7.5

1. Jan 5, 2014
    I went into this expecting a funny script propped up by a great cast, but this movie is much more than that. Easily the best thing I've seen in theaters in years. There are funny moments, but this is a showcase of characters that engage and never stop developing. If ever there was a case of sympathy for the bad guy, you'll find it here. Bale has the performance of a lifetime here. It'sI went into this expecting a funny script propped up by a great cast, but this movie is much more than that. Easily the best thing I've seen in theaters in years. There are funny moments, but this is a showcase of characters that engage and never stop developing. If ever there was a case of sympathy for the bad guy, you'll find it here. Bale has the performance of a lifetime here. It's unlike anything I've seen from him before. You'll see an unexpected honesty in his performance. Adams and Cooper likewise showcase their notable talents, and a cast of impeccable supporting characters really drives this home. The weakest performance comes from Lawrence, but even so she has moments of raw, emotional talent that make up for a few missteps. Don't miss this movie! Expand
  2. Dec 30, 2013
    American Hustle has an energy that makes the movie come alive and injects the story with comedy, tension, surprise and sympathy for the characters. The entire cast gives outstanding performances in David O. Russell's best film.
  3. Dec 25, 2013
    "American Hustle" is a pretty darn good, entertaining, and fun film. While I don't think it's director David O' Russell's best film, I still think it is his best directed. It is directed with a flashy style that really fits with the era of the movie. There are many over the top moments and exaggerated camera sweeps that really brings a lot of excitement on screen. The script is layered"American Hustle" is a pretty darn good, entertaining, and fun film. While I don't think it's director David O' Russell's best film, I still think it is his best directed. It is directed with a flashy style that really fits with the era of the movie. There are many over the top moments and exaggerated camera sweeps that really brings a lot of excitement on screen. The script is layered with hilarious dialogue and deeper meaning of living the "American Dream" than what is actually being presented on screen. However, I wish it did have more focus and a tighter story as it did feel like it was all over the place. The journey is also more satisfying than the actual conclusion.

The cast is great and the director really gets some amazing performances from the cast. Christian Bale, Amy Adams, and Bradley Cooper are great in their roles and play very dimensional characters. They make them come alive and their on-screen chemistry is great. However, the real stand-out in this star studded cast is Jennifer Lawrence, who doesn't have as much depth or screen time, but commands total attention on-screen. She embodies everything that the movie is going for by being over the top, zany, and full on entertaining. Everytime she was off-screen, I kept on begging for more.

Overall, "American Hustle" is a really good movie that is equal parts entertaining and thought provoking. It never reaches any emotional highs and needs some focus, but David O' Russell's stylish direction, use of high energy music, and committed cast makes this movie something special. I give it 4.5/5
  4. Jan 5, 2014
    David O' Russell has another winner. A great movie with great hair. With a stellar cast it is easy to enjoy and watch these pros do what they do best. None of the actors really get a standout moment though, except for Jennifer Lawrence. The story moves at a slow pace, but the movie makes up for it with a perfect soundtrack that breathes the very essence of the 70's.
  5. Dec 30, 2013
    Great cast. Great acting. Good story. The only knock I have is the movie is a bit slow and methodical in its pace. Not very often the entire ensemble cast of one movie could be nominated for an Oscar since all the performances were strong across the board. Good movie.
  6. Jan 12, 2014
    Good story and plot, with a fairly unpredictable ending unless you know a great deal about the ABSCAM senario. Bale was very good with his role and even Cooper was good as he finally got out of his type-casting roles and into something that resembles acting. As a b0onus, since the flick is based in the 70s the sound track is well done as well.
  7. Jan 9, 2014
    Awesome film. David O. Russell kills it as director and Bale, Adams, Cooper, Lawrence, Renner, Louis CK, De Niro, etc, kill it in this one. The characterization of everyone is fantastic and it's awesome that we got to see so many back stories of different characters, which helped you to understand why they did the things they did. Honestly, this is my favorite film of 2013 that I've seen thus far.
  8. Jan 4, 2014
    The character development in this movie is fantastic. Each character is thoroughly developed and is really fleshed out. You like some characters, you hate some; you even love some. The cast, which only helps character development, was one of the best casts I have seen in a movie. Christian Bale, Bradley Cooper, Amy Adams, Jennifer Lawrence, Jeremy Renner, Louis C.K. and the list just keepsThe character development in this movie is fantastic. Each character is thoroughly developed and is really fleshed out. You like some characters, you hate some; you even love some. The cast, which only helps character development, was one of the best casts I have seen in a movie. Christian Bale, Bradley Cooper, Amy Adams, Jennifer Lawrence, Jeremy Renner, Louis C.K. and the list just keeps going on! The story was also quite exemplary. It was not a cliche movie, and everything was tied up in the end. The movie was like a puzzle. All the pieces fell into place. It was very satisfying. David O. Russel did a fantastic job with the directing on this. I would love to see Jennifer Lawrence get Best Supporting Actress at the Oscars. As far as movie of the year, I personally don't think it will get it. It was good, but there are many other great movies out there. Expand
  9. Mar 4, 2014
    Yet another crime movie based on real events like recent ‘Pain & Gain’. It was the star's collision, everyone competed with each others. Giants like Christian Bale, Bradley Cooper and Jeremy Renner fought to show their masculine strength. In another stream Amy Adams and new sensation Jennifer Lawrence had war to rule feminine parts. Overall, it is the celebration time for movie buffs toYet another crime movie based on real events like recent ‘Pain & Gain’. It was the star's collision, everyone competed with each others. Giants like Christian Bale, Bradley Cooper and Jeremy Renner fought to show their masculine strength. In another stream Amy Adams and new sensation Jennifer Lawrence had war to rule feminine parts. Overall, it is the celebration time for movie buffs to see multi stars in one screen.

As usual Bale’s appearance did not surprise me. He’s one of the actors from Hollywood who do a variety of experimental roles in his movies especially in physical appearances. Bradley Cooper had a good time recently with many blockbusters, so in a movie to share screenspace with Bale will boost his professional growth in his career graph.

Amy Adams is a good actress, but she’s not attracted to me though she was great in this film. No doubt Jennifer Lawrence was thrown an incredible performance with her small role. Yet both are very enjoyable to watch, especially expected that particular cat fight moment.

Let me tell why you should not miss this movie. The cast was the great strength the movie had. Robert De Niro’s guest appearance made it more fuzz and the puzzling story created lots of guess games among viewers. I must say it was well scripted by the writers and crafted beautifully by the director of 'Three Kings'.
  10. Jan 2, 2014
    The heist film genre is one of the most exciting film genres in recent memory, thanks to the likes of elaborate minds and stylistically driven directors. From Soderbergh’s Ocean trilogy which began the trend of mainstream, modern-day cops-and-robbers films, to other very meticulously crafted caper films, the heist genre is one which is both exciting and compelling to crack before theThe heist film genre is one of the most exciting film genres in recent memory, thanks to the likes of elaborate minds and stylistically driven directors. From Soderbergh’s Ocean trilogy which began the trend of mainstream, modern-day cops-and-robbers films, to other very meticulously crafted caper films, the heist genre is one which is both exciting and compelling to crack before the climactic final act. American Hustle is a modern day, somewhat self-indulgent, patriotic heist film with outstanding performances, many good times and very few bad times. The beauty of Hustle lies in its amazing ability to fake it; whether it be faking an overly complicated narrative for no apparent reason or a meaningful story that never gets old, Hustle is a solid film that will con your heart, through and through.

American Hustle is a testament to a very powerful, respected and hard-working director. David O. Russell is a director who focuses more on his characters than he does on his story, and it is easily noticed in Hustle. Each and every one of the performances in his newest writing/directing credit is every bit as evolved and appreciated as his last. O. Russell has proven, time and time again, that his ability to get the best performances out of his actors is one of his many featured signatures. From Melissa Leo, Amy Adams, Christian Bale, Bradley Cooper, Jacki Weaver, Robert Di Nero, and Jennifer Lawrence, O. Russell brings a furious velocity to his characters in the form of his actors that have ended in Oscar glory, if not recognition, at the very least.

American Hustle is a con film showing the real con-artists as small time players against the biggest con artists of the world; the American government and the American judicial system. Hustle is a loose re-telling of the events following the investigation of the operation named “Abscam”.

Like any good story being told, it begins, and will always begin with a girl. That girl, in this case, is Sydney Prosser (Amy Adams), or Lady Edith Greensly, either way, it starts with a girl, as do most American narratives. When low-level con artist and small-time businessman Irving Rosenfeld meets stripper Sydney at a party in 1978, the two begin a love-affair that involves low-level stakes at fraud and scamming, unbeknownst to Irving’s unstable wife at the time, Rosalyn (Jennifer Lawrence). As Irving and Sydney meet investors and embezzle their money, they attract the attention of undercover FBI agent Richie Di Maso (Bradley Cooper). Desperate to make a name for himself, Di Maso entraps the two con-artists in a scam that includes the mayor of Camden, New Jersey Carmine Polito (Jeremy Renner), various members of Congress, and the mafia.

While Irving’s life spins completely out of control between spiralling cons, a love triangle between him, Sydney, and Richie, as well as his manipulating and out of control wife, Irving must master the fine art of deception so that he and Sydney can still come out with their lives.

