A Bug's Life

8.0

1. Sep 29, 2011
    "A Bug's Life" is a well-animated movie that rounds up to a good morale; screw the dictators. I personally enjoyed one of Pixar's early masterpieces.
  2. Apr 7, 2011
    Excellent movie by Pixar that introduced many children to Kurosawa's "Seven Samurai," in an animated, yet brilliant way. Amazing cast of voice actors as well!
  3. Jan 6, 2012
    A Bug's Life is Pixar's second-worst film to date, which is quite a victory for Pixar considering I'm awarding it an 8/10. It just isn't quite as much of an instant classic as the other films made by Pixar are due to it not being quite as memorable. It is very good still, funny, well acted, well written and perfectly executed like all other of Pixar's films. I don't really know why I'dA Bug's Life is Pixar's second-worst film to date, which is quite a victory for Pixar considering I'm awarding it an 8/10. It just isn't quite as much of an instant classic as the other films made by Pixar are due to it not being quite as memorable. It is very good still, funny, well acted, well written and perfectly executed like all other of Pixar's films. I don't really know why I'd give it an 8, it just doesn't seem quite as good as other Pixar films. I recommend it to anyone wanting to watch a very good animated family film, as the story is relatively friendly to all ages and can produce laughs for people of pretty much any age, enjoy. Expand
  4. Oct 19, 2014
    The story of an ant named Flik who is searching for a way to save his colony from the evil grasshoppers, so he travels a long way to find out if anyone can save them.
  5. Joe
    Jun 12, 2010
    Let's see. The folks who rated this movie low can't even spell "decent" or "disappoint" correctly. A great film with great animation, voice acting, and some really funny moments.
  6. Jan 13, 2011
    The movie seeks to arouse appreciation, compassion and respect for the bug world. It makes them sympathetic by actually first making fun of them using social stereotypes that are also applicable to humans. Among them: ants losing it when something unexpected falls in their way; flies being hedonists enjoying their short 24-hour life; and pleasure becoming self-destruction when a bugThe movie seeks to arouse appreciation, compassion and respect for the bug world. It makes them sympathetic by actually first making fun of them using social stereotypes that are also applicable to humans. Among them: ants losing it when something unexpected falls in their way; flies being hedonists enjoying their short 24-hour life; and pleasure becoming self-destruction when a bug cannot resist flying into the beautiful, to die for light of a bug zapper. Politically, the A Bug's Life criticizes feudalism (the oppression of peasants by the nobility), and advertises for progress and change from being narrow-minded conservatives advancing to a liberation movement. The guys from Pixar put much love into this one and made it a cute and fun movie. Expand
  7. JackC
    Apr 17, 2010
    One of my favorite movies when I was a kid!
  8. Sophie
    Jul 31, 2007
    I honestly don't get why this movie didn't get as good reviews as the other Pixars. In my opinion this is a fantastic movie. Maybe not as great as Toy Story, but definitely something worth watching again and again.
  9. viktorg.
    Nov 30, 2009
    It´s for me the best of the pixar´s movies! It´s very funny and witty!!!
  10. KittyC.
    Jul 24, 2004
    A highly imaginative and enjoyable movie which will entertain adults as well as children, with a charming cast of characters, a good plot and good gags.
  11. JackB.
  13. NicholasD
    Oct 11, 2006
    Great.
  14. Oct 4, 2010
    One of Pixar's earliest films, 'A Bug's Life' is certainly not among the studio's best, and yet it is still a fantastic achievement. It is Pixar, of course the animation is superb and the story, as well as being funny and entertaining, also carries messages such as acceptance and honesty. Like 'Toy Story', the writers have also created a whole bunch of fun and memorable characters, fromOne of Pixar's earliest films, 'A Bug's Life' is certainly not among the studio's best, and yet it is still a fantastic achievement. It is Pixar, of course the animation is superb and the story, as well as being funny and entertaining, also carries messages such as acceptance and honesty. Like 'Toy Story', the writers have also created a whole bunch of fun and memorable characters, from the gluttonous German caterpillar Heimlich, to the proud and proper praying mantis, Manny. The story has a similar start to many other films, featuring the 'nut' in the colony who doesn't fit in with everyone else, but it grows into an original and adventurous film, thanks to the fact that the story is in a 'bug world', giving the writers the opportunity to open the door to imagination and create exciting scenarios and conflicts that the characters encounter. I found 'A Bug's Life' highly enjoyable, a great family film by the always brilliant Pixar. Expand
  15. Oct 31, 2010
    its my least favorite Pixar movie, but still its great!
  16. Apr 24, 2011
    Not as good as some of the other great Pixar movies but it's still a well done movie.
  17. Feb 9, 2011
    Yes the plot is a complete rip-off of seven samurai, and for that it loses a mark. HOWEVER with animation this beautiful, characters this interesting, and voicework this good, it's hard not to like. Pixar are widely considered the greatest family film makers, and this is why.
  18. Nov 13, 2013
    A Bug's Life is a far cry from being Disney Pixar's best movie but it is still funny and intelligent enough to provide an hour and half of solid entertainment for children and adults alike.
  19. Jul 16, 2011
    The second Pixar Movie. Although Pixar are the best in the business, there is unfortunately no way you could give this movie a full commendation. Nevertheless, it is still a great piece of art by John Lasseter and Andrew Stanton.

