21 Jump Street

8.0

1. Mar 18, 2012
    The TV hit goes for laughs with Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill as two hapless cops who go undercover to bust a high school drug ring. Although there sly one-liners and a bouncy comic energy, the overall effect is more upbeat than hilarious. Tatum has been funnier and Hill does his usual shtick. The supporting cast could have been populated with zany types, but most of them add little to theThe TV hit goes for laughs with Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill as two hapless cops who go undercover to bust a high school drug ring. Although there sly one-liners and a bouncy comic energy, the overall effect is more upbeat than hilarious. Tatum has been funnier and Hill does his usual shtick. The supporting cast could have been populated with zany types, but most of them add little to the comic development (except for 2 fun cameos). This is an example of how average writing translates into an average comedy. Expand
  2. Sep 20, 2013
    If you want to see a somewhat funny movie with lots of jokes, parties, and pretty people, but has nothing to offer, than watch 21 Jump Street. It'll satisfy your Friday night of boredom and leave you with memories of when you were in high school. It doesn't have a message to offer other than don't become a cop to act like these two knuckleheads.
  3. Sep 3, 2014
    A surprisingly dynamic duo--Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill are great together. 21 Jump Street is a fun take on undercover work in the police force. Occasionally heavy on profanity, but in this case, it often works.
  4. Mar 29, 2014
    Without a doubt the funniest comedy I have watched in a very long time. Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill are an absolute laugh riot here and work perfectly together. Honestly the whole movie is just one non-stop laugh fest. The humor is basically what you would expect from a modern R-rated comedy but only a thousand times smarter. Truly one of the best comedies I have ever seen and I highlyWithout a doubt the funniest comedy I have watched in a very long time. Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill are an absolute laugh riot here and work perfectly together. Honestly the whole movie is just one non-stop laugh fest. The humor is basically what you would expect from a modern R-rated comedy but only a thousand times smarter. Truly one of the best comedies I have ever seen and I highly recommend it to anyone who is looking for laughs and doesn't mind the profane and crude humor this movie often offers. Expand
  5. Nov 28, 2012
    Almost unendingly hilarious, "21 Jump Street" is that strange kind of worthwhile comedy that presents a healthy dose of satire and nostalgia.
  6. Aug 30, 2015
    "21 Jump Street" is a delightful joy as the unusually strong pair-up between Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum will make you jump up and down and roll on the floor with laughter.
  7. Aug 25, 2012
    21 Jump Street is an over the top comedy with language like no other. Most of the time unnecessary Also there are characters that are flat ridiculous ( ice Cube). It has its funny moments but nothing that will knock your socks off. Just don't take it too seriously and you will should enjoy it.
  8. Jul 29, 2013
    I used to watch the TV show 21 Jump Street, and while it was clever, I didn't think it was anything special. When I heard they were making a movie, it peeked my interest, but the previews made it look like it would be God awful, in one of the worst marketing campaigns for a film I've ever seen. After hearing some good things from friends and being that it had a good cast, I decided to giveI used to watch the TV show 21 Jump Street, and while it was clever, I didn't think it was anything special. When I heard they were making a movie, it peeked my interest, but the previews made it look like it would be God awful, in one of the worst marketing campaigns for a film I've ever seen. After hearing some good things from friends and being that it had a good cast, I decided to give the film a shot and it far exceeded my expectations. Two of the dumbest and most immature cops on the force are sent on an undercover mission to infiltrate a local High School and find out where a new designer drug is coming from. Right from the start you could tell the film would lean more to the comedic side as opposed to the show, which was more dramatic. Going the comedic way, especially with the cast they had, was the right way to go, but much of the film was still unbelievable. Anyone who believes that either Jonah Hill or Channing Tatum could even come close to passing for High School student are completely out of their minds. Also, the speed in which these two idiots went from being the worst cops on the force to celebrated heroes was ridiculous. It would have been far more enjoyable if these guys just sorta stumbled into solving the crime, rather than all of a sudden becoming great cops. As for the cast, Jonah Hill continues to be the most underrated comedic actor in Hollywood. I have yet to see this guy do a bad movie. Channing Tatum was pretty good too, he's known more for his looks than his talent, but he fit his role extremely well. It was probably written specifically for his persona, similar to his role in Magic Mike, but he still is very good. Finally, the cast is rounded out by Dave Franco, the younger and better looking brother of James Franco, who for the very first time shows that he is more than just a kid, getting work because of his brother. He was very solid and perhaps the most believable and likeable character in this film. 21 Jump Street is nothing new, it's another cop movie that blends comedy and action, like almost every other Lethal Weapon wannabe. The story isn't better than the rest, but it is funnier than most of the other films and it has some terrific cameos. Expand
  9. Nov 5, 2012
    Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum have perfect comedic chemistry. Jump Street is flat out funny from start to finish. It just makes a good buddy movie, you know?
