6.6

1. ChadS.
    Dec 2, 2006
    What happened to Max? As a child(Freddy Highmore, his crying in "Finding Neverland" still paying dividends), "A Good Year" doesn't do enough to lay down the groundwork for the greedy individual we see in the form of Russell Crowe. Cheating in chess and throwing a temper tantrum after a lost tennis match doesn't quite do it. He's anything but a bad seed. "A Good Year" is What happened to Max? As a child(Freddy Highmore, his crying in "Finding Neverland" still paying dividends), "A Good Year" doesn't do enough to lay down the groundwork for the greedy individual we see in the form of Russell Crowe. Cheating in chess and throwing a temper tantrum after a lost tennis match doesn't quite do it. He's anything but a bad seed. "A Good Year" is missing that crucial scene in which we see the makings of a barracuda. Because "Under the Sideways Sun", laidback as it is, has the annoying mainstream agenda that the protagonist must be likable, Max Skinner is much too nice(more smarm instead of charm, please) for someone who cuts throats and takes no prisoners for a living His character arc is nearly non-existent since he's charming and debonair before his French awakening. Like real life, Crowe should berate, or punch someone out during the film's section when Max believes that "winning is not everything, it's the only thing." But still, "A Good Year" works. The vineyards are predictably picturesque; the woman of his dreams...stunning, and the supporting characters provide the requisite local color. It's like shooting fish in the barrel, and the director doesn't miss. At the end of "A Good Year", you want Max's life. Expand
  2. MaghanC.
    Jul 2, 2007
    F-y'all. My boy Russell is hot, and so is this movie. The soundtrack was incredible!
  3. DanielG.
    Nov 21, 2006
    The people who love and value the simple things of life will appreciate this film.
  4. MikeP.
    Nov 22, 2006
    Fantastic old Europe scenery, the characters beautiful, and the screenplay pathetic.
  5. Albert
    Nov 30, 2006
    A beautiful place + a beautiful girl aren't enough to make a decent movie. Absolutely forgettable.
  6. ColeO.
    Mar 28, 2007
    Bloody awful. Crowe utterly unconvincing. No chemistry among the cast, numerous plot gaffes, overdone direction, way overdone soundtrack.
  7. BethG.
    Jun 7, 2007
    Absolutely brilliant. Russell Crowe is incredible. The whole story is interesting, funny, romantic, and entertaining. I loved it.
  8. RastyR
    May 24, 2009
    Excellent movie with great characters. Maybe plot is some way predicable but anyway movie presents great entertainment.
  9. Dec 11, 2012
    Average romantic movie, the story is good but it's not enough, I could never find a good connection between the characters, no doubt that Crowe can perform on his movies and no doubt on Marion either, but on many parts of this movie you can get bored, and from my perspective there are many unnecessary scenes. Definitely forgettable.
  10. LindaL.
    May 28, 2007
    It's hard to believe Russell Crowe could be this bad. He's such a fantastic actor that I wanted to believe he could do OK in this change-of-pace role, but it's just not his cup of chardonnay. Something I haven't seen mentioned: The soundtrack here is horrible! It's incongruous, annoying, irrelevant; a smart, pleasant score might have helped (a little).
  11. EdwardL
    Oct 17, 2009
    This is one of my favorite romantic comedies.
  12. Aug 31, 2013
    Poor, Poor Film critic You can't realise when you see a little good film when you see it !
    This film is just one of the best Romance film i have seen !
    Thx a lot Mr Scott Thx a lot For all ure flims
  13. JonathanH
    Dec 25, 2006
    I saw this movie in Barcelona. The sound dropped out for ten minutes and while the audience waited ten minutes for the projectionist to notice I provided a monotone simultaneous translation of the Spanish subtitles into English. Definitely the highlight of the evening for those who had wasted money on this pathetic trash. Sometimes i wonder if making movies like this is part of some kind I saw this movie in Barcelona. The sound dropped out for ten minutes and while the audience waited ten minutes for the projectionist to notice I provided a monotone simultaneous translation of the Spanish subtitles into English. Definitely the highlight of the evening for those who had wasted money on this pathetic trash. Sometimes i wonder if making movies like this is part of some kind of tax evasion scheme. Expand
  14. NancyH.
    Nov 10, 2006
    Beautiful scenery, good supporting cast but no sympathy on the main character. Russell Crowe plays cad well but there is no leap to sympathetic romantic character--perhaps it was the script?
  15. KingC.
    Nov 13, 2006
    A total bomb for the great Mr. Crowe who will now eat some humble pie; that is, if he doesn't throw it at the director.
  16. StephenS.
    Nov 20, 2006
    A very well-rounded film. Possibly the best that I've seen this year.
  17. MimiB.
    Mar 17, 2007
    Much more enjoyable than the critics led me to believe, and Crowe was a pleasant surprise.
  18. AnneB.
    Apr 3, 2008
    I love this movie. I don't know why the critics didn't like it. If you have ever been to Provence this movie gives you a real taste of what it's like. Not to mention, it's a great story about how there is more to life than money. I really enjoyed it.
  19. Sidiot
    Nov 12, 2006
    Dull and boring = prosaic.
  20. DunceC.
    Nov 18, 2006
    I can't believe that Russell Crowe let this be released. Awful is not strong enough of a word. Avoid. I gave a one for the scenery that belongs on the National Geographic channel not in a feature film.
  21. Dec 30, 2011
    This is a good film, despite the fact that the story isn't very special. It's well played, and it must said: great locations! We get to know a fine part of France, - this beauty has been translated perfectly in the film. About the acting: it was ok, I think Marion Cottilard did the best job, Russell Crowe was ok. The music suited this picture, it was a beautiful puzzle. Enjoy this film,This is a good film, despite the fact that the story isn't very special. It's well played, and it must said: great locations! We get to know a fine part of France, - this beauty has been translated perfectly in the film. About the acting: it was ok, I think Marion Cottilard did the best job, Russell Crowe was ok. The music suited this picture, it was a beautiful puzzle. Enjoy this film, but not expect a great story. Expand
  22. Jul 28, 2014
    Russell Crowe u öküz rolünde oynatınca başarılı oluyor demek. :) Yönetmen koltuğunda Ridley Scott görünce de şaşırmamak elde değil ama bu tarz filmleri sevmememe rağmen oturup izlediğime göre türüne göre başarılı, çok bilindik hikaye herşey sıradan ama filmin ortamı çok güzel insanı etkisi altına alıyor.

1. Reviewed by: Dan Jolin
    The Merlot to "Sideways" Pinot, this is one of those middling movies that, while never terrible, also never really impresses.
  2. You sense in every frame the strain to be lighthearted. Consequently, A Good Year is at times downright clumsy. You know what the filmmakers are trying to achieve and see the labor going into the attempt, but for them to fall so short is unsettling.
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    A simple repast consisting of sometimes strained slapsticky comedy, a sweet romance and a life lesson learned, this little picnic doesn't amount to much but goes down easily enough.