Much like the marketing of the film, and true to the style of the director, the performances are at the forefront of Hustle. Turning in two of the best performances of his career (the other being the slow burning thriller Out of the Furnace) Bale solidifies his confidence as a serious method actor. Bale’s dedication to the craft, whether it be his outrageous weight-gain or loss, heightens his performances.

Other stand-out performances include Amy Adams, whose confused and beguiling depiction of a desperate woman in search of love, happiness, and the American dream, is met wholeheartedly when she delivers lines like “you’re nothing to me until you’re everything”. Adams sheds her good-girl image as she did for O. Russell previously in The Fighter, by playing the sexy pillar to her love interests. Much like Julia Roberts did in Erin Brockovich, I’m not sure if Adams deserves the supporting Oscar nomination or if her constantly revealing side-boob does. Either way, Adams seduces her leading men in high fashion, and ironically enough, low fabric.

Lawrence, who won the Oscar for Lead Actress with O. Russell’s highly over-rated Silver Linings Playbook last year as another unstable, slutty persona, really gives a sense of her characters unwillingness to change. Lawrence’s Rosalyn is a crazy, contorting character who shows that her character is way out of her league in her husband’s world of deceit. Rosalyn is really a child in a grown man’s world.

Renner hits it out of the park as Polito, an honest man whose sketchy manoeuvres as a person in power, really sheds the action-hero substitute Renner has been playing recently in franchise revival action genre films.
  11. Jan 11, 2014
    This years Argo with the most Golden Globe nominations of any movie. American Hustle seems to be preferred by critics than the public, just take a look at the discussion forum, however I found it to be one of the years best films.

Despite a slow and disappointing start, in which I was already planning my review containing many uses of the word overrated, American Hustle improves hugely in the last 100 minutes. Mainly because of the brilliant ensemble cast with names such as Christian Bale, in yet another body transformation for a role. His two wives Amy Adams as Sydney Prosser and Jennifer Lawrence giving the best performance in the movie for Rosalyn Rosenfeld. Oscar nominee, for Silver Linings Playbook, Bradley Cooper is mesmerising along side Louis C.K. as the 2 FBI agents. But the most surprising performance is definitely by the most unknown members of The Avengers himself Jeremy Renner who was obviously out of his comfort zone playing the corrupt politician Carmine Polito. A very unusual role for him to play because he didn't blow anything up within the first 5 minutes. How much they develop over the 130 minutes is probably the most unpredictable and surprising thing about the whole picture. Everything is filmed with a unique style obviously paying homage to the decade it is set in, the 70's. Retro costumes and most noticeably retro hair give American Hustle a very likable and entertaining visual style which I hope will appear in more of David O. Russell's movies in future. Much to my surprise American Hustle also has a very witty and effective sense of humor, which easily made me laugh on many occasions, mainly due to the convincing chemistry between Christian Bale and Jennifer Lawrence. However what surprises the most is without a doubt is the almost unbelievable fact that American Hustle is based on a true story, it obviously has exaggerated elements put in the script for dramatic or comedic effect, but still it's pretty mind blowing that someone would even attempt the events that happen in this movie.

Perfectly cast and full of unique interesting characters who never fail to entertain you, America Hustle is one of the best scripted and directed movies of 2013. I enjoyed near to every second of it and think it deserves it's title as this years Argo.
  12. Mar 7, 2014
    Going into this movie, I thought with David O. Russell at the helm and the cast he put in place that this was going to be one of the year's best. While a good movie and well acted, this movie had trouble focusing for me and seemed to employ a lot of improv that hurt the overall product.
  13. Jan 6, 2014
    David O. Russell has done it again. American Hustle has it all. Sexy, funny, and Great Performances. Christian Bale and Cooper are great. Christian almost never disappoints, so you will find yourself entertained by his character. Mr. Cooper has really taken on the job of a true actor in his last few films. He is 2 for 2 on David O. Russell directed films, and I wouldn't be surprised if weDavid O. Russell has done it again. American Hustle has it all. Sexy, funny, and Great Performances. Christian Bale and Cooper are great. Christian almost never disappoints, so you will find yourself entertained by his character. Mr. Cooper has really taken on the job of a true actor in his last few films. He is 2 for 2 on David O. Russell directed films, and I wouldn't be surprised if we see a few more team ups by the two. The costumes, hair, and make-up are spot on. Great ensemble cast. Lawrence and Adams are two of this era's best actresses. Must see film. Expand
  14. Feb 2, 2014
    Having now seen this film I can certainly say this is very overrated. Know that it won a Golden Globe and has many BAFTA and Oscar nominations is surprising. It is unnecessarily long, not as interesting as it tries to be, more stylish than it needs to be, has one character which is inconsistent and has a underwhelming ending. It reminds me that Citizen Kane never won best picture butHaving now seen this film I can certainly say this is very overrated. Know that it won a Golden Globe and has many BAFTA and Oscar nominations is surprising. It is unnecessarily long, not as interesting as it tries to be, more stylish than it needs to be, has one character which is inconsistent and has a underwhelming ending. It reminds me that Citizen Kane never won best picture but Driving Miss Daisy did; award ceremonies don't reward great films but rather popular and newly released films. We need to treat these ceremonies as entertainment and not as a measure of cinema hallmarks.

