8.0

1. GK
    Aug 6, 2009
    Quick and funny Smart and real. Nicely made with great cast and music. A wonderful movie.
  2. JulienT
    Oct 22, 2009
    If you don't feel in love and hopeful again after seeing this movie, then you have a heart of stone.
  3. PeteB
    Jan 26, 2010
    Brilliant film - cringeworthy in parts (for a man who had his heartbroken in similar fashion), ecstatic in parts (for a man who too has tried to impress women by drunkenly singing indie classics) and with a fantastic soundtrack throughout. The 2 leads are captivating & enigmatic throughout.
  4. RobergS
    Feb 2, 2010
    Ultimately this movie was painful. Both leads are exceptional actors and because of this I really felt the pain with Tom as he navigated through this doomed stretch of time known as 500 Days of Summer. I'm glad he was willing to give the idea of destiny a second chance, but for many people his experience would just be too painful to let go quickly. Summer was a dream. So much that Ultimately this movie was painful. Both leads are exceptional actors and because of this I really felt the pain with Tom as he navigated through this doomed stretch of time known as 500 Days of Summer. I'm glad he was willing to give the idea of destiny a second chance, but for many people his experience would just be too painful to let go quickly. Summer was a dream. So much that Tom was lead blindly and he paid the price. She really was a dream. Expand
  5. BillyS.
    Aug 1, 2009
    I Loved this movie! It's smart, funny, touching and bittersweet in ways I haven't seen in a movie since Annie Hall, and what Diane Keaton was to that classic, Joseph Gordon-Levitt is to 500 Days. An astonishing performance that carries the film to another level. This is the kind of movie the Academy expanded it's Best Picture category for - a small independent miracle!
  6. jeffh
    Aug 1, 2009
    What a wonderful movie.It is real,funny and emotional-everyting a romantic comedy should be.Both leads are very talented and the non-sequential storytelling leaves you guessing.
  7. RebeccaW
    Aug 9, 2009
    It was real. That is all.
  8. Jun 6, 2012
    D'emblée, on pourrait s'attendre, comme tout film romantique américain, à une guimauve hollywoodienne. Et la couleur se montre bien différente dès la note du réalisateur (affichée avant le début du film). Dès lors, on sait que l'on assiste à uneD'emblée, on pourrait s'attendre, comme tout film romantique américain, à une guimauve hollywoodienne. Et la couleur se montre bien différente dès la note du réalisateur (affichée avant le début du film). Dès lors, on sait que l'on assiste à une comédie romantique fantaisiste. Oui, c'est bien le mot qui convient ! On n'échappe pas aux inévitables moments tristes, mais (500) jours ensemble esquive tous les clichés du genre, grâce à sa construction en "puzzle" (on passe de la journée 350 à la 1 puis on revient à la 180 puis à la 3...) étonnamment cohérente (servant à des comparaisons sur la situation du couple) et qui donne un côté comique bienvenu, son scénario (rien ne se passe comme on pourrait le deviner dans un autre film du genre). Et que dire des acteurs, en tout cas le couple vedette (Joseph Gordon-Levitt- Zooey Deschanel), à part qu'ils sont naturels, décontractés et talentueux? Non, franchement, (500) jours ensemble est une bien belle petite surprise qui se regarde avec délice. Expand
  9. Sep 30, 2011
    Wonderful. Real. Funny, Creative. New. Terrific performances. Unique. This film was one of the most pleasant surprises I've seen in years. The leads are wonderful and the direction is well-paced. Here's hoping for more big-screen work from all involved.
  10. Jan 15, 2012
    500 Days of Summer is an original, hilarious, sweet, charming romantic comedy that isn't cliche at all and benefits from the fantastic and charming performances from Zooey Deschanel and Joseph Gorden- Levit. I give this film 98%.
  11. NilesH
    Jan 22, 2010
    Loved everything about this film.
  12. ShaunQ
    Jan 30, 2010
    It's a travesty that this movie has a lower score on metacritic than District 9. You won't be disappointed by seeing it.
  13. SamY.
    Apr 5, 2010
    Finally a romantic comedy that isn't corny and can relate to everyone. Plus a brilliant screenplay and brilliant acting. I gave it a 9 because it felt too "hipster" to relate to audiences, I mean Zooey Deschanel as Summer Fin? That's a little typecasting...
  14. JillS.
    Apr 18, 2010
    Awesome movie,my favourite of all time.Better than Avatar!(In my opinion).
  15. CanaanB
    Jan 14, 2010
    I cannot speak highly enough about this film. Joseph Gordon-Levitt plays a brilliant lead, and the way in which this 'love' story plays out is quite refreshing. It's also genuinely funny at times. The rom-com for those that would typically stay miles away.
