8.5

1. Jan 21, 2013
    Army of Darkness is an 80-minute comedy gem filled with witty one-liners, awesome special effects, and a great cast. Though it isn't as groundbreaking as the originals, its still a great and overlooked action movie.
  2. Jan 1, 2011
    After The Evil Dead and Evil Dead II: Dead By Dawn, Army Of Darkness should be epic, right? Well, i'm afraid to say that it doesn't live up to the previous two installments. Army Of Darkness begins where Evil Dead 2 left off: Ash has time travelled to the medieval times (this is why it was unoffically called The Medieval Dead, a name I love btw) While Evil Dead was mainly horror, and EvilAfter The Evil Dead and Evil Dead II: Dead By Dawn, Army Of Darkness should be epic, right? Well, i'm afraid to say that it doesn't live up to the previous two installments. Army Of Darkness begins where Evil Dead 2 left off: Ash has time travelled to the medieval times (this is why it was unoffically called The Medieval Dead, a name I love btw) While Evil Dead was mainly horror, and Evil Dead 2 was a mix of horror and comedy, Army Of Darkness is more comedy based than horror based. The film has been given a bigger budget, as can be seen with the films location moved to Medieval times, the Army Of Darkness and Bad Ash. Speaking of which... I liked Bad Ash, as a proper enemy for Ash rather than his cut off hand or some evil force that throws him like a rag doll. He was quite a good villian. Not too crazy on his love interest though. A bit bleh for me. This film has Ash as more of a jokester hero than the serious role he played in the last two films. He pulls off some quality lines "All right, you primitive screwheads, listen up. This is my BOOMSTICK!" but I prefered him more serious. As for the ending, I liked the bleak ending "I SLEPT FOR TOO LONG" but I prefered him returning to his time, because it felt kick ass. And it ended brilliantly "Hail to the king, Baby" Ultimately, this film was quite enjoyable, but the choice of comedy over horror made it feel like a bit of a dissapointment when compared to the previous two films. It felt like the right ending to the serious, a bats arse killer way to round off the evil dead story, and I think it deserved it. Expand
  3. Jan 21, 2012
    I find this flim to be entertaining, funny and amusing and deserves a high rating. Depending on what your taste are your score may vary where as my score is a solid 10. If you are in the mood for outrageousness and silly comedy then your in for a good movie.
  4. Apr 11, 2014
    army of darkness is the best most greatest story ever . Ash is back and returns as a badass ghost killer as always . Evil dead series Aka (trilogy) . is amazing Raimi's series of horror is brilliant . Grade Army of darkness A+.
  5. Sep 15, 2010
    this is one of thoose rare gems . its a bold , funny over the top , action packed , and full of more one liners then you can imagine. theres nothing like the Army of darkness . this is one of thoose rare films where ive talked to 100s of people who have seen it and not one of them didnt like this movie .every one loved it . i dont think i can think of one other film ive seen that notthis is one of thoose rare gems . its a bold , funny over the top , action packed , and full of more one liners then you can imagine. theres nothing like the Army of darkness . this is one of thoose rare films where ive talked to 100s of people who have seen it and not one of them didnt like this movie .every one loved it . i dont think i can think of one other film ive seen that not atleast one person i talked to about it could have a agreement about if it was good or bad. this is that one movie every one agrees on. the humor is almost cartoony and very much 3 stooges at times. the special effects pretty cheesy . the one liners abit corny , the acting abit hammy ... but you know what i wouldnt change one thing about this film . its perfect the way it is and i cant say that about many films. it just pulls every thing off some how and im not gona try and figure out why . im just gona enjoy it. if you havent seen this film its a must. Expand
  6. Aug 27, 2010
    Sure, it's no Evil Dead 2, but the plot and special effects so over the top and Bruce Campbell is so... well, Bruce Campbell, that it's hard to not be entertained.
  7. Oct 21, 2011
    For me, the best films of Sam Raimi, this film under the original and may be cooler than Sam, in addition to the hilarious story and the performances, no doubt a cult film that everyone should see and never growold.
  8. Jan 11, 2015
    This conclusion to the Evil Dead trilogy ditches the horror in favor of over-the-top comedy. The film's refusal to take itself seriously can lead to this feeling like a spoof of the previous movies. It's both the film's greatest strength and weakness.

The witty one-liners take the cake. They are unbelievably memorable. The constant stream of goofy and out there moments will have you asking yourself "what the heck am I watching?" While I personally had a hard time not laughing at it, the slapstick humor may cause some people to feel like the movie is too stupid to actually be funny. There are plenty of times where the laughs come from just how juvenile the whole thing can be.

It's a complete departure from the horror that started this series. Instead it embraces the more comedic elements of the Evil Dead 2 wholeheartedly and runs with them. While that may turn off some fans of the series, those who appreciated the humor of the second Evil Dead should still find a good time. It can be a wildly funny ride.