I do admit it is a major disappointment after Toy Story. Still, it is an underrated movie. A Bug's Life is not a classics, but sure is a good piece of Pixar Genius.

A Bug's Life is one of those movies that do grab on to your skull in the mental sense. It's a joy ride really. One minute it's intense, the next it's died down and all sorts of plot notation is being thrown at you. The plot itself is simple and understandable, but at the same time, so well planned in script and structure. The only element in this movie that seems to have more effort than Toy Story was. The Characters are unique in the production sense of the word. The Animation is amazing and shows us really what Pixar was capable of back in the days where animated movies were pioneering. Overall, Not as good as Toy Story, but in the end, A Bug's Life is something special.
  20. Aug 9, 2011
    Disney Classic , What more can you say ? It had funny moments , And very good animation. Ide reccomend anyone to sit down with the family and watch this movie
  21. Aug 11, 2011
    It's light and entertaining with some classic, stand-out moments but this movie is nothing in comparison to what Pixar would eventually come out with.
  22. Oct 3, 2011
    My god, I do not know what to say about this movie. It was a long time ago, but from what I remember is a movie that is even quite humorous. (Part Two) I've seen the film again, and in fact is a film that pulls a lot of attention for the animation involved. Undoubtedly well done, although for children.
  23. Nov 10, 2011
    It is one of Pixar's most adventurous films. Flik the ant leaves his colony when he looks for tough bugs to help stop the ongoing struggle for the ants and stand up to the grasshoppers.
  24. Nov 15, 2011
    Excellent movie, heart-warming themes of friendship, courage and self-sacrifice. It portrays a fantastic moral and subtle life lessons that children need to become aware of. However, I didn't feel like it was Pixar at its best. Still, it's a great movie, above average than all other movies.
  25. Jan 16, 2012
    Although not so hot on the original level and it can be boring. The film is clever, heartfelt and offers some memorable characters and along with great animation you've got a successful film. I give this movie 76%.
  26. Sep 1, 2014
    A Bug's Life is an often forgotten Disney masterpiece from the 1990s. The story is a special one--and certainly more perfected than Antz, also released in 1998. The film is both charming and well-rounded.
  27. Nov 26, 2015
    A bugs life is an excellent movie not only for kids but for the whole family. Has an amazing cast of voice actors. Brillant crafted. with very good animation
  28. Mar 11, 2013
    As Toy Story and this Pixar movie is great!!!!! Interesting, fun, great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  29. Nov 28, 2012
    Magnificently funny comedy and voice acting work, majestically spellbinding animation and a uniquely impressive story make "A Bug's Life" a gleaming addition to Pixar's repertoire.
  30. Jul 4, 2013
    "A Bug's Life" holds a powerful message, and does it quite well, but maybe doesn't hold the highest level of storytelling. Still, with great visuals, puns, laughs, and detailed characters, "A Bug's Life" is able to score.
  31. Aug 3, 2013
    A great movie all together with its clever humor themed to insects, amusing bloopers in the credits and the suspense in dramatic scenes when it hits their mark. A Pixar masterpiece!
  32. Nov 12, 2013
    An intricate and thought-out tale of adventure, isolation, and self-loathing. Great voice acting and great dialogue coupled with spectacular animation. 'A Bug's Life' sat in my VHS box for years after I saw it once as a toddler, but then I took another look and I loved it, I mean we still have a VHS. It's amazing, my parents always seemed to be irritated by it, I suspect my brotherAn intricate and thought-out tale of adventure, isolation, and self-loathing. Great voice acting and great dialogue coupled with spectacular animation. 'A Bug's Life' sat in my VHS box for years after I saw it once as a toddler, but then I took another look and I loved it, I mean we still have a VHS. It's amazing, my parents always seemed to be irritated by it, I suspect my brother watched it to the point of insanity, in my parent's case. Expand
  33. Mar 6, 2014
    A Bug's Life doesn't fail at story or animation: it's actually quite proficient in those areas. But the story, characters, and dialogue fall flat more than not.
  34. Oct 31, 2013
    i don't know why people hate too much this film,it's a great movie and it have a lot of good and interesting characters wich i grow up seeing then and i enjoyed a lot.
  35. Mar 1, 2014
    It was nice, and leaves a message fellowship and faith in oneself, but the problem I found was that the plot fell many times, that is, I did not like the characters out of their role, if they do not understand me , return to it again and carefully observe the protagonists. But this movie was my favorite and perhaps stay there forever.
  36. Apr 27, 2014
    This movie is pure genius. It shows how if people stand together they can stand up to bullies or anyone standing in there way. It shows that strength is in numbers and brains. It's so sweet and the characters are so colourful as Pixar's always are!
  37. Feb 7, 2015
    A Bug's Life is another Pixar gem. Computer animation was the perfect way to capture the world of insects and this movie is just as relevant now as it ever was. A Bug's Life can still be enjoyed by today's children. I know I spent a lot of afternoons watching this film. I never noticed until years later how great the cast of voices were for this movie which was headlined by Kevin SpaceyA Bug's Life is another Pixar gem. Computer animation was the perfect way to capture the world of insects and this movie is just as relevant now as it ever was. A Bug's Life can still be enjoyed by today's children. I know I spent a lot of afternoons watching this film. I never noticed until years later how great the cast of voices were for this movie which was headlined by Kevin Spacey and Julia Louis Dreyfus. Expand
  38. Oct 13, 2014
    This is definitely one their lesser films and isn't nearly as memorable as the others, which isn't to say that it's bad. It's a good movie, quite clever and full of heart, some of the side characters are pretty funny. Unfortunately the story isn't it's strong part. Despite this being one of Pixar's weaker films, I will say it's passable
  39. Mar 28, 2015
    It may not be the best Pixar film out there, without the feel-good story that most of the films in the Disney/Pixar universe have, but "A Bug's Life" is a real treat visually and character-wise.
  40. Apr 13, 2015
    9/10 .................................................................................…………............................................................
  41. Apr 6, 2015
    a bug life Is not as good as toy story but it's pretty good. bug's life has the lair lair chicle and does not suck. a bug life is a good movie for kids and adults.
  42. Apr 21, 2015
    When his ant colony comes under attack from evil grasshoppers, idealistic young Flick sets off to recruit animals who will help defend their honour and lives. He happens upon a disgraced circus troupe who readily agree, with neither party fully aware of what they're getting themselves into...

