation, and sadness reflects on one person thinking he is going to die for shore and the end is spectacular, I really couldn't expect more of it. This is definitely one of the best movies I have ever seen. Expand
  11. Nov 29, 2010
    I like to judge movies based on how long after the credits I am still thinking about the film. I saw this nearly two weeks ago and I still cannot wait to see it again. Danny Boyle really pulls out all the stops for this one as a fusion of style and story that make the film far more entertaining than it should be. You may know the ending before you see it, but you have know idea of theI like to judge movies based on how long after the credits I am still thinking about the film. I saw this nearly two weeks ago and I still cannot wait to see it again. Danny Boyle really pulls out all the stops for this one as a fusion of style and story that make the film far more entertaining than it should be. You may know the ending before you see it, but you have know idea of the journey that will take you there. Expand
  12. Aug 13, 2011
    Never before has a movie made me so emotional. You feel as if you're with Aaron Ralston the whole time, feeling his pain and everything he is going through. I swear I cried a river.
  13. Dec 30, 2010
    127 Hours is a fantastically flawless film. Director Danny Boyle has brought us from the zombie infested streets of London to the slum-filled streets of Mumbai, combining stellar acting and outstanding stories to create a unique experience with each. With 127 Hours, he uses those same aspects but in turn creates an absolutely cherishable film that manages to stick with you long after the127 Hours is a fantastically flawless film. Director Danny Boyle has brought us from the zombie infested streets of London to the slum-filled streets of Mumbai, combining stellar acting and outstanding stories to create a unique experience with each. With 127 Hours, he uses those same aspects but in turn creates an absolutely cherishable film that manages to stick with you long after the first viewing. The plot involves the true story of Aron Ralston (James Franco) who, while hiking solo in the deserts of Utah, managed to find his way into a crevice where his arm became pinned against a rock wall by a large boulder. 5 days after the incident, he manages to finally amputate his arm with a dull knife and tries to find a way to escape the hellish conditions of the desert. During that 5 day period, Aron manages to scramble through his bad past memories with his father, mother, sister, and his girlfriend and he tries to figure out what problems occurred with each of them, and if he was able to fix them at the time. He also tries to stay alive as best as possible through various events that test his remaining strength. The climax which is both shocking and upsetting, truly resembles what a man would put himself through in order to survive the inevitable. The finished product is so relentlessly breathtaking that you're literally at a loss of words when the credits roll by. Danny Boyle's directing is top-notch that include scenes of the beautiful Utahan deserts to the jaw dropping visuals of the graphic amputation scene that combines itself with ear piercing music that signifies that pain and agony of the whole act. Boyle makes it feel as if the audience is also trapped with Ralston, helping him fight as a means of survival and feeling each emotion he experiences. The film takes the majority of its time in the crevice with the boulder, but it releases the tension of the aspect by showing the flashbacks with Ralston's loved ones, which are actually always welcomed to help steer away from the incoming doom that Ralston will likely have to face. James Franco is simply phenomenal. Never have I ever witnessed an actor portray a character as broken, emotional, and as hurt as James Franco has. His flawless and beautiful performance is definitely Oscar worthy, if that. The story flows quickly and steadily, never jumping ahead or back at a pace that's difficult to follow. Its climax is a hard one to come by and you'll be able to tell of Ralston's coming doom as he takes his first steps into the deep crevice. 127 Hours is a incredibly flawless film. Its location is beautiful to the occasion of Ralston's predicament, ironically. Its directing is superb with its lingering camera angles and fast paced cuts. Finally, James Franco's performance is indeed one for the books and you'll become more and more attached to the character of Aron Ralston over time. 127 Hours is a beautifully written and beautifully shot film that pushes the limits and delivers one tour de force that's unlikely to be forgotten. Expand
  14. Mar 5, 2011
    I've seen this twice in the past week, I've watched a lot of documentary footage about the real Aron Ralston, and I have "Between a Rock and a Hard Place" requested from my local library. I can't stop thinking about this incredible story. The movie is absolutely amazing - enjoyable and exceptionally well made. Bravo, Danny Boyle. And James Franco's performance is so realistic and on pointI've seen this twice in the past week, I've watched a lot of documentary footage about the real Aron Ralston, and I have "Between a Rock and a Hard Place" requested from my local library. I can't stop thinking about this incredible story. The movie is absolutely amazing - enjoyable and exceptionally well made. Bravo, Danny Boyle. And James Franco's performance is so realistic and on point it's almost impossible to keep a straight face while watching - I found myself cringing, holding onto the edge of my seat even though I well knew what was going to happen, crying and grinning ear to ear when he finally found himself free. The amputation scene was gruesome, but totally necessary (and actually tastefully done, or as tastefully as an impromptu amputation with a blunt instrument can be). All in all a great story of the feats humanity can accomplish when truly tested. Expand
  15. Jan 17, 2011
    masterpiece!!!! incredible acting and directing... when the boulder first landed on his arm I thought "what now... we still have an hour left". Very creative, th only thing is that it should have gotten a wider release.
