6.2

1. Nov 13, 2014
    "300: Rise of an Empire" 10 Scale Rating: 4.0 (Bad) ...

The Good: As expected, the fights were well choreographed and the battles were on an epic scale. The blood and guts are gleefully over-the-top, but not to the point where it becomes too much. Eva Green was excellent as the film's main villain.

The Bad: The film just feels hollow without Leonidas and the 300. They try very hard
    to re-create the magic of the first film and they just fall way short. They even copied a few of the scenes and story lines, which felt cheap. There was an odd sexual tension between the main protagonist and antagonist that felt forced, complete with an awkward sex scene. While the first film's grand speeches were well timed and powerful, the sequel has speeches galore. In fact, half the film is a series of rousing speeches. Ultimately, I didn't really care about the majority of the characters in the film and their inevitable deaths were meaningless. Expand
  2. Nov 3, 2014
    the best movie ever made, only second to the original. overuses special effects/ fight scenes perfectly like a good movie should, doesn't waste time on story and bores you to the point of mental masturbation
  3. Oct 6, 2014
    An obviously fabricated sequel to Frank Miller's 300 movie, even despite the obvious anti-brown-people message. Eva Green's character is a highly fictionalized third wave feminist; the actual person Artemisia was a Turkish queen who acknowledged that men were physically stronger than women and faced tactics and battle with the earnestness that it required to form a proper (and correct) opinion that the Battle of Salamis was futile - she did not walk around with imaginary lat syndrome fighting trained warriors with her 8-inch arms, making James Bond bad guy faces, she was hardly Greek in the sense that the Athenians were Greek, she wasn't some kind of sex fiend, and she didn't inspire fear in her men, either. The Greek people themselves were hairy and swarthy, not steroided anglo-saxons with shaved and greased up bodies. The story fails to depict that the Persian empire was something more than just a bunch of war mongers and (essentially) Islamic militants despite the battle taking place in the 5th century BC. A farce of a film, with a story that basically amounts to "let's go kill those guys!" and featuring misplaced woman power, roided out Scottish extras, extreme anachronism, even greater than Frank Miller would dare, marketed toward 10-25-year-old men who still go out to see things like the Transformers and TMNT movies. Expand
  4. Sep 28, 2014
    I personally enjoyed the first 300 movie. It was relatively well balanced, visually interesting, and had a good cast. Surely, and like many, I looked forward to this sequel...

What a major letdown. Seriously. Aside of the visuals that are still marvelous to watch and a jaw-dropping/electrifying performance by Eva Green (who surely had the time of her life making that movie), everything,
    and I mean E.V.E.R.Y.T.H.I.N.G., is a total downgrade from the first movie. The acting ranges from blandly mediocre to downright horrific, the dialogues are soulless, the amount of CGI violence is so overwhelming that it becomes unbearable, the antagonist seems to have no interest whatsoever in the events of the movie...

Man... they had all the right ingredients to make an epic movie. What we get is an almost forgettable sequel.
  5. Sep 22, 2014
    I read a lot of the other comments and I'll borrow the highlights that matched how I feel most closely.
    Foul, racist American propaganda painting the great and enlightened Persian empire as a bunch of savages. The "suicide bomber" was particularly sickening. Spot on with this comment. This is an example of a film that should never make it past the drawing board. (another pretty close
    feeling to what I had watching it). Ugh! Down right awful! (short but to the point). If they changed eva green's character to a male character and tweaked the story i mean a lot it would have a shot. (this is closest though to how I really felt). In what world are people stupid enough to watch these chicks lead armies fighting with the men. At on point the queen raises a sword, and all it's missing is her screaming VAGINA POWER!! with like a rainbow or something, that's the only way I could have thought to make this movie any worse and honestly it may have made me laugh so that could have even been an improvement. The only thing I'll take away from this movie other then my head hung low, will be to know that if I ever lead a country that's a huge world power with 10's of thousands of ships maybe I shouldn't let an 80 pound slave ship slut have complete control of them. It a strange situation to be at the end of a movie hoping that the guy beats the girls azz in moral combat. I'd say more but I feel I've put a lot more effort into this comment then the movie was worth. Expand
  6. Sep 4, 2014
    if you like a movie with a intermediate story but lots of action nd sloooooow moootiooooon then this is a movie for you and me! although the story is like almost the same as 300 the only difference is that the men now are greek and not on land but fight on boats..... ow yeah Slowmotion Bewbs :D
  7. Aug 31, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 300 Rise of an empire may not be that good in the eyes of other people but hot damn this movie was awesome! (For me that is). The story is pretty straight forward and takes place as the original 300 is going on. A soldier from Athens called Themisticleas is trying to hold of the Persian naval army until the 300 Spartans can unite Greece. What follows is balls-to-the-knee ACTION! I am sure many of you saw tens of thousands of plot holes but i was mesmerized by seeing Themisticleas jump from ship to ship, on a horse cutting through Persians like a video of a lawn mower on fast forward. People do questionable yet awesome things like jump in to a lake full of advancing enemy's and try and fight them all in the water. This move was time well spent for me but maybe not for other people. If you are in it for awesome fight scenes this will blow you away. Expand
  8. Aug 26, 2014
    300 was a beautiful experience that failed to be replicated in 300: Rise of an Empire. The story was uninspiring to the point I lost interest in the film shortly after pressing play.
  9. Aug 26, 2014
    I didn't think it was a great movie, but it was certainly better than the original. It had a decent story, with characters far more interesting than the predecessor "300." The action sequences were insane, and far better executed than most action movies today.
  10. Aug 21, 2014
    This sequel takes the battle to the seas with all of the gory, slow-motion action you would expect. However outside of Eva Green and an impressive visual style the movie fails to include anything really entertaining. Leaving this blood-bath feeling like a waste of time that only serves to exist to set up a 3rd "300" movie.

It's Eva Green who makes the movie even remotely worth watching.
    Her performance is excellent as always, and she once again captures a near-perfect combination of darkness and sexiness with her character. It's just a shame that everything around her is so lackluster. The plotting suffers because none of it's Greek characters, the ones we're supposed to be rooting for, are any good. Lead Sullivan Stapleton does the best with what he is given, but his character is too weak in the personality department to hold the film up.

