7.5

1. GeorgeJ
    Jun 16, 2010
    Graphics phenomenal but story sucked. Unubtainium, really? They couldn't have come up with anything better.
  2. NunoV.
    Jun 19, 2010
    Absurdely overrated. cgi masturbation with a lackluster plot and ridiculous neo-hippie fairy-tale.
  3. MattN.
    May 23, 2010
    Great visuals and effects, but thats simply all that Avatar has to offer. No story, viciously bad overacting and dialogue older than Sigourney Weaver herself. Very boring and far too long.
  4. DaltonO
    Jun 14, 2010
    Eh, yeah its all 3D, yeah its got allot of special effects and costs allot, yeah its got blue alien boobs, but other than that there is nothing here. Terrible cliche, hole-filled plot leaves you bored. Its kind of amazing how you can have such a crappy plot and waste 4 hours on it. After you watch it you think its good at first, but that is just an effect from the CGI and 3D. Soon you Eh, yeah its all 3D, yeah its got allot of special effects and costs allot, yeah its got blue alien boobs, but other than that there is nothing here. Terrible cliche, hole-filled plot leaves you bored. Its kind of amazing how you can have such a crappy plot and waste 4 hours on it. After you watch it you think its good at first, but that is just an effect from the CGI and 3D. Soon you will realize how lame it is. "the Eywa sees you!" ugg soooo cheesy. Expand
  5. Sep 14, 2010
    I legitimately have no idea how this film has been getting so many positive reviews. Someone once said great films were a combination of technical innovation and artistic achievement. While Avatar certainly nails the technical side, it's artistic half leaves a lot to be desired.

A by-the-numbers cookie-cutter plot with poor writing and awful dialogue.
  6. DJ
    Jan 2, 2010
    Literally the best movie I have ever seen. I was completely and totally blown away. This is the first movie in my entire life where I didn't want it to end.
  7. May 18, 2013
    Great visual effects, film and mounted with a spectacular photography and a magnificent art direction and stunning views, but their enrendo is not the best yet it is still a great movie.
  8. A.E.
    Feb 21, 2010
    Superb special effects can't make-up for a predictible plot and so-so acting. See it in 3D at the theater--no need to ever see this movie on the small screen.
  9. PhilB.
    Feb 6, 2010
    I struggle to understand how anyone can be so sucked in by the graphics that they overlook the recycled plot, terrible dialogue and mediocre performances. If indeed it does change cinema forever then it's a sad day for film-making when focussing on the 3D is a substitute for trying to make a good film. I'm just thankful I've not met a single person who was "blown away", in I struggle to understand how anyone can be so sucked in by the graphics that they overlook the recycled plot, terrible dialogue and mediocre performances. If indeed it does change cinema forever then it's a sad day for film-making when focussing on the 3D is a substitute for trying to make a good film. I'm just thankful I've not met a single person who was "blown away", in fact I don't know anyone who'd award it more than a 7. Expand
  10. KathyS
    Apr 8, 2010
    Too long, vastly over-rated.
  11. juand
    Dec 20, 2009
    Too bad they couldn't afford good writers--the budget was blown on eye candy, but the message is the same old tired anti-Western nihilist propaganda.
  12. DP
    Jan 26, 2010
    Getting past the awe of a fast panning 3D environment--which is difficult for many sci-fi junkies--I grade the movie on what we'll think outside of our temporary giddiness. When we come back to this movie, the lack of depth in the characterization, the weak attempts at philosophy, and the over stated Gia-Green Earth message will not only bore us, it will insult us. Remember Jar-Jar Getting past the awe of a fast panning 3D environment--which is difficult for many sci-fi junkies--I grade the movie on what we'll think outside of our temporary giddiness. When we come back to this movie, the lack of depth in the characterization, the weak attempts at philosophy, and the over stated Gia-Green Earth message will not only bore us, it will insult us. Remember Jar-Jar from Starwars Episode 1. We tolerated him on the first viewing, but has made repeated viewings intolerable. Once the shiny green is gone; the movie will be as well--or we'll just stare with pitiful regret at a box on our shelves. Expand
  13. MiKE
    Dec 18, 2009
    The special effects, are great. But the movie is nothing more then eye candy, also I found it extermely boring to watch. Small plot with ALOT of filler. See "dances with wolves" and just imagine that being set 200 years into the future and that is exactly what you get! There are numerous silly/dump ideas thought out the whole movie. I really enjoyed Camerons movies from the past, But this The special effects, are great. But the movie is nothing more then eye candy, also I found it extermely boring to watch. Small plot with ALOT of filler. See "dances with wolves" and just imagine that being set 200 years into the future and that is exactly what you get! There are numerous silly/dump ideas thought out the whole movie. I really enjoyed Camerons movies from the past, But this is the worst one. Expand
  14. Bill
    Dec 18, 2009
    I have not yet seen it, but does this smack of Hollywoods' attempt to bash the US military again? The timing of Iraq and the making of this film cannot be a coincidence.
  15. Oct 29, 2010
    There's a certain something to be said about the power of a visually strong movie like Avatar. It's kinda like a sleazy, but charismatic sales person. You like the person while your in his office, cause he just reeks of charm (or cigarettes) and you buy in to his pitch, cause he's good at what he does, but when you leave the store, you find that you really didn't like the product that muchThere's a certain something to be said about the power of a visually strong movie like Avatar. It's kinda like a sleazy, but charismatic sales person. You like the person while your in his office, cause he just reeks of charm (or cigarettes) and you buy in to his pitch, cause he's good at what he does, but when you leave the store, you find that you really didn't like the product that much after all. That's kinda how I feel about Avatar. The movie's visuals are amazing and I would say that nothing will be defeating it anytime soon as far as that goes. But when you brush away all that, what you're left with isn't necessarily a bad movie, but an average to ok one. I say this because most of the time I spent watching it was marveling at the amazing visuals that Cameron's team presented us. That part I can't heap enough praise on, but other than that, the story of the movie pretty much comes across as a straight up black and white morality play. I can understand the "it's just a movie" that people may say to that kind of suggestion, but where it doesn't hold up is when you try to pass the movie off as a political/social statement about our society. Nothing in reality is ever black and white, and to do so discredits a lot of what makes us a very complicated, arrogant, and interesting species. Aside from it's horrid attempts to justify why our material world is wrong, the story presents the humans as evil, greedy, and violent; but the Na'vi are peaceful, harmonious, and coexist with nature. Of course the main character ends up going native, finds he likes the tribe more, and then sides with them in the upcoming inevitable bloodbath, and the usual sequence of most big budget movies plays out with no originality whatsoever. Still the movie does entertain, even though it provides a mixed message, and there are some very interesting moments. The real credit to Avatar is the level of thought put into the actual world itself, and here the production/design team did a remarkable job in making Pandora a reality. To me it's a shame that they went for a more simplified story of good and evil as opposed to something more complex and real, but I guess that was never their intention in the first place. It probably wouldn't have been as successful in the theatres if it was. A simple message doesn't mean a bad one, but in this case it was more of a typical one. Expand
  16. Feb 5, 2011
    Awfully clichedyl, horribly acted and scripted and stupidly over-hyped. Also lead to about two weeks of non-stop mindless gibberish from stupid 12 year-olds who seem to think that making a ridiculously high budget immediately makes a film brilliant.