  10. Oct 3, 2014
    " Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum are the kings of comedy". This is an outraging comedy with full of laughter that Hill and Tatum has provided for us " 21 jump street fans". Its very funny to be honest , with loud music + good laughter = Having the best time of your life watching this film. Grade A , ( hill and tatum are perfect with out directors phil lord and christopher miller ).
  11. Aug 27, 2012
    Really funny movie with some outrageous moments. Two opposite characters and actors worked quite well together. It is nothing serious. It is just a silly movie that leaves you with a lot of laughs.
  12. Nov 22, 2014
    21 Jump Street just seemed to surprise when it was released. No one expected a film based on an average (at best) television series could ever be converted into a hilarious film. Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum made themselves mega stars in a risk well worth taking. 21 Jump Street is one of the best comedy movies that have been released in the past decade.
  13. Nov 18, 2013
    21 Jump Street was super funny. It was light, frothy, foul-mouthed and very strange... But in a good way. Even Channing Tatum is good. Yes, I know! That's a miracle! Great stuff all the way around.
  14. Mar 17, 2012
    Hill and Tatum have excellent chemistry - would love to see them in a Lethal-Weapon-like sequel. And the teachers, Ice Cube, and Hill's love interest are all funny as hell. The self-aware jokes and humility in the script give it an endearing sweetness. It just seemed like the action sequences toward the middle and end of the film ran long - I found myself getting a hair bored at times.Hill and Tatum have excellent chemistry - would love to see them in a Lethal-Weapon-like sequel. And the teachers, Ice Cube, and Hill's love interest are all funny as hell. The self-aware jokes and humility in the script give it an endearing sweetness. It just seemed like the action sequences toward the middle and end of the film ran long - I found myself getting a hair bored at times. If they trimmed maybe 15 minutes of the fat, it would have been stronger. And lest I forget, little brother Franco has a real future in the biz. Expand
  15. Mar 17, 2012
    There is not a single dull moment. It is funny throughout and as offensive as it may be, who the hell cares? This is a lot better than recent comedies.
  16. Aug 12, 2014
    This movie is probably one of the funniest i have ever seen.The jokes are stupid and there is a lot of action,If you don't like this it's probably because you don't have any sense of humour.The only bad thing about 21 jump street is the plot,he's too predictable.
  17. Jun 23, 2014
    My honest opinion was that the film is generically funny at times, but overall to raunchy for my tastes. I support vulgar comedy but when used poorly, it sounds like somebody constantly talking out of their ass. The juxtaposition of Hill and Tatum is its only saving grace, and Ice Cube. Otherwise I could have been off well without this movie made.
  18. Jan 11, 2014
    21 Jump Street can be cliché and unfunny at times especially in the last third but that does not stop it from being an enjoyable film. There is some great comedy in this movie and some hilarious moments. Also, there are some likeable characters some of which I wish had more focus. I’d recommend this film to anyone in high school or college they’ll probably love it. It’s a great high school21 Jump Street can be cliché and unfunny at times especially in the last third but that does not stop it from being an enjoyable film. There is some great comedy in this movie and some hilarious moments. Also, there are some likeable characters some of which I wish had more focus. I’d recommend this film to anyone in high school or college they’ll probably love it. It’s a great high school movie that will give you lots of laughs. Expand
  19. Jul 6, 2012
    21 Jump Street is a hilarious, well written, intelligent, heartfelt story of friendship. Featuring surprisingly incredible performances from the two leads and hilarious cameos this is a wonderful comedy. I give this movie 90%.
