47 Ronin

6.3

1. Jan 5, 2014
    I personally enjoyed this film I can see critics point of view in some aspects of the movie, yet I found that the stunning visuals and the intense plot rescued some of the dull and boring aspects, such as the acting. However, the only noticeable actress that I believe deserves some sort of recognition, is the Japanese lady who plays the witch with two different eye colours. I wouldn'tI personally enjoyed this film I can see critics point of view in some aspects of the movie, yet I found that the stunning visuals and the intense plot rescued some of the dull and boring aspects, such as the acting. However, the only noticeable actress that I believe deserves some sort of recognition, is the Japanese lady who plays the witch with two different eye colours. I wouldn't recommend the film to everyone, but overall, the film deserves 6 out of 10. Expand
  2. Dec 25, 2013
    47 Ronin is a serviceable action movie that fails to either capture the emotional essence of the titular tale or bring anything genuinely fresh, invigorating, or memorable to its rendition. Character, relationship, and coherent tone are all sacrificed in service of an attempt to capitalize on an idea that theoretically has an appeal across multiple markets. Mildly entertaining and47 Ronin is a serviceable action movie that fails to either capture the emotional essence of the titular tale or bring anything genuinely fresh, invigorating, or memorable to its rendition. Character, relationship, and coherent tone are all sacrificed in service of an attempt to capitalize on an idea that theoretically has an appeal across multiple markets. Mildly entertaining and gorgeous to look at, 47 Ronin has little beneath the surface to recommend it. There are a few good fights, though. Expand
  3. Dec 26, 2013
    Surprised to hear that this didn't even do well in Japan. It's OK, but not the star among holiday films: Pedestrian, effects-laden, fantastical retelling of a Japanese legend with fluent English by the mostly Japanese cast so no subtitles needed. One of those films that makes you wonder what happened to that Ted Logan we grew up on all charm and spewing catchphrases? What process ofSurprised to hear that this didn't even do well in Japan. It's OK, but not the star among holiday films: Pedestrian, effects-laden, fantastical retelling of a Japanese legend with fluent English by the mostly Japanese cast so no subtitles needed. One of those films that makes you wonder what happened to that Ted Logan we grew up on all charm and spewing catchphrases? What process of maturing turned Keanu Reeves into this stone-faced, emotionless guy? With few spoken lines and just the expressions on their faces, the rest of the cast could communicate tragedy, malevolence, or pride, but our half-breed is so lacking in personality that the actor who played his younger version could infuse his small part of the script with more feeling. Oh well, if you're like me you just came to be immersed in a small, if totally fictional piece of Japanese culture and not watch Mr. Reeves play another version of Neo. Expand
  4. Jan 10, 2014
    Exiled samurai are called Ronin and 47 of them seek revenge when their master is killed by Japan's supreme warlord. They need the leadership of a noble half-breed (Keanu Reeves) to overcome mythical beasts, a powerful witch and a bunch of soldiers. This well-worn plot spends the first hour with lots of intrigue and a confusing array of characters. When it comes time to fight, the action isExiled samurai are called Ronin and 47 of them seek revenge when their master is killed by Japan's supreme warlord. They need the leadership of a noble half-breed (Keanu Reeves) to overcome mythical beasts, a powerful witch and a bunch of soldiers. This well-worn plot spends the first hour with lots of intrigue and a confusing array of characters. When it comes time to fight, the action is uninspired and unfocused. The only thing to recommend the film is the art direction: lovely scenery, stunning costumes and some cool effects. The overall outcome just feels flat: never particularly involving or exciting. Expand
  5. Dec 30, 2013
    Ultimately I enjoyed this movie as just a movie but what really sets it back is having the fantasy elements thrown in. This true legend of the 47 Ronin doesn't need fireballs and a mystical hair demon lady, it made the experience more cartoonish than serious. Another dropping point is Keanu Reaves, a random white guy samurai who's acting capability compares to the plank of wood peopleUltimately I enjoyed this movie as just a movie but what really sets it back is having the fantasy elements thrown in. This true legend of the 47 Ronin doesn't need fireballs and a mystical hair demon lady, it made the experience more cartoonish than serious. Another dropping point is Keanu Reaves, a random white guy samurai who's acting capability compares to the plank of wood people call Kristen Stewart. Luckily for this film Hiroyuki Sanada makes up for everything, he is a fantastic actor. I really enjoyed that they used mostly Japanese actors but again, they're speaking in english. I do not mean to insult or sound like a jerk but their accents added to the hilariousness of the film. When the shogunate speaks it's just funny. This is very unfortunate because Japanese is such a bad ass sounding language filled with great emotion. Had they allowed the actors to speak Japanese it would have elevated the experience. But for whatever reason Keanu Reaves had to be there.
    Another issue I have, that isn't the biggest deal, but it was PG13. Which means people get cut by a katana and there's no blood. That doesn't swing with me, the sharpest blade in history will make you bleed. Much like my issue with Krueger in Elysium, the giant towering fear-invoking demon samurai never really did anything in this movie and his death was an absolute cop out.
    This movie had so much potential to tell and recreate a true epic story. But it falls flat by trying to rely on the mystical and made up. Just tell the story, not every movie needs a dragon.
  6. Dec 26, 2013
    The tale of 47 Ronin is an ancient one, embellished with honorable vengeance in an exotic setting. While such premise could draw people attention, but there also lies its weakness, it's severely predictable. Many have used simple already known concept and made it into fresh interesting watch, unfortunately for this movie spamming CG is not amongst the way to accomplish that. Hindered byThe tale of 47 Ronin is an ancient one, embellished with honorable vengeance in an exotic setting. While such premise could draw people attention, but there also lies its weakness, it's severely predictable. Many have used simple already known concept and made it into fresh interesting watch, unfortunately for this movie spamming CG is not amongst the way to accomplish that. Hindered by poor acting, questionable cast and uneven storytelling, 47 Ronin feels detached and uninspiring despite its gorgeous visual.

