7.2

1. DerekP
    Jan 2, 2010
    A very inventive movie with stunning visuals.
  2. kw
    Sep 10, 2009
    Nice tidy little experience,didn't take any chances,or stray from the main plot,but very good what they stayed with.The ending has to be controversial.
  3. BobW
    Oct 2, 2009
    Though the story may be a rehash of a familiar theme, it is visually stunning.
  4. CelesteC.
    Sep 30, 2009
    That movie is totally for me. All Sci-fiyy.
  5. TashaB
    Sep 9, 2009
    The movie is visually stunning and has a great score but the plot and character development are lacking. This could have been a truly great movie had they taken the time to flesh out the characters, add a little back story, and be more elaborate with the themes of the story. Also, the ending was too ambiguous. Still, it was entertaining so I do recommend it. It was just disappointing The movie is visually stunning and has a great score but the plot and character development are lacking. This could have been a truly great movie had they taken the time to flesh out the characters, add a little back story, and be more elaborate with the themes of the story. Also, the ending was too ambiguous. Still, it was entertaining so I do recommend it. It was just disappointing because I've been looking forward to it for so long and it didn't quite meet my expectations. Expand
  6. WillK.
    Sep 9, 2009
    Greatest movie ever! Great story line, spectacular action sequences, Tim Burton does it again. One of my favorite movies.
  7. C.T.H.
    Oct 1, 2009
    I thought it was pretty good not as good as other animated movies, but certainly one a kind i would see it to find out for your self!!!
  8. BrandonJ.
    Nov 20, 2009
    A brilliant animated masterpiece. Excellent animation, excellent plot, excellent action sequences.
  9. ClaudioB
    Nov 20, 2009
    "9" is a great movie. The animation is excellent, the plot is entertaining, The action sequences are great. The only problems are that it is a little short for the story it tells, and it has a few clichés.
  10. DiablonioM
    Dec 25, 2009
    Good, but the short film in which it is based is better.
  11. MichaelW.
    Sep 11, 2009
    I have to agree with Moriah G. This movie was awesome! The action was intense, the characters were great, and the animation was stunning. I recommend this film to all ages. I can't wait to see what Shane Acker does next.
  12. NickS
    Sep 10, 2009
    Maybe this movie has a short run time, But the action would go great for 4th graders 9 years old and up. Even though this movie is rated PG13 its good. I give this movie 10 stars out of 10, cause this movie is really stunning, has great animation, and feels more better for Tweens in 4th grade and up.
  13. TaylorD
    Sep 13, 2009
    A dark trance. Visually captivating and stunning. The action was intense and the movie was more emotional than I was expecting. I found it to be very reminiscent of the short. Heavily action and if something wasn't fighting something else, it had a suspenseful feel to it. Both were visually dark and had a bittersweet end and overall tone. Happy one moment, but the next just strikes A dark trance. Visually captivating and stunning. The action was intense and the movie was more emotional than I was expecting. I found it to be very reminiscent of the short. Heavily action and if something wasn't fighting something else, it had a suspenseful feel to it. Both were visually dark and had a bittersweet end and overall tone. Happy one moment, but the next just strikes in a powerful way. The story, I would say, wasn't powerful, but I do like it overall. I feel the direction it was going was great, but like the movies consensus says, it was a little familiar, it still intrigued me, not the reason I gave it a 10 though. I don't find it to be as weak as many claim, I saw some definite definition, but I have always wondered on to what I actually find to be a truly great plot and what is not, it seems in quality, a story is a story, and I can't really judge one better than the other, as there are different perspectives, different likes, and such. I don't know what a strong plot would be, what a good story is compared to others. This movie doesn't tell much of a story, but overall I got something that I feel is bigger than what is easily shown. I definitely believe the story is deep, just not much is shown, and the action overpowers it. The story was good in my opinion, it could have been deeper, more thoughtful, but I thought it was good. My only complaint is the voice acting, basically only that of 5(John C. Reilly), which I found a little emotionless and with a monotone voice. Everyone else did fine though. The real pride and joy is the captivating visuals. The dark scenery. Spot-on sounds. Like the marketing portrays, this movie is not one for young children. It has several creepy moments, and the whole movie is one dark set. Few moments in the movie are really uplifting. I feel I have been hypnotized, I will end it there. Expand
  14. HaydenM
    Sep 20, 2009
    Great movie with outstanding special effects, interesting characters, and plenty of action. But I agree with some of the other reviewers that this movie is not for kids.
