8.1

1. Sep 15, 2011
    Ron Howard's "Apollo 13" may be boring as hell with some cheesy moments, but the realistic direction and the powerful lead by Tom Hanks makes this space movie a movie you must watch.
  2. Dec 11, 2010
    I did not like the movie one bit. First of all, most of the time it is just too obvious that this is a movie, the set looks way too artificial. Fake. Then, all the acting is too forced. Forced cool, forced dramatic, forced heavy, it is just too easy to see that these are actors acting. It is just never convincing. If every look, every word, and every movement wants to forcefully convey significance, everything becomes just too much. That is what happened with this movie. Together with the ever dramatic soundtrack, it becomes unbearable to watch. In addition, how close is this to the truth, that two of the crew members so obviously do not trust the third crew member ?
    In all, there is no drama because every second is dramatic. No change in pace, no change in intensity. One you want to walk out of after 10 minutes.Quite a shame with that incredible cast.
  3. Dec 21, 2010
    Based on a very dramatic event that got the globe coming together at the time praying that the astronauts would be okay, Apollo 13's realistic story and strong performances made it not-better-but-as-good-as the real event. Apollo 13 was supposed to be the third shuttle to land on the moon but an oxygen tank exploded and the astronauts found themselves in a real situation. Going through hell to get back to Earth, the guys finally made it and the world was happy. An interesting story but very simple. Thanks to writers William Broyles Jr. and Al Reinert, the story became a complex challenge of life or death situation. Also helped by strong performances particularly from Ed Harris and Kathleen Quinlan, Apollo 13 became an instant classic when it came out in 1994. Expand
  4. Mar 2, 2011
    Great acting, directing, dialogue. Very intense with the Apollo disaster and astronauts, interesting family problems and politics. A little slow at times but that really does not effect how good the movie is overall.
  5. Nov 28, 2011
    Great acting performances. Tom Hanks, Bill Paxton, and Kevin Bacon were incredible. It's epic length must be considered. Although acted very well, it was boring at some times. Overall, I give it an 8. If it was cut down maybe to 120 minutes I might give it a 9. It's length is probably why I certainly agree with their choice of Braveheart as Best Picture winner.
  6. Aug 26, 2012
    Fantastic acting in a fantastic movie. This is one of Tom Hank's best films and is one of my personal favorites. The movie can get boring at times but overall its realistic, interesting, and well done.
  7. Nov 28, 2012
    A cast of remarkable actors do some of their absolute best in a story well crafted by the directorial expertise of Ron Howard. "Apollo 13" is a solid, rousing, and beautiful historical drama.
  8. Dec 19, 2012
    One of the best movies I have ever seen. Wonderfully acted with a powerful story. Even though you know the ending, it still has you on the edge of your seat.
  9. Aug 11, 2013
    I was watching this on my laptop, and about an hour in I accidentally closed the tab. I didn't bother re-opening it and continue watching. It is a very well made movie, with great direction. But I ended up not caring at all about the 3 leads, in due to how boring this film is. i can handle boring, so long as I care about the characters. But I really didn't. The film does nothing to establish what these men are like. To us they are just random people who are in a space shuttle, and we don't care if they live or die. Expand
  10. Mar 3, 2014
    The most astonishing thing about this movie is that it really happened! You can experience a precarious travel. It's sometimes a bit booring, but I can't complain about sth. else.

1. The direction may not be flashy, but it is controlled and confident; the frames unfold with a no-nonsense, nuts-and-bolts realism that, in this era of laser-blazing Batplanes, seems downright welcome.
    "The Right Stuff" will endure as the more ambitious movie, but this book-faithful, 2-hour team effort shrewdly keeps its eye on the ball.
    It's a riveting, nail-biting, two-buckets-of-popcorn return to form for Howard.