7.3

1. JobA
    Feb 22, 2009
    Stephen King,Steven King-only a great mind like his could make such a great movie.I've seen this movie 4 times and still love it just as much as when I first saw it.
  2. joeh
    May 25, 2009
    Good movie, not perfect, but very very chilling. Honestly, in a world where horror movies are much better than they are now, I may not like this movie very much, but with all the crap we have to sit through, I actually enjoyed have a film really creep me out. I though the shining was mindnumbingly boring when I first watched it. I read the book and LOVED it, so I assumed the movie would Good movie, not perfect, but very very chilling. Honestly, in a world where horror movies are much better than they are now, I may not like this movie very much, but with all the crap we have to sit through, I actually enjoyed have a film really creep me out. I though the shining was mindnumbingly boring when I first watched it. I read the book and LOVED it, so I assumed the movie would be the classic it was hailed as. Turns out it was just a kid riding a trike for half an hour and some goofy close ups of shelly Duvall and Jack Nicklson. The reason I tried this movie was actually BECAUSE of the PG-13 rating; I figured if the producers felt confident releasing a horror film that wasn't an R than they must have something good. Turns out this movie is one of the best psychological thrillers I have ever seen. It was both intelligent as well relatable, without trying to hard to have a moral theme. The movie just IS scary, playing of your emotions and inner most fears, and not the visceral ones either, your REAL fears, even the ones you may not have realized you had. Of course it's not perfect, and it drags in a few spots, But the plot twists and writing (plus Cusak's performance) make for a GENUINELY scary film. I can understand why some might think the movie was a little haphazard or not fully realized (I never read the short story, so I can't comment on that), but if you don't like it because it's not a gore fest than grow an imagination and step outside your little world of superviolence for something that ACTUALLY has substance. Expand
  3. Jan 9, 2011
    When I first heard about this Ill admit I didnt care to see it at all. But after watching it its not a bad horror/suspense movie at all. If your into horror this is diffidently a MUST watch. If you dont like horror of ghost/haunting movies you wont enjoy this at all. The images/cut scenes are awesome, the effects are legit, great cast, decent plot, you dont get to confused and pretty muchWhen I first heard about this Ill admit I didnt care to see it at all. But after watching it its not a bad horror/suspense movie at all. If your into horror this is diffidently a MUST watch. If you dont like horror of ghost/haunting movies you wont enjoy this at all. The images/cut scenes are awesome, the effects are legit, great cast, decent plot, you dont get to confused and pretty much figure it out once things start happening and the story seems to play itself out really well, solid horror movie with a good cast. Expand
  4. Apr 13, 2011
    Somewhat effective thriller with a gone-to-seed John Cusack carrying the movie pretty much alone aside from a risible walk-on appearance by Samuel L. Jackson.

Unusually successful adaptation of a Stephen King short story.
  5. Oct 12, 2011
    This film is not very scary, but it has atmosphere. John Cusack is very good in it as the skeptical protagonist who yearns for a real scare and gets it. I rooted for him throughout the film to escape the evil room that had trapped him.
  6. Dec 12, 2011
    It was ok. It took a while to really get interesting but once it did, It kept you sucked in through out the rest of the film. Solid acting as well. Just a good film overall.
  7. Apr 29, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Given that King adaptations are typically awful jokes, 1408 merits praise merely for being not abysmal. That said - it's a good little chiller that should have been great. So much is wonderful, including Cusack's droll awareness of playing the same, weary, cynical dude. The settings, the silences, the pacing - all grand, really. What goes wrong? TOO MUCH EXPOSITION, and the misleading kind. Based on the first 30 minutes, 1408 is beyond deadly. It's sadistic, vile, and very, very fast, given the self-mutilations which have occurred within it, and in mere minutes. But Cusack's experience, a few harmless phantoms aside, isn't terrifying; it's all about sadness and his personal despair. I expect more from a room that induces a maid to stab her eyes out in mere seconds.
    But - hey, it's all right. And the hotel window/ledge scenes are bloody fabulous.