Make no mistake this is a good movie. Ignore the press and hype so you can realise this is just a decent con artist film, one that spends more time giving it's 4 cast members time to shine and entertaining us, than having a compelling and memorable story.
  15. Dec 30, 2013
    David O. Russell continues his fantastic film making. Though not as good as Silver Linings Playbook, American Hustle works mainly because of top notch acting. A
  16. Jan 25, 2014
    American Hustle, the most overrated movie of 2013. It's not a bad movie but doesn't deserve all the Oscar nominees that it recieved. The actors did do a good job in their roles but I spent half the movie asking "What is going on right now?". It just felt convolulted. I might have had too high expectations but it just wasn't that impressed. Not a bad film but not whay it is being made out to be.
  17. Jan 2, 2014
    American Hustle is the 3rd film from director David O. Russel, and it is a great film .One of the very you will see in 2013.The movie is energetic,extremely well made and features outstanding performances from it's A-List cast, which includes the likes of Christian Bale,Amy Adams, and Bradley Cooper.The characters bring the movie to life, and help to make up for the uneven script. TheAmerican Hustle is the 3rd film from director David O. Russel, and it is a great film .One of the very you will see in 2013.The movie is energetic,extremely well made and features outstanding performances from it's A-List cast, which includes the likes of Christian Bale,Amy Adams, and Bradley Cooper.The characters bring the movie to life, and help to make up for the uneven script. The movie reminds me of older Scorsese films like Goodfellas, and while it falls a bit short of being that grand, what you get with this movie is some of the best entertainment of 2013.American Hustle is a great movie, and very much worth a watch. Expand
  18. Jan 1, 2014
    While having unambitious and unpredictable main plot "American Hustle" shines in almost every aspect of cinema! But this movie also did some questionable turns, that took away the from the overall experience!
  19. Jan 19, 2014
    Best ensemble of the year. Bale, Adams, Cooper, and Lawrence all show how great they are at what they do in a film that tells its story perfectly. The ending was perfect and it still managed to make you laugh many time. Lawrence is Hilarious and was born to act. Great movie, possibly best of the year.
  20. Jan 4, 2014
    Loosely based on the FBI ABSCAM Operation in the 1970’s, the film follows successful conman Irving Rosenfeld, played by the usually committed Christian Bale, and his deceptive crime partner and mistress “Edith Greensly” played with allure by Amy Adams. To evade prosecution these con artists are forced to serve the FBI by creating an elaborate sting operation to nail corrupt politicians inLoosely based on the FBI ABSCAM Operation in the 1970’s, the film follows successful conman Irving Rosenfeld, played by the usually committed Christian Bale, and his deceptive crime partner and mistress “Edith Greensly” played with allure by Amy Adams. To evade prosecution these con artists are forced to serve the FBI by creating an elaborate sting operation to nail corrupt politicians in the U.S of A. Spearheading this FBI operation on the field is Bradley Cooper’s Agent Richie DiMaso, who goes toe-to-toe with the very con artists he enlisted. Among the corrupt politicians being played by all involved; Mayor Carmine Polito (well played by Jeremy Renner) has his heart in the right place but uses the wrong means to go about accomplishing his plans. While all this scamming and “stinging” is going, Jennifer Lawrence’s Rosalyn Rosenfeld, the zany wife of Irving, threatens the whole operation with her jealousy driven antics. I detailed all the major characters, not to fill space or waste time, but to express my appreciation for the characters in this film. A great character is nothing without great performances, and the cast delivers from all angles! If I was to single out any performance it would probably be Bradley Cooper’s eccentric characterization, which was nice comedic work in an already hilarious film. As it stands the ensemble was fantastic, and well guided by director David O. Russell who continues to prove his ability to direct actors. With the multiple narrators to widen the viewer’s perspective, the off-key film editing and the soundtrack, O. Russel may have taken a few too many notes from Scorsese; but it works, it all works well. This approach was a service to the complicated story, which was made into a digestible viewing experience. It also helped in character development; after all, the film was a character study at its heart. With a sound cast and confident direction, this was a wild burst of energy from a filmmaker who is eyeing gold at this year’s awards season. Expand
  21. Feb 17, 2014
    I absolutely love this movie. From start to finish, I could not take my eyes off the screen. The soundtrack is awesome and the characters are believable and likable. Just a great, fun movie to watch. I am adding this one to my personal collection.
  22. Feb 8, 2014
    I can't help but see this as the most overrated film of 2013. The acting, cinematography, and soundtrack is good...but the script is not even half as clever as it thinks it is, the plot is so scattered it feels like a schizophrenic leprechaun on LSD wrote it, and director David O. Russel just seems so lost in his own recent success that he feels like he can push all of the boundaries heI can't help but see this as the most overrated film of 2013. The acting, cinematography, and soundtrack is good...but the script is not even half as clever as it thinks it is, the plot is so scattered it feels like a schizophrenic leprechaun on LSD wrote it, and director David O. Russel just seems so lost in his own recent success that he feels like he can push all of the boundaries he wants and get applauded for it. Sadly that last part seems basically true. I'm all for movies that break traditional molds and delve deep into the bizarre and contradictory rawness of human thoughts and emotions, but this just made me feel sick and confused. There is no structure at all, while this is clearly intentional, it doesn't work for me. Plus the movie isn't funny enough to be a comedy, it isn't engaging enough to be a romance, and it isn't interesting enough to be a drama, leaving it stuck in some sort of genre-limbo. That isn't even touching on the extreme overuse of narration to explain the characters feelings, the fact that the actual problem of the movie is completely ambiguous until the end of the second act, and the absence any real protagonist to care about or find fascinating. Expand
  23. Jan 7, 2014
    Though the acting is strong and eclectic to where it adds rather sophisticated comedy, the style and feel of the movie is strikingly similar to 'Goodfellas', a classic of cinema. 'American Hustle' is an entertaining and well written film that, unfortunately, takes too many essences of past films, thought I won't go into the list. I don't see Jennifer Lawrence as anything in here. BradleyThough the acting is strong and eclectic to where it adds rather sophisticated comedy, the style and feel of the movie is strikingly similar to 'Goodfellas', a classic of cinema. 'American Hustle' is an entertaining and well written film that, unfortunately, takes too many essences of past films, thought I won't go into the list. I don't see Jennifer Lawrence as anything in here. Bradley Copper was annoying. Christian Bale and Amy Adams were the standalone characters in this film, Bale especially with his dedication to the role. David O. Russell's previous two films were his most talented, not 'American Hustle'. Expand
  24. Jan 16, 2014
    American Hustle is the only movie I have ever seen where I felt like walking out of the cinema. There were a couple of scenes that made me smile or laugh but overall the whole film was dire, a sort of dull shade of grey and blandness throughout. I can't even put my finger on what was so bad about it I just know I did'nt enjoy it one bit. It kind of reminded me of a Guy Ritchie movie...butAmerican Hustle is the only movie I have ever seen where I felt like walking out of the cinema. There were a couple of scenes that made me smile or laugh but overall the whole film was dire, a sort of dull shade of grey and blandness throughout. I can't even put my finger on what was so bad about it I just know I did'nt enjoy it one bit. It kind of reminded me of a Guy Ritchie movie...but with all the interesting bits taken out. Even the "twist" or "how they did" moment at the end just didnt grab me, it just felt very "oh..." Expand
  25. Dec 16, 2013
    Definitely one of the Best Movie of the year, easily. It was completely different and a nice change from all the drama category. It was entertaining, hilarious and overall engaging film. What really made the movie come alive was the fantastic cast ensemble, from Bradley Cooper to Amy Adams and Jennifer Lawrence. The cast complemented each other like butter and toast, smooth, silky andDefinitely one of the Best Movie of the year, easily. It was completely different and a nice change from all the drama category. It was entertaining, hilarious and overall engaging film. What really made the movie come alive was the fantastic cast ensemble, from Bradley Cooper to Amy Adams and Jennifer Lawrence. The cast complemented each other like butter and toast, smooth, silky and sweet. David O. Russell is a great director and writer and deserves to win Original Screenplay and Director. His repertoire definitely puts him in the finest director category along with Martin Scorsese and Steven Spielberg from his work for "The Three Kings," "The Fighter," and last year's "The Silver Lining's Playbook." Expand
  26. Jan 24, 2014
    American Hustle is a good film, but not a great one, and it falls significantly short of all the amazing reviews and scores so many critics have given it. The cast is superb, with Bale, Cooper, Lawrence and Renner all giving methodical and solid performances. The real issue with the film however, lies with the writing and editing. The entire film seems as if scenes have been stuckAmerican Hustle is a good film, but not a great one, and it falls significantly short of all the amazing reviews and scores so many critics have given it. The cast is superb, with Bale, Cooper, Lawrence and Renner all giving methodical and solid performances. The real issue with the film however, lies with the writing and editing. The entire film seems as if scenes have been stuck together, but theres no glue to hold them together. The result is something of a mess, a poorly paced film with a continually swaying tone, and by the time it comes to the climax, you're just left sitting there thinking "So?" or "I don't really care". For me, the film demonstrates how great actors can really lift below par scripts and material. If you were thinking of seeing it, i recommended that you do so without any prior expectations, and do your best to ignore any reviews you have seen or read about it. Expand
  27. Jan 22, 2014
    A cleverly funny and seductive film with fascinating characters is what pulls you in. But the fantastic performances and a story that makes you feel good, is why you stay. And credit should be given to Jennifer Lawrence and Amy Adams, who play both vulnerable and enticing at the same time.
  28. Dec 30, 2013
    Wow! Ever since I watched The Godfather or Scarface, I was craving a strong movie like them. I say this was the best movie of the century! Just makes the viewer so satisfied. There were no negatives about it. Acting was perfect, movie was perfect, perfectly directed, ending was perfect... Thank You David O. Russel.
  29. Jan 22, 2014
    This movie is so overrated. It is not funny nor the story is interesting. I have no clue why it is considered to be so good. It deserves 5/10 at most.
  30. Jan 14, 2014
    The plot of this film in no way lives up to it's marketing. The acting was excellent, but that ultimately could not sway me from the excruciatingly unrealistic characters, their relationships, and the way they move the plot forward. For a film made to attract audiences that are expecting sex and violence and cliche and humour and drama and cunning... it is a crash and burn failure. No sex.The plot of this film in no way lives up to it's marketing. The acting was excellent, but that ultimately could not sway me from the excruciatingly unrealistic characters, their relationships, and the way they move the plot forward. For a film made to attract audiences that are expecting sex and violence and cliche and humour and drama and cunning... it is a crash and burn failure. No sex. At all. No violence. At all. Little attempt at humour. Honestly, awful film. Expand
  31. Jan 6, 2014
    Another unforgettable movie of David O. Russel emerged. The story not only contains a perfect amount of comedy, but also enough suspense to sustain the 140 min. of running time. Moreover there are incredible performances of the leads, especially Bale, Lawrence. A film which is to be recommended.
  32. Jan 12, 2014
    I think this movie is overrated. Performance was good but often overdone. It was painful to see Bale trying to be a fat and bald guy but not very successful/convincing. And as the main character behind all this, his character wasn't fully developed IMO, because a lot of unnecessary attention was paid to both Lawrence and Cooper being crazy, and Adams' semi-exposed boobs. The storyline isI think this movie is overrated. Performance was good but often overdone. It was painful to see Bale trying to be a fat and bald guy but not very successful/convincing. And as the main character behind all this, his character wasn't fully developed IMO, because a lot of unnecessary attention was paid to both Lawrence and Cooper being crazy, and Adams' semi-exposed boobs. The storyline is less than surprising or novel. The time shift was maybe unnecessary and I did not see it add to the story, similar to a comparison with Pulp Fiction. Expand
  33. Jan 20, 2014
    This is the best David O. Russel movie to date! American hustle really felt a Martin Scorsese movie. It had me fooled until the very end. And was one of the best movies of the year.
  34. Jan 26, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I saw American Hustle after reading the positive reviews of the Media after all the nominations received for the Oscar Awards but I was very disappointed for the following reasons:
    - the movie tries unsuccessfully to move between comedy and a serious story
    - they said that it was based on a true story Arabscam (or s similar name) but most of the facts seem totally unrealistic and difficult to happen, such as advancing money to receive a loan from UK in the '70 ties or Arabs investing in US in gambling in the same historical period
    - in the movie there are many inconsistencies. For example De Niro discovers that the Arab doesn't understand the arab language and there is no consequence?
    If it is based on a true story I would like to know exactly what happened to see if the erratic behavior of many characters really took place.
    The acting is OK, except for the poor appearence of De Niro but this doesn't seem enough to me to rehabilitate the story and the movie overall
    Roberto Bellei
    Rome Italy
  35. Feb 10, 2014
    We went to see this movie because the hype was so big but I was very disappointed. While the acting was very good, especially Jennifer Lawrence, I found the plot left me cold ... and confused. I really couldn't figure out what it was all about or why. Why was this an interesting subject for a movie? The idea of the con has been pretty solid movie material in the past but this con-manWe went to see this movie because the hype was so big but I was very disappointed. While the acting was very good, especially Jennifer Lawrence, I found the plot left me cold ... and confused. I really couldn't figure out what it was all about or why. Why was this an interesting subject for a movie? The idea of the con has been pretty solid movie material in the past but this con-man story felt like it couldn't figure out what to focus on: love, friendship, making money, trying to survive, what? Was it about the art of the con, con men being in turn conned, or con men conning those who thought they were conning the con fen? It felt unfocused. I was not that impressed, and frankly Christian Bale's comb-over was not sexy at all, so I spent a lot of time thinking "yuck". And finally, the 70s fashions have a lot to answer for - the decade that fashion forgot. Expand
  36. Mar 11, 2014
    American Hustle is a very entertaining movie. It has the best ensemble one can have for a movie. Christian Bale gives a flawless performance. It is the best movie of David O. Russel.
  37. Mar 13, 2014
    Great acting but very poor story line, difficult to follow and left you feeling empty at the end. It got high critic reviews but honestly, I think the NY Post review was spot on.
  38. Mar 20, 2014
    I was looking forward to seeing this film for a while but was left very disappointed. I struggled to get through it with boredom. The story seemed forced to me and while the level of acting was good I never got into at all. Expected more from an Oscar nominee.
  39. Mar 30, 2014
    This is the problem that I had with this film, it was utterly boring. The acting was beyond great don't get me wrong, but the movie itself was a total snooze fest! No real memorable scenes in it, except for the ending credits... Look, I don't mean to be so harsh but come on! Some people can agree it wasn't that great of a movie.
  40. Ozy
    Jul 11, 2014
    A long and somewhat boring movie with snippets of "fun". Very talky talky and one very hot toilet sex scene - which is about as exciting as the movie got. Great acting by all means. If i got anything from this movie it was that bale can actually act. I didn't know that - good for him.
  41. Jun 25, 2014
    Prior to watching this: I went to see the film because of the many good reviews. Snucked in a Dominos Pizza and felt lethargic half way through film. Got food poisoning that night.
    Review:
    Pros: General good acting, particularly Lawrence's. Cons: This is a rather slow and miserable film with terrible hair for all the main actors. Cooper's character was a d**k, Bale's was inept,
    Review:
    Pros: General good acting, particularly Lawrence's.
    Cons: This is a rather slow and miserable film with terrible hair for all the main actors. Cooper's character was a d**k, Bale's was inept, Lawrence's was naive and I've never liked Adams's acting ever.
    2/5 - Don't bother.
  42. Sep 29, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This film convinced me to register here. I just couldn't believe the high average review score. I/10 is harsh but there is no way this is a 7.5, which makes the critic score just ridiculous.

