5.9

1. Jul 8, 2012
    This is a better film than the movie Priest. The action is big and the plot is smart for a movie in a genre like this. Its an impressive summer movie.
  2. Nov 23, 2014
    This movie is not nearly as stupid as you'd expect it to be. Its not a comedy film because I think a lot of people thought it was. This film follows a pretty accurate timeline that is essentially the same as the life of Abraham Lincoln, it just fills in all the unknowns with vampires. You really learn some things from this movie. This film may motivate some young people to learn more aboutThis movie is not nearly as stupid as you'd expect it to be. Its not a comedy film because I think a lot of people thought it was. This film follows a pretty accurate timeline that is essentially the same as the life of Abraham Lincoln, it just fills in all the unknowns with vampires. You really learn some things from this movie. This film may motivate some young people to learn more about Abraham Lincoln. There is no need to be upset about this if you are American. Expand
  3. Aug 26, 2012
    NOTE: I have not read the novel
    ABRAHAM LINCOLN: VAMPIRE HUNTER is a well-made, visually impressive and well acted adaptation that has both good 3D and impressive fight sequences, and surprisingly, a decent storyline.
  4. Jun 23, 2012
    The movie was pretty decent. Interesting story and cool action scenes combined with a period of history I enjoy learning about. There isn't a lot to complain about. Fun summer movie to watch.
  5. Jul 22, 2012
    Truly an amazing film in every respect. Meanwhile, I must say it was original and courageous choice to make a Lincoln Slayer. The story follows more or less the true life of the president in the midst of putting his secret life as a vampire hunter. The fun is guaranteed and there are never moments of boredom. The 3D is well done and the music can bring the viewer in action.
  6. Mar 10, 2013
    Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal... But they never said anything about vampires... Years before he set off to become one of our nation's greatest leaders, Abraham Lincoln stalked the night in search of the bloodthirsty vampire that took his mother'sFour score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal... But they never said anything about vampires... Years before he set off to become one of our nation's greatest leaders, Abraham Lincoln stalked the night in search of the bloodthirsty vampire that took his mother's life. After discovering the dark secret that connects the slave trade to the vampires' food source, Lincoln trades in his axe for a prominent position in politics, where his words serve as a far greater weapon against his undead adversaries. ABRAHAM LINCOLN: VAMPIRE HUNTER brings Seth Grahame-Smith's historic monster mash-up to the screen in a big way, with all of the overblown action sequences and wild special effects that make for fun, over-the-top summer blockbuster. While the deadpan humor may turn off many audience members that were expecting a parody or spoof, what makes it so oddly entertaining is that it isn't a comedy. It is played perfectly straight to the point of absurdity, earning big laughs along the way as Abe twirls his axe with deadly proficiency and carries himself like the Civil War's "Rambo." A finer actor couldn't have been chosen over Benjamin Walker, who puts in an excellent performance as the President. The vicious vampires are just as dark as the humor as well, although Rufus Sewell does not present a memorable villain as their leader, Adam. The main issue with the film lies in the aforementioned action sequences, which become far too grandiose for a period piece of this kind. What worked perfectly well in Timur Bekmambetov's earlier films, NIGHT WATCH and DAY WATCH, reduces the imagery on screen to an over-stylized sense of cartoon violence, where a subtler approach would have benefited the character greatly. Still, there is plenty to enjoy in the unwritten history of old Honest Abe.