  17. Oct 23, 2013
    hurr hurr hurr look at me i use words like mediocre performance and other intelligent sounding words when the only thing i dont like about the movie is that its made the most money ever. Im a rebel i go aqainst what everyone else says just so i can be different from the crowd even though i secretly love this movie hurr hurr hurr
  18. Ndi
    Aug 18, 2013
    You know how some movies and series are all story and no special effects, and they are still awesome, like Dr Who, and Red Dwarf, and animation. Well, Avatar is the exact opposite. A tech demo of what budget can do in this day and age, but that is it.

Lame recycled story, copied scenes, it's like someone cut some scenes from other movies and re-animated them on a PC with blue people.

The only redeeming quality of the story, frankly, is the fact that the humans are somewhat accurately portrayed. Villains, but not idiotic unexplained villainy, but a nice blend of excusable and inexcusable.

This is a movie that is seen, not understood. Eye candy, and not a very good one at that. The people are blends of 2 Earth animals, the animals are blends of 2 Earth animals, basically, it's just a jungle people story with cream on top.

Under no circumstances is this movie a high scorer. Tech demo, 10. Movie, 5 because of the experience. Seriously, if seeing a movie on a small 2D screen makes it sucky, then it was sucky to begin with.
  19. Aug 10, 2013
    This is Pocahontas in space, literally look it up, it's the same plot just with different character names and it's in space. Moreover, it has numerous plot holes and makes the natives out to be perfect, when they are not. The largest and most glaring plot hole was the ending, when the spirit of the plant life or something brought in all the wild animals to attack the humans, even when theThis is Pocahontas in space, literally look it up, it's the same plot just with different character names and it's in space. Moreover, it has numerous plot holes and makes the natives out to be perfect, when they are not. The largest and most glaring plot hole was the ending, when the spirit of the plant life or something brought in all the wild animals to attack the humans, even when the entirety of the preceding movie explicitly said on numerous occasions that this does NOT happen ever, for any reason. The second being 'Unobtainium', the stupidest sounding plot device ever and a large deposit just happens to be under a tree that the natives live in. Despite the numerous sub-surface mining techniques available, the CEO or whoever decided to just attack the natives for no reason, just to show the contrast between the 'perfect' natives and the 'evil' humans (white people). This movie is anti-colonialism, clearly, but it's so one-sided it's not even funny.

Really, this is just James Cameron's attempt to create his own Fursona. The single most expensive piece of self-insert Mary-sue furry fanfiction ever created, and people treat it like it's some sort of iconic movie.

People think this is good because it's pretty, but once you look past the glamour and see this from an objective perspective, you can see that this is bad. A rip off of Pocahontas. 3-D is a stupid gimmick anyway, they should knock that off.

For reasons so blatantly obvious most people miss it.
  20. Jul 18, 2013
    Visually, this film dazzles and amazes. Story- this film is an overly preachy and overly long and an overblown film. I really didn't like it at all. My opinion. There you go. Oh and the 3D, made me sick.
  21. Aug 17, 2013
    Best movie of all time, since i have to have 150 characters, here is a long yeah. yyyyyeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
  22. Sep 27, 2013
    A bland, cliched story with average acting and although the special effects are superb, it doesn't stop the film from being a mediocre bore-fest that you'll forget in a couple weeks time.
  23. Apr 10, 2014
    I think I'm a minority on my stance towards this movie. I don't have mixed feelings about it just to be edgy and apart from everyone else, it just rubbed me a little differently. I was largely absent from all the hype that surrounded it when it was released: I finally saw the movie towards the end of its theatrical run. With that being said, I had a much clearer perspective on it, seeingI think I'm a minority on my stance towards this movie. I don't have mixed feelings about it just to be edgy and apart from everyone else, it just rubbed me a little differently. I was largely absent from all the hype that surrounded it when it was released: I finally saw the movie towards the end of its theatrical run. With that being said, I had a much clearer perspective on it, seeing it in a theater with maybe 10 other people in it, and I can honestly say after seeing it, it's one of the most overrated movies of all time. For starters, I think the movie takes itself too seriously. At it's core, the plot is essentially an updated version of "Pocahontas" or "Dances With Wolves." I was genuinely entertained for the first half hour, in which you're introduced to the main characters and the setting of Pandora, but then movie started to take another turn. The whole thing was simply overshadowed by this very self-righteous, naturalist message about how we have to take care of the planet. Now don't get me wrong, I care for the environment, but when I feel like I'm watching a $300,000,000 EPA PSA, it kind of ruins the effect of a movie that comes from the director of Terminator 2. Throughout the movie, various other sci-fi elements are taken from movies like the Matrix and Jurassic Park, and subsequently accompanied by video game quality dialogue. In a word -- it's all over the place and just comes off sappy. Rather than a sophisticated narrative geared towards adults, Cameron just decided to go completely Saturday morning cartoon with this one, causing tons of merchandise and distribution out the ass that caters mainly to middle school boys who take garbage like this too seriously. But hey, it has amazing special effects, so I guess the it's saving grace is the familiarity of the director, and that it looks pretty. Expand
  24. Oct 5, 2014
    This is the worst movie i have ever seen. if there was a lower review then 0 then i would have put that. if i got a copy of this movie i would set it on fire and dance on its ashes
  25. Sep 10, 2011
    Despite "Avatar"'s heavy plot, Blockbuster king James Cameron impresses us with fantastic visuals and CGI of the Na'vi and human battle scenes in (Le Gasp!) 3D.
