8.4

1. Feb 1, 2011
    The greatest epiphany? That the monolith represents the film screen itself, with its black rectangular appearance. And that the monolith is also depicted as the catalyst for change only encourages the notion that we actually evolve as we watch ourselves on the screen, and furthermore, BECOME what we see. And that's what 2001 is ultimately about; becoming. Constant becoming. Constant becoming through endless mediation. What will become of you when the credits finally roll? I, for one, became a pretentious film critic. Expand
  2. Oct 9, 2010
    This is movie as art in its fullest and most stunning format. How Kubrick made this look so futuristic in the year of 1968 it beyond me and probably most people on this planet. How much is covered in the short span of this film. It might just be the only film that seems to cover the whole history of the universe in a film. Michelangelo, Shakespeare, Oscar Wilde, KUBRICK.
  3. Oct 10, 2012
    2001: A Space Odyssey is an amazing science fiction film with astonishing, timeless effects. The movie manages to be quite terrifying without the use of action sequences or monsters (as is the want of modern sci-fi). Fear and wonder of the unknown makes for quite the potent mix. I love the fact that the ending is so inscrutable. It leaves you startled and uneasy with a total lack of understanding. But that's the way the universe is; totally beyond our understanding. Expand
  4. Aug 4, 2011
    I had the good fortune of seeing 2001 in its first release at a fully decked-out cinerama theater when I was 11 years old --really the perfect age of wonder for such an imagination inspiring movie. It blew my mind along with everyone else's, and even at that young age I knew that with this film everything about motion picture storytelling had suddenly changed. Amazingly, the movie still holds up, particularly visually. It doesn't suffer the fate of most science fiction films --2001 will never be seen as "retro". Expand
  5. Fan
    Jul 17, 2011
    I would just like to comment on the amount of dumbasses out there. I just watched this movie tonight which was made in 1968 by the way, and I am so blown away by this movie, that I am just really in awe of the amount of people that gave bad reviews. They just dont get it. Its probably not the best movie made in terms of effects but the message,captivation, the perspective , and intrigue of this movie by the best director who has ever lived (in my opinion) is so awesome, that Im still crapping my pants about it. To all of you idiots out there open your freaking eyes! Thanks Stanley.. Expand
  6. Oct 8, 2011
    This film is one of the cinema masterpieces. The soundtrack is sublime and besides the plot has a significance that few films have. Good special effects too.
  7. Oct 7, 2012
    It doesnt make any sense!!!! It's hard to understand the story, and it's too long and it has some unnecessary parts, therefore it looks like they prefer the worst scenes. I just gave it a 9 becuase this is not a movie, it is a psychdelic experience, a outrageous epiphany. It must be aprecciated with patience and open-mind.
  8. Jun 18, 2012
    A brilliant sci-fi epic about the evolution and devolution of mankind, 2001: A Space Odyssey is filled with haunting imagery, nuanced performances, and a profound agenda wrapped around the ambiguity of space and the unknown.
  9. Jan 11, 2013
    I give this film the highest rating, but I am still not sure if I like it. This film is intriguing, visually spectacular, and one of the most ambiguous I have seen. Its lack of dialogue can make a viewer seem disconnected, and some sequences with humans are disturbing in their lack of emotion, but maybe that was a point Kubrick was attempting to make. In the film, humankind is shown to have essentially taken the place, emotionally, of their machines, who seem to be more human than they. Maybe, in conclusion, the philosophy of this film is that man cannot improve himself, but only bestow higher qualities on its creations, which they can never achieve. If this holds true, perhaps those who made the monoliths were conscious of this, and tried to elevate themselves by elevating man. Hard to like, but fantastic nonetheless (if that makes any sense). Expand
  10. Sep 25, 2013
    Totally took me surprise this movie. It's so different from any movie you've seen. The pacing is slow make no mistake but for me at least it was so interesting.
  11. Aug 16, 2010
    An amazing film, a masterpiece, and easily the best science-fiction film of alltime. Kubrick never did any better than this unbelievable film, which does a rare thing; it looks as if it was made yesterday, but it challenges you intellectually like the rarest films from the distant past. This is my personal favorite film of alltime, and I would argue that it might be THE greatest film of alltime.
  12. Jul 13, 2011
    Kubrick is undoubtedly one of the masters who made cinema with this classic film. The professionalism of the special effects note that what was used in 1968 could make something seem amateur even in 2011 (note that is a long 43 years after). Anyone who does not like this movie truly has an attention span so high that it could, alone, make them seem ridiculously immature. It is also worth noting that the film was so scientifically accurate. This is still an amazing film today, one of the best of all time. But it could still be very modern. If someone even had seen portions of this film before they knew the title, he/she would predict its initial release as probably somewhat recent because of how advanced every detail in it is. Genius. Expand
  13. Dec 31, 2010
    2001: A Space Odyssey is a 1968 science fiction film by Stanley Kubrick (who happens to be my favourite director as well). Being my favorite film, I have recommended this it to almost everyone I know. This review is more like an answer to those who found this film slow-paced, and for those yet to watch it, you may continue to read this as a disclaimer to the film-

