4.8

1. LuisFranciscoG.P.
    Apr 9, 2001
    One of the finest pieces of art from Mexico to the world.
  2. RyanM.
    Oct 13, 2001
    At first I found it interesting, daring and smart, then I found it better, and better, and better until it's one of the best movies I've ever seen.
  3. JPW
    Jul 6, 2006
    A great movie that catches your attention for all the two-and-a-half hours that it's long. It captures the three sad stories in such a beautiful, melancholic, aesthetic way For me, all the blood and violence is part of that aestheticness. The movie seems to breathe the town, the atmosphere is conveyed great with, the people, upper class and lower. One of the best movies I've ever seen.
  4. JamesB.
    Apr 22, 2001
    Great acting, emontionally intense, heavy.
  5. JorgeG.
    Apr 6, 2001
    Excellent movie. You don't want to miss this one. Great sample of the good movies that can be done in Mexico.
  6. Rick
    Aug 14, 2002
    The owner of a neighbourhood video store recommended this to me. I havent seen a film that impressed me this much since i first say jan svankmayer's "Alice". thoroughly engaging the 2 hours plus flew by.
  7. MartaF.
    Mar 31, 2001
    So good the soundtrack gives me goosebumps.
  8. Tony
    Apr 17, 2001
    YOU must see this amazing film. You will enjoy it.
  9. JuliusM.
    Jul 8, 2001
    THE best movie I have seen this year, truly my vote for best foreing film. A work of art that is truly magnificent.
  10. JuliusM.
    Jul 8, 2001
  11. PaulaW.
    Nov 12, 2001
    Amores Perros is easily the best film of 2001. It's got it all in spades: action, desperate love, complacent love, family drama, drawing-room drama, devastation, punk-rock alienation, tragedy, violence, dark humor, and social commentary, all looking good on screen. But Amores Perros is more than just a glib compilation of 90's movie tricks. It's also full of heart. I Amores Perros is easily the best film of 2001. It's got it all in spades: action, desperate love, complacent love, family drama, drawing-room drama, devastation, punk-rock alienation, tragedy, violence, dark humor, and social commentary, all looking good on screen. But Amores Perros is more than just a glib compilation of 90's movie tricks. It's also full of heart. I can't remember the last time I saw so much genuine emotion in a film. Don't miss it. Expand
    Oct 18, 2001
    Great Amazing Movie!!!
  13. ItIsGilbertMulroneycakes
    Nov 14, 2003
    Avert your eyes or press fast-forward during all the dog-fighting bits, or indeed the bits which merely show dogs bleeding copiously. This is Not Nice. But it's a masterpiece - I know it's as glib as all-get-out, but it really is the Mexican Pulp Fiction - partly because it's a similar type of film (the criss-cross structure, the occasional violence, the amoral characters, Avert your eyes or press fast-forward during all the dog-fighting bits, or indeed the bits which merely show dogs bleeding copiously. This is Not Nice. But it's a masterpiece - I know it's as glib as all-get-out, but it really is the Mexican Pulp Fiction - partly because it's a similar type of film (the criss-cross structure, the occasional violence, the amoral characters, the earthy, fruity language etc) but also because it's in the same class - which is a good trick if you can do it - and because it's also a startlingly original early work (in this case, debut, in fact - which, is incredible to look at it) by a filmmaker who knows exactly what he wants to do, what he wants to show and what he wants to make and f**k anyone else. Credit where it's due though; unlike QT, Iñárritu didn't write it himself, and Guillermo Arriaga Jórdan deserves credit for keeping all the threads together in a coherent fashion. Not for everyone, mind - for a start its length (two and a half hours, and then some more minutes) will be off-putting for some, for a second the warning below is not a word of a lie - horrible things happen to (presumably pretend) dogs in this film, and you may not be able to stomach it. That said, I'm surprised not to read a single review balling it out for the ihnerently skippable and in no way gratuitous violence yet. Still, those caveats out of the way, Amores Perros is a brutal, mesmerising masterpiece from a filmaker (and screenwriter) who, if there is the remotest amount of justice in this god-forsaken world, will be bigger than curly fries by the end of the decade. Please? Just don't watch it if you have a dog. Or want one. Or know what one looks like. And to avoid fainting, keep repeating, "It's only a movie, it's only a movie." Jolly. Expand
  14. NikolaL.
    Jan 19, 2006
    Writer speaks from essential to embrace absurd. Never saw movie that perfect.
  15. MattA.
    Aug 24, 2006
    Easily the best film of 2001, and, as some critics have indicated, one of the finest films of all time. The performances, writing, direction, and choice of music are all flawless. It was sad to see this same filmmaker try to create a similar masterpiece with 21 Grams, and mostly fail. If you didn't like that film, still give this one a chance. It truly is amazing.
  16. SantinoS.
    Mar 9, 2003
    For a debut feature, this is a brilliant film. Heavily inspired by "Pulp Fiction,"this is a gritty urban drama about people living on the edge.deserved the oscar for best foreign film.A WARNING THOUGH, DOG LOVERS COULD DIE OF SHOCK WHILE WATCHING THIS ,SO TAKE CARE.
