Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation | Release Date: November 26, 1997
5.7
Mixed or average reviews based on 229 Ratings
WATCH NOW
JammyGuyStudiosFeb 16, 2013
This movie is hugely over rated. A huge disappointment to fans like me. A just can't really think of many redeeming features about this film! Most of the characters are all stereotypes and this movie has one of the most distasteful attemptsThis movie is hugely over rated. A huge disappointment to fans like me. A just can't really think of many redeeming features about this film! Most of the characters are all stereotypes and this movie has one of the most distasteful attempts at humor ever in it: "I say we ditch the cripple" If you haven't guessed by that then most of the dialogue is pretty awful. At least the acting was decent. Expand
savagejoe444May 25, 2013
Ever since Alien 3, I was hoping for an Alien film that would be better than 3. Instead, I got an Alien film that betrays the entire franchise. I prefer watching Alien 3 over this garbage!
potatoes351Jan 16, 2013
Alien Resurrection is abysmal. The 3rd Alien film ended with Ripley making the greatest sacrifice to ensure that the Xenomorph's could no longer be of threat to the human race. Now a good 200 or so years later a Ripley clone has been createdAlien Resurrection is abysmal. The 3rd Alien film ended with Ripley making the greatest sacrifice to ensure that the Xenomorph's could no longer be of threat to the human race. Now a good 200 or so years later a Ripley clone has been created by the Weyland corporation from skin tissue found at the scene of her death. They breed a queen Xeno inside her and all hell breaks loose. This film was not needed and the CGI isn't very good, the acting is comical and poor even by Weaver in the lead role and is a film that should be avoided, even by Alien fans. Expand
WeetBixkidJun 4, 2013
If you are a fan of the first 3 movies then you will most likely want to avoid this pile of trash. Even as a popcorn movie it fails to impress as it is a uninteresting gore fest which insults its predecessors.
MCFCdanielOct 13, 2014
An abomination of a movie, for me it's on a par with the AvP drivel that followed it. I watched it when it first came out and as a 13 years old who had grown up with Alien and Aliens especially, I instantly recognized how terrible this movieAn abomination of a movie, for me it's on a par with the AvP drivel that followed it. I watched it when it first came out and as a 13 years old who had grown up with Alien and Aliens especially, I instantly recognized how terrible this movie is in every single aspect in regards to the franchise as a whole, it captured nothing of the atmosphere from it's predecessors, some poor casting selections, some really shoddy acting even from Sigouney. The most infuriating part for me was the captain with the hairy shoulders getting smashed in the back of the head by the aliens retractable jaw, then with a constipated look on his face proceeds to pull out a piece of his brain, stare at it for a moment before crumple to the ground, it was totally ridiculous. Granted it had some tidy special effect work going for it but not even that can redeem it in any way in my eyes, I saw it as the biggest betrayal to the franchise, bland and uninspiring, it missed the point that made it's predecessors good in my eyes and when I say predecessors I also count Alien 3 the DC edition because that was actually a great watch. I own the quadrilogy on blu ray and this is the one disc that has no signs of use, because it hasn't been used and never will, I find it offensive and would never waste my time watching it again, I prefer to pretend it doesn't exist from now on. Expand
ERG1008Aug 23, 2010
Ripley cloned, Aliens being bred, hired mercenaries get involved, Aliens break loose, you know the rest....
The final part of the Alien Quadrilogy & it is a bit of a damp squib. Appalling dialogue, especially from Ripley with some truly dreadful acting by Sigourney Weaver to match.
The Aliens have evolved into a cross breed of a bull and a Velociraptor but, as in the 3rd film, just don't seem as scary. Much more graphic than the other films too but less on the suspense.
It's a shame they ended the franchise (although a prequel to Alien is being discussed) with this awful film after all the good work from the other three.
RayW.Mar 4, 2007
Stupid and gross. Not worth the time.
