5.9

1. Jul 4, 2012
    Loved it. FANTASTIC acting IMO and the story was incredible. It is nice to also have an actual vampire movie back on the screen. It was made out to be completely believable (if vampires really existed of course) and made good ol' Honest Abe out to be pretty bad ass. Great movie for any Sci-fi fan, bad movie for closed minded people with no imagination.
  2. Jul 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. i loved this movie it was a great thriller i was a little disappointed in the ending because it wasn't how it ended in the book but i still loved the end because it was super funny over all loved the movie and you should definitely go see it if you haven't yet Expand
  3. b3_
    Jul 14, 2012
    I am not a fan of vampire themed movies, but this movie had s..l..o...w motion so why not? I can give this movie a 6/10 only because I knew what I was going to get when entering the cinema. Reasonable action scenes and not much else. I was entertained throughout the movie, but it will soon take its place on my seen and forgotten list. I was not a fan of Dominic Cooper in this film as hisI am not a fan of vampire themed movies, but this movie had s..l..o...w motion so why not? I can give this movie a 6/10 only because I knew what I was going to get when entering the cinema. Reasonable action scenes and not much else. I was entertained throughout the movie, but it will soon take its place on my seen and forgotten list. I was not a fan of Dominic Cooper in this film as his character reminded me of a weak copy of R.Downey jr's characters. Expand
  4. Jul 22, 2012
    Just saw Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. I have lots of mixed feelings towards this movie so lets see if I can attempt to review it. First of all, one of the reasons I love film so much is because it allows us to see all of these absolutely crazy and impossible things. So President Lincoln as a kick-ass vampire slayer? Bring it on. I'm totally game for a ridiculous plot like that. ButJust saw Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. I have lots of mixed feelings towards this movie so lets see if I can attempt to review it. First of all, one of the reasons I love film so much is because it allows us to see all of these absolutely crazy and impossible things. So President Lincoln as a kick-ass vampire slayer? Bring it on. I'm totally game for a ridiculous plot like that. But there is a difference between a ridiculous plot and the way it is executed. I think playing this movie completely straight is smart but many times the movie seemed to buy into the cheese factor, mainly with the dialog. If the movie took itself way more seriously through out the entire movie then it would have been even better. It seemed to very carefully walk that line of full-fledged movie and totally corny Sci-Fi movie. Another thing that didn't help was the pacing. It was kinda all over the place.

As far as the action goes it was great... when ever there was action. I'm saying this movie is extremely light on action, I'm just saying that i was expecting way more than what we got. So those critics claiming wall to wall action? Don't read into that to much. But when we did get action it was great. The climatic train sequence was amazing and just watching The President of the United states wielding an axe like a total bad ass and slicing up vamps was a lot of fun. There was an action sequence with horses that ended up being much more cheesy than it looked in the trailer but other than that the action is really solid. And speaking of President Lincoln, Benjamin Walker was PERFECT as Abraham Lincoln. He completely sold Lincoln as a killer of vampires. The whole cast was great as well. Another thing I felt the movie did well was incorporating the actual history in the secret history of Honest Abe. I think they really did a good job of balancing out Lincoln's secret life as a Vamp Killer while also showing him actively pursue to become president. As the movie was coming to a close I thought, "Ok, this was pretty ridiculous but still admittedly awesome movie. Not the best of the Summer but not the worst" And then all of a sudden the movie ends in such a way that it completely changed my mindset on the movie. It took the ridiculousness of my "Ridiculously Awesome" description of the movie and completely blew it up. The little tag at the end of the movie just made this movie completely awesome and some how it made all of that cheesiness worth it. The ending made me totally buy into the cheese factor. Knowing now how it ends I am extremely anxious to go back and watch it to see if my complaints have disappeared. I would absolutely kill to see a sequel to this movie based on the way it ends.

All in all I enjoyed the movie and like I said earlier, It's not the best movie of the summer, nor is it the worst. I'd give it a solid C+. But I wonder if that score might go up over the next few days because I can't stop thinking about that ending and how it completely changed the way I viewed everything that came before. So if you got nothing better to do this weekend and if you've already seen Brave, then I'd suggest this movie to anyone who saw the trailer and was intrigued by what they saw. If you saw the trailer and didn't like it then I don't think the movie will change your mind.
  5. Aug 18, 2012
    This is one of the most underrated movies I have seen in quite a while. I expected an over-the-top zombie action flick with little substance, plot, or real artistic flourish. I experienced nearly the opposite. Early on, the casting felt spot on and the characterizations, while not the epitome of acting, were certainly far better and more nuanced than say, the recent episode of Batman.This is one of the most underrated movies I have seen in quite a while. I expected an over-the-top zombie action flick with little substance, plot, or real artistic flourish. I experienced nearly the opposite. Early on, the casting felt spot on and the characterizations, while not the epitome of acting, were certainly far better and more nuanced than say, the recent episode of Batman. From an early scene where we are catapulted into the fright of a zombie attack to a beautifully creative palette of a zombie chase atop a horde of horses I was drawn further into the period. In scenes reminiscent of the painting of that era and the landscapists of the time, the art direction was simply beautiful.