With the action feeling dull, uninteresting, and filled with WAY too much slow-mo everything falls on the back of Green to keep this war afloat. Unfortunately not even she can save it from sinking into the bottom of the ocean of mediocrity. The only thing I can say is see it for Green or don't see it at all.
  11. Aug 12, 2014
    I loved 300 really awesome movie i never even blinked while watching it and my eyes turned red . honestly i hated 300 rise of an empire it sucked . this movie i waited for it so badly but it smacked me at the face once i watched it . it has a very bad continue . the characters is the worst of all . if they changed eva green's character to a male character and tweaked the story i mean a lot it would have a shot . one last thing the performance is REALLY REALLY BAD REALLY REALLY SUCKS . i gave it 1 because of the fight scenes only . Expand
  12. Aug 12, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. You know that movie you like? And then that sequel that comes out and ruins it? Well, this is that movie! I never loved 300, but it's super macho killing was moderately interesting when watched either drunk or stoned, but rise of an empire basically comes along and takes a huge dump on it. *Spoilers ahead *

Okay... Get this...
    According to this movie, you know that Xerxes god character? Well he has this sister right... And she's totally the brains of the operation and 100% manipulated everything that happened in movie 1 because... She's... Ugh... Female I guess... And it's only %10,000 unrealistic for a bunch of arab men to follow a woman into battle in ancient times, but WHATEVER, it's a movie... But... This whole flick is about her failed attempts to look arousing while smirking from ear to ear and it culminates in her telling off Xerxes really big to "Go sit on your golden throne and enjoy the safety my army provides you." If the makers of this film had any sort of respect for the 1st movie, they wouldn't reduce Xerxes to such a pathetic character, I mean, he already basically lost in movie 1, and now we're supposed to believe he can't even run his own army? What's left? Will the 3rd 300 movie feature a distant cousin who totally manipulated Xerxes, his sister and all of humanity into a war while leisurely eating grapes in a distant land? Makes about as much sense as this crap. I enjoyed the movie for a while but little sis running the show and her 13 foot brother being a weakling got old really fast. After she told him off, I didn't even bother watching the final battle. What for? I did jump ahead a little and saw Leonidas' queen charging the enemy, and instantly felt good about my decision to skip the last 25 minutes... It was bad. Expand
  13. Aug 8, 2014
    A Sequel-Prequel to 300. It doesn't match the original which to mind is one the best movies I have seen in the 21st century..but it gives it a good shot..Great CGI, production and cinematography..Pretty good actors in Stapleton and Green (Though I didn't buy her super toughness so much). But nowhere close to Gerard Butler's brilliance as Leonidas. Xerxes is underutilized and even his character a tad diminished here too..which was a pity..He was truly awesome in the first 300...Minus points were the use of modern cursing which was grating..and a hardcore sex scene???Why I don't know??...Major pluses were the fabulous fight scenes...The macho fight for Greece and freedom dialogue and the smashing slo mo stuff which i really love.. Expand
  14. Aug 4, 2014
    I didn't enjoy this as much as the first. They should have carried a sign that read "girl power" in this film. I Wasn't sure if I was watching "sucker punch" with women beating up men with their sheer force and strength. Only z. Snyder would conceive of something like this. My history may be a little Hazy but weren't women during this period property or slaves?

The action scenes weren't
    bad and the visuals were well done. The story I think hurt this film. Expand
  15. Aug 1, 2014
    This sequel simply cannot stand up to the original. I'm fine with a little dramatic licence with fight scenes or the historical narrative, but this film drifted far beyond the point of suspended belief.
  16. Jul 28, 2014
    Not even half as good as the first part.

Very weak performances, especially of the leading man. Even the guy playing Xerxes isn't as good as he was in the first movie. Perhaps the only one performance that can be deemed 'good' is that of Eva Green, and even she didn't have enough to work with. The script is too cheesy to have any emotional resonance. Even that sex scene was way too
    stupid.

The fight scenes are somewhat entertaining, though the idea of standard Greek soldiers easily killing the Immortals wasn't very convincing. These Immortals (aside from the entire Persian archery) were the only warriors who could kill some of Leonidas's 300.

Another thing that really bothered me was the blood. Too excessive. In 300, it was done within reason; and when it was, it looked real. But here, it's way overdone. Pools of blood coming out of people's bodies, and not realistically-looking as it should (and could) be. The slow-motion effect was also overused.

A very terrible and forgettable movie. Not worth the 90 minutes spent watching it.
  17. Jul 27, 2014
    The movie goes like this. War, war, war, war, sex and then some more war. There really isn't a plot here. The action was occasionally good. It wasn't boring, but it never rose above mediocre.
  18. Jul 27, 2014
    Visuals (not believable but they didn´t want them to be believable I suppose, so it´s ok). Just that. Nothing else is interesting. If anything, I´ll give a couple of actors kudos for putting some effort in this movie.
  19. Jul 25, 2014
    It took them seven years to make a sequel. There isn't much to say about this film. It's disappointing. The storyline isn't really anything interesting because its pretty much the typical revenge **** like in almost every other film thats being released nowadays, the characters are boring, they're the standard characters wanting vengeance, and the CGI is insanely bad. At some points it actually felt like I was looking at video game gameplay...

As a comparison as this film has large battle sequences, Lord of The Rings budget was $93 Million and the budget for this (ROAE) was $110 Million. A film from 2001 had more believable CGI then a film from 2014, and I'm not even a fan of Lord of The Rings.

Of course, they're making another sequel for this film when they could had easily just made this film another 30-40 minutes, then it would had been the end of it... Either way, I hope they do a better job next time. Although, what do we expect digging out a sequel to a 7 year old film? It'll probably be another 5 years for the sequel.
  20. Jul 15, 2014
    Unfortunately, 300 Rise of an Empire does not live up to the original 300. It can be said that if you liked the first one that you will like the sequel as well, but that's not entirely true. In my opinion, the first movie succeeded on more levels than just bloody swordplay and spectacular special effects. At it's heart, Leonidas was fighting for a political ideal that was bigger than himself and he knew it. He was expendable if it meant protecting the freedom of his family and people for even one more day.
    Rise of an Empire fails to connect on that level and is the lesser film for it. Still, there is a lot to enjoy here with some back story on Xerxes and some follow up with the treacherous hunchback. And finally Eva Green steals the show in every scene she is in and her performance alone makes the film worth watching. This 300 ends up being more a companion piece to the original 300, and that is good enough reason to watch. Just don't expect to be walking out of the theater on a triumphant high like the first one.
  21. Jul 14, 2014
    Brilliant special effects, a quote-ready script, and a stellar performance from Eva Green, 300: Rise of an Empire manages to live up to expectations and thoroughly entertain viewers.
  22. Jul 13, 2014
    Amazing film in 3D. Better than the 1st, and the 1st was pretty god dang amazing. Highly recommended, amazing action and CG sequences. Casting, acting, and performances are all dead-on brilliant. Audio, sound fx are grand and perfectly sourced. Soundtrack is genius, inspiring, epic. Best period action film in years (since Troy imho).
  23. Jul 8, 2014
    אם אהבתם את הסרט הראשון מהסיבות הנכונות, אתם לא תאהבו ואפילו תשנאו את הסרט הזה, אבל אם מה שאהבתם בסרט הראשון זה את האפקטים הדם והקרבות ולא הבנתם את הנקודה בסרט הקודם אתם תאהבו גם את זה ויכול להיות שגם יותר מהקודם. אבל עדיין יש שם כמה דברים טובים כמו זה שהם לפחות לא הרסו את הדמויות הישנות ועדיין מרגישים ב-480 לפנהס
  24. Jul 7, 2014
    ----->>>>>Watch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) freeWatch online 300 rise of an empire (2014) free Expand
  25. Jul 7, 2014
    Much better than the first. More historical, better narration, much less slow motion-- and the presence of an actual storyline. I hated the first but this one was one I'll probably buy.
  26. Jul 3, 2014
    Ugh! Down right awful!

