6.3

1. Jul 16, 2013
    Bad movie, just pointless. All the story is so unnatural, so forced. How the family reacts with the boy and the robot is without sense. I cant belive why that movie are so overrated.
  2. JCFrancois
    Apr 7, 2002
    Pinocchio meets Dr. Frankenstein in an futuristic excess of cheap sentimentalism that Spielberg didn't even have the decency to keep short.
  3. J.R.
    Dec 20, 2002
    This is one of those shallow films--ultimately convinced of its own importance, believing itself to be good because it looks good. It exhibits uneven acting, uneven plot, inconsistent, and fully forty minutes longer than it ought to have been. Instead of being uplifting, it comes across as misanthropic and gratuitously violent.
  4. SimonH.
    Jun 9, 2003
    Although the theme of the movie coukld've spwaned a great movie. The movie harshly kills any interest it has. At the start, the movie seems to head somewhere, but after less than half, A.I. loooses its track. The spectator is made to watch a pointless quest, where one already knows the end. The whole thing goes on for two long. It keeps insiting on a hope that doesn't exist. Although the theme of the movie coukld've spwaned a great movie. The movie harshly kills any interest it has. At the start, the movie seems to head somewhere, but after less than half, A.I. loooses its track. The spectator is made to watch a pointless quest, where one already knows the end. The whole thing goes on for two long. It keeps insiting on a hope that doesn't exist. There are various unnessessary scenes which contradict the idea that has been conditioned to you from the start, so in the end, you have a meaningles movie whose ideas do not make sense. Suddenly, science fiction turns into stupidity when ... [spoiler omitted]. In a last though, the movie is sick trying to make one feel sorry about robots. Expand
  5. SakqazA.
    Jul 6, 2005
    Heartless, pointless, pretentious, boring and never ending a film with no purpose, story or merit.
  6. AnnaB.
    Jul 5, 2001
    Brillient!!!!!
  7. AaronR.
    Aug 6, 2001
    A joke of a movie. If put together by anyone else besides Kubrick and Spielberg it never would have made it to the showcase film on "Wayne's World." The ending was laughable. What a waste of money (mine and the move studio). Can I have my $7.50 back please?
  8. RobertD.
    Jul 1, 2002
    I gave it a "one", only b/c it was successful at sucking in a major crowd! - now that deserves at least one point.
  9. MichaelE.
    Aug 16, 2002
    One of my three most painful memories of 2001, along with Planet of the Apes and dental surgery. This beats both.
  10. JAnderton-M.
    Sep 6, 2003
    Horrible, just Horrible. If you want to watch a real director do justice to a P Dick like story watch vanilla sky.
  11. BobS.
    Aug 30, 2005
    As stiff and robotic as its own characters. The ending renders the entire movie not just pointless, but a complete waste of time. I would have rather spent my two hours in line at the DMV than watching this enigma.
  12. AndyS.
    Jul 25, 2001
    Laughably bad. Unlike the typical Spielberg exercise in mediocrity, this movie fails to rise even once above the director's heavy handed sentimentalizing triteness. If not for heroic but doomed efforts from Osment and Law, we might finally have found a suitable companion piece for "Plan 9 From Outer Space."
  13. JasonM.
    Jul 28, 2001
    Absolutely shameful. Anyone who likes this film doesn't know shallow from shinola and can scarcely be considered as having a brain.
  14. BobH.
    Aug 19, 2001
    Spectacular yet boring drivel. The audience at Graumann's here in Hollywood was bored; many walked out after the first two hours. Stylistically, the film's direction seems all Spielberg, and that's not so great here. For where Kubrick filled his frames with nuances left for the viewer to discover, rewarding attention and repeated viewings, Spielberg prefers not to trust his Spectacular yet boring drivel. The audience at Graumann's here in Hollywood was bored; many walked out after the first two hours. Stylistically, the film's direction seems all Spielberg, and that's not so great here. For where Kubrick filled his frames with nuances left for the viewer to discover, rewarding attention and repeated viewings, Spielberg prefers not to trust his viewers, instead thrusting what he wants us to see into center frame. This is hardly as rewarding, although most of Spielberg's films are such ripping yarns that this style is entirely appropriate to keep pace with the story. But not here. For all its splendor, the movie has little new to say about the nature of love other than the sheer unique creepiness of treating infantile narcissism as equivalent to genuine love -- whose ultimate validation, even at great cost to the object of the alleged love, is treated as some sort of satisfying, happy ending. Ewwwwwww. Finally, is it possible for Hollywood to make a boy-who-won't-grow-up movie that *doesn't* include Robin Williams (who appears here in voice-over)? Bicentennial Man, Jack, Toys, Hook, Jumanji... Expand
  15. JohnM.
    Feb 10, 2002
    Visually pummelling images and a completely-contrived sense of emotion prevent this film from being anything noteworthy. A mess. Grade: D
  16. LucindaS.
    Mar 12, 2002
    This movie was just wrong. I actually walked out of the theater with a headache. It should have ended half way through the movie. It sucked.