  26. Nov 25, 2012
    Avatar is no doubt my least favorite film of all time for one simple reason: it is everything wrong with Hollywood. Over-budgeted production cost, the lure of 3D to draw viewers, manipulative characters and political messages, and the complete lack of depth in the characters and story plague this beautiful looking film. To say that this film is bad would be a lie, but I despise this filmAvatar is no doubt my least favorite film of all time for one simple reason: it is everything wrong with Hollywood. Over-budgeted production cost, the lure of 3D to draw viewers, manipulative characters and political messages, and the complete lack of depth in the characters and story plague this beautiful looking film. To say that this film is bad would be a lie, but I despise this film so much due to it's one-dimensional characters and predictable and unoriginal story. James Cameron has done some great work in his career (The Terminator films, Aliens, [and even] Titanic), but Avatar is not among that prestigious list. Avatar only goes to prove that visual effects and action scenes do not guarantee a good film. For example, 12 Angry Men is one of the greatest films ever and it contains no action, CGI, and lacks multiple locations; the entire appeal of the film lies in its strong characters, dialogue, premise, and confrontations. Avatar lacks all these quintessential elements, and therefore suffers. Expand
  27. MichaelH
    Jan 21, 2010
    I was pleasantly surprised by Avatar. I am usually a pretty good judge of movies from their trailers but the trailer for Avatar is filled with some of the more cliched elements. The CGI effects are marvelous and the realization of the world of Pandora is very detailed and persuasive. Having read cynical accounts of the plot as "Dances with Smurfs" I was also surprised by the story which I was pleasantly surprised by Avatar. I am usually a pretty good judge of movies from their trailers but the trailer for Avatar is filled with some of the more cliched elements. The CGI effects are marvelous and the realization of the world of Pandora is very detailed and persuasive. Having read cynical accounts of the plot as "Dances with Smurfs" I was also surprised by the story which was not exactly the strength of the movie but also didn't detract too much from the movie going experience. I feel a little sorry for people who become deeply attached to this movie and wrapped up in its reality...but on the other hand, I might even consider going to the movie again in the IMAX version. Collapse
  28. P.M.
    Jan 24, 2010
    There's more to a movie than a good plot, and I can't think of any movie that demonstrates this better than Avatar. If everything about a movie was amazing except for the story, I feel you can honestly call it a good movie.
  29. Dec 29, 2010
    When I first watched this movie I was blown away. It is probably my favourite movie of all-time but then I seen it a second time and I kind of got a bit more bored than the last time I watched it. It's still a great movie though.
  30. Mar 18, 2011
    Absolutely hands down, the most over hyped/ over rated movie in history. I saw this movie when it came out in theatres and i hated it so much i had to vent as soon as i became a member of metacritic. sure the special effects are good, but thats not enough to salvage the terrible acting and dreadful script. the entire story is borrowed from other hollywood movies. it disgusts me how muchAbsolutely hands down, the most over hyped/ over rated movie in history. I saw this movie when it came out in theatres and i hated it so much i had to vent as soon as i became a member of metacritic. sure the special effects are good, but thats not enough to salvage the terrible acting and dreadful script. the entire story is borrowed from other hollywood movies. it disgusts me how much people love this movie. to me this shows just how simple and shallow movie goers are. the aliens were just friggen annoying to listen to and to look at. Ive never fallen asleep in the theater, but this got me pretty close. just a boring, eye candy laced, piece of **** movie. Expand
  31. JoshuaB.
    May 16, 2010
    The visuals were amazing, but who cares? The story went nowhere. This movie is quite simply nothing more than heavy-handed environmentalism under the guise of a lackluster alien romance. The acting was atrocious, the characters were dull, and the middle three fourths of the movie could have been removed and no plot development would have been lost. These things are the calling cards of The visuals were amazing, but who cares? The story went nowhere. This movie is quite simply nothing more than heavy-handed environmentalism under the guise of a lackluster alien romance. The acting was atrocious, the characters were dull, and the middle three fourths of the movie could have been removed and no plot development would have been lost. These things are the calling cards of terrible movies. Expand
  32. Aug 27, 2010
    I had heard a lot about "Avatar" before seeing it, and the general complaint from most was the movie's lack of originality. Having seen the movie, I would agree that the premise is nowhere near unique, but to me originality shouldn't be the basis for judging the quality of a film. More than anything a truly great movie should be striking, and Avatar is precisely that. James Cameron usedI had heard a lot about "Avatar" before seeing it, and the general complaint from most was the movie's lack of originality. Having seen the movie, I would agree that the premise is nowhere near unique, but to me originality shouldn't be the basis for judging the quality of a film. More than anything a truly great movie should be striking, and Avatar is precisely that. James Cameron used his budget ($237m) to create one of the most engrossing environments to ever grace the screen, and pushed the 3D technology (which I don't even like) to the limit. The result is pure spectacle; behind me in the movie theater there was a family with three children and throughout the 2 1/2 hours there were constant exclamations of "Wow!" and "Oohh!" I would have been slightly annoyed had I not realized I wanted to say the same things, and for a movie to revert a hardened critic like me to a world of pure escapist wonder, I have to give the film credit. Expand
  33. Dec 19, 2010
    Nowhere near as good as people make it out to be. The storyline is average, the characters aren't very well developed and the acting is poor but, apparently, this doesn't matter to anyone because in these modern times a movie seems to be able to get around based on special effects alone and Avatar is a prime example of this. It made a lot of money because it was visually great despite howNowhere near as good as people make it out to be. The storyline is average, the characters aren't very well developed and the acting is poor but, apparently, this doesn't matter to anyone because in these modern times a movie seems to be able to get around based on special effects alone and Avatar is a prime example of this. It made a lot of money because it was visually great despite how bad it was a movie. I'm very happy that this crap didn't pick up a Best Picture Oscar, it didn't deserve it. Expand
  34. Jan 24, 2012
    Visually, Its extremely impressive and I was shocked that James Cameron didnt win the oscar for best director because of the visual effects in the film and the ground breaking use of CGI as well. However, The film sucks. The acting is terrible, the plot not only sucks but is a complete rip off of Dances With Wolves, and its incredibly boring (I was only entertained in 3 very short parts inVisually, Its extremely impressive and I was shocked that James Cameron didnt win the oscar for best director because of the visual effects in the film and the ground breaking use of CGI as well. However, The film sucks. The acting is terrible, the plot not only sucks but is a complete rip off of Dances With Wolves, and its incredibly boring (I was only entertained in 3 very short parts in the entire film). Sorry but the visuals can only get you so far in my book and this film just doesnt cut it imo. Expand
  35. Jan 4, 2013
    Most overrated movie in history. The only good thing about Avatar is the visuals. The world is pretty to look at but.. well, there's nothing there. The story is horrible, the characters annoying, and the scenarios they find themselves in absolutely ridiculous
  36. BrendanW
    Jan 2, 2010
    I wanted to be entertained and I was. The story could use some work though.