  20. Dec 5, 2012
    Hilarious film. Jonah Hill and Ice Cube are both good here, as is Channing Tatum who is having a great year. Sure to be one of the best comedies of 2012.
  21. Apr 20, 2013
    In a time where remakes and long time are becoming more and more of a expectation, 21 Jump Street delivers a surprisingly fresh and hilarious take on the TV show of the same name, and contrary to popular belief, this is in fact a sequel to the show, continuing with the same arc.
    Jonah Hill is on fine form as Morton Schmidt, a cop who, as a teen, was an Eminem wannabe (this is an hilarious opening to the film) in school who never became popular.
    Channing Tatum, really proving his brass as a comedy actor, is the opposite as Greg Jenko, the college 'jock' who gets what and who he wants when he pleases.
    This of course forms an unlikely pairing in their later years as law enforcers, now best friends, they happen across what could be the biggest bust of their careers but mess it up, and are transferred a the newly revived division, based of course at 21 Jump Street.
    As they are tasked with infiltrating high school all over again, they notice just how much the place has changed since they were there, and it seems their roles in school may now change, setting up the rest of the film as the two officers attempt to infiltrate and break up a youth drug ring within the school.
    Jump Street will play on the most basic and instinctive of emotions, profanity laced humour, and there is certainly no shortage in this film. Jonah Hill is certainly in the drivers seat with many of these jokes, borrowing similar scenarios from his previous films but hey, if its not broke, don't fix it.
    Channing Tatum was the surprising highlight of this film, is skills at coming across as simple and his countless attempts to come across as cool in his new role as a student all over again make for pretty funny watching.
    The plot itself does come up a little too simplistic, and there is of course plenty of over the top drama, but its all enjoyable fun at the end of the day. The film is never short on talent, with unforgettable cameos from the original TV show stars Johnny Depp and Peter DeLuise, and even the other cast members including Dave Franco, the brilliantly funny Rob Riggle and a truly hysterical Ice Cube, there is certainly many aspects of this film that make it an excellent sequel/revival of the TV show and one of the best comedies of the year.
  22. Nov 29, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie was absolutely hilarious. More than just cheap laughs though, the movie was very unique. I know, "How can it be unique if it's a rip-off of an 80's show?" Well, outside the movie title and a cameo appearance in the end, this movie feels nothing at all like the Johnny Depp show from way back when. From the plot to the character dynamic to clever mocking of stereotypes (not just individual persons but pop culture as well), this movie is a fun watch. Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum are both outstanding as well. Tatum gets a lot of hate for his "lack of acting chops" but I think he has continued to improve with each role. Overall, it wasn't the funniest movie from beginning to end but it's definitely an entertaining movie that's going to deliver tons of laughs. Expand
  23. May 2, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. "They hate me." In the director's cut of Almost Famous, we find out how much. On a high school marquee, in black caps, the message of the day reads: "William Miller is too young to drive or f***." The other students are pitiless toward the victim of this practical joke, but William manages a brief smile as he traverses the parking lot, alone, armed with a copy of Creem. Music makes him strong. During class, we see the boy's shrine, a blue portfolio covered with the names of his heroes in a graffiti-esque collage created with Bic ink. It's a work in progress, as we glimpse the starry-eyed child putting the final touches on the "n". William may love Led Zeppelin, but he's smart enough not to emulate Robert Plant. His hair is decidedly un-golden god-like. Over the hills and far away, in another high school, another generation, Schmidt, with his close-cropped bleached do, and bling, cultivates, none too successfully, the Eminem look. By embodying the machismo of the rapper, Schmidt works up the courage to approach a girl about the upcoming prom. Before the official invite is issued, though, the hottie stops him. That's because Schmidt is not Slim Shady; he's a nerd, and not even slim. Five years later, when the rookie cop and his buff partner go undercover as students, Schmidt's eventual transformation into a popular kid, retroactively, casts Fast Times at Ridgemont High as a sort of sequel to Almost Famous, because when Cameron Crowe returned to school as an investigative journalist, he was fully-formed, no longer the naive hero, the alter-ego of his