5.9

1. Jun 27, 2012
    Don't get too seriously silly, don't you read the title? Lincoln seriously as vampire hunter, no kidding. I don't have any serious problem with it although suffer confuse script, uneven pacing and boo moment. Let me get this straight, watch this movie and enjoy America gothic with Russian craziness, Don't forget to google that fake story.
  2. Jun 27, 2012
    This movie knew exactly what it was: Abe Lincoln killing vampires. This movie far exceeded my expectations. It was over the top in an extremely funny way and the director knew it. This is not a great master piece of film but not every movie needs to be. I never once had my smile leave my face while I was watching this movie. It was up surd and hilarious.
  3. Jun 27, 2012
    The most captivating and enjoyable history lesson you'll ever get. Actually, surprisingly-accurate, given the outlandish premise. Great action, characters you find yourself interested in, and solid writing (for a Timur Bekmambetov film). I was a little unsure going in, but the film pleasantly surprised me with an atmospheric tone, tintype-style cinematography, and generous helpings of appropriate CGI. Expand
  4. Jun 26, 2012
    Perspective: I have never read the book or Wiki page for that matter

Expectations: The trailers introduced a wild concept that had enough outlandish action to warrant my attention

Delivery: This movie doesn't waste much time getting to the point as characters are introduced, the atmosphere is set, as Abe answers the call to adventure and finishes his training within the first 30mins
    before jumping directly into the thick of things. It has just enough romance (thankfully, not too much), and some brotherhood-ish moments to add some dramatic balance to the action, a few twists sprinkled in to spice things up a bit. its incredibly rewarding to watch Ole Honest Abe spinning, kicking, and chopping the crap outta the undead If you can except the outlandish concept of Abe Lincoln hunting and fighting vampires, and except the obvious propaganda and subliminal messaging that comes with any account of U.S. history, its a pretty ridiculous action movie that's probably a lot better than it should be. Expand
  5. Jun 26, 2012
    I enjoyed it, if you can get over the crazy idea that Abe Lincoln hunted vampires. There are some standout great scenes in it, the train scene, the horse chase scene. It's full of action, the bad guys have some good dialogue and it's genuinely sad at one point. Abe really makes you root for the good guys. 7.5 outta 10. I say go see it.
  6. Jun 25, 2012
    While is does fall from the book on almost everything except characters and idea it was a great action movie. I was hoping that it would be the same as the book, but was still very pleased with this movie. I think people were just turned off by the whole idea of it. As a fan of action movies and alternative history I highly recommend the book and the movie a little less.
  7. Jun 25, 2012
    When one attends a film about a former United States President slaying unholy creatures of the night, one does not expect a beautifully written, tear-jerking, dramatic masterpiece. One expects awesomeness, which Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter delivers.

It is, first and foremost, an action film so the quality of the action seems the logical starting place for this review.
    The fight
    scenes are glorious testaments to ingenuity, shining with the kind of creative violence normally presented by serial killers. Every single battle is perfectly choreographed so as to be visually impressive and, at the same time, believable and in keeping with Lincoln's go-to fighting style of "Desperate Brutality".
    Expect to see Mr. Lincoln kill many vampires with the closest sharp/heavy object or piece of scenery to hand. My personal favourite moment is when a panicked vampire, fleeing through a field, frantically picks up a passing horse and attempts to club Lincoln to death with it.

Which is not to diminish the non-violent aspects of the film. In a story featuring The Great Emancipator as the lead protagonist, the issue of slavery and the Civil War between the Union (anti-slavery) and the Confederacy (pro-slavery) were bound to rise up out of the setting and into the plot, something that AL:VH takes perfectly in it's stride and uses to bridge the gap from angry, young Lincoln who hates vampires to wise, experienced Lincoln who loves freedom, a progression that fits perfectly into the narrative.

Which is essentially the plot of the story. Like a video-game character, Lincoln goes from fighting one vampire to fighting a dozen of them to fighting an army (the confederacy being conveniently run by vampires) until, eventually, his crusade against vampires becomes a crusade against evil (specifically the evil of Racial Inequality) culminating, in true Action-Film mentality, with Abraham and his black BFF fighting vampires side by side atop a moving train.