My total score for the movie is a 7.5/10.
  9. j30
    Nov 10, 2011
    This was my introduction to the Evil Dead Series, so it holds a special place in my heart. It's flat out hilarious, slap-stick humor without the scares.
  10. Mar 30, 2015
    Despite originally not liking the film as an Evil Dead sequel, as a stand-alone piece it is a fun, amusing and entertaining film that gets better and better with each repeated viewing.
  11. Jan 31, 2013
    The thing about the Evil Dead franchise is you either enjoy them or you don't. I found the movie to be entertaining yet flawed. I enjoyed watching it but it could have been better. Solid watch imo.
  12. Apr 12, 2013
    One of the most hilarious movies ever made! Some may not appreciate the slapstick humour and twist on the franchise, but I think it works perfectly. Ash's character is now fully developed and delivers some of films most quotable lines to date. The final fight is my favourite movie scene of all time. I love Army of Darkness. It may be relatively different from it's predecessors, but thatOne of the most hilarious movies ever made! Some may not appreciate the slapstick humour and twist on the franchise, but I think it works perfectly. Ash's character is now fully developed and delivers some of films most quotable lines to date. The final fight is my favourite movie scene of all time. I love Army of Darkness. It may be relatively different from it's predecessors, but that doesn't make it a bad film in any way or form. Expand
  13. Aug 16, 2012
    It can get a little repetitive with it's slapstick humor here and there, but it's undeniably well made and Ash from the previous Evil Dead installments is just as fun to watch here as ever.
  14. Aug 13, 2013
    The cheesiness may sometimes be too much and make you cringe, but overall it's very enjoyable and had me hooked since the first scene. Although I didn't laugh much it's successful by way of jokes and the actings decent Bruce Campbell is a satisfying lead. But the best thing is the large amount of brilliant quotes like "Hail to the king baby" and "Maam I'm going to have to ask you to leaveThe cheesiness may sometimes be too much and make you cringe, but overall it's very enjoyable and had me hooked since the first scene. Although I didn't laugh much it's successful by way of jokes and the actings decent Bruce Campbell is a satisfying lead. But the best thing is the large amount of brilliant quotes like "Hail to the king baby" and "Maam I'm going to have to ask you to leave the store". Expand
  15. Nov 12, 2013
    A hilarious movie with funny and silly practical effects, but its a kind a movie you watch when you stumble upon it on TV when you have time to spare.
  16. Oct 4, 2013
    Fun, Funny, Smart, and at times genuinely terrifying. I don't know if Sam realized how much a brilliant film this is, but I think it should be one of the best films of all time.
  17. Dec 8, 2013
    The weakest in Sam Raimi's trilogy (he seems to always be over-ambitious in the third instalments of his franchises). The plot is interesting but the cheap effect makes it look more like a medieval-times restaurant rather than a blockbuster picture.
  18. Mar 9, 2015
    The silliest encounter we've seen with Ash yet and by far the biggest in scope. It seems that Raimi had finally fully established what type of character he wanted Ash to be in this trilogy and he seems most developed and involved in this film. The film has majorly switches now from horror to adventure comedy now and provides some ludicrous fun along the way. The film is an absolute blastThe silliest encounter we've seen with Ash yet and by far the biggest in scope. It seems that Raimi had finally fully established what type of character he wanted Ash to be in this trilogy and he seems most developed and involved in this film. The film has majorly switches now from horror to adventure comedy now and provides some ludicrous fun along the way. The film is an absolute blast almost all the way, but towards the last 20 minutes i felt like i kind of lost steam a bit. I can see that Raimi was trying out more unique shots with the battle sequence but it does somehow take away from the rest of the film. It is still good on its own however. I would also like to mention that the theatrical ending is the better one, not the dvd version! This film should've been my favourite in the trilogy but due to the last 20 minutes i'd have to give it to Evil Dead 2 instead. Well done Sam Raimi though for possibly making one of the weirdest but most entertaining trilogies ever conceived. Expand
  19. Jan 6, 2015
    It doesn't live up to the impossibly high standards set by its predecessors. Army of Darkness is a dark fantasy and comedy film, while the first two Evil Dead movies were horror films. It's funny, crazy, and certainly entertaining, but I just wished it had a bit more substance.
  20. Oct 7, 2014
    A really corny and cult classic movie. If you enjoy action and slapstick comedy this is the movie your looking for. Army of Darkness takes Evil Dead's hero "Ash" into a portal that takes him to medieval times and is thrown into a battle with evil. This movie is just so much fun to watch.

A poor man's "Excalibur," but the fact of the matter is that the film displays far too little of the incisor-sharp wit and out-of-control mayhem readily available in the other two films. It just doesn't work.
    No matter what your opinion is of the movie, you're unlikely to be bored.
  3. Army of Darkness would appeal to small children if it were not also too gruesome for them, since Ash does after all wield a chain saw. [19 Feb 1993, p.C10]