Universal Pictures | Release Date: February 19, 1993
Universal acclaim based on 150 Ratings
WATCH NOW
ZegilgameshJan 21, 2013
roddersj04Jan 1, 2011
After The Evil Dead and Evil Dead II: Dead By Dawn, Army Of Darkness should be epic, right? Well, i'm afraid to say that it doesn't live up to the previous two installments. Army Of Darkness begins where Evil Dead 2 left off: Ash has timeAfter The Evil Dead and Evil Dead II: Dead By Dawn, Army Of Darkness should be epic, right? Well, i'm afraid to say that it doesn't live up to the previous two installments. Army Of Darkness begins where Evil Dead 2 left off: Ash has time travelled to the medieval times (this is why it was unoffically called The Medieval Dead, a name I love btw) While Evil Dead was mainly horror, and Evil Dead 2 was a mix of horror and comedy, Army Of Darkness is more comedy based than horror based. The film has been given a bigger budget, as can be seen with the films location moved to Medieval times, the Army Of Darkness and Bad Ash. Speaking of which... I liked Bad Ash, as a proper enemy for Ash rather than his cut off hand or some evil force that throws him like a rag doll. He was quite a good villian. Not too crazy on his love interest though. A bit bleh for me. This film has Ash as more of a jokester hero than the serious role he played in the last two films. He pulls off some quality lines "All right, you primitive screwheads, listen up. This is my BOOMSTICK!" but I prefered him more serious. As for the ending, I liked the bleak ending "I SLEPT FOR TOO LONG" but I prefered him returning to his time, because it felt kick ass. And it ended brilliantly "Hail to the king, Baby" Ultimately, this film was quite enjoyable, but the choice of comedy over horror made it feel like a bit of a dissapointment when compared to the previous two films. It felt like the right ending to the serious, a bats arse killer way to round off the evil dead story, and I think it deserved it. Expand
j30Nov 10, 2011
This was my introduction to the Evil Dead Series, so it holds a special place in my heart. It's flat out hilarious, slap-stick humor without the scares.
Spyfighter5000Apr 12, 2013
One of the most hilarious movies ever made! Some may not appreciate the slapstick humour and twist on the franchise, but I think it works perfectly. Ash's character is now fully developed and delivers some of films most quotable lines toOne of the most hilarious movies ever made! Some may not appreciate the slapstick humour and twist on the franchise, but I think it works perfectly. Ash's character is now fully developed and delivers some of films most quotable lines to date. The final fight is my favourite movie scene of all time. I love Army of Darkness. It may be relatively different from it's predecessors, but that doesn't make it a bad film in any way or form. Expand
kyle20ellisJun 23, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Army of Darkness is an 80-minute comedy gem filled with witty one-liners, awesome special effects, and a great cast. Though it isn't as groundbreaking as the originals, its still a great and overlooked action movie. Expand
PeaceMakerOneJan 21, 2012
I find this flim to be entertaining, funny and amusing and deserves a high rating. Depending on what your taste are your score may vary where as my score is a solid 10. If you are in the mood for outrageousness and silly comedy then your inI find this flim to be entertaining, funny and amusing and deserves a high rating. Depending on what your taste are your score may vary where as my score is a solid 10. If you are in the mood for outrageousness and silly comedy then your in for a good movie. Expand
Captain_KirkAug 16, 2012
It can get a little repetitive with it's slapstick humor here and there, but it's undeniably well made and Ash from the previous Evil Dead installments is just as fun to watch here as ever.
MeritCobaSep 11, 2016
I am pretty good now, having slept for six hours instead of my four so I feel in a positive mood. So, this particular movie is a complete utter waste of your time unless you like overacting of the obnoxious kind, crappy dialog that bordersI am pretty good now, having slept for six hours instead of my four so I feel in a positive mood. So, this particular movie is a complete utter waste of your time unless you like overacting of the obnoxious kind, crappy dialog that borders on the campy, a redundant script and people being put down because that is funny or are seriously intoxicated.
The movie is carried by Campbell and that is about it. Bruce Campbell will never rank among the best of actors or even among admirable b actors. He overacts, is a buffoon and annoying, but he makes much of it up by sheer utter enthusiasm.
So there isn't really a good story as the movie is mostly a series of patched together sketches with Campbell as the star. Campbell graces the poster of the movie with a chainsaw for his right hand. It is used for a very short time just so it could be on the poster. The jokes are of the bottom kind: crude, at the expense of others, shaming people and embarrassing. For instance a running joke is that he calls the people of the middleages primitives. There is some slapstick in it that reminds you of Chalie Chaplin or Buster Keaton. Unfortunately, because Campbell is such a crud you never get to like him as you get to like Chaplin and Keaton. Which is the iceberg that sinks this one. Campbell has no redeeming qualities, nothing that makes you like him or even 'get' him.
