7.9

1. Nov 2, 2013
    (It took a long time for me to watch this film in the Tribeca Film Festival. So its a late review) James Franco brings his tactics altogether in As I Lay Dying. First of all, Franco makes a beautiful and reflective film that absorbs power and danger. It's a little slow but once the drama pumps it begins. As I Lay Dying is one of Franco's greatest films yet In my opinion. The acting also done by James is astonishing and breathtaking. This is a must watch movie with forgivable pacing flaws. Hard, Gritty and Powerful- As I Lay Dying is a must watch for anyone. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Kyle Smith
    Oct 11, 2013
    As Franco dilutes the drama with first-year-film-student gimmicks, like split screens and slow motion, it just seems like a dull collection of pointless monologues from actors who can’t even be bothered to match up their accents. Franco is a dilettante, and it shows.
  2. Reviewed by: A.O. Scott
    Oct 10, 2013
    In rushing in where wise men might fear to tread, Mr. Franco has accomplished something serious and worthwhile. His As I Lay Dying is certainly ambitious, but it is also admirably modest.
  3. Reviewed by: Elizabeth Weitzman
    Oct 10, 2013
    Alas, the split-screen compositions, slow-motion effects, pensive closeups and prosthetic teeth can’t distract from what’s missing: Faulkner’s pointed but deeply buried observations of the human condition.