I like the four main characters in their previous work, but my god this was turgid. Cooper, Adams, Lawrence and Bale is pretty much a dream-team cast, but I found myself losing interest well before the end, and generally not caring about what was going to happen.

Where was the danger? The slick voiceovers, quick wit and bizarre costumes created a more comical setting, but apart from the five minutes where De Niro rocks up I never felt that any of the characters were in any danger. Cooper bless him might get his heart broken. Oh well. It's not exactly Joe Pesci's menacing presence.

A bunch of generally unlikeable characters all trying to get one up on each other. Rather than Goodfellas,, this was more like Ocean's Eleven without the charm and twists.
  43. Jan 14, 2014
    anybody who is anybody is in this film, so as you might be able to tell my expectations were high, awesome story, the acting was OK, but i still think it lacked something to make it great and i had a difficult time paying attention and keeping up with it, it all comes together in the end though.
  44. Lyn
    Jan 2, 2014
    This story was a lot of fun, the acting excellent and the soundtrack a baby boomer's dream. Have to say I think Jennifer Lawrence's status as entertainment media "it girl" led to her (absolutely fine) performance being overrated somewhat. But Christian Bale and Amy Adams are spectacular.
  45. Jan 20, 2014
    This movie has you guessing which way the story is heading one minute and then it heads in the opposite direction. It's replete with comedy, intrigue, suspense and action. It's well worth it to see it on the big screen.
  46. Feb 9, 2014
    The movie was great but not outstanding. It is definitely not academy award winning picture of the year, or even nomination level. Seeing it once was enough.
  47. Jan 25, 2014
    I confess that I slept through the fatigue for 10 minutes as I watched, but that does not detract from the merit of the film covered all possible parameters in order to become what it is today, the tape with more nominations for Academy Awards (Gravity like).
    With effervescent dialogues, spectacular performances, for me the best was that of Amy Adams certainly.
    Excellent sound,
    Excellent sound, soundtrack, photography, art, costumes, everything. Undoubtedly one of the 10 best films of 2013.
  48. Mar 2, 2014
    I can't give an opinion on this movie without talking about David O. Russell's previous film first.

I didn't enjoy Silver Linings Playbook when i first saw it. I thought the characters were too crazy and the story was just over-the-top. As the months went by, i started realizing that, maybe, we all are really crazy; each in his/her own subtle way. David O. Russell just denotes this idea, without the subtle so as to make it clear to us. That's when i watched the movie again and really loved it. And then i watched American Hustle, and loved it as well.

The characters are really screwed up. Thanks to very stellar performances, especially by Christian Bale and Jennifer Lawrence, the characters really exemplify the craziness inherent in many people. Amy Adams is brilliant, while Bradley Cooper should have taken the craziness down a notch. The directing is superb, and so is the script. And it has one of the best soundtracks of the year.

I'm so glad to have seen this film. David O. Russell is one of my favorite director's right now.
  49. Jan 27, 2014
    Well i love the cast and have to admit i'm a big fan of Jennifer Lawrence, but can't give this a high score. On the pros; it had an excellent sounds track (especially for baby boomers) and yes much of the cast blended together very well. But on the negative side, i just felt the plot line was a bit tedious and the movie overall felt like it was about 30 min too long.
  50. Feb 1, 2014
    This movie overwhelms with great roles being performed fantastically. Good plot. It's just that the first half of the movie is so slow paced that it almost bored me to death. And then the second half is a nice comeback. Why couldn't it have been a bit more stable? In the end I had fun but I was fearing for the worst when it was half time...
    Please people, this is not a 10 movie...
    Please people, this is not a 10 movie... however, the actors were great!
  51. Feb 1, 2014
    A colorful wrap, great music, original narrative ... It is not enough to save us from "the nothingness" that this film develops. And besides, it's unforgivable to make such an almost-boring film with such condiments.

This and Gravity favorites for the Oscars. No surprises: Vacuity, nothingness, empty space.
  52. Mar 24, 2014
    Another excellent film under the directorship of David O. Russell. American Hustle is a modern day classic. Just genius. It tells the story of conman Irving Rosenfeld (Christian Bale) and his seductive mistress and partner Sydney Prosser (Amy Adams) who are forced to work with the F.B.I by Agent Richie DiMaso (Bradley Cooper) to set up an elaborate sting operation to uncover corruptAnother excellent film under the directorship of David O. Russell. American Hustle is a modern day classic. Just genius. It tells the story of conman Irving Rosenfeld (Christian Bale) and his seductive mistress and partner Sydney Prosser (Amy Adams) who are forced to work with the F.B.I by Agent Richie DiMaso (Bradley Cooper) to set up an elaborate sting operation to uncover corrupt politicians including the Mayor of camden (Jeremy Renner) however it's the unpredictability of Rosenfelds's wife (Jennifer Lawrence) that puts the plan in danger. It's filled with fantastic performances from all the leads. Christian Bale proves his class with a stellar showing accompanied by his partner in crime Amy Adams who herself, impresses with a varying performance. Bradley Cooper also comes up with the goods in yet another star turn. Yet again, it's Jennifer Lawrence who steals the show. The girl isn't just amazingly stunning but she's an extraordinarily gifted actress as she continues to wow audiences in each film she appears in. She is sensational in her supporting role. The film is thoroughly entertaining. Infact, it's contagious!! Definitely a feel good film that you would foolish to miss out on especially when you have the star studded line up on show. Expand
  53. Jan 30, 2014
    Yeah, this film really derives most of its interest from exposing people to the fashions and foolishness of the seventies and the distorted appearance of Christian Bale. It's mostly made up of insipid characters in a rather far-fetched love triangle and the con plays a secondary role. If it had concentrated more on that, it could have some intrigue. As a comedic Seventies' romp, it wouldYeah, this film really derives most of its interest from exposing people to the fashions and foolishness of the seventies and the distorted appearance of Christian Bale. It's mostly made up of insipid characters in a rather far-fetched love triangle and the con plays a secondary role. If it had concentrated more on that, it could have some intrigue. As a comedic Seventies' romp, it would have possibilities. To take a fine cast, dress them up stupidly and have them dance around in the middle of these two possibilities ends up being a trifle, nothing more. Expand
  54. Apr 12, 2014
    American Hustle tells the story of con man Irving Rosenfeld (Bale) and partner Sydney Prosser (Adams) as they are forced to use their tricks in order to help ambitious FBI agent Richie DiMaso (Cooper).