From graphical standpoint, it's actually quite impressive. Mythical creatures roam its vibrant realm, colors are brightly sleek and the dark contrast makes for a good view. It's certainly up to par on other fantasy movies, although it does detract from more historical portrayal of feudal Japan. There's a bit exaggeration in it as well, almost as if it's a westernized version of Japan. Some scenes, especially with the quick battles or bizarre giant characters, have the grayish murky tone of medieval fantasy like The Hobbits, and while the style direction is a bit excessive, seeing kimono in brimming flamboyant dye is rather peculiar, it's acceptably eye pleasing.

Problems emerge when it tries to implement the story, which could be inspirational but remarkably falls flat. Keanu Reeves plays Kai, a half breed from an Englishman and a Japanese woman, the film's original character meant to portray an elevating underdog story, yet Reeves displays only one set of facial expression. He looks almost completely the same throughout the movie, there's barely any allure on seeing such monotonous hero. At the very least, his stiff performance can be considered as consistency, ironically so.

The use of English is awkward as well, The Last Samurai did the multilingual tone and it worked, so it could have used Japanese for more authenticity. There's a nagging feeling that something is amiss, specifically when the movie enters supposedly dramatic moments. Setting that aside, the script isn't exactly great either, most of the time it goes overly melodramatic, as if it wants the archaic feel of Japanese classic but delivered in mediocre English.

Casting is dubious, everyone has the samurai look and with boorish script, everyone is equally trapped in their respective dull role; there's your serious samurai and next to him are the sad samurai and funny samurai. Granted, there's not enough time to highlight them all, but none of them stand out or have the chance to perform to the fullest. Rinko Kikuchi, who earned Oscar and Golden Globe nomination for Babel, plays the evil witch, although her presence merely resembles a bitter high school cheerleader. The characters are just terribly shallow, when the leading male barely does robotic mumbles and the Oscar nominee looks that uncomfortable, it does nothing to draw the audience's interest.

During the two hours of its length, the flow feels fragmented, mainly because it consists of drab scenes with little beautiful vista sprinkled in between. There is no epic scale engaging skirmish to behold, just some small CG fights, which is odd since the appeal should be a smaller group of warriors against mightier force. It does boast a spectacle, but no amount of cosmetic can justify the bland use of Japanese classic.
  7. Jan 10, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Plot: extremely generic and predictable. I mean, I could literally tell the ending from the start. You can TOTALLY tell he's gonna use his forbidden magic one last time to kill that witch, and it's so cliché it hurts my brain.