  37. Feb 26, 2011
    james cameron, stop trying to shoving life lessons down my throat and wow me with visual effects, make a good movie without sam worthington your boyfriend.
  38. Jan 4, 2011
    If I wanted to watch cartoons I most definitely would watch ROBOT CHICKEN. One or two of my in-laws INSISTED that the characters in this were REAL (not computer generated real but REAL!!!) That is the type of intellectual hooraying for this gigantic waste of my time that makes me squirm. OK the effects were decent. But I DO NOT watch movies for their effects. The story was adolescent andIf I wanted to watch cartoons I most definitely would watch ROBOT CHICKEN. One or two of my in-laws INSISTED that the characters in this were REAL (not computer generated real but REAL!!!) That is the type of intellectual hooraying for this gigantic waste of my time that makes me squirm. OK the effects were decent. But I DO NOT watch movies for their effects. The story was adolescent and the "camera work" was marginal at best. Try watching cinema and not a 3d cartoon, you might find your artistic integrity improved. Expand
  39. Nov 13, 2010
    Avatar is a great movie, but just how great is it? While I thought it was pretty cool that they based all the air and space craft on ones from the Halo series, the story was a bit of a disappointment. I was never really into Pocahontas or Ferngully when a was younger, and I was never into old movies like Dancing with Wolves, so the story of Avatar did not really stick out to me. VisuallyAvatar is a great movie, but just how great is it? While I thought it was pretty cool that they based all the air and space craft on ones from the Halo series, the story was a bit of a disappointment. I was never really into Pocahontas or Ferngully when a was younger, and I was never into old movies like Dancing with Wolves, so the story of Avatar did not really stick out to me. Visually the film was quite enticing with it's colourful scenery, it was not all that interesting because of the story. Avatar had much potential, but I am not so sure it lived up to its potential.â Expand
  40. Aug 23, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. AVATAR (or, as some seem to enjoy calling it, "The Blue People Movie", which really should be THE SMURFS, not this) is an adventurous, intense movie, and the best movie you can think of to be the highest-grossing film, both worldwide and in America. Very few parts of this actually truly ticked me off, but there were a few to name: such as near the ending, when it began to get boring (a habit many creative sci-fi films such as even INCEPTION get into); and when Grace (Sigourney Weaver) died. Expand
  41. Aug 3, 2012
    This film reaches a new level when it comes to both technology and creativity. It´s a really good created alter/reality that will hold your attention with ease during the entire ride. Visuals and atmosphere give this this movie an absolute a-status. The created world is absorbing your brain so bad that the average story won't bother you even 1 second. This one shines in utter greatness!
  42. Aug 13, 2011
    Avatar is an agonizing movie with amazing visuals and incredible use of 3-D and motion capture technology. In the purely technical sense, this film is a masterpiece; however, in terms of story, characters and ability to develop the plot, the film fails miserably. Every single character in this film is not only uninteresting but undeveloped. Think about it... what do you REALLY know aboutAvatar is an agonizing movie with amazing visuals and incredible use of 3-D and motion capture technology. In the purely technical sense, this film is a masterpiece; however, in terms of story, characters and ability to develop the plot, the film fails miserably. Every single character in this film is not only uninteresting but undeveloped. Think about it... what do you REALLY know about Jake or Nyteri? The dialogue is also horrendous. At times my jaw dropped at how uninspired the lines were. "I see you" in particular feels cheesy and overused. Then there is the awful love story. It is without a doubt one of the worst development of a couple I have ever seen in a film. We go from Nyteri HATING Jake to them occasionally nudging each other and laughing to...well them doing under the tree of souls or whatever it's called. I know months have passed in the story, but only 45 minutes have passed to us, and nothing in the film explained or showed how their feelings grew for each other. Giving someone a meaningful look once doesn't count as developing a couple. To top it off, this movie is excruciatingly long. By the time you see it for the second or third time you will be constantly checking your watch. It just won't end! The film could have easily cut 20-30 minutes. While there are a lot of pretty images, the plot and characters are pretty ugly. Expand
  43. StevenM
    Jun 6, 2010
    It was fun to watch, but I hated how recycled it is. Great visuals, but James Cameron could have done so much more with the plot line, characters, and general movie. I was disappointed to say the least.
  44. Jun 19, 2011
    If Pocahontas was a 3D live action film starring blue people, this would be the result.
  45. RaymondS.
    Jun 18, 2010
    Boring, but visually amazing.
  46. Aug 14, 2010
    My only wish is that they would have made the movie an hour longer. You don't want to leave Pandora. What a truly amazing creation of a world and culture.
  47. Sep 2, 2010
    First time watching this your not going to have any negative points, as it will win you over with graphical wizardry. And boy, are the graphics good. With very highly realistic environments, seeing it in 3D on the big screen is something magical. Assessing the film afterwards reveals a highly weak and wooden story that is just holding the film together with the visuals. Though theFirst time watching this your not going to have any negative points, as it will win you over with graphical wizardry. And boy, are the graphics good. With very highly realistic environments, seeing it in 3D on the big screen is something magical. Assessing the film afterwards reveals a highly weak and wooden story that is just holding the film together with the visuals. Though the storyline is utter guff, the 'wow' moments might just make this a great film. Just. Expand
  48. Apr 9, 2011
    this movie is garbage. and whoever thinks that it is the "Best movie of all time" remove the special effects and see how holds up to the title of "best move of all time". as for the special effects... the 3d was good in some parts but overall unnecessary, it could have got by without it. as for story... could be wrapped up in an hour rather then three hours. the action only showed up atthis movie is garbage. and whoever thinks that it is the "Best movie of all time" remove the special effects and see how holds up to the title of "best move of all time". as for the special effects... the 3d was good in some parts but overall unnecessary, it could have got by without it. as for story... could be wrapped up in an hour rather then three hours. the action only showed up at the "big battle" at the end other then that it was useless filler. overall: not worth the money or time

(on a side note why did it look like all the aircraft look like it was ripped out of Halo?)
  49. Aug 10, 2011
    Despite almost being a spin off of Dances With Wolves, the ridiculously beautiful visuals, believable and likable characters, and successful good Vs. evil theme makes this movie one of 2009's best
  50. Nov 21, 2011
    Ok listen for all you bad reviewers: If your not looking for an action movie, go watch a freakin romantic comedy. Thats not this movie. The effects are amazing and stop bring the stupid, childish Pocahontas or whatever into this film. They're nothing alike. This movie was rated better then Titanic and has awesome plot and idea and characters that are realistic.
