6.4

1. Apr 22, 2014
    What was I didn't understand what was director and the movie maker was doing there. Movie was complete failure after a great first movie we were expecting something greater but it was disappointing. And cast was not right.
  2. Apr 16, 2014
    Not the worst movie I`ve seen. Visually I liked it, although I understand the criticism of it. It really is more like a series of paintings than a conventional movie; seeking to capture the style of the comic book from which the story originates. As with the original 300 most of the historical anecdotes from Herodotus are there, sort of, with a lot of Miller`s creative twists added in. Nothing is historically accurate per say, but then not too many things are entirely made up either, with the notable exception of the Spartans appearing at Salamis rather than Plataiai. Perhaps I should rephrase and say that not too many narrative elements are made up, while a lot of the more...decorative stuff is made up entirely and above all hilariously. Including transvestite 8 foot tall Xerxes making a pact with an evil god, Immortals filing their teeth and all the rest of it. Personally I don`t think it was quite as imaginative in this regard as the first movie. At least there weren`t obese executioners with meat cleaver prosthetics for hands in Rise of an Empire.

However, the story manages to be weaker than in 300 and I was sort of waiting for it to end and leave me alone for the last 30 minutes or so. It`s not that it`s exactly boring, but it just seems to disappear into the visual effects somewhat and abandons the actual historical intrigue it could have drawn on as much as any contrived romantic intrigue it seemed to be considering. Themistokles is stiffly portrayed and so is I think his counterpart Artemisia. They are restricted to inspirational huddle-speeches and incomprehensible behavior respectively. I think it`s fair to say that while Themistokles may very well have been this dull, Artemisia was not borderline psychotic in real life.
    The acting is in fact fairly embarrassing all round, as is the caricature of the Persian degenerates vs the noble Athenians. In its defense one might present that this was more or less how the Greeks saw themselves at the time, being massive chauvinists after all. And while I`m sure Xerxes had a few black and brown people in his army - after all he was ruling the Middle East as far as the Indus - I seem to recall something about the Persians being Indo-European, and therefore presumably white themselves. Some of the inventions and visual schemes are Miller`s and can`t therefore be blamed on Murro. But Miller didn`t make the Persians black or brown as I recall, so this is entirely on the director.
    Whether it`s crude, racist propaganda designed to glorify the USA -which in my mind has very little in common with ancient Greece in any way, - or just a goofy attempt at displaying the cultural division the Greeks undoubtedly felt, I`m not sure. But considering the base level of US propaganda against Iran these days perhaps it might at least be advisable not to have Persian suicide bombers in movies about the Persian Wars.
    As for oppressed women and slaves this was just how all societies were at this time, and for all this the Greeks did in fact invent the modern, civilized notion of political freedom and popular rule. Obviously it had to start somewhere and as it happens it started with free men and didn`t really expand beyond this for about 2400 years after the Persian Wars. But I must say that people who belittle ancient Greece because of these restrictions are ignorant to the point of imbecility. And this concludes my rant against political correctness...

All in all it might be worth watching this for the visuals if nothing else, unless you absolutely hated the original movie. If you liked the original then chances are you`ll like this one. I still think it falls a bit short though. When you know the source material here, and are at least somewhat aware of the particulars of the Persian Wars, then you also know how much is left out which would have made the movie a lot better. Classical Greece was born as much in the mud at Plataiai as at Salamis yet it`s not even in the movie. And neither is Pausanias who was the other leader of the Greek victory after the death of Leonidas. Instead the Spartans come sailing, led by a woman! And thousands of dead Spartans turn over in their graves....
  3. Apr 16, 2014
    A total waste of time and money. This movie could've been something BIGG! Too much meaningless slow-motion scenes, very weak story + poor acting. An episode of SPARTACUS alone is worth both 300 movies.
  4. Apr 9, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This film is aimed at making Americans (analogous to the Greeks, westerners) feel good about themselves. It takes what was a wonderful history (read Herodotus Books 6-9), and uses it to create a cartoon - a caricature of what the producers think will be a more appealing story, but is yet inferior to the real one. I would much rather have seen thousands of Spartan warriors (among the rest of the Greeks) fighting at Plataea than seen Spartans coming to save the day at Salamis IN BOATS! That's insane. Both the Greek naval victory at Salamis (led by the Athenians), and the Greek land victory at Plataea (led by the Spartans) individually make better stories. I feel sick just writing about it. It's an indictment the creators of this film are making of the audience - that we are idiots, and they are correct in that assessment. Expand
  5. Apr 8, 2014
    It was not as good as the first 300, but that was expected when I heard Gerard Butler wouldn't be returning.

The story was not so good and I didn't actually understand it that well, I also would have preferred it to be about Spartans instead of the Athenians but Themistocles was played well.