Featuring a fantastic cast and a darkly humorous script this is certainly one of the best movies of 2013, even if it doesn’t quite deliver fully on it initial set up.
  55. Jan 12, 2014
    The story is interesting and fun to move along with. A great cast, but the acting is at once overdone while at the same demonstrating flippant treatment of character. Whether this shortcoming is due to the actors themselves or the directing isn't clear. The script also proceeds along the lines of a Judd Apatow film, which works in some scenes but not in others. Overall this movie is wellThe story is interesting and fun to move along with. A great cast, but the acting is at once overdone while at the same demonstrating flippant treatment of character. Whether this shortcoming is due to the actors themselves or the directing isn't clear. The script also proceeds along the lines of a Judd Apatow film, which works in some scenes but not in others. Overall this movie is well put together but will likely not shine among the other outstanding films on which the actors, director, and screenwriters have worked. Expand
  56. Jan 19, 2014
    The film is chalk full of good performances, too bad they’re drowned out by weak storytelling, blathering dialog and an unsure sense of style.
    Bale, Cooper, Adams, Lawrence, Renner and the rest all give solid performances. Bale as the self-assured conman is as usual, methodical in his performance. Cooper is rightly over the top in his role as the overly self-involved FBI agent. Adams is rock solid, albeit Russell and the wardrobe department seem to think her cleavage should have top billing. Lawrence does her Silver Linings shtick and does it really well. Renner is wonderfully charismatic as the naïve corrupt mayor. And yet all these parts do not add up to a great or even a good movie.
    The poor storytelling that is on display in this film well, it wastes all the strength of its performances. The film is merely a series of events strung together to deliver the semblance of a story. The film starts of quickly enough, but quickly spirals out of control as the narration speeds through events and character development from one set piece to the next. The audience has no time to breathe or take in any of the atmosphere that Russell rushes through on his way to fill the tale with detail. Characters are introduced and then promptly discarded as if they were nothing more than set pieces (poor Michael Pena). Major events are set up that have the pacing of a teledrama, like the documentaries on crime you see while skipping through the history channel in the morning, albeit with a few **** more. It’s such a flurrying buzz of events and information presented in a disorganized fashion that by the end you’re not entirely sure what you’ve just sat through. Sure the story is all their, the pieces fit, but the elegance of the man who brought us The Fighter, Three Kings and such is nowhere to be seen. The narration does not help things, there are three different narrations and their used in an ad hoc manner as if they weren’t sure whether to use them or not, so instead they cut it down and sprinkled it down at random points throughout the film. All this combines to create an environment where even a great performance is easily lost to sloppy filmmaking. By mid-way through the film you realize, that you might be more interested in reading the Wikipedia article about the Abscam then actually finishing this meandering film.
    Lawrence’s manic energy is drowned out to make room for as much story as possible. Her character has no moments of connection; she is all energy all the time. There is no respite from her whimsy, she exits only to do bafflingly stupid things and is given no redemptive qualities. Lawrence does her best, and I can imagine a lot of her performance was left on the cutting room floor, but she can’t get over the fact that her character is nothing more than a means to an end, like the car that gets them from point A to point B. Renner fares little better as the nice but naïve mayor. His character is made to look like such an oaf you begin to wonder how he ever became a mayor of anything. These two are the main supporting cast so if they’re treated like furniture, imagine how the third tier cast is treated.
    Cooper and Bale are good in their roles, but their resolved to acting out specific scenes that rarely tie into the previous one. This makes it seem as if their performances are uneven and at time all over the place. By the end of it, the two seem to blend in as almost one character that could be interchangeable were it not for the hair styles. Russell should’ve look to The Town to see how it is that a film makes a clean cop look like the bad guy.
    Adams on the other hand is evidently trying and the camera pays her a lot of attention. Wait no sorry my mistake, it pays her breasts a lot of attention. Apparently the films wardrobe didn’t allow for a dress or shirt that didn’t show of her mammary glands. In a film like this, this kind of attire distracts from the performance, which I think was pretty good, but thanks to the camera’s constant focus on her **** or hair I can’t be sure. In fact this brings up a great way to Segway to the next point.
    With films dull, textbook like narrative structure one might be prone to dose of or possibly even turn of the movie and save yourself at least one hour that this movie robs you of. In my case that wasn’t the case, I strove to finish it even as my brain screamed at me to just read the Wikipedia article to see what happens. Thankfully I stayed which allowed me to experience the good part of the film. No not the end, that was just as boring as the start. No, I talk of the technical side and visual style of the film. The camera work is fantastic. As the camera flows and weaves through each set piece, it’s almost like floating through the film on a cloud. You find yourself ignoring the blathering dialogue and enjoying the picturesque view of the film.
    The art deco and cinematography both do a wonderful job, even if they falter once or twice. The glitz and glamour of the Abscam world is brought to vibrant light as the characters navigate their harrowing odyssey. The disco scene in particular is stunning to behold. The colours, the movement, the sound all match up perfectly. They almost make you forget that you’re watching a **** film. The only odd part about the deco style of the film is when they try to throw in some gritty realism. It instantly looks out of place and knocks you from the daze. The start of the disco scene is a prime example of this. It’s as if they are trying to be an ode to seventies style fog machine but winds up looking cheap.
    All said and done, the film is really just a montage of events padded to a two plus hour’s length. That or the film is really three hours long and was cut down without care for structure or pacing. The performances are good, but they are good enough to overlook the storytelling problems that painfully populate the screen. A film with tons of stuff happening, but lacking in tension. The Globes and the Academy might be giving Russell a pass, by I sure as hell won’t. But hey, at least it looks pretty.
    Oh and it has a pretty decent soundtrack.
  57. Jan 20, 2014
    Over-hyped but certainly good. The story is very intriguing but can feel drawn out to the point where you wonder if the film could do with being half an hour shorter, although trying to predict how it will end is enough to keep you watching anyway. The strongest point about American Hustle is the performances. Every one of the lead actors (Christian Bale, Amy Adams, Bradley Cooper, JeremyOver-hyped but certainly good. The story is very intriguing but can feel drawn out to the point where you wonder if the film could do with being half an hour shorter, although trying to predict how it will end is enough to keep you watching anyway. The strongest point about American Hustle is the performances. Every one of the lead actors (Christian Bale, Amy Adams, Bradley Cooper, Jeremy Renner, Jennifer Lawrence) plays their role to perfection and the interaction between them seems completely natural. The characters themselves are fantastic, each one providing reasons to love and hate them in equal measure which leaves you wondering whose side you want to be on throughout the film. Even so, there are quite a few scenes that seem obnoxiously drawn out and after a while you may start to wish the film would get to the point instead of indulging itself so much that it creates images of David O. Russell jacking one out to his own sense of self satisfaction.
    I can entirely understand why this is a front-runner for film of the year but if you're going to see it then bear in mind that you need an impressive attention span to fully enjoy it.
  58. Feb 8, 2014
    It's truly a rare occasion to have such prominent cast in one movie, each capable of a leading role on their own, the amalgamation of these talents, coupled with extraordinary directing, make American Hustle a deceptively dark yet charming comedy. In a commentary on how far people are willing to use others for own selfish purpose, these illustrious characters seduce, lie and cheat in anIt's truly a rare occasion to have such prominent cast in one movie, each capable of a leading role on their own, the amalgamation of these talents, coupled with extraordinary directing, make American Hustle a deceptively dark yet charming comedy. In a commentary on how far people are willing to use others for own selfish purpose, these illustrious characters seduce, lie and cheat in an orgy of deceit. It's ludicrous, self-deprecating while still able to be funnily relatable and thoroughly enjoyable.

American Hustle is a story of two con artists, Irving Rosenfeld (Christian Bale) and Sydney Prosse (Amy Adams), who make a living by setting up small fraud businesses. Unfortunately for them, they are caught red-handed by an FBI agent Richard DiMaso (Bradley Cooper). Now faced with heavy charges, both have no choice but to aid the agent in capturing more high profile targets. The operation soon becomes out of control as they try to manipulate increasing amount of victims and also outmaneuver each other, while dangerous and powerful men caught whiff of the sting operation.

Every time a scene plays out, the actors passionately perform at excellent caliber. Christian Bale transforms himself into almost a completely different person. He looks plumper, wears hair piece and struts with somewhat slouched posture, it's realistically impressive. He shows complacent cautious behavior to mask his sly ambitious side. I admittedly didn't recognize him at some points as he almost merges in the character. Bradley Cooper plays the suave agent, who is Irving's counterpart, brimming with confident and unbridled ambition. The way he portrays his character is explosively brazen, almost obsessively erratic in his endeavor.

Amy Adams as the role of sensual mistress, trademarked by how unwilling she is on wearing bra, has another persona as Edith, the supposed British lady. She shifts between the roles so convincingly, weaving layers of lies with great British accent; she may very well elude the audience. Jennifer Lawrence plays Irving's overly defensive, disturbed and near **** insane wife. She seems so broken with habitual reliance on dubious men, both using and being used by them. There is one scene where Adams and Lawrence loath each other with such malicious intensity, it's almost creepy to witness.

I like the addition of Louis C.K. as the reluctant cop and DiMaso's supervisor; he brings organic humor to the table, mostly on his own character’s expense. Jeremey Renner rocks a flamboyant haircut as the seemingly philanthropic mayor Carmine Polito. Sometimes Renner looks genuinely motivated to do good for his city, also rather too innocent to mingle with the rest of suspicious characters. Robert DeNiro, however, portrays an old mob boss, calculatingly dangerous in short time he's on-screen.