(I decided to put as much into this review as the writers and actors, barring Eva Green who's always on point, put into this movie).
  27. Jun 27, 2014
    This was most expected sequel by me. I loved the first installment for its awesome vfx. So I anticipated similar visual pack in this, especially in digital 3d version the expectation was a bit higher. Who's this director and how did he get this project, miraculously, he managed to handle this mega task with mostly the not so famous actors, probably except Eva Green. It's really a great achievement for a filmmaker like him like Peter Jackson did a decade ago for 'The Lord of the Rings'. It may change his future, hope he continues with the remarkable works further on.

As I said I wanted a sequel to '300', but after seeing its ending I thought the title won't fit for the follow-up. It was cleverly written for 'Rise of an Empire'. In the first movie and this, the story had no much scope deliberately. Because the main intense was the stunts and visuals. In this part, OMG, it was one of the best digital 3Dised movie I ever saw. Some of the scenes, especially the sex scene was totally inappropriate. I never knew what was its purpose, maybe because to have a movie's one of the powerful dialogue that follow like this: You fight much harder than you f&%#.

‘‘There is only one thing to make sure of when the fighting starts.
    Don't get killed on the first day’’

The cast performances were good, in the end it was the graphics that ruled the movie. How amazingly created those scenes, sometimes it was mind blowing. I was just thinking what it would have done if the popular stars had in it. Might have been year's best, but I still consider it the upcoming Oscars strong contender in the visual effects category along with 'The Battle of the Five Armies'. If this won't get a place in the final list, that will be a greater insult for sure.

This was not exactly a follow-up story, instead simultaneously happening one of the first. The story that happens other side of the country which meets in the middle and goes on with the originally intended. The vicious villain Xerxes played by a Brasilian actor had extended display of his role which briefs how he became the god-king. Without a second thought Eva Green is this movie's strength. Would have been an unimaginably worse without her, I guess. This movie is for graphic geeks like me and also who love comic strip mode movies. You should try it in digital 3D then the entertainment is guaranteed, but still would not be your favourite of the year if I am not wrong.

7.5/10
  28. Jun 19, 2014
    -Blood effects were "overdone"
    -Fighting looked very unreal almost like a videogame and didn't fit the theme of the movie
    -This movie is clear example of why moviemakers should not abuse CGI as it destroys the immersiveness and
    no one takes it seriously for instance how can a skinny female slice through piles of armoured warrior in one stoke and pour gallons of blood.What a joke of a movie.
  29. Jun 15, 2014
    Having only seen the briefest of trailers for 300: Rise of an Empire I was not too sure what to expect. (Even with the title hints)

The follow up to 300 turns out to be set at the same time as the first film, only your seeing battles being fought mainly on the open waves. Quality wise, this film is on the same par as the first one, with great CGI and the same stylised scenes.

However
    the story has a little less backbone, clutching at straws at certain times. That's not to say the story is terrible, just not as deep. You are introduced to several new characters and some old ones which end up being your main focus of this film.

You still get the same level of violence as you did in 300, only this time its a little unnecessary. Far too many blood gurgling scenes with unrealistic blood letting, which add nothing to the film or story. The level of swearing has also been ramped up, although i'm undecided if this is a good or a negative thing as far to often in films you find either the swearing missing or too extreme for the actions on screen. Maybe Rise of an Empire got this level just about right?

Either way this is not a film for little ones or for a quiet night in watching a film with the wife.

Overall, the film is worth a rent if you have seen the first one. But don't expect the same quality of film here.
  30. Jun 6, 2014
    It ended just as it was getting interesting. Lots of flashy slow-mo bits and action, but it left me wanting more.

Also the immortals' combat sequence were obviously done in CGI, their movements were unrealistic and they stood out a bit, it was also a bit annoying how the Athenians' combat skill completely disappeared when fighting the immortals. I know it's necessary to show a skill
    gap, but come on.. Expand
  31. Jun 6, 2014
    300: Rise of an Empire has even more gore and more slow motion action pieces than its predecessor but incorporates a story that seems to have less at stake. Entertaining for the most part but just a bridge for a third installment.
  32. Jun 5, 2014
    The first 300 wasn't an amazing film.
    But it had a number of well executed scenes for its budget which made an impact.
    This is completely lost in the second film. Like many sequels, its completely flat. Ironically, graphically it is superior to the first one, you can see the producers really worked on creating beautiful environments like the seas of Greece or the Empire of Persia. One
    exception to this is the surprisingly awfully rendered CGI blood which is very distracting and which somehow wasnt a problem in the first movie. Incredible nobody caught that problem.
    In any case, the movie is completely bland and flat. Somehow the cast doesnt deliver the same memorable emotional impact the first one did. They are unbelievable. The Greek fighters look like English teens out of London with muscles built in fitness centres (not battles), and Eva Green -although an amazing actress- doesnt make sense as a war leader supposed to lead an Army of macho Persians.
    Also the whole scenario is simplistic and the scenes dont make sense. You really get the feeling they tried to reproduce the same impact as the first film, but they didn't.

Overall a huge let-down. But still to be watched for any fans of period films.
  33. Jun 1, 2014
    This sequel just didn't live up to the first film. Sullivan Stapleton delivers a decent performance but the most notable performance was Eva Green's. Being that this is supposed to be full scale war, I expected it to be more epic than the first.
  34. May 25, 2014
    300: Rise of an Empire is an ok movie i knew going into it that it wasnt going to be anything great but as a sequel it stands ok i guess. For the most part the plot fails, the cgi fails, the acting fails well other then Eva Green she was really the only likable character and really the best part of the film. The action was good so that does help for the rest of the movie but i will say that this movie does has a ton of blood. While i was on my way home i remembered the poster with the wave made of blood for the movie yeah that is no joke its like that. Ill be honest and say that i wouldnt have watched this in theaters but i went with some friends that wanted to watch it so if it wasnt for them i would have just seen this when outs out on blu ray/dvd and would recommend people just watch it that way and not waste your money.

Overall i give it a 6.0
  35. May 9, 2014
    Beautifully painted art on canvas like visuals, gory action sequences and Eva Green makes this movie a visual feast to watch. The amount of work that's put in doesn't disappoint the viewers.
  36. May 3, 2014
    The only reason I'm not giving this a 0 or a 1 is because of the sexy jew actress, the movie is horrible otherwise and not worth watching, she makes the movie barely watchable, otherwise it would have been an even larger fail.
  37. Apr 27, 2014
    300 rise of an empire ,is masterfully crafted,brilliantly choreographed,interesting war film.It stays true to the original 300 ,it maintains the unique look and feel of the first movie but makes it even bigger, badder and bolder.and while it's short 1 and a half length keeps it from showing its true self and keeps you wishing for more this is still one of the most badass,visually arresting films i've ever seen.

As a big fan of the first movie,i was really excited to see this movie,especially after hearing this is a prequel-sequel companion of the first one,the events take place before ,during and after the 300,which itself is a unique spin ,that you don't see that often.The performances given by Sullivan Stapleton and Eva Green are terrific especially Eva Green's Artemisia ,she is a scary,crazy,seductive and not-apologetic,you don't want to mess with this bad girl.As for Sullivan's Themistocles he's great and inspirational speeches ,they may not be on par with Gerrard Butler's Leonidas,but he definetely fights a lot better than him.