In the eighties cgi was unknown hence the army of the undead is made with stop motion. It is admirable to see how that is done, the patience and editing is laudable. Yet it looks totally awful today. Stop motion is still used in animation movies nowadays, with better skill, but never mind.
What else is there to say?
I skipped through parts of this brainless boring movie that probably gets pawned off as being cult. Garbage would be a better word.
Did I give it a five?
A two is better.
Make it so.
oDjentoMar 9, 2015
The silliest encounter we've seen with Ash yet and by far the biggest in scope. It seems that Raimi had finally fully established what type of character he wanted Ash to be in this trilogy and he seems most developed and involved in thisThe silliest encounter we've seen with Ash yet and by far the biggest in scope. It seems that Raimi had finally fully established what type of character he wanted Ash to be in this trilogy and he seems most developed and involved in this film. The film has majorly switches now from horror to adventure comedy now and provides some ludicrous fun along the way. The film is an absolute blast almost all the way, but towards the last 20 minutes i felt like i kind of lost steam a bit. I can see that Raimi was trying out more unique shots with the battle sequence but it does somehow take away from the rest of the film. It is still good on its own however. I would also like to mention that the theatrical ending is the better one, not the dvd version! This film should've been my favourite in the trilogy but due to the last 20 minutes i'd have to give it to Evil Dead 2 instead. Well done Sam Raimi though for possibly making one of the weirdest but most entertaining trilogies ever conceived. Expand
lukechristianscApr 11, 2014
army of darkness is the best most greatest story ever . Ash is back and returns as a badass ghost killer as always . Evil dead series Aka (trilogy) . is amazing Raimi's series of horror is brilliant . Grade Army of darkness A+.
DesmondL.Aug 5, 2009
I don't care the reviewer say worst or boring. This is totally funny, scary and epic movies ever. Recommended for big fan of dark fantasy.
JoelM.Apr 9, 2007
This is the greatest B-Movie ever made.
LarryTheLastWordMar 26, 2010
I love when the Critics have their heads so far up their behinds they are not even in the ball park it when it comes to capturing the intended essence of a clear classic!
[Anonymous]May 20, 2006
The critics gave this a 57!! Obviously the critics don't know how to just sit back and enjoy a movie. This is one of the funniest movies I have ever seen. It is Bruce at his best. If you dont laugh at this movie you've got serious The critics gave this a 57!! Obviously the critics don't know how to just sit back and enjoy a movie. This is one of the funniest movies I have ever seen. It is Bruce at his best. If you dont laugh at this movie you've got serious problems and I recommend seeking professional help. Expand
RirenMay 29, 2006
Amazing how the critics gave it only 57. Maybe they went in looking for another Evil Dead. But this is a classic in its own damn RIGHT! Bruce Campbell rocks! His one liners are hilarious.
ArkonBladeSep 15, 2010
this is one of thoose rare gems . its a bold , funny over the top , action packed , and full of more one liners then you can imagine. theres nothing like the Army of darkness . this is one of thoose rare films where ive talked to 100s ofthis is one of thoose rare gems . its a bold , funny over the top , action packed , and full of more one liners then you can imagine. theres nothing like the Army of darkness . this is one of thoose rare films where ive talked to 100s of people who have seen it and not one of them didnt like this movie .every one loved it . i dont think i can think of one other film ive seen that not atleast one person i talked to about it could have a agreement about if it was good or bad. this is that one movie every one agrees on. the humor is almost cartoony and very much 3 stooges at times. the special effects pretty cheesy . the one liners abit corny , the acting abit hammy ... but you know what i wouldnt change one thing about this film . its perfect the way it is and i cant say that about many films. it just pulls every thing off some how and im not gona try and figure out why . im just gona enjoy it. if you havent seen this film its a must. Expand
ryancarroll88Aug 27, 2010
Sure, it's no Evil Dead 2, but the plot and special effects so over the top and Bruce Campbell is so... well, Bruce Campbell, that it's hard to not be entertained.
EliutOct 21, 2011
For me, the best films of Sam Raimi, this film under the original and may be cooler than Sam, in addition to the hilarious story and the performances, no doubt a cult film that everyone should see and never growold.
TheQuietGamerJan 11, 2015
This conclusion to the Evil Dead trilogy ditches the horror in favor of over-the-top comedy. The film's refusal to take itself seriously can lead to this feeling like a spoof of the previous movies. It's both the film's greatest strength andThis conclusion to the Evil Dead trilogy ditches the horror in favor of over-the-top comedy. The film's refusal to take itself seriously can lead to this feeling like a spoof of the previous movies. It's both the film's greatest strength and weakness.