Every minute of the movie practically boasts high level of talent, they are simply captivating, even as they desperately claw their ways by forging fictional version of themselves. Director David O. Russell succeeds in presenting these talents in near over-the-top scenes, which are fairly ridiculous but will make audience can't help but feeling there's a glitter of glamor on them. The movie is clever of its use of twist, although characters' personal struggles are still the essence.

There lie few movies that can rival American Hustle in the quantity and quality of its actors. It weaves a fantastic gripping tale of fraudulence with colorful characters, dancing with the tune of greed.
  59. Mar 30, 2014
    AMERICAN HUSTLE has an impeachable cast, a 70s zeitgeist ambience (sterling soundtrack, hairstyling and wardrobe selections), a not-so-bulletproof script, but the film is nonetheless a hail of David O’Russell’s consistency in his endeavour of characters-centred dramedy, he relentlessly supplies improvisations for his actors to illicit their spontaneous interactions with maximum dynamism,AMERICAN HUSTLE has an impeachable cast, a 70s zeitgeist ambience (sterling soundtrack, hairstyling and wardrobe selections), a not-so-bulletproof script, but the film is nonetheless a hail of David O’Russell’s consistency in his endeavour of characters-centred dramedy, he relentlessly supplies improvisations for his actors to illicit their spontaneous interactions with maximum dynamism, meanwhile his slick camera mobility complements the narrative steadily with intentional oomph to woo the audience, a strategy functions unexpectedly well after the one-two punch THE FIGHTER (2010, 8/10) and SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK (2012, 7/10), now AMERICAN HUSTLE repeats the mojo, altogether ricochet him to the rarefied echelon of a three-times BEST DIRECTOR nominees, and an auteur status rosily awaits.

read the rest of my review at my blog "cinema omnivore", google it.
  60. Mar 5, 2014
    A great cast and an interesting story that keeps you entertained through out. It's one of few films with a 2 hour + run time that I actually did not mind sitting through.
  61. Mar 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Didn't have much of a good time with this movie. Its story is not interesting at all. I'm only giving 7 to it because of the actors, music and some of the dialogs. The ending is good, but the characters and the development of the trama are kind of boring. Expand
  62. Jan 10, 2014
    American Hustle has everything you'd want in a movie -- an interesting plot, a well-crafted film, and great acting. Amy Adams hasn't received much acclaim for her role here, having been largely over-shadowed by Jennifer Lawrence, but there are no weak performances here.
  63. Mar 22, 2014
    First things first....Christian Bale deserves the Oscar. He was Fantastic! All the characters are wonderful in this movie. Everybody is rally really good. Well acted and Directed. The story is good but not great. I wrote the opposite for Wold of Wall Street. The story could have been better and thats what help it back from perfection.
  64. Sep 2, 2014
    Another incredible ensemble from David O. Russell. He's once again taken a dark theme and somehow made it comedic. I applaud David O. Russell and his wonderful cast of bandits. Amy Adams and Jennifer Lawrence once again prove their worthiness.
  65. Dec 29, 2013
    Overall a very good movie with some top notch acting performances and a really good story and twist near the end. The film really hit the 70s atmosphere. The lead actors were all amazing; however, I personally didn't find Jennifer Lawrence all that convincing. She just doesn't seem to fit in overall and I feel like she over-acted her role. Just too flamboyant and over the top in all herOverall a very good movie with some top notch acting performances and a really good story and twist near the end. The film really hit the 70s atmosphere. The lead actors were all amazing; however, I personally didn't find Jennifer Lawrence all that convincing. She just doesn't seem to fit in overall and I feel like she over-acted her role. Just too flamboyant and over the top in all her scenes. The other actors were simply awesome. Expand
  66. Feb 4, 2014
    Despite its head-straching moments in this otherwise interesting plot, American Hustle is nostalgia with its brillant acting from the ensemble cast...
  67. Jan 2, 2014
    This movie is very well done and expertly charracter driven. All of the actors do an amazing job. That is where the slight problem occurs with this movie. The story struggles, they would build up a scenario (setting up Carmine) then something would change (Mob) and a whole new problem would arise without resolving anything. Really enjoyed it! Still gave it a 7 because its just below great.
  68. Jan 19, 2014
    Over hyped by the critics and to many awards/nominations. Lawrence/Adams are amazing! Cooper is Cooper...same character he always plays. I am not a fan of Russel. Great 70 's play-list and costumes.
  69. Jan 27, 2014
    Again, it's David O'Russel that saves this clumsy fairy tale. The cast was OK although i find Bradley Cooper and Jenifer Lawrence very annoying and not interesting in general. I even felt real chemistry between Bale and Adams (and Adams was sooooo beautiful in this film).
  70. Jan 20, 2014
    A very entertaining movie. Good story, well written and well acted. I thought as I watched that it was not that good but as the movie ended and after I left the theater I reflected and found it to be a pretty good movie. Well worth the price of the ticket.
  71. Jan 15, 2014
    At the end of the film, I felt like starting a chant, "overrrated!". That's exactly how I felt about American Hustle after watching it, even though, I enjoyed it at times. The film seems to be garnering lots of praise because it has several actors and a director working in their prime (David O. Russell, Jennifer Lawrence, Bradley Cooper, Christian Bale, and Amy Adams). The acting isAt the end of the film, I felt like starting a chant, "overrrated!". That's exactly how I felt about American Hustle after watching it, even though, I enjoyed it at times. The film seems to be garnering lots of praise because it has several actors and a director working in their prime (David O. Russell, Jennifer Lawrence, Bradley Cooper, Christian Bale, and Amy Adams). The acting is definitely good, as is the directing (good acting usually requires good directing), but the story is subpar. It is quite clear that Russel and his writing team were going for a Scorsese type feel to the movie, given all the voice over narratives, and at times manic flow to the film. Russel, should however, take notes next time he watches a Scorese film because although Scorsese's movies bounce around at times, their always coherent; the same can;t be said for Russel's American Hustle. There was something to like or enjoy in just about every scene of Hustle, but I rarely ever knew what was going on. Also, it was hard for me to connect to any of the characters because there was no character development done. It seems like the point Russel was going for, was that the characters are all conning each other, so the film in a way is conning the viewers and keeping them on the edge on their seats. That just didn't work for me. I absolutely loved Silver Linings Playbook, so I was excited to see American Hustle, it's too bad the film was just average. Expand
  72. Jan 26, 2014
    Fun to watch with a great director David O. Russell, phenomenal cast Jennifer Lawrence, Christian Bale, Bradley Cooper, Amy Adams, Louis C.K. and Jeremy Renner, very successful production design, hair styles and costumes.Script may be a little bit weak but they did a great job, especially Jennifer Lawrence as Irving's manic but sexy wife Rosalyn.
  73. Mar 25, 2014
    Solid movie, a lil long and disjointed, but VERY little. This is a GREAT movie, it'll really get cha 'rooting' and saying verbals like "oh yeah!", "that's right", "OMG OMG!". The only complaint is the ending, the end twist is what disjoints the movie, its an EXTREMELY small twist, that doesn't start developing till LONG after the plot has run its course. The main complaint with the endSolid movie, a lil long and disjointed, but VERY little. This is a GREAT movie, it'll really get cha 'rooting' and saying verbals like "oh yeah!", "that's right", "OMG OMG!". The only complaint is the ending, the end twist is what disjoints the movie, its an EXTREMELY small twist, that doesn't start developing till LONG after the plot has run its course. The main complaint with the end twist, is how predictable and boring it is, it also gets right down corny at the VERY end. The ending brings a top notch 9/10 or even 10/10 movie, down to a 8/10. GREAT movie though, a must see, for movie lovers. Expand
  74. Jun 1, 2014
    A whole bunch of good actors playing interesting characters with clear motivation. I've read that the director cared about the characters more than about the story, so he let them improvise, and that's really great! The story is pretty slow though and some interesting events start to happen only in the second half of the movie.
  75. Feb 6, 2014
    This is truly a great film. David O. Russel takes a film that easily could have gone into pulp, era film, but his direction and screenplay (with Eric Singer) manages to make a film that is very entertaining, and great. Bradley Cooper is amazing, as is Christian Bale, Amy Adams, Jennifer Lawrence, and Jeremy Renner turns in one of his most memorable performances since "the Town." Whilst IThis is truly a great film. David O. Russel takes a film that easily could have gone into pulp, era film, but his direction and screenplay (with Eric Singer) manages to make a film that is very entertaining, and great. Bradley Cooper is amazing, as is Christian Bale, Amy Adams, Jennifer Lawrence, and Jeremy Renner turns in one of his most memorable performances since "the Town." Whilst I feel that this film is not as good as Silver Linings Playbook, it is still a great film, and David O. Russel goes 3 for 3, with 3 of the best films in recent years under his direction. I can't wait for his next film. Expand
  76. Jul 13, 2014
    I'm just scratching my head looking at these comments complaining how silly and over the top everything was.
    Um, you people are aware this is a comedy, right? In the words of the Joker: "Why so serious?"
  77. Feb 22, 2014
    An impossibly well-performed, skillfully written, and nimbly shot comedic drama, "American Hustle" is yet another quirky success for David O. Russell.
  78. Mar 4, 2014
    American Hustle has a slow, dragging style, which explains why I gave up the first time I watched it before it reached the half hour mark. It felt like the film was trying too hard to create a story, and all the characters felt archetype. But the movie does pick up and become somewhat interesting after that. Though the character motivations are never explored, we get to see the differentAmerican Hustle has a slow, dragging style, which explains why I gave up the first time I watched it before it reached the half hour mark. It felt like the film was trying too hard to create a story, and all the characters felt archetype. But the movie does pick up and become somewhat interesting after that. Though the character motivations are never explored, we get to see the different sides of them which make them all human.