However, the combat was fantastic and I could tell from the noises of excitement from the
    other people in the Cinema they though the same. Expand
  6. Apr 7, 2014
    Thus movie definitely isn't for everybody, but I enjoyed watching this a lot. The movie is action packed and full of excellent fighting scenes, with sometimes fake looking gore and blood, which still seemed awesome none the less. I love the actors and I love the scenery, I'd watch this again if given a chance.
  7. Apr 7, 2014
    If you go into this without expecting anything, then it will be alright. However, if you set the bar unreasonably high; then you'll spend two and a half hours watching garbage.
  8. Apr 5, 2014
    Foul, racist American propaganda painting the great and enlightened Persian empire as a bunch of savages. The "suicide bomber" was particularly sickening.
  9. Apr 5, 2014
    Tries much too hard to reproduce the successes of the original, but falls short in nearly every way. There were a few cool action moments as they fight on the sea, but the plot is totally uninteresting and the characters are too cliche to like. I might have been able to enjoy it as a short action/semi-hero movie with style, but it took itself much too seriously to enjoy it. It seems to drag on and on, trying to produce depth that it just didn't have. It took too long to tell a story, and the story was too cliche and uninteresting to be the focal point. Pass. Expand
  10. Apr 4, 2014
    This is an example of a film that should never make it past the drawing board. Its vapid and pointless story drags on from one CGI scene to the other, until it finally ends. Thank goodness, now I can go home and play some video games because the movies today aren't doing it for me anymore.
  11. Apr 3, 2014
    Not very good, really. Not even as good as the first movie, and that wasn't that amazing, even though it was fun. The violence here becomes repetitive and mechanical, and the whole thing becomes draggy and portentious. And too long. Some of the actors are OK (Green), though there are certainly wooden performances as well. The sequences involving Sparta (and the tedious Spartan will-we, won't-we join in dynamic) were particularly disjointed, for some reason. Special ridicule should be reserved for the cavalry charge at sea, which wins the award for the stupid spectacle for spectacle's sake approach to stretching movies out pointlessly. Some good action sequences, but overall, a bit disappointing. Expect another sequel, though. Expand
  12. Apr 3, 2014
    If you like slo-mo action sequences, this film delivers. Feels a little more long winded than the original, but certainly delivers exactly what the fans expected.
  13. Mar 31, 2014
    300 Rise of an Empire is an aesthetically pleasing film. The battles scenes and setting are visually stunning. For me the story does fall flat, and the characters with an exception of one or two are very generic and predictable. You see this movie for the battle scenes and they don't disappoint. Not as groundbreaking as the first but still worth a watch
  14. Mar 29, 2014
    300: Rise of an Empire is a good movie overall, there are good actions scenes with great special effects and a lot of blood , Some drama parts are, sometimes, cliche an it can be little bit boring..., but if you don't care about that you will enjoy the movie, there are good actors like Eva Green, Rodrigo Santoro and Sullivan Stapleton.
  15. Mar 28, 2014
    If you loved the original 300, then this movie brings more of the same testosterone-filled action, stylized fight scenes, awesome costumes, over-the-top CGI effects, overdramatic pre-battle speeches, slow motion, unrealistic blood, shirtless men yelling, shirtless men dying, shirtless men killing one another, etc. etc. Doesn't really add much to this formula, except possibly Eva Green, who brings a great performance and makes a relatable villain. Needless to say, if you didn't like the original then this film won't do anything to change your opinion about the franchise, but if you liked the original, then you should definitely check the sequel out as well. Expand
  16. Mar 27, 2014
    This movie was a blast... Noam Murro is an amazing director, this movie was epic... It has it all.
    - Casting 8.9/10
    - Special Effects 9/10
    - Screen Play 8.7/10
    - Sound Effects 9.3/10
    - Story 7.9/10
    - Sex Scene 20000/10
  17. Mar 26, 2014
    I had to give up on this one somewhere around the halfway point. Maybe something interesting happens after the one hour mark, but I wasn't willing to stick it out.

To be fair I found the original more than a little underwhelming, so I'm probably not in the target demographic, but I was hoping that the sequel might provide at least a little entertainment value. Unfortunately it seems to
    be little more than a group of interchangeable bearded men in good shape dancing around a sprinkler system spraying far too much CGI blood. If you like that sort of thing you'll probably eat it up, but I'm sure there are already more than a few 'adult' websites that cater to that fetish.

P.S. It's probably time to retire the technique of slllooooowwwiiing the action down before speedingitupastheswordstrikes.
  18. Mar 26, 2014
    Stupid film. Which nation is the good one?? The one who killed a family and raped the little girl or the one who saved the girl??? The cast is awful except Eva Green...
  19. Mar 24, 2014
    I absolutely enjoyed the film. The story, the acting, the atmosphere, the gore... just thrilling. To top it all off; I watched it in IMAX 3D, so it felt like I was there!
  20. Mar 23, 2014
    The only thing I find myself thinking when I see a movie like this and then arrive @ metacritic, is what on Earth these people are thinking who give it a positive score. I wish I could be in their head for just an hour, just to see how truly stupid these people are.
  21. Mar 23, 2014
    In order for us, the viewers, to understand the appeal and validity of 300: Rise Of An Empire, it is important to remember its roots. If you bear the original in mind, and then ask yourself what progress has been made in the form of storytelling, visual invention, direction, action and scripting between this and that, then you might start to form an answer as to why this is not as great as some have claimed, all on your own.

