6.5

1. MIkeG.
    Dec 7, 2005
    This is a movie that failed to mix the funny scenes and the serious scenes well. The funny scenes were certainly funny, and Nichollson's delivery is certainly dead on. But the supposedly poignant scenes are greatly blunted by the way this movie is paced. Is Payne making fun of these characters or does he want you to embrace them? It's unclear, and the result is a film that left This is a movie that failed to mix the funny scenes and the serious scenes well. The funny scenes were certainly funny, and Nichollson's delivery is certainly dead on. But the supposedly poignant scenes are greatly blunted by the way this movie is paced. Is Payne making fun of these characters or does he want you to embrace them? It's unclear, and the result is a film that left me feeling dissatisfied with the results, unconcerned about what would happen to any of the characters, and not invested in the performances. The movie also really doesn't have an ending for Schmidt - he's just kind of an afterthought that gets lost in the Davis/Mulroney storyline. Expand
  2. JulianR.
    Oct 30, 2003
    This is probably the worst film I have ever watched. Its too long, its crap, the acting's crap, the story has no meaning, and its crap. It too slow and I cannot see anyone enjoying it. I bought it because of the reviews and stuff and it was cheap it was 2 for a 10er but I really regret it. Whoever made it should get a life because it was appauling, he should give up his job cause hes This is probably the worst film I have ever watched. Its too long, its crap, the acting's crap, the story has no meaning, and its crap. It too slow and I cannot see anyone enjoying it. I bought it because of the reviews and stuff and it was cheap it was 2 for a 10er but I really regret it. Whoever made it should get a life because it was appauling, he should give up his job cause hes going no where. I cant see how this movie was commedy it was just a movie about some sad guy witha miserable life. I felt sorry for him, didnt think it was funny at all. yeah thats about it thats why i give it a 0. Expand
  3. JohnS.
    Jul 5, 2003
    A real sleeper definitely not a keeper.
  4. AlS.
    Jul 1, 2003
    I'm all for realism and I don't mind slow moving films, but this went no where. My wife fell asleep and I couldn't even finish the film.
  5. JeffB.
    Jun 15, 2003
    This is the movie that keeps you watching because you are sure it will become very interesting during the next scene. Trouble is it never does. Nicholson is once again the same character, with the same expressions, as always (with the exception of The Shining, only after he turns). Boring and barely watchable, don't become stuck waiting for the movie to turn into a great comment on This is the movie that keeps you watching because you are sure it will become very interesting during the next scene. Trouble is it never does. Nicholson is once again the same character, with the same expressions, as always (with the exception of The Shining, only after he turns). Boring and barely watchable, don't become stuck waiting for the movie to turn into a great comment on life - it doesn't. Expand
  6. DelroyT.
    May 20, 2003
    Possibly one of the most overrated movies I have ever seen. Painfully slow, boring and dreadful.
  7. HarleyD.
    Apr 17, 2003
    Possibly one of the most boring unflattering movies ever made. It depicts life in the midwest as dull, prosaic and not worth living. Having come from the midwest nothing could be further from the truth. This movie is a lie and absolute bore.
  8. StephenT.
    Apr 14, 2003
    After watching this simplistic boring movie, I believe that Elliot is in need of Anger Management. Without a doubt About Schmidt is a movie about nothing without any redeeming feature. Kathy Bates nude in a hot tub? I will have nightmares for a long time. Pleeeezzzze?
  9. Jackrabbit
    Apr 13, 2003
    Horrible horrible horrible.
  10. DavidK.
    Apr 11, 2003
    Elliot, phone home. You have watched moss grow on a rock one too many times. Without a doubt the most boring movie ever made. I would rather have bamboo shoots placed under my nails then watch that crap again.
  11. JanetaS.
    Apr 8, 2003
    This was the worst most boring movie I have ever seen. I want a refund.
  12. JackieS.
    Apr 7, 2003
    What the hell was About Schmidt about. Can you spell dull and boring?
  13. Aaron
    Apr 1, 2003
    If you like bathroom humor about Jack tinkling, or Kathy Bates walking into a hot tub bearing it all (a horrible sight), then About Schmidt is for you. Otherwise is it just a boring film about nothing.
  14. Wanda
    Mar 29, 2003
    Aboout Schmidt = Tedius boredom.
  15. LarryG.
    Mar 26, 2003
    I went to see About Schmidt because it would appear that the Metacritic reviewers either loved or hated it. Jack is fantastic but the subject matter is too slow moving and uninteresting. I had all that I could do to stay awake and watch. Just not my cup of tea.
  16. RayL.
    Mar 24, 2003
    After watching AS I think that Chinese Water Torture dripping on my head might be more fun? I would rather go to the dentist then be subjected to watching this tedious dull film again. Who writes this crap?
  17. Warren
    Mar 23, 2003
    Jack Nicholson is marvelous. As for the movie this was not entertainment in any way. Horribly dull. I had all that I could do to stay awake. Life in middle America cannot be this mundane?