  51. JonathanS
    May 29, 2010
    This movie has terrible dialogue, poor acting, and a plot an 8 year old could write. Go watch Pocahontas if you want to see this movie; same story, better everything.
  52. EvinC.
    Jan 2, 2010
    Almost great film. the 3D was too overwhelming. I prefer the the original version of the film. Kudos to Worthington and Cameron.
  53. Aug 11, 2010
    Looks good but painfully cliched. I for one would recommend a rent just to see lovely it does really look, but it doesn't take long to find how shallow the charachters truly are
  54. LarryS
    May 26, 2010
    A typical piece of American shoot up em sensless piece of trash. Cameron has stolen ideas from a range of films and merged them into a silly unbelievably juvenile plot. Lots of violence and a story with nothing to say. Writing and dialogue are amateurish with characters that seem to be taken from comic books. The only thing that makes this film remotely watchable are the special effects. A typical piece of American shoot up em sensless piece of trash. Cameron has stolen ideas from a range of films and merged them into a silly unbelievably juvenile plot. Lots of violence and a story with nothing to say. Writing and dialogue are amateurish with characters that seem to be taken from comic books. The only thing that makes this film remotely watchable are the special effects. Movie making at it's worst. Shame on the critics who didn't have the courage to pan this gross waste of money. Expand
  55. EshanW
    Jun 10, 2010
    If story was bit stronger than it would be also great as "The Terminator" However, its a Master Piece.
  56. Seamus
    Jun 11, 2010
    Pieac of crap, vidja games have been doing better worlds for years and they don't cost a trillion dollars. Cameron's worst movie to date, totally predictable.
  57. Aug 14, 2010
    James Cameron has returned from the deep abyss that was Titanic to create something truely remarkable. Avatar is a film shot in digital 3D. However it far suceeds, in terms of techincality, recent films such as Beowulf and UP. It really is a marvel of architecture. The expressions on the faces of the characters are scaringly un-canny, and the same goes for the environment in which theyJames Cameron has returned from the deep abyss that was Titanic to create something truely remarkable. Avatar is a film shot in digital 3D. However it far suceeds, in terms of techincality, recent films such as Beowulf and UP. It really is a marvel of architecture. The expressions on the faces of the characters are scaringly un-canny, and the same goes for the environment in which they live in. However all that said, there are some downfalls of this film. For example, the story is extremely thin. It is very easy to get caught up in the beauty of this film, and forget about the cliche full narative, that frankly, if you noticed how bad it was, leaves you feeling like a bit of a sucker. It follows an ex marine called Sam, and is set in the decade of 2050. It starts on board a space ship, that is approaching a fictional planet named 'Pandora'. We later learn that it contains a very valuable substance, and thus why the Americans decide to invade. Sam is chosen, and this is where the 'Avatar' comes in. It is basically a suit that he wears during the time he is in the simulation pod (that allows him to travel to Pandora) it disguises him as one of the 'Na'vi' (the big blue aliens). His goal is to persaude the Na'vi to move away. However in typical fashion he falls in love with one of the indeginous, and we have a classic story. A sort of good cop bad cop scenerio. The good guy being Sam who decides to betray the US and save the Na'vi. The bad guy being an Army General that wants to invade, however he did resemble a character from Toy Soldiers. Without giving away too much, we end up with a happy ending, that like I said earlier, fails to satisfy. However, if you mangage to ignore the story, and just marvel at the CGI, you will be pleased, this is one you have to see on the big screen though, and if you can, see it in 3D. In short it's the cherry without the cake, glamorous but with the essential bits missing. Expand
  58. Oct 17, 2010
    While a beautiful movie to look at, the intense CGI cannot hide the hopelessly derivative story and generally poor acting. While the world of Pandora is nice to look at, it is poorly thought out. All the characters are caricatures of the worst movie stereotypes. We have the badass soldier chick, the angry army commander, the hero who just wants to do the right thing, and the industryWhile a beautiful movie to look at, the intense CGI cannot hide the hopelessly derivative story and generally poor acting. While the world of Pandora is nice to look at, it is poorly thought out. All the characters are caricatures of the worst movie stereotypes. We have the badass soldier chick, the angry army commander, the hero who just wants to do the right thing, and the industry crazed maniac.

It took James Cameron 2h 40m to tell a story that Disney managed to tell in half the time.
  59. DerekS
    Jun 17, 2010
    Cameron was reminiscent of Michael Bay's dedication to special effects in this incredibly clichéd and (with regards to plot and characters) lackluster film. The characters all filled positions of clichés, leaving nothing unexpected through the entire plot. I found myself predicting lines and events before they occurred, a feat which never leads to a good feeling about a Cameron was reminiscent of Michael Bay's dedication to special effects in this incredibly clichéd and (with regards to plot and characters) lackluster film. The characters all filled positions of clichés, leaving nothing unexpected through the entire plot. I found myself predicting lines and events before they occurred, a feat which never leads to a good feeling about a movie. The special effects were phenomenal, but everything else seemed less important. Expand
  60. PeteG
    Jun 11, 2010
    I didn't see Avatar at the cinema - something about it just said to me it would be all style no substance. So I waited until it was released on DVD and bought it a couple of days after it was released, and it sat on the shelf for several weeks until one quiet evening when there was nothing on TV worth watching. Well, it was exactly as I feared: a visual spectacle with absolutely no I didn't see Avatar at the cinema - something about it just said to me it would be all style no substance. So I waited until it was released on DVD and bought it a couple of days after it was released, and it sat on the shelf for several weeks until one quiet evening when there was nothing on TV worth watching. Well, it was exactly as I feared: a visual spectacle with absolutely no substance to back it up. The plot is puerile, derivative and overladen with the kind of crass, heavy-handed environmental messages you'd expect if an eight year old had written the script. Characterisation was paper thin and the actors mostly seemed on auto-pilot, either hamming it up or as wooden as the Na'vi's beloved trees. I'm all for no-brainer entertainment, but frankly I felt insulted. Mr Cameron, spend some of your frankly ridiculous budget on a decent script next time please. The score of 2 is for the admittedly great visuals and entertaining final reel battle only - the rest of the film scores a big fat zero. Expand
  61. Nov 27, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is the most overrated piece of politically correct, anti-American garbage I've ever seen. This movie is about a man who betrays his own country! How is that "heroic" or worthy of admiration???So, it has cool special effects. Whoopty-f***ing-do! I can't believe this piece of crap movie was so beloved by everyone. Apparently, pretty colors and cool explosions are all the typical modern consumer cares about. How sad. Expand
  62. JasonW
    May 15, 2010
    Cool visuals, but awful acting and a horrendous plot. I couldn't even make it through the entire movie. I walked out of the theater because I was so bored and could predict the entire movie after the first 10 minutes.