  8. LauraD.
    Jun 30, 2007
    This movie will definitely hold your attention. I love John Cusack in this movie. I would say this movie is more of a "thriller" or "suspense" movie rather than a "horror/scary" movie. Give this movie a try, you won't be disappointed.
  9. ChadS.
    Jul 5, 2007
    "1408" reimagines "Solaris"(and a little "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind", too) as a horror film, which is to say, there is nothing in this ghost story that a sadist-in-training can copy. The most intense moment in "1408" is personal. Emotional manipulation is the only grotesquerie here. "1408" isn't scary, but at least it's not hokey like other films from the "haunted "1408" reimagines "Solaris"(and a little "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind", too) as a horror film, which is to say, there is nothing in this ghost story that a sadist-in-training can copy. The most intense moment in "1408" is personal. Emotional manipulation is the only grotesquerie here. "1408" isn't scary, but at least it's not hokey like other films from the "haunted house" genre. The use of The Carpenters' "We've Only Just Begun" may remind some of another Stephen King adaptation, John Carpenter's "Christine", in which "Good Golly, Miss Molly" is used to create a sense of menace. It's debatable as to which musical artist is scarier: Karen Carpenter or Little Richard. "1408" is the best old-fashioned "scary movie" since "The Sixth Sense". Expand
  10. LamyaaA.
    Feb 1, 2010
    Do you know let me tell you some, this movie realy deserve 9 because you gonna use your mined like a puzzle, so trust me it is realy something eals to discover what the hiding thing and the exciting in it.
  11. JaredB.
    Oct 15, 2007
    If you like psychological thrillers, don't miss 1408. Even an hour after watching this, there are some images that I still can't get out of my head. This was a great film.
  12. EliF.
    Oct 17, 2007
    This is simply a flat-out enjoyable summer horrorfest. It's lacking in much substance or innovation, but you can't deny that the film is just a frightening pleasure to watch. This would be nothing without Cusack.
  13. DaleM.
    Jun 25, 2007
    This movie is similar in many ways to the old Twilight Zones. You never really know what's real and what isn't. If you like the slash and gore kind of scary movies, this movie isn't for you.
  14. NickV
    Jun 25, 2007
    1408 is a throwback to classic horror. A little of everything is thrown together in this movie. Hafstrom manages to stew in some Twilight Zone, Hitchcock and that classic horror feel.
  15. JamieL.
    Jun 28, 2007
    I honestly had no idea that this movie would end up being my second favorite movie in the past two years. The trailer makes it look like it could possibly be a mediocre Hollywood film. On the contrary, this film is about 95% genuine which is pretty high considering it is an American thriller. I noticed maybe two cliches in the film, and they didn't bother me very much because I was I honestly had no idea that this movie would end up being my second favorite movie in the past two years. The trailer makes it look like it could possibly be a mediocre Hollywood film. On the contrary, this film is about 95% genuine which is pretty high considering it is an American thriller. I noticed maybe two cliches in the film, and they didn't bother me very much because I was so enthralled by the quality of the rest of the film. Cusack's performance was genuine and the film would not have been nearly as good without his unique acting style. This movie got me all worked up with excitement! Afterwards when I left the theatre, someone was shot outside; I drove off pretty fast from fear. Watch 1408!!! Expand
  16. JasonS.
    Jun 29, 2007
    I walked out of the theater wondering if I'm in room 1408. this movie rocks! Cusak completely loses his mind in 1 hour.
  17. MarkJ.
    Jul 2, 2007
    This film earns a bonus point simply because it was not at all what I expected. I walked in thinking I would get a fright and/or gore -fest but insead got a well-told story about loss, grief and faith. There is more to this movie than ghosts and ghouls.
  18. JosephA.
    Jul 2, 2007
    I really liked it. I thought it was very good. Scary, creepy and interesting. Kusak was charming and believable as well as Mike Enslin. It was kind of like watching an actual nightmare you might have unfold on a movie screen. Well done.