Telling partly the same story as the original film, but changing the perspective is a nice idea, if for no other reason than the possibility of maybe witnessing something previously unseen from Leonidus' adventures the last time around. Unfortunately, there is no new appearance from Gerard Butler here, but many of the previous cast do make welcome returns. Lena Headey's Queen Gorgo, to the now ex-King Leonidus, is just as beautiful, bullish, stubborn and independently oligarchical as ever, but probably features even less than the first outing. David Wenham is back again as Dilios, the one that got away, returning to Sparta to tell the tales of valour, courage and sacrifice that the original three hundred achieved in their battle with the god-king Xerxes (Rodrigo Santoro), who is also back, having flesh added to a character that was sorely lacking a backstory the first time around.

But the real focus of this new adventure (or new version of an old story with added opinion) concentrates on the leader of the Athenian fleet. Yes, ladies and gentlemen please welcome Sullivan Stapleton, as the difficult to pronounce and even trickier to spell Themistocles. And any new hero really needs a new adversary, so as if fighting the entire Persian Army and a King (who is also a God, don't forget), we are introduced to the testicle-shrivelling Artemisia played by Eva Green. Artemisia, the real power behind Xerxes' throne is rampant, driven, single-minded and extremely dangerous. Femme fatales don't come much more 'fatale' than this here **** from hell.

But for all of the new faces and mostly welcome old ones, what is it we really have here? The same comic-book stylised battles, ad-infinitum, slow-motion death throes, spattered scarlet aplenty, interspersed with rousing speeches and verbal sparring. Like its parent, Rise Of An Empire is beautful to look at and grand and glorious in scale and intent. But strip from it the eye-candy, which is incase we forget, the real appeal of the original, we are left with a passable script and less enthralling acting than before. Eva Green's performance as Artemisia is probably the most interesting, if not the most rounded. Lena Headey's return as Gorgo is the most fulfilling, but she has the fortunate happenstance of not having to carry the entire film on her shoulders. Aussie Stapleton however, is responsible for the rise or fall of his fleet and the film and honestly, you have to question whether he has the same presence as the formidable Butler as Leonidus. There will be no 'THIS IS SPARTA!!' quotes this time around, I'd wager.

In summary, an average return that thankfully doesn't undewhelm visually, but fails to really add anything but previously missing plot holes in a story we have already seen before. With some interesting, if not altogether satisfying characters, Rise Of An Empire is a sickly thrill a minute, but like a decent sweet and sour chicken, you'll probably be hungry again in half an hour.
  22. Mar 22, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Its a good movie..not a great one nor inspirational
    watch it in 3D for cinematography,graphics,stunning visual graphics scenery,slo-mo action scenes

about the story : watch what happens in the side of original 300
    A navy battle

-ve : lots of graphic blood '; spills on camera
    slow second half followed by comedy

Rated R : for Curse words & a nude sex scene
    +ve : not boring
  23. Mar 21, 2014
    I have to say i was not looking forward to this film, i watched the trailer a few times and was going to give it a miss but im so glad i watched it, i thought that the story was pretty good, the way it was close to 300 i liked that, the comic book violence was spot on, the blood was a little dodgy in 2D so i wish i had seen it in 3D, the acting was pretty good, Eva Green was really good she really surprised me, and she looked hot :) one thing that was a downer the middle of the film got a bit flat, it started off fast paced then lost it a bit but it soon picked up pace. I left the cinema with a huge smile on my face and i am really looking forward to the next instalment. Expand
  24. Mar 21, 2014
    i will give 10 out of 10 for this movie. long time waiting, really worth watching at the big screens. It has alots of new features, from the costumes designers up to the actors that really played an important role into this movie. has to be the greatest war movie type of niche.
  25. Mar 19, 2014
    I thought this movie was great. I loved the first 300 and this one was just as good.

They basically take the time to frame every shot and angle and it's great action.

I will definitely see the 3rd installment in 2018 or whenever it comes out in the future.
  26. Mar 19, 2014
    As far as the graphics go, the visuals are amazing. Smooth and great looking 3d efects that did not irritate my eyes. The story itself was amazing, taking place at the same time as the first movie. And i really liked the naval idea, because i thought to make combat at sea would be hard to pull of, but they did s great job mixing different combat tactics making it intresting. The actors were good both in acting and visually, tho not as tough as the spartan Expand
  27. Mar 19, 2014
    Вторая часть полностью копирует первую в сюжете и очерёдности сцен: Сначала горстку войск посылают на сражение с могучей армией, среди них есть отец и сын, один из которых погибнет ; горстка вешает люлей в первые дни ; Затем главнокомандующего вызывают на "переговоры" и тот отвечает отказом капитуляции ; затем их пытаются взорвать, но не выходит ; затем эпичный финал.
    Но без колоритных
    спартанцев и золото-бордовой цветовой гаммы (которую сменили на сине-серую) - фильм проигрывает первой части.
    Жалею что ходил на это убожество в кино! Никому не советую.
  28. Mar 17, 2014
    Amazing, non-stop action fun. Loved 300, this one continues that amazing ride in every regard. Saw it in IMAX 3D and it blew me away. Can't wait to get it on Blu. Anyone giving it less than 8 needs to give their head a serious shake. One of the best action-fantasy films of all time. Kudos to the film creators and actors.
  29. Mar 17, 2014
    Interesting movie. It just shows what 300 is all about in a movie with non-significant mistakes in the development, showing a nice background and a story with some problems at the moment of showing the meanness gore during the majority of the movie with unnecessary slow motion and fake blood effects, but at last its saved by Eva Green's performance, with a deep and complete character that is enjoyable to watch. Expand
  30. Mar 16, 2014
    This movie was a huge disappointment, because I fell so much in love with the first one. The actors and actresses in the first one were way more passionate and believably intense. It was boring the fighting seemed unrealistic and sort of video gamish. The blood looked fake. Just wasn't impressed
  31. Mar 15, 2014
    Sullivan Stapleton does a good enough job trying to replace Gerald Butler as the leading male and his performance is satisfying enough that you won't miss Butler that much. Eva Green was a great female lead though and does a good job. The rest of the cast is solid.