  16. Feb 23, 2012
    500 Days of Summer is misnamed as a romantic comedy, because is neither romantic or comedy, although is treats the development of love in a couple, contrasting and comparing the woman with the man; it is so depressing, that at times is no longer enjoyable. As to the comedy; this picture is more about drama, which means that the goal is to make the viewer identify with the situation.
    As
    As this is not a happy ending story, the movie tries to show how foolish we become when being blindly in love; in other words this film makes a satire of love. According to the picture a person in this situation will forgive everything, will remember all the happy moments but not the sad ones and wont listen any warning.
    The ending is remarkable because both lovers end up believing what the other thought about life in the beginning of the relationship; Tom stopped believing in destiny, happy endings and fairy tale stories; and Summer stopped believing in coincidences, a existence without love and with no possibility of dreaming.
    500 Days of Summer has an interesting plot, script and performances, but I think that the one of Zooey Deschanel is more suitable for the movie than the one of Joseph Gordon Levitt. Up next is autumn.
  17. JohnL.
    Sep 8, 2009
    The movie was dead on.
  18. ConnorB.
    Oct 13, 2009
    The best romantic comedy I've seen in years and an excellent directorial debut from Marc Webb. Deschanel is one of my favourite actresses and she really shines in this heart-warming film. The soundtrack was also stunning, and some of the more innovatively filmed scenes really impressed me. Ten out of ten.
  19. JanS
    Nov 7, 2009
    Best film I've seen in years. The film is crushing and hopeful at the same time.
  20. DanaM
    Sep 20, 2009
    Worth the $10 I paid to see the movie. Wife enjoyed it. I enjoyed it. Go see it and don't listen to the Bozos who give a movie a *0*. These folks have no credility. A zero? No movie deserves a Zero.
  21. JohnK.
    Nov 26, 2009
    This is one of the best romantic comedies that I have seen in a while. What is wrong with you people? The lesson of the film is obvious--for anyone who has fallen in love-- is that not all relationships work out. Unless you are one of the lucky few that has not experienced this, then this film is not for you; however, if you stick with it, you will eventually find your true love. Great This is one of the best romantic comedies that I have seen in a while. What is wrong with you people? The lesson of the film is obvious--for anyone who has fallen in love-- is that not all relationships work out. Unless you are one of the lucky few that has not experienced this, then this film is not for you; however, if you stick with it, you will eventually find your true love. Great script, cast, and soundtrack, so give it a chance! Expand
  22. Aug 12, 2010
    Fun movie that doesn't end the way every romantic comedy ends, which makes it all the more enjoyable. I really enjoy Joseph Gordon-Levitt in this, he does quite a good job.
  23. Apr 21, 2012
    I loved this movie. I think everyone could relate to the story. I loved the spontaneity of the characters. I liked the part when Summer was sitting on the bench. I liked the conversations between Summer and Tom. I liked most of the lines. I just want to say that the writers of this movie were amazing.
  24. Dec 25, 2012
    If you are building the relationship you hope will last forever watch this movie at least twice. Girls? Don
  25. AlexO.
    Sep 22, 2009
    (500) Days of Summer is pretty much what you'd get if K-TEL International made romantic comedies for hipsters. The film has a few nice visuals, but script and characters are contrived, generic and affected. The film has absolutely no spark. While watching, I was reminded of those annoying groups of people that one sometimes finds in restaurants or record stores, the ones who talk (500) Days of Summer is pretty much what you'd get if K-TEL International made romantic comedies for hipsters. The film has a few nice visuals, but script and characters are contrived, generic and affected. The film has absolutely no spark. While watching, I was reminded of those annoying groups of people that one sometimes finds in restaurants or record stores, the ones who talk extra loud so that everyone in the place can be entertained by their clever banter and sarcastic wit. Instead, they only come off as irritatingly arrogant asses. (500) Days of Summer's emphatic attempts at cleverness have exactly the same effect. Expand
  26. AdamC.
    Aug 3, 2009
    I like Joseph Gordon-Levitt, but I cannot recommend this film simply because the female lead is completely unlikeable. Zooey Deschanel plays an absorbed woman who toys with a guy's emotions as if she is a maestro conducting a symphony. The ending of the movie does not resolve the bitter taste that her character leaves behind. Honestly, I wanted a bus to run her over, gently, of course.
  27. CindyC
    Nov 4, 2009
    Over-rated. Shallow game-playing female meets insecure depressed male and victimization occurs. The leads are supposedly charming but quickly become tedious. My own love life is depressing enough without wasting 2 hours watching this film.