BillS.Aug 5, 2004
The two points I give this film are for a moderate attempt by the actors involved to lend some credibility to a lukewarm storyline and wholly worthless directing... But why Dan Hedaya is even in this film is a mystery. His performance lends The two points I give this film are for a moderate attempt by the actors involved to lend some credibility to a lukewarm storyline and wholly worthless directing... But why Dan Hedaya is even in this film is a mystery. His performance lends an unwelcome and 'alien' comic tone to something that ought to have been tense, suspenseful and dark. The plot is contrived, so painfully that you empathize with the twisted Ripley clones, which almost seem to characterize the overpresence of Sigourney Weaver in this film - and indeed, the series itself. Like an unwelcome guest, Weaver returns from a dramatic death (one of the few elements that lent the tepid Alien3 some emotional weight) and becomes the covergirl for convenient plot devices to bring back dead characters. Brad Dourif upstages the aliens themselves with his overblown mad scientist schtick, although Ron Perlman always brings heavy credibility to his toughguy bruiser roles. The real tragedy here is the inconsistency of the parts. The pacing is all over the place, casting spotty at best, variable tone, poor script and a climax that takes whatever wind out of the film's sails (and sales) with a laughable and just plain stupid alien mutation creature that simply stumbles about. Absolutely the weakest of the four ALIEN films - that is, until we're treated to the incredibly-rushed, even-more-contrived ALIEN VS. PREDATOR in a few days... Expand
AlexR.May 20, 2007
Alien & Aliens were outright classics. Alien 3 was pretty average. This is just plain bad... Which is a shame, because the first half hour is ace, as is the films highlight scene of the aliens underwater / ladder battle.
AaronA.Mar 24, 2005
How the hell did this score higher than AvP? if any film drags up old stories and money mad wrenched up scenes its this one. Aliens 1,2 and 3 all had something new and great about them but this film brings you a slow, none scary, overly gory How the hell did this score higher than AvP? if any film drags up old stories and money mad wrenched up scenes its this one. Aliens 1,2 and 3 all had something new and great about them but this film brings you a slow, none scary, overly gory piece of crap with the most anoying monster ever created - the newborn. Expand
0 of 2 users found this helpful
j30Jan 30, 2012
Alien: Resurrection looks like something Joel Schumacher would make with all the style and and no soul. The more Alien movies they make, the worse they get.
Midge115Aug 14, 2012
Alien: Resurrection pales in comparison to its three predecessors. Albeit, I missed the first thirty minutes of the film, but the rest was basically what came out of me during those thirty minutes. The writer tried to reinvent the alienAlien: Resurrection pales in comparison to its three predecessors. Albeit, I missed the first thirty minutes of the film, but the rest was basically what came out of me during those thirty minutes. The writer tried to reinvent the alien breeding system that was perfectly laid out. Instead, he made it convoluted and weird. Ripley's cloned self wasn't as good as the original Ripley, and perhaps the only good things about this movie were Ron Perlman, the scene with failed Ripley clones, and the fact that serious scenes were able to make me laugh with just how stupid they were. I don't consider this movie to be cannon, and I'm not even a hardcore fan of the Alien universe. Expand
SantiagoMAKiiNAJul 5, 2012
As I open this review I realize the unintended pun in regards to the title. Resurrection. This picture idea needed to remain dead. Don't get me wrong, I had a good laugh watching it and I was even entertained. But it's a clear example ofAs I open this review I realize the unintended pun in regards to the title. Resurrection. This picture idea needed to remain dead. Don't get me wrong, I had a good laugh watching it and I was even entertained. But it's a clear example of what already began to take place in Alien 3 and takes place with many Hollywood franchises all the time. The product makes money, so you turn to the accountant types to 'package' the next version of cool aid, hence removing the originality from the product that made the big bucks to begin with. Or, we could call it a resurrection.
Director Jean-Pierre Jeunet is brilliant, I like all his other movies. Truly imaginative and creative like no other films. The cinematographer, Darius Khondji, is a genius. Simply turn off the volume and watch any images from this film on their own merit. The guy's work should be hanging from a museum. The digital effects and production design were superb. The ships are believable and the environment convincing. You feel like you are in there. And finally, we get to the script. Joss Whedon's script... Ok. So, Alien 3 might have aimed a couple notches too far towards the dramatic aspect of what was always intended as a fun thriller with good action in it. And I am definitely a fan of Whedon's work. All that being said. Alien is not Firefly. Campy works for the space pirates, not with the legacy of Ridley Scott, James Cameron, and David Fincher.
Looking back at all this highly talented pieces of the puzzle, it's easy to see why they don't fit at all. Clearly, the studio guys knew nothing of this folk's work. They were probably "packaging" this thing via their assistants. I mean, have you seen any of Jean-Pierre Jeunet's movies? I'm talking about Delicatessen and Amelie here. Go have a look. Tell me where you see an alien and a space ship in there?
And Whedon's character's structure? The space pirate types? They board a military grade ship in a renegade top mission? Seriously, that was the best idea all that studio money could come up with?
Look, I do own the Firefly DVD collection, I love it. But make your own judgment on this. Go watch a random episode of Firefly and then have a view of Ridley Scott's Alien. Tell me how exactly do you thread any of these elements together?