Plot wise, It's pretty much exactly like the first film but contains a lot of backstory about Xerxes and how he became the
    god king that he is. It's sort of a prequel/sequel rolled into one. Sort of predictable though and because of that the movie sort of lost my interest half way through, The ending was lack-luster as well. The action is entertaining but I think the 3D sort of hurt it because you constantly had blood splattering on the screen and it was just sort of boring to look at, 3D wise, after a while.

Overall, Despite being a sequel to a great action film, It actually sort of lives up to the epicness of the original. Sure it may not be as good but I enjoyed watch it and so did my family.
  32. Mar 15, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The original film, 2007's 300, had a cultural impact that no one could predict and made Zack Snyder the household name he is today. However, 300: Rise of an Empire, which acts as an entertaining and well made piece of cinema, lacks the charisma and originality that the the first film delivered.

Rise of an Empire acts as both a prequel and sequel to 300, telling the story of Themistokles, an Athenian warrior who desperately attempts to unite Greece's cities so that they may defeat Xerxes navy, lead by Artemisia (Brilliantly played by Eva Green) that threatens to encircle and destroy Greece. Though the film suffers from poor character development and a rushed explanation of the origins of Xerxes's power, it does get right what the first film did expertly and that is the combat scenes. Every battle is a gratuitous flair of severed limbs, glorious slow motion and geysers of blood, and is choreographed fantastically. Fans of the first film will certainly appreciate these moments and it is these battles, both on land and sea that carry the film.

However, Rise of an Empire does have its flaws that separates it from the greatness of the original. With the exception of Artemisia and to an extent, Xerxes, the film has little to no character development and unlike 300, I felt no connection to the supporting cast, as they were so ordinary that none of them stood out. Xerxes's rise to power was glossed over and done in roughly 10 minutes and is highly unsatisfactory to any that are unfamiliar with the fiction. While the jumps into the past were pleasing as they added context to the story of Leonidas and his 300, it was poorly initiated and chopped back and forth which halted the flow of events and the film suffered as a result.

In conclusion, despite its flaws (and they are distinct) 300: Rise of an Empire is an highly entertaining, albeit forgettable, sequel that will no doubt have you grinning at the sheer spectacle and ridiculousness of it all.
  33. Mar 15, 2014
    Se il primo 300 meritava un 2 questo merita un 1 per la presa per il culo di farti credere che vogliono dare spessore alla trama e ai personaggi cattivi.
  34. Mar 15, 2014
    Such a horribly written script! movie cliches one after another mixed with overly done slow mode fight scenes. The color saturation was so badly done that it made the actors look horrible! The diversion from historical events were also annoying, not that I planned to see an accurate re-telling, it was laughable how sad.
  35. Mar 15, 2014
    Visually this sequel to 300 is very impressive. The colors and visuals on screen make it so you cant look away. However like with most sequels I believe they tries to put too much in this movie and thus missed the mark. The battles lacked their previous amazement and there was very little to do with the spartans (reasons we all loved the first so much) but they have set themselves up for an epic 3rd installment hopefully between the spartans and the persians Expand
  36. Mar 14, 2014
    OMG!!! This movie is like mantra to me. There so much action and character drama that i literally cried when first saw it. It was marvellous. Seriously, Hollywood need more of such fantastic films.
  37. Mar 13, 2014
    Totally Forgettable. Too much cliche scenes and very weak story makes this sequel one of the worst I have ever seen. Amazing how the trailer could be so deceiving. Don't waste your money!
  38. Mar 13, 2014
    I've liked Eva Green since Casino Royale and now I have even more reason to be a fan. She gives the movie such a spark when she is on the screen she makes the rest of the cast seem a little boring. While not as good as the first "300" it is still an enjoyable experience.
  39. Mar 13, 2014
    So I had pretty low expectations watching this after I read critic reviews. Is it as good as 300 (the original) no but it plays things out in a different manner and it does work well. Eva Green stole the show she was amazing. Her performance will come to mind for years to come, yes she is that good in this movie. Overall the acting was top notch. This film had a more political take on the war but I thought they did a great job with it. Visuals were great, music was outstanding. I was skeptical but I'm glad I saw it anyway. Eva Green's performance alone is well worth the price of admission. Expand
  40. Mar 12, 2014
    I waited the whole movie for a movie to start. It never did. The story is nonexistent, unclear, and inconsequential. The whole thing piggybacks on your remembrance of the first movie. It's not bad, just sort of empty. Plays it safe
  41. Mar 12, 2014
    Eva Green's performance in this movie is amazing and it makes the movie more epic to watch! sure there were the fighting sequences, and how Xerxes became a God King not to mention, the parallel between the first movie and the second movie and more! but honestly the thing that stands out the most is Eva Green if she doesn't deserve the praise then it's obvious that movie critics don't have taste the reason it's a 9/10 it's because why bother making a parallel movie when clearly you can fuse both 300 and this movie together it makes much more sense story wise Expand
  42. Mar 12, 2014
    this was what i expected it to be bloody gory action film. i enjoyed it personally the acting was surprisingly good and the action scenes were awesome! overall for what its worth i thought it was a solid movie and sequel to 300. the lead actor of Themistocles performed really well
  43. Mar 12, 2014
    300 - Rise of an Empire tells another view from his predecessor, witch shows a history before and after the predecessor 300. 300 - Rise of an Empire shows who is Zack Snyder, in visuals, animations, especial effects, photography and all others topics in the gaphics area this movie rocks, Zack Snyder is great in combat scenes, the camera angles is just perfect, and you know exactly what is happening in the combat.