14. Jul 31, 2011
    Stanley has proved that no other director can stand next to him by this movie.The greatest epiphany? That the monolith represents the film screen itself, with its black rectangular appearance. And that the monolith is also depicted as the catalyst for change only encourages the notion that we actually evolve as we watch ourselves on the screen, and furthermore, BECOME what we see. And that's what 2001 is ultimately about; becoming. Constant becoming. Expand
  15. Jul 10, 2011
    A masterpiece unlike any other movie. The multiple stories and themes combine to make an experience that really does feel like an odyssey. This is a movie about evolution, progression and existence, although it may fly over some viewers heads. The beginning and ending sequences were particularly impressive due to the reliance on imagery to tell the story in the absence of dialogue. The brilliant cinematography beautifully captures the grace and majesty of traveling in space but also of the vast nothingness that fills it. Anyone with even a vague interest in cinema should see this movie. Expand
  16. Apr 9, 2014
    The grandaddy of sci-fi, an incomparable experience of sense and of mind. Best to approach the revelationary details of the book afterwards, allowing Kubrick's sense of style and majesty to pervade the inner mind.
  17. Apr 29, 2011
    Kubrics epic masterpiece is one of the Greatest films of all time. It examines humanity's insignificance in the vastness of the universe. If you haven't seen this film, do so immediately. My advise? watch it in a dark room, on a big screen, with the volume up loud.
  18. Jul 2, 2011
    Best philosophical sci-fi movie ever ! It's amazing how it isn't outdated yet (except from some cloth-designs and haircuts); the slowness of the film is perfectly justified here (the pace of it reminds me of "Moon" ), and not a trick to mask the complete lack of ideas like in "Monsters" for instance..I saw it when I was 17, and was blasted away, and I still am.
  19. Jul 3, 2011
    Very much one of the best Sci-Fi movies of the past decades. Amazing film and mind boggling ending. Definitely a must see film for every self-proclaimed film lover.
  20. Jun 18, 2011
    This is by far, the greatest film ever created. It is not even a film as much as it is a work of art. It is the classic Sc-Fi masterpiece. Far superior to other films said to have started Sci-Fi such as Star Wars, 2001 actually did it. Timeless, and great, 2001 is a masterpiece. It is like the Mona Lisa of movies.
  21. Jul 16, 2012
    The film works as a transcendent of genre. It is a true art film! Space Odyssey attempts to give us a sense of awe through it's great audio visual experience. To quote Ebert loosely it works in a similar way as music!
  22. Oct 21, 2011
    A cool film that I very much enjoyed watching. Exeptional directing from Stanley Kubrick and also exellent acting from Kier Dullela. It is very real considering in the scenes in space it is completely silent and the spacesuits are brilliant.
  23. Sep 7, 2011
    kubrick's 2001 is a film that when i first saw it, i hated it. i think it's the kind of film that you have to... speak it's language to understand what the hell is going on. having said that, watching the film now i have to say it's one of my favorite films. it's utterly hypnotic and that tremendous sense of everything that is unfathomable is all through the film. i really liked hal, the artificial intelligence and found it profoundly disturbing when they "killed" him. as far as the ending goes, i have my own interpretation of it, but a definite answer as to what it "means", i have no idea. but i'm not sure i want to know. it's as mysterious as the universe. Expand
  24. Sep 26, 2011
    This movie is a real piece of art, every movie director should watch this movie and realize that, make a movie is more than special effects or great actors
  25. Dec 13, 2011
    What I found wrong with this film? Absolutely nothing. Everything was very well produced. The acting, directing, writing they where all perfect. I rarely give a film a perfect five star rating. This film deserves the stars and maybe even more. I fell in love with HAL 9000. He(it) had a rather dull feel to his personality. The film did mention that HAL 9000 had feelings. Which was perfect for building up the plot. Did anyone else notice that technology was predicted in this film? Technology such as video phone, and ipads. The whole time I was viewing this film I was confused. I should have read the book. But after watching the film I did some reading online. I was like, now I get it. Genius pure genius. The monolith made me think very hard, especially at the end. My favorite part had to be the colors at the end, very artistic. With a very slow paced plot and no flaws I recommend this to anyone that is a movie literate. Expand
  26. Jan 11, 2013
    Its greatness lies in the fact that it raises many questions, but never answers any of them. The best dialogues in the film come in the form of silence - the sheer volumes they speak. 2001 is not meant to be understood. It's meant to be felt.
  27. Apr 4, 2012
    Beautiful, mesmerising, dazzling, astonshing, there really aren't enough adjectives in the world with which to successfully describe Kubrick's Sci-Fi masterpiece. Few films, if any, take the viewer on a trip like this one; it is less like watching a story unfold than like having part in a strange and beautiful experience, a journey into the unknowable. Simply put, I have never seen a film that had such a profound, emotional effect on me, and it is, quite possibly, the greatest movie ever made. Expand
  28. Sep 18, 2013
    Don't kid yourself. It isn't for everybody. Kubrick wasn't interested in mass appeal by any stretch of the imagination. He wanted to explore the depths of mans technological capacity, which meant highlighting his inherent flaws. In essence, this is a film about error, about questions. And, in the end, it leaves us bewildered.
  29. Nov 9, 2012
    2001 is the best science fiction film ever made, because rather than showing us the typical sound and light show, it instead pulls us into a world of wonder and imagination and aspires our awe.
  30. Jan 6, 2014
    Clássico máximo da ficção científica, um dos filmes mais emblemáticos do cinema.
  31. Dec 7, 2013
    2001 is a visual and audio marvel. The visual effects and the set design were decades ahead of its time, and still look exquisite in the twenty-first century. Many of its techniques were imitated, and a greater number were inspired by it.