So one day while browsing through Sky movie channels my wife out of nowhere perked up saying she had only seen part of A Bug's Life so that was the obvious choice and the rest is history. Well, not quite. I saw this movie so many times as a kid that it's ingrained into my skull. I couldn't remember much about the plot, but as soon as it started I was flooded with visuals, characters, jokes, and even emotions it gave me. It's always nice to revisit a blast from the past.

After the flood of memories subsided and I drifted back into reality, the first thing I noticed was the animation. By today's standards it actually looks quite dated, as bizarre as that sounds. You can tell how far computer animation has come over the years. Look at movies like Brave, Rango and How to Train Your Dragon which are bursting with a crisp and sharp attention to detail. You can see every individual blade of grass, every strand of hair, and every reptilian scale. It's easy to forget where it all started. Toy Story was of course the first to make success of it and look great in the process. It's has quickly eased in amongst the classics. A Bug's Life was Pixar's follow-up and so it follows much of animation clunkines that was unavoidable at the time, and yet it certainly developed it. Every Pixar movie developed computer animation just that little bit further and A Bug's Life innovation comes in the way of crowds. It's a movie about ants, so naturally there's going to be a lot of individual bodies to consider. It's not as stark an innovation as Sully's hair in Monster's Inc., but it's definitely worthy of note when you see a vast expanse of ants all brimming with individual character (ironically enough).