The story itself is quite good and intriguining ,sure it's no masterpiece but hey its based off a graphic novel done by Frank Miller,so you can forgive it.The backstory of characters is thankfully given so you can have a lot more reasons to care for them and even Artemisia has a surprisingly heartbreaking past that gets you to understand her nature and why she truly wants revenge on Greece.

But it's the stylistic action and gore that gets people to watch 300,and from that standpoint the movie is glorious amounts of kick-ass fun.The director Noam Murro maintains Zack Snyder's perfect feel of all-out war ,he adds more slo-mo shots that perfectly captures the fighting skill of Themistocles,within the first 5 minutes you already get a fight scene ,the movie gets this well prepared rythm of telling the story and embracing the action.The blood effects might not be for everyone to like but i certainly got used to it and started to enjoy the hell out of it.The sea battles also dynamically change up to combat and make it a damn fun movie and not repetitious.There is an end fight which is both a dissapointment and satisfaction.it's satisfying because it feels extremely epic with Themistocles riding a horse jumping from ship-to-ship tearing Persians limb from limb and ending the fight with Artemisia,now the problem of it is that it ends very abruptly and makes you wish just a tad bit more but maybe in a sequel.

And it definetely will have a sequel with box office surpassing the budget and the box office of the first movie,this epic series is going to go on for a long time.300 rise of an empire is a MUST SEE for the fans of the original and fans of action movies,it's a wild ride from start to finish that does not slow down during talks ,but ends with an open note.

P.S. if you get a chance to see it in 3D absolutely see it like that,it's a real visual treat.
  38. Apr 22, 2014
    What was I didn't understand what was director and the movie maker was doing there. Movie was complete failure after a great first movie we were expecting something greater but it was disappointing. And cast was not right.
  39. Apr 16, 2014
    Not the worst movie I`ve seen. Visually I liked it, although I understand the criticism of it. It really is more like a series of paintings than a conventional movie; seeking to capture the style of the comic book from which the story originates. As with the original 300 most of the historical anecdotes from Herodotus are there, sort of, with a lot of Miller`s creative twists added in. Nothing is historically accurate per say, but then not too many things are entirely made up either, with the notable exception of the Spartans appearing at Salamis rather than Plataiai. Perhaps I should rephrase and say that not too many narrative elements are made up, while a lot of the more...decorative stuff is made up entirely and above all hilariously. Including transvestite 8 foot tall Xerxes making a pact with an evil god, Immortals filing their teeth and all the rest of it. Personally I don`t think it was quite as imaginative in this regard as the first movie. At least there weren`t obese executioners with meat cleaver prosthetics for hands in Rise of an Empire.

However, the story manages to be weaker than in 300 and I was sort of waiting for it to end and leave me alone for the last 30 minutes or so. It`s not that it`s exactly boring, but it just seems to disappear into the visual effects somewhat and abandons the actual historical intrigue it could have drawn on as much as any contrived romantic intrigue it seemed to be considering. Themistokles is stiffly portrayed and so is I think his counterpart Artemisia. They are restricted to inspirational huddle-speeches and incomprehensible behavior respectively. I think it`s fair to say that while Themistokles may very well have been this dull, Artemisia was not borderline psychotic in real life.
    The acting is in fact fairly embarrassing all round, as is the caricature of the Persian degenerates vs the noble Athenians. In its defense one might present that this was more or less how the Greeks saw themselves at the time, being massive chauvinists after all. And while I`m sure Xerxes had a few black and brown people in his army - after all he was ruling the Middle East as far as the Indus - I seem to recall something about the Persians being Indo-European, and therefore presumably white themselves. Some of the inventions and visual schemes are Miller`s and can`t therefore be blamed on Murro. But Miller didn`t make the Persians black or brown as I recall, so this is entirely on the director.
    Whether it`s crude, racist propaganda designed to glorify the USA -which in my mind has very little in common with ancient Greece in any way, - or just a goofy attempt at displaying the cultural division the Greeks undoubtedly felt, I`m not sure. But considering the base level of US propaganda against Iran these days perhaps it might at least be advisable not to have Persian suicide bombers in movies about the Persian Wars.
    As for oppressed women and slaves this was just how all societies were at this time, and for all this the Greeks did in fact invent the modern, civilized notion of political freedom and popular rule. Obviously it had to start somewhere and as it happens it started with free men and didn`t really expand beyond this for about 2400 years after the Persian Wars. But I must say that people who belittle ancient Greece because of these restrictions are ignorant to the point of imbecility. And this concludes my rant against political correctness...

All in all it might be worth watching this for the visuals if nothing else, unless you absolutely hated the original movie. If you liked the original then chances are you`ll like this one. I still think it falls a bit short though. When you know the source material here, and are at least somewhat aware of the particulars of the Persian Wars, then you also know how much is left out which would have made the movie a lot better. Classical Greece was born as much in the mud at Plataiai as at Salamis yet it`s not even in the movie. And neither is Pausanias who was the other leader of the Greek victory after the death of Leonidas. Instead the Spartans come sailing, led by a woman! And thousands of dead Spartans turn over in their graves....
  40. Apr 16, 2014
    A total waste of time and money. This movie could've been something BIGG! Too much meaningless slow-motion scenes, very weak story + poor acting. An episode of SPARTACUS alone is worth both 300 movies.
  41. Apr 9, 2014
    This review contains spoilers. This film is aimed at making Americans (analogous to the Greeks, westerners) feel good about themselves. It takes what was a wonderful history (read Herodotus Books 6-9), and uses it to create a cartoon - a caricature of what the producers think will be a more appealing story, but is yet inferior to the real one. I would much rather have seen thousands of Spartan warriors (among the rest of the Greeks) fighting at Plataea than seen Spartans coming to save the day at Salamis IN BOATS! That's insane. Both the Greek naval victory at Salamis (led by the Athenians), and the Greek land victory at Plataea (led by the Spartans) individually make better stories. I feel sick just writing about it. It's an indictment the creators of this film are making of the audience - that we are idiots, and they are correct in that assessment. Collapse
  42. Apr 8, 2014
    It was not as good as the first 300, but that was expected when I heard Gerard Butler wouldn't be returning.

The story was not so good and I didn't actually understand it that well, I also would have preferred it to be about Spartans instead of the Athenians but Themistocles was played well.