-Carl Manes
    I Like Horror Movies
  7. Jul 7, 2012
    I must say I laughed on this one way more than on most comedy movies, if one asked me to describe its genre, it'd be a trash movie, like Robert Rodriguez's Machete. While the story is absurd and quite dull, the movie shines in its action scenes. Seriously, the horses scene is so ridiculous it's even fun. Never thought I'd see a horse being thrown at Abraham Lincoln, after which he justI must say I laughed on this one way more than on most comedy movies, if one asked me to describe its genre, it'd be a trash movie, like Robert Rodriguez's Machete. While the story is absurd and quite dull, the movie shines in its action scenes. Seriously, the horses scene is so ridiculous it's even fun. Never thought I'd see a horse being thrown at Abraham Lincoln, after which he just mounts it and continues chasing the vampire with an axe. It's a nice movie, just don't take it too seriously. Expand
  8. Jun 27, 2012
    Timur Bekmambetov (Director of "Wanted") brings us a side of Abraham Lincoln we never new about. . . . in slow motion, with an axe, who kills vampires. Does the plot sound stupid? Don't let it ruin the experience. As ridiculous as the plot may sound - "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter" is nothin' but a bloody, vampire killing, good time. The slow motion effects may be over used at times,Timur Bekmambetov (Director of "Wanted") brings us a side of Abraham Lincoln we never new about. . . . in slow motion, with an axe, who kills vampires. Does the plot sound stupid? Don't let it ruin the experience. As ridiculous as the plot may sound - "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter" is nothin' but a bloody, vampire killing, good time. The slow motion effects may be over used at times, but hey, it's still pretty damn entertaining to see Abraham Lincoln slice up vampires with an axe. I can now say he's my new favorite president. Expand
  9. May 31, 2013
    This is a surprisingly great film! I had doubts for this film, mainly because its Abraham Lincoln killing vampires, which actually sounds stupid, but I really enjoyed it. This may not have been the vampire movie we wanted, but it was a vampire film we needed! High props for this movie!
  10. Jul 28, 2014
    Kuzey Güney savaşından ve Abraham Lincoln'den vampir hikayesi çıkarmak kimin aklına gelmişse helal olsun , değişik ve oldukça başarılı bir yapım. Zor bir iş yapılmasına karşın filmde mantık hatası yok. Gözünüzü ayırmadan keyifle seyrediliyor.
  11. Nov 2, 2013
    First of, even though I'm a broken record on low scores, "this movie is, according to reviewers, worse than the Twilight Saga (write it up there in the corner and see the scores for yourself)", and that was a must say because both use vampires in their stories and both stories change some details for their vampires as well.
    With the exception that this movie is actually good: the story is
    With the exception that this movie is actually good: the story is basically a reenactment of Lincoln as a Vampire Hunter, which does kind sound silly and I will admit I went inside wanting to know how it would work out, as I love reenactment of movies in a different way. And this movie did not disappointment at ALL: it's a fun action movie, with an actually interesting character, a nice story well implemented inside the actual history, and a very good resolution at the end that just takes the cake. It was pure fun and, really, my biggest gripes were maybe some weird choices for the vampires: in here, they are weak ALSO to silver (isn't that werewolves?), have no explaining for the lack of weakness to the sun (but at least they don't "f----ing" sparkle!), and that they can't apparently kill each other; however you'll won't bother and you'll just want to go on with the action and that few story elements it has (which I personally liked, but it could have been better).

