7.2

1. DaveB.
    Mar 7, 2006
    This Movie is so predictable that I felt no suspense or surprise in this movie. The film is very unoriginal and the cops chasing Willis seem to always guess the right place to look and this makes this film absolutely unbelievable. Mos Def is good Willis I expect Better.
  2. BRB
    Jul 11, 2006
    My friends and I rented this to pass the time, and it made 99 minutes seem like an eternity. Mos Def, usually entertaining, was excruciating. That voice? C'mon! The plot was textbook corrupt cop BS and the "twists" were no better. Even the car chase seemed like slow motion. If you look at the reviews, the only thing people liked about this movie was that Bruce Willis looked old and My friends and I rented this to pass the time, and it made 99 minutes seem like an eternity. Mos Def, usually entertaining, was excruciating. That voice? C'mon! The plot was textbook corrupt cop BS and the "twists" were no better. Even the car chase seemed like slow motion. If you look at the reviews, the only thing people liked about this movie was that Bruce Willis looked old and unhappy. If you looking at depressed old dudes, this one's for you. Expand
  3. TreyB.
    Apr 17, 2006
    My girlfriend fell asleep after 20 minutes. Bruce Willis should do another die hard or something.... and MosDef was funny but annoying after a while. It's a SOLID 4 outa 10....
  4. Mar 5, 2013
    Lost opportunities all around on this uninteresting film.
    What opens strong with the promise of interesting characters whose personal life will create uncountable chances for complication of a tale that sports an interesting premise, soon dives into the murky depths of mishandled stories.
    Lost opportunities all around on this uninteresting film.
    Every decision made on action pieces, character development and sequence of events seems to be the wrong one. Complications are either forgotten, resolved fast and simply or avoided altogether (as are sense and logic for that matter).
    Richard Donner shows at several points that he is a very good director, specially during the wonderful sequence where the first shots are fired, but those moments soon dry out in the sterile ground of the uninspired and clumsy screenplay.
    Bruce Willis manages to interpret his run-down cop convincingly, even at the more ridiculous moments, but all the points he gains for the flick are lost every single time his counterpart played by Mos Def opens his mouth. I've seen Mos Def in "Be Kind Rewind" and I don't remember having disliked him so violently, but in this film his every rendering of dialog is gut-wrenching turning him into a Jar-Jar-Binks-esque figure.
    Overall a sad experience for which I'd say that the cost of the viewing should be the deciding factor for avoiding or not this film, and only if you reaaaaaally like Bruce Willis movies and need to fill a gap on all you've seen from his filmography.
    Mar 18, 2006
    This movie doesn't lack solid acting or characters. Instead it lacks the most important element for any movie to be enjoyable... PLOT. I'm sorry if I feel that running around like a damn fool in a city filled with traffic and construction while putting a screeching halt all the action is a stupid movie... but I do.
  6. JasonS.
    Feb 17, 2007
    A film made for no other reason than to make money. A waste of everyone's time and talent.
  7. DemitraM.
    Mar 9, 2006
    Cosidering that Bruce Willis is in it, it could have been a lot worse. Predictable and obvious.
  8. SindyT.
    Jul 13, 2006
    [***SPOILERS***] Waste of time. I COULD NOT get past the stupidity of it all. Jack had a phone.. couldve called ANYONE - mayor, DA, NBI to let them know he was being hounded by dirty cops attempting to kill his prisoner. Mos was surrounded by 100 officers 94 of whom didnt want to see him dead. No one was gonna shoot... HE should've told ALL of them instead of getting back on the [***SPOILERS***] Waste of time. I COULD NOT get past the stupidity of it all. Jack had a phone.. couldve called ANYONE - mayor, DA, NBI to let them know he was being hounded by dirty cops attempting to kill his prisoner. Mos was surrounded by 100 officers 94 of whom didnt want to see him dead. No one was gonna shoot... HE should've told ALL of them instead of getting back on the bus... Jack had a phone on the bus.. and once again missed ANOTHER opportunity. I had to walk out, couldn't even finish watching.. has only happened one other time. Expand
  9. Dec 19, 2010
    If your into an endless chase movie without any real plot or substance than this movie is for you. The movie runs forever without any fluidity to the storyline. Bruce willies, an over the hill detective, is forced to chose whether his going to line up with his old squad and eliminate a witness that is about to bring a lot of â
  10. Feb 20, 2012
    All right, seeing as how the amount of blocks to travel is irrelevant to the actual plot, let's use that logic and assume that 16 is an arbitrary figure used to quantify anything on an immeasurable scale. Got it? Okay, let's begin -- this film has a grand total of: 16 lines of awful dialogue, 16 unmemorable characters, 16 boring action sequences, 16 predictable plot twists, 16All right, seeing as how the amount of blocks to travel is irrelevant to the actual plot, let's use that logic and assume that 16 is an arbitrary figure used to quantify anything on an immeasurable scale. Got it? Okay, let's begin -- this film has a grand total of: 16 lines of awful dialogue, 16 unmemorable characters, 16 boring action sequences, 16 predictable plot twists, 16 uninterestingly shot scenes, 16 terrible songs in the soundtrack, 16 cliches... Hell, if this film had 16 scriptwriters penning 16 script drafts, maybe it wouldn't be so bad! 16/10. Collapse
  11. JJu
    Jul 27, 2006
    can't stand mos defs voice for more then a minute.
  12. Apr 9, 2011
    What a crap movie. No plot, stupid (if any at all) storyline. The whole time I was thinking 'why don't they just grab a cab, duck in the back seat, and get it over with ? And why would he walk around with this guy in broad daylight, in the middle of the street, for everyone to see them both ? Boring, predictable, sleep inducing...

1. Although much of the plot defies credulity, Richard Donner directs the odd-couple action drama with a nimble facility that draws viewers in.
  2. Reviewed by: Robert Koehler
    Not that it ever rises to the level of Sidney Lumet's Gotham police pics ("Serpico," "Prince of the City"), but 16 Blocks does raise the banner for the tradition of the textured urban cop drama, spurred by action but made substantial by characters at crossroads.
  3. Reviewed by: David Edelstein
    A happier surprise is the smart work of director Richard Donner: 16 Blocks is all jumble and jangle--crowds, snarled traffic, and discordant car horns. The scariest moments have no music.