8.0

1. Apr 10, 2014
    "Amreeka", Cherien Dabis directorial debut, has fantastic story, strong heroine and strong messages. It is really unbiased to neither Palestinian's nor Americans, but instead shows the contrast and the difference between both traditions, which is really bold. Moreover, it never feels to keep you interested in the character development, in which all characters live in a stereotypical"Amreeka", Cherien Dabis directorial debut, has fantastic story, strong heroine and strong messages. It is really unbiased to neither Palestinian's nor Americans, but instead shows the contrast and the difference between both traditions, which is really bold. Moreover, it never feels to keep you interested in the character development, in which all characters live in a stereotypical country. "Amreeka" is a heart warming experience, filled with Superb performances and a great laughs. It is not that easy a film earns a full rating, this one actually does! Expand
  2. Mari
    Sep 8, 2009
    Amreeka is genius not only because it offers the viewer a glimpse into the real life struggle of immigrants attempting to make in America, but also because it provides the necessary elements to draw the viewer in and entertain them- no matter what their background may be. Dealing with very serious elements such as the aftermath of the invasion of Iraq and the conflicts in the middle east Amreeka is genius not only because it offers the viewer a glimpse into the real life struggle of immigrants attempting to make in America, but also because it provides the necessary elements to draw the viewer in and entertain them- no matter what their background may be. Dealing with very serious elements such as the aftermath of the invasion of Iraq and the conflicts in the middle east is no easy task, but Cherien Dabis was able to do so in an optimistic and honest manner. Showing the reality of the human condition in a very humorous and real way. Yes, I was left with a better understanding of Arab-Americans and their struggles. But more importantly I was entertained and moved by the strong ensemble of characters and humbled by their struggle. At the end of it all, I felt that the film educated me, and thoroughly entertained me. I would highly recommend this to everyone. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Simon Kinnear
    Jan 25, 2015
    The culture clash comedy cleaves to predictability but the story’s specificity sustains its perceptive look at the human impact of post-9/11 jingoism.
    When most filmmakers want to say something important about cultural conflicts, they labor to bring tears to our eyes. Dabis, by contrast, makes us laugh at ourselves and, in turn, each other.
  3. Dabis, a Palestinian-American, has thoroughly re-energized the genre with refreshing wit, honest emotions, incisive observations and a perfect cast.