  15. EricE
    Sep 24, 2009
    I enjoyed this quirky movie. Kinda typical in a non-typical way. If you like dark Tim Burton types of movies then you would probably like this movie.
  16. JasonD
    Sep 28, 2009
    I would say that this movie is not bad but at the same time it was not great. I had a lot of expectations for this film. I actually like that fact that it is geared for adults. The look is cool and it has a very scary feel to it. The robots are coll looking as well. I thinkn that my biggest issue is the whole thing feels rushed. It doesn't give you enough time to connect with any of I would say that this movie is not bad but at the same time it was not great. I had a lot of expectations for this film. I actually like that fact that it is geared for adults. The look is cool and it has a very scary feel to it. The robots are coll looking as well. I thinkn that my biggest issue is the whole thing feels rushed. It doesn't give you enough time to connect with any of the characters. It would say this is a rental. Expand
  17. RickyH
    Sep 9, 2009
    I'd planned to see this movie for the past month and a half, seeing as it came out precisely a week before my birthday. Shane Acker is an amazing story-teller and 9 proves it. I thought the animation, voice acting and plot were all incredible. The only thing that disappointed me was that 1, 2, 5, 6, and 8 all died; I thought they were coming back. But overall, best movie I've I'd planned to see this movie for the past month and a half, seeing as it came out precisely a week before my birthday. Shane Acker is an amazing story-teller and 9 proves it. I thought the animation, voice acting and plot were all incredible. The only thing that disappointed me was that 1, 2, 5, 6, and 8 all died; I thought they were coming back. But overall, best movie I've seen all year. Expand
  18. LiamK
    Nov 13, 2009
    It was visually spectacular of course and it didn't have much of a plot or character develpment. But I was not expecting much of that so overall I think this film met my standards.
  19. TreyC
    This movie rocked!
  20. DanielM
    Sep 11, 2009
    Although the plot seemed old, the thematic part seemed brand new. 9 Had a good combination of sweet and bitter, sometimes meshing into each other. Tim Burton never fails to find a good story to entertain people with.
  21. MoriahG.
    Sep 11, 2009
    After a long, disappointing summer, filled with nothing but box-office driven, mindlessly name-brand, soullessly big budget spectacles, "9" stands out as painstakingly, hand crafted thing of beauty. The intricate detail, carefully placed in each frame, provides a consistently flawless and gratifying visual experience. It deftly manages mature themes, without resorting to vulgarity, while After a long, disappointing summer, filled with nothing but box-office driven, mindlessly name-brand, soullessly big budget spectacles, "9" stands out as painstakingly, hand crafted thing of beauty. The intricate detail, carefully placed in each frame, provides a consistently flawless and gratifying visual experience. It deftly manages mature themes, without resorting to vulgarity, while maintaining an unrelenting barrage of heart-pounding action sequences. The overall flow of the narrative does suffer from rushed storytelling, but it more than makes up for it with an endearing array of unique and believable characters. This film is the perfect example of why I, as an adult, still find value in animated feature films. This film is a perfect example of why it is unnecessary to dumb-down a narrative in order to facilitate a younger demographic, just because it is animated. Expand
  22. EnzoP.
    Sep 12, 2009
    9 is so far the best animated movie of the year 2nd is Up. Yes, second is Up most people beg to differ but I felt like 9 delivered more adventure (of course it's in action film) and more consistent. When I mean consistent I mean interest throughout the entire film. Third would go to coraline I saw it in 3-D and nothing was in 3-D what a waste of money. Alright, now going back to 9. 9 is so far the best animated movie of the year 2nd is Up. Yes, second is Up most people beg to differ but I felt like 9 delivered more adventure (of course it's in action film) and more consistent. When I mean consistent I mean interest throughout the entire film. Third would go to coraline I saw it in 3-D and nothing was in 3-D what a waste of money. Alright, now going back to 9. Once I saw the trailer the first thing that caught my mind was check out that outfit. C'mon it's so clever they are in a potato sack type thing. Then after that I saw the trailer again but now in HD. Then the first thing that caught my mind was the animation it was so cool. It was beautiful the animation was ridiculous. A big reason why you should see this film on the big screen is because of how the animation looks. Also Shane Acker is such a clever man the main plot of this film is astonishing. So after a while its opening week for 9 so im looking at the times. So while im looking I see how long the film is and I see 79 minutes. So I do some research and I realize that it was first a short film by Shane Acker, and Tim Burton loved it so much he wanted to make a blockbuster film about what the short film was about. So this is Shane Acker's directional debut. He did 9 the short film and that was it. So they grabbed some pretty big actors and for their writer they got Pamela Pettler. She was the writer of Tim Burton's Corpse Bride and not Tim Burton's Monster House.(I sat that because it would of sounded like Tim Burton had something to do with Monster House.) Before I let this review be posted there is something I want say. My last sentence before I post is, Tim Burton is so underrated that man is a genie. Expand
  23. Ryencoke
    Sep 13, 2009
    This movie blew my expectations away. I was expecting an excellent movie to start with. And it blew me away. Everything about this film was well done. Worth every penny to see in theater.