Graphics and photography: very good. The animations integrate perfectly with the overall style and you don't think it's fake for one second.
    But Avatar already has taken the spot of "amazing visuals-no plot" movie.

I was gonna give it a 5, but I gave it a 4 because the protagonist is like, the only Caucasian character in the whole movie. Regardless of plot, it was an obvious attempt to appeal to us westerners.
    BUT I gave it 5 stars in the end because of the ending. The mass harakiri thing was the only thing that saved the movie from being a dumb "warrior-loves-girl-and-fights-everything-till-he-gets-her-back" abomination-- instead it adds a bittersweet taste that makes you FEEL like the movie conveys a message. (There's none except for the, also cliché, "do the right thing even if it gets you killed" motto.)
  8. Jun 3, 2014
    Takes the historical true story and infuses it with elements of mystical beasts, magic, and witches. This and the ham-fisted and occasionally goofy dialog do make it hard to take the movie too seriously. I did enjoy the action scenes a lot and wish there were more of them. It's the moments between the action that lower my score for the movie. There's nothing particularly wrong with theTakes the historical true story and infuses it with elements of mystical beasts, magic, and witches. This and the ham-fisted and occasionally goofy dialog do make it hard to take the movie too seriously. I did enjoy the action scenes a lot and wish there were more of them. It's the moments between the action that lower my score for the movie. There's nothing particularly wrong with the slower scenes, it's just that nothing really entertaining happens in them. Still, these scenes are at least watchable.

I didn't really find anything terrible about the film at all. Yes I would have preferred more of the cool action scenes, but the moments in between didn't bore me even if they didn't necessarily entertain. It's a highly watchable film, but I recommend only a rental and only when other options have been exhausted. If you liked the trailers you should find something to like here, I just recommend you don't expect anything particularly great. My total score is a 6.1/10=Okay.
  9. Feb 9, 2014
    Movie is ok,nothing bad as critics suggests ,Not an oscar material or comes with a serious character development but enough unpredictable script and good fight scenes and 3d effects make it quite watchable.
  10. Apr 4, 2014
    I was really disappointed by this film! It had been talked up by many of my friends and it just did not deliver in anyway that I though it would. I number one thing that i really hated was that it seemed like Keanu Reeves character was swept aside from the get go in favor of the rest of the supporting cast! Along with that most of the decisive plot points were very cleache and the fewI was really disappointed by this film! It had been talked up by many of my friends and it just did not deliver in anyway that I though it would. I number one thing that i really hated was that it seemed like Keanu Reeves character was swept aside from the get go in favor of the rest of the supporting cast! Along with that most of the decisive plot points were very cleache and the few actions scenes the movie did have did not deliver on thrills or action really cause most of them end up being rather short... Overall 47 Ronin was a film that i really wanted to like but ended up being very disappointing! Expand
  11. Jan 9, 2014
    An Ok action movie with average (boring) characters and mediocre plot! Although it delivers great atmosphere of samurai Japan with well done costumes and decorations! But everything else is just on average quality
  12. Feb 7, 2014
    47 Ronin es una película media, una 50/50, de esas que te entretiene más que nada el final y el desarrollo en ocasiones es absurdo y aburrido, pero contiene una bizarra y original forma de representar la cultura japonesa. Si van a verla que sea bajo el consentimiento de que solo van a ver una película para divertirse un rato comiendo palomitas y hablando de lo que van a hacer cuando47 Ronin es una película media, una 50/50, de esas que te entretiene más que nada el final y el desarrollo en ocasiones es absurdo y aburrido, pero contiene una bizarra y original forma de representar la cultura japonesa. Si van a verla que sea bajo el consentimiento de que solo van a ver una película para divertirse un rato comiendo palomitas y hablando de lo que van a hacer cuando termine la película; nada especial, nada del otro mundo, solamente lo justo y necesario. Expand
  13. Nov 13, 2014
    "47 Ronin" 10 Scale Rating: 4.0 (Bad) ...

