8.1

1. GazboB
    Apr 29, 2006
    I bloody well liked it, John and Scarlett and all the cast played their parts, Elliot Davis did magic with the camera.
  2. enricoc.
    Feb 2, 2005
    I watched this film 4 times in a recent visit to L.A. and it kept getting better each time I saw it. John Travolta & Scarlett Johansson put in bravura performances and the supporting cast, especially Gabriel Macht and Deborah Unger, were also very strong. The pace of the movie was quite good. In short, a beautiful film that deserves wider distribution - and soon.
  3. CarolynW.
    Oct 19, 2005
    Great actors, great script. Speaks to those of us from a "broken" home, and who the hell isn't these days. Quite intellectual and may be hard for some to understand, stick to romantic comedies if you can't respect the feel of this moving film.
  4. LindaD.
    Jul 25, 2005
    I couldn't get enough of this movie. Shades of 'Spitfire Grill' in the South. I'm not a Travolta fan, but his performance here moved me to tears. Scarlett Johansson gets better and better each time I see her. But the biggest, best, was Gabriel Macht, who manages to be a player and observer all at the same time. The story of guilt, love, affection, yes, even honor, are I couldn't get enough of this movie. Shades of 'Spitfire Grill' in the South. I'm not a Travolta fan, but his performance here moved me to tears. Scarlett Johansson gets better and better each time I see her. But the biggest, best, was Gabriel Macht, who manages to be a player and observer all at the same time. The story of guilt, love, affection, yes, even honor, are written in his face everytime he's on screen. Wonderful movie! Expand
  5. LaurenceC.
    Sep 23, 2006
    My wife and I just caught up with it on cable and we loved it. Scarlett was magnicient. Travolta was good and Macht was terrific. Also Debbie Unger.
  6. NickN
    Jul 19, 2008
    Brilliant adaptation of Ronald Everett Capps "Off Magazine Street." This may not be for everyone, but this is one of the films I can't resist each time I see it playing on TV.
  7. RoseN.
    Dec 12, 2009
    Being from the South, the accents are actually pretty close. This film has been in my collection since he came out on DVD. A lost film about real character, not larger than life outrageous story-lines. Scarlett Johannsen and Gabriel Macht give the best performances in the most. Scarlett as a tough yet still young, impressionable teenage girl who is well beyond her years. Macht as a broken Being from the South, the accents are actually pretty close. This film has been in my collection since he came out on DVD. A lost film about real character, not larger than life outrageous story-lines. Scarlett Johannsen and Gabriel Macht give the best performances in the most. Scarlett as a tough yet still young, impressionable teenage girl who is well beyond her years. Macht as a broken hopeless romantic who has some honor and a lot of guilt. The true beauty in this movie was the well-spoken real life conversation and the enchanting music. I give this movie a 10 because I have watched it at least 30 to 40 times and I fall in love with it all over again every time. Low-budget, but brilliant in its simplicity. Expand

1. Bobby Long can enchant you. It's a film that feels lived in, confident despite its conventions.
  2. Reviewed by: David Rooney
    A pedigree cast elevates old-fashioned material and lackluster screenwriting.
  3. Reviewed by: Ray Bennett
    Captivating drama delivers literary flair and Louisiana music and great roles for a grizzled John Travolta and lovely Scarlett Johansson.