However, the combat was fantastic and I could tell from the noises of excitement from the
    other people in the Cinema they though the same. Expand
  43. Apr 7, 2014
    Thus movie definitely isn't for everybody, but I enjoyed watching this a lot. The movie is action packed and full of excellent fighting scenes, with sometimes fake looking gore and blood, which still seemed awesome none the less. I love the actors and I love the scenery, I'd watch this again if given a chance.
  44. Apr 7, 2014
    If you go into this without expecting anything, then it will be alright. However, if you set the bar unreasonably high; then you'll spend two and a half hours watching garbage.
  45. Apr 5, 2014
  46. Apr 5, 2014
    Tries much too hard to reproduce the successes of the original, but falls short in nearly every way. There were a few cool action moments as they fight on the sea, but the plot is totally uninteresting and the characters are too cliche to like. I might have been able to enjoy it as a short action/semi-hero movie with style, but it took itself much too seriously to enjoy it. It seems to drag on and on, trying to produce depth that it just didn't have. It took too long to tell a story, and the story was too cliche and uninteresting to be the focal point. Pass. Expand
  47. Apr 4, 2014
    This is an example of a film that should never make it past the drawing board. Its vapid and pointless story drags on from one CGI scene to the other, until it finally ends. Thank goodness, now I can go home and play some video games because the movies today aren't doing it for me anymore.
  48. Apr 3, 2014
    Not very good, really. Not even as good as the first movie, and that wasn't that amazing, even though it was fun. The violence here becomes repetitive and mechanical, and the whole thing becomes draggy and portentious. And too long. Some of the actors are OK (Green), though there are certainly wooden performances as well. The sequences involving Sparta (and the tedious Spartan will-we, won't-we join in dynamic) were particularly disjointed, for some reason. Special ridicule should be reserved for the cavalry charge at sea, which wins the award for the stupid spectacle for spectacle's sake approach to stretching movies out pointlessly. Some good action sequences, but overall, a bit disappointing. Expect another sequel, though. Expand
  49. Apr 3, 2014
    If you like slo-mo action sequences, this film delivers. Feels a little more long winded than the original, but certainly delivers exactly what the fans expected.
  50. Mar 31, 2014
    300 Rise of an Empire is an aesthetically pleasing film. The battles scenes and setting are visually stunning. For me the story does fall flat, and the characters with an exception of one or two are very generic and predictable. You see this movie for the battle scenes and they don't disappoint. Not as groundbreaking as the first but still worth a watch
  51. Mar 29, 2014
    300: Rise of an Empire is a good movie overall, there are good actions scenes with great special effects and a lot of blood , Some drama parts are, sometimes, cliche an it can be little bit boring..., but if you don't care about that you will enjoy the movie, there are good actors like Eva Green, Rodrigo Santoro and Sullivan Stapleton.
  52. Mar 28, 2014
    If you loved the original 300, then this movie brings more of the same testosterone-filled action, stylized fight scenes, awesome costumes, over-the-top CGI effects, overdramatic pre-battle speeches, slow motion, unrealistic blood, shirtless men yelling, shirtless men dying, shirtless men killing one another, etc. etc. Doesn't really add much to this formula, except possibly Eva Green, who brings a great performance and makes a relatable villain. Needless to say, if you didn't like the original then this film won't do anything to change your opinion about the franchise, but if you liked the original, then you should definitely check the sequel out as well. Expand
  53. Mar 27, 2014
    This movie was a blast... Noam Murro is an amazing director, this movie was epic... It has it all.
    - Casting 8.9/10
    - Special Effects 9/10
    - Screen Play 8.7/10
    - Sound Effects 9.3/10
    - Story 7.9/10
    - Sex Scene 20000/10
  54. Mar 26, 2014
    I had to give up on this one somewhere around the halfway point. Maybe something interesting happens after the one hour mark, but I wasn't willing to stick it out.

To be fair I found the original more than a little underwhelming, so I'm probably not in the target demographic, but I was hoping that the sequel might provide at least a little entertainment value. Unfortunately it seems to
    be little more than a group of interchangeable bearded men in good shape dancing around a sprinkler system spraying far too much CGI blood. If you like that sort of thing you'll probably eat it up, but I'm sure there are already more than a few 'adult' websites that cater to that fetish.

P.S. It's probably time to retire the technique of slllooooowwwiiing the action down before speedingitupastheswordstrikes.
  55. Mar 26, 2014
    Stupid film. Which nation is the good one?? The one who killed a family and raped the little girl or the one who saved the girl??? The cast is awful except Eva Green...
  56. Mar 24, 2014
    I absolutely enjoyed the film. The story, the acting, the atmosphere, the gore... just thrilling. To top it all off; I watched it in IMAX 3D, so it felt like I was there!
  57. Mar 23, 2014
    The only thing I find myself thinking when I see a movie like this and then arrive @ metacritic, is what on Earth these people are thinking who give it a positive score. I wish I could be in their head for just an hour, just to see how truly stupid these people are.
  58. Mar 23, 2014
    In order for us, the viewers, to understand the appeal and validity of 300: Rise Of An Empire, it is important to remember its roots. If you bear the original in mind, and then ask yourself what progress has been made in the form of storytelling, visual invention, direction, action and scripting between this and that, then you might start to form an answer as to why this is not as great as some have claimed, all on your own.

Telling partly the same story as the original film, but changing the perspective is a nice idea, if for no other reason than the possibility of maybe witnessing something previously unseen from Leonidus' adventures the last time around. Unfortunately, there is no new appearance from Gerard Butler here, but many of the previous cast do make welcome returns. Lena Headey's Queen Gorgo, to the now ex-King Leonidus, is just as beautiful, bullish, stubborn and independently oligarchical as ever, but probably features even less than the first outing. David Wenham is back again as Dilios, the one that got away, returning to Sparta to tell the tales of valour, courage and sacrifice that the original three hundred achieved in their battle with the god-king Xerxes (Rodrigo Santoro), who is also back, having flesh added to a character that was sorely lacking a backstory the first time around.

But the real focus of this new adventure (or new version of an old story with added opinion) concentrates on the leader of the Athenian fleet. Yes, ladies and gentlemen please welcome Sullivan Stapleton, as the difficult to pronounce and even trickier to spell Themistocles. And any new hero really needs a new adversary, so as if fighting the entire Persian Army and a King (who is also a God, don't forget), we are introduced to the testicle-shrivelling Artemisia played by Eva Green. Artemisia, the real power behind Xerxes' throne is rampant, driven, single-minded and extremely dangerous. Femme fatales don't come much more 'fatale' than this here **** from hell.

But for all of the new faces and mostly welcome old ones, what is it we really have here? The same comic-book stylised battles, ad-infinitum, slow-motion death throes, spattered scarlet aplenty, interspersed with rousing speeches and verbal sparring. Like its parent, Rise Of An Empire is beautful to look at and grand and glorious in scale and intent. But strip from it the eye-candy, which is incase we forget, the real appeal of the original, we are left with a passable script and less enthralling acting than before. Eva Green's performance as Artemisia is probably the most interesting, if not the most rounded. Lena Headey's return as Gorgo is the most fulfilling, but she has the fortunate happenstance of not having to carry the entire film on her shoulders. Aussie Stapleton however, is responsible for the rise or fall of his fleet and the film and honestly, you have to question whether he has the same presence as the formidable Butler as Leonidus. There will be no 'THIS IS SPARTA!!' quotes this time around, I'd wager.