The metaphors of vampires, evil, and the civil war were all enjoyable on the screen and fairly well played. While I have heard that some considered this a fantasy aimed at lessoning the moral burden of the 'white man' in the role of slavery, it certainly didn't feel that way. Unfortunately, it does, however, portray Lincoln as someone seemingly more concerned with the fate of at least one close African-American who had been born free but chased for years.

All in all I am looking forward to seeing the movie a second time before it leaves theatres. Even my wife, who is typically not particularly fond of action movies enjoyed the movie enough to want to see it a second time.
  6. Oct 10, 2012
    You know this film does has its moments. But overall it is a really strange film that comes together too quickly with often ridiculous results. I won't go into detail when regarding the American civil war other than "lolwut?" The actions scenes are actually quite good but the measure of Abraham's strength versus a vampire is unbalanced to say the least.

It all ends with a somewhat 90s

It all ends with a somewhat 90s menagerie of explosions and last minute quips. Good for a Sunday afternoon but don't expect any depth in the films story or its characters.
  7. Jan 12, 2013
    I was somewhat prepared to be disappointed by this movie due to its rather bizarre title and story but to my enjoyment I wasn
  8. Nov 27, 2012
    I had very low expectations for this. The combination of Abraham Lincoln and vampires seemed too strange to work, however I think it was done very successfully. Although the movie was not exactly true to history, the story intertwined with vampire action was really enjoyable. It is not your ordinary action film however I would recommend watching this.
  9. Nov 5, 2012
    Abe Lincoln: Vampire Hunter is like Underworld, except it tries to have a plot and tell an actual story. Big mistake. Not what your target audience is looking for.
  10. Nov 8, 2012
    Vampires vs The President of United States? cool huh, Maybe this movie is a bit predictable because it has been the influence of most Vampire movies not only in United States but as well as foreign films. the movie goes exciting as it tackles the history plus it superb effects and as well of this full packed action that will never let you bored. In conclusion this is the father of vampireVampires vs The President of United States? cool huh, Maybe this movie is a bit predictable because it has been the influence of most Vampire movies not only in United States but as well as foreign films. the movie goes exciting as it tackles the history plus it superb effects and as well of this full packed action that will never let you bored. In conclusion this is the father of vampire films before the others! Expand
  11. Jun 1, 2013
    It`s worth watching, but it`s Abraham Lincoln playing a Vampire Hunter so it can only be so good. I give them points for being unique but I`m sure you know that before watching the movie. I`t was interesting but nothing that had me asking for a sequel.I must say it was interesting how they mixed the facts with all the Bizarre stuff.
  12. Mar 17, 2013
    Overall a very silly movie that really seems to have no real "flow" to it. Effects are decent, characters are charming and the action is gripping. Yet, the narrative is disjointed and all over the place. Clearly a real rookie for a director. Had this been given to a more experienced director, it would likely have at least been good, not excellent, but good.
  13. Jan 8, 2013
    TL;DR A good bad action movie that is hardly taking itself seriously, while featuring one of the most prominent characters in American history.