The witty one-liners take the cake. They are unbelievably memorable. The constant stream of goofy and out there moments will have you asking yourself "what the heck am I watching?" While I personally had a hard time not laughing at it, the slapstick humor may cause some people to feel like the movie is too stupid to actually be funny. There are plenty of times where the laughs come from just how juvenile the whole thing can be.

It's a complete departure from the horror that started this series. Instead it embraces the more comedic elements of the Evil Dead 2 wholeheartedly and runs with them. While that may turn off some fans of the series, those who appreciated the humor of the second Evil Dead should still find a good time. It can be a wildly funny ride.

My total score for the movie is a 7.5/10.
BrandonBonaseraMar 30, 2015
Despite originally not liking the film as an Evil Dead sequel, as a stand-alone piece it is a fun, amusing and entertaining film that gets better and better with each repeated viewing.
imthenoobJan 31, 2013
The thing about the Evil Dead franchise is you either enjoy them or you don't. I found the movie to be entertaining yet flawed. I enjoyed watching it but it could have been better. Solid watch imo.
SpangleFeb 24, 2017
Objectively, two things are true about Army of Darkness. One, it is definitely not very good. Two, I totally screwed up. I had no idea this was a follow-up to Evil Dead and Evil Dead II. Who would guess it, but I had never seen either.Objectively, two things are true about Army of Darkness. One, it is definitely not very good. Two, I totally screwed up. I had no idea this was a follow-up to Evil Dead and Evil Dead II. Who would guess it, but I had never seen either. Whoops. Mea culpa on that one. Fortunately, I get the feeling I did not miss much plot-wise. 81 minutes long, Army of Darkness is a fast-paced, stupid, and incredibly fun horror comedy. From director Sam Raimi, Ash Williams (Bruce Campbell) reclaims his chainsaw, witty commentary, and need to kill the evil dead in this conclusion to the trilogy (apparently). While hardly perfect, it is impossible to deny that Army of Darkness is really stupid fun.

Due to its runtime and focus on action, the film largely forgets its plot, which stands as the biggest issue. Dumped into the Middle Ages after seeing the Book of the Dead, Ash must fight his way out of various situations and then awakens an army of the dead in the process. Otherwise, it is just chainsaw goodness and women with large breasts serving him. There is not much meat on this bone and very little to digest. Mind you, the film surrounding the plot is fun enough to make you forget there is no plot, but it is a flaw nonetheless. Towards the middle, when the plot can continuously repeat itself with its silly action and jokes along the way, the lack of plot is really felt.

That said, Bruce Campbell is born for this role and hysterical. Charismatic, cool, calm, and collected, Campbell's Ash delivers each punch line to perfection. He is the core of this film and is what it is riding on. He has terrific fun in this film with all the silly gags and seems to derive great pleasure from kicking zombie ass. On that note, Raimi also has a ton of fun here. With bad special effects and low-bar jokes, Army of Darkness is a goofy and entirely tongue-in-cheek affair. He knows it is dumb and outlandish, but that is exactly why he is doing it. This reason is mainly why the bad effects are excusable because it is partially due to limited technology and mostly due to Raimi's own cheesy intention. Bad effects are the perfect backdrop for the quip-ready Ash who has his own special brand of machismo that makes him a truly unique action hero.