Very good movie, worth a watch if you love these kind of reenactment movies and just silly-but-fun ideas behind.
  12. Jun 25, 2012
    I can't believe critics are complaining that this movie conflicts with history. The movie is called 'Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter' what did you expect? Lmao. This is probably the second best new movie I've seen this year but that's not saying much... not much at all.
  13. Jun 22, 2012
    An amazing action flick composed of fictional history and vampire ass-kicking! Even though the film has its flaws, the over all win is the action. If you're yearning for amazing fight scenes, excellent set designs and a skilled president, this is your movie.
  14. Jul 8, 2012
    Interesting. Obviously the whole idea of Abraham Lincoln killing vampires is hilarious, but it was shockingly serious. Not comedic. However, this movie was VERY entertaining. Overall it's defiantly worth watching.
  15. Jul 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. i loved this movie it was a great thriller i was a little disappointed in the ending because it wasn't how it ended in the book but i still loved the end because it was super funny over all loved the movie and you should definitely go see it if you haven't yet Expand
  16. Jul 27, 2012
    I read the book before going to this, and I was VERY disappointed in how off they could be. Some of the characters that are in the book AREN'T even in the movie! And the most famous quote in the book isn't that sets the twist at the end. But if you went to this blind and not have reading the book then I could see you appreciating the action and the creative story. Some of the acting wasI read the book before going to this, and I was VERY disappointed in how off they could be. Some of the characters that are in the book AREN'T even in the movie! And the most famous quote in the book isn't that sets the twist at the end. But if you went to this blind and not have reading the book then I could see you appreciating the action and the creative story. Some of the acting was pale and emotionless, a somewhat confusing story, but had amazingly choreographed fight scenes. I enjoyed it, but I wouldn't go out of your way to see it. Expand
  17. Jul 4, 2012
    Loved it. FANTASTIC acting IMO and the story was incredible. It is nice to also have an actual vampire movie back on the screen. It was made out to be completely believable (if vampires really existed of course) and made good ol' Honest Abe out to be pretty bad ass. Great movie for any Sci-fi fan, bad movie for closed minded people with no imagination.
  18. Jan 12, 2013
    I was somewhat prepared to be disappointed by this movie due to its rather bizarre title and story but to my enjoyment I wasn
  19. Jun 28, 2012
    AL:VH was not the movie I thought it would be. Short of a few inconsistencies with vampire/vampire hunting abilities that were probably for the sake of the action scenes this movie was surprisingly serious and well executed. The story reminds me of older mythologies that were probably at one time based on real people and events that we enjoy while never for a second believing to be trueAL:VH was not the movie I thought it would be. Short of a few inconsistencies with vampire/vampire hunting abilities that were probably for the sake of the action scenes this movie was surprisingly serious and well executed. The story reminds me of older mythologies that were probably at one time based on real people and events that we enjoy while never for a second believing to be true (Beowulf, King Arthur, Hercules). I found it very enjoyable as such, a sort of Neo-Mythology. Expand
  20. Jun 16, 2013
    Pure, stupid, matrix-esque vampire ass kicking by our 16th President. If you go into this expecting an Oscar worthy film you're going to have a bad time. If you go in expecting a fun action film you won't be disappointed.
  21. Jan 27, 2014
    I didn't expect much when I got this movie and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by how good this movie really was. The main actors really brought their characters to life and I really came to love Lincoln, Henry, Will and Speed. While the acting for some of the supporting characters did lack at certain times it didn't ruin the experience for me at all. The fight sequences wereI didn't expect much when I got this movie and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by how good this movie really was. The main actors really brought their characters to life and I really came to love Lincoln, Henry, Will and Speed. While the acting for some of the supporting characters did lack at certain times it didn't ruin the experience for me at all. The fight sequences were amazing and really gave the fell that they were fighting stronger, faster supernatural vampires. The plot twists in the film really kept me on the edge of my seat waiting to see how it would play out. I would definitely recommend this film and you will get your moneys worth out of it as long as you remember that this is a film about Abraham Lincoln killing vampires. Expand
  22. Jun 26, 2012
    Perspective: I have never read the book or Wiki page for that matter

Expectations: The trailers introduced a wild concept that had enough outlandish action to warrant my attention Delivery: This movie doesn't waste much time getting to the point as characters are introduced, the atmosphere is set, as Abe answers the call to adventure and finishes his training within the first 30mins
    Perspective: I have never read the book or Wiki page for that matter