But as always, just epic scenes with bunch of combat and slow motion can't make the movie great, the History of the movie is well telled, but I think the movie needs a little bit of more explanation of the history, how everything happened, you just see a bit of history and bunch of combat scenes in a loop all the movie, witch was a little bit awkward.

Seeing by this point, as what a complete movie needs to offer you, 300 - Rise of an Empire is a 5 or 6 out 10 movie, but the objective of the movie is to impress you with the high quality action scenes, with the slow motions scenes and with the all blood, and this object the movie completes well, as a complete movie needs? No. But is a 8 out 10 movie in a lot of ways.
  44. Mar 12, 2014
    Gran pelicula,por supuesto no a la altura de la 1era,pero aun asi una gran pelicula con escenas memorables, no puedo esperar para ver la 3, q sera seguramente la ultima
  45. Mar 11, 2014
    300: Rise of an Empire was an action-filled ride similar to its predecessor, but amped to a much higher degree. The story sustained itself by the power of the sexes and provided closure to the first film. Frank Miler’s story and Zack Snyder’s film adaptation were impressive. It was like experiencing graphic fiction come to life. It was a surreal experience.
  46. Mar 11, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First of all, Eva Green is beautiful, sexy, bad ass, and really good to look at. That alone is good enough.

Second, this is not a historical movie. Nor is the first 300 movie. For example, the battle at Thermopylae is not "Leonidas and his 300" but Leonidas, 300, and some Greek hoplites/levies. This movie is NOT historical at all. Artemisia is not leading the battle of Salamis, the seamanship of the Persians are better than the Greeks, the Persians use the same type of ships than the Greeks, and the rocks trick is used at the final battle of Salamis, instead in the opening battle.

Third, Eva Green is a beautiful women.

Fourth, I am an action junkie so my score will reflect that. There are a lot of gore and blood. The sword battles are not so nice, mostly the action scenes are jumbled of one-on-one battles, or hero vs. tons of enemies battle, while it's better if the action also focuses on the wide carnage of the battle. The CGI is great, but CGI can't help weak action scenes. The Persians, are, as usual, slaughtered by the "Greek farmers". This is boring, the Persians should have a chance of an EVEN FIGHT. In fact, the Persian soldiers should have upper hand against "standard" Greek levies. The only Persian capable of fighting back is The Immortals, but these also will be slaughtered in large number if they fight the Hero. Seriously, this thing bores me.

Fifth, there are so many plot holes. For instance, the Spartans refusal to help. Seriously? The Spartans are so badass in the first movie. They are warrior society, yes they have lost their king and the kings bodyguard, but after losing this they think "no more"? The other city states farmers and artisans are fighting to death, against greater number with less training and less martial skill, and yet still fight? The Spartans do look like a douche. And in the end, the Spartans still have a large number of soldiers, where are these guys in the first movie?

Good movie to have in theater, but you don't have to buy it.
    Half of my score is given to Eva Green and her good "scene".
  47. Mar 11, 2014
    It was okay. I found 300: Rise of an Empire to be somewhat entertaining, but somehow the blood effects are even less realistic than those in the original 300. The cast is also quite pale compared to the original(Gerard Butler, Michael Fassbender, etc.) Eva Green was really over the top but I suppose in a good way. I don't really think it's necessary to see in theaters.
  48. Mar 11, 2014
    meh....................................................................................................................................................
  49. Mar 11, 2014
    This adaptation of Frank Miller’s graphic novel tells the story of greatly-outnumbered Greeks who valiantly fight the Persian hordes, this time mostly on water. The style is operatic: full of grand dramatic moments, oversized emotions and dazzling violent ballets. The animated visuals are beautiful and thick (with lots more slomo blood this time). It's more amped up than the original and features two women in the battles, but it's still the same style with pretentious dialogue and highly stylized action. Expand
  50. Mar 11, 2014
    I watched this movie at the cinema and it is a really good movie it's not better than the first 300 but this movie is really good i can feel the 2014 touch in the movie! I give it 10/10 becuase it's a movie with the 2014 touch!