The Good: Visually, it's amazing. Vibrant colors when necessary, drab and dull tones to set the mood otherwise. The sets, backgrounds, and wardrobe were well done. It was great to look at (for the most part) with some decent fight scenes. Some of the cast put in brilliant performances, especially Hiroyuki Sanada. The Bad: Keanu Reeves is
    "47 Ronin" 10 Scale Rating: 4.0 (Bad) ...

The Bad: Keanu Reeves is difficult to ignore. Added for the film and not a character from the tale itself, he sticks out like a sore thumb. Some of the supporting cast hammed it up a bit too much and were difficult to watch. A few of the monsters looked like cartoons, which put a damper on what were otherwise well choreographed fight scenes. Lastly, the film is dull and not all that interesting ... which is a shame since it's based on a classic Japanese tale and had a lot of potential.
  14. May 31, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pretty dull - a film killed by very uneven pacing, poor acting and frustrating plotting. You wait 45 minutes for the movie to start then when all the action finally starts happening it's over really quickly. Keanu Reeves isn't convincing in the main role and his love interest isn't convincing either. You never really feel that there's any connection between them. The samurai are all pretty nameless. The witch is annoying and out of place. The film portrays feudal Japan very convincingly but you keep getting tolkien-esque monsters cropping up all the time that jar against everything else. The action, when it happens, is decent but it's either a famine or a feast. They all commit suicide at the end, which left me feeling very cheated with a feeling of what was all the point of it all. The most frustrating thing is that you could really feel that there was a great film in here that was sunk by all the lousy editing, poor acting and bad plot choices. Could have been on a level with the Lord of the Rings films but at the end of the day they simply got too much wrong. Expand
  15. May 24, 2014
    This movie was too hard to follow and didn't have a good plot. It was just a loose script based on an old Japanese legend wit a few good fight scenes just to keep the audience interested.
  16. Sep 2, 2014
    A nice idea with utterly breathtaking visuals, yet is totally boring. On paper, this seems like the best idea ever, yet somehow it manages to be incredibly dull.

The acting is OK, Reeves is more or less his usual wooden self. Hiroyuki Sanada is perhaps this movie's only redeeming feature in terms of acting. His performance was phenomenal as usual. The rest of the cast do OK, but aren't really explored enough to really care about them.

The visuals are gorgeous, like a feat of ambrosia for my eyes.

Overall:
    Regardless of how beautiful the movie looks, it's still boring and really not worth buying, renting maybe.
  17. Feb 13, 2014
    Keanu Reeves may not be the best actor working today. His monotone delivery is one that is easily recognized and yet constantly scrutinized by critics and audiences alike. Ironically enough, Reeves has been one of the most bankable stars working in the last two decades, always recouping a film’s budget if not surpassing it altogether and drawing in huge profits. Unfortunately, Reeves hasKeanu Reeves may not be the best actor working today. His monotone delivery is one that is easily recognized and yet constantly scrutinized by critics and audiences alike. Ironically enough, Reeves has been one of the most bankable stars working in the last two decades, always recouping a film’s budget if not surpassing it altogether and drawing in huge profits. Unfortunately, Reeves has had a taste of his first blockbuster bomb, and after almost 20 years as a recognized Hollywood star, it’s admirable to know that it took this long for him to have a bomb of a film. What’s more admirable in the Reeves canon, however, is how dedicated he is to honouring Asian culture and his constant efforts to preserve the integrity and authenticity of folklore throughout its transition to the big screen. For that, Reeves is an actor who may not be in-line for an Oscar but one who I am proud to call a fine Canadian and preserver of ancient Japanese and Chinese culture.

Born in Lebanon from a native English mother and Hawaiian father with Chinese, Portuguese, and Irish ancestry, Reeves encapsulates the cultural mosaic that is Canada. Raised as a Canadian, and identifying as such, Reeves is front and centre in 47 Ronin–an American take on Japanese folklore, featuring a Canadian film star, American director and a predominantly Japanese cast. Now talk about a blend of cultures for the sake of art.

