Appaloosa

5.7

1. pdxsrw
    Mar 26, 2009
    One of the worst movies I have seen in some time. If you like Mystery Science Theater 3k, then this is a fun movie to comment along to. A disappointing waste of time. The editing appears to have been performed by Elementary School Media 101 students. The dialog must have been written by the low bidder from a 3rd world company of drunken nomads. Ed Harris, I am embarrassed for you. Vigo, One of the worst movies I have seen in some time. If you like Mystery Science Theater 3k, then this is a fun movie to comment along to. A disappointing waste of time. The editing appears to have been performed by Elementary School Media 101 students. The dialog must have been written by the low bidder from a 3rd world company of drunken nomads. Ed Harris, I am embarrassed for you. Vigo, other than the Lord of the Rings trilogy, I have yet to take an interest in your character. And Renee Z.... ugh... painful. Expand
  2. idiotart
    Jan 10, 2009
    I couldn't agree more with D.R. The critics must be smoking something. I've lost all respect for Harris.
  3. RyanS.
    Mar 1, 2009
    This movie was short on the classic westerns gun slinging and full of power struggles between the characters of the movie. Ed Harris is a great actor, but this movie defiantly rates a movie that leaves much to be desired. I would not recommend this movie to anyone who is looking for a movie that has the same results as tombstone.
  4. KDG
    Aug 31, 2009
    Yawn and double yawn. Zellweger is either horribly miscast or phonig it in, and I generally like her. Although it is beautifully shot and Mortensen is typically strong, the story goes nowhere and it does so very slowly with, at ltimes, shockingly bad dialogue. Don't bother wasting your time on this one.
  5. GaryM.
    Oct 13, 2008
    Dreadefully boring. A collection of oater cliches occupied about a third of the film, the other two thirds being spent in . . . meaningful transitions? Studies of how little there really was to do in the Old West? Whatever.
  6. RebeccaA.
    Sep 18, 2008
    Saw this at a critic's screening. Booorrringgg! Who did they make this for? My grandparents? Even they would hate it it's so conventional, so slowly paced, so lacadaiscally directed by actor Ed Harris, The acting is fine, but the sript is such a throwback, at a time when the Western, as a film genre, needs to be reimagined if it has any hope of survival. The last great Western Saw this at a critic's screening. Booorrringgg! Who did they make this for? My grandparents? Even they would hate it it's so conventional, so slowly paced, so lacadaiscally directed by actor Ed Harris, The acting is fine, but the sript is such a throwback, at a time when the Western, as a film genre, needs to be reimagined if it has any hope of survival. The last great Western was "Unforgiven," another slow movie, but one which at least had a lot of subtext. "Appaloosa" only has text, and not very text at that. (And Zelleweger was horribly miscast!) Expand
  7. NickJ.
    Oct 11, 2008
    While I did enjoy Mr. Mortensen's character and the slowly unfolding pace of Appaloosa, it is a Frankenstein of a western, built mostly of cliches. You get it all: the well read / no good varmint running roughshod over the frightened citizens of a lawless town, the strong and silent lawmen who aint no heroes, saloon whores, horse raiding Injuns, Chinese waiters speaking broken While I did enjoy Mr. Mortensen's character and the slowly unfolding pace of Appaloosa, it is a Frankenstein of a western, built mostly of cliches. You get it all: the well read / no good varmint running roughshod over the frightened citizens of a lawless town, the strong and silent lawmen who aint no heroes, saloon whores, horse raiding Injuns, Chinese waiters speaking broken English... For God's sakes it ends with a literal ride into the sunset! It'd be riot if it wasn't so darned earnest. Expand
  8. BobH.
    Oct 11, 2008
    This movie was VERY slow. Things happen without explanation. Good acting, better directing is desired.
  9. JoshuaM.
    Oct 10, 2008
    A western about westerns. This movie was awful.
  10. D.R.
    Oct 17, 2008
    This movie is horrible. The dialogue descends from laughable to appalling. The cinematography is that of an amateurish B-movie. There is no plot, and all attempts at one fail as logic or entertainment. Renee Zellweger is painful to look at and obnoxious. This movie is so bad - so, so bad. I cannot fathom what the critics are thinking or watching.
  11. DaveA.
    Oct 6, 2008
    Boring is the word. There's almost nothing to this movie.
  12. PatrickR.
    Jan 16, 2009
    Tedious, slow, over-stylised. Improbable ending. Zellwegger looks weird with a trout pout. Only Mortensen is worth watching
  13. JaquieM
    Jan 7, 2009
    Renee, although sometimes a good actress, droned on and on in a wimpy, whiny way that was obnoxious - and she looked AWFUL. While I beleive they may have uglied-her down a little, teh result was just terrible. Not an awful moviem but not what I expected. Viggo (who I normally love) didn't look all thet great either and seemed to be there merely to collect a check. In fact, after Renee, although sometimes a good actress, droned on and on in a wimpy, whiny way that was obnoxious - and she looked AWFUL. While I beleive they may have uglied-her down a little, teh result was just terrible. Not an awful moviem but not what I expected. Viggo (who I normally love) didn't look all thet great either and seemed to be there merely to collect a check. In fact, after about thirty minutes of it, that's what I wanted to say: "Check please ... I'm outta here. Yup." Expand
  14. JudyG.
    Feb 14, 2009
    Without a doubt, one of the worst films I have ever seen-I like Ed harris a lot and I love Westerns but this was terrible- Stilted dialogue, poorly written and very predictable story line-sggest Ed Harris stick with his day job
  15. DavidR
    Apr 16, 2009
    Slow, very little to get excited about after the opening scenes and nearly put me to sleep in at least three places. Everybody but Viggo Mortensen appeared to be overacting. Renee Zellweger's character was so badly written she had to be explained by the other characters. I wouldnt recommend this to anyone.
  16. KyleS.
    Nov 16, 2008
    I am a western fan, especially those of Eastwood, Peckinpah and Leone. This movie felt like some egomaniacal actors willing themselves into the genre pantheon with performances and set-pieces that are sheer self-conscious pageantry. I agree that Zellwigger was obnoxious. I can't think of a western that doesn't feel in some way cliched, but this one was cliched and flatter than I am a western fan, especially those of Eastwood, Peckinpah and Leone. This movie felt like some egomaniacal actors willing themselves into the genre pantheon with performances and set-pieces that are sheer self-conscious pageantry. I agree that Zellwigger was obnoxious. I can't think of a western that doesn't feel in some way cliched, but this one was cliched and flatter than hammered crap to boot. Collapse
  17. Dec 15, 2011
    Great acting, You cant denie that. The one huge problem of this film is that it lacks interest and its far too long, It made you feel like you were suffering just to get to any decent part in the film. The script could have been a lot better as well.
  18. Oct 7, 2013
    The biggest flaw of the film is that it doesn't go anywhere. You sit through a 2 hour film and expect something but sadly there is nothing here with Appaloosa. The acting is average, The plot is painfully generic and boring, and it fails to keep you interested or entertained at all. I would not recommend.

1. A fine dramatic comedy with fresh characters, witty dialogue and a keen interest in how relationships must have developed among frontier folks, tyrannical ranchers, no-nonsense lawmen and -- oh, yes -- the complicated women on that frontier.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Harris' first directorial outing since his impressive and entirely different "Pollock" biopic bears echoes of many genre predecessors, especially Howard Hawks' "Rio Bravo" -- but echoes they remain.
  3. Reviewed by: Chuck Wilson
    Harris and his collaborators are playing it straight with a timeless male fantasy--horse, hat, six-shooter--a traditional approach that will please moviegoers like my dad and yours.