  24. Anonomouys
    Sep 14, 2009
    Very good. the story wasnt as bad as some people say and the characters were fleshed out to the point were it was enough. The action was just phenomenal, and the same goes to the animation and VA.
  25. AlecH
    Sep 14, 2009
    Minor spoiler. The main reason I decided to write a review is to respond to the review by Chris S. The sack people were never meant to reproduce. There was no flaw in their creation. If you recall at the end of the movie when 9 releases the others' souls and they float up into the sky, it begins to rain. In the rain are little green blobs. This is life starting anew. So you see, they Minor spoiler. The main reason I decided to write a review is to respond to the review by Chris S. The sack people were never meant to reproduce. There was no flaw in their creation. If you recall at the end of the movie when 9 releases the others' souls and they float up into the sky, it begins to rain. In the rain are little green blobs. This is life starting anew. So you see, they actually did succeed in their mission to save the future. The only real problem I had with the movie is that it was too short. If the plot had been developed just a little more and the action scenes extended, then this would be getting a full 10 out of 10. It is visually stunning and full of action. This is a must see! Expand
  26. RickA
    Sep 15, 2009
    I thought it was creative for something animated that had a little different story line and unique feel to the characters. I liked it but not enough to see it twice or three times like I did Coraline. It is worth the money.
  27. BradM
    Dec 21, 2009
    A piece of brilliance, both in originality and visuals. Although short, it felt right at 80 minutes. Do we really need the 2-3 hour epics? straight to the point. Harrowing, haunting, yet my 5-year old totally got this movie. I feel the story treats the audience respect, both young and old. A favourite for years to come.
  28. marxmetacritic
    Dec 31, 2009
    This is the best movie I have ever seen in my life. I have been counting the days for the sheer perfection of this indescribably brilliant film to swoop down from heaven to DVD and Blue-Ray. Any one age 11 and a third or over can should and hopefully will see this film. I have found that ever since I saw this beautiful piece of art 4 months ago I have not gone a single day without This is the best movie I have ever seen in my life. I have been counting the days for the sheer perfection of this indescribably brilliant film to swoop down from heaven to DVD and Blue-Ray. Any one age 11 and a third or over can should and hopefully will see this film. I have found that ever since I saw this beautiful piece of art 4 months ago I have not gone a single day without watching the trailer at least once. Life just wont be complete without seeing this film at least once. Expand
  29. Sep 28, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Set in a post apocalyptic world where all life on Earth has been wiped out by machines, or rather one machine in particular. This film focuses on the efforts of a group of inventions, numbered 1 to 9, who try to redeem the scientist who made both them and the machine that destroyed the world. The machine has been dormant for many years, but one of its progeny, a mechanical cat-like creature protects its lair and takes anything that moves into itâ Expand
  30. Apr 30, 2011
    Although 9 doesn't run for very long, and the plot may not seem there at times, it's still worth the time, with its visuals that are on par with Blue Sky and an amazing voice cast that includes Elijah Wood and John C. Reilly.

1. 9 never adds up to much. It's a dark adult film that gives itself over to the chases and frights of a kiddie movie.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Design aspects are arresting and the filmmaker's abilities are obvious, but the basic survival story remains slight, just as the general setting, no matter how artfully imagined, is by now pretty familiar.
    This is post-apocalyptic adventure as imagined for a teen crowd, and what it lacks in depth it makes up for in action. With a slight running time of 80 minutes, 9 doesn't contain an ounce of fat on its animated bones.