47 Ronin is not a terrible film by any means. Instead, the film surfaces as a very loyal, overly-spectacular and highly embellished account of Japanese culture and history. With the addition of witchcraft, demons, monsters, half-breeds and stylistic alter-world entities, the film at times feels like a dated piece of cinema which loses much of its extravagant special effects credit due to its elongated production time and the context in which it is presented. 47 Ronin succeeds in its focus on the Japanese tale, highlighting the essential themes of honour, dignity, loyalty, and duty, as opposed to the more obvious spectacles of mystical creatures inhabiting a special-effects laden world.

The story begins with Kai (Reeves), an outcast boy who is the offspring of a British sailor and peasant Japanese woman. When a young Oishi (Hiroyuki Sanada) finds Kai in a nearby forest, he believes that the boy is possessed and was raised by demons. Saved by master Lord Asano (Min Tanaka) and adopted into the town, Kai lives a life where he is barely visible to anyone–except Princess Mika (Kô Shibaski) who he is secretly falling in love with. After many years of becoming the designated “half-breed” of the village, Kai integrates into the town and just survives. It is not until Shogun Tsunayoshi (Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa) arrives to the town for a traditional ceremony when neighbouring town leader and power-hungry Lord Kira (Tabanobu Asano) and his witch-crafting mistress (Rinko Kikuchi) sabotage Lord Asano, leading him to his death. Outcastes like Kai, the remaining soldiers under Lord Asano’s reign become Ronin (a samurai with no Lord or Master). Oishi, the leader of Lord Asano’s army, is imprisoned for a year. Upon his release, Oishi begins a plan to avenge Lord Asano’s death with the help of Kai and the remaining Ronin against Lord Kira.

In 1997, Reeves met virtually unknown yet soon-to-be star choreographer Tiger Hu Chen while making The Matrix. As time passed, the two became good friends and Chen taught Reeves much of the old and almost lost techniques of the Japanese and Chinese cultures. Through Chen, Reeves was able to gain a new appreciation for a culture that ran through his blood, but seemed almost forgotten. In the five years it took to make 47 Ronin, Reeves was able to still act in other films and make his feature film directorial debut with The Man of Tai Chi, starring his friend Chen. Reeves, who has Chinese blood in his ancestry, seems almost destined for roles like Kai. With that said, it is so unfortunate that a tale with such fibre and poignancy, was done so poorly and half-heartedly.

47 Ronin is a stylized and fantastical reimagining of the classic tale with giants and witches–but not much heart. Taking cues from The Lord of the Rings trilogy as well as action sequences from Troy, Ronin is an exhausted, lacklustre fantasy adventure with a sword’s edge that isn’t quite as sharp as we’d like. The most moving scenes in the film involve those around the ritual suicide (seppuku) of its one-dimensional characters and the betrayal by lust each character faces within the film.

Unfortunately for the film, it seems that it will be remembered more so for its box-office failure than for the story itself. Opening a week prior in Japan to dismal reviews and a poor box-office response, it seems impossible that the film has any real chance of making back its ridiculous $175 million budget domestically or internationally.
  18. Dec 29, 2013
    While there are some good visuals and 3-D, what it lacks is originality. There's nothing new about this movie, while it's not terrible, it's not worth remembering. Overall, ehh! I give it a C-! Be sure to check out my YouTube channel "TheMovieManLife" for all things movies!
  19. Feb 12, 2014
    This movie is okay, its not the best, the acting can be awkward and the plotline can be predictable. I also don't like that the main character is White, but still this movie is okay and it don't deserve a 27/100. It should deserve a 60/100.
  20. Jan 22, 2014
    They made great efforts to turn a 47 japanese ronin revenge story to a 1 non-japanese ronin romantic story. Well done! We don't really need the monsters and many scenes are pointless.
  21. Aug 29, 2014
    Just OK. Worth the $1.26 rental at Redbox but for an action/adventure flick it's pretty low intensity. Kind of like Keanu Reeve's acting. The story is pretty derivative and never rises above mediocre.
  22. Apr 30, 2014
    This film reminded me a lot Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - spectacular scenes, awesome fighting and the forbidden love scenario. Although based on a true story, I imagine the dragons and witches that appear in a cloud of smoke are not in the true story! I have marked the film down only because I was left at the end feeling a little empty but the film itself is stunning and exciting. IThis film reminded me a lot Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - spectacular scenes, awesome fighting and the forbidden love scenario. Although based on a true story, I imagine the dragons and witches that appear in a cloud of smoke are not in the true story! I have marked the film down only because I was left at the end feeling a little empty but the film itself is stunning and exciting. I won't be watching it again though. Expand
  23. Apr 5, 2014
    With Keanu Reeves being his usual expressionless self, all I can say for this movie is that it has a cool concept. Otherwise, the audio sounds dubbed even though the actors aren't speaking in Japanese, none of the characters have depth of any sort, and the ending feels like a rip off from Crouching Tiger.