Lincoln is portrayed by Benjamin Walker, a relative newcomer to the industry, but he excels in the role, performing a youthful and elderly Lincoln with the same degree of believability. He is backed up by his vampire-hunting posse of Dominic Cooper (The Devil's Double), Anthony Mackie (The Hurt Locker) and Jimmi Simpson (Breakout Kings), all of whom perform excellently.

To conclude, AL:VH has no illusions of grandeur. It's an action film, and a bloody good one.
  8. Jun 25, 2012
    I can't believe critics are complaining that this movie conflicts with history. The movie is called 'Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter' what did you expect? Lmao. This is probably the second best new movie I've seen this year but that's not saying much... not much at all.
  9. Jun 24, 2012
    Apparently Abe Lincoln and Buffy have more things in common that we thought, a reminder that vampires, much like their mythical relative, zombies, can be shoehorned into pretty much anything. Such a strange concept this was, it's bound to be silly to match a president with blood-sucking half albinos, yet there's an appeal to the axe wielding kills, a true artistic butchery prowess that I have yet to enjoy much on cinema. Yes, the justified axe murdering is the star in this confusing horror sometimes comedy flick.

The plot depicts Abe's life from his traumatic childhood to his awkward part time job as a vampire hunter. It's rather predictable, with a woman falls madly in love with a young drifter, and the hunter is torn between his double life and his love. There's daunting secrets, conspiracy and such, but they are pretty flat. You're here to see people get slaughtered with axe, and Abe (Benjamin Walker), a tall hulking vengeful man, delivers just so. He has that idealist and innocent look, which works quite well on building a hero more than a president.

However the movie stands flimsily at the border on heavy subject, slavery, and ridiculousness, narcissistic vampires, who while thankfully do not sparkle, but strangely are resistant to sunlight. There's unnecessary corny over-the-top background for these blood sucking pseudo monsters, they are not as secretive as they should be as an organization whose agenda is creating utopia for their kind. Pretty much every vampire who's confronted will hiss in an exaggerated scary face, I really doubt they can survive that far if they're that flashy.

The action is definitely good, some of the creative ways to dispatch vampires are joyful to watch. It takes heavily on post-300 slow mo critical shots, which is good since the motion is quite smooth. Its worst flaw is it tries too hard on taking serious issues in lighter tone, thus creating an unbalanced story which is a tad too dark to be humorous and too silly to be thoughtful. If everything else fails, rest assure that between the uninteresting bits, there'll be decapitated vampires. 6/10
  10. Jun 24, 2012
    Filled with action giving a amazing time in theater, but it has it's weaknesses, There are problems with acting and the myth behind vampires is mast up in it. Al the negative parts can and will be forgotten by the amazing set designed and fight scenes. Overall its an okay movie.
  11. Jun 24, 2012
    The director couldn't be bothered setting up his characters' emotional responses. He decided it was better to convey the characters' emotions by simply bludgeon you over the head with the dialogue. This movie was just awful.
  12. Jun 24, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This could have been a good movie. This is all action scenes, it skips over what would have been story accompanied by lots of epic orchestra music. 5 seconds of fighting skips its the future with 5 seconds of fighting and so on trough the entire movie. The formula stays the same and it gets boring quickly. What little shreds of story there are get minced into meaninglessness. This reminds me of captain america, the way it is filmed and it's insincere scene-chopping is much the same.

Stupid kids should love this, but anyone with taste stay away.
  13. Jun 24, 2012
    Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter was a fantastic film when I went to the cinema last to see it last night. The plot in my opinion was fine, revenge and kill vampires. What more do you need? Benjamin Walker did a brilliant job of portraying a young and mid-aged Lincoln who is a bad ass. This made me feel Lincoln as a president the best of all time.
    I felt emotional in some scenes which was
    a good feeling. This film has a good action scenes and nice shock moments, the ones where you don't know when a vampire will show up.