  18. Apple
    Mar 22, 2003
    This is pure trailer trash without any redeeming characters. If this represents life in the midwest, I hope that I am never transferred there as I would seriously consider suicide. The only thing that could have saved this movie is if someone had called Dr. Kerovkian before this movie was released. Boooorrrrrring!
  19. LassiterP.
    Mar 22, 2003
    One of the most boring movies I have ever seen? It is similar to Seinfeld in that it is a flick about nothing, but at least Seinfeld was funny. About Schmidt is absolutely terrible.
  20. JaredH.
    Mar 20, 2003
    Absolutely dull boring movie that paints middle America in a very bad light. So Jack can act? It still doesn't make up for a trailer trash movie.
  21. GypsyL.
    Mar 17, 2003
    Adam, Jack might still have it, but the rest of this movie passed away while it was being made. Watching Jack pee and seeing Kathy Bates nude is more than I need to know. In one word...Booooring!
  22. JohnnaZ.
    Mar 11, 2003
    The answer to insomnia? About Schmidt. Absolutely lame.
  23. GrimReaper
    Mar 10, 2003
    One of the most boring films ever made. Way overrated. So Jack Nicholson can act, you think? We already know that. I'm sorry but watching Jack tinkle in the toilet is not my cup of tea and Kathy Bates nude, please! Don't waste your money.
  24. JamesL.
    Jan 15, 2003
    Until I saw "Adaptation," I thought this was the most overrated movie of the year. Nichelson's facial expressions were not enough to hide the blandness, boredom, and disappointment that he must have felt for being involved in this rv trip to nowhere. Tragic is correct in that it is tragic that the critics sell us on this movie!
  25. RandyG.
    Jan 13, 2003
    I cannot believe some of these rave reviews. Absolutely very slow uninteresting story. Yes Jack Nicholson can act, but is this a new revelation so as to make a movie entertaining? There aren't any redeeming qualities about this tedious boring film. Go if you must but you have been advised.
  26. JanetS.
    Jan 9, 2003
    So uninteresting, so boring, and so slow that I fell asleep in the theater. You have been warned.
  27. RobertH.
    Jan 7, 2003
    We all know that JN and KB are very likeable and can act. That does not make for an automatic great movie. DULL is the best word to describe this drek. Avoid at all costs.
  28. IggyZ.
    Jan 7, 2003
    If I never see or hear another professional opinion again that would be fine by me. Schmidt is a horribly overrated film that is so slow in developing that I actually had trouble keeping my eyes open. It is as boring as the character's life Nicholson portrays. Rent it if you must watch this garbage.
  29. LassisterP.
    Jan 7, 2003
    Kathy Bates nude is all I could take. I walked out at that point. This is dull boring movie about nothing that is so slooooow.
  30. FantasyL.
    Jan 7, 2003
    Let me preface my score by stating that I am big fan of both Jack Nicholson and Kathy Bates. They are among the elite actors of our generation! Having said that, "About Schmidt" is a pretentious, boring, tedious, slow developing saga of a midwestener who wakes up at age 67 and discovers that he has no purpose in life. Even the county scenery as he drives through middle America is flat and Let me preface my score by stating that I am big fan of both Jack Nicholson and Kathy Bates. They are among the elite actors of our generation! Having said that, "About Schmidt" is a pretentious, boring, tedious, slow developing saga of a midwestener who wakes up at age 67 and discovers that he has no purpose in life. Even the county scenery as he drives through middle America is flat and uninspiring. As a moviegoer, I go to the movies to be entertained. There is none here! Just a overrated film by the professional critics that is not worthy of your time or money. Expand
  31. RaggazzaC.
    Jan 6, 2003
    What a long, boring tedious film. Unattractive people in a totally uninteresting story. l always stay until the end....this time it was too painful.I walked out! Don't say i didn't warn you.
    Dec 26, 2002
    I am a big fan of Alexander Payne. Election, in my opinion, is one of the best movies I've seen. Nevertheless, I think Charles Taylor from Salon.com wrote an exemplary piece of movie criticism on this movie. I agree with every word he wrote and especially regarding the performance of Nicholson and the inability of many critics to notice how condescending and even hateful Payne is to I am a big fan of Alexander Payne. Election, in my opinion, is one of the best movies I've seen. Nevertheless, I think Charles Taylor from Salon.com wrote an exemplary piece of movie criticism on this movie. I agree with every word he wrote and especially regarding the performance of Nicholson and the inability of many critics to notice how condescending and even hateful Payne is to his characters in this movie. Expand
  33. NoahS.
    Dec 23, 2002
    Condescending and awful. the characters are all caricatures of "midwestern types" played for laughs to self-satisfied, superior, smug urban audiences. not one thing here is real and the entire experience, especially the audiences snarky laughter was just plain depressing.

1. A dark comedy that's as emotionally honest as any picture of 2002.
  2. Much more deserving of plaudits is the secondary cast--Hope Davis as Schmidt's resentful daughter, Dermot Mulroney as the waterbed salesman she's engaged to, and, above all, Kathy Bates in a hilarious turn as the latter's New Age mother.
    Starts out as a barbed, poignant little movie and turns into an excruciating slow-motion car wreck.