The movie starts around the time humans came into being. Two tribes of apes clash over a pond of water. One is driven away. They discover something
    that perhaps gives them intelligence, which they use to defeat their rivals. The plot jumps into the future where a similar object, which might have been left behind by intelligent beings some four million years earlier, is discovered on the moon. A team is sent to Jupiter to further investigate the matter.

A number of themes are explored in the movie, the chief among them is our curiosity to find beings who are at the same level of intelligence, if not more, than us. In that pursuit, the humans of this future world have invented a supercomputer to assist in the voyage to the distant planet, but which eventually malfunctions and is prone to consider its logic superior. This is an early example of technological singularity depicted on the big screen.

The technology of the future world (which we still have not arrived at more than a decade after the year 2001) is dominated in outer space by the Americans and the Russians. The spacecraft carry passengers to and fro from space stations where research is being carried on.

All this mystery would have created a sense of urgency, but Kubrick downplays it and concentrates on the narrative instead of resorting to cheap tricks. This movie is not about tension and drama. It is quite clear that Kubrick, by deliberately keeping the pacing in check, wants us to have a look around the world he has created and reflect. The images are original but the music is classical, and they blend so well I couldn't help feel engrossed in the narrative.

In the genre of science fiction, there is no parallel, chiefly because other movies have concerned itself with complex ideas, and though they may have succeeded, can only be watched a limited number of times. But 2001 is such a basic sci-fi flick that it never aged. Even after more than forty years since it came out, 2001 still manages to hold its own against other films in the genre in the departments of visual effects and art direction. By keeping the story simple, Kubrick has ensured that its ideas do not become outdated, and succeeded in bestowing a timeless quality upon the movie.

