7.1

1. Feb 24, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I like westerns, and I like modern westerns. I like the dust and sweat and the "hard" men, following in the footsteps of Eastwood's High Plains Drifter. This film is good to look at and has all the makings of a good movie, but the way the characters behave just become more and more unbelievable until in a climax of illogic for both the characters and the audience we are supposed to suddenly find Ben Wade a likeable chap, and he is expected to kill the remnants of his gang with a sparkle at his eye teeth.

How many times were the good guys to let Wade kill one of there number without doing anything about it? Every time. How often was Dan Evans going to turn his back on Wade without being killed? Innumerable times. And why oh why, in one of the final scenes when the baddies are all lined up in the street like ducks at a fair, and they kill the unarmed Sheriff and all his men, and Dan is a sharp shooter and has his rifle in an upstairs window, why does he just sit there and let it happen? No idea.

Lucky to get a three score really. That's for the grime and sweat :)

1. This is how a Western today tries to give us more bang for the buck. By working this hard to be a crowd-pleaser, though, it may please fewer crowds.
  2. A largely compelling ride on the strength of a powerful cast led by Russell Crowe and Christian Bale.
    In this movie, Fonda really is iconic. 3:10 to Yuma may be familiar, but, at its best, it has a rapt quality, even an aura of wonder.