  28. NateJ.
    Aug 8, 2009
    This movie has some poignant moments that kept me interested, but overall the script and execution is disappointing. The only way it could be considered "original" is if you are comparing it to saccharine, assembly line rom-coms. Almost everything in this movie you've already seen. The quirkiness is forced, the soundtrack is overactive, and the ending predictable. The acting This movie has some poignant moments that kept me interested, but overall the script and execution is disappointing. The only way it could be considered "original" is if you are comparing it to saccharine, assembly line rom-coms. Almost everything in this movie you've already seen. The quirkiness is forced, the soundtrack is overactive, and the ending predictable. The acting isn't bad, but Zooey is stuck playing a rather unlikeable and two-dimensional character. Overall, not worth seeing in the theater. Expand
  29. chrisg
    Jan 24, 2010
    Zoe D is beginning to be typecast as the mercurial girl-next-door who kept every teen guy at arms length, for no apparent reason. Very beguiling. Levitt is getting better with every film. Best Picture? Not even close. The story jumps around with very annoying graphics. Want a similarly themed but great date film that? See "Definitely Maybe."
  30. Apr 27, 2011
    the most depressing movie i have seen in a long time. if you want to see a guy be depressed for 90 minutes and have his heart torn out of his ass, this is the movie for you.
  31. GeorgeUgh
    Jan 7, 2010
    Fans of this movie: you know that subtle nagging feeling that tells you that everything about this movie is just plain wrong - follow it and save yourselves.
  32. UlrichD.
    Sep 6, 2009
    This film is ghastly. At best, it is derivative, lifeless and nauseatingly commercial. I have seen mobile phone adverts which are better, and which aspire to exactly the same aesthetic. Dialogue was pumped with references to pop culture in the same way that sub-standard meat is pumped with water. From start to finish, the film is aimless and contrived. Watching
  33. MattN
    Jan 19, 2010
    Hated it. Did the lead guy have to be such a pussy?Seemed very cliched in places and what was with the Royal Tennbaums rip-off voice over?
  34. MikeB
    Jan 7, 2010
    Wow. I expected so much more. Raise your standards critics. You made me spend $6 on a film that was mediocre at best. It tries to hard to be "indie" and comes up corny. If I want drab scenes in Ikea, I'll go there myself and shop for a futon.
  35. AlexP
    Feb 21, 2010
    I wouldn't suggest seeing this movie with a girl you aren't confident about, because ultimately the movie is about where fate falls (that's practically a pun! sly winks abound) won't be/feel the same for all people. Also, the NPR review is complete bullshit. What is it actually deriding? I think it's basically somehow saying its not genuine, somehow more like a I wouldn't suggest seeing this movie with a girl you aren't confident about, because ultimately the movie is about where fate falls (that's practically a pun! sly winks abound) won't be/feel the same for all people. Also, the NPR review is complete bullshit. What is it actually deriding? I think it's basically somehow saying its not genuine, somehow more like a Jennifer Anisten flick, but this movie was entirely more effective and brilliantly shining. Expand
  36. James
    Oct 10, 2009
    Hipster garbage, unrealistic, flat pointless, lifeless plot. Much worse than Annie Hall and other failed "romantic comedies". I wish I spent my money on something else. If you have seen District 9 I recommend seeing that instead of this trite sh*te.
  37. DanS
    Aug 10, 2009
    That was a manufactured piece of garbage from the blatant IKEA product placement to the cookie cutter characters!
  38. commentscomments
    Aug 1, 2009
    This was the worst piece of derivative, hollow, pandering, charlie kaufman-aping, focus tested, faux quirk, garbage i've seen in my whole life. this is a movie especially made for people who don't particularly care for movies, and are just looking to have their little round things tickled every now and again, and in that way the studio estimated its audience perfectly, but to This was the worst piece of derivative, hollow, pandering, charlie kaufman-aping, focus tested, faux quirk, garbage i've seen in my whole life. this is a movie especially made for people who don't particularly care for movies, and are just looking to have their little round things tickled every now and again, and in that way the studio estimated its audience perfectly, but to call it anything else is to be completely deluded. Expand
  39. JeffA
    Aug 8, 2009
    I guess it was pretty good as far as romantic comedies go, which isn't saying a whole lot. Like most self-absorbed female characters in these movies, Zooey Deschanel is generally unlikable. Along with too many coincidental plot fillers, I had problems with too much forced hipsterism: "I love The Smiths." Joseph Gordon-Levitt was a decent hapless emo sweatervest-donning I guess it was pretty good as far as romantic comedies go, which isn't saying a whole lot. Like most self-absorbed female characters in these movies, Zooey Deschanel is generally unlikable. Along with too many coincidental plot fillers, I had problems with too much forced hipsterism: "I love The Smiths." Joseph Gordon-Levitt was a decent hapless emo sweatervest-donning twenty-something. He was about as close to real as this movie gets to romance -- the pathetic, angst ridden worship that plagues obsessive hipsters. I still don't buy the pro's claims that this is a realistic premise, which is completely destroyed by its ultimate hokeyness. Expand
  40. ramsayp
    Aug 9, 2009
    Is two a bit harsh? Perhaps, but I am grading the movie in light of the films that it aspires to be like. Actually, aspires is the wrong word. "Marketed" would be more appropriate. The film really has no aspirations other than to portray itself as a hip indie romantic comedy that will rope in those susceptible to fawning over anything that references The Smiths, "The Graduate," etc., has Is two a bit harsh? Perhaps, but I am grading the movie in light of the films that it aspires to be like. Actually, aspires is the wrong word. "Marketed" would be more appropriate. The film really has no aspirations other than to portray itself as a hip indie romantic comedy that will rope in those susceptible to fawning over anything that references The Smiths, "The Graduate," etc., has a cool indie rock score, has a jaded central character, and contains the insipid indie darling, Zooey Deschanel. There is absolutely nothing new here, and the material that is recycled (I don't think there is anything wrong with retreading tride and true formulas) is done so badly. The venture doesn't even come close to a movie like, "He's just not that into you," which is no classic. But this is no surprise, since the demographic "500" aims for want to indulge in the idea of "indie" while remaining entirely "de-pendant" on the opinions of their peers. People in their twenties and thirties have other concerns, and want to be entertained... at least somewhat. Expand