Abraham Lincoln stars as a normal man turned vampire slayer bent on revenge, until he discovers an even more insidious plot in America. The idea in itself would make perfectly fine sense in any other world but once you slap it in colonial America, its absurdly ridiculous. It doesn't help that the action is so overly nonsensical at times that you can't help but laugh at how silly it is. There is no amazing dialogue here, and the delivery is subpar, but there will be moments that make you smile and laugh. Overall, just some decent mindless fun.
  14. Jan 3, 2013
    Stupid. Dumb. Weird. But still a good laugh for comedy people. But I like mostly action. so there isnt much more to say then tat. So I guess you can watch it yourself.
  15. Sep 28, 2014
    A painfully stupid, abysmally ridiculous over the top action packed movie. Exactly what you would expect from a movie named 'Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter'. I am almost sure that the whole idea of the movie was to pack it with as much consecutive action and cheesiness as you can and make you cringe every now and then. Although occasional scenes seem serious and philosophical so you areA painfully stupid, abysmally ridiculous over the top action packed movie. Exactly what you would expect from a movie named 'Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter'. I am almost sure that the whole idea of the movie was to pack it with as much consecutive action and cheesiness as you can and make you cringe every now and then. Although occasional scenes seem serious and philosophical so you are basically left off wondering "what the hell? what did they make all those scenes for?". Also be sure to read and enjoy reviews of people doubting historical accuracy of the movie ^_^ Expand
  16. Mar 11, 2013
    As a fan of the book I was so excited to see this was being turned into a film. I was the first one in line opening day ready to see our greatest president of all time kick some vampire ass! Unfortunately this was the absolute worst film I have ever seen in theaters. TERRIBLE CGI I literally laughed during the scene were they were jumping on horses while fighting. I get it, some filmsAs a fan of the book I was so excited to see this was being turned into a film. I was the first one in line opening day ready to see our greatest president of all time kick some vampire ass! Unfortunately this was the absolute worst film I have ever seen in theaters. TERRIBLE CGI I literally laughed during the scene were they were jumping on horses while fighting. I get it, some films don't make logical sense, especially one feature a former US president killing vampires, but at least make it look good. Just Ugly! Expand
  17. May 31, 2013
    This is a surprisingly great film! I had doubts for this film, mainly because its Abraham Lincoln killing vampires, which actually sounds stupid, but I really enjoyed it. This may not have been the vampire movie we wanted, but it was a vampire film we needed! High props for this movie!
  18. Jun 16, 2013
    Pure, stupid, matrix-esque vampire ass kicking by our 16th President. If you go into this expecting an Oscar worthy film you're going to have a bad time. If you go in expecting a fun action film you won't be disappointed.
  19. Jul 29, 2013
    I love watching campy corn ball travesties but this movie was to abrasive to my soul. call me sad i had to take breaks to watch this. Maybe it was just me that day but it was cool but watch for ur self it was probably just me.
  20. Aug 11, 2013
    this movie was a fun twist to history with a interesting portrayal of the "bad guys" during the civil war. Fun action. Characters were poorly developed.
  21. Jan 27, 2014
    I didn't expect much when I got this movie and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by how good this movie really was. The main actors really brought their characters to life and I really came to love Lincoln, Henry, Will and Speed. While the acting for some of the supporting characters did lack at certain times it didn't ruin the experience for me at all. The fight sequences wereI didn't expect much when I got this movie and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by how good this movie really was. The main actors really brought their characters to life and I really came to love Lincoln, Henry, Will and Speed. While the acting for some of the supporting characters did lack at certain times it didn't ruin the experience for me at all. The fight sequences were amazing and really gave the fell that they were fighting stronger, faster supernatural vampires. The plot twists in the film really kept me on the edge of my seat waiting to see how it would play out. I would definitely recommend this film and you will get your moneys worth out of it as long as you remember that this is a film about Abraham Lincoln killing vampires. Expand
  22. Dec 12, 2013
    It's a preposterous idea for a film, skeptic that I was I only saw it because my friends persuaded me, but it was a good film, most of the people who think otherwise seem to be overly sensitive Americans. I could understand all the bad reviews if this film claimed to be documentary but it doesn't, in retrospect it's no more ridiculous than any other vampire film
  23. Jun 16, 2014
    This is an unpardonable insult for anyone who loves history and bears great respect towards Abraham Lincoln, one of the greatest presidents in U.S history, as regard to his personal life. In terms of art, this f***ing sh*t is just not getting any better, far from the point at which people would forgive and forget about. Laughably acting, bad dialogues, stupid - absolutely stupid andThis is an unpardonable insult for anyone who loves history and bears great respect towards Abraham Lincoln, one of the greatest presidents in U.S history, as regard to his personal life. In terms of art, this f***ing sh*t is just not getting any better, far from the point at which people would forgive and forget about. Laughably acting, bad dialogues, stupid - absolutely stupid and ridiculous - makeup are the top three outstanding features that I can figure out about this SH*T. 0 points Expand
  24. Jul 28, 2014
    Kuzey Güney savaşından ve Abraham Lincoln'den vampir hikayesi çıkarmak kimin aklına gelmişse helal olsun , değişik ve oldukça başarılı bir yapım. Zor bir iş yapılmasına karşın filmde mantık hatası yok. Gözünüzü ayırmadan keyifle seyrediliyor.
  25. Oct 31, 2014
    This is one of the best movies ever made
    It is the type of a good movie ,like a good book that can be watched over and over again
    Shows the true character of different individuals in society ,in a fictional way, by using vampire's
    A truly enlightening piece of Art

1. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Jun 25, 2012
    Bekmambetov directs with gusto, and the forthright absurdity of the story, combined with its weirdly heartfelt self-belief is winning.
  2. Reviewed by: Andrew O'Hehir
    Jun 25, 2012
    There's definitely some empty-calories, summer-movie fun to be found in this ludicrous genre mashup, most of it courtesy of maniacal Russian director Timur Bekmambetov, who stages hilarious, imaginative, almost free-form action sequences like nobody in the business.
  3. Reviewed by: Stephanie Zacharek
    Jun 25, 2012
    It doesn't take long for Bekmambetov to wear out his welcome with a laundry list of generic-looking action sequences: When you've seen one vampire get stabbed in the eyeball, you've seen 'em all.