  63. AvatarM.
    Jun 3, 2010
    full points for visual prowess but zero points for plot and originality-the whole time i was watching it i was thinking wow this is a return to my childhood-it's the upgraded Pocahontas! I was waiting for the animals to talk..had they spend more time on character development and originality there would have been nothing to criticize. In their defense having an original alien movie full points for visual prowess but zero points for plot and originality-the whole time i was watching it i was thinking wow this is a return to my childhood-it's the upgraded Pocahontas! I was waiting for the animals to talk..had they spend more time on character development and originality there would have been nothing to criticize. In their defense having an original alien movie would be difficult...after all there are so many alien movies out there. Expand
  64. doorgo
    Jun 19, 2010
    Are the visual effects breathtaking? Of course, but it's absolutely unforgivable to give credit to a near scene by scene re-make of Disney's Pocahontas. No one in all of Hollywood could come up with an original script for what was to be potentially a breakthrough in 3D filming? I refuse to believe there are no ideas left in Hollywood, but obviously you can't get a Are the visual effects breathtaking? Of course, but it's absolutely unforgivable to give credit to a near scene by scene re-make of Disney's Pocahontas. No one in all of Hollywood could come up with an original script for what was to be potentially a breakthrough in 3D filming? I refuse to believe there are no ideas left in Hollywood, but obviously you can't get a screenplay made unless it came from a graphic novel or is outright stolen from a previous script(whether it was good or not). It's just a sad shame. Expand
  65. phil
    May 15, 2010
    This movie was a piece of crap. A predictable storyline that plays on some of the most racist character archetypes I've ever seen in a modern film. People say, OMG, the film looks so realistic, who cares about the plot? Yea, so did Jurassic Park, and that film came out 17 years ago, but still managed to have a unique story, with great characters, and a good Aesop. Industries give This movie was a piece of crap. A predictable storyline that plays on some of the most racist character archetypes I've ever seen in a modern film. People say, OMG, the film looks so realistic, who cares about the plot? Yea, so did Jurassic Park, and that film came out 17 years ago, but still managed to have a unique story, with great characters, and a good Aesop. Industries give consumers what we demand. If we are complacent with the tripe they give us, that's all we will get. If all we ask is a film look really good, and nothing else, that's all we will get. A film that looks good, and nothing else. I enjoy seeing films with good stories, and if we don't continue to demand such films, we won't get them. Expand
  66. ThomasG.
    May 3, 2010
    This movie was pretty to look at, but was nothing more. The story was copied and not very good. Besides, the acting was nothing special.
  67. chrisg.
    May 23, 2010
    Cool animation but the anti-american rhetoric was repulsive. Reminded me of a cross between Small Soldiers and The Crucible.
  68. EddyI
    May 28, 2010
    Well, Avatar Quite possibly the most overhyped movie of all time. Acting is average at best, the plot is unoriginal and was carried out far better in movies released a little over 2 decades ago. However, the visuals are breathtaking, but thats pretty much the best part of this movie. In short, if you're going to spend a decade making a movie might as well give it an original story.
  69. SomeRandoGuy
    Jun 15, 2010
    It's ok, not that awesome, but ok. It's long, and it has a lot of good parts. Problem is i'm not a kind of person for this kind of movie, and i was rather bored in a lot of parts. ANother thing i didn't like(my personal opinion) was that all the cool characters died and we were left with a blue smurf and his blue gf, reminded me of that song Blue by eifel65(i wonder why).
  70. Aug 12, 2010
    This is what you call A Great Movie. It will live on as that for a while and perhaps forever. Avatar is spectacular, goofy, and most of all cool. Hopfully Avatar will be remembered for a while, before any other movie takes its place
  71. Aug 21, 2010
    another good film from james camron . not as great as id hoped and some people have said but its still worth seeing . the main problems i have with this film is its presented in its trailors as this HUGE action film . when in reality there really isnt much action till the last 20 min . considering how long it is think they coulda packed abit more in . the story is entertaining althoughanother good film from james camron . not as great as id hoped and some people have said but its still worth seeing . the main problems i have with this film is its presented in its trailors as this HUGE action film . when in reality there really isnt much action till the last 20 min . considering how long it is think they coulda packed abit more in . the story is entertaining although very predictable . the visuals are just out standing pandora really comes to life . the acting is ok i didnt really feel impressed by any one . its a entertaining film that most of the family can sit down and wach and have a fun time . Expand
  72. Aug 20, 2010
    When I sit down to watch a movie, I'd appreciate not being beaten over the head with political agenda bull. Storyline was not only thin and shallow but also extremely distasteful, and purely immature. To me it felt like liberals vs. war-mongering conservatives; childish name calling and finger pointing. Again: when I watch a movie, I find it insulting when it's attempting to brainwash meWhen I sit down to watch a movie, I'd appreciate not being beaten over the head with political agenda bull. Storyline was not only thin and shallow but also extremely distasteful, and purely immature. To me it felt like liberals vs. war-mongering conservatives; childish name calling and finger pointing. Again: when I watch a movie, I find it insulting when it's attempting to brainwash me with political agenda whether it be extreme right or left. On to the next point. The distasteful bits would be the fact that we're supposed to cheer for the aliens---While they slaughter human beings. Now this could have worked if say a large portion of the marines rallied together (representing the audience) to protect Pandora, and the bloodthirsty Corporal (and why is he so bloodthirsty? Any reason?) could have his group of evil followers. And at the end, the humans find negotiation with Pandora and 'wisen' up to their ways (because we violent humans are utterly stupid according to the story. Yes, that means you). No, the movie didn't even do that. It gave no room for redemption, and practically insults you on a personal level. Next Point: If the evil business man was really after wealth, he would've stopped the operation to gather ore. He would've gone after the wealth of medical, biological, and sociological knowledge which would have made him insanely more rich than mining would. And finally, there is the point that many people have brought up: It's a total rip-off. Pocahontas, Dances with Wolves, Fern Gully, Aliens, and Storm Troopers have all been brought up which means the storyline is over used. Movie was highly overrated, critics either don't know their sh*t, are politically biased, or are too gutless to truly critique the film. A great big middle finger to the message of the film, and much love to the artists who made such a beautiful world. Shame on those who shallowly rated the film based upon appearances. Expand
  73. Aug 26, 2010
    The special effects, CG, and sound were awesome. Beyond the eye candy there is simply nothing here. As other reviewers have stated the story is cliched, and the director was trying to make an obvious political statement. I thought this detracted from the overall story. My wife was predicting plot lines and actor lines, and she never does that. The only part of the story that was notThe special effects, CG, and sound were awesome. Beyond the eye candy there is simply nothing here. As other reviewers have stated the story is cliched, and the director was trying to make an obvious political statement. I thought this detracted from the overall story. My wife was predicting plot lines and actor lines, and she never does that. The only part of the story that was not predictable were the huge plot holes throughout the movie. Expand
  74. Sep 2, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is the best movie have ever saw.
    It is cool and grate and fascinating.
