7.3

1. Sep 29, 2011
    "A Christmas Carol" is a exhilarating Christmas movie that joyful remakes the original book into a marvelous interpretation.
  2. Nov 27, 2011
    I have heard the story of A Christmas Carol numerous times, but this adaption of the story is the greatest by far. It is darker than you would expect.
  3. Oct 26, 2010
    its way too dark and scary for kids, but to be fair, its not a bad movie. Jim Carrey and the other actors were decent and the visuals were good.
  4. Nov 12, 2010
    Excellent Animated retelling of the Dickens classic,The 3D Immerses you into the faithful recreation of Dickens's world,and travels you along at breakneck speed,a modern day Christmas Classic
  5. Jan 9, 2011
    It was good. The 3D was 10/10 but I was bored at times.
  6. CRL
    Aug 27, 2011
    This movie visually and script-wise is just a little too creepy to be a good adaptation of A Christmas Carol, although it does show some exceptional voice acting from Carey and Oldman.
  7. Dec 20, 2011
    The story is a christmas classic and it sports amazing visuals, but the visuals seem to overwhelm the movie so it can be a bit tiresome and overlong. 2/4 stars.
  8. Apr 19, 2012
    I can sum this up in one short phrase: "PG rated horror film." Let me make this clear, this is not a film for kids under 10, or really anyone that's easily frightened (or nauseated for that matter). I'm not saying it's a bad film, but this is not a film for small children. This adaption of the Christmas Carol captures and fleshes out the creepy parts of the tale, leaving the warm and fuzzy parts a little under cooked. The creepy take on this classic is unique, and enjoyable. It's the kind of film that can be enjoyed by a wider audience than if this story had been left to the generic fuzzy ending that so many films have adopted. The story sports more style than previous adaptions. More pizazz, more depth, and more scares. I won't lie, there were times when something startled me; this film is full of GOOD scares, not the silly excuse for jolts that are in so many kid's movies these days. Even though this movie is over two years old, and motion capture has gotten significantly better (Tintin, anyone?), the animation looks great. Everything is well detailed, and everything feels real. However, there's still some stiffness in the moving, and there's one dance scene where gravity and physics are defied so many times, there's no doubt that even kids (kids that can take the scares) will point them out. I mentioned earlier that this is like a PG rated horror film. I liked this unique aspect, but I thought you might like to know what's ahead of you: a pretty creepy scene where a talking corpse (in translucent ghost form) has a conversation with Scrooge, for one. The scene is surprisingly scary, and at one point, the corpse' jaw becomes disconnected when he screams. There's no gore, but it's pretty icky anyway. In addition to this, we see another corpse (it's played as a surprise for laughs), an old wrinkled head, a fat man who's skin blows off him like dust, and two vicious goblin creatures who are very reminiscent of Lord of the Rings. The score is appropriately Christmasy, but it's not outstanding. It does a good job of setting the mood of each scene, though, but I've heard much better Christmas scores. Jim Carrey does a hilarious job as Scrooge. He's grumpy and despicable, but because you recognize him as Carrey, you can't take him seriously. This isn't really a bad thing, but it might irritate die-hard Dickens fans. There's also one boring, tedious, and completely unnecessary chase scene, that makes little sense, which was most likely added for the benefit of any kids in the audience (who, as I've made a point of mentioning, are brave enough to take the scares). Also, the ending is incredibly corny (though we get the feeling that Carrey was overdoing it for his own entertainment), and little Timmy barely gets any mentioning. Overall, this is an entertaining flick and even though flawed, is a fun and creepy delight. I recommend this film to anyone who likes Jim Carrey, The Christmas Carol, motion capture, or the creeps. Expand
  9. Dec 14, 2011
    The thing that astounded me about this movie was how faithful it was to the original book. That was something I did not expect. But this is one of the most faithful adaptations yet made, it even keeps the Dickensian dialog intact instead of updating it for modern ears, which is something even highly regarded versions have done. In fact aside from a poorly conceived action sequence near the end of the film, it is almost a word for word recreation of the book. Visually the movie is stunning, Dicken's London has been brought to life in a way never before seen. It is dark, atmospheric and captivating. The characters themselves are works of art, all beautifully brought to life by some brilliant motion capture and voice acting.
    This is one of my very favorite versions of the story, a beautifully crafted and faithful movie. But parents be warned, Dickens' story was a ghost story, it was intended to scare. This is no Muppets Christmas Carol. It has some surprisingly dark and scary moments. Not a movie for the little ones.
  10. Jun 14, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In 3D version it looks very truthfully. Ebenezer Scrooge was egotist and after visit of ghost is very nice and friendly man. One of the best remakes of this book. Expand
  11. Dec 17, 2012
    Considering it's probably the most cinematically-adapted story in history, any new treatment of "A Christmas Carol" might easily be overlooked due to sheer exhaustion. By now, we've all got our favorite versions, and most of them really are pretty much the same. Still, Robert Zemeckis's high-flying rendition of Dickens' immortal tale is easily one to add to the list of seasonal viewings - it's colorful, it's wild, it's fun, it's heartfelt. There's several small things in this version - such as Scrooge walking in on the simile game at the end - that give it some strong marks in my book, and just the amount of fun Zemeckis has with the animation and story while still staying faithful gives it plenty of its own identity. Carrey's performance as the penny-pinching humbug is actually quite convincing, and is likely my second-favorite treatment of the character to date, and the design of the ghost of Christmas future is really cool and unique. It's just a lot of fun to watch, and a very solid treatment. What else can I say? God bless the Christmas Carols, every one. Collapse
  12. Nov 16, 2013
    A Christmas Carol is beautifully average.
    The movie simply adapts the book reluctantly. The main appeal is the beautiful animation that unfortunately feels very wooden. There many times the characters look at random objects instead of each other. If it wasn't based on a famous book it would be completely forgettable.
  13. Nov 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Very nice film. There is a lot of special effects, some humor, some dramatization, and mostly old words in the 1500's. However there is always the same thing, the plot and story goes the same thing. Scrooge asked the present ghost about the little boy about death. The future ghost haunts Scrooge, no words. The past reminds Scrooge about his poor life (etc.). But, overall the film is good and Disney really done it. Great job! Expand

1. Zemeckis' A Christmas Carol is, in its essence, a product reel, a showy, exuberant demonstration of the glories of motion capture, computer animation and 3D technology. On that level, it's a wow. On any emotional level, it's as cold as Marley's Ghost.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Shortchanging traditional animation by literalizing it while robbing actors of their full range of facial expressiveness, the performance-capture technique favored by director Robert Zemeckis looks more than ever like the emperor's new clothes in Disney's A Christmas Carol.
  3. Reviewed by: Ella Taylor
    A Christmas Carol is a whiz-bang 3-D thrill-ride with all the emotional satisfaction squeezed out of it.