The general concept though is nearing genius, unsurprisingly for Pixar. The down-and-out group are ants, so everything is brought to their level. The rival gang are the much larger Grasshoppers which look suitably gnarly. The protagonist we're offered is a clumsy yet ambitious ant who has a slew of genius ideas and inventions, including a telescope made out of a roll of grass and a ball of dew. There are other little touches here and there, like a leaf folded into a cap, cans and barrels standing as bars and nightclubs, various wings sounding more like motorbikes or helicopters, and how brutal rain can be when you're that small. It also opens itself up to various jokes by poking fun at them. The opening scene pokes fun at ants following set trails hilariously, and there's one quote that has stuck with me for all these years - "No Harry! Don't go towards the light! - I can't help it...it's so beautiful...BZZZT"

It's not all airy fairy though. It does genuinely reach some horrifying places at times. Hopper is one of the scariest villains Pixar have ever put out, in no small part to Kevin Spacey's fantastic voice acting. It's such a dominating and threatening presence even without the animated grasshopper body. There's a fantastic scene where he answers why they must go back to the anthill that is sure to have you laughing nervously. You find it funny, but you're quivering in your boots too much to really let your amusement rip. The grasshopper's final arrival is literally shrouded in mist, making it all the more sinister and foreboding, and it's accompanied by some quite dark threats. The horror that always stuck with me as a kid though was Hopper's demise. You don't see anything obviously, but my imagination filled in the gaps and it was distressing, even if he was evil and scary.

It's a worthy addition to the Pixar library, especially considering it was their follow-up to the massive Toy Story. It had cutting-edge animation for it's time, although there's no denying that it's simplicity and clunkiness hasn't aged it well. In true Pixar fashion in manages to be very funny, hugely entertaining, and contain copious amounts of heart (maybe a bit too much?), while not being afraid to scare and disturb. I give A Bug's Life a good 7/10.
  43. Apr 24, 2015
    It's almost a shame that A Bug's Life is debuting so close in the wake of Antz (although, to be fair, the latter film was the first to enter production). No matter when the Pixar/Disney production reached theaters, comparisons between the two computer-animated insect movies would be inevitable, but, with only seven weeks separating their openings, those comparisons will be more intense.It's almost a shame that A Bug's Life is debuting so close in the wake of Antz (although, to be fair, the latter film was the first to enter production). No matter when the Pixar/Disney production reached theaters, comparisons between the two computer-animated insect movies would be inevitable, but, with only seven weeks separating their openings, those comparisons will be more intense. Fortunately, A Bug's Life can withstand the scrutiny. Despite a number of similarities to Antz, there are enough variations in plot and tone to warrant another visit to the unique and wondrous world existing beneath the blades of grass.

In a head-to-head comparison, it's easy to make an argument for either Antz or A Bug's Life as the best entry in almost every category that the two share. Antz contains somewhat more mature content; A Bug's Life is designed a little more with kids in mind. However, as is true of Antz, the story presented in A Bug's Life works well on two levels. Children will appreciate the likable characters and fast-paced adventure; adults will marvel at the skillful animation and subtle humor. For "star power," Antz undeniably comes out on top, with instantly-recognizable names like Woody Allen, Sylvester Stallone, Sharon Stone, and Gene Hackman (as opposed to David Foley, Denis Leary, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, and Kevin Spacey). But it's important to note that immediate voice recognition doesn't necessarily add anything to a performance (although, admittedly, it's fun to hear the banter between Allen and Stallone). The vocal acting in A Bug's Life is no less accomplished or effective than that in Antz. Visually, the films are both brilliantly detailed and wonderfully textured. A Bug's Life gives new dimensions to the diminutive world - a place where raindrops are dangerous projectiles, single berries provide full meals, and the most feared enemy is a bird. And, while most of Antz relies on earthy tones, A Bug's Life explodes with a cacophony of color. Of the three computer-animated feature length films to reach the screen thus far, this is the most dazzling.

One thing A Bug's Life has that Antz does not is a ingenious series of end credits. Instead of just the latest lame Randy Newman song warbling over scrolling names, we are presented with a collection of mocked-up outtakes that parody the kinds of flubs and goofs which have come to decorate the credits of numerous comedies. It's brilliant in both conception and execution, and one could make a solid case that the last three minutes of A Bug's Life are its best. I wouldn't go that far, but this is definitely a movie when it's a good idea not to run for the exit as soon as the story ends.