  19. TealH.
    Jul 4, 2007
    I really appreciated the fact that someone has finally made a scary movie that isn't all blood and gore. It's refreshing to see a movie that genuinely tries to frighten its audience, not just gross them out! Sure, it wasn't perfect, but it's a hell of a lot better than the dime-a-dozen teen slashers that have passed for "horror" movies in the past decade.
  20. DonnaL.
    Jul 8, 2007
    Not many movies can make you laugh out loud, cry bitterly and cause you to shake, gasp and scream with terror, as this one did.
  21. MatanC.
    Sep 17, 2007
    1408 is a good movie, but not a good horror movie. It starts good, but around the middle of the film we understand that it's all in the protagonist Mike Enslin's (good acting by John Cusack) imagination. He's just dreaming. It's a nightmare, sure, but can he die in a dream? He can't. Only when he wakes up to believe his dreams are true, might he die. And 1408 is a good movie, but not a good horror movie. It starts good, but around the middle of the film we understand that it's all in the protagonist Mike Enslin's (good acting by John Cusack) imagination. He's just dreaming. It's a nightmare, sure, but can he die in a dream? He can't. Only when he wakes up to believe his dreams are true, might he die. And you've seen enough Stephen King adaptations to know if he will. Mikael Hafstrom is a great director with an eye for images. The melting phone, the "talking" pictures, the room looks creepy even when it's not supposed to, and the short sequence of Mike calling for help for the person in the window across the street is definitely one of the creepiest moments of 2007 horror films so far, but all of the great moments don't add up for great 94 minutes. The movie lacks the sense of danger that is so important for a good horror movie. Average with some extraordinary moments. Expand
  22. RyanD.
    Oct 22, 2007
    This movie was wonderful. I don't what the other people's problem is, except to say that have watched too much modern "horror" movies and have become desensitized. Look, the bottom line is THIS IS NOT HORROR. Which is good, because the horror movies lately have no concept story or suspense. They think good films are measured in buckets of blood and bodycount. This movie is a This movie was wonderful. I don't what the other people's problem is, except to say that have watched too much modern "horror" movies and have become desensitized. Look, the bottom line is THIS IS NOT HORROR. Which is good, because the horror movies lately have no concept story or suspense. They think good films are measured in buckets of blood and bodycount. This movie is a suspense, and it does a great job. Expand
  23. PeterJ.
    Oct 24, 2007
    Fantastic movie. One of the best scary movies I've seen in a long time. And the secondary story of his life is riveting. A must see for those of us who still have an attention span.
    Jun 21, 2007
    This movie was honestly terrifying. A Brilliant script, topped of with excellent acting make this highly entertaining horror film one hell of a ride.
  25. PaulO.
    Jun 24, 2007
    A very scary, creepy horror movie. It basically is man vs. room, and boy, that room plays dirty. May not make complete sense logically, but who cares, its a horror movie. If you feel like being frightened for a bit, go see this movie.
  26. JoshS.
    Jun 24, 2007
    It was really good horror film if u like Stephen King u will like this. If your the person who likes all that gore in horror films then u won't like this because there is not a lot of gore in this.
  27. JeffF.
    Jun 25, 2007
    Creepy and effective, not at all like the splatter films of recent years. Great performance by John Cusack.
  28. KurW.
    Jun 25, 2007
    One of the best horror movies I've seen in recent months. I really enjoyed it.
  29. mikek.
    Jul 23, 2007
    This movie really messes with you. In a good way. It was very nice to see a horror movie that wasn't gore-driven. It really had character. Michael Enslin is a truly memorable character and was brought to life very nicely thanks to Cusack's acting ability.
  30. DavidK.
    Sep 1, 2007
    Great film if you ask me, a little weird and at a few bits u may be confused but, seriously not many films of recent or past made me jump or be scared like this one did, Now don't call me a wimp because I'v seen my fair share of horror's as I am a horror fanatic and have seen many many many horrors.

1. A deft Stephen King freak-out.
  2. Reviewed by: Stephen Farber
    Even with its flaws, 1408 deserves to be appreciated by connoisseurs of acting and bravura filmmaking.
  3. Reviewed by: John Anderson
    For star John Cusack, it's a perfect fit.