  41. JohnnyG.
    Mar 23, 2010
    A bit overrated to be honest.Too gimmicky and the characters aren't particularly interesting.
  42. WilliamL
    Nov 3, 2009
    Terrible movie. Pretty much an IKEA ad.
  43. BellenS.
    Aug 2, 2009
    Pretty typical example from the Annie Hall school of romantic comedies that exhibits the same superficial quirkiness Juno had... a few Smiths songs here, some squiggly pencil drawings there... I guess it's pretty charming, if you're into that. Oh, and they TOTALLY stole a gag from the Steve Martin movie The Lonely Guy, a far superior rom-com. Heartbroken guy who works at a Pretty typical example from the Annie Hall school of romantic comedies that exhibits the same superficial quirkiness Juno had... a few Smiths songs here, some squiggly pencil drawings there... I guess it's pretty charming, if you're into that. Oh, and they TOTALLY stole a gag from the Steve Martin movie The Lonely Guy, a far superior rom-com. Heartbroken guy who works at a greeting card company starts writing bitter cards? Steve should sue their quirky pants off! Expand
  44. AngelaR
    Aug 24, 2009
    Boring. Great visual idea, horrible dialogue and flat characters. Like one very, very long montage scene. Like they attempted to redo Annie Hall, but failed miserably.
  45. JeanC.
    Aug 3, 2009
    It was long and pointless, boring as hell.
  46. SteveW
    Sep 16, 2009
    Sucked! In my life I have only walked out of a movie 2 times. This one and Beverly Hills Chihuahua (don't ask why I was tricked into seeing that one). At least the Chihuahua could act. Avoid at all costs!
  47. GaryS.
    Nov 28, 2009
    I can't believe how many people like this movie. It makes me sad for America. Here's my review: some people who work in advertising watched Annie Hall and then wrote a movie in 2 hours. If this is a "true & honest & refreshing" take on romance, we have already been taken over by robots and just don't know it yet.
  48. RandalS
    Dec 25, 2009
    Whole movie seemed forced and gimmicky. Does not live up to any of the movie it references.
  49. Jan 29, 2011
    one of the best in 2009, its ending was totally unexpected. Its cleaver dialog and script makes 500 days of summer one of the best romantic comedy's of all year and maybe of all time. Both leads play there part perfectly as i believed them 100% of the movie. Just the way they told the story was something i have never seen in movies before, i though it would get confusing skipping fromone of the best in 2009, its ending was totally unexpected. Its cleaver dialog and script makes 500 days of summer one of the best romantic comedy's of all year and maybe of all time. Both leads play there part perfectly as i believed them 100% of the movie. Just the way they told the story was something i have never seen in movies before, i though it would get confusing skipping from day 352 to 2 but it didn't as the director made it work perfectly it added a really good twist to the movie. Expand
  50. Feb 14, 2011
    One of the movie's goals appears to have been to examine how love/a relationship works. Unfortunately, the script writer appears to have not spend enough time researching social philosophy on that topic (f.i. writings of Erich Fromm). Thereafter, the movie misses to make a clear distinction between infatuation and real love/earnest friendship. Furthermore, it completely leaves out theOne of the movie's goals appears to have been to examine how love/a relationship works. Unfortunately, the script writer appears to have not spend enough time researching social philosophy on that topic (f.i. writings of Erich Fromm). Thereafter, the movie misses to make a clear distinction between infatuation and real love/earnest friendship. Furthermore, it completely leaves out the possibility that two people really just might have to work together and have some tolerance for each others flaws. Rather "(500) Days of Summer" suggests that love is something totally random and that a relationship either works perfectly or simply not. Because of this, the "(500) Days of Summer" contributes to keeping alive the fairy tale idea that there is one - and only one - perfect lover in the world for each single person. Nevertheless, the movie does a good job on one of its other goals, which is to encourage the viewer to not follow the trend of striving for quick money, but to follow one's real passion by bringing it to the center of one's life. Lastly, "(500) Days of Summer" is good filmmaking, tastefully combining romance, drama, and short scenes amplifying emotions of the protagonists like a funny musical interlude or beautiful 2-D animation. Expand
  51. Feb 21, 2011
    Funny real life scenario, I could see this happening all over the world. It bounces around in days of the relationship and you find yourself laughing but yet its also serious and moving, very good flick to watch with the lady, or maybe not, ;)