Delivery: This movie doesn't waste much time getting to the point as characters are introduced, the atmosphere is set, as Abe answers the call to adventure and finishes his training within the first 30mins before jumping directly into the thick of things. It has just enough romance (thankfully, not too much), and some brotherhood-ish moments to add some dramatic balance to the action, a few twists sprinkled in to spice things up a bit. its incredibly rewarding to watch Ole Honest Abe spinning, kicking, and chopping the crap outta the undead If you can except the outlandish concept of Abe Lincoln hunting and fighting vampires, and except the obvious propaganda and subliminal messaging that comes with any account of U.S. history, its a pretty ridiculous action movie that's probably a lot better than it should be.
  23. Jun 22, 2012
    Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter is a wickedly-fun, over-the-top vampire slashfest that requires total suspension of disbelief. Taken from the novel by author Seth Grahame-Smith (who also wrote the screenplay), Hunter is historical fiction on steroids, requiring total suspension of disbelief and a healthy appetite of the macabre to take it seriously. But once those barriers are removed,Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter is a wickedly-fun, over-the-top vampire slashfest that requires total suspension of disbelief. Taken from the novel by author Seth Grahame-Smith (who also wrote the screenplay), Hunter is historical fiction on steroids, requiring total suspension of disbelief and a healthy appetite of the macabre to take it seriously. But once those barriers are removed, Hunter is a wild ride, almost challenging its audience with such a ridiculous plot that no amount of sane historical inquiry can be applied. After witnessing the murder of his mother by his father's former slave boss Jack Barts (Csokas) when he was nine, the now-adult Abraham Lincoln (Walker) decides to exact revenge by first getting drunk at a bar. There, he meets the European-stylized Henry (Cooper), who attempts to discourage Lincoln from carrying out such folly. Soon, Lincoln has Barts dead on the ground, or so he thinks. Barts is really a vampire, and the human trafficking he conducts represents food for the growing vampire population in the South. Henry steps in to save Lincoln's life, but only with the promise that he join Henrys campaign to slay the escaped Barts and the other night crawlers. Soon, the former rail splitter is doing just that, but not before several funny and well-done sequences with Henry 'training' Lincoln with his fists. An unconventional man, Lincoln won't use standard weapons to kill blood-suckers, instead choosing one of a rail splitter to carry out his task. Covered in silver, Lincoln's axe becomes the anvil for his war against those who killed his mother. The work of a vampire hunter is a night job, and Lincoln must maintain a low profile by working as a store clerk for friend Joshua Speed (Johnson). There, Lincoln meets Mary Todd (Winstead), quite against the wishes of Henry, who demands 'no connection, no children' from his disciple. Courted by Senator Stephen Douglas (the uncredited Alan Tudyk), Smith interjects a bit of historical irony, as Douglas and Lincoln will eventually debate the issue of slavery throughout Illinois in 1858. As Lincoln wins Todd's hand and begins to ascend through the ranks of political society, his vampire body count begins to rise. This merits the attention of head vampire Adam (Sewell), who sends his assistant (supermodel Erin Wasson) to stop Lincoln. As the Civil War begins and moves quickly to the critical Battle of Gettysburg, Lincoln must decide if he'll continue to fight Adam, protect his family, or try to save the nation from a South littered with vampires and slaveholders.

Director Timur Bekmambetov (Wanted) bathes Vampire in slow-motion visuals (think vampires meet 300),Matrix-like stunts, and a horse chase that might become an instant classic. Unlike some green-screen directors whose actors appear stolid, uncomfortable, and perhaps incapable of imagining the action, Bekmambetov's subjects flow through each sequence, carrying out bloody acts of aggression in a way that looks and feels like gruesome ballet. Walker plays a terrific Lincoln, as does Cooper's playboy Henry. There's not one miscast here, with the beautiful Winstead offering nice visual breaks from all the carnage. The 3D transfer (whether it was post-produced or shot in 3D) is easily one of the best of the year, showing off a possible new trend of creating lifelike depth rather than the totally unsatisfying in-your-face style of Clash of the Titans. Composer Jackman (X-Men: First Class) leads the audience through a soundtrack that's dark, pulsing, and serves the overall feel of the story very well. There are some bumps and misfires along the way, but the overall effect and look of the picture is highly entertaining. There's a lot left out from the Vampire novel that would have been interesting to see played out on the big screen, including Lincoln's meeting with none other than Edgar Allan Poe, who also received star treatment this year in the under-appreciated but better The Raven. However, given the fact that shooting to world premiere took only one year, it's amazing the 105-minute film looks as good as it does: credit Producer Tim Burton with helping to pull that off. Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter is presidential author Doris Kearns-Goodwin's worst nightmare. World-renowned historians like her might not want to watch the film, based on the way it selectively uses historical facts to advance the story, not to accurately depict significant events as they unfolded. But baring that small population of history enthusiasts, Vampire will appeal to fans of the book as well as newcomers who should be impressed by how unafraid it is of its own bombast. It's purely fun to watch, the acting is solid, and the 3D transfer is actually better than Pixar's Brave. It should more than make up for its paltry $70 million budget and outperform its bloated Battleship and John Carter competitors with a style that's completely over the top and proud of it.
  24. Jul 1, 2012
    Didn't have high expectations (got dragged to it by a friend) but I really enjoyed the movie. Some gorgeous visuals, occasionally inventive use of 3D, and a fun overall concept. Above all I was not BORED, which is hard to say about most other movies. This is not a bad film, no matter what some people say. And I loathe fanboy crap.
  25. Mar 2, 2013
    Fantastic flic of a film. It doesn't always take itself seriously, and the fighting can be over the top, but this is a fun movie, with some very good poetic justice on the vamps, good drama scenes without becoming angsty, and is definitely worth 9 out of 10.
  26. Oct 18, 2013
    I figured the critic score for this movie would have bombed, but I wasn't expecting the user scores to be so lukewarm either.

