7.3

1. Aug 19, 2011
    A big disappointment for me. I saw nothing new, interesting or exciting. I was not taken deeply into any chracther's inner life and I found the story about the second Earth totally irrelevant. Maybe, I was having a bad day, but I cannot recommend this film. I had to laugh when she seduces the older male and he has no idea why or who she might be. That was total bs!
  2. Oct 30, 2011
    Originally I was quite interested in this film, but now having finally seen it I can say that I am greatly disappointed. The two main characters in my opinion were both dull and inattentive to the greater importances in life. Although I do understand the need for some metaphorical drivel, the "second earth" could not have been more neglected. If directors really want to craft this sort ofOriginally I was quite interested in this film, but now having finally seen it I can say that I am greatly disappointed. The two main characters in my opinion were both dull and inattentive to the greater importances in life. Although I do understand the need for some metaphorical drivel, the "second earth" could not have been more neglected. If directors really want to craft this sort of tragedy story, I suggest choosing something a lot less extraordinary to accompany it. Things of such great importance and intrigue are never served proper justice and I find that irritating. Barely a film worthy of a recommendation, also considering how hard it was for me to find it. Expand
  3. Dec 7, 2011
    The "other Earth" served only as a subliminal feature in the film. Slow paced. Inconsistent. In the end, "another Earth" came off as just "another" uniquely disappointing film.
  4. Nov 28, 2011
    "Another Earth" is a slow drama that revolves around a tragedy. This is an important point since the title and cover may give a different impression. There is little science-fiction; the other earth is mostly a side note and a catalyst for some speculative discussions in the film.

I found the film interesting, but overly slow and artsy. By the end I was looking forward to the film coming to an end, only to have it end where I wanted it to continue! Still, it was a thought-provoking finish that is perhaps best left for speculation.

The acting is decent, but does fall flat at times. It definitely has the look and feel of a low-budget indie film, so it may not be for everyone.
  5. Oct 29, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is boring. I found myself looking at other things on the internet and wondering when or if something would happen in this film. The best parts of the movie are the "homemade" style cgi images of a 2nd earth. This plot is more akin to a B style drama that doesn't explain much about the so called 2nd earth at all. To me this film tries too hard to be artsy and psychological but it ends up dull and contrite. Brit Marling is an adequate actress and the overall performances of all the actors is good but it is the main plot that is just dull. There could have been alot more done with the premise of a 2nd mirror earth than some woman's plight of reckless driving. Too bad it had promise Expand
  6. Jan 2, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Was intrigued by Rhoda's interaction with John. I wanted her to tell him the truth but I was hoping the "other planet" would become another character. But it didn't. It was a device to hold my interest but was not used until the final frame. And then i didn't know what happened. She sees herself and what does that mean? Did John send her back? What happens now that there are two of them on one planet? Some esoteric conclusion to be drawn? Why was the other planet there if not to be explored, even in a dream sequence, to see of John's family was still alive? Could time and space be altered? So much potential with the idea, wasted. Expand
  7. Jan 3, 2013
    This was an absolute mess. The plot didn't make any sense, the characters are dull, and there was absolutely no explanation to what the **** is going on with that other earth. I mean seriously, who the **** gives a **** about this random depressed lady when there is ANOTHER ****ING EARTH SITTING RIGHT THERE IN THE SKY WITH NO EXPLANATION??? Just another example of Hollywood thinking theyThis was an absolute mess. The plot didn't make any sense, the characters are dull, and there was absolutely no explanation to what the **** is going on with that other earth. I mean seriously, who the **** gives a **** about this random depressed lady when there is ANOTHER ****ING EARTH SITTING RIGHT THERE IN THE SKY WITH NO EXPLANATION??? Just another example of Hollywood thinking they know exactly what they are talking about when in reality, they don't. Collapse

1. Reviewed by: Ian Freer
    Dec 5, 2011
    A small, personal indie with a huge cinematic and intellectual appetite. It may be too lo-fi for some tastes but it sparks the brain and moves the heart. It also introduces Marling as a bright new star - singular.
  2. Reviewed by: Lawrence Toppman
    Aug 18, 2011
    The deliberate editing and quirky cinematography (both done by Cahill) sometimes seem at odds with each other but never get in the way of the story's honesty.
  3. Reviewed by: Steve Persall
    Aug 17, 2011
    Another Earth is stealthily effective, with silences often counting more than words.