  16. Jan 26, 2011
    Better than Slumdog Millionaire, it isn't 'just a guy stuck in a rock for the whole film', the acting from Franco, as well as the struggle he faces and the time he reflects upon his decisions, is brilliantly well conceived. The music from A.J Rahman is completely immaculate for the setting, and hearing Bill Wither's 'Lovely Day' is one of the few times irony has been used so effectively inBetter than Slumdog Millionaire, it isn't 'just a guy stuck in a rock for the whole film', the acting from Franco, as well as the struggle he faces and the time he reflects upon his decisions, is brilliantly well conceived. The music from A.J Rahman is completely immaculate for the setting, and hearing Bill Wither's 'Lovely Day' is one of the few times irony has been used so effectively in recent film-making. I was shocked that Danny Boyle wasn't nominated for an Academy Award, because this surpasses his previous film. To me, it's fantastic. Expand
  17. Feb 2, 2011
    The film is so deliciously entertaining and so real that your eyes never wonder off the screen, you experiancing aarons pain and what he learns about his life, from academy award winner Danny boyle, a director who tries to make his movies so endearing and watchable-and succseeds admirably.
  18. Feb 16, 2011
    Ah, 90 minutes of pure enjoyment. acting, directing, whole package. creepy movie with soul, thats all that is needed to say. must see, 10 points without hesitation, thats what movies are all about.
  19. Mar 5, 2011
    James Franco's acting is exceptionally believable in this film. Even though he is primarily the only character throughout the film, which could draw comparisons to "Cast Away" and "I Am Legend", there is never a dull moment in the film. This can be credited to Franco's fine acting skills and to Danny Boyle's creative and taught directing style. Boyle knows just how long to let a scene runJames Franco's acting is exceptionally believable in this film. Even though he is primarily the only character throughout the film, which could draw comparisons to "Cast Away" and "I Am Legend", there is never a dull moment in the film. This can be credited to Franco's fine acting skills and to Danny Boyle's creative and taught directing style. Boyle knows just how long to let a scene run before he moves onto the next intriguing sequence, he knows the focus is on Aron Ralston's (James Franco's character) dilema, but he never reverts to Ralston just screaming and swearing at the end of every scene. Ralston has emotional flashbacks and some funny comments in the film, which caught me off gaurd because his situation was anything but funny. There are some bloody scenes, but they were more like doctor's office bloody than "Saw" bloody; plus within the context of the film (assuming you have a strong stomach) they are not unbearable and do not feel forced or unnecessary. The movie only runs for and hour and a half, but it was probably one of the most powerful survival films I have ever seen. In the end, it is a testimony to the power of relationships and the preciousness of life. 10/10 SS Expand
  20. May 6, 2011
    When Danny Boyle said that this movie was uplifting, I could not predict how right he was. The music adds so many feelings (mainly happiness) and the fantastic performance by Franco who I don't normally like but could watch over and over in this movie. To sum it up you leave the cinema with a smile that means you di not waste your money and that you just saw a great film.
  21. May 31, 2011
    Fantastic film! Amazing story! Franco gives the best performance of his career to date! Boyle is a masterful director and knows how to make a film resonate with his audience. Indeed, this is a tough film to watch, but an incredibly uplifting one as well.