I found this movie to be a great use of time. It has everything a person could want! Lincoln taking on vampires? What's not to love? I found it to be great. My disappointment is that I'm pretty sure it doesn't show anything about the end of Lincoln's life, which is alright I suppose, but it's just something they could have added and made it more awesome, like Lincoln going to a theater and seeing a sharp toothed Boothe.

I like how the movie has a "this could have happened" feel to it, barring the fact that vampires don't actually exist. I'd recommend watching it.
  27. Oct 30, 2012
    This movie was a lot better than I thought after I heard the title. The story is good and it's cool how they fit it in and made it work with history. I bought the 3d Bluray edition and if you have a 3d TV it's definitely worth it the 3d is very good In this movie! Anyone who likes fictional and historical type movies is sure to like this. Highly recommended!
  28. Oct 24, 2014
    A surprisingly good film. While some people may call it overrated this film really does blend history with fantasy in a clever way. I honestly was surprised at how good the action scenes are, plus it has some great music and special effects. One of my favourite vampire films!
  29. Jun 25, 2012
    When one attends a film about a former United States President slaying unholy creatures of the night, one does not expect a beautifully written, tear-jerking, dramatic masterpiece. One expects awesomeness, which Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter delivers.

It is, first and foremost, an action film so the quality of the action seems the logical starting place for this review. The fight

The fight scenes are glorious testaments to ingenuity, shining with the kind of creative violence normally presented by serial killers. Every single battle is perfectly choreographed so as to be visually impressive and, at the same time, believable and in keeping with Lincoln's go-to fighting style of "Desperate Brutality".
    Expect to see Mr. Lincoln kill many vampires with the closest sharp/heavy object or piece of scenery to hand. My personal favourite moment is when a panicked vampire, fleeing through a field, frantically picks up a passing horse and attempts to club Lincoln to death with it.

Which is not to diminish the non-violent aspects of the film. In a story featuring The Great Emancipator as the lead protagonist, the issue of slavery and the Civil War between the Union (anti-slavery) and the Confederacy (pro-slavery) were bound to rise up out of the setting and into the plot, something that AL:VH takes perfectly in it's stride and uses to bridge the gap from angry, young Lincoln who hates vampires to wise, experienced Lincoln who loves freedom, a progression that fits perfectly into the narrative.

Which is essentially the plot of the story. Like a video-game character, Lincoln goes from fighting one vampire to fighting a dozen of them to fighting an army (the confederacy being conveniently run by vampires) until, eventually, his crusade against vampires becomes a crusade against evil (specifically the evil of Racial Inequality) culminating, in true Action-Film mentality, with Abraham and his black BFF fighting vampires side by side atop a moving train.

Lincoln is portrayed by Benjamin Walker, a relative newcomer to the industry, but he excels in the role, performing a youthful and elderly Lincoln with the same degree of believability. He is backed up by his vampire-hunting posse of Dominic Cooper (The Devil's Double), Anthony Mackie (The Hurt Locker) and Jimmi Simpson (Breakout Kings), all of whom perform excellently.

To conclude, AL:VH has no illusions of grandeur. It's an action film, and a bloody good one.
  30. Jun 28, 2012
    I didn't read the book, so I went in expecting exactly what I got: a very fun, over the top cheese fest full of action!

If you are looking for some transcendentally deep emotional interaction, or a sweeping epic full of jaw dropping meaning, you're in the wrong place.

1. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Jun 25, 2012
    Bekmambetov directs with gusto, and the forthright absurdity of the story, combined with its weirdly heartfelt self-belief is winning.
  2. Reviewed by: Andrew O'Hehir
    Jun 25, 2012
    There's definitely some empty-calories, summer-movie fun to be found in this ludicrous genre mashup, most of it courtesy of maniacal Russian director Timur Bekmambetov, who stages hilarious, imaginative, almost free-form action sequences like nobody in the business.
  3. Reviewed by: Stephanie Zacharek
    Jun 25, 2012
    It doesn't take long for Bekmambetov to wear out his welcome with a laundry list of generic-looking action sequences: When you've seen one vampire get stabbed in the eyeball, you've seen 'em all.