My wore may game - Alidengote 2014
  51. Mar 10, 2014
    Rubbish film, but who knew that Eva Green had such nice breasts? At least the first film presented a plausible idea that 300 could fight off thousands in a confined space, but thousands of ships against twenty? Stupid, stupid, stupid. And while they're doing this, everyone just stands around on ships with no defences. No one fires arrows at each other; they just wait and try to ram ships.
  52. Mar 10, 2014
    i thought the movie was predictable at moments, dosent mean the movie was bad. Even though it was predictable i didnt find it boring, it was able to stay interested with the story and found it easy to follow. The action scenes also worked really well and i had thought the blood and effects looked really cool too.
  53. Mar 9, 2014
    First the good news. It's a great looking film, and Eva Green was one bad ass chick. On the flip side, the leading man did not have the charisma of Gerard Butler from the first film. The battles get tiresome after awhile, as there is only so many ways you can stab and slice people with a sword. Not a horrible film thanks to its look, but not a Blu-ray purchase either.
  54. Mar 9, 2014
    This movie seems to have evolved from the original and the attempt to mobilize the most complex production with the intent of recasting Greek mythology for a modern viewer is simply unparalleled. Death and Glory are on center stage.
  55. Mar 9, 2014
    It lacks the unworldly mythologies of the first title, but its spectacular animation will still be entertaining enough. 300: Rise of an Empire is the prequel, event in between and also sequel of 300, this might be overreaching as it cumbersomely tries to tell wider scale background of the war. Eva Green was amazing as the Nemesis, and the lil background story did good to the character, however, 300 was Epic because of the Spartans. an almost invincible breed of warriors. Leonidas was also way charismatic than whatever Stapleton delivered... Sadly this movie is 90% about Greeks fighting.. and for that, i reckon you're better off watching Troy. Expand
  56. Mar 9, 2014
    Disjointed mess. Way too much CG blood. Reality suspension aside, the effects were terrible.
    Just a poor attempt to play the 'stylish cinematography' while over saturating poorly constructed fight scenes.

Weak sauce.
  57. Mar 9, 2014
    300: Rise of an Empire is a very well-filmed gory action movie, and the absence of Zack Snyder as the director is barely noticeable (for me, at least). The fight scenes are fierce, bloody and gripping, I absolutely loved them. Eva Green is both sexy and dangerous, and the film's visceral sex scene is the culmination of those qualities. The soundtrack is quite fitting and memorable, and Black Sabbath's War Pigs during the end credits really make you go out the cinema hall in style. The dialogues are sometimes too primitive and the speeches about Freedom™ and Democracy™ are boring, but those downsides are outweighed by the movie's strengths in my opinion. Anyway, a solid action movie I recommend to watch. Expand
  58. Mar 9, 2014
    300: Rise of an Empire was a really good movie but it failed to deliver on the epicness of the first film. But I'll first touch on the positives. The visuals are really, REALLY cool. It seemed like the blood spurts weren't done quite as well as the first one but overall the visuals in this movie were fantastic. Whether it was Artemisia igniting the Greek Navy or Themistokles leading the Greek forces, the special effects and visuals were a definitely strength. The acting was also really good. Was it "Oscar-worthy"? No but it's a different kind of movie. I thought the actors delivered their roles well, especially Eva Green, who I thought stole the movie. Her beauty is stunning, sure, but she did an incredible job with Artemisia. The plot also developed well and I thought they connected it to the first film really well. Instead of this being a sequel, though, it's essentially occurring at the same time as the first movie, just at a different location. That being said, that is also one of the elements that hurt the movie, in my humble opinion. The movie builds and builds and builds and then right when you think you're about to get the biggest battle of the film, it ends. That is just a part of what I consider the weakest area of the movie... there just isn't enough combat. The first movie was littered with epic fight sequences while this one focused more on the politics. I think they forgot why so many people loved the first one. It was different from the Troys and the Bravehearts and the Gladiators. It was in your face war and had a charm and joy to it. This movie, while good in its own right, lost a lot of that charm and joy and tried to take a more serious cinematic approach, ultimately missing its mark in the process. Expand
  59. Mar 9, 2014
    It's simple really, if you liked the first one, you'll probably like this one as well. As a fan of the first film, the was everything I wanted. Sometime I just want to see big burly men cut each other with sharp objects. :)
  60. Mar 9, 2014
    It lacks the unworldly mythologies of the first title, but its spectacular animation will still be entertaining enough. 300: Rise of an Empire is the prequel, event in between and also sequel of 300, this might be overreaching as it cumbersomely tries to tell wider scale background of the war. There are more characters, each with their own tale and the change into naval battle is a welcomed one, not to mention clever ways to divulge more effects, however they can't replace the charm of mystical charisma from the predecessor.

Story revolves mainly on Themistocles (Sullivan Stapleton) and his ambivalence struggle against slightly insane Persian general, Artemisia (Eva Green). Stapleton is not exactly inadequate on the leader role. He showcases a decent performance as the weight of war slowly burdens him, but the brash hawkish lead from Gerard Butler is sorely missed. The movie utilizes almost the same merry band of warriors as 300, despite acknowledging the less superhuman original profession. They might be too similar, especially physique-wise, it feels like a shallow reenactment than legitimate replacement, and it's not about the blue cape instead of red.

Eva Green is absurdly filled with anguish, almost excessively. It's very passionately awkward, but admittedly effective nonetheless as she oozes strength at times. King Xerxes (Rodrigo Santoro) gets an exposition of his metamorphosis past, a "before" and "after" look as herbal steroid, magic spell and CG alter his appearance to that of a giant. This retains some of the magical vibe from previous title, although only a mere fragment of it.