    How ever give this movie a lover review than 8 is stupid and he don't know nothing about movies.
    If i am a criticizer I would give Avatar 110%.
    But i give it 10%.
    And i can"t wait no longer for the second and the third from the trilogy.
  75. Sep 8, 2010
    Man when i first went to the theater i though it was going to be great people told me it was one of the best movies of all time so i went and check it out but in the end of the film it turned out to be **** all that was good of the film was the cgi and i dont care for 3d the story was **** the acting was **** the writing was **** the screenplay was **** everything was **** and sadly to sayMan when i first went to the theater i though it was going to be great people told me it was one of the best movies of all time so i went and check it out but in the end of the film it turned out to be **** all that was good of the film was the cgi and i dont care for 3d the story was **** the acting was **** the writing was **** the screenplay was **** everything was **** and sadly to say the directing was **** i love james cameron growing up but he has lost his touch Expand
  76. Nov 6, 2010
    This movie gets a few points in my book for amazing special effects, attempting (ironically) an environmental/anti-corporate message, and a handful of exciting scenes. It is otherwise a trite and pointless exercise in box-office money making. Not only is it a pastiche of many other (better) films, but it is dumbed-down and toothless. The black and white morality, hokey 'spiritualism', andThis movie gets a few points in my book for amazing special effects, attempting (ironically) an environmental/anti-corporate message, and a handful of exciting scenes. It is otherwise a trite and pointless exercise in box-office money making. Not only is it a pastiche of many other (better) films, but it is dumbed-down and toothless. The black and white morality, hokey 'spiritualism', and PG romance set to horrible adult contemporary music, screams "Disney!".
    On a purely technical note, some of the 'camera' work is suspect, especially those 'quick-zooms' or whatever they call them.
    I do not recommend this film to anyone above the age of ten.
  77. Nov 11, 2010
    8 is for the graphics
    0 is for the absolute lack of story originality

It's a all visual and no story.
    Would not recommend this movie, and am glad I got it for free.
  78. Aug 26, 2011
    Congratulations to the special effects and the graphics and the 3D! But, the movie itself is so ridiculous and cheesy. It's terrible. James Cameron can't write a good script. This could have been done a lot better. And, honestly, I'm not interested in watching sequels.
  79. Dec 2, 2010
    Along with the graphics in this movie i personally think this was a near perfect movie!! The storyline was similar to any like it with the enemy becoming friend but there was more to it i think. Showing the love of earth and others though money is there. Understanding others before destroying them is more important.
  80. Dec 8, 2011
    Easily the most overrated film of all time. Visually it loses its impressiveness rather quickly into the film and while it may look great in 3D, In 2D is rathers boring. Not to mention the film's plot is a rip off of Dances With Wolves (Seriously check that out). Also the acting is rather disapointing and sometimes terrible. Overall its visually impressive in 3D but thats it.
  81. EmericC
    Jan 10, 2010
    Avatar is probably the most beautiful film you'll ever see. The visual effects and the story... it's amazing! James Cameron has created a living world, a world that you'll never forget. The film really caught my heart!
  82. GlennH.
    Jan 1, 2010
    Only thing missing was Mel Gibson and the English (Braveheart). Glad the bad guys were contractors (Blackwater types) and not active duty Marines.
  83. JacobL
    Jan 1, 2010
    First off let me make one thing clear, I saw this movie in 2d. Having said that, I thought the movie was still pretty good. Visually the movie looks great and the world of Pandora is gorgeous. Unfortunately, since I wasn't watching it in 3d I wasn't as sucked into the world of Avatar as I would've otherwise. As far as plot goes the movie does a nice job. The characters and First off let me make one thing clear, I saw this movie in 2d. Having said that, I thought the movie was still pretty good. Visually the movie looks great and the world of Pandora is gorgeous. Unfortunately, since I wasn't watching it in 3d I wasn't as sucked into the world of Avatar as I would've otherwise. As far as plot goes the movie does a nice job. The characters and setting are great and the one guy having two identities keeps things interesting as he struggles to find out who he really is. Also, the story in Avatar Humans vs. Navi is different but at the same time very familiar, which I like. My one criticism is where the movie ends. (SPOILIERS ALERT) I really don't like how the Navi defeat the humans because it feels almost forced in there. A more appropriate ending would be when the Navi set off to fight the humans. As a result, of adding on the climactic battle, the movie was too long for my tastes and started to drag. Avatar is the one movie that everyone should see particulary in 3d. You will be amased at the amount of detail in Pandora and find the plot to be very interesting. If you are a parent, bring your kids because to some extent, Avatar will provide them the same joy that a Star Wars movie would. Expand
  84. ChrisB
    Jan 20, 2010
    Amazing movie. I liked it even more the second time. It will revolutionize the way movies are made from now on.
  85. JoelL
    Jan 20, 2010
    I don't understand why some people are down on this movie; I though it was great. The world of Pandora and the Na'vi is impossible not to get sucked into. The visuals are gorgeous. The story, which seems to be the biggest complaint, is there to pull you into this world and it does a pretty fine job. As for the length of the movie, you'll be too captivated to notice how long I don't understand why some people are down on this movie; I though it was great. The world of Pandora and the Na'vi is impossible not to get sucked into. The visuals are gorgeous. The story, which seems to be the biggest complaint, is there to pull you into this world and it does a pretty fine job. As for the length of the movie, you'll be too captivated to notice how long it is. Overall, I think you have to be pretty cynical not to fall in love with this world. Expand
  86. PascalR.
    Jan 30, 2010
    Not someone who gets impressed by much but sat there afterwards thinking I had seen something groundbreaking in 3D and realistic computer graphics. Yeah there are better stories out there, but.......wow!