He said somewhere along the lines that everyone will take its own meaning from the movie, and has made no attempt to explain the ending. This is the same approach he later applied with another movie of his, The Shining, but which in my opinion suffered because I could not see the coherence in it. But here, by keeping his ambition in check, and showing only what is necessary to the onward flow of the narrative, he has excelled. 2001: A Space Odyssey is my favourite Stanley Kubrick film.
  32. Feb 23, 2014
    Outstanding use of everything that has to do with film. Cinematography, scenery, direction, pace, dialectics, score and especially narrative. The most fascinating and thought provoking film I have ever seen. Way past 10/10
  33. Oct 13, 2013
    My favourite Science-Fiction movie of all time, Stanley Kubrick began making something that would change the face of the movie going experience, and represent a growth in the industry that only comes once in a lifetime

It's obvious to say nothing looked like this before in 1968, the moon landing was still a year away and no one knew what the earth looked like from up there. That model
    space station circling that painting of the earth is burned into my brain and perfectly transcends beyond the scope of any average Hollywood movie

The First 20 mins alone is a silent masterpiece, When at a time the world was growing so rapidly, Kubrick rewound time and showed you something so prehistoric that I also don't think there has been anything else quite like it, suddenly you're shot thousands of years into space and it's obvious that this movie really is just an accompany piece to some incredibly large scale music pieces (if that wasn't so obvious from the title sequence). The Monolith is so Arthur C. Clarke, to this day it's identity is still shrouded in mystery, does it grant knowledge or just appear at pivotal events? regardless the mystery has endured the objects charm and legacy.

Towards the final act, astronaut David Bowman fights for control over the spaceship against the HAL 9000, in a harrowing display of humanity's reliance in computers, symmetrical rooms unnerving silence all eventually builds towards the trippy Jupiter and Beyond sequence, I very much recommended Pink Floyd's "Echoes" for something truly mind blowing.

Despised on release but later praised by so many critics this film will probably never be fully understood, but whatever the hell it's suppose to be it is something truly mysterious and beautiful much like the idea of space exploration itself, it's so obvious the film is built to accompany a series of classical music pieces than it is storytelling, watching 2001 is proof respect can be brought to the science fiction genre with staggering results, dare I say science eventuality?

Final Verdict: Beautiful music, Stunning visuals and a story set throughout the years and stars themselves... Only Kubrick could have pulled this off.
  34. May 25, 2014
    Arguably Stanley Kubrick best film I have found that when it comes to 2001: A Space Odyssey people either love it or hate it I am on the side that loves it. If out of all the movies I haved watched in my life this film seems more like art then a movie. It has a beautiful soundtrack that sets the tone of the movie the ambient space tones are raw and chilling and it touted amazing visual effects for its time. The Story is a mind boggling adventure that leaves you dumbfounded.

Of course like many others I was young when I first watched this film now back then it was hard to even watch a 2 hour film id either fall asleep or just get bored of it. This movie though had another effect on me I was engulfed with awe and wonder id say it was the film that made me become the sci-fi junkie a am today. Stanley Kubrick's cinematography was simplistic yet masterful having long drawn out scene letting you embrace the full meaning of it was artistic.

For the people that don't like this film I call them "weak minded" this film takes quite a lot of thought to understand it and seeing how stupid most people are nowadays i can see why teenagers and young adults can't wrap their head around this film and films like it unless it has guns, explosions and hot chicks. Even now the film still leaves me wondering about the black monoliths.

Overall I give it a solid 10 This is Stanley Kubrick masterpiece and for good reason even today this film still holds its ground as the best sci-fi movie ever made and I think it will be sometime before a film will surpass it.
  35. Oct 25, 2013
    Forgive me for being corny, but the movie is cinematically flawless, it's effects are shocking for 1968. The first authentic sci-fi about the physics of space. Stanley Kubrick imagined and eventually created a masterpiece of cinema, with a very well-thought out HAL character. The idea of a computer being ironic and being able to beg for it's life is brilliant and unfathomable. It is the archetype of the modern science fiction film. Expand
  36. Apr 6, 2014
    The first time I've seen this movie, I was boored and disappointed, because I had false expectations, but after awhile I understood the idea behind it: This movie tells a story of the development of mankind and shows the beauty and infinity of space. When you watch it, then you must absorb the atmosphere.

This movie shows Hollywood, that a really good space movie should have an
    experience, which makes you speechless, when you think about it!