He does not possess the same on-screen threat as he did, currently he's not even the same level as his madly obsessive lady general. Queen Gorgo (Lena Headey) serves as narrator, she partakes in only a handful of scenes as the focus shifts away from Sparta. Her voice has weight, although not as poignant as Dilios (David Wenham) in the first movie, who is now relegated into a flimsy support role.

The trademark fight scenes are splendid, stylishly choreographed with elegant brute force. Maritime warfare presents more effects added into bloody skirmish, be it may water or fire, they are visually delightful. It moves very aggressively, slowing at just the right critical moments. In a sense, it almost resembles a game; I wouldn't be surprise if it has health meter and death count display. This mix of battle macabre and CGI stand tall in the peak of action genre, audience will most likely find no disappointment in this regard.

Unfortunately, screenplays aren't constructed concisely enough; they don’t continue momentum from plot to action smoothly, making some occasions feel dry. It offers some degree of political and social aspect, but not carrying the depth needed to stimulate the audience. While the spectacle is undeniably impressive, 300: Rise of an Empire is just a glorified war movie.
  61. Mar 8, 2014
    it's not Historically accurate nor logically making sense kinda movie , but for those who like a good 3d , it can be enjoyable. overall good footage but a bad story
  62. Mar 8, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Dissapointment
    This new movie of 300 is a big dissaster, the screenplay is HUGE dissaster in many parts it has no sense. One thing it really surprise me, was the part Artemisia had brown eyes and later her eyes were completely blue. The direction in charge of Noam Murro is a regular performance. The effects of 300 and 300 Rise of an Empire have no difference between them. This film is only another movie
  63. Mar 8, 2014
    The new instalment of 300 is a excellent, exciting, fast paced, action with some of the best visual I have seen to date. The movie is generally pleasing and a fun time to watch with mates. A note worthy script and a well all round cast is everything fans craved for. 300: Rise of an Empire is a must watch sequel to the original classic.
  64. Mar 8, 2014
    One word: Badass. Much better than the first film, just forget about realism and you will be fine. The only thing i think i could question was the fact that the random sex scene was rather confusing to the actual story and portrayed a bad image of the main character.
  65. Mar 8, 2014
    There is a big lack of immersion, the story is not well connected with the real historical events, the sea battles are dark and short, not really a good film!
    The beginning is really nice but later is going down minute by minute!
  66. Mar 8, 2014
    Great sequel. It's just as gory and stylish as the previous one. The 3D is well implemented, Eva Green is great as the villain and we get to see her Xerxes backstory. The movie takes place both before, during and after the events of 300, and i think that's really awesome. The special effects are great too. There's some memorable lines as always and then there's the sex scene which, while i normally don't like those sorts of scenes is actually not only tasteful but also hilarious considering how it ends. Only downside is that Themistocles, the new protagonist, isn't as memorable as Leonidas. I felt like it was a great sequel. I guess there's just no pleasing some people. Expand
  67. Mar 8, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Meh is how best to describe this sequel. I saw the Double Feature of the two 300 movies on Thursday evening, and I was left wanting. Being a big fan of the 1st movie, I went in with little expectations to return this obvious money making opportunity into a worthy sequel. They did try to capitalize on 2 of the best features of the first movie, which was war strategy with amazing looking graphics. The first movie was battle on land, and the sequel is on water. What it fails to bring back was good characters to root for.

SPOILER:

There is an odd aggressive sex scene with our hero and the evil warrioress of the sea, and it makes little sense. Even if she is quite sexy, and I did not balk at seeing more of her, it seemed to be added to appease a portion of the audience who needed a break from the violence and bad character development. The hero was just not the same after that, and how could you as a movie goer want to root for his success after succumbing to his pent-up prostate? Sure he has had dating problems, but he decided to marry Greece and as soon as someone flashes a leg, our hero decides to be unfaithful to his motherland? Come on Dude!

The rest of the movie tried to overcome the messy script with memorable fight scenes, Unfortunately for me, I just watched the 1st movie back to back, and there was little original in the 2nd movie to allow me to enjoy it fully. It isn't a bad movie, it just lacks that emotional connection we need with the characters, and that ultimately is the flaw. Even though the fights were the same, it is the slow-motion sequence of the fights and the over the top speeches that made you enjoy the first 300 movie. If you want more of that, then unplug your brain for 2 hours and enjoy.
  68. Mar 8, 2014
    When going into a 300 movie, you don't expect it to me smart as hell and the best movie ever. However, you walk into it thinking at least it will be dumb fun. This was dumb fun during the fight scenes and the other scenes were taken too seriously. It was as if the director wanted it to be smart, but used silly characters and quite silly premise. It also had a creatures that were quite silly and unnecessary as well. Unlike the original, where the creatures were pretty human and didn't seem too far fetched. These seemed useless.

The special effects were impressive and the comic book feel was rewarding. It was just dogged down by quite lame action scenes with the fighters seeming supper hero. Though this really wasn't a negative, because its a war movie and I should have suspected that. The special effects though of the fighting seemed fake. Almost like a video game or Matrix reloaded when he fought all the Smiths. The fight scenes wasn't too bad, but wasn't as good as the original. I don't want a movie like this to be completely factional correct, but something like the formation of Spartans, the random idea for the Persians to back themselves into a corner, and even the use of slaves wasn't rewarding.