  52. Jul 26, 2011
    This film is unique and well-acted. Gordon-Levitt gives a very good performance here Deschanel is good but there's nothing new when compared to her past roles. Initially, it is difficult to get familiarized with the back and forth nature of storytelling, but eventually it settles in. However, in the end, this is just another tedious, dramatic, quirky, love story genre-film that has beenThis film is unique and well-acted. Gordon-Levitt gives a very good performance here Deschanel is good but there's nothing new when compared to her past roles. Initially, it is difficult to get familiarized with the back and forth nature of storytelling, but eventually it settles in. However, in the end, this is just another tedious, dramatic, quirky, love story genre-film that has been unfairly watered down by all of it's cheesy predecessors. Expand
  53. Jan 6, 2012
    I don't know what to think about this movie. The ending was **** sincerely. I don't know if I should laugh or mourn with this movie. Strange, is'n it?
  54. CRL
    Aug 8, 2011
    (500) Days of Summer is exactly what it's billed: an entertaining and sometimes very funny indie comedy. If you have 95 minutes to spend and aren't sure how, this movie would be a great choice.
  55. Jun 7, 2012
    (500) DAYS was quite an entertaining film, on the other hand. The performance of Zooey Deschanel provides enough chutzpah and energy to hold up an entire film on its own. Tom, as well, is an interesting character to watch. His performance gets a rise out of an audience with the most minute effort. In one scene, there is an off camera person interviewing Tom and his three friends about what(500) DAYS was quite an entertaining film, on the other hand. The performance of Zooey Deschanel provides enough chutzpah and energy to hold up an entire film on its own. Tom, as well, is an interesting character to watch. His performance gets a rise out of an audience with the most minute effort. In one scene, there is an off camera person interviewing Tom and his three friends about what love means to each of them. Both of Tomâ Expand
  56. Oct 11, 2011
    Another very long movie with a long drama in which at the end anything happens, not a love story so this movie is nothing, is simply stupid, i really waste my time watching this
  57. Jan 8, 2012
    Light, easy watching but so predictable I lost interest very quickly... my wife liked it so maybe there's hope for this film yet. I'm now just adding characters as this film is uninspiring.
  58. Mar 20, 2012
    This is such a cute, romantic, sad with an nice ending. Loved both characters. Zoey played such a classic, indie & vintage-kind-of girl which makes her so likable & unique. Gordon, as usual, expressed his emotions well. I like how their relationship ended mysteriously & the way they depict the number of days to their screenplay.
  59. Apr 29, 2012
    A truly awful movie. Utterly without point and extremely boring it will literally feel like its been 500 days by the time you have finished watching it. Truly one of the worst movies i have ever seen.
  60. Nov 8, 2012
    One of the best, most original movies of the year.
  61. EnzoP.
    Sep 7, 2009
    500 Days of Summer is so far the best romantic comedy of the year. Its not just for girls dudes will enjoy but probably less. The part that stood out for me about this movie is the cleverness. Many scenes were clever like when it turned into musical also the ending is clever at its best. I also agree with Ronnie B it was cool flipping days through the 500 days with summer. Nothing in this 500 Days of Summer is so far the best romantic comedy of the year. Its not just for girls dudes will enjoy but probably less. The part that stood out for me about this movie is the cleverness. Many scenes were clever like when it turned into musical also the ending is clever at its best. I also agree with Ronnie B it was cool flipping days through the 500 days with summer. Nothing in this film was really bad its just that they could of done a better job overall. Everything could of been better it didn't seem like they gave it their hardest. The acting was good but could of been better. If I felt like they gave it their hardest I would of gave this film a ten. Overall 500 days of summer is the best romantic comedy of the summer. Expand
    Jul 30, 2009
    One of the most entertaining romantic comedies I've seen in a long time. It's thoughtful and bittersweet, and might be the best representation of modern relationships that Hollywood has put out.
  63. AlexP.
    Sep 1, 2009
    A refreshingly unformulaic rom-com, anchored by a finely nuanced performance from Joseph Gordon-Levitt.