bildungsroman, but actually somebody who was cool enough to infiltrate the cliques that mattered, after years of covering bands that mattered. In the Amy Heckerling film, Crowe doesn't have a stand-in; he's the omniscient student who knows Linda, the queen bee, well enough, apparently, to learn about her best friend Stacy, who ends up at an abortion clinic after a series of flings. Crowe's fictional self, while no longer a stranger to sex, due to the adult education he receives from the "Band-Aids" during a stopover in Greenville as a RS correspondent covering Stillwater, the then-screenwriter, despite being privy to an up close and personal look at the debauched lives of the rich and famous, nevertheless, still must have flinched like the rest of us, as Linda and Stacey talked graphically about sex in the cafeteria. Being 23, the scribe could only fantasize about Linda(like Brad), who in the film, emerges from the pool in a red bikini. Whose dream was that really? Because Crowe is unseen, the ethos of the film never gets addressed, like it does in 21 Jump Street, when Sgt. Dickson warns the cops about being chaste while on assignment, faintly echoing the advice given by Lester Bangs to his protege. When bridging the two films together(Almost Famous & Fast Times...), it's easy to imagine Crowe refashioning his mentor's words into something along the lines of "don't make friends with the high school girls." "Doug", the track star and theater brat, keeps a professional distance, but barely, when he comes perilously close to kissing Molly, at the moment that their prom plans get verified. She is Wendy to his Peter Pan, akin to Crowe and Ann Wilson(of Heart). As a point of reference, Schmidt fulfills his Eminem dreams of yesteryear by singing "I've Gotta CROW", rhyming like Mary Martin circa 1955. The "real Slim Shady" stands up. He's a romantic. The film's greatest irony is that Doug becomes popular by being himself, not a gangsta, even though 21 Jump Street pays homage to Donnie Brasco, none more cleverly than when the cop calls Molly on the phone, and nearly blows his cover. Whereas Joe Pistone learns that a wise guy never carries a wallet, Doug, in so many words, is told to text-message like any savvy teenager living in the digital age. Lefty Ruggiero represents the FBI agent, giving "Donnie" the credibility he needs to pervade the inner sanctum of a mafia crew. To his chagrin, Joe becomes Sonny Black's right-hand man. Similarly, Eric, a drug dealer, takes a shine to Doug(angering "Brad"), and introduces him to his supplier. Both men, in the process, lose themselves in the subculture, crossing the line from observer to participant, in which they find their humanity and attudinization melding into one. For the cop, this embarkation begins at a house party, where he gets stabbed during a melee between rival high school drug factions. The experience imprints him. In that instant, he becomes a stud. Likewise, Joe's metamorphosis into Donnie is inaugurated at a Japanese restaurant, where a waiter nearly gets pummeled to death in the bathroom, after the niceties of culture nearly blows his cover. Later, a lesson in mass vivisection pushes Joe to the brink. In Schmidt's case, it's a college application he plans on filling out. For Crowe, it could have been the moment that Linda sticks the carrot in her mouth. Expand
  24. Apr 24, 2013
    You don't have to watch the old tv show to see if its going to be good. Because it's not anything like the show, but it's still enjoyable to watch. It interesting to turn an old tv drama into a new a hip comedy. The movie was hilarious. Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill work perfectly together, but honestly, Channing's character was much more hilarious than Jonah's (which is kind ofYou don't have to watch the old tv show to see if its going to be good. Because it's not anything like the show, but it's still enjoyable to watch. It interesting to turn an old tv drama into a new a hip comedy. The movie was hilarious. Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill work perfectly together, but honestly, Channing's character was much more hilarious than Jonah's (which is kind of unexpected). The storyline is fairly average and ununique. But combining the comedy gold makes this movie work. The biggest part was the Johnney Depp and Peter Deluise cameo from the old "21 Jump Street" tv show. Especially when they got shot. It was an unexpected cameo with an unexpected twist, but was one of the best moments of the movie. The story does stretch at times, but overall, it's a fun action-comedy that you'll never forget. Expand
  25. Feb 7, 2013
    I was really surprised at just how good this movie was. While it isn't anything we haven't seen before, it also adds something fresh to a very tired genre. Tatum is surprisingly good at comedy?! Who'd have thought?! Overall: A very good comedy that is well worth watching, even if you think it isn't for you.