  17. LynnB.
    May 21, 2001
    Brilliant. It got a 9 instead of 10 because it could have been a tad shorter, and the slow parts might have been handled better. I'd have gone for 9.5, if that had been a choice.
  18. Larry
    Feb 23, 2002
    This movie nails you in place and doesn't let go. It's a gritty view of how brutal life can be once prompted by either fate or human behavior. The characters are not sympathetic yet you'll find yourself mesmerized by their actions and attempts to survive the sorry circumstances they stumble into or create for themselves. You'll stick around for the movie's two and This movie nails you in place and doesn't let go. It's a gritty view of how brutal life can be once prompted by either fate or human behavior. The characters are not sympathetic yet you'll find yourself mesmerized by their actions and attempts to survive the sorry circumstances they stumble into or create for themselves. You'll stick around for the movie's two and one half hour length because you'll want to see what happens to the film's unsavory characters, and because the story is told so well. Expand
  19. Oct 20, 2015
    Amores Perros es perfecta, una obra de culto increíble y visualmente espectacular y con una historia y unos personajes muy bien desarrollados, la obra maestra que le dio el reconocimiento mundial a Alejandro Gonzalez Iñarritu es perfecta, única y original. Es como Pulp Fiction, pero en México.
  20. Redlight
    Jun 5, 2007
    Although I still feel this movie is great, it's a movie best appreciated when you're watching it for the very first time. On repeated viewings, although it is still great, it just isn't as rewarding. Still, great performances from the cast and brutally realistic.
  21. FredS.
    May 22, 2001
    Good but not great. Too long in the middle. Still, check it out.
  22. Jan 7, 2011
    Touching story. Brilliant idea of the three stories. The accident episode is the key of the movie. It keeps you alert till the end. The third story was the most beautiful to me.
  23. Mar 31, 2012
    Certainly, a very good movie! Although one of the stories (the one of the model and the dog) was not very credible and seemed a bit forced; as a whole, the movie works well. The first time I watched this film the impression I got from it was not very positive; however, I am happy I watched it again, because I understood if from a totally different perspective, while the first time I did,Certainly, a very good movie! Although one of the stories (the one of the model and the dog) was not very credible and seemed a bit forced; as a whole, the movie works well. The first time I watched this film the impression I got from it was not very positive; however, I am happy I watched it again, because I understood if from a totally different perspective, while the first time I did, I was perhaps overly critical. I do recommend the movie! It is intense, endearing, powerful, and at times, brutal...but watching is was a rewarding experience, just the same!...Amores Perros definitely had a huge potential to be even more than what it was... Expand
  24. ButteredPopcorn
    Nov 1, 2002
    A bit too violent for me. Seemed very daring and very raw, innovative, and all the rest. But I just couldn't watch it more than about half way through. What a shame.
  25. Jeremy
    Sep 29, 2003
    An good film with some brilliant moments. If Inarritu learned the value of an editor, it might have been more than that.
  26. Apr 6, 2015
    This film is a serious take on the hyperlink genre, focusing more on social disparity than the titular love: although the three episodes take place in the same city, we see three essentially unrelated stories that could well have been set in three different countries. There are snippets of great cinema, with influences clearly ranging from 50s-60s neorealism to 90's heist films -This film is a serious take on the hyperlink genre, focusing more on social disparity than the titular love: although the three episodes take place in the same city, we see three essentially unrelated stories that could well have been set in three different countries. There are snippets of great cinema, with influences clearly ranging from 50s-60s neorealism to 90's heist films - technically, the film is a great one: camera work, cinematography, writing, editing and soundtrack are all spot on. The only downfall, I found, was the fact that although yes, it is hyperlink, and yes, the episodes are somewhat connected, Amores perros still feels very distinctly trifold.

Apart from this, the movie is good and is certainly one of the best in its genre. Also, comparisons to Pulp Fiction don't really make sense, since Pulp Fiction was written with a humorous intent, while Amores perros is extremely serious and doesn't ever provide comedy at all.

1. A stunner: a fiercely brilliant film of such wrenching impact, nonstop drive and unpredictability that watching it becomes an exhilarating ride.
    There's something overly studied, almost clinical, in how it all pulls together.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Clark
    The gritty, Oscar-nominated "Traffic" is a limo ride compared with the bloodletting in this year's foreign-film nominee from Mexico.