In summary, an average return that thankfully doesn't undewhelm visually, but fails to really add anything but previously missing plot holes in a story we have already seen before. With some interesting, if not altogether satisfying characters, Rise Of An Empire is a sickly thrill a minute, but like a decent sweet and sour chicken, you'll probably be hungry again in half an hour.
  59. Mar 22, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Its a good movie..not a great one nor inspirational
    watch it in 3D for cinematography,graphics,stunning visual graphics scenery,slo-mo action scenes

about the story : watch what happens in the side of original 300
    A navy battle

-ve : lots of graphic blood '; spills on camera
    slow second half followed by comedy

Rated R : for Curse words & a nude sex scene
    +ve : not boring
  60. Mar 21, 2014
    I have to say i was not looking forward to this film, i watched the trailer a few times and was going to give it a miss but im so glad i watched it, i thought that the story was pretty good, the way it was close to 300 i liked that, the comic book violence was spot on, the blood was a little dodgy in 2D so i wish i had seen it in 3D, the acting was pretty good, Eva Green was really good she really surprised me, and she looked hot :) one thing that was a downer the middle of the film got a bit flat, it started off fast paced then lost it a bit but it soon picked up pace. I left the cinema with a huge smile on my face and i am really looking forward to the next instalment. Expand
  61. Mar 21, 2014
    i will give 10 out of 10 for this movie. long time waiting, really worth watching at the big screens. It has alots of new features, from the costumes designers up to the actors that really played an important role into this movie. has to be the greatest war movie type of niche.
  62. Mar 19, 2014
    I thought this movie was great. I loved the first 300 and this one was just as good.

They basically take the time to frame every shot and angle and it's great action.

I will definitely see the 3rd installment in 2018 or whenever it comes out in the future.
  63. Mar 19, 2014
    As far as the graphics go, the visuals are amazing. Smooth and great looking 3d efects that did not irritate my eyes. The story itself was amazing, taking place at the same time as the first movie. And i really liked the naval idea, because i thought to make combat at sea would be hard to pull of, but they did s great job mixing different combat tactics making it intresting. The actors were good both in acting and visually, tho not as tough as the spartan Expand
  64. Mar 19, 2014
    Вторая часть полностью копирует первую в сюжете и очерёдности сцен: Сначала горстку войск посылают на сражение с могучей армией, среди них есть отец и сын, один из которых погибнет ; горстка вешает люлей в первые дни ; Затем главнокомандующего вызывают на "переговоры" и тот отвечает отказом капитуляции ; затем их пытаются взорвать, но не выходит ; затем эпичный финал.
    Но без колоритных
    спартанцев и золото-бордовой цветовой гаммы (которую сменили на сине-серую) - фильм проигрывает первой части.
    Жалею что ходил на это убожество в кино! Никому не советую.
  65. Mar 17, 2014
    Interesting movie. It just shows what 300 is all about in a movie with non-significant mistakes in the development, showing a nice background and a story with some problems at the moment of showing the meanness gore during the majority of the movie with unnecessary slow motion and fake blood effects, but at last its saved by Eva Green's performance, with a deep and complete character that is enjoyable to watch. Expand
  66. Mar 16, 2014
    This movie was a huge disappointment, because I fell so much in love with the first one. The actors and actresses in the first one were way more passionate and believably intense. It was boring the fighting seemed unrealistic and sort of video gamish. The blood looked fake. Just wasn't impressed
  67. Mar 15, 2014
    Sullivan Stapleton does a good enough job trying to replace Gerald Butler as the leading male and his performance is satisfying enough that you won't miss Butler that much. Eva Green was a great female lead though and does a good job. The rest of the cast is solid.

Plot wise, It's pretty much exactly like the first film but contains a lot of backstory about Xerxes and how he became the
    god king that he is. It's sort of a prequel/sequel rolled into one. Sort of predictable though and because of that the movie sort of lost my interest half way through, The ending was lack-luster as well. The action is entertaining but I think the 3D sort of hurt it because you constantly had blood splattering on the screen and it was just sort of boring to look at, 3D wise, after a while.

Overall, Despite being a sequel to a great action film, It actually sort of lives up to the epicness of the original. Sure it may not be as good but I enjoyed watch it and so did my family.
  68. Mar 15, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The original film, 2007's 300, had a cultural impact that no one could predict and made Zack Snyder the household name he is today. However, 300: Rise of an Empire, which acts as an entertaining and well made piece of cinema, lacks the charisma and originality that the the first film delivered.

Rise of an Empire acts as both a prequel and sequel to 300, telling the story of Themistokles, an Athenian warrior who desperately attempts to unite Greece's cities so that they may defeat Xerxes navy, lead by Artemisia (Brilliantly played by Eva Green) that threatens to encircle and destroy Greece. Though the film suffers from poor character development and a rushed explanation of the origins of Xerxes's power, it does get right what the first film did expertly and that is the combat scenes. Every battle is a gratuitous flair of severed limbs, glorious slow motion and geysers of blood, and is choreographed fantastically. Fans of the first film will certainly appreciate these moments and it is these battles, both on land and sea that carry the film.

However, Rise of an Empire does have its flaws that separates it from the greatness of the original. With the exception of Artemisia and to an extent, Xerxes, the film has little to no character development and unlike 300, I felt no connection to the supporting cast, as they were so ordinary that none of them stood out. Xerxes's rise to power was glossed over and done in roughly 10 minutes and is highly unsatisfactory to any that are unfamiliar with the fiction. While the jumps into the past were pleasing as they added context to the story of Leonidas and his 300, it was poorly initiated and chopped back and forth which halted the flow of events and the film suffered as a result.

In conclusion, despite its flaws (and they are distinct) 300: Rise of an Empire is an highly entertaining, albeit forgettable, sequel that will no doubt have you grinning at the sheer spectacle and ridiculousness of it all.
  69. Mar 15, 2014
    Se il primo 300 meritava un 2 questo merita un 1 per la presa per il culo di farti credere che vogliono dare spessore alla trama e ai personaggi cattivi.
  70. Mar 15, 2014
    Such a horribly written script! movie cliches one after another mixed with overly done slow mode fight scenes. The color saturation was so badly done that it made the actors look horrible! The diversion from historical events were also annoying, not that I planned to see an accurate re-telling, it was laughable how sad.
  71. Mar 15, 2014
    Visually this sequel to 300 is very impressive. The colors and visuals on screen make it so you cant look away. However like with most sequels I believe they tries to put too much in this movie and thus missed the mark. The battles lacked their previous amazement and there was very little to do with the spartans (reasons we all loved the first so much) but they have set themselves up for an epic 3rd installment hopefully between the spartans and the persians Expand
  72. Mar 13, 2014
    Totally Forgettable. Too much cliche scenes and very weak story makes this sequel one of the worst I have ever seen. Amazing how the trailer could be so deceiving. Don't waste your money!
  73. Mar 13, 2014
    I've liked Eva Green since Casino Royale and now I have even more reason to be a fan. She gives the movie such a spark when she is on the screen she makes the rest of the cast seem a little boring. While not as good as the first "300" it is still an enjoyable experience.
  74. Mar 13, 2014
    So I had pretty low expectations watching this after I read critic reviews. Is it as good as 300 (the original) no but it plays things out in a different manner and it does work well. Eva Green stole the show she was amazing. Her performance will come to mind for years to come, yes she is that good in this movie. Overall the acting was top notch. This film had a more political take on the war but I thought they did a great job with it. Visuals were great, music was outstanding. I was skeptical but I'm glad I saw it anyway. Eva Green's performance alone is well worth the price of admission. Expand
  75. Mar 12, 2014
    I waited the whole movie for a movie to start. It never did. The story is nonexistent, unclear, and inconsequential. The whole thing piggybacks on your remembrance of the first movie. It's not bad, just sort of empty. Plays it safe
  76. Mar 12, 2014
    Eva Green's performance in this movie is amazing and it makes the movie more epic to watch! sure there were the fighting sequences, and how Xerxes became a God King not to mention, the parallel between the first movie and the second movie and more! but honestly the thing that stands out the most is Eva Green if she doesn't deserve the praise then it's obvious that movie critics don't have taste the reason it's a 9/10 it's because why bother making a parallel movie when clearly you can fuse both 300 and this movie together it makes much more sense story wise Expand
  77. Mar 12, 2014
    this was what i expected it to be bloody gory action film. i enjoyed it personally the acting was surprisingly good and the action scenes were awesome! overall for what its worth i thought it was a solid movie and sequel to 300. the lead actor of Themistocles performed really well
  78. Mar 12, 2014
    300 - Rise of an Empire tells another view from his predecessor, witch shows a history before and after the predecessor 300. 300 - Rise of an Empire shows who is Zack Snyder, in visuals, animations, especial effects, photography and all others topics in the gaphics area this movie rocks, Zack Snyder is great in combat scenes, the camera angles is just perfect, and you know exactly what is happening in the combat.