  64. RyanS.
    Jan 20, 2010
    A well thought out tale of love ending badly. Plenty of funny moments along the way.
  65. EvinC
    Jan 2, 2010
    Great Film. I can relate to it in every way and it made me realize again why i'm in love with film.
  66. JonathanS.
    Jul 19, 2009
    ...As if a thousand childhood Christmases were crammed into an hour and a half. It lost some steam when it hit the halfway point, but that's irrelevant--Gordon-Levitt's dance scene alone was worth the price of admission; I haven't smiled that much in who knows how long. Simply enjoyable, yet creative and unwilling to give into convention, this movie deserves to break into a ...As if a thousand childhood Christmases were crammed into an hour and a half. It lost some steam when it hit the halfway point, but that's irrelevant--Gordon-Levitt's dance scene alone was worth the price of admission; I haven't smiled that much in who knows how long. Simply enjoyable, yet creative and unwilling to give into convention, this movie deserves to break into a big hit. Not to mention, it's an independent film that uses good music to actually flesh out the scenes, not just act quirky. And having two of my favorite actors didn't hurt at all. I saw it three times through the Fox Searchlight Advance Screening program, and I still plan to see it a fourth time. I'm calling it now: with the expanded slots at the Oscars and Comedy section in the Golden Globes: don't be surprised if this is the little indie that squares off with all the traditional November films like Nine and Shutter Island. Best movie of the summer, along with The Hurt Locker. See it! Expand
  67. bobj
    Jul 30, 2009
    Lol at the people who gave the movie 0s because it wasn't 'deep enough' for them... next time go ahead and walk out, nobody really cares.
  68. MegL
    Aug 30, 2009
    An interesting take on the romantic comedy. Acting is excellent.
  69. CodyB
    Aug 9, 2009
    This movie was absolutely hilarious! There were parts where my wife and I couldn't stop laughing. And for all of the dudes out there... we all know or have dated a girl just like Summer. If you're single and your heart has been manipulated and squashed by a girl like this, you might want to wait to see it when you are married or in a stable relationship, or this movie might just This movie was absolutely hilarious! There were parts where my wife and I couldn't stop laughing. And for all of the dudes out there... we all know or have dated a girl just like Summer. If you're single and your heart has been manipulated and squashed by a girl like this, you might want to wait to see it when you are married or in a stable relationship, or this movie might just PISS YOU OFF! Expand
  70. BruceX
    Oct 4, 2009
    Very realistic, honest portrayal of young adult love relationships that never quite work out--as is often the case in real life. This movie grows on you; good to see with friends and discuss afterwards. Script is superb; you never quite know where it's going,thus keeping up the "suspense."
  71. RichardW.
    Jul 18, 2009
    Sweet without cloying; a wonderful "couple" in a beautifully directed film
  72. LoyalM
    Jul 21, 2009
    The best Cameron Crowe film never made. Joins Before Sunset, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Once, and Garden State as the defining films about relationships for a generation. Oh and the soundtrack, how sweet and lovely.
  73. BenE
    Jul 20, 2009
    One of the most beautifully acted, and brilliantly directed films I have ever seen. True and refreshing cinematic art.
  74. JonathanG.
    Jul 23, 2009
    What do you say about a film that
  75. MariekeW.
    Jul 25, 2009
    This film was horrible. Trite. Anything you see here, you should have seen elsewhere, unless, a) you are 12 and haven't seen any of the great films of our time, or b) you are in need of identifying with zooey deschanel's cultivated quirk of detachment. There was nothing novel about the segments that one could tell were meant to stand out. When they say "it's been done This film was horrible. Trite. Anything you see here, you should have seen elsewhere, unless, a) you are 12 and haven't seen any of the great films of our time, or b) you are in need of identifying with zooey deschanel's cultivated quirk of detachment. There was nothing novel about the segments that one could tell were meant to stand out. When they say "it's been done before", it may not be apt, but in this case it is, because it's been done better. Don't waste your time and energy watching a train-wreck romance....wait for it...crash...when that's all it could ever do. This movie is a sketch of an empty shell of a relationship, without any character development. Nothing to hold onto after it tips you into the void. And no, that's not directorial irony. Expand
  76. stephanie
    Aug 10, 2009
    Thought it was fun, fresh, and hip. Loved the direction and Joseph was great as acting, and Zoey for once wasnt monotone and dull...nice change of pace for a non-romantic comedy. By the way very very funny in a charming way.
  77. AaronG.
    Aug 2, 2009
    A great romantic comedy to bring the summer to an optimistic end.