The plot is simple yet complex, but what it never is intriguing enough. Some con-men are coerced by the FBI into setting up members of the Congress and the Mafia. They must find a way to do the job without being targeted by them afterwards and yet not get incarcerated.

Irving Rosenfeld (Christian Bale) is an ageing swindler who has a nice steady income through his various clandestine operations. Things get messy for him when he comes across Edith Greensly (Amy Adams), for he has a wife Rosalyn (Jennifer Lawrence) who can create a lot of trouble for him if she isn't kept happy. Richard (Bradley Cooper) is the agent who deals directly with him. He is clever and ambitious and selfish, but mostly is a liability who more often than not gets in their way and creates complications as they try to complete their job assigned to them by the agency. Carmine Polito (Jeremy Renner) is the mayor who is fooled into joining the team in helping the FBI bring down the politicians and the mobsters.

I felt like the nominations in the categories of acting were undeserved. On the contrary I'm of the opinion that Renner should have been recognized instead of the underwhelming performance given by Cooper. Sure Bale did a good enough job, and he felt like he worked for the role, with his hair and body fat. Adams, in addition to showing a lot of skin, showed another side of her which I believe I had not seen before. She certainly felt like a better actress.

The art department did a commendable job. The hairstyles, costumes, cars, and room interiors were convincing enough. What was lacking was a plot which would have matched the effort put into bringing the 70s era onto the screen. I was amused by some of the characterization, yet was waiting for over the top humour or insight into the business or a plot twist or something. Sadly there was little if not nothing that blew my mind. Other movies have done the job required of a period piece equally well and fallen to pieces without the support of a strong story but this film was spared that fate because of the names of the cast and director. Rush would have been a better consideration for the category of Best Picture. At least it succeeded in entertaining the hell out of me as well as showing the 1970s.

It wasn't especially a bad movie, just not something I would have liked nominated for the top prize. It was way over-hyped, and left a bad taste in my mouth when within ten minutes of starting copied Goodfellas in dual voice-over.
  79. Jan 12, 2014
    Ehh. It's good but it does not come close to knocking it out of the park as critics would have you believe. It was entirely watchable and I enjoyed it, but it was a step down from silver linings playbook. It's worth going to see, but I didn't find it particularly special.
  80. Jan 18, 2014
    I was looking forward to this film and i wasnt dissapointed the film was great. The acting was great and the story was interesting it and there was even some bits of comedy that blended well with the serious stuff was overall a great movie 8/10
  81. Apr 7, 2014
    I liked this film a lot (at least compared to the other crap in 2013-14). The acting was great. Amy Adams and Christian Bale were very good....you cared about the characters in this movie, which is more than I can say about others (Gravity, Grand Budapest, even Wolf of Wall st). The ending was great too. There was humor interspersed, but not overly done for a drama. I went into thisI liked this film a lot (at least compared to the other crap in 2013-14). The acting was great. Amy Adams and Christian Bale were very good....you cared about the characters in this movie, which is more than I can say about others (Gravity, Grand Budapest, even Wolf of Wall st). The ending was great too. There was humor interspersed, but not overly done for a drama. I went into this with low expectations, thinking it was over-hyped, but I enjoyed it. Better than Wolf of Wall St, which I also enjoyed. Expand
  82. Mar 22, 2014
    American Hustle is a vigorously accomplished, and impressively stylized film. It's funny, it's full of twists, and it's undeniably alive. David O. Russell has absolutely perfected his directing style, and has cemented a spot among the top talents in the business. The screenplay is just incredibly well written. The actors are all either at the top of, or over the top of their game.American Hustle is a vigorously accomplished, and impressively stylized film. It's funny, it's full of twists, and it's undeniably alive. David O. Russell has absolutely perfected his directing style, and has cemented a spot among the top talents in the business. The screenplay is just incredibly well written. The actors are all either at the top of, or over the top of their game. Nearly every performance is shockingly good, even by the standards of this ensemble. The one I was most impressed with had to be Bale. His character was so far removed from his usual roles that at times I just had to laugh in astonished disbelief for how strange it was to see him like this. If I have any complaints about the movie they are few and far between. In the first act some lines are hard to hear, and some scenes can get pretty skanky. Other than that, it's great. In 2013, which was one of the best film years ever, American Hustle just might have been the best movie of the year. Expand
  83. Jan 28, 2014
    [8.8] This film might prove a bit tedious or underwhelming to those who can't appreciate the nostalgia, but even beyond its impeccable depiction of the late 70's, it's a smart, funny con story, with a solidly entertaining plot, and tremendous characters. Jennifer Lawrence also has a career best performance, and Christian Bale is almost unidentifiable. Louis C.K. also does incredibly well[8.8] This film might prove a bit tedious or underwhelming to those who can't appreciate the nostalgia, but even beyond its impeccable depiction of the late 70's, it's a smart, funny con story, with a solidly entertaining plot, and tremendous characters. Jennifer Lawrence also has a career best performance, and Christian Bale is almost unidentifiable. Louis C.K. also does incredibly well in a dramatic role, and even Amy Adams delivers an unusually great performance (not to say she isn't good in other roles). Despite its few flaws and slight tedium, it's all around a pretty great movie. Expand
  84. Feb 19, 2014
    I agree, it can sound like any mafia movie made​​, but the subtle and solid direction from David can make Hustle, a film with personality, people can say O. Russell is not a good director, but as the movie goes, you forget that someone is driving everything, and that's one of the greatest assets for a director. There are people there, they are affected, and you feel it, not to mention theI agree, it can sound like any mafia movie made​​, but the subtle and solid direction from David can make Hustle, a film with personality, people can say O. Russell is not a good director, but as the movie goes, you forget that someone is driving everything, and that's one of the greatest assets for a director. There are people there, they are affected, and you feel it, not to mention the fact that it is incredibly fun. Expand
  85. Jan 16, 2014
    Whether you try to unravel the titular hustle's plot yourself or you just wait for it to be revealed, it's altogether very entertaining and fast-paced. The all star cast lives up to expectations, with, in my opinion, Bale, Renner , and Amy Adams giving out the best performances. Bradley Cooper blurbs as if he's still acting in Silver Linings, all fast and repeating the same sentence overWhether you try to unravel the titular hustle's plot yourself or you just wait for it to be revealed, it's altogether very entertaining and fast-paced. The all star cast lives up to expectations, with, in my opinion, Bale, Renner , and Amy Adams giving out the best performances. Bradley Cooper blurbs as if he's still acting in Silver Linings, all fast and repeating the same sentence over and over, but that's okay. It also has a spectacular soundtrack (though not so much adherent to the time setting: we are in 1978 and the soundtrack sounds more like '72) and there's nothing pretentious about the film, as some have suggested.