  26. May 1, 2012
    Relentlessly brash and grossly witty, 21 Jump Street is a pleasant surprise. It's an honest mockery of stereotype teen movie with relevant content caters for this generation of youth. While some scenes might get over-ridiculous, it never felt tedious and I admit I've never laughed that hard in the cinema. The script is bluntly creative, often bordering on absurdity but in a fresh way farRelentlessly brash and grossly witty, 21 Jump Street is a pleasant surprise. It's an honest mockery of stereotype teen movie with relevant content caters for this generation of youth. While some scenes might get over-ridiculous, it never felt tedious and I admit I've never laughed that hard in the cinema. The script is bluntly creative, often bordering on absurdity but in a fresh way far from cheesy teeny clichés. It proves that clever writing doesn't have to be fancy literature, it can also be **** hilarious ****

The story goes that Schmidt (Jonah Hill) and Jenko (Channing Tatum), two rookie policemen, are being assigned as undercover agents in a high school due to emergence of a new drug called HFS (Holy **** **** These two are typical combo of a big but less intelligent jock and a smart but less confident nerd. Much have changed since their time at high school, the educational facility is now a strange zone for them both, add some intoxication substances and you have this **** of juvenile craziness.

The cast is very likeable, both Schmidt and Jenko are socially awkward in their own ways, and somehow they always end up in catastrophic situations. Ice Cube as Capt. Dickson, stereotype of angry black captain, actually make fun of his stereotype. This is a movie that knows the silliness of it all and rather than masks it with ejaculation of pretentious corny dialogues, it embraces the ludicrous premise with tons of amusing profanities. With lots of self-awareness, this movie turns into a celebration of all things childish befitting of this day and age.

The jokes are highly laugh inducing, appropriate for young kids but not too young since they spout curses as much as usual teen drama's couple bump into each other and fall in love at first sight. Funny, brazen and slightly dirty, it's a rough ride of modern comedy. 8/10
  27. Jul 4, 2012
    Couldn't even finish watching this over hyped crap. Ice Cube in his role is not believable and just because Jonah was funny in a few movies, he doesn't translate in this one. Cliches abound, absent of originality and literally no parallels to the original 21 Jump Street-which was the reason I wanted to see this in the first place.
  28. Oct 12, 2012
    Please make a plan with your friends to go see this movie. Your friends and you will spend watching this great movie! Is great! Not only because of the funny moments, but it is original and fun!
  29. Mar 16, 2012
    Interesting film, 21 Jump Street is a bigger sorprise, I think that can be a disaster, but is same like the remake of Footloose. This film is amazing.
  30. Apr 22, 2013
    This was pretty funny, I`m glad I watched it cause I didn`t expect much frm it. No point in watching this if you have no sense of humor, I`m jughing this as a comedy movie not trying to compare this to Action movies.

1. Reviewed by: Andrew Lapin
    Mar 19, 2012
    The devil-may-care attitude is what makes 21 Jump Street so entertaining.
  2. Reviewed by: Ben Sachs
    Mar 18, 2012
    Directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller (Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs) seem to be after the gentle irreverence of David Gordon Green's buddy flick "Pineapple Express," but without his sensitivity and attention to character the movie quickly grows monotonous.
  3. Reviewed by: James Mottram
    Mar 16, 2012
    With Hill on co-scripting duties with Scott Pilgrim scribe Michael Bacall, 21 Jump Street was always going to live or die by its gags. Fortunately, it boasts that sweet-yet-dirty comedy that Hill revels in.