On the plus side, at least there were a lot of shiny swords and some amazingly

On the plus side, at least there were a lot of shiny swords and some amazingly beautiful shots. But a few great scenes don't save a lousy film.
  24. Dec 30, 2013
    The movie lacks something, but nevertheless i enjoyed the two hours.

The characters in this film are so thin causing that you really don't feel anything for them and therefore the whole vengeance theme is not really working for me as well as the whole love interest plot. The start of the movie is OK although the voice over beginning is boring, the end is also pretty impressive with
    The movie lacks something, but nevertheless i enjoyed the two hours.

The start of the movie is OK although the voice over beginning is boring, the end is also pretty impressive with some very good CGI.

The second act of this movie is the problem, a lot of things feel very rushed in the second act. And this is the part where you should start to feel attached to the characters and want them to succeed in their quest for their revenge.

I don't really say this very often as in most cases less is more this movie could have used and extra 15 to 30 minutes.

And why did they made this movie in 3D, I'm no fan of the whole 3D movies as they tend to try to make up a weak plot and characters with an extra dimension and this doesn't work. And it feels like this again in this film because it really didn't add anything in the movie experience.

But non the less it was enjoyable to watch which just pushed this movie into a 6.
  25. Jan 2, 2014
    What the hell is wrong with crtics this movie was not as bad as they say, could it have been done better, yes but it is not the worst thing this year. Justin Beiber took that.
  26. Jan 2, 2014
    I enjoyed the movie. It had good visuals and good casting, but the pg rating and the bad Japanese accents pretty much ruined it for me. This is a samurai movie with tons of sword fighting but not a drop of blood. This movie might appeal more to a young teen, i don't hate this movie but think it could have been so much better.
  27. Jan 17, 2014
    A good attempt to tell a classical Japanese story, but as much as I wanted Keanu Reeves and this movie to do well. It fell well short of its mark.

Too much smashed into 1 story, the set up for the premise of the whole narrative ate too much time at the start of the movie for you to really develop any real connection to the characters. You never really are FOR the good guys and don't really hate the bad guys too much, because you just don't know about them too well. The only character that mattered was the over-weight funny guy. He seemed to the only one who had any depth compared to all the other one dimensional "angry Samurai" in the movie.

The fantasy and the fighting sequence were OK, but for a movie that was based in a semi-fantasy world. There was hardly enough to make it a spectacle (even if it took away from the plot-line) and by today's action sequence standards, the fights were a little to plain. From movies like the original Bourne series to the Jackie Chan movies where realism and action scenes meet, this wasn't risky. It had an element of fantasy which they could have played off for action scenes and even worked into the plot line.
    However the movie really doesn't really exploit this, which I think cost it dearly in terms of engaging an audience.

All in all, its a decent pop corn movie. I watched in 2D but from what I could tell it might have made a decent 3D movie it terms of value.
    But for a story line and as whole, not a movie I would recommend to many.