But as always, just epic scenes with bunch of combat and slow motion can't make the movie great, the History of the movie is well telled, but I think the movie needs a little bit of more explanation of the history, how everything happened, you just see a bit of history and bunch of combat scenes in a loop all the movie, witch was a little bit awkward.

Seeing by this point, as what a complete movie needs to offer you, 300 - Rise of an Empire is a 5 or 6 out 10 movie, but the objective of the movie is to impress you with the high quality action scenes, with the slow motions scenes and with the all blood, and this object the movie completes well, as a complete movie needs? No. But is a 8 out 10 movie in a lot of ways.
  79. Mar 12, 2014
    Gran pelicula,por supuesto no a la altura de la 1era,pero aun asi una gran pelicula con escenas memorables, no puedo esperar para ver la 3, q sera seguramente la ultima
  80. Mar 11, 2014
    300: Rise of an Empire was an action-filled ride similar to its predecessor, but amped to a much higher degree. The story sustained itself by the power of the sexes and provided closure to the first film. Frank Miler’s story and Zack Snyder’s film adaptation were impressive. It was like experiencing graphic fiction come to life. It was a surreal experience.
  81. Mar 11, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First of all, Eva Green is beautiful, sexy, bad ass, and really good to look at. That alone is good enough.

Second, this is not a historical movie. Nor is the first 300 movie. For example, the battle at Thermopylae is not "Leonidas and his 300" but Leonidas, 300, and some Greek hoplites/levies. This movie is NOT historical at all. Artemisia is not leading the battle of Salamis, the seamanship of the Persians are better than the Greeks, the Persians use the same type of ships than the Greeks, and the rocks trick is used at the final battle of Salamis, instead in the opening battle.

Third, Eva Green is a beautiful women.

Fourth, I am an action junkie so my score will reflect that. There are a lot of gore and blood. The sword battles are not so nice, mostly the action scenes are jumbled of one-on-one battles, or hero vs. tons of enemies battle, while it's better if the action also focuses on the wide carnage of the battle. The CGI is great, but CGI can't help weak action scenes. The Persians, are, as usual, slaughtered by the "Greek farmers". This is boring, the Persians should have a chance of an EVEN FIGHT. In fact, the Persian soldiers should have upper hand against "standard" Greek levies. The only Persian capable of fighting back is The Immortals, but these also will be slaughtered in large number if they fight the Hero. Seriously, this thing bores me.

Fifth, there are so many plot holes. For instance, the Spartans refusal to help. Seriously? The Spartans are so badass in the first movie. They are warrior society, yes they have lost their king and the kings bodyguard, but after losing this they think "no more"? The other city states farmers and artisans are fighting to death, against greater number with less training and less martial skill, and yet still fight? The Spartans do look like a douche. And in the end, the Spartans still have a large number of soldiers, where are these guys in the first movie?

Good movie to have in theater, but you don't have to buy it.
    Half of my score is given to Eva Green and her good "scene".
  82. Mar 11, 2014
    It was okay. I found 300: Rise of an Empire to be somewhat entertaining, but somehow the blood effects are even less realistic than those in the original 300. The cast is also quite pale compared to the original(Gerard Butler, Michael Fassbender, etc.) Eva Green was really over the top but I suppose in a good way. I don't really think it's necessary to see in theaters.
  83. Mar 11, 2014
    meh....................................................................................................................................................
  84. Mar 11, 2014
    This adaptation of Frank Miller’s graphic novel tells the story of greatly-outnumbered Greeks who valiantly fight the Persian hordes, this time mostly on water. The style is operatic: full of grand dramatic moments, oversized emotions and dazzling violent ballets. The animated visuals are beautiful and thick (with lots more slomo blood this time). It's more amped up than the original and features two women in the battles, but it's still the same style with pretentious dialogue and highly stylized action. Expand
  85. Mar 11, 2014
    I watched this movie at the cinema and it is a really good movie it's not better than the first 300 but this movie is really good i can feel the 2014 touch in the movie! I give it 10/10 becuase it's a movie with the 2014 touch!

My wore may game - Alidengote 2014
  86. Mar 10, 2014
    Rubbish film, but who knew that Eva Green had such nice breasts? At least the first film presented a plausible idea that 300 could fight off thousands in a confined space, but thousands of ships against twenty? Stupid, stupid, stupid. And while they're doing this, everyone just stands around on ships with no defences. No one fires arrows at each other; they just wait and try to ram ships.
  87. Mar 10, 2014
    i thought the movie was predictable at moments, dosent mean the movie was bad. Even though it was predictable i didnt find it boring, it was able to stay interested with the story and found it easy to follow. The action scenes also worked really well and i had thought the blood and effects looked really cool too.
  88. Mar 9, 2014
    First the good news. It's a great looking film, and Eva Green was one bad ass chick. On the flip side, the leading man did not have the charisma of Gerard Butler from the first film. The battles get tiresome after awhile, as there is only so many ways you can stab and slice people with a sword. Not a horrible film thanks to its look, but not a Blu-ray purchase either.
  89. Mar 9, 2014
    This movie seems to have evolved from the original and the attempt to mobilize the most complex production with the intent of recasting Greek mythology for a modern viewer is simply unparalleled. Death and Glory are on center stage.
  90. Mar 9, 2014
    It lacks the unworldly mythologies of the first title, but its spectacular animation will still be entertaining enough. 300: Rise of an Empire is the prequel, event in between and also sequel of 300, this might be overreaching as it cumbersomely tries to tell wider scale background of the war. Eva Green was amazing as the Nemesis, and the lil background story did good to the character, however, 300 was Epic because of the Spartans. an almost invincible breed of warriors. Leonidas was also way charismatic than whatever Stapleton delivered... Sadly this movie is 90% about Greeks fighting.. and for that, i reckon you're better off watching Troy. Expand
  91. Mar 9, 2014
    Disjointed mess. Way too much CG blood. Reality suspension aside, the effects were terrible.
    Just a poor attempt to play the 'stylish cinematography' while over saturating poorly constructed fight scenes.

