Columbia Pictures | Release Date: May 11, 2001
6.8
Generally favorable reviews based on 127 Ratings
Watch Now
MadDadMar 22, 2013
Wonderful entertaiment, a clever, innovative genre-bending movie this is. Taking the viewers back in history when entertaimentst was executions, drinking and card/dice gaming as well as watching jousting tournaments and when the hot danceWonderful entertaiment, a clever, innovative genre-bending movie this is. Taking the viewers back in history when entertaimentst was executions, drinking and card/dice gaming as well as watching jousting tournaments and when the hot dance tunes were traveling minstrels and the big stars were Knights. So, many scenes start out with the Medieval crowd and music but then segue into the crowd chanting or dancing to modern music connecting the scenes to nowadays standard. The movie was meant to show young people today what the equivalent spectacle was to our own current times. This movie is light, funny, inspiring, educative, positive and probably not todays flavor anymore giving an impression of poetry and medieval gentilhommerie, of honor and respect. The story of a poor stable boy who dares to rise above his station maybe an old one but Heath Ledger is wonderful. And Paul Bettany as Geoffrey Chaucer steals the show. The dialogues are witty and sly, literate, moving and emotional. And the comradery of the gang of jousters is a joy to experience. I strongly advise you to watch this movie...and take your kids with you they can learn something! Expand
MovieLonely94Oct 29, 2010
not excellent, but perfect and very hilarious
MrCinnamonJun 12, 2011
This film was a fantastic example of originality. The story was a very ingenious take on the tale from Geoffrey Chaucer, and bringing him into the story was a grand gamble. The scenes of jousting are top notch cinemetography, and the scriptThis film was a fantastic example of originality. The story was a very ingenious take on the tale from Geoffrey Chaucer, and bringing him into the story was a grand gamble. The scenes of jousting are top notch cinemetography, and the script is witty. A great comedy, well worth watching. Expand
DaleH.Feb 13, 2007
I thought it was a very funny, different way of telling a story of medieval times with some modern attributes, the Nike signs was the best (product placement).
0 of 0 users found this helpful
SavvySep 1, 2010
This is such a clever, genre-bending movie. What's odd to me is that many folks didn't "get" the intention of the filmmakers. They take us back to the days when the BIG weekend sport was jousting and when the hot dance tunes were travelingThis is such a clever, genre-bending movie. What's odd to me is that many folks didn't "get" the intention of the filmmakers. They take us back to the days when the BIG weekend sport was jousting and when the hot dance tunes were traveling minstrels and the big sports stars were Knights. So, many scenes start out with the Medieval crowd and music but then segue into the crowd chanting or dancing to modern music. My take on this: it was meant to show young people what the equivalent spectacle was to our own current times. Actually, when you watch the movie with that key to understanding the soundtrack -- it is just great fun and inspirational.

The story of a poor stable boy who dares to rise above his station maybe an old one -- but Heath Ledger is wonderful. And Paul Bettany as Geoffrey Chaucer steals the show. The dialogue is witty and sly and literate. And the comradery of the gang of jousters is a joy to experience. This is one of my favorite "feel good" films.
LordOFlibertYJan 21, 2012
cool, comedic film I think this is by favourite Ledger movie with the exception of Dark Knight also I became of Bettany
spielbrick90Oct 23, 2011
I found the film very funny and I thought that the characters were believable, it was not that medieval when the crowd started chanting 'We Will Rock You' though. I thought Heath Ledger's portrayal of William was good and I thought that hisI found the film very funny and I thought that the characters were believable, it was not that medieval when the crowd started chanting 'We Will Rock You' though. I thought Heath Ledger's portrayal of William was good and I thought that his friends were hilarious. I did enjoy it. Expand
cameronmorewoodNov 18, 2012
A bouncy mix of farce and fury, A Knight's Tale delivers classic entertainment on multiple levels.
oblique15Mar 2, 2013
I loved it, You have to go in with an open mind. The movie does not take it self to serious, has music way ahead of it`s time. I find it to be a classic, cause I have watched it on TV several times after, never gets old.
Rox22Sep 29, 2013
A decent enough movie that does little new in its overall idea. However delivery and execution are what set this movie apart from the medieval knight movie that came before it.

The modernisation of medieval times was a new concept at the

The modernisation of medieval times was a new concept at the time this movie came out and portrayed medieval culture in a relatively realistic setting. I do imagine this movie shows people of the age in a more realistic light. Granted, it's still a parody, but one set with a realistic undertone.

Overall:
Regardless, A Knight's Tale is a highly enjoyable movie that is everything you would want and expect from a movie about knights. Adventure romance, comedy. Just a shame the whole idea behind it feels a little tired.
westbrook21Jun 29, 2013
Funny, feel good film that has a strong enough storyline and keeps the viewer engaged. Great acting from Heath Ledger finishes off a film well worth a watch
ThatCooperGuySep 12, 2015
Anachronisms aside, this is a wonderfully entertaining movie. Yes the classic rock songs can throw you off a bit, but you start smiling and you just go, "Meh, who really cares?" I think the best thing about this film is that it decided to beAnachronisms aside, this is a wonderfully entertaining movie. Yes the classic rock songs can throw you off a bit, but you start smiling and you just go, "Meh, who really cares?" I think the best thing about this film is that it decided to be an entertaining movie before being accurate to it's time period. If a film can be this accepting then it's clearly doing something right. The cinematography & set design are both good, the acting is well done(especially by the late but great Heath Ledger), and the stunt work is terrific. Even though it's out of place, I really do like this movie's soundtrack. It is strange to have classic rock everywhere, but at least Brian Helgeland chose GOOD songs to be in the movie. "A Knight's Tale" is just one of those movies you can't stay mad at. Expand