This movie was a great movie, loved every minute of it including my friend. Forget the critics as we should call them, go see this movie and respect good ol' Lincoln.
  14. Jun 24, 2012
    Believe me, it's crap. The biggest mistake the film made: playing a 'ridiculous' premise completely straight. What a big disappointment. The premise is interesting but the whole thing lacks energy and believe it or not, has similar 'plot points to another 'vampire themed' film last year, 'Priest' albeit in a much different setting. If you really want to watch an Abraham Lincoln film, wait for Spielberg's effort next year. Expand
  15. Jun 23, 2012
    The movie was pretty decent. Interesting story and cool action scenes combined with a period of history I enjoy learning about. There isn't a lot to complain about. Fun summer movie to watch.
  16. Jun 23, 2012
    This is a very strange film, I'll start by saying I knew nothing about it before I went and was honestly expecting it to be some horror/comedy/action crossover. It jumps about far too much and doesn't seem to know what type of film it wants to be which makes for a confusing experience. On the plus side the action scenes are unbelievable (I'm not going to spoil anything but the horse chase is something else!), the cinematography looks beautiful and the actors all play their parts very well. It's certainly not a badly made film, but the plot really needed a bit more focus. I did have a laugh watching this film although whether that's the intention of the creators I'm not sure. Expand
  17. Jun 22, 2012
    Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter is a wickedly-fun, over-the-top vampire slashfest that requires total suspension of disbelief. Taken from the novel by author Seth Grahame-Smith (who also wrote the screenplay), Hunter is historical fiction on steroids, requiring total suspension of disbelief and a healthy appetite of the macabre to take it seriously. But once those barriers are removed, Hunter is a wild ride, almost challenging its audience with such a ridiculous plot that no amount of sane historical inquiry can be applied. After witnessing the murder of his mother by his father's former slave boss Jack Barts (Csokas) when he was nine, the now-adult Abraham Lincoln (Walker) decides to exact revenge by first getting drunk at a bar. There, he meets the European-stylized Henry (Cooper), who attempts to discourage Lincoln from carrying out such folly. Soon, Lincoln has Barts dead on the ground, or so he thinks. Barts is really a vampire, and the human trafficking he conducts represents food for the growing vampire population in the South. Henry steps in to save Lincoln's life, but only with the promise that he join Henrys campaign to slay the escaped Barts and the other night crawlers. Soon, the former rail splitter is doing just that, but not before several funny and well-done sequences with Henry 'training' Lincoln with his fists. An unconventional man, Lincoln won't use standard weapons to kill blood-suckers, instead choosing one of a rail splitter to carry out his task. Covered in silver, Lincoln's axe becomes the anvil for his war against those who killed his mother. The work of a vampire hunter is a night job, and Lincoln must maintain a low profile by working as a store clerk for friend Joshua Speed (Johnson). There, Lincoln meets Mary Todd (Winstead), quite against the wishes of Henry, who demands 'no connection, no children' from his disciple. Courted by Senator Stephen Douglas (the uncredited Alan Tudyk), Smith interjects a bit of historical irony, as Douglas and Lincoln will eventually debate the issue of slavery throughout Illinois in 1858. As Lincoln wins Todd's hand and begins to ascend through the ranks of political society, his vampire body count begins to rise. This merits the attention of head vampire Adam (Sewell), who sends his assistant (supermodel Erin Wasson) to stop Lincoln. As the Civil War begins and moves quickly to the critical Battle of Gettysburg, Lincoln must decide if he'll continue to fight Adam, protect his family, or try to save the nation from a South littered with vampires and slaveholders.