  78. SteveS
    Aug 26, 2009
    A movie with a lot of potential, and with Joseph Gordon-Leavitt high on my list of up and coming actors I was so excited. I have to say my girlfreind loved the romantic part of the movie (and weird I didn't cause I am a sucker for that) and I was left wondering what another actress could of added to this film. Leavitt held everything together as I wondered why Zooey Deschanel A movie with a lot of potential, and with Joseph Gordon-Leavitt high on my list of up and coming actors I was so excited. I have to say my girlfreind loved the romantic part of the movie (and weird I didn't cause I am a sucker for that) and I was left wondering what another actress could of added to this film. Leavitt held everything together as I wondered why Zooey Deschanel doesn't completely stick to singing since she does it in every film too. Zooey = corny and the same in every movie. Gordon-Leavitt = no more GI Joe and more movies like Brick and Mysterious Skin PLEASE Expand
  79. hc
    Aug 5, 2009
    I'm surprised by how much I liked this movie even with the hipster/stylized elements. Gordon-Levitt is really a solid actor and the writing/direction was great. I'm not big on romantic comedies, but I definitely liked this quite a bit---there was some real honesty that was totally refreshing, while still being a pretty cinematic film.
  80. DaleM
    Aug 7, 2009
    This most excellent film is not your typical love story. As a matter of fact, it may not be a love story at all. In some ways it's more about growing up than it is about love. In other ways it's more about how we perceive reality than it is about love or growing up. In other ways it's more about the indefatigable spirit of life and about not ever really growing up but about This most excellent film is not your typical love story. As a matter of fact, it may not be a love story at all. In some ways it's more about growing up than it is about love. In other ways it's more about how we perceive reality than it is about love or growing up. In other ways it's more about the indefatigable spirit of life and about not ever really growing up but about how one season just flows into the next in a wonderful cycle driven, as Dante pointed out, by the power of love. So in the end, it really is a love story. The story in this film is told in non-chronological order. The structure is more like the structure of memory. In our consciousness, memories from different past time periods pop up next to one another without chronological ordering. Yet despite it being told as a series of memories, the end of the film is more difficult to predict than your typical romantic comedy. The non-chronological story line is only one way that 500 Days of Summer presents life in subjective terms. Our emotions often color our perceptions. In this film, the story is colored by the main character's emotions. When he is happy, he remembers happy things and perceives happiness around him. If you watch the film closely, you will even how the movies tend to mold his perceptions. At one point, I thought I was watching a scene from the Graduate, but it was actually an original scene in the film. The end result of all this originality is a film with a wide emotional range that is lots of fun. Excellent acting, good music, and good art direction and dancing. Expand
  81. RickA
    Sep 1, 2009
    I liked it.
  82. SlickDaddy
    Sep 13, 2009
    I loved this movie. VERY good romantic comedy. The main characters were AWESOME! Zooey is amazing!
  83. TobyH
    Sep 16, 2009
    Such an emotional movie, it took my breath away! A film I could watch again! A director who can make Zooey Deschanel seem like a decent actress is worth watching out for.
  84. LuisG
    Sep 23, 2009
    often said but rarely true .. this is the most original story about love in years ... true, poignant and very resonating - leads are pitch perfect so far my fav film this year
  85. TravisC
    Sep 7, 2009
    Visually and psychologically interesting, but ultimately a little unsatisfying. Gordon-Levitt's acting was excellent.
  86. Kyle
    Sep 7, 2009
    I felt this was a relatively boring film. I didn't find any of the characters likeable and it was a disappointment that there wasn't a twist in the plot or a surprise ending. It's a fairly predictible movie. Catch it when it runs on cable on a rainy day. It's not worth forking out the money to see in the theater.
  87. JillianH
    Jan 24, 2010
    I absolutely adore this movie. It is entirely original, no matter what anyone says. Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel were great as the doomed lovers, though I began to hate Summer as the movie progressed.
  88. AngelR.
    Feb 1, 2010
    im a dude and i have to say i loved this movie. holy shit i expected less. this isn't cliched at all it's a love story but it isn't because the boy meets the girl then loses her and the end was the best she replied "autumn."
  89. AlS
    Mar 23, 2010
    After 2/3 of this movie I wondered what the hype was about. It seemed like standard fare, maybe a bit boring. Then it all came together. Striking message about life, love, and how feelings don't necessarily match reality. Very hopeful ending - funny, uplifting. Levitt's acting was fantastic throughout.
  90. EmmanuelS
    Nov 11, 2009
    Beautiful for men, hard for women. And it´s not an error.
  91. AlexG
    Nov 10, 2009
    This was one of the finest movies i have ever seen because of the realness Marc Webb brought out of it. There is not a single scene in this movie that does not impact the viewer in some way or another. Whether critics or viewers accept it or not (500) Days of Summer also brings out many truths about love that are lost in other movies that are similarly made. Zooey Deschanel and Joseph This was one of the finest movies i have ever seen because of the realness Marc Webb brought out of it. There is not a single scene in this movie that does not impact the viewer in some way or another. Whether critics or viewers accept it or not (500) Days of Summer also brings out many truths about love that are lost in other movies that are similarly made. Zooey Deschanel and Joseph Gordon-Levitt are charming, funny, and smart and this is a must see! Expand
  92. GrahamR
    Nov 15, 2009
    A very likable film with an endearing charm. Deschanel is as delightful as ever.