Apart from some scenes, which are a bit too long for me, this movie is wonderful. When it came out, this technology revolutionized the filmmaking!
  37. Nov 20, 2013
    some people nowadays would say that this movie is really boring and slow,i just say then because this movie is the best film that happens in the space of all time(and i guess it will stay in this post for a long time),it's just a great classic that influencesses this generation.
  38. Aug 16, 2014
    This is, hands down, one of the best sci-fi films ever, and a very beautiful one as well. Not for everyone, this slow paced, with little dialogue, but stunning visuals. Who would've thought that Strauss and flying satellites would go along so well. Great performances, great screenplay, great soundtrack, marvelous cinematography, brilliant directing and a lot, a lot more. A masterpiece, a piece of art. Kubrick at his best. Expand
  39. Dec 2, 2013
    2001 (not to be confused with the year) is a mind-blowing motion picture that blows the stars outer space with it's artistic production
    ..............
  40. Jan 25, 2014
    Absolutely astonishing. Fantastic film, despite being over 40 years old, albeit a tad slow. Very few films can stand at the level of sci-fi greatness that this films achieves.
  41. Feb 10, 2014
    In my opinion the greatest achievement in film-making, as even today it remains a standout in terms of its cinematography. "2001: A Space Odyssey" embarks you on a journey not only pleasing to the eye but equally stimulating to the mind, engaging it with philosophical questions regarding our existence, evolution and progress towards the future. A pioneer in the sci-fi genre, it remains unique in content and unmatched in visual effects, making it the ultimate masterpiece. Expand
  42. Mar 23, 2014
    Beautiful, deep and mind-blowing, "2001: A Space Odyssey" is definitely a film that needs reconsideration before blind criticism over its plot. The story is not linear and simple, but piled with lots of metaphors and symbols. The use of music is absolutely fantastic. I recommend it to everyone who loves to argue about philosophical topics and to everyone who just really like movies.
  43. Apr 26, 2014
    This film is surely the greatest accomplishment in the history of cinema both on a technical level and a storytelling level from the hands down the greatest filmmaker that America has ever produced. A film that demands to be seen on the biggest screen possible. Kubrick has practically destroyed the entire science fiction genre.
  44. Jun 12, 2014
    2001 A Space Odyssey is the very definition of poetry in film. It unfolds life a beautiful symphony with all it's notes striking in just the right place. It's the perfect example when images are more beautiful, artistic and insightful than words and 2001 doesn't have too many words and they are in no way as important as what it shows. It ranks up as one of the greatest films of all time and for the right reasons. Expand
  45. Jun 11, 2014
    After watching this movie for the first time, i was mesmerized. It's a very simple movie, yet very in depth, some may say it's boring. From start to finish you will see art at it's finest. In 1991, this film was deemed "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant" by the United States Library of Congress and selected for preservation in the National Film Registry
  46. Jul 2, 2014
    How do I begin to describe this film? It's too good for words, and it always will be! Stanley Kubrick gives us this provocative and interesting film about who we are and where we're going. It truly shows us what it is like to actually be human, and the mistakes we make.

A flawless science fiction (or science fact) film so enigmatic and chilling, its legacy still impacts our world today.
    2001: A Space Odyssey is the big bang of sci-fi and will always be the greatest of the genre. Expand
  47. Aug 13, 2014
    Absolutely a classic of film. The rich story does not give what it is about. It symbolizes that us humans are still evolving and that in order to achieve greater things, we must overcome what we know and keep dreaming. A movie that everyone one should see.
  48. Sep 2, 2014
    "2001: A Space Odyssey" is a very complex film. The first segment is somewhat boring to watch until the monolith shows up. After that, it's actually a very entertaining and intriguing film... until the last segment. The film just goes completely overboard and overly complicated when it really didn't need to be, and the Star Gate sequence, well, it's difficult to say how drawn out that part was. If the film was about 20 minutes shorter, cutting out the more boring parts of the beginning and making the Star Gate sequence shorter, it would have been a perfect experience. Expand
  49. Oct 12, 2014
    2001:A Space Odyssey manages to intrigue you every way by telling a story in a very unconventional way.With hidden messages and meanings, Stanley Kubrick's vision improved the material and gave it an artistic value.

1. This is the way this ground-breaking monument was meant to be seen: in mind-boggling 70mm.
  2. Its special effects are used so seamlessly as part of an overall artistic strategy that, as critic Annette Michelson has pointed out, they don't even register as such, and thus are almost impossible to trivialize, a feat unmatched in movies.
    Only a few films are transcendent, and work upon our minds and imaginations like music or prayer or a vast belittling landscape...Alone among science-fiction movies, 2001 is not concerned with thrilling us, but with inspiring our awe.