  87. PeterV
    Dec 18, 2009
    It was a great movie! The visual effects were stunning, the story was a bit longer than it needed to be, but I'd rather have a complete story go a bit beyond than to have a story that has some major holes in it. The message was great and the acting/3D universe was, again, amazing. I rarely go to movies in the theaters any more (because it costs so much) but this one will warrant It was a great movie! The visual effects were stunning, the story was a bit longer than it needed to be, but I'd rather have a complete story go a bit beyond than to have a story that has some major holes in it. The message was great and the acting/3D universe was, again, amazing. I rarely go to movies in the theaters any more (because it costs so much) but this one will warrant another viewing on the big screen. I saw it in the 3D version and it was definitely worth the extra $3.00. Go and enjoy this Action/War/Love/Sci-Fi Movie, you won't regret it. Expand
  88. MaleficarD
    Dec 21, 2009
    Dances with Smurfs, Pocahontas3D: take your pick. Then add in some hypocritical white guilt and you have Avatar. Cameron is a fine film-maker, but this is just dross.
  89. LouisS
    Dec 25, 2009
    Astounding movie. You have to like fantasy films. Also you have to like nature saving type films like Final Fantasy or Pocahantus. If you are into all that then definitely see it and see it in 3D!
  90. JoeC
    Dec 21, 2009
    One small step forward for filmmaking technology, one giant leap backward for writing, acting, directing...oh you know.
  91. Oct 16, 2010
    Avatar delievers with the 3D effects and it really did feel like you were in another world from my point of view but the storyline really dissapointed me, I found it generic and very,very obvious. I guess, mostly the film is really about the out-of-this-world effects and the 3D and the storyline will suffer a bit, but,at points, Twilight was more original. I may be sounding a bit harsh butAvatar delievers with the 3D effects and it really did feel like you were in another world from my point of view but the storyline really dissapointed me, I found it generic and very,very obvious. I guess, mostly the film is really about the out-of-this-world effects and the 3D and the storyline will suffer a bit, but,at points, Twilight was more original. I may be sounding a bit harsh but I just expected a bit more. It was good,but not excellent and not a 10/10. Expand
  92. Oct 11, 2010
    The visual effects are breathtaking and the directing is incredible. The only negative thing about it would be the plot, which is simple and common, but all the rest, visuals, sound, directing, actors, are very, very good.
  93. Aug 29, 2010
    Visually speaking Avatar is the greatest creation ever made in cinema history.It has beautifully put together and has the best visual effects ever made. Avatar is a revolution for the genre and is basically the Star Wars of the next generation. This is Cameron's true masterpiece,and is the greatest 3-D film of all time. Many naysayers say the dialouge does not sound real and is justVisually speaking Avatar is the greatest creation ever made in cinema history.It has beautifully put together and has the best visual effects ever made. Avatar is a revolution for the genre and is basically the Star Wars of the next generation. This is Cameron's true masterpiece,and is the greatest 3-D film of all time. Many naysayers say the dialouge does not sound real and is just terribly written,but to me the conversations sounded more realistic than some films. Personally I found the dialouge intresting and very lifelike. The acting is good on the most part,with a few exceptions. The audio is also exceptionally good. The background score is good and backs up exactly what is happening,and thats not all.Explosions sound like explosions,the wind sounds like it is blowing,and embers sound like their burning. All in all this is the most entertaing sci-fi film i have ever seen.It is a must see. Expand
  94. Aug 29, 2010
    It looks great and there is enough here to support video games and theme parks for years to come. Shame they forgot the story, script and acting. Cameron hasn't made a decent movie since Aliens (neither has Weaver). What a tragic waste - no wonder it was completely overlooked at the awards nights
  95. Nov 11, 2010
    A complete waste of good earned money and time. I would have rather watched a racoon cross the street for 3 hours . FINAL: a deliberate piss of trash
  96. Feb 13, 2011
    Save yourself some money. Blow the dust off of your old Pocahontas V.H.S, plug that baby in and TADA! Without all the glamour its the exact same thing, whithout even spending a dime! Don't be fooled people.
  97. Mar 9, 2011
    I honestly don't understand all the hype behind this, the story never really grabbed me and the characters weren't interesting, however I will give them credit for creating a unique alien movie as opposed to every aliens are invading movie that has been done over and over again, but it's still not that great, an ok movie from beginning to end.
  98. Mar 15, 2011
    Avatar may not impress all audiences on a narrative level, however, its breathtaking visuals, lavishing colors, and groundbreaking special effects certainly proves James Cameron's knack for filmmaking.
  99. Mar 5, 2011
    Dances with Wolves meets Fern Gully The Last Rainforest with a dose of white arrogance. Yes, it's pretty to look at sometimes, but past the fluffy eye candy visuals there's very little substance to this movie. I found myself rooting for the supposedly "evil" colonel halfway through the movie and hoping he would just blow away Jake Sully and his tree hugging friends and end the movie. AtDances with Wolves meets Fern Gully The Last Rainforest with a dose of white arrogance. Yes, it's pretty to look at sometimes, but past the fluffy eye candy visuals there's very little substance to this movie. I found myself rooting for the supposedly "evil" colonel halfway through the movie and hoping he would just blow away Jake Sully and his tree hugging friends and end the movie. At least the Colonel is honest and does exactly what he says he's going to do, and isn't a double talking snake in the grass like Jake Sully. This movie does a horrible injustice to fans of James Cameron, serious movie goers and manages to fall short of all the hype and positive reviews that proceeded me seeing it. So badly does it fail at being the cinematic masterpiece that so many people seem to hail it as, that I would consider it to be the most disappointing movie I've ever seen. This isn't a cinematic masterpiece, it's cinematic dreck. Expand
  100. Mar 14, 2011
    Film making technology so much ahead of its time. Now I know how people felt when they watched "King Kong" some 70 years ago. Best movie of all time.

1. A fully believable, flesh-and-blood (albeit not human flesh and blood) romance is the beating heart of "Avatar." Cameron has never made a movie just to show off visual pyrotechnics: Every bit of technology in "Avatar" serves the greater purpose of a deeply felt love story.
    It's been twelve years since "Titanic," but the King of the World has returned with a flawed but fantastic tour de force that, taken on its merits as a film, especially in two dimensions, warrants four stars. However, if you can wrap a pair of 3D glasses round your peepers, this becomes a transcendent, full-on five-star experience that's the closest we'll ever come to setting foot on a strange new world. Just don't leave it so long next time, eh, Jim?
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Avatar is all-enveloping and transporting, with Cameron & Co.'s years of R&D paying off with a film that, as his work has done before, raises the technical bar and throws down a challenge for the many other filmmakers toiling in the sci-fi/fantasy realm.