All in all, it's fun to watch, it's well acted, it's well scored, it's well written. What else is there?
  86. Apr 23, 2014
    I finally watched this movie on Blu-Ray today. No need to recap the many, many comments already made. Suffice to say, in my opinion, that the performances, by an excellent cast, were more over-the-top than seemed necessary. I grew weary of all of the shouting. In summary, "American Hustle" was about 30 minutes too long.
  87. Feb 10, 2014
    "American Hustle" offers us mixed sensations. I can't stop to think how would be this film if Scorsese had directed it. I think David O. Russell is overrated. Although cast ensemble is amazing. Amy Adams and Jennifer Lawrence are wonderful.
  88. Mar 25, 2014
    Fantastic film! Enjoyed this movie throughly from start to finish! Christian Bale gives a brilliant performance that easily rivals that of his work in Out of the Furnace! He is joined by an incredible supporting cast that includes Bradley Cooper, Jeremy Rehner, Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence, Amy Adams and Robert De Niro! All of whom do phenomenal work! Last but definitely not least,Fantastic film! Enjoyed this movie throughly from start to finish! Christian Bale gives a brilliant performance that easily rivals that of his work in Out of the Furnace! He is joined by an incredible supporting cast that includes Bradley Cooper, Jeremy Rehner, Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence, Amy Adams and Robert De Niro! All of whom do phenomenal work! Last but definitely not least, the story is incredible! It has an excellent twist at the end that was completely perfect and end up being exactly how you wanted it all to end! Don't listen to the people who tell you this movie is boring, it is truly one of the best films of the year and if you don't give it a chance you will really be doing yourself a disservice! Expand
  89. Sep 29, 2014
    It is something out of the common. 'American Hustle' turns out to be my top favorite of the year-maybe of ALL time. It is great! Uncommonly hilarious and contagious. The best picture of 2013!
  90. Nov 17, 2014
    American Hustle is one of the funnest films I've seen in a long time and it's my favourite David O. Russell film to date. This film reminded me very much of Quentin Tarantino's 'Jackie Brown'. As crime drama's go neither of them are particularly groundbreaking. But as stylish and vibrant pieces of filmmaking they are both thoroughly enjoyable experiences. David O. Russell's overallAmerican Hustle is one of the funnest films I've seen in a long time and it's my favourite David O. Russell film to date. This film reminded me very much of Quentin Tarantino's 'Jackie Brown'. As crime drama's go neither of them are particularly groundbreaking. But as stylish and vibrant pieces of filmmaking they are both thoroughly enjoyable experiences. David O. Russell's overall direction is solid and visually he captures the 70's with style and elegance. The whole cast is superb but Christian Bale is the standout and he reinvents himself once more. Jennifer Lawrence hilariously steals every single scene and Amy Adams, Bradley Cooper & Jeremy Renner are all great too. And Louis C.K is a worthy mention also. The styling and soundtrack play a major part in bringing the 70's to life and there's some great tracks from the likes of ELO, Donna Summer, Elton John, The Bee Gee's & Wings. There's certainly a lot of fun to be had and revisit with American Hustle. Expand
  91. Feb 23, 2014
    After making great fighter and The Silver Linnings Playbook that helped in the total image transformation director, David O.Russel reaches the apex of his career doing his hilarious, daring, and ambitious film about the reinvention of the human being and the necessity of such a cheat to live with the minimum of dignity, and he tells it through fine performances ranging from soft-spokenAfter making great fighter and The Silver Linnings Playbook that helped in the total image transformation director, David O.Russel reaches the apex of his career doing his hilarious, daring, and ambitious film about the reinvention of the human being and the necessity of such a cheat to live with the minimum of dignity, and he tells it through fine performances ranging from soft-spoken characters we all know that one hour will explode, the ones who are always on ecxtase and his screen presence is striking, in a reverent, slow but very fun and compensatory what makes you think without guilt contrary to another strong oscar nominated 12 years a slave history. Expand
  92. Jan 26, 2014
    Unfortunately, I was so excited to see the new movie of David O.Russel, but I did not enjoyed it at all! I did not like the story and the acting(only Amy Adams worth it and always Christian Bale). Jeniffer Lawrence was pretty good, but is that all she can act? A crazy, depressed woman? I think not. Bradly's Cooper was really extravagance, almost annoying. Anyway, i got bored really soon.Unfortunately, I was so excited to see the new movie of David O.Russel, but I did not enjoyed it at all! I did not like the story and the acting(only Amy Adams worth it and always Christian Bale). Jeniffer Lawrence was pretty good, but is that all she can act? A crazy, depressed woman? I think not. Bradly's Cooper was really extravagance, almost annoying. Anyway, i got bored really soon. The directing and the mood/atmosphere of the 70s was amazing,but that was all. There was not any deeper point in this film. O. Russel is a very talented director, but i think he made a mistake! Next time! Definitely not a movie for an Oscar, maybe in Costume Design! Expand
  93. Jan 11, 2014
    American Hustle will hustle your heart away. Everybody is out to be their better selves and in a way they all succeed with a few minor short comings. I adored the acting and the characters displayed in the film, but as with O. Russells last effort Silver Linings, i did not really care for the characters. I felt this film was much more entertaining than Silver Linings and it was worth theAmerican Hustle will hustle your heart away. Everybody is out to be their better selves and in a way they all succeed with a few minor short comings. I adored the acting and the characters displayed in the film, but as with O. Russells last effort Silver Linings, i did not really care for the characters. I felt this film was much more entertaining than Silver Linings and it was worth the watch and should win some awards. Expand
  94. May 25, 2014
    From David O. Russell the director of The Fighter and Silver Linings Playbook brings us a "some what true stroy" of A FBI operation that took place in the late 1970's to early 80s. Irving Rosenfeld (Bale) and Sydney Prosser (Adams) are two con artist that end up being forced to work for the FBI (Cooper) to help them set up a operation to take down all the corrupt politicians and mayor ofFrom David O. Russell the director of The Fighter and Silver Linings Playbook brings us a "some what true stroy" of A FBI operation that took place in the late 1970's to early 80s. Irving Rosenfeld (Bale) and Sydney Prosser (Adams) are two con artist that end up being forced to work for the FBI (Cooper) to help them set up a operation to take down all the corrupt politicians and mayor of New Jersey. The cast is amazing of course with all these stars it would be hard for a movie not be great. The Dialog was fantastic it felt real and that's when you know there is good chemistry between all the actors.

Overall though the movie was too bloated for me it felt like the whole time it was one step forward two steps back. A lot of scenes that you can tell have nothing to do with the story other then just to have more character drama. The ending was great though maybe if the movie was about 10-15 minutes shorter then it could have been something great. I give it a 7.3 I don't see how the film is being loved so much people need to get past the eye candy look through all the BS filler and see what the movie really is.
  95. Jan 5, 2014
    American Hustle has a continuous flow of energy that keeps you captivated and wanting more. All the performances are good, especially Ms. Lawrence's; her character has such self-pride and a way of putting the blame on everyone else that she becomes the comic relief to almost every scene she's in.
  96. Feb 7, 2014
    El director David O. Russell está en su estado más puro, primero The Fighter, luego Silver Linings Playbook, ahora es el turno de premiar a American Hustle, por ser valiente y original. La película ofrece una trama completamente original e interesante, y de momentos, muy entretenida diversión con tintes de comedia. La puesta en época es excelente, el vestuario es magistral y merece unEl director David O. Russell está en su estado más puro, primero The Fighter, luego Silver Linings Playbook, ahora es el turno de premiar a American Hustle, por ser valiente y original. La película ofrece una trama completamente original e interesante, y de momentos, muy entretenida diversión con tintes de comedia. La puesta en época es excelente, el vestuario es magistral y merece un Oscar, pero lo mejor de esta película fueron las actuaciones, todas y cada una es perfecta (destaco más sobre Christian Bale y Jennifer Lawrence). Si disfrutas del buen cine o el cine ganador, debes ir corriendo a ver esta película, no los decepcionará. Expand
  97. May 6, 2014
    Critics are wrong sometimes but why do they thought this film terrific, this film is bad, tge unic thing that saves this film are the actings and im not talking about the not so good at this film jennifer lawrence.
  98. Jan 22, 2014
    What makes this movie unique is the concentration on the characters which reveals to us their complexity by providing general but deep qualities on each character that allows us to go deeper and conclude more characteristics on these tremendous characters which makes them even more real. Everyone stuck in his own bubble which is holding him/her from moving on and enjoying life. Both mainWhat makes this movie unique is the concentration on the characters which reveals to us their complexity by providing general but deep qualities on each character that allows us to go deeper and conclude more characteristics on these tremendous characters which makes them even more real. Everyone stuck in his own bubble which is holding him/her from moving on and enjoying life. Both main characters in search for something that will help them get over they're problems which is love. One enjoying what he does, meeting another who's running away from his past and saving her life only to get into more trouble. Throughout this movie, various stories are taking place at once, with various characters who are dying to make a change in their life. American Hustle is mainly about the characters (and that's why the four actors are nominated for the Oscars) also showing us various layers of that society at that time...One of the best movies this year. Expand
  99. Dec 28, 2013
    "American Hustle" looks like a really fun romp. The fact that it's by the same man who did "Silver Linings Playbook" tells you that this movie is going to be great.
  100. Jan 18, 2014
    Can I just start with - how the hell are people giving this film bad reviews? People saying it was boring, no thrills? Completely wrong. If you are planning to watch this movie, do it. Do not listen to people who have given negative feedback towards it, because it deserves nothing but positive feedback. It is a brilliant film.

The four main characters - Irving (Bale), Sydney (Adams),

The four main characters - Irving (Bale), Sydney (Adams), Richie (Cooper) and Rosalyn (Lawrence), and you could argue the Mayor is a main character as well, are all brilliant. Great acting. There's something you should like about each one of them, as well as something you won't like. And I especially liked Jennifer Lawrence, we probably all know her best from 'The Hunger Games', and her change of character is amazing, she was one of my favourite actresses already, now my opinion of her is even better, she's just brilliant!

What I love about this film the most though, is how it is very thrilling at times, then occasionally O. Russell drops in little scenes which are actually really funny, similar to one of his previous films - Silver Linings Playbook. If you have a good sense of humour, you should get a few laughs from this, which is great since it's not even a comedy film.

I could go on and on with why the film is so great, but that would spoil the plot, so overall, the story is brilliant, watch it.

I couldn't give the film a 10 though, just because of a few very minor problems I had with it. This probably isn't something you should complain about really, but it did run on a little longer than it should have. Its only a little over 2 hours, but it felt much longer than that, and they could have easily shortened it down a bit and the film would have been just as good. Also, no matter what age you have or how intelligent you are, it can be quite hard to follow at times, you really need to pay attention or you'll be lost. Maybe this isn't a disadvantage for some, as maybe some people like to think about the film whilst watching, but I prefer to be able to sit down, relax and enjoy it. But, don't let this put you off from watching it, as you'll still be able to pick up a lot of things, and you'll understand the overall story.

1. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Dec 24, 2013
    Like everyone else in Russell's cast, Lawrence appears to be having a blast in the role. It's downright contagious.
  2. Reviewed by: Andrew O'Hehir
    Dec 21, 2013
    A work of tremendous confidence and dazzling showmanship that may just be a delirious movie-as-drug-high or may, if you choose to read it this way, contain a level of commentary about the nature of America and the illusioneering of Hollywood.
    The movie is a slot machine that never stops spitting quarters.