  22. Aug 27, 2011
    Exhilarating,life-affirming and provocative.127 hours is probably the best movie of the year.James Franco gives a tour-de-force performance and Danny Boyle offers the perfect amount of kinetic energy to compliment the harrowing story.However the humanity and bravery of Ralston are never lost within the hyper-active scenes nor are they over-the-top in the reflective ones.Boyle has crafted aExhilarating,life-affirming and provocative.127 hours is probably the best movie of the year.James Franco gives a tour-de-force performance and Danny Boyle offers the perfect amount of kinetic energy to compliment the harrowing story.However the humanity and bravery of Ralston are never lost within the hyper-active scenes nor are they over-the-top in the reflective ones.Boyle has crafted a visually stunning,gut-wrenchingly visceral and unforgettable movie.I'm sure this story of human strength against all the odds will continue to inspire and entertain for years. Expand
  23. Jun 11, 2011
    Visually engaging, emotionally gripping, strangely aesthetically pleasing and has a bizarre feel-good factor towards the end. Danny Boyle has shown that he is still a master at his craft and James Franco has cemented himself as a credible actor and star.
  24. Sep 5, 2011
    You know what this movie is about. If the premise of it interests you, the movie will deliver exactly what you are expecting out of it. It is intense, raw, and intimate, and the direction is fantastic. It is so perfectly pieced together in such a way that allows the viewer to feel like he or she is there too. The viewer starts to feel the same emotions as James Franco's character feels.You know what this movie is about. If the premise of it interests you, the movie will deliver exactly what you are expecting out of it. It is intense, raw, and intimate, and the direction is fantastic. It is so perfectly pieced together in such a way that allows the viewer to feel like he or she is there too. The viewer starts to feel the same emotions as James Franco's character feels. That is due in no small part to his acting skills. Colin Firth deserved his Oscar this year, but I wouldn't have been upset if James got it instead. The music is also brilliant. The variety of musical styles featured within the score mirrors the variety of emotions that are expressed throughout this movie, and all of that comes together brilliantly. This was easily one of my two or three favorite movies of the year. Expand
  25. Oct 17, 2011
    127 Hours is one of the best drama film I've seen in years! I really can't say much probably because there's so much to tell but I will say that you may want to prepare yourself into a very graphical scene during the film.
  26. Mar 23, 2012
    This is a deeply moving film. It is one of those films that can change your life when you watch it, and that my friends, it what makes a movie truely great.
  27. Mar 17, 2012
    Danny Boyle has created a truely amazing film. You would think that a film almost entirely set in small hole wouldn't work but thanks to Danny Boyle's brilliant direction and James Franco's amazing performance, I could not take my eyes away from the film the whole time it lasted, and yes even during the amputation scene. It did loose momentum slightly around the middle of the film but itDanny Boyle has created a truely amazing film. You would think that a film almost entirely set in small hole wouldn't work but thanks to Danny Boyle's brilliant direction and James Franco's amazing performance, I could not take my eyes away from the film the whole time it lasted, and yes even during the amputation scene. It did loose momentum slightly around the middle of the film but it more than made up for it with such an inspiring final act that you will remember for a long time. It's not for everyone but if it remotely interests you, watch it, i'm sure you will not be disappointed. Expand
  28. Nov 28, 2012
    An almost faultlessly directed, wonderfully well-acted inspirational drama, featuring a lovely soundtrack.
  29. Mar 1, 2013
    One of my favorite movies of all time, amazing and thrilling adventure of life and death, with friendship and possibilities, this is the story of a brave man in attempt to discover the world of mysteries.
  30. Feb 26, 2015
    Late review, but I couldn't resist. This film was clearly a challenge, and not an easy one to depict.

But, it upped Slumdog Millionaire. Boyle's direction, Dodmantle's shots, Rahman and Dido, and, of course, James Franco. The film was a complete package, and it is one of the best films I have seen. A must watch.

1. Reviewed by: Damon Wise
    Jan 3, 2011
    A surprisingly fun, effervescent against-the-odds drama that offers an upbeat moral without the usual punishing survival-story clich├ęs. Not for the faint-hearted, mind.
  2. Reviewed by: Steve Persall
    Nov 24, 2010
    It's gory and gut-wrenching but strangely life-affirming.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Nov 24, 2010
    127 Hours -- just like "Slumdog Millionaire" -- is a masterful slice of four-star cinema, featuring an irresistible performance by James Franco, breathtaking cinematography, and the kind of deep, searching soul that is absent from so much of what comes out of Hollywood.