But keep at it Keanu, your a fantastic actor and would pay in heartbeat to watch the next movie you put out. (No sarcasm here)
  28. Feb 1, 2014
    why so many bad films are in theater? Have anyone a taste of good film??? I hope some time answer will be known.
    Genres:
    Action - have saw some fights , Adventure - they travel little bit Drama - white guy love Japanese; Fantasy - a lot of it! some dragons, witches and other strange staff maybe in separate parts it would be good, but together that make one of the most boring film
    Genres:
    Action - have saw some fights , Adventure - they travel little bit
    Drama - white guy love Japanese;
    Fantasy - a lot of it! some dragons, witches and other strange staff
    maybe in separate parts it would be good, but together that make one of the most boring film which was produces last month.
    That is film which will waist your time anytime you would like to see it. With company of friends or girlfriend(s), anyway - waist your time
  29. Jun 30, 2014
    The trailers made this film look like something it was not. Totally misleading and that is why I did not see it. I rented it from Redbox and I did not like it. It is a decent film for some elements concerning the history and tradition of the story, but largely a mess of a film and Mr Reeves should retire and I like the man. Bad marketing killed this movie, but the movie was still bad
  30. Dec 6, 2014
    Before Keanu Reeves starred in this years amazing 'John Wick' he was in last years lackluster bomb '47 Ronin'. The movie is boring just plain boring, the acting and story are definitely not any better. The CGI is almost like watching a syfy channel movie but only slightly SLIGHTLY better, the acting from Keanu is extremely wooden even for him and the Japanese cast is given nothing to doBefore Keanu Reeves starred in this years amazing 'John Wick' he was in last years lackluster bomb '47 Ronin'. The movie is boring just plain boring, the acting and story are definitely not any better. The CGI is almost like watching a syfy channel movie but only slightly SLIGHTLY better, the acting from Keanu is extremely wooden even for him and the Japanese cast is given nothing to do with the script they are given. The script, first penned by the writer of the last 3 films in the 'Fast and Furious' Chris Morgan and co-wriiten with the executive producer for 'The Conjuring' Walter Hamada then re-written by 'Drive' writer Hossein Amini. You would think after all those revisions it would be at least an enjoyable messy adventure fantasy retelling of the legendary story of the real 47 Ronin, But your wrong. It's a terribly paced, no thrills, bore fest that is about 2 hours too long. I DO NOT recommend seeing this unless your extremely high or drunk. Expand
  31. Aug 29, 2014
    I am a sucker for a good action flick and that's what originally caught my eye with 47 Ronin. It had sword fighting, evil monsters, Keanu Reeves, and attractive women, what else do I need to know to at least give it a try? I think in a few ways it falls short of a big epic mainstream movie as far as graphics and overall grandeur but I enjoyed it nonetheless. Its often difficult toI am a sucker for a good action flick and that's what originally caught my eye with 47 Ronin. It had sword fighting, evil monsters, Keanu Reeves, and attractive women, what else do I need to know to at least give it a try? I think in a few ways it falls short of a big epic mainstream movie as far as graphics and overall grandeur but I enjoyed it nonetheless. Its often difficult to assimilate Japanese cinema into American cinema. The general ideals and cultures tend to clash a bit and that will effect what is shown on film and how its presented but they found a comfy medium. There was enough conflict and flash to entertain a diverse audience. Its no Last Samurai but it has its strengths and it makes you want to root for the underdog. But the ending is just beyond me, I mean that's where Japanese culture takes over. I just don't understand why that was necessary. But, overall it was a good movie with noble morals. Expand
  32. Jun 10, 2015
    Whilst the story of 47 Ronin demonstrates potential throughout, the film fails to deliver on the most part. Whilst the film encourages the viewer with an exciting start and a potentially thrilling narrative arc, it loses itself in pursuing insignificant plot points and an overwhelming unnecessary presence of fantastical themes. The story of the 47 Ronin is undoubtedly interesting and couldWhilst the story of 47 Ronin demonstrates potential throughout, the film fails to deliver on the most part. Whilst the film encourages the viewer with an exciting start and a potentially thrilling narrative arc, it loses itself in pursuing insignificant plot points and an overwhelming unnecessary presence of fantastical themes. The story of the 47 Ronin is undoubtedly interesting and could perhaps do with a reboot in time, only with less nonsensical magic and more realism. Expand

This one never quite decides if it wants to be a big, boisterous epic or a solemn retelling, and it nearly disappears into the crack between the two.
  2. Reviewed by: Mike McCahill
    Dec 28, 2013
    Hollywood's latest play for the growing Asian market revisits the ancient Japanese legend of self-sacrifice, hoping to offset its garbled narrative and grinding humourlessness with 3D and Keanu Reeves as a samurai Jesus.
  3. Reviewed by: David Hiltbrand
    Dec 28, 2013
    An odd mix of stiff and sumptuous.