We all wanna make movies and want to be part of big studio projects, but, give me a break, there comes a time to also say "I'll pass on this one. It's not for me."
Jailhouse_McGeeOct 12, 2012
One of my big, big disappointments in the cinema... After a ridiculous beginning to open the alien saga again, it's slime, more slime, and so on. And did I mention how stupid everybody behaves here, especially the military?? Takes the aliensOne of my big, big disappointments in the cinema... After a ridiculous beginning to open the alien saga again, it's slime, more slime, and so on. And did I mention how stupid everybody behaves here, especially the military?? Takes the aliens a couple of hours or so to escape, and the masterplan is to evacuate and autopilot the ship back to earth... Come on!! Expand
CJBailey14May 12, 2014
This movie is a mistake, it has completely lost the the same goals and feel of the first 3. It's no longer the gripping Sci-Fi Horror that the previous movies were, it's now a joke and a bit of a gimmick, it honestly should've stopped at theThis movie is a mistake, it has completely lost the the same goals and feel of the first 3. It's no longer the gripping Sci-Fi Horror that the previous movies were, it's now a joke and a bit of a gimmick, it honestly should've stopped at the 3rd or this should've have been better written. I'm mainly giving it such a low score simply because it completely killed the legendary series it once was. Expand
KhaamatJan 13, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The 2 last movies just dont have the same climate as the 2 first ones.
If you hate long texts here is the short version: The movie errors, things left unexplained, weak aliens and the super-soldier rippley mad this movie a waste of time IMO.
Here is the long and detailed version of my critic:
So, first of all...we have a cloned ripley with an alien queen being removed from her chest....that was my first problem with this movie. She suicided to end forever the alien threat, but they simply made a BACKUP. Yes, a backup, not a clone. The cloning part..? ok, but how the f*ck did they create her with the queen inside? shoudn't it have been only rippley? And talking about this, rippley became a super soldier (she had entreme agilty, super-strenght, super smelling ability, acidic blood, I dont understand why they dont added x-ray vision too. Althought there is an "explanation" to this, it was boring, she losed her sense of things around her (what I mean is: things that she would NEVER talk, like when she smiling and saying "Im her mother", being proud of it. It just wasnt her style). At the part where the crew were underwater, that was just too unrealistic, several minutes underwater, like it was nothing. The android gets shot, fall on the water static but appears out of nowhere to open the door on the other side (and that's because it was supposed to be the only way..). She encouters her clones, and her blob sister tell rippley to kill her. No, just a bullet on the head wont do, she NEED to burn her. Now we talk about the aliens. They're smart, cute, scary, angry, intelligent and now, fragile like paper. Of course they escaped, caused trouble and died. The queen got smashed by that gross thing that she generated. In comparison tho the Alien's queen and aliens, they were pretty weak and less scarier. About the gruesome newborn alien...i really dont have words to express my feeling. It was distasteful, gross and I was really dissapointed. It just smashed the queen's head like you smash a mosquito. Then it develop feelings for rippley, crush the scientist's head and meanwhile I wonder: how the f*ck in this world did it was created? Yes, there is a queen with a womb and it would be an interesting explanation, but...the queen had a womb, humans have womb too, but to create a baby (human or not) you need a thing that its called sperm. Did the scientist had sex with the alien queen? Was it a god miracle? I think I dont want to know if he really had sex with her. Anyways. I aways heard people talking good about this movie, but as a huge alien fan, I was dissapointed, very, very dissapointed.