Director Timur Bekmambetov (Wanted) bathes Vampire in slow-motion visuals (think vampires meet 300),Matrix-like stunts, and a horse chase that might become an instant classic. Unlike some green-screen directors whose actors appear stolid, uncomfortable, and perhaps incapable of imagining the action, Bekmambetov's subjects flow through each sequence, carrying out bloody acts of aggression in a way that looks and feels like gruesome ballet. Walker plays a terrific Lincoln, as does Cooper's playboy Henry. There's not one miscast here, with the beautiful Winstead offering nice visual breaks from all the carnage. The 3D transfer (whether it was post-produced or shot in 3D) is easily one of the best of the year, showing off a possible new trend of creating lifelike depth rather than the totally unsatisfying in-your-face style of Clash of the Titans. Composer Jackman (X-Men: First Class) leads the audience through a soundtrack that's dark, pulsing, and serves the overall feel of the story very well. There are some bumps and misfires along the way, but the overall effect and look of the picture is highly entertaining. There's a lot left out from the Vampire novel that would have been interesting to see played out on the big screen, including Lincoln's meeting with none other than Edgar Allan Poe, who also received star treatment this year in the under-appreciated but better The Raven. However, given the fact that shooting to world premiere took only one year, it's amazing the 105-minute film looks as good as it does: credit Producer Tim Burton with helping to pull that off. Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter is presidential author Doris Kearns-Goodwin's worst nightmare. World-renowned historians like her might not want to watch the film, based on the way it selectively uses historical facts to advance the story, not to accurately depict significant events as they unfolded. But baring that small population of history enthusiasts, Vampire will appeal to fans of the book as well as newcomers who should be impressed by how unafraid it is of its own bombast. It's purely fun to watch, the acting is solid, and the 3D transfer is actually better than Pixar's Brave. It should more than make up for its paltry $70 million budget and outperform its bloated Battleship and John Carter competitors with a style that's completely over the top and proud of it.
  18. Jun 22, 2012
    Jumped around from part to part way too fast and the plot in the movie deviated from the book wayy too much. Even with these flaws there were parts that I found funny and exciting but i think with a better director and if the plot was more in line with the book it could have been a great movie
  19. Jun 22, 2012
    Don't expect too much from this film, it's just what the title suggests, Abe Lincoln killing vampires... with his silver ax. It delivers on that very well, abandoning all inhibitions or historical accuracy. During the film, I really found it better to leave all knowledge of the Civil War or Lincoln himself at the door and simply enjoy the fun, surprisingly well staged action movie that I was presented with. All subjects covered are grossly inaccurate but aren't quite caricatures, which is what I was afraid of. The action is fantastic, owing many shots and sequences to films like the Matrix but are kept fairly original.Benjamin Walker and his co-star Dominic Cooper give adequate to good performances for their admittedly shallow roles. Anthony Mackie, Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Jimmi Simpson all do what supporting actors should do, augment the plot and roles of the main characters, and Rufus Sewell plays a fun villain. Don't see this movie for scares; if you're looking for a dark, serious tale this really isn't it. It's more what Diehard or even The Patriot would have been like with Vampires, good (if slightly trite) action, shallow plot, great sets and atmosphere. I liked it, despite my love of historical accuracy and long shots. If you're looking for some surprisingly different fun at the cinema, you will too. Happy hunting. ^_^ Expand
  20. Jun 22, 2012
    Ok to start with I thought this movie might be alright or a least a bit of fun but straight the way vampires in the sun along with Twilight will people never learn to mess with vampire mythology its just stupid . If that was not bad enough the story was poor the acting bad and the action scenes just did not work I would keep well away from this one if your a film or vamp fan my first zero score very bad. Expand
  21. Jun 22, 2012
    An amazing action flick composed of fictional history and vampire ass-kicking! Even though the film has its flaws, the over all win is the action. If you're yearning for amazing fight scenes, excellent set designs and a skilled president, this is your movie.

1. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Jun 25, 2012
    Bekmambetov directs with gusto, and the forthright absurdity of the story, combined with its weirdly heartfelt self-belief is winning.
  2. Reviewed by: Andrew O'Hehir
    Jun 25, 2012
    There's definitely some empty-calories, summer-movie fun to be found in this ludicrous genre mashup, most of it courtesy of maniacal Russian director Timur Bekmambetov, who stages hilarious, imaginative, almost free-form action sequences like nobody in the business.
  3. Reviewed by: Stephanie Zacharek
    Jun 25, 2012
    It doesn't take long for Bekmambetov to wear out his welcome with a laundry list of generic-looking action sequences: When you've seen one vampire get stabbed in the eyeball, you've seen 'em all.