On that note, Ash definitely fits some of Yvonne Tasker's definition of a male action hero in the 1980s and apparently early 1990s. Putting his male body through torture via cutting off his own hand, being against the system (defends the middle ages people to save a girl), and saving a damsel in distress, Ash is the quintessential male action hero, though his body does not necessarily become spectacle and suffer from constant torture, aside from the hand the pixie that breaks into his body. In that way, he is a bit of subversion of this and shows Raimi's satirical inclination in the film with even the action hero and action he performs being tongue-in-cheek representations of competing action films of the time.

Funny, subversive, and flat out stupid, Army of Darkness has literally no plot, but is fun because of its bad effects and Bruce Campbell. While I wish I had seen the first two entries in the trilogy first, Army of Darkness is entertaining and fun in its own right, separate from the other Evil Dead films.
python2000Aug 13, 2013
The cheesiness may sometimes be too much and make you cringe, but overall it's very enjoyable and had me hooked since the first scene. Although I didn't laugh much it's successful by way of jokes and the actings decent Bruce Campbell is aThe cheesiness may sometimes be too much and make you cringe, but overall it's very enjoyable and had me hooked since the first scene. Although I didn't laugh much it's successful by way of jokes and the actings decent Bruce Campbell is a satisfying lead. But the best thing is the large amount of brilliant quotes like "Hail to the king baby" and "Maam I'm going to have to ask you to leave the store". Expand
MamaTLFNov 12, 2013
A hilarious movie with funny and silly practical effects, but its a kind a movie you watch when you stumble upon it on TV when you have time to spare.
zCriticOct 4, 2013
Fun, Funny, Smart, and at times genuinely terrifying. I don't know if Sam realized how much a brilliant film this is, but I think it should be one of the best films of all time.
marcmyworksDec 8, 2013
The weakest in Sam Raimi's trilogy (he seems to always be over-ambitious in the third instalments of his franchises). The plot is interesting but the cheap effect makes it look more like a medieval-times restaurant rather than a blockbuster picture.
ydnar4Jul 21, 2015
I think Army of Darkness is for fans of Sam Rami or fans of Bruce Campbell. This movie is so ridiculous so it is somewhat of an entertaining watch just because you really can expect anything normal to happen. My favorite film in the Evil DeadI think Army of Darkness is for fans of Sam Rami or fans of Bruce Campbell. This movie is so ridiculous so it is somewhat of an entertaining watch just because you really can expect anything normal to happen. My favorite film in the Evil Dead series is the first film because they begin to get really wacky after that. Bruce Campbell is pretty fun to watch but no other funny or interesting characters are introduced. I respect Sam Rami for taking his series in an other direction but I can't say I'm a big fan of this film but I'm sure that there are plenty of people who can get some enjoyment out of it. Expand
horcrux2007Jan 6, 2015
It doesn't live up to the impossibly high standards set by its predecessors. Army of Darkness is a dark fantasy and comedy film, while the first two Evil Dead movies were horror films. It's funny, crazy, and certainly entertaining, but I justIt doesn't live up to the impossibly high standards set by its predecessors. Army of Darkness is a dark fantasy and comedy film, while the first two Evil Dead movies were horror films. It's funny, crazy, and certainly entertaining, but I just wished it had a bit more substance. Expand
xdhollywoodOct 7, 2014
A really corny and cult classic movie. If you enjoy action and slapstick comedy this is the movie your looking for. Army of Darkness takes Evil Dead's hero "Ash" into a portal that takes him to medieval times and is thrown into a battle withA really corny and cult classic movie. If you enjoy action and slapstick comedy this is the movie your looking for. Army of Darkness takes Evil Dead's hero "Ash" into a portal that takes him to medieval times and is thrown into a battle with evil. This movie is just so much fun to watch. Expand
EpicLadySpongeMay 1, 2016
Despite not having 'Evil Dead' in its title, it's still apart of the Evil Dead franchise, so this should be a great movie to watch, right? Well, sort of.
FleetwoodMacAug 19, 2016
This is the single greatest movie ever made, it has everything from horror to comedy to romance to action. I still remember the first time I watched it