Pixar is the studio that first brought a full-length computer-generated feature to the screen with 1995's Toy Story, and, by adding A Bug's Life to their resume, they have established themselves as a force to be reckoned with not only in the realm of animated films, but in that of family entertainment in general. (Disney must be delighted to be in partnership with them.) Co-directors John Lasseter and Andrew Stanton understand that every story, even one with such an intense focus on visual elements, begins with a script and characters. A Bug's Life, like Toy Story, develops protagonists we can root for, and places them in the midst of a fast-moving, energetic adventure. And, while Antz and A Bug's Life each work well enough on their own, they are best when seen in concert, if only to compare and contrast the fine craft evident in such top-notch examples of family entertainment.
  44. Dec 30, 2015
    After Toy Story and before Toy Story 2, we have this lovable movie. Well worth to see from the start and you'll decently love it and it's just another great masterpiece from Pixar even though not scored 10.
  45. Jan 4, 2016
    A Bug's Life had the misfortune of having to follow two tough acts. As the second effort from John Lasseter's Pixar outfit, it had to live in the shadow of the highly successful Toy Story, and as the second CGI insect fable to hit the screens in 1998, it inevitably offered up characters and scenes very like those you saw in Antz.

However Antz, produced by ex-Disney top man Jeffrey

However Antz, produced by ex-Disney top man Jeffrey Katzenberg's DreamWorks, aspired to a certain level of adult sophistication which is matched in A Bug's Life only in a wittily animated skit on those end credits sequences that include outtakes from the movie. As a proper Disney production, A Bug's Life instead goes all out for kid-friendliness with a lot of slapstick (including a literal gag where a stick insect gets slapped), a simple goodies versus baddies, underdog-comes-through storyline and a batch of appealing, comical characters.

As in Antz, the setting is an anthill where a foul-up misfit has a crush on the princess, but the plot here is more clear-cut, poaching the set-up from The Seven Samurai/Magnificent Seven as crossed with the fable of The Grasshopper And The Ant. An isolated ant colony strives all season to assemble an offering of food for a roving band of tyrannical grasshoppers under the leadership of the glowering Hopper (voiced by Spacey). Flik (Foley, a stalwart of ace Canadian comedy troupe Kids In The Hall), an ant dreamer whose inventions never quite work, sets out to save the day by recruiting a band of warrior insects from a nearby bug city. He gets his antennae crossed and hires instead a broken-down flea circus who have to save the day using their performance skills.

Adults might experience a certain degree of impatience with the highly-guessable storyline, which is disappointingly straightforward after the multi-level cleverness of Pixar's other efforts, but children will respond not only to the bug-level knockabout but to the broad-strokes, loveable characters: a fat caterpillar who yearns to transform into "a beautiful butterfly", a pair of chortling Hungarian pillbug acrobats (both voiced by Michael McShane), the gentle-hearted but fearsome looking rhino-nosed beetle (Brad Garrett), a male ladybug (Denis Leary) who resents being taken for a girl, and the cowardly rantings of David Hyde Pierce's stick insect.

If Flik isn't quite up to the Woody Allen character in Antz, Julia Louis-Dreyfus' neurotic, hyperactive ant princess is more interesting than Sharon Stone's take on the same part. A Bug's Life is not quite as all-round great as Toy Story, or Finding Nemo, or The Incredibles, but in offering a lot of charm and imagination, some scary moments (the vertical take-off 'hoppers), excellent animated action and plenty of comedy, it ensures that it's still light years ahead of most live-action comedy output. And it saves its one Randy Newman song for the end so you don't have the action hobbled by musical numbers the way traditional Disney 'toons have been in the last ten years. It's just a shame that, set against the rest of the Pixar output, it offers nothing new.