  17. KeithB.
    Apr 20, 2002
    A truly awful film. From the opening sex-role stereotypes to the absolute tediousness to the formulaic dialogue, this is a bad one for the ages.
    Jun 18, 2002
    This movie had absolutely no point, and was boring to the point of tears. I can't believe how bad this movie was. A story that started slowly, and followed a jumbled path which led to absolutely nothing.
  19. PatC.
    Dec 19, 2003
    What was that all about? I tried to follow it for awhile, but it wore me out.
  20. EdwardR.
    Aug 2, 2009
    I was very young when I watched this film. I don't remember it very well, which makes me happy. I remember that I didn't care about any of the characters, how self-indulgent the film was, and most of all how the film went on, and on, and on, and on. And then on some more. I actually started crying because I was really desperate for the film to end (not because of the I was very young when I watched this film. I don't remember it very well, which makes me happy. I remember that I didn't care about any of the characters, how self-indulgent the film was, and most of all how the film went on, and on, and on, and on. And then on some more. I actually started crying because I was really desperate for the film to end (not because of the 'emotion' of the film, but because I was bored) around where [massive spoiler] the aliens turn up and bring the robot's mother back for a moment or too. Well, I was in tears, shame about my reasons. I gave it a one rather than a zero because there is some good ideas and passable acting, but really, I *hated* this film. It should be locked in a cupboard so it can make love to itself in peace. (I should point out that being a small child at the time, I may not of had the best perspective on the film, though I stand by my opinion stubbornly, because I was a pretty smart kid). Expand
  21. OlarnS.
    Dec 11, 2001
    Excruciatingly boring and way overlong, posterity will not remember this film, unlike most of Spielberg's other works. The special effects were distracting from the story the film was trying to tell, and in the end this film failed to say anything worthwhile about its central question of what really distinguish man from machine.
  22. BruceN.
    Aug 13, 2001
    A somewhat disjointed, strange movie typical of Spielberg! It is another example of Spielberg's "spoiled brat" approach to making movies. If you want a nice quiet place to take a nap, go see A.I.
  23. PatriciaF.
    Aug 27, 2001
    Am I the only one that noticed this film didn't know which way to go, it was like three or four plots pasted together. My husband covered it well as we walked out: "What was the point of that?"
  24. L.W.
    Sep 15, 2002
    This movie was HORRIBLE! What were these people thinking? This movie should've ended like ten times, but no, it kept going on and on and on! I don't know why people liked this movie because it had no point to it and it just plain sucked. This movie was a big flop for a reason!!!
  25. ShaunT.
    Jul 31, 2003
    This is a fairly interesting, though devastatingly depressing film. The cast is good, but the overall mood of the film is so teary that it is near to impossible to enjoy. It is also overly long in its running time and, overall, it is way too depressing for its own good. Almost miserable to watch, although somewhat interesting to watch.
  26. S.Gold
    Dec 21, 2005
    This movie is a bad creepy, boring, overlong, pointless, and weird among other things avoid if you can. Spielberg's worst!
  27. Jul 10, 2015
    Unfortunately, HBO has been sucking up valuable time I pay for by showing this film ad nauseam this month. It still stinks and looks even older. Awful story, treacly music, ridiculous plot, horrible acting, lamest ending ever conceived of. It's supposed to be a tearjerker but it is a head scratcher. If I were Ted, I would commit suicide thinking that my future teddy bear self would end upUnfortunately, HBO has been sucking up valuable time I pay for by showing this film ad nauseam this month. It still stinks and looks even older. Awful story, treacly music, ridiculous plot, horrible acting, lamest ending ever conceived of. It's supposed to be a tearjerker but it is a head scratcher. If I were Ted, I would commit suicide thinking that my future teddy bear self would end up with THAT family. Humans is much much better and William Hurt is not being wasted there. Expand

What we're left with -- Kubrick or no -- is a muddled, messy disaster of a film, something that seems more like a drastically edited miniseries, cut down to incomprehensible levels with whole sections missing.
  2. Pure magic, a three-act movie fantasy that transports us -- as the best films do -- to a world of its own, a place of ambiguous joy and delirious terror.
  3. Audiences may find that the deliberate, Kubrickesque pacing -- without his intellectual rigor -- causes them to tune out.