Overall the movie wasn't too bad and it seemed like it could have been worse. Though scenes like the random sex scene were useless things in the movie. Things that could have been approved and or left out. Overall I wasn't angry at the movie and don't really consider it a score. I would give it a 6.5/10
  69. Mar 7, 2014
    Big disappointment.. The beginning of the movie starts off great and interesting but the movie gets terribly written lines, boring action sequences, some atrocious acting, and a bland story. What saved me from giving this movie a lower score is: Eva Green's outstanding performance, stunning visuals, and the beginning's interesting sequences. The movie got quickly boring and I was about to fall asleep in the last 3rd part of the movie. Also, this movie doesn't even have an ending pretty much. Just a cliffhanger in a way. Doesn't even show what happens! How does a movie do this? If Hollywood is considering a sequel, then they better think of a better concept, story, and better actors/actresses like Eva Green. 5/10 Expand
  70. Mar 7, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pretty simple; if you liked 300 you will enjoy this companion piece, if you didn't, well don't waste your time. I actually thought it was slightly better than 300 based on Eva Green's character and performance which surpassed Domnic West's turn as bad guy in the first flick.

What made her part so interesting was that it almost seems that the writers themselves did not know what to make of her character. In many ways she is more sympathetic than the lead male figures, and in the movie's sex scene (amazing that a man choking a struggling woman while he attempts to take her from behind earns an R, but a man performing oral sex on a woman equals a NC-17) I felt that she in fact took over as lead character as the male hero is left befuddled by her. I'm clearly out of my league in applying a feminist perspective to a movie designed to make men want to hit the the local crossfit, but in dispatching her character at the end (finally getting her to knees before the male hero) I felt there is a comment to made regarding the inability of men to accept challenging women (including male screenwriter's inability to deal with them in movies).

I should note that I saw this movie in IMAX 3D which I find to be so impressive that I also recommended John Carter after seeing it in IMAX 3D, something which my friends remind me of all the time.

But that
  71. Mar 7, 2014
    Saw this movie last night in 2-D. My first issue was that the blood effect look cheesy but perhaps in 3-D may have looked better. Eva Green was awesome but the leading man sucked. Wasn't buying the story because they had these regular soldiers able to take on the immortals like they were nothing. Absolutely loved the first 300 but this 300 I walked away disappointed and bored.
  72. Mar 7, 2014
    Rise of an Empire is a sumptuous feast for the eyes that’s a worthy sequel to the action classic that doesn’t improve on the formula, but does entertain for the majority of its run-time. A sequel that's better than it has any right to be, Rise of an Empire is an adrenaline-fuelled blast of bloody fun.
  73. Mar 7, 2014
    This visual and stylistic exercise in blood letting turns out to be not quite as good as the original 300. Some concise narration at the beginning sets the scene, but the story matters little. Basically this is the formula as before, the main difference being that most of the battles here take place on the sea rather than on land. Production Design vies with CGI for attention and continues to blur the line between these two crafts. Likewise, the somewhat bombastic score competes with Dolby sound. The one thing of which the film cannot be accused is to not have used all the technologies at its disposal. Viewed in an IMAX format and in 3D (D Box was also an additional option) the film is certainly a feast for the eye and ear. The speed ramping gimmick is again employed to enhance the dubious enjoyment of torn flesh, severed limbs and lashings of blood flying off the screen. One thing is for sure, subtlety was obviously not discovered in THIS century.

Acting wise, Eva Green steals the film and she has an erotically charged scene of sexual power play with leading man Sullivan Stapleton (Strike Back) which is also as camp as Christmas. The combination is somewhat disconcerting, not to mention rather funny.
    For all its faults, though, there can be no denying that this is a visually stunning achievement. A short underwater dream sequence also impresses as, in fact, do all the under water shots. However, like its predecessor, an inevitable repetitiveness allows one to become anaesthetised to events which by turn become ever so slightly monotonous.
  74. Mar 7, 2014
    Realmente muy buena la película, super entretenida y super espectacular, la critican por el gore, por favor y a ver una película de 300 es ir a ver sangre, batallas y sexo, que mas quieren los críticos?. Epic film.
  75. Mar 7, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Maybe the change in the shoes of director have changed a bit of movie's taking but still a good sequel prequel .noam murro did his part.. and must thank eva green and santaro for their roles. lena headey did her part and debutant sullivan was good with his stunts and physique. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Drew McWeeny
    Apr 18, 2014
    300: Rise Of An Empire is a worthy sequel to "300," stylistically consistent and equally loony, featuring what may well be the first truly can't-miss performance in a film this year.
  2. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    Mar 10, 2014
    For all the energetic milling, Rise of an Empire proves superior to its predecessor by making war a game both sexes can play, on nearly equal terms. In comparison, the R-rated "300" seems as innocent as Adam in the Garden before the delicious complication of Eve — or Eva.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Mar 10, 2014
    It really is pretty dull, though, with the same moments of campy silliness: the same frowning gym bunnies with the same digitally enhanced abs.