Though not as deep, philosophical or vocally star-studded as Antz, Pixar's insect nation is every bit as eye-popping, and kids who don't love it are very likely to become zealous members of some future Trenchcoat Mafia.
  46. Jan 6, 2016
    Forgive yourself for thinking you've seen A Bug's Life somewhere before. A computer-generated ant movie. An accident-prone hero who doesn't quite fit in. A rebellious princess in peril. An insect evil-doer with a comedy henchman. Sound familiar? DreamWorks' Antz unpeeled a similar micro-fable three months ago, having hustled its CG fairy-story through production to beat Pixar's ant-flickForgive yourself for thinking you've seen A Bug's Life somewhere before. A computer-generated ant movie. An accident-prone hero who doesn't quite fit in. A rebellious princess in peril. An insect evil-doer with a comedy henchman. Sound familiar? DreamWorks' Antz unpeeled a similar micro-fable three months ago, having hustled its CG fairy-story through production to beat Pixar's ant-flick into cinemas. Yet, despite the speedy turnaround, Antz was excellent. How does the latest project from the Toy Story team stand up against it?

Although the themes (individuality, redemption, loyalty) are undeniably similar, the two are very different in style and approach. Antz is more adult and clever, while A Bug's Life has a pre-teen cuteness and is pitched squarely at the family. Antzuses movie star voiceovers, A Bug's Life plunders the jabber of TV sitcom regulars. And while Antz is often spectacular and astonishing to gaze at, A Bug's Life is arguably more beautiful, full of gloriously translucent leaves, glistening exo-skeletons and iridescent butterfly wings. Building on the detail and complexity that was a hallmark of Toy Story, Pixar's flawless recreation of light and shadow, facial expressions and natural landscaping is a joy to behold.

The main strength of A Bug's Life is that Pixar has again created a miniature world which could never exist in a live-action movie. Admittedly, the story takes a while to gain momentum, but after the mandatory scene-setting and character introductions, A Bug's Life soon becomes a satisfying, very funny cartoon.

It has its inventive moments: Flik creates a telescope by using a rolled-up leaf, with a water droplet for the lens. It has its in-jokes ("It's a bug-eat-bug world, one of those Circle Of Life things"). It also has a rush of hugely effective insect gaggery: buzzing flies ordering a poo platter in a bar; a down-and-out bug on a street corner holding a sign that says: "Kid pulled my wings off".

Taking full advantage of (but rarely stretching) the digital technology, A Bug's Life finally hits speed when the imperfect hero discovers PT Flea's troupe of circus bugs - less a Magnificent Seven, more a Bugnificent Eight. David Hyde Pierce's stick insect (wants to be a clown, is always cast as a stick), Joe Ranft's bloated Bavarian caterpillar Heimlich and Denis Leary's male ladybird nab most of the screentime, while a rhino beetle, a butterfly, a spider, two woodlice (grunts courtesy of comic Mike McShane) and a praying mantis (voiced by Lost In Space's original Dr Smith, Jonathan Harris) round off the good guys. Kevin Spacey, meanwhile, provides the calculated menace behind the CG carapace of bad-guy Hopper.

A Bug's Life lacks the full crossover appeal of Toy Story, but it features some phenomenal moments. The sequence where the fragile ant colony is attacked by a bird is nothing less than sensational, while a simple rainstorm is transformed into a raging, destructive blitz of insect-crushing water bombs. Computer animation may now be less of a novelty, but Pixar's extraordinary fantasy (part Western, part gangster movie) still has the capacity to impress, blending visual and verbal slapstick with spectacular action and virtual stuntage.

So which is better - Antz or A Bug's Life? The answer isn't clear. Why not see them both? Antz has the edge where an adult audience is concerned (although kids may not get all the gags and political sideswipes), but as a family movie, A Bug's Life is a friendlier night out, hitting home on a multitude of levels for a range of age-groups. With something for everyone, Pixar's second feature is spirited, very funny and thoroughly charming. It starts slowly, and the characters can't quite shake their digital perfection, but with a rich tapestry of colours, energetic characterisation and magical attention to the tiniest details, A Bug's Life is a worthy successor to Toy Story.

A fun, often astonishing bug movie which is magnifciently rendered and beautifully scripted, and proves computer animation can appeal to all ages. Make sure you don't leave the cinema until you've watched the hilarious out-takes in the end credits.

The story, about an ant colony that frees itself from slavery to grasshoppers, is similar in some ways to the autumn's other big animated release, "Antz," but it's aimed at a broader audience and lacks the in-jokes.
  2. The story is amusing and the animation is first-rate, but there's less sparkling originality than in "Toy Story."
  3. Lasseter and Stanton and the rest of the animators and gagsmiths use the computer with staggering imaginative freedom.