Larry223Sep 8, 2014
Es simplemente mala. Esta película arruino la franquicia, en comparación Alien3 es una obra maestra. Alien3 a la mitad le gusto a la otra mitad no, pero esta cosa es simplemente horrible. Lo principal es que no hay mención de nada, no se sabeEs simplemente mala. Esta película arruino la franquicia, en comparación Alien3 es una obra maestra. Alien3 a la mitad le gusto a la otra mitad no, pero esta cosa es simplemente horrible. Lo principal es que no hay mención de nada, no se sabe que paso con los marines ni con la compañía, absolutamente nada. Una de las peores cosas es el clon de Ellen Ripley, antes ella era un humano y no me refiero por lo del ADN, ahora parece una maquina asesina sin emociones, antes ella podía sentir miedo, tristeza, amor, emociones, ahora no tiene nada de eso. La única vez que se siente que es humana es cuando ve a sus clones defectuosos pero después de eso no lo menciona, como si nunca hubiera pasado. La historia tiene poco sentido, como clonaron a Riple y a la reina Alien a la vez? no podían solo con uno? acaso la sangre humana se mezclo con la del Alien? como? Esta película es tonta, no tiene mucho sentido, y el final es malo, la mejor parte de Alien3 fue el final, inconcluso pero mil veces mejor que el de esta "película". Le doy un 02/10 por ser una "secuela" de Alien y Aliens. Y si tu eres uno de los que les gusto la película pues mira las películas life action de Resident Evil por que son una historia y trama similar. Una chica al inicio aparece desnuda, de hay se encuentra con una súper amenaza Aliens/Zombies y tiene que escapar y exterminarlos. Si te gusto míralas, seguro que te parecerán obras maestras mientras que en el mundo real seguirán siendo malas. Expand
MovieManiac83Apr 23, 2015
Between "Alien" and "Aliens," 57 years passed, with Ellen Ripley in suspended animation. Between "Aliens" and "Alien3," she drifted through space in a lifeboat, before landing on a prison planet. In all three films she did battle with vileBetween "Alien" and "Aliens," 57 years passed, with Ellen Ripley in suspended animation. Between "Aliens" and "Alien3," she drifted through space in a lifeboat, before landing on a prison planet. In all three films she did battle with vile alien creatures constructed out of teeth, green sinew, and goo. In "Alien3" she told this life form: "I've known you so long I can't remember a time when you weren't in my life." I'm telling the aliens the same thing. This is a series whose inspiration has come, gone, and been forgotten. I'm aliened out. The fourth movie, depends on a frayed shoestring of a plot, barely enough to give them something to talk about between the action scenes. A "Boo Movie," Pauline Kael called the second one, because it all came down to aliens popping up and going "boo!" and being destroyed.

I found that second film dark and depressing, but skillfully directed by James Cameron ("Terminator II"). I lost interest with the third, when I realized that the aliens could at all times outrun and outleap the humans, so all the chase scenes were contrivances.

Now here is "Alien Resurrection." Ripley (Sigourney Weaver) is still the heroine, even though 200 years have passed since "Alien3." She has been cloned out of a drop of her own blood, and is being used as a brood mare: The movie opens with surgeons removing a baby alien from her womb. How the baby got in there is not fully explained, for which we should perhaps be grateful.

These aliens have a lot of stuff in their mouths; not only the tongue and their famous teeth, but another little head on a stalk, with smaller teeth. Still to be determined is whether the littler head has a still tinier head inside of it, and so on. Like the bugs in "Starship Troopers," these aliens are an example of specialization. They have evolved over the eons into creatures adapted for one purpose only: To star in horror movies.

What impact will "Alien Resurrection" have on the careers of Weaver and Ryder? Financially, it will help: Weaver remains the only woman who can open an action picture. Artistically, the film will have no impact at all. It's a nine days' wonder, a geek show designed to win a weekend or two at the box office and then fade from memory.
LepstrungMar 19, 2016
Over all really boring movie only watched ot because its part of alien series. I think 3rd one was bad so I didnt expect anything from this. Movie has some major holes in plot and I just didnt get like half of it. Why did they have to dive inOver all really boring movie only watched ot because its part of alien series. I think 3rd one was bad so I didnt expect anything from this. Movie has some major holes in plot and I just didnt get like half of it. Why did they have to dive in the water. Im sure there would be other ways its huge ship. Secondly why didnt they kill that one guy they knew he was going to die when he had alien inside him. Only good part of movie was the end because it ended. They could have made resurrection much better if they would have spent more time with it. Also that human/alien fusion think was horrible and ugly. Expand
rwickJan 28, 2016
How does this waste of celluloid have a better rating than Alien 3? While it may have more action to it than its predecessor, Alien: Resurrection does to the franchise what the '90's Godzilla did to that one. Performances are comedicallyHow does this waste of celluloid have a better rating than Alien 3? While it may have more action to it than its predecessor, Alien: Resurrection does to the franchise what the '90's Godzilla did to that one. Performances are comedically hollow, starting with Wynona Rider whose entrance into the film series seems to be an attempt to pass the lead role of Sigourney Weaver to her. Instead, Weaver's passable performance only serves to further juxtapose how utterly dreadful all the rest are. While the Alien looks good, probably better than it ever has, the script and performances give this whole movie a Sci-Fi Channel original film. I only hope for a new Alien film to wash the ugly aftertaste of this one away. Expand
RickyReviewsJun 24, 2016
Alien: Resurrection is truly the worst Alien film ever made. If you are into gore, loads of f bombs. and a horrible plot, then Alien: Resurrection is for you. I liked Alien, thought Aliens was okay,but this is just horrible.