  93. KenG
    Oct 15, 2009
    ***Spoiler alert*** I notice some critics and fans have called this an original romantic comedy, which I don't really get. Other then the fact that the couple ultimately break-up, I found this to be a rather conventional romantic-comedy. And I don't know if merely having the couple end up apart, qualifies a movies as original. But I thought it was a conventional romantic-comedy ***Spoiler alert*** I notice some critics and fans have called this an original romantic comedy, which I don't really get. Other then the fact that the couple ultimately break-up, I found this to be a rather conventional romantic-comedy. And I don't know if merely having the couple end up apart, qualifies a movies as original. But I thought it was a conventional romantic-comedy that was done with heart, is well acted, and has a bittersweet feel. Expand
  94. progyandas
    Nov 7, 2009
    Really good movie...great songs...good acting..however got pissed off by some points so deducted 3 points...the docile nature of the guy really turned me off..he looked really servile nd timid..it looked as if the girl was bossing around with him..2 go with it was the really irritating nature of the female character...though there is bound to be all kinds of characters and one must judge Really good movie...great songs...good acting..however got pissed off by some points so deducted 3 points...the docile nature of the guy really turned me off..he looked really servile nd timid..it looked as if the girl was bossing around with him..2 go with it was the really irritating nature of the female character...though there is bound to be all kinds of characters and one must judge them only by the portrayl of the character's nature but still guys are bound to get a bit annoyed...also i don't really like sad endings so..:(..but the film was properly paced and i didn't get bored for even a minute..really good acting from both the leads..the movie was also a welcome change coz it showed the guy moving on in life and making peace with reality..different from the routine romantic comedy...also i think the smartass role of the little sister could have been done away with..as kids look good only in cute roles..all said and done the movie is worth a watch...go watch it!!!! Expand
  95. tomw
    Dec 11, 2009
    A truly touching and contemporary film that rekindled the heart aches of falling for the wrong girl. Ouch,can't remember the last movie that made me feel this way.
  96. MiKE
    Dec 23, 2009
    A love story without any action, yet I found it very intresting. wasnt bored for a sec, and wanted to know how the movie was going to end! Very enjoyable movie!
  97. JimM
    Dec 24, 2009
    This is a very good movie in so many ways. But if you are one who needs the "they lived happily ever after" fairy tale ending -- like some of the critics who downgraded the film for only that reason (go figure!) -- you might be a little disappointed. However, if enjoy good acting, clever writing, and a realistic story line executed in a fresh way you'll probably enjoy this film. It This is a very good movie in so many ways. But if you are one who needs the "they lived happily ever after" fairy tale ending -- like some of the critics who downgraded the film for only that reason (go figure!) -- you might be a little disappointed. However, if enjoy good acting, clever writing, and a realistic story line executed in a fresh way you'll probably enjoy this film. It has a real sincere genuine quality to it. Expand
  98. Norm
    Jul 17, 2009
    Zooey Deschanel might be, finally, on a solid career track. Her performance in her last five movies have been good . . . after an earlier spotty track record. Joseph Gordon-Levitt's work has been fairly consistently strong since leaving sitcom TV. The two 28 year olds are perfectly cast in (500) Days Of Summer. The interaction of their relationship, cleverly written, rang true. In Zooey Deschanel might be, finally, on a solid career track. Her performance in her last five movies have been good . . . after an earlier spotty track record. Joseph Gordon-Levitt's work has been fairly consistently strong since leaving sitcom TV. The two 28 year olds are perfectly cast in (500) Days Of Summer. The interaction of their relationship, cleverly written, rang true. In fact I would say it was probably universally true. I bet every one can identify with one or another or both. They seemed so right for each other . . . not to mention both being super cute. But . . . Well. we are warned very early in the film that this is not going to be a successful love story. So I wasn't expecting a "they live happily ever after" kind of ending. But the ending, which evoked laughter and applause from the small audience - it was a 10:30 a.m. showing, was most satisfying. Expand
  99. TyroneG.
    Jul 18, 2009
    What an amazing work. Truly the best of the year. I finally feel like my generation has it's "the graduate" or "annie hall." Just wonderful writing perfectly executed from the top down. Bravo! Can't wait to see it again!

1. Reviewed by: Scott Knopf
    You're going to hear a lot about 500 Days of Summer over the next few months. All of the good stuff is true. Any bad stuff you hear is not.
  2. Deschanel does what she does seemingly without effort, managing to convey Summer's mixed-up messed-upness.
  3. The writing is often clever and the overall production playful and intelligent.