Weak sauce.
  92. Mar 9, 2014
    300: Rise of an Empire is a very well-filmed gory action movie, and the absence of Zack Snyder as the director is barely noticeable (for me, at least). The fight scenes are fierce, bloody and gripping, I absolutely loved them. Eva Green is both sexy and dangerous, and the film's visceral sex scene is the culmination of those qualities. The soundtrack is quite fitting and memorable, and Black Sabbath's War Pigs during the end credits really make you go out the cinema hall in style. The dialogues are sometimes too primitive and the speeches about Freedom™ and Democracy™ are boring, but those downsides are outweighed by the movie's strengths in my opinion. Anyway, a solid action movie I recommend to watch. Expand
  93. Mar 9, 2014
    300: Rise of an Empire was a really good movie but it failed to deliver on the epicness of the first film. But I'll first touch on the positives. The visuals are really, REALLY cool. It seemed like the blood spurts weren't done quite as well as the first one but overall the visuals in this movie were fantastic. Whether it was Artemisia igniting the Greek Navy or Themistokles leading the Greek forces, the special effects and visuals were a definitely strength. The acting was also really good. Was it "Oscar-worthy"? No but it's a different kind of movie. I thought the actors delivered their roles well, especially Eva Green, who I thought stole the movie. Her beauty is stunning, sure, but she did an incredible job with Artemisia. The plot also developed well and I thought they connected it to the first film really well. Instead of this being a sequel, though, it's essentially occurring at the same time as the first movie, just at a different location. That being said, that is also one of the elements that hurt the movie, in my humble opinion. The movie builds and builds and builds and then right when you think you're about to get the biggest battle of the film, it ends. That is just a part of what I consider the weakest area of the movie... there just isn't enough combat. The first movie was littered with epic fight sequences while this one focused more on the politics. I think they forgot why so many people loved the first one. It was different from the Troys and the Bravehearts and the Gladiators. It was in your face war and had a charm and joy to it. This movie, while good in its own right, lost a lot of that charm and joy and tried to take a more serious cinematic approach, ultimately missing its mark in the process. Expand
  94. Mar 9, 2014
    It's simple really, if you liked the first one, you'll probably like this one as well. As a fan of the first film, the was everything I wanted. Sometime I just want to see big burly men cut each other with sharp objects. :)
  95. Mar 9, 2014
    It lacks the unworldly mythologies of the first title, but its spectacular animation will still be entertaining enough. 300: Rise of an Empire is the prequel, event in between and also sequel of 300, this might be overreaching as it cumbersomely tries to tell wider scale background of the war. There are more characters, each with their own tale and the change into naval battle is a welcomed one, not to mention clever ways to divulge more effects, however they can't replace the charm of mystical charisma from the predecessor.

Story revolves mainly on Themistocles (Sullivan Stapleton) and his ambivalence struggle against slightly insane Persian general, Artemisia (Eva Green). Stapleton is not exactly inadequate on the leader role. He showcases a decent performance as the weight of war slowly burdens him, but the brash hawkish lead from Gerard Butler is sorely missed. The movie utilizes almost the same merry band of warriors as 300, despite acknowledging the less superhuman original profession. They might be too similar, especially physique-wise, it feels like a shallow reenactment than legitimate replacement, and it's not about the blue cape instead of red.

Eva Green is absurdly filled with anguish, almost excessively. It's very passionately awkward, but admittedly effective nonetheless as she oozes strength at times. King Xerxes (Rodrigo Santoro) gets an exposition of his metamorphosis past, a "before" and "after" look as herbal steroid, magic spell and CG alter his appearance to that of a giant. This retains some of the magical vibe from previous title, although only a mere fragment of it.

He does not possess the same on-screen threat as he did, currently he's not even the same level as his madly obsessive lady general. Queen Gorgo (Lena Headey) serves as narrator, she partakes in only a handful of scenes as the focus shifts away from Sparta. Her voice has weight, although not as poignant as Dilios (David Wenham) in the first movie, who is now relegated into a flimsy support role.

The trademark fight scenes are splendid, stylishly choreographed with elegant brute force. Maritime warfare presents more effects added into bloody skirmish, be it may water or fire, they are visually delightful. It moves very aggressively, slowing at just the right critical moments. In a sense, it almost resembles a game; I wouldn't be surprise if it has health meter and death count display. This mix of battle macabre and CGI stand tall in the peak of action genre, audience will most likely find no disappointment in this regard.

Unfortunately, screenplays aren't constructed concisely enough; they don’t continue momentum from plot to action smoothly, making some occasions feel dry. It offers some degree of political and social aspect, but not carrying the depth needed to stimulate the audience. While the spectacle is undeniably impressive, 300: Rise of an Empire is just a glorified war movie.
  96. Mar 8, 2014
    it's not Historically accurate nor logically making sense kinda movie , but for those who like a good 3d , it can be enjoyable. overall good footage but a bad story
  97. Mar 8, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Dissapointment
    This new movie of 300 is a big dissaster, the screenplay is HUGE dissaster in many parts it has no sense. One thing it really surprise me, was the part Artemisia had brown eyes and later her eyes were completely blue. The direction in charge of Noam Murro is a regular performance. The effects of 300 and 300 Rise of an Empire have no difference between them. This film is only another movie
  98. Mar 8, 2014
    The new instalment of 300 is a excellent, exciting, fast paced, action with some of the best visual I have seen to date. The movie is generally pleasing and a fun time to watch with mates. A note worthy script and a well all round cast is everything fans craved for. 300: Rise of an Empire is a must watch sequel to the original classic.
  99. Mar 8, 2014
    One word: Badass. Much better than the first film, just forget about realism and you will be fine. The only thing i think i could question was the fact that the random sex scene was rather confusing to the actual story and portrayed a bad image of the main character.
  100. Mar 8, 2014
    There is a big lack of immersion, the story is not well connected with the real historical events, the sea battles are dark and short, not really a good film!
    The beginning is really nice but later is going down minute by minute!

1. Reviewed by: Drew McWeeny
    Apr 18, 2014
    300: Rise Of An Empire is a worthy sequel to "300," stylistically consistent and equally loony, featuring what may well be the first truly can't-miss performance in a film this year.
  2. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    Mar 10, 2014
    For all the energetic milling, Rise of an Empire proves superior to its predecessor by making war a game both sexes can play, on nearly equal terms. In comparison, the R-rated "300" seems as innocent as Adam in the Garden before the delicious complication of Eve — or Eva.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Mar 10, 2014
    It really is pretty dull, though, with the same moments of campy silliness: the same frowning gym bunnies with the same digitally enhanced abs.